Thread: Wexford - 10420 103 - Residential - Proposed

Default Wexford - 10420-103 Ave - Residential - Proposed

Rumored to be rental and 35-40 stories with construction to start late 2020.

Walked by the site around 17:30 today, and there was a truck doing what I would assume were core samples in the parking stalls on the west side of the old Sky residence building which is up for short term lease.

http://wexforddevelopments.com/location/10420-103-avenue/

Last edited by Kreation; 06-12-2018 at 12:18 AM.

great spot to put it ! one more non historic ugly building gone and i like the height !

C2E Continued Contributor

R.I.P south facing neighbours. those places ain't cheap either

C2E Long Term Contributor

Looking forward to what they propose here.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    I was going to say...you're making your south units in this new tower hard to sell because it just faces into another tower - but then rereading the OP, it might be a rental, so maybe not a big of a concern.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    I was going to say...you're making your south units in this new tower hard to sell because it just faces into another tower - but then rereading the OP, it might be a rental, so maybe not a big of a concern.

There is no tower to the south of this lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

oops west...and i mis read his post. Excelsior loft will get sun shaded for sure.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Yes, that is what I think he was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

I think they meant the south of Excelsior loft...

That depends on how they design that. They could easily shrink the podium from the north elevation and just expose the columns up to the roof line of Excelsior, and do some nice landscape to accommodate them. You just have to image a solution rather than think the podium has to abute all the way to the property line. In fact, they could easily have that area as the entrance. Where Excelsor's parkade entrance is, apply a nice frosted glass concealment wall.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Whats the gorgeous building just north of the lot?
    Friendly neighborhood (non-double poster) photographer.

Excelsor loft which was once a warehouse and where the old iconic "Flashback" use to be. The roof penthouse floor was an add on.

C2E SME

This would definitely help finish off this street.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Excelsor loft which was once a warehouse and where the old iconic "Flashback" use to be. The roof penthouse floor was an add on.

Ahhh Flashback.....The place was way ahead of its time. Specially in little old Edmonton in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post

Ahhh Flashback.....The place was way ahead of its time. Specially in little old Edmonton in the 80s.
    The simpler times... sigh.

flashback? fill me in?

welcome to life downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    flashback? fill me in?
    Alternative nightclub ahead of its time that ended in the very beginning of the 90s. Music was incredible and so different than anything Edmonton had at that time.

flashback? fill me in?
    Alternative nightclub ahead of its time that ended in the very beginning of the 90s. Music was incredible and so different than anything Edmonton had at that time.
    It was one of the best nightclubs whether you were gay or not. 104 had some good life in the 80s. Flashback, Roust, Kreig after hour. Also the club in the Sheraton Caravan.

Geotech coring is done, parking lot is back open. However they've left the test holes covered up so they can access them again. My guess is geotech in that area is just as iffy as Stantec and 7th Street sites.
    www.decl.org

Sand deposits no?
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Yes. Apparently it played a big part in cutting down the height of Tower BG, as going much past 40 floors starts to make a very large raft slab a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Yes. Apparently it played a big part in cutting down the height of Tower BG, as going much past 40 floors starts to make a very large raft slab a requirement.
    Interesting, is edmonton really that far from bedrock? i know we sit on ALOT of clay but that much?

There was a very informative geotech map/guide kicking around, probably can find it if you want to.
    www.decl.org

Pretty much everything above river-bed level is clay and sediments. You finally hit a soft sandstone about that far down.
    There can only be one.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Interesting, is edmonton really that far from bedrock? i know we sit on ALOT of clay but that much?
    I'm the wrong guy to ask for any definitive answer, but my understanding is that there are pockets of sandy sediment in areas of downtown that can result in additional foundation structure being needed. The Parliament (109 street + 100 avenue) needed a pretty significant raft slab for the same reason, and that one was only 14 or so stories I believe.

So basically downtown was built in a rough area. Sand... coal mines.. and water. My understanding is, north of 104th used to be a swamp and the water table is a disaster. Im doing a site downtown at the moment, where you can stab a shovel in the ground 2' and water starts pooling in.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Encore is basically on a sand deposit you can see it on some of the pictures of the excavation.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

For those who want to read more about the geotechnical conditions encountered in the Ice District, give this article a read. I went to a presentation on the topic and it was very interesting.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ndation_Design

cool read!

In the thread about the building on Jasper and 95 St. (can't remember its name, the one that was a big pit for a while) I made a reference to a geotech report from the 70s for the downtown area. From what I remember the Stantech tower was just on the edge of a sandy zone. Wish I could find it again but searching is not so good on this board.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

^^Thanks for posting that, informative.
    www.decl.org