Thread: City of Edmontonís annexation application from Leduc County approved

Default City of Edmontonís annexation application from Leduc County approved

"The Government of Alberta, by way of an Order in Council signed Nov. 27, approved the City of Edmontonís annexation of land from Leduc County.
    Effective Jan. 1, 2019, 8,260 hectares (20,402 acres) of Leduc County land will become part of the City of Edmonton."
    Linky

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Credit where due. Mayor Don Iveson did a great job stick handling this issue with municipal neighbours (Leduc County, Town of Beaumont) who were fiercely opposed at the outset of the process.

C2E SME

Edmonton has been growing south very fast. I think it will be nice to have more land for residential development.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I thought they would have approved this some time ago. One month before it became a reality is a bit close
    ďCanada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,Ē-Marshall McLuhan

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^Credit where due. Mayor Don Iveson did a great job stick handling this issue with municipal neighbours (Leduc County, Town of Beaumont) who were fiercely opposed at the outset of the process.
    More to do with a provincial government that is open to the idea.
    ďCanada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,Ē-Marshall McLuhan

So Edmonton's borders will extend to Highway 19 with this annexation (101 Ave SW?).

It's crazy to think that Edmonton is as long (N-S) as Calgary now!

On one hand they spew on about climate change and then annex a massive amount of land to become further sprawled out ROFL.

Then people complain about the snow removal is not fast enough here, there, and everywhere; the win droves have been how many days... The entitlement is kind of sick imo.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Will the range roads and township roads be renamed to streets and avenues?

C2E SME

101 Avenue SW/Highway 19 will be 200 blocks south of downtown.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Well, Highway 37 is 259 Ave NW in the City's books even though it's technically just outside municipal limits.

Amusingly, Highway 19 actually has an official name: Alberta Trail, although I doubt anyone actually calls it that.

I'm not sure it's outside the city limits. I remember when 137 ave west of 127 st was the city border. The eastbound/south lanes were paved long before the westbound/north lanes were. Same situation in the west end before Edmonton annexed Jasper Place.

You can check it on the City website - incidentally, the annexed areas are already shown in the map although still outside of City boundaries. It's sort of like how Sherwood Park Freeway east of 34 St NW or Yellowhead Trail east of the Henday is right on the edge of the City borders.

http://maps.edmonton.ca/map.aspx

It irks me mildly that Google maps does not show the boundaries for Edmonton like it does for other cities.
    Last edited by Foolworm; Yesterday at 10:42 PM.