Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 630 CHED

First One is Always Free

Default 630 CHED

I remember when 630 CHED was the best AM music station in Edmonton up until 91, then it became a talk radio station and the ***** programmer who decided that is now out here with Global! I worked at the Highway Motor Inn back then as the Sous Chef and Dave who worked with me on the night shift came into work; turned on his radio (he had the tuning knob removed so no one could change the station)! He looked at me and said "Bill, what the heck"?, 'Where's the music"?? I told him that CHED was now all talk radio so he swore and tride to find the knob so he could change the channel to get some music!!

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Re: 630 CHED

So, what's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by nikond
    I remember when 630 CHED was the best AM music station in Edmonton up until 91, then it became a talk radio station and the ***** programmer who decided that is now out here with Global! I worked at the Highway Motor Inn back then as the Sous Chef and Dave who worked with me on the night shift came into work; turned on his radio (he had the tuning knob removed so no one could change the station)! He looked at me and said "Bill, what the heck"?, 'Where's the music"?? I told him that CHED was now all talk radio so he swore and tride to find the knob so he could change the channel to get some music!!
    ^ I remember that too!

Welcome to C2E!

Partially Addicted to C2E

i remember too! think power 92 became the sister station.

I still enjoy 630 cheds Paul Harvey 'and that is the rest of the story" ,

Those are still on? I didn't know that!

I used to love Paul Harvey's rest of the story...

Quote Originally Posted by dwells
    So, what's your point?
    "Good morning! Good morning! It's a Wes Montgomery morning!
    Here to wake you in time, and get you up with a smile! "

(a few minutes later..)

Snort-Snort-Snort!..Sna-snort-snort-snort-SNORT!!!

Addicted to C2E

It was
    Good morning, good morning, it's a Wes Montgomery morning,
    here to wake you with a smile, and get you up on time
    and the Golden Wheel
    and Miles for Millions
    and Bruce Bowie, Chuck Chandler

oh, and Chickenman! He's everywhere, he's everywhere!

I used to like 630 Ched until they started airing (the worlds worst) commercials every 3-4 minutes. I can't stand listening to it anymore - hearing Tony Romas and Alarm Force commercials blasting all the time really turned me off.

The only guy I try to listen to is Charles Addler.

Other than that - It's CBC on 740 or 93.9 - I find they report more things that are going on in the city than any other station.. plus, no commercials

Too. Many. Commercials.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Foster
    ...The only guy I try to listen to is Charles Addler.
    from good old Winnipeg no less.

and then there is their daily Calgary "ooooopen liiiiiiiine".

or a movie/tv/entertainment critic from Vancouver.

or a home renovation advice from Vancouver as well.

or those "old radio shows" from days gone by (geographically neutral but also originating from - wait for it - Vancouver.

or those overnight broadcasts from somewhere strange wherever they originate from.

or harold's investment advice on purchasing gold and collector plates that probably originates from that same murky place.

or leslie's interminable paid commercials (which do at least originate from here).

and good old bob - he'll say the same thing on a local tv affiliate for anyone who cares.

nothing like a good strong local broadcaster.

at least cbc's mandate is to present a national viewpoint (or viewpoints) and they don't hide it. and they manage to it reasonably well while still being a strong regional and local source of real information.

630 ched - radio's version of the edmonton sun?

"630 ched - radio's version of the edmonton sun?"

Yes, I'd say.

Aside from a few good programs (Yes, the old radio shows do interest this 25 year old); the likes of Rutherford, Primeau (sp) and Hall just send cold shivers down my spine... eucchhhh....

I like how CBC gives a great international perspective; but even the small things, like "mr. so and so performing at location X jazz bar tonight"

Quote Originally Posted by microbus
    It was
    Good morning, good morning, it's a Wes Montgomery morning,
    here to wake you with a smile, and get you up on time
    and the Golden Wheel
    and Miles for Millions
    and Bruce Bowie, Chuck Chandler

oh, and Chickenman! He's everywhere, he's everywhere!
    Bob McCord was alway my favorite!! 3 to 6 in the afternoon.

He was always able to rearrange a few of those annoying commercials!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

CHED was that annoying kiddie pop music station when I was growing up. When K-97 came along and started promoting concerts in competition with CHED, our line was that you could tell a K-97 concert from a CHED concert because the CHED concert had 10,000 little kids.

Then it changed to an AM rock station for a little while before they grabbed just about everyone from CJCA after CJCA had changed to an American style talk radio format.

Some of their "highlights" was a sticker that said "Drive Decent" and the time a couple of DJs set up a stunt where someone got into the studio and shot them while on the air. Never heard it but it got the station into a bit of trouble.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor
    630 ched - radio's version of the edmonton sun?
    I call it RedNeck Radio

I'd rather C2E than work!

I do give CHED credit for having the best local news coverage in radio. Two decades ago CJCA, CHQT, CFRN, and even K-97 had a dedicated news department for their radio stations. Today there is only CHED and CBC Radio One.

If CHED can do away with the extreme right-wing radio hosts I'll probably listen to the station more often. No I do not want to see more left-wing bias, I just want to hear a more neutral tone without the usual left versus right wing bickering that is prominent on the Rutherford and Adler programs. It would also be nice if the Primeau Show actually had some interesting guests.

Yes, I'd say.

Aside from a few good programs (Yes, the old radio shows do interest this 25 year old); the likes of Rutherford, Primeau (sp) and Hall just send cold shivers down my spine... eucchhhh....

I like how CBC gives a great international perspective; but even the small things, like "mr. so and so performing at location X jazz bar tonight"
    I'm 23 and those old radio shows have been my go to bed time radio noise for as long as I can remember.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by DanC

Yes, I'd say.

I'm 23 and those old radio shows have been my go to bed time radio noise for as long as I can remember.
    i stand to be corrected by better informed trivia buffs but "those old radio shows" (at least in the beginning and i'm pretty sure to this day) were bootleg tapes which explains the "quality" and characteristics of the sound as well as the inclusion of the original commercials (although i sometimes wonder about the the legality of airing the cigarette ones) of Jack Cullen (CKNW in Vancouver). I think it was Jack who was also responsible for their accumulation of one of the largest vinyl collections anywhere - at one time the station had to acquire outside storage to accomodate it. some of us who haven't been 23 for too long have heard just about every one of those shows over the years - it's nice to know they're still being discovered.

In the early days of collecting OTR (Old Time Radio) there were a few dealers who assembled collections on reel to reel tape, recorded 1/4 track at 3 3/4 ips. These reels were often copied and traded amongst fans of the shows, but that caused quality problems due to the fact that for each new generation the quality would deteriorate. That's a simple fact of analog recording. Also, if someone along the trading line had miss-alligned heads on their machine the resulting copies would get crosstalk where you could hear the adjacent track at a reduced level.

A lot of dealers also sold cassette tapes. At one time there was a club in Edmonton who collected and traded reels. I was a member.
    Another member was the late Carman Madu who built quite a collection, and when he became disabled due to multiple sclerosis he sold his collection to the outfit that does "Those Old Radio Shows."

That particular program really is terrible. If you want to hear how an old radio program should be done, log into "Those Were The Days" on Saturday afternoons at 1:00 pm on www.wdcb.org

Collecting has now entered the digital age with both mp3s and audio cds. Thousands of episodes are available on Usenet at
    alt.binaries.sound.radio.oldtime
    alt.binaries.sounds.radio.oldtime
    and
    alt.binaries.sounds.radio.oldtime.highspeed

Beware of collections on ebay, as they have simply been downloaded from usenet, and there are a lot of errors and mistitled and misdated episodes in
    those cds. Those guys are not dealers or collectors, but merely someone who has found a way to make a few bucks.

A couple of websites of interest:
    My Unofficial Fibber McGee and Molly Home Page
    www.compusmart.ab.ca/agirard/fibber/79.htm

and for info on the absolute best source of pristine OTR on audio CDs Visit the First Generation Radio Archives at http://radioarchives.org/
    and sign up for a free, no-cost, no-obligation membership. On the membership page, when you come to the box labelled "Referral Code," enter the word FIBBER
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by glenorarat
    Bob McCord was alway my favorite!! 3 to 6 in the afternoon.

He was always able to rearrange a few of those annoying commercials!
    I was trying to remember his name.... thank you!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Radio in the glory days...

Now, it is centralized tripe...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66
    I do give CHED credit for having the best local news coverage in radio. Two decades ago CJCA, CHQT, CFRN, and even K-97 had a dedicated news department for their radio stations. Today there is only CHED and CBC Radio One.

If CHED can do away with the extreme right-wing radio hosts I'll probably listen to the station more often. No I do not want to see more left-wing bias, I just want to hear a more neutral tone without the usual left versus right wing bickering that is prominent on the Rutherford and Adler programs. It would also be nice if the Primeau Show actually had some interesting guests.
    Radio and traffic--it is CHED always. For the "game" whether it is Oilers (love Rod's "Ssssssssccccccooooooorrrrrreeeeee!") or the Esks (miss Farlie and BH is full of B*).

Leslie has some good guests...

Love Michelle Bodin's "The Inside Story"!

I'm Bob Layton --- and you're not!

Primeau - the so-called Progressive who mostly isn't

Hot dogs with Halsie!!! --- the greatest hair in radio

I remember when CHED did that terrible trick that someone broke into the station....they got criminal charges laid against them for that......

From what I hear, CHED is still consistently the leading radio station in the area according to the ratings book - certainly not with my help.

Quote Originally Posted by mylilypad
    I remember when CHED did that terrible trick that someone broke into the station....they got criminal charges laid against them for that....
    I remember that too. It was an April Fool's Day prank that went bad in 1979. Edmonton City Police happened to be listening when the DJ did that, and they sent out an ambulance and a bunch of squad cars and surrounded the station. If I remember correctly, all the charges were dropped, but the DJ did have to make a public apology for his actions that day.

Addicted to C2E

I remember a couple other April Fools joke by a CHED DJ...
    Both were in the early 70s:

They were advising people to wrap their telephone receivers
    in plastic bags as Edmonton Telephones was going to be
    blowing the dust out of the phone lines that day.

Just after we went from imperial to metric for temperatures...
    they were telling parents that we're now officially on metric
    time, so to make sure they send their kids to school on time.

Two decades ago CJCA, CHQT, CFRN, and even K-97 had a dedicated news department for their radio stations.
    I grew up listening to CHQT (not my choice, rather I had to listen to what my parents had tuned to). Back then (IIRC) it was CHQT 1110 (Bob Bradburn?) the Authoratative News Voice.

As far as CJCA goes, we were glued to the radio listening to them on Black Friday.

Regarding CHED radio...before K-97 hit the air waves it was THE top pop station. The weekends were devoted to a different year: this weekend is 1971 - and all the hits of that year were played. EVERYONE had those yellow 630 CHED stickers in their vehicle rear windows.

[quote="soycd"]
    Two decades ago CJCA,

Regarding CHED radio...before K-97 hit the air waves it was THE top pop station. The weekends were devoted to a different year: this weekend is 1971 - and all the hits of that year were played. EVERYONE had those yellow 630 CHED stickers in their vehicle rear windows.
    I still have my CHED Charts. Besides the Top 30 of the week, they also had the Top 100 of the year they were featuring.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by microbus
    I remember a couple other April Fools joke by a CHED DJ...
    Both were in the early 70s:

They were advising people to wrap their telephone receivers
    in plastic bags as Edmonton Telephones was going to be
    blowing the dust out of the phone lines that day.

Just after we went from imperial to metric for temperatures...
    they were telling parents that we're now officially on metric
    time, so to make sure they send their kids to school on time.

I remember those!

First One is Always Free

I think most of you are missing the point. Ched was the only rock station for years. Yes K97 came in and took over the FM airwaves and rock was then turned over to the FM dial in the late 70's.
    All the number one DJ's headed for greener pastures and all of them did well.

Radio formatting changed at that time and each radio station did what they had to just to survive the ratings.

Yes, Wes Montgomery and Bob McCord were prominent figures in the industry with Bob starting up Cisn Country and Wes moving on from station to station in search of his calling. It just so happens that he didn't find it until he joined CFCW. Even then his new boss was a well known CHED associate named Al Anderson. Al was also the man that hired Wes on to Mix 96 and at that time it was called something different.

Lets not forget the Forbes boys that got their start at CHED and went on to be very important figures in the radio industry. Their dad was CHED radio for many years and his memory still lives on. Without the great DJ's of CHED radio and the great management behind it, it would never have led this city into some of the greatest stations of all time. So many of these people have won awards in the past few years. It is an honor to have had the great talent in this city that we have had.

And I forgot to mention Bob Layton who was one of the best local news reporters of all time.. The tell it like it is man, is still a hit today. If we could all be heard like he is.

Like I said, most people are missing the point on how radio got started in this city and the devoted people behind the scene that made it all happen.

Was Eddie Keen on CHED,I liked him. I like listening to the hockey games and that's about it;use to listen in the morning but got sick of hearing Gord Whitehead talking about Marlene and the boys,where the boys played hockey the night before and where (and with whom) he would be golfing.Leslie use to have a good show(a few years back) good guests hot topics then the station seemed to reel her in and toned her down.

Radio has quite a history in this town. Remember, that radio broadcasting began in 1920, and some people are still alive who were born before radio even existed.

CJCA and CKUA were the earliest stations in Edmonton, followed by CFRN. CJCA was a dominant rock station in the 60's. When CHED first came on the air it was at 1080 on the dial where it remained for a few years before moving to 630.

CKUA is my favourite station. They went on the air in 1927. The record library there is amazing. Simply put, it's huge, and the on-air personalities really know their stuff. How can you go wrong with someone like Lionel Rault or Terry David Mulligan spinning the discs?
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat
    Terry David Mulligan
    Hey, I remember that guy! He had his own music video show in the mid-80s (on CBC, i think) and then was a MuchMucus VJ in Vancouver.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    Terry David Mulligan
    Hey, I remember that guy! He had his own music video show in the mid-80s (on CBC, i think) and then was a MuchMucus VJ in Vancouver.
    Terry David Mulligan - Steve Anthony - Erica Ehm - Kim Clark Champniss...

the golden era of video, and video television imho.
    City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Video Hits...

Quote Originally Posted by lux
    Terry David Mulligan

Anyone remember "90 Miuntes with a Bullet!" on CBC radio hosted by Jim Millican? It was on Wednesdays at 9 PM in the mid-seventies, and I think it was produced at their Winnipeg studios.

Default Bloggers Wanted

http://www.630ched.com/Blogs/BloggersWanted.aspx

You supply the content – blog, photos/videos of news and events in your neck of the woods – and we’ll supply the venue to make sure your reporting is viewed by as many people as possible.

Drop us an email or send us a link to your blog. Right now, we’re curious to see what’s out there - if we like what we see - you might see it on 630ched.com!

I love the news talk portion of 630 ched, but I turn it off when sports comes on.

Why can't they make a seperate station for sports and make 630 ched all talk radio? That would keep me tuned in at work for the rest of the day.

Charles Antler is a good show, but I wish they would air Roy Greene's show on the week day! I think he's the most level headed personality I have heard so far.

They do have a station for all sports....it's called CRFN 1260 The Team
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

The sport coverage on CHED is what pays the bills.

Regardless, I'm still waiting for an Edmonton-based alternative for Rutherford and Adler.

with all the ads?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Default Hi All,

first time poster

Long time resident of Edmonton, August 1978:

I remember Baydella Drugs when it was a bustling café on the NW corner of Jasper and 104th St. I remember when ETS buses were faded red and yellow and the Yellow Crown Victoria City Police cars. I remember The Beachcombers where Scotia Place is now. I remember the train bridge going over Jasper Ave. I remember when the black LE La Page tower was a gravel parking lot. The “Brown Bagger” in The bay. The Rialto theater, the theater at Meadowlark. I remember Fredel shoes in Edmonton Center. Toys and Wheels (I watched the closing seconds on the Islanders first Stanley Cup win.) I remember when the number #1 bus was actually the #10. I remember, Hobbit’s Fantasy Shop, The gas station by Sandy lane strip mall before it became Petro Can. I remember when. Jasper Gates Square was just a London drugs on the South Side of the Square and Safeway in it’s current location. I used to deliver the Edmonton Journal at 4pm in the afternoon. They went to morning delivery in 1984. I remember the Marshall Wells building, the old Greyhound bus depot. I remember when the North side of Stony Plain Road from 101st to Cross town mortars was the rail yard sheds. I remember when Jasper Ave from 109th to about 99th st was wall to wall shoppers.

Default 630 CHED - lowest common denominator radio

Thanks, CHED, for the most absolutely stupid and childish news headline seen on your website.

http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?id=1014306

BANG, BANG ... welcome to downtown Edm
    5:25AM
    EDMONTON/630 CHED
    6/30/2008

Bullets whizzing through the night air east of downtown.

Someone fired two shots through the window of a suspected drug house near 112th Avenue and 95th Street. It happened just after 1:30 this morning. No one was injured.

Police say they don't have much to go on in their search for a suspect as the people in the house are being very un-cooperative. (RW, ccg)
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

112th Ave and 95th Street?

Hardly downtown /sigh. Inner City, yeah, but not really what I (nor most downtown dwellers) true downtown.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

1) That's inner city, not downtown

2) CHED gets its' audience from the same shallow pool that the Sun does.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post

When our Mayor, and people on this board, claim that 142 st and SPR is downtown, we shouldn't be surpirsed that downtown includes 112 and 95 as well. We can't just "pick and choose" the nice neighborhoods to include in downtown... lets include Oliver and Glenora but not McCauley... or can we?

^ I've always said the VFTC was inner city.

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ I've always said the VFTC was inner city.
    Our mayor said it was part of a growing downtown... CHED is just following his lead...
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-06-2008 at 09:14 AM.

I like how they said "East" of downtown.

I'd call it "North", or "Northeast"... but it's not really "East".

I am enjoying how VFTC is being brought up here. Well played.

Addicted to C2E

I heard those shots too. But then I live only 6 or 7 blocks away *shocked look*
    Yay, summertime!

Regardless if 112 Ave/95 St is considered downtown or not, playing the "downtown is dangerous" card in this case is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by microbus View Post
    I heard those shots too. But then I live only 6 or 7 blocks away *shocked look*
    "6 or 7" blocks away, huh?

I see some holes in your alibi. I'm turning you in!

There always seems to be lots of confusion about what's downtown, inner city etc. here in Edmonton. I drew this handy little map for a customer in Vancouver:

Red= downtown
    yellow = CBD
    blue = government
    grey = innercity

Back to the topic at hand, really the lazy CHED reporter (who probably lives nowhere near downtown) just spun up the easiest, most inflammatory headline he could. Too bad it happened in my 'hood... If the neighbors knew it was a drug house they should have done something about it long before shots were fired in our neighborhood.

I actually live REALLY close to 95th St and 112th Ave (the gunfire woke me up and scared the crap outta me), but I don't recall seeing any obvious homes that fit that address that look too dodgy from the outside. I didn't suspect anything, myself, anyway.

^ I can't think of an obvious drug house there either. (I'm a little further away but still know the area) That block has cleaned up a lot since slumlord, rip-off artist and serial scumbag Carmen Pervez went to jail for fraud and his three properties close there were bulldozed.

Mr. Oilers, if you get the adress let me know & I can mobilize some troops & maybe sic the CAP folks on the landlord & make his or her life a little unpleasant until they correct the situation.

really the lazy CHED reporter (who probably lives nowhere near downtown) just spun up the easiest, most inflammatory headline he could.

Kinda like they do whenever something happens in SE Edmonton and they automatically tag it with "Millwoods". Cheap and easy headlines, so sad to see and yet so common
    Last edited by RichardS; 01-07-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags for formatting
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    I am enjoying how VFTC is being brought up here. Well played.
    I was really just making a point that people define downtown to suit their personal preferences. Oliver for example, often gets included, but the North edge up to 107 avenue, which is just as close, often does not. I think a lot of that has to do with bias regarding the relative attractiveness of the neighborhoods.

IMO neither Oliver or much of the north edge is part of downtown. Maybe inner city neighborhoods they are. But unless there is some uniformity as to what downtown is, I don't think we should be "upset" when someone defines it differently to what we imagine it to be.
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-06-2008 at 10:43 AM.

Based on 240GLT's map, I'm sure the fine folk in Windsor Park were surprised to find out that they now live in the inner city!
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonfan View Post
    Based on 240GLT's map, I'm sure the fine folk in Windsor Park were surprised to find out that they now live in the inner city!
    WHAT???? I live in the inner city now? Time to move... haha, just kidding. If Windsor Park is what inner city is made of, I'm happy to be considered an inner city resident.

What a stupid, stupid headline. If a headline is to grab a reader's attention, it sure did. But it is misleading. Just by reading the headline, the perception is there were gunshots in the downtown core. But actually the gunplay is more near Commonwealth than City Hall.

Not only that, but the headline makes it seem like gun crime is a common occurrence in downtown.

It is time for Bob Layton to step aside. Edmonton has outgrown him. The city cannot move forward with Bob's antiquated views invading the airwaves.

Stupid headline, stupid radio station, stupid listeners.

Most of the staff are well past their prime (some should have been turned into glue years ago).

Do what I do, try not to listen (unless it's the 1 minute hardly audible traffic report)
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Mr. Oilers, if you get the adress let me know & I can mobilize some troops & maybe sic the CAP folks on the landlord & make his or her life a little unpleasant until they correct the situation.
    I walked around a few of those blocks at lunch time and I can't figure out which house it would've been

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post

Most of the staff are well past their prime (some should have been turned into glue years ago).

Do what I do, try not to listen (unless it's the 1 minute hardly audible traffic report)
    Yep.

I find CBC Radio much much better as far as news go. Not only do they reoprt news on stuff CHED would never report on (i.e. "this band is playing here, this arts show is tonight, here - listen to a local musician); doesn't have any commercials and is quite funny.. Although, I have not heard Peter Brown in ages, and have no idea where he went ...

Also, CBC is right downtown; and they are very pro-downtown as well... I hear so much stuff regarding promotion of the green attitude, increasing density, urban renewal etc.

Regardless if your political leanings, the mainstay shows (i.e. morning, drive home) are usually quite central. They also have a heavy focus on global news as well.

Might as well listen to it, you pay for it !

via e-mail to [email protected]

Dear 630 news department,

I'd just like to air my disappointment with your sensational and obviously ill thought out headline for your news clip regarding the early morning shooting north-east of downtown.

True, the writer took the path of least resistance and lazily threw together a tag line that insinuates that "downtown is dangerous", Which of course is something we hear your "news" service trumpeting on regular occasions. We cannot blame the lazy writer for towing the CHED line of shoddy reporting.

Investigation and reporting facts are the backbone of journalism. Sensational and emotional tag lines in articles such as yours sways public opinion, regardless of whether the impressions left by the article are true. You owe greater respect to our city than you show by propagating this type of misinformation.

Here is a link to a forum where Edmontonians are discussing your headline:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=7703

Regards

Chris Wagner

Edmonton.

What happened? It got changed!

Police investigate reports of shooting
    5:25AM
    EDMONTON/630 CHED
    6/30/2008

Bullets whizzing through the night air to the east of downtown.

Someone fired two shots through the window of a suspected drug house near 112th Avenue and 95th Street. It happened just after 1:30 this morning. No one was injured.

Police say they don't have much to go on in their search for a suspect as the people in the house are being very un-cooperative. (RW, ccg)
    http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?id=1014306

/\ good on them

Good letter Chris. Good on CHED for changing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Foster View Post

Yep.

I find CBC Radio much much better as far as news go. Not only do they reoprt news on stuff CHED would never report on (i.e. "this band is playing here, this arts show is tonight, here - listen to a local musician); doesn't have any commercials and is quite funny.. Although, I have not heard Peter Brown in ages, and have no idea where he went ...

As an aside, Peter Brown is very much here. He's producing a national summer show for CBC called "The Irrelevant Show" - sort-of improv comedy (Mark Meer, Donovan Workun, and many others) being recorded every Sunday evening at the Varscona. It's on Thursday nights at 7:30 and Saturday mornings at 11:00 on CBC Radio One. Peter will be back with RadioActive later this summer.

Now back to the stupidity of CHED....
    Almost always open to debate...

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers
    "6 or 7" blocks away, huh?

I see some holes in your alibi. I'm turning you in!
    But you promised! lol
    Yay, summertime!

Discussed this before, Edmonton news is not written well from newspaper journalism to TV news (generally speaking). There are great journalists out there but the general media in the city could be improved.
    Last edited by Denizen; 01-07-2008 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post

Yep.

As an aside, Peter Brown is very much here. He's producing a national summer show for CBC called "The Irrelevant Show" - sort-of improv comedy (Mark Meer, Donovan Workun, and many others) being recorded every Sunday evening at the Varscona. It's on Thursday nights at 7:30 and Saturday mornings at 11:00 on CBC Radio One. Peter will be back with RadioActive later this summer.

Now back to the stupidity of CHED....
    ah, yes now I remember hearing him talk about this. Thanks for jogging my memory Phew..

Also, CBC is right downtown; and they are very pro-downtown as well... I hear so much stuff regarding promotion of the green attitude, increasing density, urban renewal etc.

Regardless if your political leanings, the mainstay shows (i.e. morning, drive home) are usually quite central. They also have a heavy focus on global news as well.

I used to listen to Radio One all day, every day, and still do sometimes. I like it, but I strongly disagree that the mainstay shows are "central" politically. Ron Wilson (and his producer/engineer) went way too far in the second last Provincial Election, and turned me off his show forever. They did things like speed up Conservative ads to make them sound wierd, and made comments before and after they aired.

The other shows were fine though, as you say. I love CBC Radio 1, and was upset that Wilson used my radio station as his personal political tool. And, in the larger picture, the CBC as a whole has been slipping for years as far as impartiality is concerned. "Cabals within cabals" as Mike Duffy put it. They should do away with the CBC logo during TV newscasts, go ahead and use the Liberal logo, and the budget should be considered a Liberal campaign contribution. And Peter Mansbridge must be upset the Liberals aren't running the show right now - there goes that Senate appointment.

Of course CHED, which I'd consider on the other side of the political spectrum, is even worse, but I don't pay for it.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

You're sure to like this piece, in the Sun. It's amazing how their coverage of Canada Day is all about a riot that happened 7 years ago under circumstances that will not be duplicated this year.

http://edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton...90266-sun.html

POLICE READY FOR CANADA DAY
    by FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU

Cops will be out in full force this Canada Day keeping a close tabs on the festivities.

"From the police standpoint, we've done a lot of work this year to prepare our plans for all kinds of contingencies," said Edmonton Police Service Insp. Neil Dubord, adding officers will be concentrated on Whyte Avenue, Jasper Avenue and the legislature grounds.

"We have sufficient resources to be able to manage any kind of event that should occur on Canada Day."

Dubord asked Edmontonians to enjoy the holiday - which falls on Tuesday - but to do so in a responsible way.

"It isn't the party; it's how we party. That's always the important piece."

It's been seven years since the infamous Canada Day riot on Whyte Avenue, when some 2,000 partiers-turned-rioters took on cops along the trendy south-side street. They caused $165,000 in damage. Seven police officers were injured during the melee.

"I want to emphasize the word responsible," Coun. Tony Caterina told a news conference. "This is a family event in all locations."

I think the SUN keeps praying for another Canada Day riot so they have something to write about. Sensationalistic stories about potholes, taxes, guns, gangstas, hookers, strippers and Waugh's fishing only takes them so far.

I once worked for that rag. It was the general consensus that if the advertising content was in excess of 70%, then it was deemed, "a 'good' paper tonight." I suspect little has changed.

As for 630 CHED, I think it's fairly described as Redneck Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by glenorarat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lux
    Terry David Mulligan

Anyone remember "90 Miuntes with a Bullet!" on CBC radio hosted by Jim Millican? It was on Wednesdays at 9 PM in the mid-seventies, and I think it was produced at their Winnipeg studios.
    The ''90 Minutes With A Bullet'' I remember was definitely on CBC radio in 1977 here in Edmonton. It was a top 20 or 30 type countdown show. It was hosted by Terry David Mulligan. What a time to have been alive. The music of that decade was in my opinion theeeeeeeeee best!! Would like to know if anyone still has their tinny sounding radio tapes they made during that era. Sadly, mine were all recorded over. I thought that fabulous musical style [top 40 pop] would keep on coming forever. By 1982 it was all over for me as synth's began to dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by lux View Post

Ah yes, Much in the 80s.
    There was JD Roberts and his mullet, who is now a CNN anchor.
    Steve Anthony as a lovable goofball, and Erica Ehm as a down-to-earth fashionista.
    There was this fat guy with his own bizarre game show where contestants were spun inside the 'wheel of fortune'.
    Terry David Mulligan doing MuchWest.
    And most importantly, I remember when music video channels actually played music videos! Astounding concept, eh?

My memories of CHED were Bruce Bowie's morning show, and then Rob Christie after that. Christie had Janet From Another Planet as his sidekick, then Audie Lynds - it was there when they cooked up characters like Captain Eyeliner.

^ It's funny how a lot of the CHED alumni are still here. Rob & Audie, Jungle Jay and Keith James at Capital. Bruce Bowie at CISN. Off the air, Janet From Another Planet is now the Sales Manager at the Bear and EZ Rock and Len Theusen is in sales there too.

I wonder if anyone appreciates just how much of a monster CHED was in the late 60s through to the mid to late 80s? At its peak, it had an audience share of over 40%. (Today, the market leader in Edmonton is between 10 and 12 percent and it's a close race. It wasn't then.) It's weekly audience was over half a million people, more than the population of the city at the time. Yes there were fewer radio stations then and FM was just catching on, but that was the case everywhere, not just Edmonton.

During its run in the 70s, it had the highest audience share of any top 40 radio station on the continent and one of the highest audience shares of any radio station in a competitive market. This was before the internet, so program directors would fly in from radio stations like CKLW in Windsor/Detroit (a legend in itself, with its signal over the Great Lakes, the biggest station in North America), CHUM in Toronto and KLIF in Dallas to listen to what made CHED so special.

Even after K-97 launched, CHED hung on and was number one (now with shares in the mid to high teens) until the late 1980s. CHED's time as a top 40 station is a big piece of Edmonton's media heritage.
    Last edited by PJC; 19-01-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Dear CHED,

Why is it that half of the news items posted in the Local/Edmonton section of your website are Calgary stories? Maybe you should consider an Alberta section and reserve the local section for actual local news.

Thanks.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Ched is still my favorite radio station. I listen to it every night. Does anyone know what Edmonton street/ave Ched was located on in the mid 1970's?

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Ched is still my favorite radio station. I listen to it every night. Does anyone know what Edmonton street/ave Ched was located on in the mid 1970's?

I'm vaguely remembering that it was located in the southeast somewhere, maybe on the road leading out to Millwoods or Beaumont. Like I say, that's a vague recollection.

CHED was on 107th St, just north of 100th Ave in the 70s. It was in the basement of a building immediately south of where the building Il Portico was in stands now.

It then moved to 5204 - 84th Street in 1983. It's still there today along with Joe, CISN and I News 880.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Overoceans> Thanks for the reply.

@ Mercucio. Thanks for that. Is this the 11 Portioc location by the Wildflower?

^ Across the street from Wildflower yes. The CHED building was torn down and it was located where the Il Portico patio was and the bit of grass between the buiding and the gravel parking lot.

Of course now its located off Roper Road... the streetview is one of Edmonton's more interesting ones
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...37.03,,0,19.03

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Odd, I always associated Ched as being beside the Embers across the street from the Ambassador. I know this is off topic but does anyone remember what was located across the street from the Ambasador/Days Inn in the 1970's?
    Last edited by envaneo; 18-05-2010 at 01:04 AM.

Top_Dawg recalls CHED being on either 107 or 108 Streets between Jasper and 100 Ave.

There was a old two storey flop house / flea bag hotel across the street from the Ambassador.

Top_Dawg was sixteen years young when one of the poodles from the hooker stroll in the area dragged him into one of the rooms.

He felt so used and violated.

Sought counselling for years.

.............. no doubt still grinning though

Funny you should mention that blueps.

To this day Ma&Pa_Dawg don't know why Top_Dawg went that entire summer with a **** eating grin tattooed on his snout.

Alas, he never did spot that poodle working 100 Ave again.

Top_Dawg's brain never turned into swiss cheese so she couldn't have been dosed up.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks guys. Weird because I'd pass by that way all the time to get to the Hobbit Shop and its like a blur. The only guy that's been in the area longer then Audrey's books is Jack at M'Lords. I'd love to get a photo of the area looking South down 106th Street in the 1970's. I checked out the City archives and there's nothing there. Thanks

Used to be a B. F. Goodrich Tire and Auto Service on 106th and Jasper where the east end of First Edmonton Place sits today.

Then that flea bagger.

Then Top_Dawg remembers a gravel lot before hitting Cafe Select and what now is the Jacobs building.

Top_Dawg vaguely remembers Hobbit Shop but he just can't place it right now.

And what the heck is M'Lords ?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I thought 7 Seas the Chinese place was where First Edmonton Place is. I don't remember B.F. Goodrich

I recall a dive of a hotel that sat near the A&W drive in on 109th. I used to stay there on a few occasions. Can't recall the name.

the Hobbit Shop or more specifically was called Hobbits Fantasy shop. It was above the Embers. Hobbits was one of the original hangouts for Comic books Sci-Fi books and wargames.

Maybe it isn't M'Lords but it's a barbershop on the main floor of the Baker Center building behind the Pharmacy

I remember back in the day when CHED was the best top 40 station in Alberta If you were heading home from a holiday in the states you could get CHEDS signal just north of Calgary and you knew that you were on the home stretch to your own bed after sleeping in a tent trailer with your mom and dad for three weeks in every godforsaken redneck town in either Montana, Utah, or Idaho.

A couple of blasts from the pasts from 1980 that always reminds me of how good CHED was for the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU5t3...2Bdiv-1r-14-HM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmSvmvkECXQ

In regards to ELO the video is sooo scary with the makeup,hair and the incredibly tight pants...... WHAT WERE WE THINKING!!!!!!
    Last edited by NielCole; 08-08-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I actually live REALLY close to 95th St and 112th Ave (the gunfire woke me up and scared the crap outta me), but I don't recall seeing any obvious homes that fit that address that look too dodgy from the outside. I didn't suspect anything, myself, anyway.
    i used to live in Hy's Center by the Royal Alex in the early 90's, and never really saw much or heard of much going on around me. the usual fights on saturday night in the parking lot with the drunks and hospital security, had my van broken into when they tried to steal my stereo, it was parked on the street.....never really knew of anything really bad going on in the hood at the time, even when i got me a police scanner.
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Default Shuffling of radio personalities

Another big voice in Edmonton Radio hangs it up on Sept 01. Gord Whitehead is retiring after a huge 30+ years on both Ched and CJCA.
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/colu.../15098406.html
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

So is this his 3rd retirement announcement? Sorta like Barbra Streisand and Brent Farvre?

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    So is this his 3rd retirement announcement? Sorta like Barbra Streisand and Brent Farvre?
    No. He's done if you read the article
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    I remember back in the day when CHED was the best top 40 station in Alberta If you were heading home from a holiday in the states you could get CHEDS signal just north of Calgary and you knew that you were on the home stretch to your own bed after sleeping in a tent trailer with your mom and dad for three weeks in every godforsaken redneck town in either Montana, Utah, or Idaho.

In 1982, doing field work in the very south of the province, we could hear a very faint CHED signal from Milk River, right where it crosses into the US. And once you got to the Manyberries/Medicine hat radius, CHED was coming through right well enough. By Calgary it sounded almost local.

I never knew whether this was a result of specially good radio equioment on the 1980 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 we had (maybe all the heavy metal received somehow?), or whether CHED had a directional signal. CFRN, for example, though nominally brodcasting at the same 50,000 W power, didn't really come in until Olds or even Innisfail -- at the very outside.

Or maybe there was particular skip those years. Who knows! But boy they played Kim Wilde and Survivor a lot.

or 630 ched has re-broadcast towers around the province.

Gord Whitehead retiring? Meh. I never was particularly interested in what he got up to on weekends. He too often sounded a bit 'puffed up' with minor degrees of indignation and petulance thrown in. Come to think of it, those qualities almost seem to be a requirement of CHED blowers in general.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast