Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avoid walterdale bridge!!!!!!

I'd rather C2E than work!

There's a lot of pent up rage in the UK at present. Doesn't take much to reach a flashpoint.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    Finally, the people pushed back ..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ning-Town.html

Just like the protestors have a right to protest, the commuters have a right to earn a living. Simply pull them off, no violence needed.
    Hitting mass transit users. I guess they should be biking to work. Or maybe that’s not good enough. It’s walk or nothing. Save the planet!

Seems attaining social license is as elusive as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    There's a lot of pent up rage in the UK at present. Doesn't take much to reach a flashpoint.
    Especially when they have a job to go to, not a good idea to hold up their commute!
    Animals are my passion.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Just like the protestors have a right to protest, the commuters have a right to earn a living. Simply pull them off, no violence needed.
    Hitting mass transit users. I guess they should be biking to work. Or maybe that’s not good enough. It’s walk or nothing. Save the planet!

Absolutely ridiculous that they hit the public transit trains. What on Earth?

Wheres the logic in that?

Ironic as well that the protest was holding back transit busses too.

isn't that the desired ecologically expedient mode?

Are these protests just anarchy with an ecological flag?

Leave it to brits to not take it and just shut it down.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

I think they are just trying to create problems regardless of the consequences.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    I think they are just trying to create money regardless of the consequences.
    Change one word & it applies to the protested, not the protestors.

(And I'd have used "raise awareness" to describe the protestors. Protests are a means to an end, not the end themselves.)
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

So there's going to be a climate change protest, and and a counter convoy-protest? Good thing I don't have to go near the henday or downtown.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Note that Extinction Rebellion was banned--probably unlawfully--by the police from protesting in the City of London. This probably spurred some members of the movement into escalation. Nevertheless, a large proportion of XR remain opposed to disrupting public transit.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...on-underground

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    So there's going to be a climate change protest, and and a counter convoy-protest? Good thing I don't have to go near the henday or downtown.
    Must be something about certain protestors’ personalities that they enjoy inflicting some sort of pain or inconvenience on innocent victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Rachael Notley learned this hard lesson on fanatics.

Animals are my passion.

Shouldn't those counter protesters be at work?! Let the experts handle this.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Shouldn't those counter protesters be at work?! Let the experts handle this.
    Umm, they'd be at work,if they had some!!!
    Animals are my passion.

Had that gaggle of protestors on the Walterdale been transferred to one of London's bridges I can't see brits sitting in their vehicles sipping coffee and waiting it out. It'd be, "Right, mate. We'll bloody sort this!"
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post

Had that gaggle of protestors on the Walterdale been transferred to one of London's bridges I can't see brits sitting in their vehicles sipping coffee and waiting it out. It'd be, "Right, mate. We'll bloody sort this!"
    Especially the London cabbies! LOL
    Animals are my passion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...idlock-to-city

Yeah, the cabbies in the UK have a history of being against environmental protection & consideration when it affects their ability to turn a profit, which has created a bit of a downward spiral as they've not won many friends in their own protests & prompted a significant segment of the market to switch to ridesharing services.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Yeah, Top_Dawg absolutely loves all the angst and turmoil of this contrived shitshow.

Spurred by the vanity of some faux child celebrity a bunch of giddy students, desperate to seize some opportunity - any opportunity - to skip classes join into her wing nut protest march to the leg.

The government with a large majority wisely opts to just ignore the whole thing.

The opposition - seemingly oblivious to the fact that they are now the opposition for zealously trumpeting this climate change hysteria - double down to be seen once again as working against the biggest industry in the province.

Counter protesters who should follow the lead of their government and ignore the whole thing and let it blow over stupidly decide to give it legitimacy and show up.

The only thing missing is if winter had come early and it was -25 out there.

That would have been the pinnacle.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^ Well said.
    Go Canucks Go!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^ ^^

well said???

i'm not so sure. would it be considered "well said" if you deleted "climate change" and substituted any of the following:

• acid rain
    • chlorofluorocarbons
    • clear cutting
    • segregation/civil rights
    • the vietnam war
    • nuclear proliferation
    • women's suffrage
    • gay rights and pride marches

i'm pretty sure that's far from a complete list but hopefully it makes the point i'm trying to make. every single one of those protest movements had supporters of the status quo try and dismiss them as wing-nut protesters as well.

they may all have had their share of wing-nuts involved in them but that doesn't mean the underlying principles or topics should be dismissed. we all have better lives today as a result of the success of those wing-nuts' protests.

we need to listen and respond appropriately, not dismiss. and by listening and responding appropriately, i mean with inclusion, not with counter protests and rhetoric that increases rather than bridges the divides being created.
    Last edited by kcantor; 18-10-2019 at 09:31 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Yeah, Top_Dawg absolutely loves all the angst and turmoil of this contrived shitshow.

Spurred by the vanity of some faux child celebrity a bunch of giddy students, desperate to seize some opportunity - any opportunity - to skip classes join into her wing nut protest march to the leg.

The government with a large majority wisely opts to just ignore the whole thing.

The opposition - seemingly oblivious to the fact that they are now the opposition for zealously trumpeting this climate change hysteria - double down to be seen once again as working against the biggest industry in the province.

Counter protesters who should follow the lead of their government and ignore the whole thing and let it blow over stupidly decide to give it legitimacy and show up.

The only thing missing is if winter had come early and it was -25 out there.

That would have been the pinnacle.

TD, they wouldn't show up in -25, this was planned to happen during the election.
    Animals are my passion.

Yeah, hilarious.,

Top_Dawg actually cut his day a bit short and ambled down to Boston Pizza on Jasper to poke down a few beer and see first hand the caliber of wing nut that would participate in this shitshow.

He was walking down Jasper just as they surged.

The amount of f*ck nuts was unreal.

Stunning.

At least the students and left wing nuts could be understandable given the f*cked up rhetoric they are constantly bombarded with.

Then it got worse.

Top_Dawg had to turn away from the crowd so they wouldn't see him laughing out loud.

Within the crowd there was a group of wing nuts in wheelchairs. walkers, and medical scooters waving chanting and waving their f*cked up signs protesting pipelines.

Really ?

Really ?

What would their f*cked up lives be without the energy industry in this province ?

Where would they be ?

The biggest users of public services protesting exactly against the industry that gives them at least some quality of life.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

The brain dead disconnect of some people is just head shaking unreal.

I think both sides of the debate have some right ideas and concerns and if only we can set aside this mentality of us vs them, you are with us or against us, in fact moving towards solutions for climate change would be more achievable.

Greta has some positive perspectives, regardless of if you think others behind the scenes are guiding her. She showcased the need for consumers to have to change their consumption choices, if they are serious about climate. Reducing emissions at the production phase only contributes about 20% of the emissions while the combustion and consumption of energy unleashes 80% (rough estimate, based on presentation by Jackie Forrest at Arc Energy).

in today’s rally, she also correctly pointed out the need to avoid political partisanship on this issue. It reminded me of the Pew poll showing in US climate change is now as partisan an issue as gun ownership: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ong-democrats/

The world is changing and we rightfully should be part of the solution not the problem. And raging against Greta won’t help our cause.

We also need to better show the limits of the climate strike and other activists, a point counter-strikers might hope to raise. But the message is lost in the theatrics. Greta can freely travel from across the pond to the doorsteps of Alberta legislator to protest her perceived lack of action on climate. But at the global level, countries whose emissions matter, like China, don’t provide a similar opportunity to her and any other protest. And authoritarian energy producing countries like Russia and Saudis will only be happy to fill any gap Canada’s stranded oil production will leave behind.

I thought this news captured the absurdity of the situation the best. While we were focused on Greta and her protest, Qatar started air conditioning “outdoors” as the heat became unbearable: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ning-outdoors/

I love how Greta said, poorer countries need clean drinking water, hello? FN anyone? many of them need clean drinking water..and they reside in Canada! Im not raging against her, she looked so small when she arrived at the Leg, and buses came to see her from Calgary.She just knows so little about what the industry does in AB, we are not Saudi, or Venezuela, and we will do better, we cant stop everything as fast as she seems to think we can, we took a long time to get here, and billions of cars on our roads aren't going anywhere, for a long long time
    Animals are my passion.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Did they apply and were they granted a permit?

There is a process to protest.
    Was an answer to Edmonton PRT's question ever determined?

From pg 27 of: Bylaw 5590 - Traffic Bylaw

OBSTRUCTION 60

1. A person shall not stand or be in any other position on a highway so as to obstruct the entrance to a building or to obstruct pedestrians or vehicles using the highway.
    2. This section does not apply to persons participating in or assembled to watch a parade for which a permit has been issued pursuant to this bylaw.

Replacement, rupikhalon001 and others are pointing fingers at the EPS officers and chief for seeming to allow the protest to continue for a hour.

If the protestors went through the City's "Special Events Application" process, requested a "Road Permit" from their Event Liaison and accepted estimates for "costs accrued by utilizing Traffic, ETS, and EPS services (if required for your event)", then once their application was approved, presumably EPS became obliged to fulfill the City's agreed-upon obligation to allow the protestors to close down traffic on the road.

I doubt those cops or the chief wanted to side w/ the protesters.

Let's look to the Civic Events Office, council members and Mayor iVision for answers as to how Monday's blockade came to pass.

I imagine some C2E'r knows how to determine whether permits were issued allowing the closure of Walterdale Bridge.

Protest is protected by our Canadian Charter you knobs

No permit was pulled and unless the protest incites violence (from either the protesters or the people disrupted) then the police did their job.

Canadian Charter > YEG Bylaws
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

The right to protest does not include the right to block peoples movements. That's a violation of the charter of rights. You have to right to peaceful assembly, not to block trains, traffic etc.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Blocking a single bridge doesn't block movements though, as there's other options to get across the river.

If they had blocked a substantial amount of the access routes in & out of the core then maybe they'd be restricting people's movements. I don't think the right to a stress-free, shortest-distance commute is enshrined in the Charter.

Blocking a bridge does block movements though. I don't believe the right to peaceful assembly includes blocking bridges and other transportation, though you are right, there is nothing enshrined in the charter that says you have the right to a stress-free, shortest-distance commute...

It's a slippery slope issue. If we continue to allow things like this, it will become the normal. Have an issue that you don't feel is getting enough attention? Block an important trasportation corridor. Don't worry, the police didn't do anything last time.

What's your over/under on amount of blocked access routes before it becomes restricting people's movements? 2 bridges? a half dozen? What if they have blocked the LRT bridge? What if they blocked the highlevel forcing ambulances to take a much longer route - potentially affecting lives? No worries there because it didn't happen this time...

Putting limits on peaceful assembly, free speech & protesting is a far more dangerous slippery slope than any slope created by those that choose to express their rights.

Don't like people shining a light on an issue? Kick up enough fuss then complain to the authorities to restrict their rights to ensure that those people can't actually manifest change going forward.
    Last edited by noodle; 30-10-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Blocking a single bridge doesn't block movements though, as there's other options to get across the river.

If they had blocked a substantial amount of the access routes in & out of the core then maybe they'd be restricting people's movements. I don't think the right to a stress-free, shortest-distance commute is enshrined in the Charter.
    Up to a thousand commuters including some on city busses were stuck having already committed to the Walterdale one way bridge with no other way to go.

Certainly the protest blocked movements for all those people.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

A couple thousand people being inconvenienced for a couple of hours is pretty flimsy justification to restricting/removing people's Charter rights.

^ At what point though does it pose a real risk. Traffic was backing up on major roads south. Does this mean they could protest every day for an hour at the bridge ?.
    They could have do this at a less busy time, they could have left after 20 mins. All they really done was to make people mad, frustrated and more than likely polarized people against them. If you want people on your side, you try to make a point without alienating them. If they had left after 20min I suspect there would have been less angry people and maybe more positive support.
    I do not have the charter in front of me, but it also guarantees people rights with respect to mobility, earn a living and such. The charter is not a free for all, and the courts have said such. Reasonable limits can be enforced, but a court would have to determine that.

The mobility rights in the Charter, Section 6:

Mobility of citizens

6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada

• (2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right
      • (a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
      • (b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
    Nothing there about people's right to get to work on time.

The protesters' actions are consistent with the Fundamental Freedoms in Section 2:

Fundamental freedoms
    2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

• (a) freedom of conscience and religion;
    • (b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
    • (c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
    • (d) freedom of association.
    Emphasis mine.

A couple thousand people being inconvenienced for a couple of hours is pretty flimsy justification to restricting/removing people's Charter rights.
    Not what I stated in the reply.

I was responding to this statement by you;

"Blocking a single bridge doesn't block movements though, as there's other options to get across the river."

Are you now moving goalposts on what blocked movement is?

^
    (c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

Interesting, if the police asked the protestors to move, and they refused to obey a lawful request. Is that still considered 'peaceful' Another way this could have been resolved is if the general public/ protestors got into a fight, or something then it would no longer be considered peaceful. At that point the police could have shut the whole thing down.
    There is a very fine balance here, and blocking a main bridge into downtown for an hour on Monday morning caused problems. It did not only impact the bridge, it also impacted several bocks and roads south of the bridge.

Not what I stated in the reply.
    It's a literal quote from your reply. Did you not say what you said?

I was responding to this statement by you;

"Blocking a single bridge doesn't block movements though, as there's other options to get across the river."

Are you now moving goalposts on what blocked movement is?
    Not at all. Was the Walterdale Bridge blocked? Sure. That specific 1km stretch of the thousands of kilometers of roads in Edmonton was unavailable for a few hours. One river crossing out of the what, four that lead into the core was out of commission.
    Is it the only way Downtown? No, as thousands of other Edmontonians managed to inform themselves before/during their commute & managed to get Downtown with a modicum of inconvenience.
    Is any of this blocking of a road even remotely relevant to the mobility rights as enshrined in the Charter? Heavens no.
    Is the amount of hot air you blow a global warming equivalent to all the GHG emissions from the protest? Very likely so.

We live in a free society & said freedom isn't always convenient. The inconveniencing of others is terribly flimsy justification for the reductions of fundamental freedoms.

There is a very fine balance here, and blocking a main bridge into downtown for an hour on Monday morning caused problems. It did not only impact the bridge, it also impacted several bocks and roads south of the bridge.
    There's no 'fine balance ' between fundamental freedoms enshrined in the charter & entitled people wanting a quick & trouble-free commute.

^

Interesting, if the police asked the protestors to move, and they refused to obey a lawful request. Is that still considered 'peaceful' Another way this could have been resolved is if the general public/ protestors got into a fight, or something then it would no longer be considered peaceful. At that point the police could have shut the whole thing down.
    "I was inconvenienced by folks expressing their fundamental rights to protest."

Well I'm routinely inconvenienced by car drivers expressing their "right" to drive to work and create congestion... making me late for work every day...hmmm... A slippery slope!
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    ^

"I was inconvenienced by folks expressing their fundamental rights to protest."

Well I'm routinely inconvenienced by car drivers expressing their "right" to drive to work and create congestion... making me late for work every day...hmmm... A slippery slope!

The "slippery slope" is found in this nature of attack;

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...3-220b45e3b83e

Attendees had to be escorted away for their safety, by police, after attending a speech. Due to the crowd being frothed into a frenzy that what was occurring was vile hate speech. With those at the protest expressing fear while also producing it..

Similarly the same occurred at events where Maxime Bernier was speaking during the election with Seniors being prevented from entering.

I think theres a bit of inconsistency going on and that some of the same new age protesters would cry foul all day if their protest was shutdown but have no problem shutting down free speech whether its any of the above or an anti abortion presentation or a Jordan Peterson talk.

Now I wouldn't be inclined to attend any of the first two, but I would attend a Jordan Peterson speech, and I would expect all such thing to be allowed and condoned, free speech and all.
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-10-2019 at 11:45 AM.

I think theres a bit of inconsistency going on and that some of the same new age protesters would cry foul all day if their protest was shutdown but have no problem shutting down free speech whether its any of the above or an anti abortion presentation or a Jordan Peterson talk.

Now I wouldn't be inclined to attend any of the first two, but I would attend a Jordan Peterson speech, and I would expect all such thing to be allowed and condoned, free speech and all.
    This explains so, so much.

This explains so, so much.
    As does your reaction. Which was more predictable than mine given you've cited the same Karl Popper meme countless times and that you utilize it as a defence mechanism in every instance that precedes an attack on others views.

Which I sense is coming down the pipe..

But I would attend a Peterson speech due to an interest in a range of views and fluid thought. I wouldn't be inclined as you to label him. Not that I would agree with everything he would have to say. But your affliction with Karl Popper just seems so convenient.

But your affliction with Karl Popper just seems so convenient.
    Refusing to tolerate the intolerant is a personal maxim & every time feckless folks like yourself attempt to call me out on it I will continue to repeat it.

You're more interested in supporting the intolerant it seems. Are you a fan of Peterson's anti-science views, his misogyny, his racism or is it just the whole divisive, hateful, regressive package that interests you?

But your affliction with Karl Popper just seems so convenient.
    Refusing to tolerate the intolerant is a personal maxim & every time feckless folks like yourself attempt to call me out on it I will continue to repeat it.

You're more interested in supporting the intolerant it seems. Are you a fan of Peterson's anti-science views, his misogyny, his racism or is it just the whole divisive, hateful, regressive package that interests you?
    The only thing you are illuminating here is your feckless polarized thought process which is so predictable.

I find Peterson interesting if only because he highlights the very pre-emptive condemnation that increasing exists today in society, ironically under the guise of tolerance. Nor would Karl Popper approve of all the manners in which his work is being used.

You can proceed to label me a bigot, racist, etc, as you've done before.

I will not be influenced by your proclamation, and I will not be deterred by it.

Do what you must ..
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-10-2019 at 12:30 PM.

I find Peterson interesting if only because he highlights the very pre-emptive condemnation that increasing exists today in society, ironically under the guise of tolerance.
    How is condemning someone for their sincerely held & expressed regressive views "pre-emptive"?

Nor would Karl Popper approve of all the manners in which his work is being used.
    Citation please. Unless you're using your laughably incoherent ability to try and perceive the thoughts of others.

I will not be influenced by your proclamation, and I will not be deterred by it.

Do what you must ..
    Oh I know full well that you'll never change your ways Replacement. Your own ego precludes the level of introspection & self-development that personal growth requires.

I find Peterson interesting if only because he highlights the very pre-emptive condemnation that increasing exists today in society, ironically under the guise of tolerance.
    How is condemning someone for their sincerely held & expressed regressive views "pre-emptive"?

Nor would Karl Popper approve of all the manners in which his work is being used.
    Citation please. Unless you're using your laughably incoherent ability to try and perceive the thoughts of others.

Do what you must ..
    Oh I know full well that you'll never change your ways Replacement. Your own ego precludes the level of introspection & self-development that personal growth requires.

I resist responding in kind. You are a highly intelligent, analytical, thoughtful, articulate, individual who happens to disagree with others on certain issues, which is fine, in open discourse. I have no doubt that in your reckoning you do that completely out of principled action. What I would perceive as your fault however is pre conclusion on that which you would attack. Its not enough to simply label something regressive so as to attack it. That parallels confirmation bias and Strawman attack more than it Parallels the work of Popper.

I do change my ways. But not always in manners in which others, or yourself would approve.

Ego is a false embodiment, an irascible distraction in the sands of time. I am but a particle. Soon to be blown in cosmic wind. btw personal growth, and the concept, is a self congratulating ego construct. Nice try.

The interesting thing is we wouldn't be having any of this exchange if you believed both;

1) That I'm a bigot

2) That you devoutly follow Karl Popper.

In anycase many varying takes on Popper exist. This is a reasonable read;

https://www.politicalanimalmagazine....f-intolerance/
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-10-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Welp reported my own post to get this locked since this is just turning into another attack each other thread.......

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    Welp reported my own post to get this locked since this is just turning into another attack each other thread.......
    would that have been your opening post or the one where you said "**** rubber bullets real ones need to be used" or one of the others?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12