Thread: How to find a reliable tradesmen?

Default How to find a reliable tradesmen?

I need some floor renovation in my house. My options as far as I know are using a business or find someone through Kijiji. I don't have any friends that could do renovation work cheaply. I got mixed results using someone through Kijiji.

Can someone advise what is the best course of action to get a floor replaced at good quality and value ?

Would it be better to use a reliable business as they are more apt to be around for long time and stand behind their work even if it costs more? I don't mind paying more if it means peace of mind but I do have a budget.

Any advice or references appreciated.

I did a reno in one of my rentals recently. I wasnt happy with how much companies wanted to demo and install the flooring. I chose to demo myself and found a guy who installs on the side. He did an amazing job.

How much space do you need done?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i think it depends a bit on what kind of work you need...

if it's carpet there's not much that can go wrong based on the installation that can't be remedied pretty easily down the road. the same can't be said for ceramic tile once it's installed.

hardwood or any of the plank floorings including vinyl probably fall in between when it comes to installation but the possibility of warranty attention being needed because of manufacturing flaws or inconsistencies is probably higher than either carpet or ceramic. other than through a reputable business, it will be next to impossible to good warranty attention.

we did a small renovation recently where alberta hardwood was the flooring sub-contractor and the service/warranty attention from them and the manufacturer's rep has been outstanding so far (sueann komdeur was the sales rep on the file pre and post).
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

My lino kitchen floor has to be replaced and other lino in the bathrooms. Kitchen maybe 14 x 26 ft. The coating had worn off after 20 plus years and it attracts dirt easily. Also need my carpet in the other room stretched and it has lumps. My lino probably needs to be replaced on top of it. Have to have someone look at everything though.
    Last edited by Eminent; 08-08-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eminent View Post
    My lino kitchen floor has to be replaced and other lino in the bathrooms. Kitchen maybe 14 x 26 ft. The coating had worn off after 20 plus years and it attracts dirt easily. Also need my carpet in the other room stretched and it has lumps. My lino probably needs to be replaced on top of it. Have to have someone look at everything though.
    Just as a comment but in the kitchen some worn lino can often be the perfect substrate to apply vinyl tiles, which can be done by pretty much anyone with even a modicum of do it yourself ability.

This is a cheap solution that can get another 10years out of that surface at least, and is no harder to rip it all out when you have to. If the Lino is not torn, or with significant abrasion this works fine as a sub layer to the Vinyl tiles. In most cases its beneficial that the Linoleum has worn down as the Vinyl tiles adhere perfectly. This is the ones we used in our kitchen. Looks a lot better than the old surfaces and the range in hues matches existing colors in the Kitchen.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/tra...se-/1000850217

The one word of caution though is make sure all your kitchen chairs, table legs have soft pads on them.

As for carpet throw it out, more trouble than its worth. I would go with Laminates after ripping the carpet out. Again a project anybody with mobility can do on their own. Worth the price probably to get a laminate rated for longer term. Theres some cheap laminates out there but who wants to do the job over again?
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-08-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"