Thread: Great Canadian Railway Journeys Episode 14 Edmonton

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Great Canadian Railway Journeys Episode 14 Edmonton

Michael Portillo continues west through the Canadian Prairie on his thousand-mile rail journey from Winnipeg, Manitoba, to Jasper, Alberta. Following his 1899 Appleton's guide, Michael explores a glossy, glassy oil-rich Edmonton, second city of Alberta. On the banks of the North Saskatchewan River, he travels three centuries back in time to experience the life of "les voyageurs", who travelled huge distances within Canada by foot and canoe to trade fur with indigenous people for sale in Europe. Michael admires Edmonton's early 20th-century heritage streetcars, preserved by the Radial Railway Society, and seizes the chance to drive one across a spectacular high-level bridge over the North Saskatchewan River. At the beautiful 1913 Alberta Legislature building, Michael discovers how a crucial ceremonial omission was ingeniously made good - with some curious bric a brac. The city prides itself on its modern light rail system, offering rapid transit to 80 million passengers per year. Michael hears how this growing city plans to keep pace.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Thank you so much for posting that. It’s sinply amazing! What a great outsiders perspective of our city!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Wish they'd had better weather for some of it.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Really! Amazing shots, great story telling and promotion and you make note of it rained one day during shooting. You think Brits are going to be put off by rain.....

What has happened to this place. You are all so negative.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

What a great episode, yeah, it rained. But, the shot were great and I have done most of those when my relatives come here. Edmonton is a great place to live, work and play !

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Really! Amazing shots, great story telling and promotion and you make note of it rained one day during shooting. You think Brits are going to be put off by rain.....

What has happened to this place. You are all so negative.
    Get some more sleep, mate. And, no, as a Brit, I'm not put off by a bit of rain.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I enjoyed it, and enjoy this train series and his jaunts around the world but it was a bit missing and off in some aspects. As travelogues typically are. A bit too much specific focus as well. U Of A geology dept for instance a bit of an odd stop and spent a considerable time on that segment. This being a major consequence, obviously, of no RAM being open at the time so big loss of exposure in that.

I did like the focus on the parks system and the river.

The shots of AGA were bad shots, basically the back. The timing was kind of bad because this is DT under construction and they were probably impeded in what they could do. Don't recall any shot of the Mac Hotel, Funicular. They got a bit of Shaw Conference Center, LMP, I think.

No coverage of the Arena district or much of anything else DT. DT lovers can't be too impressed. They covered Old Strath and the Street Car and legislature more. By its omission you wonder how nondescript they found the DT area. The Pearl did look nice in a couple of the shots from across the river.

Good coverage of the LRT system.

I do like how much focus the river and rails got. It is the history of the place and this series focuses on history.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

The companion post to this is bigtime exposure lost and the show in itself featured many well known Edmonton traits of not respecting history or maintaining it.

In Britain, in Europe, and most places in the world rail is loved, respected, and seen as a pretty good way to travel and see areas you are visiting. Edmonton completely disrespects that and has always.

So that we have abandoned rail networks that are no more. A completely abandoned streetcar system, only the resurrected component, which the host of the program obviously loved the most during his visit here, but which segue featured how Edmonton once had a considerable grand streetcar system and abandoned it. Shameless.

Edmonton also has the most deplorable and sad train station in all of Canada for any major city and so the broadcast could not feature any grand Train station like it does in any other city. it pretty much has to ignore that there even is one. it got 1.5secs coverage, fortunately. No mention either of it not being DT, fortunately. This too sad as the Via Rail station used to be DT in CN Tower which would give a nice lead to the Art Deco CN tower.

That no RAM was operating was a major blow as obviously this series focuses on history and had to go looking as far as University to find some paleontology connection. The former RAM, also located at the foot of our wonderful River Valley would have featured so much nicer, instead of nothing.

The whole aspect of the DT would look closed, under construction.

I think people that are not familiar with the series would not know how many amazing places, even off the typical travel places the series has featured around the world. To those familiar with the series this one was more like Paradise lost. No great theaters DT, Very few historic buildings left, So much of our previous rail infrastructure lost. One would think this was a bombed out place that had survived a major war and lost most of its treasures. One wouldn't think all this historical disgrace was a result of planning and *progress*

We might not care about these things but the viewers that follow this program world wide and more specifically on BBC, and PBS do, and they would not be too enticed other than thinking this stop on ay tour was certainly not a must. Interesting perhaps, pleasant, but when the most featured things are the river valley, Paleontology of the region, and a small redo streetcar on HLB, and the Leg, old Strathcona, it makes one wonder what the overall impression was of the Edmonton build out and progress over the last 80-100yrs. Only the LRT got some love as far as anything modern.

Oh well, we started well as a city. I think people seeing the program might rather have visited the quaint budding Edmonton of close to a Century ago.

Odd they didn't even go to Fort Edmonton where most of our history is, other than the Ft Edmonton landing.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

And odd that they looked at rocks for quite a while and passed over the steam train in Fort Edmonton. But it did show Edmonton well.

I think the Ft. Edmonton steam train is down for major repairs and hasn't been and won't be running for a while.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

They're rebuilding the train barn as it was in danger of collapse. They're taking advantage of the downtime to work on the train at the same time.

City gives go ahead for $6.3M train barn at Fort Edmonton Park

The barn was built 40 years ago by volunteers and has lasted longer than it probably should have, according to Jason Meliefste, branch manager of Infrastructure Planning and Design with the City of Edmonton.

The barn, which is used to house the train for regular maintenance, is structurally unstable and no longer a safe working space.

During debate Tuesday, council heard that without the barn, there would be no train at Fort Edmonton Park.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4463793/f...rk-train-barn/

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    The companion post to this is bigtime exposure lost and the show in itself featured many well known Edmonton traits of not respecting history or maintaining it.

In Britain, in Europe, and most places in the world rail is loved, respected, and seen as a pretty good way to travel and see areas you are visiting. Edmonton completely disrespects that and has always.

So that we have abandoned rail networks that are no more. A completely abandoned streetcar system, only the resurrected component, which the host of the program obviously loved the most during his visit here, but which segue featured how Edmonton once had a considerable grand streetcar system and abandoned it. Shameless.

Edmonton also has the most deplorable and sad train station in all of Canada for any major city and so the broadcast could not feature any grand Train station like it does in any other city. it pretty much has to ignore that there even is one. it got 1.5secs coverage, fortunately. No mention either of it not being DT, fortunately. This too sad as the Via Rail station used to be DT in CN Tower which would give a nice lead to the Art Deco CN tower.

That no RAM was operating was a major blow as obviously this series focuses on history and had to go looking as far as University to find some paleontology connection. The former RAM, also located at the foot of our wonderful River Valley would have featured so much nicer, instead of nothing.

The whole aspect of the DT would look closed, under construction.

I think people that are not familiar with the series would not know how many amazing places, even off the typical travel places the series has featured around the world. To those familiar with the series this one was more like Paradise lost. No great theaters DT, Very few historic buildings left, So much of our previous rail infrastructure lost. One would think this was a bombed out place that had survived a major war and lost most of its treasures. One wouldn't think all this historical disgrace was a result of planning and *progress*

We might not care about these things but the viewers that follow this program world wide and more specifically on BBC, and PBS do, and they would not be too enticed other than thinking this stop on ay tour was certainly not a must. Interesting perhaps, pleasant, but when the most featured things are the river valley, Paleontology of the region, and a small redo streetcar on HLB, and the Leg, old Strathcona, it makes one wonder what the overall impression was of the Edmonton build out and progress over the last 80-100yrs. Only the LRT got some love as far as anything modern.

Oh well, we started well as a city. I think people seeing the program might rather have visited the quaint budding Edmonton of close to a Century ago.

Odd they didn't even go to Fort Edmonton where most of our history is, other than the Ft Edmonton landing.
    blah blah blah.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Not sure how this program works, but a lot of travel writers get free trips and accommodation in exchange for covering what the organizers want them to cover. Never understood why Travel Alberta made the writers visit the Leg, whose architecture is hardly unique.

That said, I did find the story of the mace really interesting.

At "the" mall, we'd give them a brief tour, lots of photos and then comp them for Galaxyland and the water park. Worked every time!
    ... gobsmacked