Thread: Recommended metal fabrication shop

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Default Recommended metal fabrication shop

Does anyone have a metal fab shop that can make small home products? I'm looking to mount some polyceramic glass fireplace doors on a 10 ga plate to cover a masonry fireplace opening.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Does anyone have a metal fab shop that can make small home products? I'm looking to mount some polyceramic glass fireplace doors on a 10 ga plate to cover a masonry fireplace opening.
    Call or email Tim at Special Metal Fabricating. They've done a number of small fabrication jobs for me.

[email protected]
    Parkdale

I'd rather C2E than work!

I used Mike at Forged North to make some metal tables legs for me. He was awesome; mocked up the legs in Sketchup, I approved them, and then he made them. (780) 885-8586
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Thank you for these contacts. It is very much appreciated.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Hello all!

So far, no one wants to play.

Any other suggestions?

There’s Simply Steel. I think it’s the same shop that used to be located on 124 st but is now at 107 Ave and about 169 st.

We were in the old location years ago. (Maybe 18-20 yrs ago.) Amazing pieces had been created and I loved the fuselage style bar chairs in the guy’s portfolio (holes in the legs like an old airplane fuselage. An idea I’d always wanted to revisit but have never had a place for them.)

Found this:
    Photo albums' index page
    http://www.simplysteel.ca/PhotoAlbumsPro/

http://www.simplysteel.ca/PhotoAlbums/album_1426277373/

Made in Edmonton: City artisan’s steel gates, tables, sculptures transform homes

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Made+...383/story.html

Also, I was just in a locksmith shop a couple days ago talking to a guy about installing mortise locks and the guy mentioned that they sometimes go to one of those awards/trophy shops to get metal plates for doors (alternative to escutcheon plates).
    Last edited by KC; 30-11-2018 at 07:39 PM.

I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Thanks! @Spudly, I tried that type of search, but this is more artisan and many shops just don't want to play. SO far, the odd backyard welder wants to try, but does not have a body of work to sample. This needs to fit an open space where a simple fireplace insert will not work. I have a line on an insert for another fireplace I have in the home...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

You should talk to Shawn Cunningham at Front Step Forge:

https://www.frontstepforge.com/
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Thanks Spudly. I will look at the forgeandfell site. The others more than likely want to just build art pieces. The key here is that this will cover a firebox, and many don't want to play with expansion tolerances, etc. That is why I thought a welder/millwright more familiar with pressure and refractioning would want this...it seems I am asking for a very specialized skill.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

It would be great to have a thread highlighting the creations of various local metalworkers.

The benefit of asking around, even to art-piece types, is that welders tend to know other welders, and can appreciate your tolerance needs enough to point you somewhere else, usually. And unless they're real d!cks, they like to help. And I have seen "art piece" fireplace screens somewhere, sometime, in my travels around here.

Given that you mention a firebox, I'd look at boilermakers. Or search "Edmonton Firebox Welding". Or https://www.smithsteel.ca/smokers, who make smokers.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

LOL...yup. I'm getting recommended to one freind or another by those who say no!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    It would be great to have a thread highlighting the creations of various local metalworkers.
    It is a bone I am throwing to some of the people who are nibbling at this project. A way to increase their portfolio...

Contact Tony Cooney at Schmidt Laserworks or G T Metal Products
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I want one of these...

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.