Thread: Can hear every footstep in concrete build apartment

Default Can hear every footstep in concrete build apartment

Hi c2e!

Long time lurker here. Currently renting in The Oliver and I am typing this out as I sit in my living room hearing my upstairs neighbour walk around their unit. I rented in this building because of the all concrete build and the location. However, I can hear my upstairs neighbour walk around at all hours of the day. I can even hear the dog shuffle around and it's paws brushing around. Because the suite directly above mine is the exact same layout, I thought my bedroom would be better sound insulated from the carpet, I can still hear hard footsteps in there!

So my question is: does anyone live in this building and can you hear your upstairs neighbour?
    Second question is: does anyone live in a concrete high rise and still manage to hear their upstairs neighbour walking around, almost like its a wood framed build?

Thanks,
    Comm0n

Laminate floors? There's only a mousepad between them and the concrete.
    I only hear my upstairs neighbours when they're wresting or herding livestock.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I'd rather C2E than work!

We lived in a concrete high rise , thick slabs between each floor. We never heard a thing. Wonderfully quiet. Are you sure it's concrete, imagine if it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Laminate floors? There's only a mousepad between them and the concrete.
    I only hear my upstairs neighbours when they're wresting or herding livestock.
    yes, either laminate or engineered hardwood floors. Even if there is a thin layer between the flooring and the concrete floor, I do not think I should hear or feel every foot step from my upstairs neighbour. I've tried to increase my TV and put on headphones but I can still hear their footsteps!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    We lived in a concrete high rise , thick slabs between each floor. We never heard a thing. Wonderfully quiet. Are you sure it's concrete, imagine if it wasn't.
    Yes positive it is a concrete building. There are even pictures of the entire build process in "The Oliver" thread here on c2e.

C2E SME

Yeah, 8" concrete slabs on typical floors, I believe.

I used to have hearing like that once.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

It'll be laminate - it's cheap and people think it's "modern." There's only a mousepad between laminate and concrete. I used to live in such a place with a neighbour who liked wearing high heels, and vacuuming frequently. There's not a lot you can do.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

I highly doubt that you can hear their "dog shuffle around and it's paws brushing around" let alone normal footsteps unless you have the ears of an owl. I lived in several concrete floor apartments and only in extreme cases you could hear anything through concrete floors.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I think the floor above us had laminate, and we heard nothing at all.

I heard the Highland apartments had issues with that as well at one time. Even if the slab grade was 6" , that should be enough to barricade sounds.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I heard the Highland apartments had issues with that as well at one time. Even if the slab grade was 6" , that should be enough to barricade sounds.
    If a person above you is a heavy walker or walks around in high heals there is little or nothing you can do other than wage war and hold your speakers to the Celing.

Highheels could... yes, but concrete should absorb heavy feet though. This just has my mind wondering if the slabs were vibrated and condensed properly lol.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Acoustic underlayment is required under a hard floor, even in a concrete building. I'm assuming this was not done. Most who have enjoyed quiet concrete buildings likely lived in buildings where proper underlayments were installed - otherwise, yes, you do hear things. Unfortunately, some hardwood flooring installers and developers seem unaware of this requirement.