Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 630 CHED

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yup Gord is gone,as is a few of the regulars on his program. From Graham Hicks column [ Sept 1 ].

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • While Gord leaves with accolades, CHED has been abuzz with rumours that two well-known, respected radio personalities, Kris Burkholder and C.R. Nichols, will no longer be on air. Also believed departing is morning weatherman Wayne Miskolczi.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Surely , not everyone was Kung Fu fighting.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Isn't Burkholder on mat leave?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

In Guantanamo (Banned)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wishes CHED had stayed top-40, on balance, even if that means today they'd be playing Jay-C, Bieber, Gaga, and the rest.

Actually when the old incarnation of CJCA folded, the whole crew seemed to migrate to CHED. Except that they became even more windbag in-your-face angry white conservative old men.

A shame.

Meanwhile, in CHED’s fall lineup, three shows are merging. The Bryan Hall Show (3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.), The Afternoon News (4:30 to 6 p.m.) and the Leslie Primeau Show (6 to 8 p.m.) are being folded into the 630 CHED Afternoon News from 3 to 6 p.m. still with Hall, Primeau and new co-host Edmonton comedian Andrew Grose. Is Hallsy, an amazingly young 77, slowly being sidelined?

Dan Tencer’s Inside Sports talk show moves up to the 6 to 9 p.m. slot and a new late-night talk show with Calgary host Rob Breakenridge surfaces from 9 to 11 p.m.

Question: Why will Edmonton’s No. 1 news, talk and sports station now have two “hard news” talk shows originating from Calgary (Dave Rutherford in the mornings, Breakenridge in late evening) but none originating out of Edmonton?

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/colu.../15204871.html
    I agree with Hicks. Ever since Ron Collister left the morning time slot, the only Edmonton-based talk show host is Lesley Primeau. Is that the best we can do?

I was big into CHED for a bit, finding that I agreed with a lot of the topics on Rutherford and Adler. Then there were some topics that ****** me off, and by that point the insane amount of ads was driving me up the wall, so I'm back to music in the morning, and Ellis on Sirius/XM Faction in the afternoons.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

To me Adler tries too hard to be controversial, his continual turning a persons statement into questions gets annoying after a while. He has the talent to be a serious host, but sure doesn't seem to want to either put the effort or just wants to have fun.

As for Rutherford, he is too one sided for me to listen to for long, I'm a conservative and I disagreed with Ralph many times, I disagree with Stelmach too on some issues, Rutherford seems to go the party line regardless of it making sense or not.

I think most of what Corus is doing is to reduce costs, by reducing the programming. Personally I think they should broadcast Jon McComb from CKNW, I've always enjoyed his shows when he 1st was on CHED when they changed format from music or now just CKNW.

Between Brian Hall and Lesley Primo taking up so much airtime now, the ship is sinking fast...

Rutherford makes for interesting topic coversation, especially since it's scheduled in the mornings which makes it a perfect platform to discuss the days hot new unfolding events.

Adler is a bore by comparison. I tune out to other FM music radio in the afternoons.

Same with the afternoon drivetime show. I'd rather tune into inews880 and get the highlights, then switch back over to music right afterwards. Brian Hall is a sports legacy himself, but is a mediocre radio announcer these days. I would have expected him to retire LONG before Gord...

I don't agree with the move of inside sports to the 6pm to 9pm slot. I'll listen to it a lot less often this way. I guess it will coincide with oilers broadcasts better this way.

Breakenridge is just annoying. Not interested in listening to it. Don't like that it's on from 9pm to 11pm instead of inside sports. More fm music instead I guess.

The old radio shows just aren't my cup of tea. If anything, these should be moved to the overnight hours, or another station entirely that would be better suited to the genre.

And coast to coast am, just another reason of many to tune away from 630 during the dark hours. This program is truely a waste of airtime. I sure hope ched actually gets PAID to carry it.

On another note, the Inside Story programs are TOP SHELF. Same with Cop Talk. Good, wholesome, and FUN radio.

The infomercials hosted by everyone's less than favorite political and commercial BUY YOUR OWN RADIO ANNOUNCER Lesley Primo is the absolute rock bottom for the station. She's worse than Brian Hall these days; I can handle him hawking Tony Romas and Sorrentinos because I like those places too, and I share a lot of the sports, political and news event views he has. Primo, on the other hand, seems to be scraping the barrel for every bit of advertising revenue she can get, and has polar opposite views to myself on just about everything she discusses. (city center airport, *ahem*) I view Primo as an albatross around the neck of 630 ched.
    Last edited by blainehamilton; 02-09-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Rutherford is the best talk show on the station.

Meanwhile, in CHED’s fall lineup, three shows are merging. The Bryan Hall Show (3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.), The Afternoon News (4:30 to 6 p.m.) and the Leslie Primeau Show (6 to 8 p.m.) are being folded into the 630 CHED Afternoon News from 3 to 6 p.m. still with Hall, Primeau and new co-host Edmonton comedian Andrew Grose. Is Hallsy, an amazingly young 77, slowly being sidelined?

Dan Tencer’s Inside Sports talk show moves up to the 6 to 9 p.m. slot and a new late-night talk show with Calgary host Rob Breakenridge surfaces from 9 to 11 p.m.

Question: Why will Edmonton’s No. 1 news, talk and sports station now have two “hard news” talk shows originating from Calgary (Dave Rutherford in the mornings, Breakenridge in late evening) but none originating out of Edmonton?

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/colu.../15204871.html
    Three weeks ago the Alberta Primetime (Access TV) Friday night panel had regular Michael Phair with Dave Rutherford and Rob Breakenridge. The topic was about Danielle Smith signing the Envision petition. Phair said Smith should stay out of Edmonton's issue while the other two believed she (as leader of a party) had every right to voice her opinion on the downtown airport.

It was hard to stomach watching Phair gets piled-on by the two Calgary personalities, especially with Rutherford hogging the airtime.

That is a taste of what you will hear on 630 CHED with two Calgary radio hosts anchoring the daily programming. Edmonton will be more poorly represented on these current affairs shows.

Rumored CHED cuts seem to be confirmed:
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/colu.../15218051.html
    Farewell to C.R. and Kris

How do you explain the abrupt departure of two of Edmonton’s most enduring radio personalities from the Corus Entertainment CHED/CISN/JOE/iNews group, at the very same time as CHED morning man Gord Whitehead retired in a blaze of glory?

Cost-cutting, of course. And timing. Like so many media companies, Corus is in non-stop belt-tightening mode, given the ferocious radio competition.
    Plus there’s the irony of the Alberta advantage. National companies are squeezing as much cash as possible out of Alberta divisions to shore up the overall bottom line.

Newsman and whimsical on-air personality C.R. Nichols, at CHED for more than 30 years, and most recently on JOE-FM, was deemed expendable on that station. He was offered other on-air opportunities (I’m told), but chose, in his early 60s, to take a package.

Kris Burkholder, for many, many years on the CHED morning show with Whitehead and Bryan Hall, recently went into the helicopter as a morning traffic reporter in some kind of deal between Corus and helicopter owner Canadian Traffic Network (CTN). Every time you hear a helicopter traffic report in this town, no matter the station, the report is from a CTN helicopter.
    CTN was “going in a different direction,” i.e. replacing a veteran with a rookie with no experience but half the salary.

CHED’s freelance morning weatherman Wayne Miskolczi is gone ... CTV Edmonton weatherman Josh Classen, doing iNews 880’s weather reports, is a fresh voice for CHED, and a more economical proposition.
    What Hicks failed to mention is that Burkholder was on mat leave.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

The old radio shows just aren't my cup of tea. If anything, these should be moved to the overnight hours, or another station entirely that would be better suited to the genre.
    Really? Like which genre would that be? At 43, I love these programs because they are not the nauseatingly simliar talk crap Ched has all day long. They're what I would call imaginative and fun radio. Cop talk and the inside story fun??? LMAO

And coast to coast am, just another reason of many to tune away from 630 during the dark hours. This program is truly a waste of airtime. I sure hope ched actually gets PAID to carry it. If your asleep, you have nothing to complain about.Besides, there is always the all news stations for you.
    I drive at night and rather enjoy the differing ideas presented on Coast to Coast.A waste to those who are too closed minded to listen and perhaps learn from it. Perhaps CBC (Government funded
    radio)is more your style. Serious serious serious....... The only bastion of good radio in this city died when CJCA and 880 were destroyed and morphed into 2 more all yack/ talk news stations. Just what we need. More depressing audiological garbage. Radio has degenerated into a wasteland of audible diarrhoea in this city for which no end is near.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

When I worked 12-hour nights, the evening and overnight CHED shows were my staple. I could stay awake far better with them than the pop/pap music stations.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I remember 630 ched back in the day. It was the best radio station in Edmonton even for an AM station.

I remember someone telling me years ago that Jungle Jay was fired over an April Fool's prank gone wrong. Apparently it involved Jungle Jay hosting his show at night, and someone breaking into his radio room and blowing him away with a gun.

A listener, concerned, called 911 and the police responded, only to find out the whole thing was a joke for April Fools. After that Jungle jay got fired.

Is this true?

^ Not true. That was Rob Christie in the late 1970s, after he'd returned to CHED from CKGM in Montreal. The stunt was originally done about three years earlier by Mike Cooper at 1050 CHUM in Toronto. Mike Cooper DID get fired for it (and ironically wound up working at CKGM with Rob as a result). When Christie did the stunt? He got promoted to afternoon drive on CHED from weekends shortly after.

Rob Christie.

Left Edmonton for the greener pastures of Toronto, when I was living in Vancouver he was on air there. and now he's back here the boy definitely got around. LOL

Talking of radio back in the day, which station was it that operated from that little 1950's style pink house set back off Ellerslie Road on the north side a little east of Hwy. 2 (as I believe it was still called at that time)?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

In Guantanamo (Banned)

^Um, you mean by the Jesus elevator? BTW, I still call it Hwy. 2 most of the time. It IS still provincial route 2. (Did you know it was route 1 before WW2, and the banff-calgary-medicine hat road hwy 1??)

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Talking of radio back in the day, which station was it that operated from that little 1950's style pink house set back off Ellerslie Road on the north side a little east of Hwy. 2 (as I believe it was still called at that time)?
    Was that not a CFCW retransmitting station since at the time CFCW operated at a lower wattage and for city listeners they needed that extra tower. My dad listened to them all the time. I hated country back then all that old school Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty, Patsy Cline stuff about how your pickup died your wife ran away and your dog left you LOL

Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    ^Um, you mean by the Jesus elevator? BTW, I still call it Hwy. 2 most of the time. It IS still provincial route 2. (Did you know it was route 1 before WW2, and the banff-calgary-medicine hat road hwy 1??)
    Yeah once the Trans-Canada Highway was totally completed in 1962 and usurped Route 1 designation nationwide they had to rejig the provincial numbers around.
    Also as an interesting side note. during WWII the Alaska highway while underconstruction technically started at the south end of the highlevel bridge,
    In various Illustrated Edmonton history books there is a photo of a couple of US army guys in a jeep posing for a photo in the dead of Winter and a big ol sign stating the Start of the Alaska Highway.
    Last edited by NielCole; 10-09-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Yeah once the Trans-Canada Highway was totally completed in 1962 and usurped Route 1 designation nationwide they had to rejig the provincial numbers around.
    Also as an interesting side note. during WWII the Alaska highway while underconstruction technically started at the south end of the highlevel bridge,
    In various Illustrated Edmonton history books there is a photo of a couple of US army guys in a jeep posing for a photo in the dead of Winter and a big ol sign stating the Start of the Alaska Highway.
    And this has WHAT to do with CHED?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    And this has WHAT to do with CHED?
    point taken and you have never ever gone off topic?

Partially Addicted to C2E

I stopped listening when they went disco in '77.

3 reasons I listen to Ched. The 7:15 weather,The Old radio Shows and Coast to Coast. The rest is wayyyyy too serious to take that way.

...or was it 76'?

I always dread reading the morning news on CHED's website. Ed Mason needs to be put out to pasture.

I used to listen to CHED on the way to work. I started counting how many times I heard the word "Calgary" during my 1/2 hour commute. 10 times was enough for me to stop listening. Are Calgarians bombarded with news from Edmonton 10 times in their 1st 1/2 hour of the day?

Blaine I agree, when Talk to the (so called) Experts comes on I either tune to a different station or do something else when driving, it is a waste of my time.

As for traffic reports Burkholder was better, the new people have no concept that Anthony Henday goes (almost) around the city so when you say there is an accident on AHD and Yellowhead (or Whitemud or 66th Street) it does people absolutely no good at all. Routinely they get left and right wrong as well on traffic reports.

CHED radio, home to the Wild Rose radio show from 9am til noon!
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by jizzaldo View Post
    I used to listen to CHED on the way to work. I started counting how many times I heard the word "Calgary" during my 1/2 hour commute. 10 times was enough for me to stop listening. Are Calgarians bombarded with news from Edmonton 10 times in their 1st 1/2 hour of the day?
    Yes.

In fact, on weekend evenings, the hourly news on QR77 originates from Edmonton as the "Corus Alberta News". I kid you not.

CBC Radio One has a better product during the morning and afternoon rush hour.

There hasn't been a good talk show in this city since CJCA had Ron Collister and the Bill and Bill show. Even the 3 hour gardening show with Stan Thompson called what's up was replaced with a glorified 3 hour commercial for Greenland garden centres. Ched is a commercial joke.

I always thought of Ron Collister as a nice enough bloke but a bit puffed up. Bill and Bill were fun. The station had a nicer, gentler, homey feel about it then. Far better than some of the hard-nosed, opinionated beggars on there now. Rutherford makes my skin crawl.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I think Stan was getting a little long on the tooth and the show was deteriorating a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    I think Stan was getting a little long on the tooth and the show was deteriorating a bit.
    His departure from the air was very sudden.And for those who had listened for years, the method by which it happened was very low class. Hence why Ched is off my radio.

They probably used the term "let go". Boy, I love that oh-so-popular euphemism. (note the sarcasm).
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    They probably used the term "let go". Boy, I love that oh-so-popular euphemism. (note the sarcasm).
    He was a very intelligent well liked individual. I met him,and for Ched to give him the treatment they did shows the lack of respect for his knowledge and efforts.With all the verbal diarrhea on that station, I chant be bothered to ever again listen in. We need a far better station back on AM instead of this all day political melodrama we hear now.

^ They're off my dial, also.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

If it wasn't for CHED's Oilers radio rights, 630 am would not be programmed on my radio dial.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    If it wasn't for CHED's Oilers radio rights, 630 am would not be programmed on my radio dial.
    When Rod Phillips retired, I gave up that broadcast as well. Jack Micheals has nothing on Rockin Rod.

Dave Rutherford is retiring from radio. We can only wonder what opportunity awaits..

Times they are a changin on The Rutherford Show. After 20 yrs the number one Alberta talk show is retiring. Dave is not, opportunity awaits

https://twitter.com/RutherfordShow

Dave Rutherford is retiring from radio. We can only wonder what opportunity awaits..

Times they are a changin on The Rutherford Show. After 20 yrs the number one Alberta talk show is retiring. Dave is not, opportunity awaits

https://twitter.com/RutherfordShow
    Considering the water he carried for Harper, surely that Senate seat awaits!!!

But wait, does this mean a real balanced host might actually take over? Does this mean the Wildrose has lost their main conduit to the airwaves?

No. Expect moreof the same.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^ Ezra Levant takes over...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

^ He might as well . . . who'd notice the difference?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    When Rod Phillips retired, I gave up that broadcast as well. Jack Micheals has nothing on Rockin Rod.
    Jack Michaels = the Oilers version of Bryan Hall. Too concerned with his own agenda to accurately call the game.

Default New local show in 630CHED coming soon to replace Rutherford...

As some of you may have heard, Dave Rutherford was permanently booted from his timeslot before his scheduled final show on 630CHED (and QR77 in Calgary) after this incident relating to the Southern Alberta floods...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...831/story.html

In the above article, it does mention that both CHED and QR will be getting SEPARATE shows to replace the Rutherford show ie) meaning that there will be less Calgary content on CHED in the near future.

Good that there will be an Edmonton-based show at the 9am-noon time slot on CHED. Three weeks ago, Dan Tencer and J'lyn Nye hosted the show when Rutherford was on holidays (Rob Breakenridge hosted for Calgary's station).

It was refreshing listening to them talk about Edmonton issues including interviewing Kerry Diotte and Mayor Mandel.

http://www.630ched.com/630-CHED-Anno...ir-Lineup.aspx

630 CHED Announces New Weekday On-Air Lineup

(July 26, 2013 – Edmonton, Canada) Corus Radio Edmonton’s 630 CHED announced today two new programs in key timeslots beginning Monday, August 19, 2013.

Dan Tencer and Andrew Grose will host Tencer and Grose, weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Dan is a talented and versatile broadcaster who, in addition to hosting Edmonton Oilers hockey broadcasts, has been a featured guest host on the 630 CHED Morning News and other talk shows over the past several years. Andrew has been entertaining Canadians for years as one of this country’s most successful stand-up comedians. For the past three years, Andrew has also been co-host of the 630 CHED Afternoon News.

J’lyn Nye and Mark Scholz will host The 630 CHED Afternoon News weekdays from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Following a distinguished television career, J’lyn has spent the last several years entertaining and informing listeners on Corus Radio stations CISN COUNTRY 103.9 and The New 92.5 Fresh FM. Mark is known as one of Edmonton’s top emcees and community boosters. An accomplished musician, Mark first caught the attention of Edmontonians with a number of television and radio assignments.

“Both shows will bring a fresh, new approach to delivering breaking news coverage,” said Garry McKenzie, General Manager, Corus Radio Alberta and Winnipeg. “With these programs, we are committed to delivering engaging, entertaining conversation on issues and topics of relevance to Edmontonians.”

Lesley Primeau is gone from CHED

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    http://www.630ched.com/630-CHED-Anno...ir-Lineup.aspx

630 CHED Announces New Weekday On-Air Lineup

(July 26, 2013 – Edmonton, Canada) Corus Radio Edmonton’s 630 CHED announced today two new programs in key timeslots beginning Monday, August 19, 2013.

Dan Tencer and Andrew Grose will host Tencer and Grose, weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon. Dan is a talented and versatile broadcaster who, in addition to hosting Edmonton Oilers hockey broadcasts, has been a featured guest host on the 630 CHED Morning News and other talk shows over the past several years. Andrew has been entertaining Canadians for years as one of this country’s most successful stand-up comedians. For the past three years, Andrew has also been co-host of the 630 CHED Afternoon News.

J’lyn Nye and Mark Scholz will host The 630 CHED Afternoon News weekdays from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Following a distinguished television career, J’lyn has spent the last several years entertaining and informing listeners on Corus Radio stations CISN COUNTRY 103.9 and The New 92.5 Fresh FM. Mark is known as one of Edmonton’s top emcees and community boosters. An accomplished musician, Mark first caught the attention of Edmontonians with a number of television and radio assignments.

“Both shows will bring a fresh, new approach to delivering breaking news coverage,” said Garry McKenzie, General Manager, Corus Radio Alberta and Winnipeg. “With these programs, we are committed to delivering engaging, entertaining conversation on issues and topics of relevance to Edmontonians.”

Lesley Primeau is gone from CHED
    Where did she go?

^ Seriously, who cares what happened to that old shrew? CHED was long overdue for an on-air talent cleansing.

J’lyn Nye and Mark Scholz sounds like a great team. I'm surprised Mark has stayed around so long, it's been like 10 years or so since he was punted from Breakfast Television.

Be interesting to see if Tencer can still hold an audience outside of the Oil faithful.

^ Seriously, who cares what happened to that old shrew? CHED was long overdue for an on-air talent cleansing.

J’lyn Nye and Mark Scholz sounds like a great team. I'm surprised Mark has stayed around so long, it's been like 10 years or so since he was punted from Breakfast Television.

Be interesting to see if Tencer can still hold an audience outside of the Oil faithful.
    I wonder if Primeau knew she was going to let go or if it was dropped on her on Wednesday. Don't usually listen so I wonder if she was even on the show today.

^It was the Big Breakfast, actually. Best TV morning show the city ever had. Mark and Steve Antle would've been a long time fixture in town if Craig Broadcasting hadn't screwed up and blew its wad on a failed Toronto station.

I wonder who'll do the 6 to 9 shift?

It looks like Primeau didn't know. Listening to the start of the CHED archives on the 23rd and 24th at 3 PM. Tuesday, the intro mentions her name and she is there; Wednesday, no intro mention of any of the personalities and she isn't there.

I'm with SDM. Primeau should have been canned years ago. Scholz was a fill in on CBC RadioActive for a while but just couldn't gain any traction. I'll go you one better TerryH. I would say the Antle/Scholz years on Big Breakfast (I'll throw in the early appearances of Bridget Ryan as well) were perhaps some of the BEST Canadian TV (of that variety) ever produced.
    The morning Antle crashed the Federal Progressive Conservative convention (pre Reform days) being held in Edmonton was pure Gonzo Journalism at its finest. Genius.

I still remember Mark Scholz from Breakfast Television... in Halifax. Glad to see him get a new gig.

Seriously, I would describe her as an old shrill. It was so annoying and aggravating when Andrew Grouse would tell a story or make a comment only to have Primeau interrupting him constantly. They should of put the crazy auntie out to pasture years ago.

Good that there will be an Edmonton-based show at the 9am-noon time slot on CHED. Three weeks ago, Dan Tencer and J'lyn Nye hosted the show when Rutherford was on holidays (Rob Breakenridge hosted for Calgary's station).

It was refreshing listening to them talk about Edmonton issues including interviewing Kerry Diotte and Mayor Mandel.
    I was close on the predicting.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    I'm with SDM. Primeau should have been canned years ago. Scholz was a fill in on CBC RadioActive for a while but just couldn't gain any traction. I'll go you one better TerryH. I would say the Antle/Scholz years on Big Breakfast (I'll throw in the early appearances of Bridget Ryan as well) were perhaps some of the BEST Canadian TV (of that variety) ever produced.
    The morning Antle crashed the Federal Progressive Conservative convention (pre Reform days) being held in Edmonton was pure Gonzo Journalism at its finest. Genius.
    The Mark Scholz action doll:

The Big Breakfast Boogie Band with Mark on drums:

Too bad there's no compilation DVD of the BB. There'd literally be days worth of stuff that were top quality.

BTW, listened to Inside Sports last night and Tencer said that Oilers Now would stay noon to 2 but J'Lyn's and Mark's show would run 2 to 6.

630 ched is a joke now. They have no programming whatsoever.

I mean that show that Primeau was hosting along with Grose was basically nonsense. I never understood what the show was all about.

I used to enjoy 630 CHED about 10 years ago. But ever since it became "conversation station", quality went down the drain.

C2E Posting Power

I wonder if Tencer will still hang up on people on that morning slot. CHED is definitely not as good as it once was, not sure if these changes make it any better.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    BTW, listened to Inside Sports last night and Tencer said that Oilers Now would stay noon to 2 but J'Lyn's and Mark's show would run 2 to 6.
    That makes sense. No point listening to the last hour of the Charles Adler show from 2-3pm. Actually no point listening to an angry old guy anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by JustYeggin View Post
    630 ched is a joke now. They have no programming whatsoever.

I mean that show that Primeau was hosting along with Grose was basically nonsense. I never understood what the show was all about.

I used to enjoy 630 CHED about 10 years ago. But ever since it became "conversation station", quality went down the drain.
    The Primeau show was total nonsense. It was not interesting, enlightening, or informative. Finally the bigwigs at Corus figured it out and now there is a overhaul.

Is Bryan Hall still going to be on CHED? I thought they would have sent that old horse out to pasture already.

Mike Ross article on Gig City of the CHED shakeup:

http://www.gigcity.ca/2013/07/27/com...-ched-shuffle/

Default Leslie Primeau

Say what you will about Primeau but I believe she is a genuinely good person. I used to listen to her solo show and grind my teeth when she'd go off on a rant. It made me change stations quite often. However, with Andrew Grose I began to enjoy listening to them together. Sometimes they actually made me LOL. I would never elect her to public office but I believe she has a truly caring side to her that would make her great with younger personalities. I hope she lands on her feet.

Also, to all those who say they don't understand what the show was about, it was about what I felt like hearing about at the end of a long, hard day ... nothing important and occasionally really funny. Great stress reliever. Good luck Primeau.

I thought Primeau would be there forever. She used to really annoy me but over the years I kinda got used to her and got to appreciate her. She and Andrew Grose together definitely are a lot more entertaining than Andrew and J'Lyn. No offence to J'Lyn but the days she filled in for Primeau I typically got bored and changed stations.

Before I thought Primeau was shrill and annoying, but after a few days without her Grose seems to fall flat, he does need somebody for color. The Bill & Bill show was about the best talk radio Edmonton had, if it was only Bill Jackson it would have been too dull, Bill Matheson too over the top.
    Perhaps Tencer will be a good counterpoint, time will tell.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

It's now official. Dan Tencer and Andrew Grose will permanently take over Rutherford's former timeslot on CHED.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...vents-at-ched/

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

It's now official. Dan Tencer and Andrew Grose will permanently take over Rutherford's former timeslot on CHED.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...vents-at-ched/

This is a duplicate thread...already discussed here:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...?t=4145&page=2

I am so glad Dan Rutherford is gone.. he was so Alberta 1982.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I am so glad Dan Rutherford is gone.. he was so Alberta 1982.

Dave Rutherford
    Surely , not everyone was Kung Fu fighting.

^ ya him..

The website has been revamped somewhat
    http://www.630ched.com

They need to get rid of Ed Mason and his lame-joke crime stories

^ or go the opposite route and rename it the Alberta Tea Party Radio Network.

Anyone listening to J'lyn and Mark in the afternoon? reviews?

I listen sometimes. If the topic is interesting I'll listen, but they're definitely not as entertaining as Grose and Primeau.

I listen to Ched if I cant get to a tv for the Oiler/Eskimo games and I tune in almost every night for Coast 2 Coast and I like those old radio shows. When did they change their audio signature from information station to conversation station?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Anyone listening to Tencer and Grose in the mornings? Happened to catch it this morning and continued listening as it was their one year anniversary. It wasn't as bad as I imagined but it was underwhelming to be sure. Anyone listening with regularity?

How about the afternoon show? I would expect they are celebrating their one year as well.

I sometimes listen to Tencer and Grose, but it depends on the topic. Tencer gets on my nerves a bit. I don't know why.

CHED is Arts? Entertainment? Okay, possibly, but if so far all the wrong reasons.

CHED is culture? Please Ghod, for all that is decent and good tell me no.
    ... gobsmacked

Last time I listened to talk radio was when CHED was CJCA and it was with Bill & Bill show or they used to call it the 11-2 show. When I get a chance to listen I like the Tim & Sid Sportsnet radio show.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Anyone listening to Tencer and Grose in the mornings? Happened to catch it this morning and continued listening as it was their one year anniversary. It wasn't as bad as I imagined but it was underwhelming to be sure. Anyone listening with regularity?

How about the afternoon show? I would expect they are celebrating their one year as well.
    It's actually pretty good. They talk about the big headlines of the day, especially Edmonton news. Its so refreshing listening to talk radio with a local focus. We've suffered for too many years of Dave Rutherford in that time slot.

At times they crack some good jokes but sometimes they get too goofy and annoying. Dan Tencer is not as annoying on this show compared to his previous sports gig. I do wish they had more caller participation.

Ya, I do like the local focus as opposed to Rutherford. With Rutherford it seemed to be 90% provincial politics.

You're right Northguy. It's good to have more local voices, local concerns broadcast. When I have dropped in on their conversations however I get the impression they aren't as informed as they could be which leads to less interesting questions and conversations. Andrew Grose in particular seems a bit out of touch. Live radio can't be easy.

CBC Edmonton AM for instance has been doing bang-up work on the infill files. I know Mark Connolly rubs some people the wrong way (my wife can't stand him) but he (or his producers) discuss the relevant issues.

The few times I've listened to Tencer and Grosse, I found it takes them a while to get to discussing matters of substance; a little too much banter for my taste.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Tencer is definitely the more prepared of the two. I think he prides himself on being somewhat informed and intellectual. Grose on the other hand is the comic relief and more of a "regular guy" and so together theoretically they should make a pretty balanced team. Neither of them has a lot of years of experience in broadcasting however.

Ironically Grose was more prepared than Leslie Primeau was and she was in the business for years.

Does anybody know why she isn't on CHED anymore? I know why Rutherford isn't. The only information I can find is this...
    http://www.lesleyprimeau.com/#!A-Dif...6-02CE6DF527CB

I think Primeau for the most part preferred to "wing it".

My guess is CHED wanted to come across a little bit more professional. And, although she was much loved, no doubt with Leslie's personality the station had received a lot of complaints about her over the years too.

Although the last comment on that page is a bit surprising and interesting:

"I was a comedian who rose the ranks with A.G. back in the early 90's. As soon as I heard he had a show with you I knew you would be let go. He will also have his own show once he finds a way to get rid of Dan. He is manipulative and I respect the fact that you have not bad mouthed him for what he has done. There is a reason why he is banned from every comedy club in Edmonton, and all but 3 in the entire country which he fails to mention. I have seen him ruin many lives but be strong as the best way to deal with a sociopath, is to not deal with them at all
    D.M.
    Daryl 8 months ago
    "

Sounds like at least one person doesn't much care for Andrew Grose.

Makes you wonder about the comments in post 191.

Wow. It certainly does give a lot of credence to those comments. On the other hand, Dan has said some questionable things on the air in the past. The whole Eric Tillman fiasco comes to mind.

I was just listening to them a bit yesterday morning on the way home, talking about ways to reward good teachers and get rid of the bad ones. I missed most of the show but one thing that caught my attention was when he said of himself "I certainly hope I am being paid better than some other radio hosts", implying that he's a good radio host.

I wonder if Primeau will be giving him a call today. They can share some stories over coffee.

My guess is CFRN or a non-Corus network will pick him up for sports analysis, he was somewhat opinionated and perhaps he disagreed too much with some of their other opinionated people.

Andrew just said a few words about what happened to start off his show. He said whenever somebody leaves in radio "there's always a reason but rarely an explanation" and then he said that over the course of the show they've shared a lot of laughs but also a lot of big fights, both on and off the air, but he said they spoke on the phone last night and Dan asked Andrew to thank the audience for listening, so he did.

Dan is definitely opinionated and maybe difficult to get along with, but whether you love him or hate him, he's a very talented radio host in my opinion. In fact, I think to be a good radio host you have to be opinionated.

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Is it too much to hope for that he could be paired up with Bryan Hall next...???

So Dan Tencer is now a scout for the WHL Saskatoon Blades.

Probably pays better than radio?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I'm more of a long time OTR/C2C listener with Ched but with all these people leaving there's got to be something going on maybe at Corus or at the local level.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast