Thread: Avoid walterdale bridge!!!!!!

Default Avoid walterdale bridge!!!!!!

Its most likely too late for anyone seeing this now but its a complete **** show with these pipeline / envro / what are we gonna protest today people are blocking the bridge the swat team needs to be down there and get them off the bridge

Its ridiculous. This protest was known, planned, and why its being allowed on a one way egress, that would result in anybody on Q.E, not being able to go anywhere once they hit that quagmire is anybodies business. This should NOT be permitted as its blocking any way out of the whole area once people are in that area.

So tons of people will miss work this morning because a few protestors that think work or industry of any kind is a bad thing have spent their time mobilizing this disruption.

I heard about this on the Early morning news cast on Global.

I resist the description of this as "Peaceful protest" Its being anything but that, at the moment with people trying to go to work being prevented from earning their livelihood on a Monday morning. From reports tempers are getting very hot, very quickly.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/peaceful...idge-1.4627078

To me a peaceful protest that is not harming others would involve carrying placards on either side of the street. Not blocking the main one way route into the DT. This is pretty demobilizing, which is quite clearly the intent, which shouldn't be permitted.

What would they do in Vancouver if a few people with nothing else to do completely shutdown Lions Gate bridge during Monday Rush hour? In an urban environment bridges are a necessity. Taking them over is a para militant action, it isn't peaceful.

Further, the function of Police is to enforce law and order, for the safety of residents. Instead of blocking drivers, and enabling this militant protest action perhaps they could just shut it down? What does this kind of action, or should I say inaction, do to goodwill police relations with people that pay their salary?

I wasn't aware that one function of EPS is to not only condone, but prop up Civil disobedience, which is the purposeful stated intent of "Extinction Rebellion Canada"
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-10-2019 at 07:25 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

This is as dumb as those convoys yesterday. The right to protest and gather peacefully does not include blocking roadways, railways, and impeding others way of life.

Plus, blocking the main entrance to downtown causing people to idling for a lot longer in the names of climate change? good lord the irony on that.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5991591/c...bridge-monday/

They're shutting down Burrard in Vancouver. Not quite Lions Gate, but still...
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Exactly. They had their 30 min of fame, made a point. Now it's time to get off the bridge. Choking off a main road going into downtown from the Southside is going to cause chaos. Who is liable if an accident happens or emergency vehicles cannot get through ? The protestors or the police for not getting them out of the way ? Think of all the emissions that they are causing ! Yes, people have a right to protest, however, it must be done with due consideration.

On the flip side, all you old gits get your dose of High Dudgeon for the day.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Its ridiculous. This protest was known, planned
    Im sorry known to who this is the first i have heard of this or anyone for that matter are on some envro protester dark web ******** site ???

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5991591/c...bridge-monday/

They're shutting down Burrard in Vancouver. Not quite Lions Gate, but still...
    That's gotta be going well..

One of the reddit comments describes reaction to this "peaceful protest" pretty accurately that "this will hit Monday morning rush hour commuters anticipating a week of work at their Least likely time to self regulate"

Indeed the intent of this is sheer provocation. Its stated Civil disobedience. Being supported and enabled by police forces.

I wouldn't entirely compare this to the Henday convoys as they were not blocking all lanes, they were allowing through traffic, just that traffic was delayed. Not saying I approved of that action either, I don't just that this is a complete blockade and on a one way bridge in which there is no other way out. If theres any medical emergency out there this AM how is that person supposed to get medical assistance?

While EPS reported that they have blocked and diverted all traffic at the hills this is absolutely false. Queen E hill is full of cars idling, burning fuel, with no way out.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-10-2019 at 07:43 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

There was a story out from the Canadian Press that was picked up by the CBC & others on Thursday or Friday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nday-1.5307571
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    Its ridiculous. This protest was known, planned
    Im sorry known to who this is the first i have heard of this or anyone for that matter are on some envro protester dark web ******** site ???
    You missed my point. It was known to all authorities, and published, that this was going to occur effective 7am, Monday Morning. I'm not saying that to say that drivers should have avoided the area or should have all known. No emergency alerts were issued. I'm saying that this was known and so that police should have been there to evacuate disperse the protestors as soon as they arrived.

We don't have to allow this willfully civil disobedient action that has chosen the most disruptive means possible. Keeping the peace probably does not coincide with allowing this willful disturbance of peace to occur.

"Can't these people protest in a way that's more convenient for me?"

Just listen to the news, they said their goal is to get arrested. ok, let's arrest them and we're done.

Let me correct that for you"Can't these people protest in a way that's safer?"

Again, just think of all the emissions

so um looking at that link you posted noodle when the **** did we become any of these citys

Extinction Rebellion aims to disrupt traffic in Halifax, Toronto and Vancouver on Oct. 7

Extinction Rebellion's targets include the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge in Halifax, the Burrard Street Bridge in Vancouver and the Prince Edward Viaduct in Toronto.

I don't have a horse in this race. I don't drive and I'm increasingly in semi-retirement.

Peaceful protest does not take specific action of willful disobedience that directly prevents and prohibits others actions and freedom and inflicts harm on others.

In effect they are detaining thousands of law abiding motorists this morning, If one wants to look at it from that pov.

I'm merely advocating. This specific bridge, a one way bridge, with feeder roads that lead ONLY to this bridge is more than an inconvenience. Its willful entrapment. If somebody suffers a heartattack or stroke on Queen E and can't get help was this an "inconvenience".

I fully respect your message and quote, I don't believe that it applies in this instance.

Looks like the are getting traffic to go up
    Queen Elizabeth Park Rd

I don't have a horse in this race. I don't drive and I'm increasingly in semi-retirement. Peaceful protest does not take specific action of willful disobedience that directly prevents and prohibits others actions and freedom and inflicts harm on others. In effect they are detaining thousands of law abiding motorists this morning, If one wants to look at it from that pov. I'm merely advocating. This specific bridge, a one way bridge, with feeder roads that lead ONLY to this bridge is more than an inconvenience. Its willful entrapment. If somebody suffers a heartattack or stroke on Queen E and can't get help was this an "inconvenience".I fully respect your message and quote, I don't believe that it applies in this instance.
    Exactly, Peaceful, means what ? Tell that to the people trapped in their vehicles. It's about time the police arrested these protestors. If you listen to them, they said they will stay there until they get arrested.. so... let's arrest them and help their accomplish their objective.

^^Further incompetence is that the police lied about their not being any trapped traffic on the feeders to Walterdale bridge.

If EPS had planned to support this endeavor and allow it to occur, they should have stopped all traffic up at the entries and redirected everybody (as they stated they did) well before the 7am closure.

Its absolutely laughable that the EPS allowed traffic onto the feeders, to fill them up with stopped traffic, then shut it down, and then aided the shut down of the bridge by parking police cars all around the bridge.

In effect the EPS actions this morning have trapped the drivers, and they are now enforcing people to back up all the way up the hill on one way feeders.

its like keystone cops out there from reports. Nobody has a clue what they're doing.

What a mess.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-10-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Peaceful protest does not take specific action of willful disobedience that directly prevents and prohibits others actions and freedom and inflicts harm on others.
    Disagree. Peaceful protest indicates a lack of violence, not a lack of obstruction or inconvenience. This is effectively a sit-in, a classic peaceful protest archetype.

I fully respect your message and quote, I don't believe that it applies in this instance.
    Based on your watered down definition of "peaceful protest" I can see how you can harbor those beliefs, but under the more expansive & traditional definition of peaceful protests I still believe it applies 100%

Let's see how long before the 'Bigot' word is thrown about in this thread.

Walt Jr is now back open as the morons are now off the bridge. **** the eps for not arresting this morons i hope each and every one of those protest morons losses their jobs and gets blacklisted from ever getting a job ever again

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    Let's see how long before the 'Bigot' word is thrown about in this thread.
    The **** you on about this has nothing to do with race you dolt

Without getting into semantics of "peaceful protest" the mission of a group like this is to create woke minds (exactly what they state) and to foster awareness and create political action and will.

This specific action is provoking primarily angry response. As many pundits are saying so far the net reaction to these protests is creating the opposite reaction than is intended. its creating a polarized reaction against these protests, not in favor of them. The cookies aren't working..

It is a peaceful protest despite the inconvenience to commuters. Kinda funny how some people are going berserk over this. If there was an accident on the bridge or the common "Truck with high load stuck on High Level Bridge", it would be just another day in River City.

Bridges have been the sites of many peaceful protests and some regrettably became scenes of violence

The Edmund Pettus Bridge was the site of the conflict of Bloody Sunday on March 7, 1965, when armed police attacked and brutally beat Civil Rights Movement demonstrators with horses, billy clubs, and tear gas as they were attempting to march to the state capital, Montgomery.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Pettus_Bridge

Dozens arrested after climate protest blocks five London bridges
    Thousands of protesters occupied bridges across the Thames over extinction crisis in huge act of peaceful civil disobedience
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...mate-rebellion
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Continued Contributor

Cops can't use rubber bullets on these 'tards?

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Cops can't use rubber bullets on these 'tards?
    They didn't use rubber bullets on the tards who blocked the henday for hours and hours in the names of convoys last year. Why would this be any different?
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

**** rubber bullets real ones need to be used

Yeah, great idea, kill unarmed people because it did not affect you at all today unless you are texting while in your car, stuck in the traffic jam. I feel that people who text while driving should be pulled out of their cars by police, shot and dumped in the ditch.

Like that equally repugnant suggestion?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

**** rubber bullets real ones need to be used
    really?

really???

this is real life with real lives. maybe you need to get a grip on yours.

you want to be annoyed and frustrated? feel free - that's what the protesters wanted. along with having you wonder why. not why you're a few minutes late but why some people feel seriously enough about something to make you late.

shooting people because you won't have time for a second latte after you park your car with its interior adjustable mood lighting meant to keep you calm? out of curiosity, how many other people were commuting with you in that car or was it a typical single occupant commuter vehicle that was held up, inconveniencing only you?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Kcantor, I agree that the comments from many posters are reprehensible and stupid.

If the police shot a bunch of people and those same posters found out that their sister or cousins were shot and killed, would they say that their relatives deserved it and the police were justified in clearing the bridge for traffic?

I think not.

This specific action is provoking primarily angry response. As many pundits are saying so far the net reaction to these protests is creating the opposite reaction than is intended. its creating a polarized reaction against these protests, not in favor of them. The cookies aren't working..
    "I was thinking about doing the right thing for the planet, but then those kids made me late for work!"

At end of protest environmental "Extinction" protestors seen texting on tech devices wearing designer labels drink water out of plastic disposable bottles and not those carton paper thingy type cardboard water bottles Trudeau advocates using...

nothing like consistency to cause and one's own actions meaning anything.

Further why would protestors of economic evil and its plight on the planet be wearing labels of any sort. Does No Logo mean nothing to this age cohort of protestors?

What does conscientious objecting activism mean now a days? " I don't want YOU to support wrongdoing, I can do whatever I please"?

Thousands of cars were idling for an hour due to this bridge closure.

Not exactly a climate change or net zero benefit, this protest.

What's the matter with you snowflakes??? Any self righteous Edmontonian owns a Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel 4x4 with a Titanium Bush Rack and Wrangler Mud & Protestor tires.

Just slam the pedal, crash through the police barricade, tear down the valley and RAM right through the protestors.

Gotta get to work on time! Don't want to lose your job at Tim Horton's...

"I was thinking about doing the right thing for the planet, but then those kids made me late for work!"

Hey, I'm describing the reactions that have occurred. Not that its an entirely logical reaction. But in Monday morning commuter traffic, and you may have noted this at some time, reason doesn't always prevail entirely.

To wit the driver this AM that tried to stunt drive over the protestors claimed that the protestors harmed him first so he felt entitled to run them over..

lol that the police didn't arrive from the donut shop until well after the protestors closed the bridge and there were already angry clashes and drivers threw the protestors bikes off the roadway.

One would think police would be present from the start at a known protest that has incited escalations world over.

"Snowflakes?" What's with you and "Noodle" both using this word lately....you guys team up on Sunday nights and scheme some new strange-off-the-cuff derogatory terms?

Snowflake...

At end of protest environmental "Extinction" protestors seen texting on tech devices wearing designer labels drink water out of plastic disposable bottles and not those carton paper thingy type cardboard water bottles Trudeau advocates using...

Further why would protestors of economic evil and its plight on the planet be wearing labels of any sort. Does No Logo mean nothing to this age cohort of protestors?

What does conscientious objecting activism mean now a days? " I don't want YOU to support wrongdoing, I can do whatever I please"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

A*sh*le....

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    A*sh*le....
    Snowflake

You're right....."kids" indeed. I'm ashamed my kid will grow up in this generation of basement dwelling dweebs with what-have-you-done-for-me-lately attitudes. None of these protesters has probably worked a day in his/her life....living off mummy/daddy. All good, deadbeats like these will soon "get theirs" one day....

Haha.....good one...."guns to buy a sandwich?" - how strange...what's with this guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
    I was being willfully disobedient to willful pointless disobedience that actually counters its cause and likely contributes to more harm than good...

As defined by me on a Monday morning..

jk aside I'm just paraphrasing a lot of what the response has been to these protests.

I can see the pov that this form of protest doesn't do a lot to curry support.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-10-2019 at 09:03 AM.

"It's not MY logical fallacy, it's just what other people are saying."

Humans, all, are inherently illogical, we are not rational creatures. The false belief that we may be is only a bias construct mechanism to reduce anxiety and cognitive dissonance..

Present company probably included.

Nobody was harmed in the making of this post.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Humans, all, are inherently illogical, we are not rational creatures. The false belief that we may be is only a bias construct mechanism to reduce anxiety and cognitive dissonance..

Present company probably included.

Nobody was harmed in the making of this post.
    emphasis added...

ignoring of course the environmental cost of the computers or phones used to create and store it and the electrical generation and distribution grids required to distribute it and the internet infrastructure required in order for others to read it.

never mind the lost and non-productive time required to write it and distribute it.

and to respond to it...

ps. i'm not convinced that humans, all, are inherently illogical and not rational creatures simply because most, if not all, construct mechanisms to reduce anxiety and cognitive dissonance. to agree with you would require the assumption that constructing mechanisms to reduce anxiety and cognitive dissonance isn't of itself perfectly logical even though it may in some cases also be destructive either individually or collectively.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Sad that you carry a gun to buy a sandwich.
    Last edited by SP59; 07-10-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Wasn't talking about me, I was calling people who freak out and have road rage, expecting the police to shoot unarmed, peaceful protestors because they are delayed getting to work. I bet the ones who posted such despicable comments don't even commute over the bridge and were unaffected but their snowflake attitude, crying in their cornflakes this morning and posting hateful messages on a anonymous forum makes them feel brave and self righteous.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Re: Dark. We all know he wasn’t serious about it but you would be a bit slow to pick up on that of course. The usual daily mountain out of mole hill routine. Too much pea soup and poutine maybe. lol
    Last edited by Drumbones; 07-10-2019 at 03:13 PM.

^ I don't agree with your assumed summary of events. It's quite obvious you have a chip off your back for Edmonton PRT, and your usually quick to chastise others before considering facts is well known.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Re: Dark. We all know he wasn’t serious about it but you would be a bit slow to pick up on that of course. The usual daily mountain out of mole hill routine. Too much pea soup and poutine maybe. lol
    perhaps Dark Magnus wasn't serious when he said "**** rubber bullets real ones need to be used" but he did open the thread with a call for the swat team to be down there and get them off the bridge.

it's one thing to be over the top on occasion and apologize for it, quite another to be consistent enough on that front to make people wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    perhaps Dark Magnus wasn't serious when he said "**** rubber bullets real ones need to be used" but he did open the thread with a call for the swat team to be down there and get them off the bridge.

it's one thing to be over the top on occasion and apologize for it, quite another to be consistent enough on that front to make people wonder.
    our so called police force basicly let those fuckers get away with blocking the bridge every other city arrested the people so what the actual **** is wrong this city

C2E Long Term Contributor

Walt Jr is now back open as the morons are now off the bridge. **** the eps for not arresting this morons i hope each and every one of those protest morons losses their jobs and gets blacklisted from ever getting a job ever again
    Walt Jr??? About the only other person in the city who uses this nickname is that Daintre ditz on Global Morning News.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Walt Jr??? About the only other person in the city who uses this nickname is that Daintre ditz on Global Morning News.
    everyone uses it just because you dont doesnt mean ****

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

our so called police force basicly let those fuckers get away with blocking the bridge every other city arrested the people so what the actual **** is wrong this city
    yeah, i know...

we should have had swat out first thing at 7:02 using live ammunition to set a real example for the rest of the country what happens when you **** with Dark Magnus' commute!!!

as if that wouldn't have tied up traffic trying to use the walterdale bridge at all.

out of curiosity, would you care to tell us how much longer those bridges in every other city took to reopen because of the arrests?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    It actually annoyed me. 5am and this newsperson is saying theres a massive disruption at Walt Jr. Massive disruption at Walt Jr. Stay away.

I had no idea what she was referring to given it was so early in the AM and pre coffee.

Its really improper, in anycase, to use nicknames like that which most people wouldn't know about, on a newscast, which has as its intent to inform people, and not use secret codes and urban slangs..

Its called Walterdale Bridge. Is that too difficult to say on a newscast?
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-10-2019 at 04:57 PM.

The protestors drove the canoe in and out on a rusty old GM long cab pickup truck. The kind that dad probably drived in the 80's complete with cab hard shell. The huge overkill truck was seen to be spewing exhaust, burning, oil, had trouble even starting, and its a known gas guzzler.

But commenting on this, and the absolute complete inconsistency, and hypocrisy, by the protestors is considered ad hominin attack..

Worse the canoe was simply a prop. There was no reason for any of the protestors to drive to the bridge. None at all. Nor did they even attempt to hide the fact that they rode the canoe in on a rusted out gas guzzler. Its like it didn't occur to them that this might be seen as hypocrisy. I don't really know how.

Pictures and film of these dolts loading the pink canoe back onto the truck is all over the internet. Ironically they used the same bridge they closed just hours before to leave the area. Probably complaining about the traffic..
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-10-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Next time I see Dark Maggot in the 12 items or Less line, with 14 items, I am getting out the pepper spray and the Tazer.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^

as the owner of 2 28 year v-12's, i might be prepared to cut them a bit of slack on this one... one of the things with older vehicles is that while they can be replaced, the manufacturing cost of the replacement and the demolition/recycling costs of the old one don't always outweigh the energy consumption savings that will be delivered by the replacement. and even then, it assumes that the vehicle being replaced is actually demolished/recycled. if not and it is just passed on to someone else that continues to operate it until it reaches the end of it's natural life span, then its replacement is just greenwashing and even less environmentally sound.

At least you're not getting out your hand gun. So he should be happy about that.
    Last edited by SP59; 07-10-2019 at 06:11 PM.

The .303 is on the rack in the pickup. Useful in the Tim Horton's drive-thru when Dark Maggot can't decide which donuts he wants.

top ******* kek look at the hypocrisy of these so called protesters

https://www.reddit.com/r/Edmonton/co...ter_hypocrisy/

Time to fire the poilce chief as well mother ****** defended the protest morons

Seems to have been a very emotional situation.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

you need to get a little bit more worked up and emotional before you post...

C2E Long Term Contributor

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

This event got national media coverage with some of it hopefully showing off our “signature” bridge from some great angles. (I imagine it may be decades before it gets Edmonton in the news again.)

'Very ticked off commuters': Climate protest shuts down Walterdale Bridge during rush hour

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...idge-1.5311465
    Climate change activists dismantle Walterdale #BridgeOut blockade after heated protest

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/cl...est/vi-AAIqfMQ

Climate change activists, drivers clash at Walterdale Bridge blockade Monday morning in Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

https://twitter.com/kendraslugoski/s...0%2Fframe.html

https://globalnews.ca/news/5999281/e...erdale-bridge/
    Last edited by KC; 07-10-2019 at 11:16 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I love they wanted to go to jail,and make a big deal out of that, our police handled it well no jail..
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I love they wanted to go to jail,and make a big deal out of that, our police handled it well no jail..
    Don't agree at all.

There was no way this needed to be a negotiated truce. The Police had numbers out and had more constables there, then the number of protestors present there. There were 9 on the line there, in the bridge. From reports only another half dozen of the group were present, if that. Compared to every other city that had this bridge protest this was a very small protest gathering. For sure it would be difficult to do anything if there hundreds of these protestors lined up like in Vancouver. But these weren't numbers, and this should have been easily dealt with. The EPS, who are known to be slow acting to nearly anything that arises sure took their time with this. The protestors were blocking the bridge from around 6:50-8:15am. Constables just standing there spending more time confronting the law abiding drivers trying to get to work than the protestors who wanted to be arrested.

We have a far too sympathetic Police Chief imo. But sympathetic to the law breakers and NOT those who pay his salary. Not impressed with that as I'm sure almost any commuting driver yesterday wasn't either.

If this EPS force has to ever deal with a very serious, and bigger protest or rebellion I don't know how they would handle it. Really this looked like a dozen officers that would be uncomfortable effecting takedowns in that situation. Looked like a couple seasoned vets and a bunch of rooks getting their feet wet.

Reminds me of an incident a block away this summer. The police took 7-8hrs to deal with a domestic violence situation involving one man. They had 8 cars within one block, they had others blocking traffic. Bus routes were redirected all day. People couldn't drive home. They talked to the guy for hours. They were fine with taking their sweet time and not having to respond to any other calls that whole day (hmmm). They finally threw a couple buzzbangers through the window, couple smoke bombs, sprayed some pepper spray or something in the house and the guy walks out with his hands up. Something that could have taken place in an hour took a complete shift. But hey, it was evening, time for the cops to wrap up, do some paperwork, go home, and I'm sure they were fine with the day spent responding to one situation, a one man standoff. Up to 16 highly paid officers spent their entire 8hr shift dealing with a one man fairly routine domestic dispute situation. (I even know all the particulars being a neighbor)

I'm sure a lot of people could retell events like this involving our do as little as possible EPS force.

I wouldn't have been saying this 10, 20, 30 yrs ago but our police force has gone in a major soft policing direction. People wanted this direction, one that is careful to respect and be nice in all its dealings. To not be carding, etc. This is soft policing, least intrusive possible, and this is what it looks like.

Many other jurisdictions arrested these protestors. But not here..
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-10-2019 at 07:41 AM.

The post-execution costs though are onerous. Filling out reports, internal investigations, time spent in front of the media, the inevitable lawsuits, added protests over police brutality... its a PITA.

No one from the convoys was arrested, why would they arrest anyone on the blockades? Both caused massive disruptions to commute times.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    No one from the convoys was arrested, why would they arrest anyone on the blockades? Both caused massive disruptions to commute times.
    Well, it seems that replacement feels that if they had the power to do so, they should have used it. (Maybe he has a dark authoritarian-loving side. )

replacement says a lot of things, but later comes back and revokes his previous statement once he's calmed down and rationalized his thoughts.

Did they apply and were they granted a permit?

There is a process to protest.

The convoy wasn't a blockade and at no point were they blocking all traffic and closing all lanes. Traffic was going through at all times. Plus that during the convoy traffic was never trapped as such. They drove on the highway and on Henday. Exits are everwhere to use, no drivers were trapped against their will. No drivers were detained against their will and prevented from getting to work as was the case on Monday.

But as to your other comment yeah, I am somewhat mercurial in nature. I cede that and its fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Well, it seems that replacement feels that if they had the power to do so, they should have used it. (Maybe he has a dark authoritarian-loving side. )
    Most other jurisdictions arrested some of the protestors and ceased the blockade. Its not unreasonable to suggest that around 16 constables on site could adequately deal with 12 or 15 protestors. This was a very small gathering. As I stated it wasn't hundreds of protestors like what was being seen in other cities.

Its even been the topic of humor how few protestors were at this event.

Seeing the traffic tide up like that, wow, that was awful for those that need to be at work on time, then we have to use resources to get them down from a bridge( I'd of left them) were those cars running? Because that defeats the purpose..lol
    Animals are my passion.

The protesters were handing out cookies (vegan) so it wasn't all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    The protesters were handing out cookies (vegan) so it wasn't all bad.
    How did they bake the cookies and in what?
    Animals are my passion.

I didn't read about the logistics of the cookie offering, they may have baked them at home. There were some of the protesters going car-to-car offering cookies and explaining their cause.

The convoy wasn't a blockade and at no point were they blocking all traffic and closing all lanes. Traffic was going through at all times. Plus that during the convoy traffic was never trapped as such. They drove on the highway and on Henday. Exits are everwhere to use, no drivers were trapped against their will. No drivers were detained against their will and prevented from getting to work as was the case on Monday.

But as to your other comment yeah, I am somewhat mercurial in nature. I cede that and its fair point.
    The first convoy was not letting traffic through. I stood and watched it from my office windows which face right out on to the Henday SW. Looking at google maps at that time, traffic was $#%$#%$^ from Nisku to Yellowhead. It caused absolute chaos at rush hour. All other detours were congested like never before. It certainly was as bad then as it was on Monday, if not worse, as you're blocking the entire main provincial highway through Edmonton.

The first convoy was not letting traffic through. I stood and watched it from my office windows which face right out on to the Henday SW. Looking at google maps at that time, traffic was $#%$#%$^ from Nisku to Yellowhead. It caused absolute chaos at rush hour. All other detours were congested like never before. It certainly was as bad then as it was on Monday, if not worse, as you're blocking the entire main provincial highway through Edmonton.
    I was still driving, at that time, and when I was on there backlog occurred. But I was able to pass through lanes that were left open. But being that you state that complete blockage occurred then I do think arrests ought to have occurred in that instance. Its fair point that the degree of congestion was off the charts with the convoy.

Thanks for the information.

I didn't read about the logistics of the cookie offering, they may have baked them at home. There were some of the protesters going car-to-car offering cookies and explaining their cause.
    Me: "Gluten offerings, you're offering me Vegan Gluten cookies as a peace offering to a celiac. **** on that.."

I was still driving, at that time, and when I was on there backlog occurred. But I was able to pass through lanes that were left open. But being that you state that complete blockage occurred then I do think arrests ought to have occurred in that instance. Its fair point that the degree of congestion was off the charts with the convoy.

Thanks for the information.

They occupied both lanes of the Henday SW heading heading west then north, driving at under 20 km/h, and didn't let anyone pass, and was probably several hundred deep, so even if a few let you pass, you were stuck in the middle of chaos. It literally took an extra 1.5 - 2 hours to get to your destination if you were caught in that, which from the sounds of it, not much different than the bridge blockade.

Oh , I was just wondering, if the cookies were baked using solar power..😊
    Animals are my passion.

Oh , I was just wondering, if the cookies were baked using solar power..��
    They were poorly executed and half baked..

OK, just an attempt at humor here. The half baked HAD to come in at some point. I mean c'mon!

Sometimes you just wish for the days of 'grabbing by the scruff of the neck and a boot up the arse', doncha?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Convoy = 90% support of Albertans. (the normals)Walt blockade= 10% of Albertans support.(the weirdos)

I detest EPS as much as the next guy but we are blessed to live in Canada where you have the Charter Right to peaceful assembly.

The EPS did their job this time around.

If you want SWAT Team or people shot dead for protesting then you are a fascist.

Was the protesters actions hypocritical & ironic? Sure. You can disagree with a protesters positions. You cannot disagree with the right to protest.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    I detest EPS as much as the next guy but we are blessed to live in Canada where you have the Charter Right to peaceful assembly.

If you want SWAT Team or people shot dead for protesting then you are a fascist.

Was the protesters actions hypocritical & ironic? Sure. You can disagree with a protesters positions. You cannot disagree with the right to protest.
    If you are late for work, or you have a deadline to meet, I would definitely disagree with their right to protest. They might not have a job, but to hold all these people with their cars running, was bloody ludicrous.
    Animals are my passion.

Oh , I was just wondering, if the cookies were baked using solar power..��
    They were poorly executed and half baked..

OK, just an attempt at humor here. The half baked HAD to come in at some point. I mean c'mon!
    It did indeed.!
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Did they apply and were they granted a permit?

There is a process to protest.
    Let’s protest that!

I wonder how these environmentalists would do if the road to the airport were to be blocked when the massive junkets occur to various anti-pollution conferences and accord signings. Thousands or even tens of thousands of attendees missing their flights to Paris, Kyoto etc.*

Note that with terrorists and terrorism, they often, most often it seems, don’t attack the authorities that are at the centre of their disputes and hatred but instead they blow up, shoot or run down relatively innocent bystanders in restaurants, hotels, buses, sidewalks, etc. The leaders and coordinators of course don’t risk their own lives they find fools to do the dirty work, to be the suicide bombers, etc. And when the mayhem must stop they negotiate - with those authorities - for immunity for themselves.

So in my mind peaceful protest is standing in front of the legislature, maybe marching down a street. Always respectful and minimizing the impact on innocent bystanders.

When protest is aimed at disruption of innocent bystanders lives it’s on that slippery slope towards violent protest. Which we all know does bring about change as compared to peaceful protest where the authorities mostly just ignore it.

* again, my dream is the old giving of people a taste of their own medicine dream as in spray painting graffiti on a graffiti artist’s shirt to see if they positively embrace me and my spray can, or they flip out, get angry at my vandalism/art of their property.
    Last edited by KC; 09-10-2019 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post

You right to gather peacefully and protest ends when you start violating others rights. The right to protest and gather peacefully does not include blocking or impeding roadways, railways, etc. I said the same thing about the convoys, and I'm saying the same thing here. Your 'peaceful' protest did only harm to your cause by pissing off the people you want to support you.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/can-prot...says-1.4629594

"In Canada, all people have the right to gather peacefully. There are however limitations to peaceful assemblies contained in various sections of the criminal code," said McFee.The Charter of Rights and Freedoms does state that all Canadians have the freedom of peaceful assembly and freedom of expression, with limits.
    However, a spokesperson for the Canadian Civil Liberties Association says it all comes down to whether those limits are reasonable.
    'Protests, to be effective, have to be disruptive'
    "Courts have said generally that unless what they call a breach of the peace is taking place during a protests, which usually would involve some level of violence, that there should be the right to protest," said Cara Zwibel, director of the CCLA's Fundamental Freedoms Program.
    According to the Criminal Code of Canada, a protest can turn unlawful if it "disturbs the peace tumultuously" or provokes others to disturb the peace.
    Since the Edmonton protest did not engage or provoke violence, Zwibel said it's just part of living in a democratic country.

I didn't know the protesters, arrived in a fossil fueled vehicle, how bloody ironic.
    Animals are my passion.

I didn't know the protesters, arrived in a fossil fueled vehicle, how bloody ironic.
    Addicts all - but some are trying to break their habit?

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Addicts all - but some are trying to break their habit?

You don't protest fossil fuel, by driving something that needs it.. I'm just afraid that things will get violent
    Animals are my passion.

there was lots of irony in yesterday's protest... blocking traffic, forcing people to idle their fossil fuel burning cars for a better part of the morning.... not to mention arriving by co2 releasing vehicles... with iphones and all the latest tech gear....

I'd have a lot more support for them if they represented the change they want everyone to be.

Thread was good for a laugh.
    Summary for what is allowed to Protesting Climate Change = eating food I killed and picked myself, wearing clothing I skinned myself with tools I made myself, living in a home I built myself off the grid and not having any access to technology, and protesting where I won't be able to bother anyone.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Being the change you are standing out and blocking traffic for? Good lord lots of irony.

And lets face it. I'm all for fixing the climate, but until we start holding corporations across this country and across the globe accountable for the pollution they are causing, we as individual citizens won't make a difference.

How to make corporations feel the need to change besides making new laws? STOP BUYING THE PRODUCTS!!!! When shareholder profits drop, change will ensue.

stop protesting for change. Be the Change. Be the Example. Lead the way. Don't tell me what to do while you are doing the same thing I am.

One farmer produces more plastic waste wrapping up his produce than most families would in a full year. Look at all those bales out there currently, each bale wrapped and wrapped in white plastics.... just so it can be transported, and then the plastic is DISPOSED of... in to the landfills.
    Last edited by Medwards; 09-10-2019 at 10:05 AM.