Thread: Local Edmonton and area breweries. Lets hear your reviews.

Default Local Edmonton and area breweries. Lets hear your reviews.

I like beer. I like craft beer. And I admire the entrepreneurial spirit. There are some options for the beer crowd in Edmonton and area. Post your thoughts, ideas and impressions, warts and all on the local breweries. IMO, there's not a 'one size fits all' for this genre. I've been to well over a dozen local providers and through discussion with some owners I'm somewhat aware of what the costs etc. may be to set up a brewery etc. and for arguments sake to some degree these costs are consistent with the other breweries. Discussion items can be beer; selection and taste, ambience, decor, service; table or walk up, etc. I'm no expert but I put the breweries into 3 categories (I'm open to more); Your 'try and take out' like Bent Stick or S.Y.C. (brewery with minimal AGLC food requirement (this can literally be a bowl of Doritos), your 'tweeners' (The brewery that provides a somewhat higher level of food offerings but not a restaurant per se. Most breweries seem to be in this category), and the Resto/Brewery like Brewsters or Blind Enthusiasm (Biera). Craft beer drinkers won't likely all agree on any posts henceforth; Eg. I know some that like a vibe of a place but the beer.... not so much. If I like the product I'll totally overlook the ambience. Lets start a discussion.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Went on a bit of a brewery tour(y?) this past weekend to check out some of the newer offerings. Started at Odd Company in the new Oliver Exchange building. It's a small place, and it was absolutely packed. They offer food (Grilled Cheese, hot dogs + chips, etc) which all looked pretty good, but I didn't partake. For a small, new brewer I was surprised that they had maybe 8 or 9 of their own brews available as well as one from Towne Square, and I think one or two from Brewster's.

Their Saison Sour was good, but not nearly as sour as I was expecting. An introductory sour beer. Would be amazing on a hot day or if you're new to the sour beers. Refreshing and light. I also had to try to White Stout, as that's not something you see every day. It looks like a Pilsner, tastes and smells like coffee, and feels like a stout when drinking. Definitely a must-try if you're adventurous.

I recently tried Blindman brewing and really liked their lemons and lime beer. https://www.blindmanbrewing.com/

(Out of Lacombe)

Yup Blindman is a gooder. Local boys but had to relocate for the space to brew larger batches.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Yeah, I'm down with Blindman. There's plenty of good IPAs out there but their Longshadows brew is among the tastiest. Yum.

However ... sour beer?

Bitter, good. Sour, bad.

No sours are great. Brewers are getting very creative with them. Local examples being Towne Square's 'Beets By Sinden', Situation's various wild fermentations, and Blindman's lemon lime. A while back I even tried a sour patch kids pale ale at Cold Garden in Calgary.

Two Sergeants. In short? Disappointed. Not trying to be insulting or beat down an entrepreneur. . 2Sergeants left me wanting more. Beer selection was average. The two beers I tried were less than memorable. But what struck me was the ambience. What is it trying to be? Tables covered in paint drizzle and all the chairs are individually painted different colors (see their website). I walked in thinking I entered a children's daycare. Others may like it, I guess. Looks like it was decorated on the cheap. The re-purposed building they are in has the bones to be so much more. Some good brick and mortar there, now fill in the 'spaces'. Windows are in the front 'take out' area so the rear of the space is the seating. Ok, it's gonna be dark. But you can work with dark spaces. I know they are likely not trying to appeal to just my tastes but given the ever increasing brewery options in Edmonton I'm likely not going back. Looks like they provide a venue for some entertainment so I bet that's popular with that segment but unless the entertainment is great I'm likely not going. I hope no one finds this post in bad taste, I'm not trying to deter anyone from going. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by bpeters; 22-05-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

One brewery I've gone to repeatedly is Town Square Brewing. Great beers. Good service. Their limited edition 'First Anniversary' IPA was my benchmark for other IPA's. Their Cornerstone IPA is good as well. I'll go wherever for a good bevvie but have had others say "Town Square?, oh that's too far away." Really? Ellerslie Road is "too far"? However I am getting a sense that location will dictate your clientele to some degree. If it's your 'local' brewery you may frequent for that exact reason, it's convenient.

If you could, and since you're here already anyway, it would help to know where these places are.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Towne Square is a great all-around brewery. Great food, both adventurous and relatively safe brews, space just big enough to be able to have 'dinner', but small enough to encourage turnover and off-sales. Honestly my only complaint about Towne Square is that their delivery method for flights is super basic. Just a square piece of wood. So many other places get creative here and I think it's an opportunity for them to differentiate.

Two Sergeants - I liked their tequila lime beer, and the oatmeal stout was pretty good. I agree that I'm not sure what their vision is for the space. It's absolutely huge. Multi-coloured tables and chairs, there are arcade games, a stage for musical acts (I think Saturdays), etc. There is an off-sales bar, a separate room way at the back, and it all really seems disconnected. The food was good, and I hear their entrees are fantastic. It seems like too many cooks in the kitchen or maybe just trying to appeal to everyone and in the process creating too much noise.

I had a chance to try Omen Brewing, in the industrial area just west of Ritchie. When I was there, only one beer on tap was light coloured, the rest all falling into the dark colouration, which suited my taste just fine. I particularly liked the black IPA and roggenbier. No food available, although they did bring party mix around to our table. Definitely more of a "try it and carry out" sort of place. Looks like they have added a summer wheat beer, so I will have to be back to give it a try.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I liked Two Sergeants (fish tacos were excellent!) but I agree the space is a little odd. I can't see myself going there unless it's cold outside -- I'd much rather be having my beer on a patio, or at least a place with windows to the outside.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Town Square Brewing - 2919 Ellwood Dr SW, Edmonton
    Two Sergeants Brewing -
    11817 105 Ave NW, Edmonton

Endeavour in St Albert in Campbell Park industrial area. but closer to North west Edmonton. Behind the new Alberta Liquor Warehouse. Beer is great, food selection is small and the space is small but I go for the beer.Another on I go to quite often is Situation just south of White Ave.Been to Blind Enthusiasm a few time.

Finally got around to Towne Square for the 'Year 2 IPA'. I was a big fan of the First Anniversary IPA so expectations were high. And they didn't disappoint. Year 2 was great. I like this brewery.

C2E SME

I've popped in to Campio a few times since they've opened. I've tried most of their beers, and they're all pretty good to my taste. I lean towards hoppy beers, but even their Abbey Ale was very good. Food has also been excellent in the 3 menu items I've tried (pizza, chicken club, short rib brunch). It's also seemed to be quite well attended, even on sleepy Saturday/Sunday afternoons. Great addition to the area. Their patio will be awesome in the summer, as well.

C2E Long Term Contributor

We were there for brunch yesterday and it was about 1/2 full, but with little advertising thus far and FAMILY FRIENDLY!

Their signature malt beer is delicious.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Campio Abeertasourus and All Malt Lager are their best. Yellowhead has a great new saison, forget the exact name.

Beyond that, my top for Edmonton area are SYC, Endevour and Odd Company. Central Alberta for Blindman and Troubled Monk.
    www.decl.org