Thread: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 Season

C2E SME

Default Edmonton Eskimos 2019 Season

Eskimos sign Harris and Ellingson from Ottawa.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Good day for the Eskimos in free agency. Multiple other additions.

With Rhodes gone next week did this somehow free up Sunderland to do more, a greenlight of sorts. The Esks are very active in procurement today, more than ever under this management. is winning again the main thing? Have the Esks heard the fans concerns?

its tough to lose Reilly, but this is rounding into a better club on paper.

I didn't think I would be stating that.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

I've heard good things about Harris..
    Time for a change..

C2E Long Term Contributor

Sucks to lose Reilly but we've got some good names coming our way. Plus Rhodes will finally be gone soon.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The moves made yesterday by Brock have me excited for this upcoming season now.

Losing Mike hurts, no question. But we missed the playoffs last year. Changes had to be made. This is now totally Brock's team. Lots of Ed's guys are gone.

With the poundings that Reilly has taken, we may have had his best years.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I take back all my Sock Blunderlands ....

Harris isn't Reilly, but he's not chopped liver either.

Addition of Ellingston and others means our seemingly decimated receiving core as a result of NFL-bound stars is back on track.

Bonus though - is three all-star linebackers!

Oh, and an all-star offensive lineman.

O.K. Brock, you get your proper name back. Well done.
    ... gobsmacked

Let's hope all these signings turn into a winning team on the field this year.

Anthony Parker signs with the good guys.

Tevaun Smith has his back up.

Argos sign Derel Walker
    Lions sign Aaron Grymes
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Mike who? Okay not really, but Trevor seems keen and happy..

Trevor said all the REDBLACKS guys who came over are happy to be here and now consider themselves Edmonton Eskimos.

I'm actually pumped for the season to start. And with Rhodes gone, I'm even considering buying season tickets again!

The rumour mill is churning at full speed with news that Len Rhodes, outgoing President and CEO of the Edmonton Eskimos, is on the verge of being appointed by Jason Kenney as the United Conservative Party candidate in Edmonton-Meadows.

Not a rumour anymore:

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/len-rhod...dows-1.4307100

Too bad for Len, (not that I have any sympathy for him). Had he run in Calgary - where his near-ruination of the once famed Eskie franchise was cheered - he'd have won in a landslide.

True or not, this will be seen as a racist move by Kenney to put two hardworking candidates out of the mix and b) (further) proof of Kenney's disdain for the rank and file.
    Last edited by McBoo; 21-02-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    ... gobsmacked

^Please no! That be a major step back. What a terrible thought.

Keep in mind that he's being rumoured for CEO - nothing to do with football ops.

I did an "Easter egg" collection of stories for the Edmonton Sports Scene. Here's the Esks segment:

"The Edmonton Eskimos are going about business as usual even though it is really anything but that. With each passing year the team faces mounting pressure to move away from the Eskimos moniker. It does not matter what your name is if your league goes to a lockout or strike..."

Read more at http://wincolumnsports.ca/edmonton-s...dies-stingers/
    http://wincolumnsports.ca

Has anyone been out to any training camp sessions so far this year? I think I'm going to go this Saturday with the new little one to check it out.

Had a chance to hear Sunderland recently discuss building this team. I like the guy and what he’s doing. He’s a man with a plan.

The linebacking corps will be the strength, I think. I can hardly wait for Friday.

C2E SME

Good win for the Esks last night!

They really have to stop the flag bleeding... they're giving up a field's worth of yards, like last year.

I do hope Mike Reilly doesn't have to keep pushing his physical luck. Landing on his head/neck was just plain fluke - we could have seen something pretty ugly on national TV.

They looked like a team that wants to win . I hope it stays that way, but the penalties they took, dumb!
    Poor Mike Reilly, he hasn't found his groove yet, but he will..
    Who was the guy that refused to shake hands with Harris a former EE..? poor sport
    Animals are my passion.

I can't believe the beating Reilly took from the Eskimos on Friday.

I have to say that I already like the look of this year's Eskimos WAY more than last year. The biggest difference is that the defensive secondary looks a lot more aggressive, and they have some linebackers who can actually stop the opponents' running backs. The only real problem is penalties.

The defensive coordinator has had a big influence on the change to our defence. It's been night and day between him and Mike Benevides, the old DC.

Our offense moves the ball so effectively too. Teams will adjust to that as the season goes on but right now we look pretty good out there.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Eskimos have started very well this year, but what's up with the attendance. When have we ever had consecutive crowds of 24,000 and 25,000. That's down about 6,000 per game from last year.

Just a guess, but I'd say what's up with attendance is what happened last year.

Eskies win - crowds will be back.
    ... gobsmacked

We were there, and it was a noisy crowd..LOL

I was expecting a downpour, and it never came
    Animals are my passion.

Hopefully but 5,000 -6,000 a game is a significant drop when you only play 10 home games a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Eskimos have started very well this year, but what's up with the attendance. When have we ever had consecutive crowds of 24,000 and 25,000. That's down about 6,000 per game from last year.
    As mentioned above this post, the way the Esks finished last season turned off a lot of fans.

Weather is a factor too. Even though there was no rain at both home games, the pre-game forecast and the shaky clouds scared people from attending.

I know at least 6 people who did not renew their season tickets this year. The main factor is Commonwealth is not hosting the Grey Cup this season. I guess they are not true Eskimos fans but I'm sure there are many other folks who did not renew for that reason.

The main reason why attendance is disappointing is the back-to-back opening home games happened in mid-June. Traditionally the CFL doesn't start until Canada Day. But now the schedule is bumped up earlier. It's hard to get excited about Canadian football when kids are still in school and the NBA and NHL championships were decided less than a week before the football home opener.

It's quite possible that many people were more interested in the NHL Draft than an early CFL game.

Len Rhodes and the way he ran the team turned off a few fans too. I know about 10 fans who didn't renew this year, and had nothing to do with the Grey Cup not being here.

I hope going forward the attendance goes up going forward because that stadium looks so empty on TV when 24,000 is the announced attendance.

Terry Jones column on Eskimos attendance:

Is it June football?

Has it been a combination of cold, wet weather and the air quality of the wildfires that preceded the two games?

Has it been a result of the Alberta economy and the oil pipeline problem?

Has it all been the fallout of missing the playoffs for the 12th time in the past 70 seasons and doing it on the occasion of the most ballistic hosting of a Grey Cup game in history?

Has the now six-month delay in replacing Len Rhodes as president and CEO been a primary reason for the dramatic drop?

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/footb...box=1561644835

Best part of the article:

“We have had feedback about affordability. Our staff is working extremely hard at coming up with initiatives that will help us sell more tickets. For example, we’re introducing $5.25 beer and $2.25 hot dogs.”
    About time a sports venue charges beer and hot dogs at real-world prices.

C2E Continued Contributor

I have an awesome idea for a BoA:

Ten Cent Beer Night.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

That might help people ignore the Eskimos giving away over a field's worth of yards to penalties.

Add that to receivers with the dropsys, and tonight the Esks lose to Winnipeg, 28-21.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Best part of the article:

“We have had feedback about affordability. Our staff is working extremely hard at coming up with initiatives that will help us sell more tickets. For example, we’re introducing $5.25 beer and $2.25 hot dogs.”
    About time a sports venue charges beer and hot dogs at real-world prices.

So people should still pay inordinately to go to a substandard product so that they can get still overpriced beer and hot dogs? The ticket price pointing is a huge issue. In a post boom economy these prices, for this product, is not tenable. The beer and hot dogs carrot is a little demeaning as well. The product is football. People aren't going to go to a game to get a beer and a hot dog. That enticement is fairly meaningless.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Darn, they lost. We forgot it was on, but I could have caught the ball better. Problems with..offence , penalties,.sigh..
    July 11 th next game, against BC
    Animals are my passion.

Stop making your customers pay $50 to sit in the nosebleeds! It ludicrous!

As for last nights games, penalties and our offense not being able to convert for a TD hurt us.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

In the dying minutes it seemed like no one could catch the ball

I am liking the aggressive defense and ball-control offense.

If the Eskimos can get their penalty problems to a reasonable amount, I think this is a team that can win the Grey Cup.

Eskimos concerned about attendance, offering GA for $22-25 all in, but in the endzone stands and free for U17 through the Calgary Labour Day rematch.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/f...ing-attendance
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Good for Eskies, though I still think this is a hangover from the 2018 crash-and-burn 2nd half of the season.

From what I've seen, they have an exciting offensive scheme this year and (sometimes too) aggressive defense.

Win and the crowds will be back.
    ... gobsmacked

I wonder how much the rain-plagued weather has had to due with poor attendance?

Big win for the boys last night!

Our D-line is unreal. They were all over Reilly last night and he had no time to do anything.

Glad to see Harris was ok after that hit from Odell. Looked like it could have been a bad injury.

Yep, nice win. Three TD's to break the field goal monotony vs. the Bombers.

But face it, the Leos are Gawd awful. I think the Golden Bears would give them a run for the money.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Yep, nice win. Three TD's to break the field goal monotony vs. the Bombers.

But face it, the Leos are Gawd awful. I think the Golden Bears would give them a run for the money.
    Their O-line is atrocious. Just awful. It's like a turnstile when they are rushed by more than 4 guys.

Default Ricky Ray named to wall of fame

Ricky Ray’s pro football career has finally hit a wall.
    Make that the wall, as one of the greatest to wear green and gold will have his name placed on the Edmonton Eskimos Wall of Honour, the club announced Tuesday morning.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-eskimos/ricky-ray-named-to-edmonton-eskimos-wall-of-honour/wcm/cc7328c8-212c-45f1-81fa-b883e27b5542

One of the best I ever saw play for the Eskimos at any position.

The fact he is going on the wall so quickly after he announced his retirement shouldn't be a shock to anyone. He's one of the best the Eskimos and the CFL have seen play.

Great to see this for Ray. He was a great quarterback.

Cool hand Luke ....

Class act and another generation's true green and gold hero.
    ... gobsmacked

Esks win their first shutout since 2003 - that was before C2E even existed!

C2E SME

Shaq Cooper had a great night!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Esks win their first shutout since 2003 - that was before C2E even existed!
    Mistaken tweet. Their last shutout was in 2014.

Just over 30,000 attendance. Not bad for a Thursday night game with poor weather most of the day and competing with K-days.

The $22 endzone seats were full. But I wonder why only the top 1/3 of the endzone seats (7 rows) were open? The rest of the seats were tarped-up. The $22 section can be very popular especially when Calgary and Saskatchewan visits. Instead of doing the promotion half-assed, the Eskimos should open the WHOLE end zone seating.

Perhaps they're opened as needed.

Blah! The Eskimos lost to Winnipeg against their 2nd string QB.

Edmonton's offense was non-existent. Not sure if I should give the Bombers defence credit or blame the bad play calling on Edmonton's part.

Also, it's true what I read 2 days ago. Chris Streveler is more suited to beat the Eskies than Nichols. This is especially true when Andrew Harris provides the 1-2 punch.

Not sure if I should give the Bombers defence credit or blame the bad play calling on Edmonton's part.
    Definitely the latter, which means Jason Maas should be sacked.

Blah! The Eskimos lost to Winnipeg against their 2nd string QB.

Edmonton's offense was non-existent. Not sure if I should give the Bombers defence credit or blame the bad play calling on Edmonton's part.

Also, it's true what I read 2 days ago. Chris Streveler is more suited to beat the Eskies than Nichols. This is especially true when Andrew Harris provides the 1-2 punch.
    Its a bid misguided to focus on the QB as the QB is not why Winnipeg Wins. Winnipeg wins because they have an allstar D, and allstar (and one of the best ever) RB. They have an allstar punter, FG kicker. Superlative coaching. You could insert any credible QB into that mix and Winnipeg is winning and Streveler adds some mobile facets that are a huge problem to contain. The mix of Streveler and Harris running gave the Esks D fits. It was the hardest to contain thing they have seen all season.

Streveler could be a special QB. Right now he's more comfortable with the running game and establishing that. When he starts trusting his passing more and making better reads look out. The specific trouble with the Streveler/Harris combo is they are both tanks and you have to tackle in numbers. They beat man on man tackles for fun. The Bombers scheme played it perfectly. Esks D never knew if they had to contain Harris run, or Strev's run, and all the plays were misdirection. Bombers coaching on a level not seen here for decades.

The Bombers running was particularly effective in the first half rain. Streveler may be the third most sought after quarterback in free agency this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    The Bombers running was particularly effective in the first half rain. Streveler may be the third most sought after quarterback in free agency this winter.
    The bombers would have to be nuts to go forward with the oft and easily injured aging Nichols, instead of Streveler.

I love watching him play. Wish we had him as an understudy to Harris.

But he deserves to be a starter, he's certainly hard enough to stop.

As fall roles around the game he and Harris plays will become more important. Smash mouth football, run it up teams throats.

The Esks used to do this with Tracy Ham in packages. There was no way to contain both Ham and the backfield.