Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankee-Doodle-Dandy: Andrew Scheer is Also An American!

Default Yankee-Doodle-Dandy: Andrew Scheer is Also An American!

This deserves its own thread.

Despite becoming the CON Leader in May of 2017 it must have slipped his mind not to put this on his Resume and only get around to taking steps to renounce his American citizenship in August 2019....

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...tizenship.html

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I personally have no problem with dual citizenship when it is obvious that an aspiring political leader's primary connection and loyalty is to Canada.

But Harper and the Cons attacked Thomas Muclair and Stephane Dion for their supposed split loyalties because they were dual citizens, and attacked Michael Ignatieff for having lived outside Canada most of his adult life. And Scheer himself questioned Michaelle Jean's fitness to be Governor General because she was a dual citizen before being sworn in. See here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sch...ship-1.5307986

It is Scheer's hypocrisy not his dual citizenship that is the issue.

Conservatives being hypocrites? I’m shocked!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E SME

I wonder if Andrew Scheer will be in a Skip-the-Dishes commercial.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ You win the internet today!

I didn't think it was possible to find a bigger hypocrite than Trudeau. Congrats cons, this guy takes the cake.

DEPLORABLE that Scheer spent years castigating other politicians with dual citizenship and then gets caught red handed as a closet American.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Do political parties work hard at propping up the most heinous leaders?

It seems the only people in politics that advance through to become leaders of their parties are certified aholes. The process seems to even select for the most despicable dishonest individuals.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I didn't think it was possible to find a bigger hypocrite than Trudeau. Congrats cons, this guy takes the cake.

DEPLORABLE that Scheer spent years castigating other politicians with dual citizenship and then gets caught red handed as a closet American.

It seems the only people in politics that advance through to become leaders of their parties are certified aholes. The process seems to even select for the most despicable dishonest individuals.
    Are your facts correct? Did Scheer spend “years castigating other politicians with dual citizenship“?

You can blame the selection process at leadership campaigns. What happens is the supporters for the top two candidates despise their rival, then the third placed candidate wins by coming up the middle. Ask Allison Redford.

And when the best candidates decide that the net election is too soon for the governing party to screw up so they don't run.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Are your facts correct? Did Scheer spend “years castigating other politicians with dual citizenship“?
    Yes, unless the OP cited article is a house of lies.. If those instances occurred Scheer was certainly hypocritical about it as well as highly disingenuous and dishonest. I can't vote for the man.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

SATURDAY, AUGUST 13, 2005

Quick Questions

I have a few quick questions for anyone who thinks that Michaelle Jean is a good choice to be our next GG.

1) What are her qualifications? What experience does she have that would assist her to carry out her duties as our head of state, including the potential to be a referee in a minority government situation?

2) Does it bother you that she is a dual citizen (France and Canada)? Would it bother you if instead of French citizenship, she held U.S. citizenship?

3) It is being reported that her husband is quite chummy with some FLQers belonging to the same group that killed Pierre Laporte. If her husband was quite friendly with Al-Queda terrorists, would that be alright?
    https://web.archive.org/web/20051208....blogspot.com/

Hypocrite of the highest order.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^Nice that he brings up her qualifications.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    I personally have no problem with dual citizenship when it is obvious that an aspiring political leader's primary connection and loyalty is to Canada.

But Harper and the Cons attacked Thomas Muclair and Stephane Dion for their supposed split loyalties because they were dual citizens, and attacked Michael Ignatieff for having lived outside Canada most of his adult life. And Scheer himself questioned Michaelle Jean's fitness to be Governor General because she was a dual citizen before being sworn in. See here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sch...ship-1.5307986

That was three elections ago and all completely irrelevant today.

If hypocritical 2005 comments from the then-elected-MP-now-leader of the Conservative Party are off limits, surely older hypocritical yearbook photos are past the same statute of limitations...

Zing!
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    If hypocritical 2005 comments from the then-elected-MP-now-leader of the Conservative Party are off limits, surely older hypocritical yearbook photos are past the same statute of limitations...

Justin's remarks that "we" need to do better (not "him") after his old photos surfaced of him wearing a racist getup is the issue.

He just said it last month. He took zero responsibility for it, and literally blamed Canada and his "privilege" for it. Never took responsibility for his dumb decisions, and blamed everybody else. Just last month.

Blames everyone but himself. Takes no ownership of it at all. THAT is the issue with his old blackface photos.

Zing!

Got it, by apologizing you make it relevant again. Which is why Scheer's bigoted display on the floor of the HoC is no big deal, because he's never apologized for it. And likewise his comments about other people in government holding dual citizenship, even as he held it himself while operating as Speaker.

Do whatever you want, even if you've accused others of doing the same thing, just don't apologize or try to do better. This explains so much about you.

MrOilers never apologizes because he is never wrong in his alt-right bubble. He also believes that he can walk on water...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

We need to do better. Not me.

It's disappointing that Sheer just never disclosed this months ago, especially after the Black/Brown face debacle. All this crop can do is sling mud and promise to spend more money they do not have.

^^ Yeah, you don't need to do anything at all to help make Canada a more tolerant & egalitarian place, at all. You're just perfect how you are.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Another example of your pervasive psychopathic narcissism, ethical degeneratism and amorality.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Another example of your pervasive psychopathic narcissism, ethical degeneratism and amorality.
    Or, of dry wit.

It's not witty to be willfully ignorant of your own bigotry, even in jest.

C2E Continued Contributor

I personally don’t think the Prime Minister should hold citizenship of another country, it creates a tie to another country that creates the possibility of a conflict of interest, real or perceived. However, this would have been a complete non-issue for me if he had revoked it when he became party leader, and been open about it. He could have even used his own words to get ahead of any hypocrisy of past comments by saying that someone who represents the country shouldn’t have those ties to another country, and that is why he is revoking it.

Instead he decided to hold onto it until the last minute. Why? You can speculate that maybe he was hedging his bets with an exit plan in case the leadership thing didn’t work out, or that he may have closer relations withthe US than he lets on. Maybe he realized it was hypocritical and people was trying to hide it. Really the answer to why doesn’t really matter, what matters is how he’s opened himself up to that speculation, and shown himself to be a hypocrite.

Clearly his judgement hasn’t improved over the years, and what’s more concerning is his responses when he gets called on his poor judgement.Why can’t he own up to his mistakes? He’d rather try and bury things or ignore them than address them.
    “No one has ever asked”. Really dude? That’s an excuse that a middle schooler would use. Do we need to do an interrogation so that we find any potential information that should be disclosed, since you’re apparently incapable of doing it yourself?
    Last edited by seamusmcduffs; 04-10-2019 at 02:28 PM.

"Nobody ever asked about this thing I've intentionally hidden from view as to not appear like the raging hypocrite I am"

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    I personally don’t think the Prime Minister should hold citizenship of another country, it creates a tie to another country that creates the possibility of a conflict of interest, real or perceived. However, this would have been a complete non-issue for me if he had revoked it when he became party leader, and been open about it. He could have even used his own words to get ahead of any hypocrisy of past comments by saying that someone who represents the country shouldn’t have those ties to another country, and that is why he is revoking it.

Instead he decided to hold onto it until the last minute. Why? You can speculate that maybe he was hedging his bets with an exit plan in case the leadership thing didn’t work out, or that he may have closer relations withthe US than he lets on. Maybe he realized it was hypocritical and people was trying to hide it. Really the answer to why doesn’t really matter, what matters is how he’s opened himself up to that speculation, and shown himself to be a hypocrite.

Clearly his judgement hasn’t improved over the years, and what’s more concerning is his responses when he gets called on his poor judgement.Why can’t he own up to his mistakes? He’d rather try and bury things or ignore them than address them.
    “No one has ever asked”. Really dude? That’s an excuse that a middle schooler would use. Do we need to do an interrogation so that we find any potential information that should be disclosed, since you’re apparently incapable of doing it yourself?
    Sort of like religion where the religious leaders or figureheads, and so the decision making, resides in different countries. Does belonging to such religions potentially create a split or divided loyalty to Canada and Canadians’ values?

If someone is going to represent people with religions different than one’s own does that mean their religious beliefs will prevent them from proper and good representation?
    Last edited by KC; 04-10-2019 at 03:03 PM.

personally don’t think the Prime Minister should hold citizenship of another country, it creates a tie to another country that creates the possibility of a conflict of interest, real or perceived. However, this would have been a complete non-issue for me if he had revoked it when he became party leader, and been open about it. He could have even used his own words to get ahead of any hypocrisy of past comments by saying that someone who represents the country shouldn’t have those ties to another country, and that is why he is revoking it.

Didn't professor Iggy have a dual passport?
    Animals are my passion.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    personally don’t think the Prime Minister should hold citizenship of another country, it creates a tie to another country that creates the possibility of a conflict of interest, real or perceived. However, this would have been a complete non-issue for me if he had revoked it when he became party leader, and been open about it. He could have even used his own words to get ahead of any hypocrisy of past comments by saying that someone who represents the country shouldn’t have those ties to another country, and that is why he is revoking it.

i don't think so although he lived and taught in the us (harvard???) most if not all of his career.

you're thinking of stephan dion and thomas mulcair.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^And the conservatives made a big deal of that fact at the time. Those were before I was able to vote however, and Mulcair wasn't someone who was on my radar as a voter.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

i don't think so although he lived and taught in the us (harvard???) most if not all of his career.

you're thinking of stephan dion and thomas mulcair.
    I didn't know about either of them.
    Animals are my passion.

^And the conservatives made a big deal of that fact at the time. Those were before I was able to vote however, and Mulcair wasn't someone who was on my radar as a voter.
    As you say “the conservatives” were the people speaking for the party “at the time”.

Do all followers have to have believed and unconditionally supported all past positions and then rolled them all forward into the present? Should the Albertans of the 2020s be of the same attitudes as those of the 1920s?

If they never make it clear that that position has changed then yes. Are we supposed to just assume it has changed for some reason? Why? Sheer held that position that those in government should not hold dual citizenship in the past and was vocal about it while he was a "conservative" speaking for the party "at the time", and was silent on the issue since then but chose to hide his American citizenship and never made an statements changing his position or clarifying it. It's pretty reasonable to assume he's a hypocrite instead of him having a change in position that he just forgot to tell us about.

I'm not willing to assume the best of politicians unlike you, because they've given me no reason to.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

l
    If they never make it clear that that position has changed then yes. Are we supposed to just assume it has changed for some reason? Why? Sheer held that position that those in government should not hold dual citizenship in the past and was vocal about it while he was a "conservative" speaking for the party "at the time", and was silent on the issue since then but chose to hide his American citizenship and never made an statements changing his position or clarifying it. It's pretty reasonable to assume he's a hypocrite instead of him having a change in position that he just forgot to tell us about.

I'm not willing to assume the best of politicians unlike you, because they've given me no reason to.
    my own views on dual citizenship have been pretty well circulated already. interestingly enough though, while some conservatives are being accused of hypocrisy for ostensibly changing their position today, there doesn't seem to be the same outrage towards the hypocrisy of those liberals and new democrats who previously found it quite acceptable and nothing to be concerned about to now finding it outrageous and unacceptable.

these aren't even principled discussions or debates anymore, it's just about who can gore the other's ox to death the fastest.
    Last edited by kcantor; 05-10-2019 at 08:08 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Politics is definitely a blood sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Yup. Some people aren't cut out for it. Lying doesnt come easy for them, and for some, it's as natural as breathing.
    Animals are my passion.

Didn't John Turner have dual citizenship? Personally I don't care if a PM has dual citizenship with one of our allies, I do care about attacking someone when you are doing the same thing.

Yup. Some people aren't cut out for it. Lying doesnt come easy for them, and for some, it's as natural as breathing.
    You mean like saying you completed the accreditation and worked as an insurance broker?

Or totally neglecting to mention the fact that you're also an American?

Or claiming the RCMP Commissioner said Trudeau was under investigation when the RCMP said that they said no such thing?

Every breath Scheer takes
    Every lie he makes

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Didn't John Turner have dual citizenship? Personally I don't care if a PM has dual citizenship with one of our allies, I do care about attacking someone when you are doing the same thing.
    I had almost forgotten about his brief tenure as PM. I understand he was born in the UK, but the source I read a while back did not indicate whether he was a dual citizen or not. Perhaps being a British citizen is less contentious as we are still a part of the Commonwealth and until a certain time (I think several years after Turner was born) I believe all Canadians were still technically British citizens anyways.

In any event, whether he was a dual citizen or not, the voters did not approve his appointment as PM, so perhaps not the best example for Scheer and the Conservatives to find and follow.

It certainly is these days. On that note, here is an interesting article I recently saw on Mr. Scheer.

Why don't Canadians like Andrew Scheer?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/elections/daphne-bramham-why-dont-canadians-like-andrew-scheer/ar-AAILLmA?li=AAggFp5

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    It certainly is these days. On that note, here is an interesting article I recently saw on Mr. Scheer.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/elect...LmA?li=AAggFp5
    Hmm, so why is he ahead in the polls?
    Animals are my passion.

“Everyone hates Trudeau, that’s why he’s polling where he is, but everyone loves Scheer which is why he’s polling where he is, which just happens to be neck & neck with Trudeau.”

Because, as we saw in the Alberta election, Conservatives don't mind voting for liars and bigots. As a matter of fact, they see it as a feature and not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Because, as we saw in the Alberta election, Conservatives don't mind voting for liars and bigots. As a matter of fact, they see it as a feature and not a problem.
    It's hilarious that Hardly Lucid thinks Andrew Scheer's personal appeal is driving the CPCs polling numbers, given how she'd vote CPC (or worse) regardless of who was leading them.

Cheating in a leadership vote is just good leadership, don't ya know.

“Everyone hates Trudeau, that’s why he’s polling where he is, but everyone loves Scheer which is why he’s polling where he is, which just happens to be neck & neck with Trudeau.”
    Good point. The spin and bias is self evident.

In reality, as far as the people I know, they don't like ANY of the leader candidates and they have no idea of who their local candidates are.

...and then they go to Church on Sunday and pray.

I know quite a few people that have voted Liberal and Conservative , they think JT two planes is a hypocrisy personified and a liar, they are going back to conservative, because JT who is more of a Brand, than a leader, has had many masks slip, in just 4 years.
    Animals are my passion.

Every time I think you can't be any less self aware you manage to sink to an even lower level then wrap yourself up warm & tight in logical fallacies.

Bravo. Always exceeding the mark in lowered expectations!

Shame on the American insurance broker when the anthem gets played!
    https://globalnews.ca/video/6039725/...-the-liberals/

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    It was very interesting phrasing. Leading/suggestive questioning but also probing in a sense. Lumped in as if it were an attack.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post

Canadian born to immigrant parent - if it matters.

Canadian born to immigrant parent - if it matters.
    I guess they only pretend to like immigrants, any excuse so JT doesn't look he's not liked by a lot of canadians
    Animals are my passion.

Canadian & American born to immigrant parent - if it matters.
    Fixed that for you.

"Nobody asked" indeed.

"Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said on Wednesday that he stayed seated while members of Parliament sang O Canada"

"Scheer remained seated and appears, in the footage, to be looking at his phone."

https://globalnews.ca/news/6039611/l...icized-anthem/

Are Americans required to stand for the Canadian anthem?

"Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said on Wednesday that he stayed seated while members of Parliament sang O Canada"

"Scheer remained seated and appears, in the footage, to be looking at his phone."

https://globalnews.ca/news/6039611/l...icized-anthem/
    Well they weren't playing the Star Spangled Banner - it all makes sense now. Too bad he apparently forgot to renew his US passport. I think he broke a US law by going there without it. He might have trouble next time he tries to go back to the mother country.

Scheer won’t explain travel to America as citizen without valid U.S. passport

https://globalnews.ca/news/6037999/s...l-us-passport/

Good point. The spin and bias is self evident.

In reality, as far as the people I know, they don't like ANY of the leader candidates and they have no idea of who their local candidates are.
    I think you are probably correct in your observation, none of the leadership candidates have great appeal this time. On that note, here is a thought everyone - get to know a bit more about your local candidates! After all, it is their name on the ballot.

^^I assume Scheer would have travelled to the US on his Canadian passport like many dual citizens do.

^^I assume Scheer would have travelled to the US on his Canadian passport like many dual citizens do.
    From the linked story

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is refusing to explain how he travelled to the United States as a citizen without a valid U.S. passport.

Multiple requests to the party for an explanation have been ignored over the last 11 days.

The United States Immigration and Nationality Act says it is against the law for U.S. citizens — including dual nationals — to enter or leave the United States unless they are using a valid American passport.

Interesting.
    CTV News: Scheer won't say if Conservatives hired consultant to 'destroy' People's party.
    https://election.ctvnews.ca/scheer-w...arty-1.4646062

From the linked story

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is refusing to explain how he travelled to the United States as a citizen without a valid U.S. passport.

Multiple requests to the party for an explanation have been ignored over the last 11 days.

The United States Immigration and Nationality Act says it is against the law for U.S. citizens — including dual nationals — to enter or leave the United States unless they are using a valid American passport.
    Now that is interesting! You’d think that the border systems would flag any and all such dual citizens based on other filings. If no one ever asked, maybe he was allowed to enter as they assumed he was just a Canadian citizen.

Also which other countries have this rule?

So for all those Canadian born but to parents who immigrated, they still need to pick passports to US and maybe other counties?

Per the National Post:
    Scheer refuses to explain how he travelled to the U.S. as a citizen without a valid U.S. passport
    BY THE CANADIAN PRESS, OCT 16, 2019

“340,865 people like Scheer, who are Canadians by birth but also hold a citizenship to another country.

The Census said 135,170 Canadians are dual citizens with the United States, second only to the United Kingdom with 152,060 dual Canadian-British citizens.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...d-u-s-passport

Interesting trivia:

U.S. Citizenship For Canadians

http://www.grasmick.com/citizen.htm
    Last edited by KC; 19-10-2019 at 04:52 PM.

If he hasn't been filing taxes in the US, even for income earned in Canada, he could also be facing penalties up to and including jail time.

US citizens, as well as permanent residents, are required to file expatriate tax returns every year regardless of where they reside. Along with the typical tax return for income, many people are also required to submit a return disclosing assets which are held in bank accounts in foreign countries by using FinCEN Form 114 (FBAR).

The United States is among only a few governments who tax international income earned by their citizens, as well as permanent residents, residing overseas. There are, however, some provisions that help protect from possible double taxation. These include:

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/canad...in-canada.html

He's a Canadian isn't he? Mountain/ molehill
    Animals are my passion.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They are knocking him down because they know that he is about to become the new Prime Minister of Canada. Think how hard they’ll be crying on Tuesday.

He's a Canadian isn't he? Mountain/ molehill
    He's also an American and subject to American laws, even though he has dual citizenship.

They are knocking him down because they know that he is about to become the new Prime Minister of Canada. Think how hard they’ll be crying on Tuesday.
    Maybe. Maybe not.

The Liberals have regained their seat advantage over the Conservatives, but remain in a close national race in public support and well below the threshold required for a majority government. The New Democrats and Bloc Québécois, after making significant gains in the polls, appear to be hitting a ceiling — but could hold the balance of power in a minority parliament.

Probability of winning
    14%Probability of the Liberals winning a majority

50%Probability of the Liberals winning the most seats but not a majority

34%Probability of the Conservatives winning the most seats but not a majority

1%Probability of the Conservatives winning a majority

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elec...racker/canada/
    Either way, he's either lying or ignorant of what he's talking about.

‘Complete nonsense’: Experts dispute Scheer’s claims about forming government

Experts on Canada’s parliamentary system say Andrew Scheer should know better than to erroneously contend that whoever wins the most seats on Monday gets to form the government.

The Conservative leader was, after all, Speaker of the House of Commons for almost five years and, as such, should be well aware that the only rule that matters is who can command the confidence of the majority of MPs — whether they be all from one party, or from a multitude of partisan affiliations.
    “It lowers him in my esteem and maybe the esteem of other people because I’m sure he knows he’s wrong,” said political science professor Peter Russell, who helped advise Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean in 2008, when she had to navigate an attempt by three opposition parties to form a coalition to replace Stephen Harper‘s minority Conservative government.

“He’s doing damage because there’s so many Canadians who will believe what he says to be true.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/6054421/e...ng-government/

‘Complete nonsense’: Experts dispute Scheer’s claims about forming government
    https://globalnews.ca/news/6054421/e...ng-government/

Quebec is behind him... must be good for Alberta without a doubt because both provinces agree on everything in politics.

Our endorsement: Best choice for Canada is Andrew Scheer
    Andrew Scheer’s Conservatives are the only choice for those who understand that Canada today requires responsible, pragmatic leadership.
    https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/...-andrew-scheer

or maybe not...

If Scheer wins, Albertans can kiss their economic future goodbye
    https://www.nationalobserver.com/201...future-goodbye
    To understand why and how this will happen, we need only turn back the clock to the days of Harper and the various Alberta premiers whose collective intransigence led to Alberta and Canada being a global punching-bag as climate laggards. Forgotten, it seems, is that the Conservatives in power federally and provincially were still incapable of getting a pipeline built, mainly because of their climate science avoidance and disrespect of due process. How then do they imagine that even greater ignorance, and more egregious due process will succeed?
    'Austerity' beats mortgaging your children's future
    https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...ildrens-future
    Why has austerity become such a bad word in this federal election?

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau makes it sound like a dirty word in attacking Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer’s election plank. If elected, Scheer plans on running a $23 billion deficit next year but will balance the budget with a $667 million surplus in five years.

Austerity has become such a political potato that Scheer denies he’d be running an austerity government.

Scheer recently said: “What we’re saying is we’re going to take $1.5 billion out of the corporate welfare envelope. Right now, there are billions of dollars sent to highly profitable companies or companies that take the taxpayers’ dollars that they receive and actually invest it overseas. We’re going to reduce the foreign aid budget by 25%. We also are going to look at how the government operates in and of itself, not programs and services, but how it spends money within departments.”
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 19-10-2019 at 10:08 PM.

I think it will be a minority, Drum, and JT isnt about to let any power slip through his groper hands..
    It should be fun watching Singh, trying to work with JT, who just loves all the power. Just wait, another election is on the horizon...
    They can knock Scheer down, at least he didn't wear blackface and stick cucumbers down his pants. JT has a lot of his mother in him.
    Animals are my passion.

If he hasn't been filing taxes in the US, even for income earned in Canada, he could also be facing penalties up to and including jail time.

US citizens, as well as permanent residents, are required to file expatriate tax returns every year regardless of where they reside. Along with the typical tax return for income, many people are also required to submit a return disclosing assets which are held in bank accounts in foreign countries by using FinCEN Form 114 (FBAR).

The United States is among only a few governments who tax international income earned by their citizens, as well as permanent residents, residing overseas. There are, however, some provisions that help protect from possible double taxation. These include:

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/canad...in-canada.html
    Perhaps Scheer can recycle the old Trump excuse of still being audited to explain the undue delay of his US citizenship renunciation.

Its now coming out that the nasty Conservative disinformation campaigns apparently were not just aimed at the Liberals and NDP, but other Conservatives too ... and even worse, in this case they hired a former Liberal to spread the dirt.

Scheer won't say if Conservatives hired consultant to 'destroy' People's Party

https://election.ctvnews.ca/scheer-won-t-say-if-conservatives-hired-consultant-to-destroy-people-s-party-1.4646062

I think it will be a minority, Drum, and JT isnt about to let any power slip through his groper hands..
    It should be fun watching Singh, trying to work with JT, who just loves all the power. Just wait, another election is on the horizon...
    They can knock Scheer down, at least he didn't wear blackface and stick cucumbers down his pants. JT has a lot of his mother in him.
    No, he just lied about his work experience (which is against the law in Saskatchewan), "forgot" to mention that he's also an American and made numerous false statements (we call them lies).

It's actually quite amusing to look at Scheer talking abut how we need tighter immigration controls and yet if he held just his American citizenship, he wouldn't qualify as an immigrant due to his lack of marketable skills.

No, he just lied about his work experience (which is against the law in Saskatchewan), "forgot" to mention that he's also an American and made numerous false statements (we call them lies).

It's actually quite amusing to look at Scheer talking abut how we need tighter immigration controls and yet if he held just his American citizenship, he wouldn't qualify as an immigrant due to his lack of marketable skills.
    Time for some whataboutism: Trudeau’s personal ethics violations, failure to perform electoral reform, deficit, etc (lying when making promises?), the Party’s inner circle involvement with the SNC-Lavalin corruption scandal...

As I’ve said: Singh seems authentic. Neither Trudeau nor Scheer seem so.

kkozoriz, based on your years of dramatically castigating people for your perceived views of their moral shortcomings, I can’t imagine how you could abandon your own morals to bring yourself to vote for anyone of either Scheer’s party or Trudeau’s party. (Same goes for noodle and EPRT.)
    Last edited by KC; 20-10-2019 at 07:16 AM.

I have said it many times, please tell me which candidate is worthy of my vote. KC, you have not offered a choice.

Why is the NDP candidate in your riding not a choice, EPRT? Just curious as to why you seem resistant to that option.

BTW, if you think this election sucks for you, at least many of seats in your area are up for grabs, and your vote will probably matter much more than mine. The Tory is a shoe-in here, and my vote will be wasted, like millions of other votes across the country.

You are jumping to conclusions. Show me where I disregarded the NDP candidates.

I have said it many times, please tell me which candidate is worthy of my vote. KC, you have not offered a choice.
    Ok, tell me who your candidates are and I might do that for you.

However based on your long record of moral posturing (“virtue signalling”) over US and and Canadian political leaders, and given the issues with Trudeau, NOW BOTH the Conservatives and the Liberals should be right off the table for you. Who’s left for you? (who’s left for the rest of us?)
    Last edited by KC; 20-10-2019 at 09:01 AM.

OK. KC offered Singh as a choice, not your local NDP candidate.

Now, that I've offered you that choice, can you explain why you wouldn't vote for him/her?

Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post

Now, that I've offered you that choice, can you explain why you wouldn't vote for him/her?
    There’s the Green Party, the Bloc too.

He did not offer it as a choice. He instead inferred that I was not considering the NDP as a choice.

Are you?

There’s the Green Party, the Bloc too.
    Yep.

Are you?
    Yes, eventhough the NDP are far from my fiscally conservative roots.

Well, I said before that I think many Canadians will be holding their noses at the ballot box.

Best wishes to you (and all Canadians) whatever choice you make.

Well, I said before that I think many Canadians will be holding their noses at the ballot box.

Best wishes to you (and all Canadians) whatever choice you make.
    THAT is what I think the vast majority do in every election. On c2e some posters continually posture and suggest that you only have to hold your nose when voting for the party they themselves hate while their favoured party can do no wrong.

Time for some whataboutism: Trudeau’s personal ethics violations, failure to perform electoral reform, deficit, etc (lying when making promises?), the Party’s inner circle involvement with the SNC-Lavalin corruption scandal...

kkozoriz, based on your years of dramatically castigating people for your perceived views of their moral shortcomings, I can’t imagine how you could abandon your own morals to bring yourself to vote for anyone of either Scheer’s party or Trudeau’s party. (Same goes for noodle and EPRT.)
    I have voted for the NDP and the PCs in the past. Both federally and provincially. However, both the federal PC and their provincial counterparts have moved further and further to the right in recent years, to the point that they have both dropped the Progressive part of their names. Stephen Harper said it as follows:

The full text of a speech by Stephen Harper, then vice-president of the National Citizens Coalition, to a June 1997 Montreal meeting of the Council for National Policy, a right-wing U.S. think tank, and taken from the council's website:

The NDP is also explicitly a branch of the Canadian Labour Congress, which is by far our largest labour group, and explicitly radical.

There are some moderate and conservative labour organizations. They don't belong to that particular organization.

The second party, the Liberal party, is by far the largest party. It won the election. It's also the only party that's competitive in all parts of the country. The Liberal party is our dominant party today, and has been for 100 years. It's governed almost all of the last hundred years, probably about 75 per cent of the time.

It's not what you would call conservative Democrat; I think that's a disappearing kind of breed. But it's certainly moderate Democrat, a type of Clinton-pragmatic Democrat. It's moved in the last few years very much to the right on fiscal and economic concerns, but still believes in government intrusion in the economy where possible, and does, in its majority, believe in fairly liberal social values.

In the last Parliament, it enacted comprehensive gun control, well beyond, I think, anything you have. Now we'll have a national firearms registration system, including all shotguns and rifles. Many other kinds of weapons have been banned. It believes in gay rights, although it's fairly cautious. It's put sexual orientation in the Human Rights Act and will let the courts do the rest.

There is an important caveat to its liberal social values. For historic reasons that I won't get into, the Liberal party gets the votes of most Catholics in the country, including many practising Catholics. It does have a significant Catholic, social-conservative element which occasionally disagrees with these kinds of policy directions. Although I caution you that even this Catholic social conservative element in the Liberal party is often quite liberal on economic issues.

Then there is the Progressive Conservative party, the PC party, which won only 20 seats. Now, the term Progressive Conservative will immediately raise suspicions in all of your minds. It should. It's obviously kind of an oxymoron. But actually, its origin is not progressive in the modern sense. The origin of the term "progressive'' in the name stems from the Progressive Movement in the 1920s, which was similar to that in your own country.

But the Progressive Conservative is very definitely liberal Republican. These are people who are moderately conservative on economic matters, and in the past have been moderately liberal, even sometimes quite liberal on social policy matters.

In fact, before the Reform Party really became a force in the late '80s, early '90s, the leadership of the Conservative party was running the largest deficits in Canadian history. They were in favour of gay rights officially, officially for abortion on demand. Officially -- what else can I say about them? Officially for the entrenchment of our universal, collectivized, health-care system and multicultural policies in the constitution of the country.
    -
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle1131985/

I have voted for the NDP and the PCs in the past. Both federally and provincially. However, both the federal PC and their provincial counterparts have moved further and further to the right in recent years, to the point that they have both dropped the Progressive part of their names. Stephen Harper said it as follows:

The full text of a speech by Stephen Harper, then vice-president of the National Citizens Coalition, to a June 1997 Montreal meeting of the Council for National Policy, a right-wing U.S. think tank, and taken from the council's website:

The NDP is also explicitly a branch of the Canadian Labour Congress, which is by far our largest labour group, and explicitly radical.

There are some moderate and conservative labour organizations. They don't belong to that particular organization.

The second party, the Liberal party, is by far the largest party. It won the election. It's also the only party that's competitive in all parts of the country. The Liberal party is our dominant party today, and has been for 100 years. It's governed almost all of the last hundred years, probably about 75 per cent of the time.

It's not what you would call conservative Democrat; I think that's a disappearing kind of breed. But it's certainly moderate Democrat, a type of Clinton-pragmatic Democrat. It's moved in the last few years very much to the right on fiscal and economic concerns, but still believes in government intrusion in the economy where possible, and does, in its majority, believe in fairly liberal social values.

In the last Parliament, it enacted comprehensive gun control, well beyond, I think, anything you have. Now we'll have a national firearms registration system, including all shotguns and rifles. Many other kinds of weapons have been banned. It believes in gay rights, although it's fairly cautious. It's put sexual orientation in the Human Rights Act and will let the courts do the rest.

There is an important caveat to its liberal social values. For historic reasons that I won't get into, the Liberal party gets the votes of most Catholics in the country, including many practising Catholics. It does have a significant Catholic, social-conservative element which occasionally disagrees with these kinds of policy directions. Although I caution you that even this Catholic social conservative element in the Liberal party is often quite liberal on economic issues.

Then there is the Progressive Conservative party, the PC party, which won only 20 seats. Now, the term Progressive Conservative will immediately raise suspicions in all of your minds. It should. It's obviously kind of an oxymoron. But actually, its origin is not progressive in the modern sense. The origin of the term "progressive'' in the name stems from the Progressive Movement in the 1920s, which was similar to that in your own country.

But the Progressive Conservative is very definitely liberal Republican. These are people who are moderately conservative on economic matters, and in the past have been moderately liberal, even sometimes quite liberal on social policy matters.

In fact, before the Reform Party really became a force in the late '80s, early '90s, the leadership of the Conservative party was running the largest deficits in Canadian history. They were in favour of gay rights officially, officially for abortion on demand. Officially -- what else can I say about them? Officially for the entrenchment of our universal, collectivized, health-care system and multicultural policies in the constitution of the country.
    -
    Note his “conventional” US left/right language vs is “non-conventional” understanding. I feel that far too many Canadians have adopted the narrow US understanding of the world.

-
    Note his “conventional” US left/right language vs is “non-conventional” understanding. I feel that far too many Canadians have adopted the narrow US understanding of the world.

And this?

Can people trim their posts????

You don't have to have multiple layers of quotes.

^^ looks like some prescient views....as a reminder in 2016 NDP convention in Edmonton, they adopted the Leap Manifesto: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ndp...esto-1.3529570

....Rachel Notley has not raised any funding for the federal NDP since then.

These ain’t short twits on Twitter.
    We aim for clarity over brevity

kkozoriz posted in post #88

That is one example of a 6 layer deep requote

to say

And this?

Please trim your posts

Correct..
    Animals are my passion.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

asking for multiple layers of quotes to be trimmed or avoided isn't asking for brevity over clarity. it's the reverse.

do you really think the initial post in that multi-level quote is going to be read and re-read every single time it's requoted? same with the second and the third and the fourth and the fifth and the sixth post etc. if they were read the first time, quoting any more than the last previous post is not only redundant, it makes it more awkward to scroll back in the thread if more context is desired.

besides, if there was no multi-quoting, most of the time pretty much the entire sequence would be on-screen with no need for multi-quoting.

Probably not

The electoral college comparison was also interesting from the point of view of choosing to vote constituency representative or party in Canada. “...the important thing to know is that this is how it will be until the Prime Minister calls the next election. The same majority vote on every issue.” - Stephen Harper

Scheer brings his Trump style to Canadian politics.

Crowd at Conservative rally in Ontario chanted ‘lock him up’ when Scheer mentioned Trudeau
    https://globalnews.ca/news/6056190/c...-him-up-chant/

I can't recall any behaviour of this sort in Canada prior to Trump spreading his cancerous shyte around.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    I can't recall any behaviour of this sort in Canada prior to Trump spreading his cancerous shyte around.
    Just adds more confirmation to my sense that a lot of these party supporters/followers aren’t exactly average people, but instead have an extremist and fanatical side to them. Basically a lot of crazy people are coming out of the woodwork and showing up at these rallies.
    Last edited by KC; 21-10-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Watched on TV. Was that H.L., Drumbones and MrOilers, leading the chants???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast