Thread: Beer Growlers and interchanges

Default Beer Growlers and interchanges

What are others' experiences with the 'growlers' that are becoming ever more popular on the local craft beer scene as it relates to getting them filled at various stores/breweries? Do most prefer to only fill their own bottles? I see the pros and cons of this but wondering if other beer drinkers have some intel. I'm trying to avoid having 9 or 10 different growler bottles. Options are: I can buy generic stainless steel or glass ones (but would prefer to use the ones I have) or go to a multi tap store like Sherbrooke or Little Guy and fill what I wish. Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by bpeters; 03-12-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

First One is Always Free

I've never had a brewer even look twice at what growler I've brought in. The point of having a growler is that it is reusable, needing different one for each brewery you support would kinda defeat the purpose. They don't make their money selling the glass, they make it selling the beer. On top of that, most craft brewers tend to have a pretty good relationship with other craft brewers, so I can't imagine it ever being an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tristin.deveau View Post
    I've never had a brewer even look twice at what growler I've brought in. The point of having a growler is that it is reusable, needing different one for each brewery you support would kinda defeat the purpose. They don't make their money selling the glass, they make it selling the beer. On top of that, most craft brewers tend to have a pretty good relationship with other craft brewers, so I can't imagine it ever being an issue.
    Working in the industry I can say it doesn't matter one bit, and I agree that the brewers have good relationships with each other, from one brewers borrowing equipment to collaborations of brews, the craft beer industry is pretty laid back.
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

Quote Originally Posted by tristin.deveau View Post
    I agree on the relationships between most of the local brewers. They all seem pretty cool with each other and most cross-market with each other. The defeat the purpose comment is risky though should I serve a brew to a guest, they don't like it, look to the bottle and assume it's from that brewery. I'm not giving a biography on what beer they're drinking everytime I pour a glass.
    Thanks for the responses.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I'd rather C2E than work!

It doesn't matter. In fact at some small breweries if they get a growler they haven't seen before they might ask if you want to exchange it for one of theirs because they often display other craft brewers' growlers as a form of local solidarity.

C2E SME

I haven't filled my insulated Stanley growler in Edmonton, but the Jasper Brew Co. never has a concern with filling it. Highly recommended: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5043-395/Vacuum-Growler

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    It doesn't matter. In fact at some small breweries if they get a growler they haven't seen before they might ask if you want to exchange it for one of theirs because they often display other craft brewers' growlers as a form of local solidarity.
    some of that might be "solidarity" but some of it is also the good pr and exposure from their beer being poured from their growlers, particularly if it's being poured for someone new who turns out to like it (you wouldn't want them to go buy someone else's beer because yours was poured out of one of their growlers ).
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    some of that might be "solidarity" but some of it is also the good pr and exposure from their beer being poured from their growlers, particularly if it's being poured for someone new who turns out to like it (you wouldn't want them to go buy someone else's beer because yours was poured out of one of their growlers ).
    That definitely plays into it too. Either way, if you show up with a growler to fill you're going to leave with a full growler.