Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 300 of 1727

Thread: The Icon | Residential (2 towers) | 30 & 35 stories | Completed

  1. #201
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holyrood
    Posts
    4,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder
    it most certainly is becoming a focal point of our downtown (and in a good way for once).
    And I remember people laughed when the city first started talking about turning 104 St. into a trendy area with neat little shops, restaurants, etc.

    The moral of the story is: Yes, Edmonton, this city can do things right, and it's okay to think so and be proud of it.

  2. #202
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Downtown, Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Heard some rumors today that rates have dropped to $40/sq foot and that there are a few rumored tennants at least interested:

    1. Sorrentinos
    2. Booster Juice

    Don't know how credible the info is though... anyone heard anthing different?

  3. #203
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Of Champions
    Posts
    3,854

    Default

    Had dinner at Blue Plate last night...not a seat availible by 6:30....

    Took a walk around and noticed the four or five floors of cutain glass was up and the bottom ten or so floors was tarped up to allow stuccoing.

  4. #204
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    Heard some rumors today that rates have dropped to $40/sq foot and that there are a few rumored tennants at least interested:

    1. Sorrentinos
    2. Booster Juice

    Don't know how credible the info is though... anyone heard anthing different?

    booster might work, but it just left jasper and 103...

    sorrentinos...had not heard that, had heard sicillian pasta kitchen
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  5. #205
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    32,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    booster might work, but it just left jasper and 103...
    There never was a Booster Juice at Jasper and 103 St. Originally they were going to move their City Center location to the Club Fit space after Club Fit renovated their upstairs, but negotiations fell through. So Jugo Juice moved into that space instead. Jugo Juice is still operating there, last I saw.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  6. #206
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    ^booster was there before jugo.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  7. #207
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    32,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    ^booster was there before jugo.
    Nope. Believe me, I've been working out at Club Fit for several years now and I used to wander down to the nearest Booster Juice for a creatine drink, either at City Centre or at 109 St. And I once chatted to the manager at the City Centre Booster Juice about why they didn't open at the downtown Club Fit after their renovation (to move the main entrance upstairs and opening up the retail space in question) when other Club Fit locations had Booster Juice outlets.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  8. #208
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    2o mins ago:

    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  9. #209
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    88

    Default

    To bad there wasn't more glass....any ideas on when people will start moving in? I know the developer is stating late this year.

  10. #210
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles; Athens
    Posts
    4,401

    Default

    Wow, looking nice. I haven't been out of the house much over the past few days because of a cold but I might have to try and walk a few blocks to see the Icon!
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

  11. #211
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by auditor
    To bad there wasn't more glass....any ideas on when people will start moving in? I know the developer is stating late this year.
    i believe there are 5 floors remaining:

    25 - large units - almost done
    26 - large units
    27 - large units
    28 - sub penthouse
    29 - sub penthouse
    30 - penthouses

    so roughly 1 week per floor plus 1 week misc...should top out late feb. I would guess oct/nov 1st move ins, but they might get an occupancy permit prior to full completion which could mean lower floors moving in once substantial completion has occured.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  12. #212
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,696

    Default

    I would doubt, even if they get substantial completion and occupancy early while construction is still ongoing on the upper floors, that people would be moving in any earlier than November 2008. I haven't been inside the building to see what stage rough-in is at, but I'd be surprised if people start moving in any earlier than that.

  13. #213
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz0469
    I would doubt, even if they get substantial completion and occupancy early while construction is still ongoing on the upper floors, that people would be moving in any earlier than November 2008. I haven't been inside the building to see what stage rough-in is at, but I'd be surprised if people start moving in any earlier than that.
    interiors are pretty simple...i know, i worked on it.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  14. #214
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,696

    Default

    Fair enough, but what stage is rough in at? You can't work on interiors till rough-in is complete. I doubt much has been done on most floors because they haven't been closed in. Glues/solvents and/or gasket/mechanical joints on plumbing/sprinkler/HVAC don't work in our climate when exposed to the elements. Maybe Jetco has the rough-in complete up to the 20th floor, but I really seriously doubt they've done much more than the pedestal and maybe a couple typical floors. Same goes with other subtrades.

  15. #215
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz0469
    Fair enough, but what stage is rough in at? You can't work on interiors till rough-in is complete. I doubt much has been done on most floors because they haven't been closed in. Glues/solvents and/or gasket/mechanical joints on plumbing/sprinkler/HVAC don't work in our climate when exposed to the elements. Maybe Jetco has the rough-in complete up to the 20th floor, but I really seriously doubt they've done much more than the pedestal and maybe a couple typical floors. Same goes with other subtrades.
    correct...but they have the 1st 10 floors or so under raps and closed in...so i suspect they are going along fairly quickly.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  16. #216
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    967

    Default

    It seems we're always pampering these current 'condo tower' developments. I figure it's because it will (should) inject some life into our DT. But design excellence they are not.
    In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

  17. #217
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoMod
    It seems we're always pampering these current 'condo tower' developments. I figure it's because it will (should) inject some life into our DT. But design excellence they are not.
    double edged sword.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  18. #218

    Default

    What do you guys think - population wise... I guestimated/calculated that tower 1 house 240 people and Tower 2 about 280 people.

    Thats 520 new residents downtown.

    Am I close? I'm guessing 2 persons per unit - then subtracted an arbitrary amount to compensate for the 1 person units...

    Still, around ~450 - ~520 new residents, not too bad

  19. #219
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    tower 1 ~126 units

    tower 2 ~ 160 units

    roughly 286 units * 1. 3 (rough person per unit downtown) = 370
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  20. #220
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    tower 1 ~126 units

    tower 2 ~ 160 units

    roughly 286 units * 1. 3 (rough person per unit downtown) = 370
    There are already enough rough people downtown. How many refined people can you get in a unit?

  21. #221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    tower 1 ~126 units

    tower 2 ~ 160 units

    roughly 286 units * 1. 3 (rough person per unit downtown) = 370
    There are already enough rough people downtown. How many refined people can you get in a unit?
    hah!

  22. #222
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    i am very curious to see the direct impacts of ICON I and II, sobeys, ymca, and u of a on the surrounding retail, empty land, and the such.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  23. #223
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    88

    Default

    My guess is it will have a massive impact- on any given summer day there will be all the existing retail plus sobeys and the retail in Icon I- foot traffic in the area will increase a lot.

    I just hope one of the Icon bays is a restaurant with a patio- but from what I've heard not likely...can always hope.

  24. #224
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    ^one of the bays was "intended" to be a food place...but who knows.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  25. #225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by auditor
    My guess is it will have a massive impact- on any given summer day there will be all the existing retail plus sobeys and the retail in Icon I- foot traffic in the area will increase a lot.

    I just hope one of the Icon bays is a restaurant with a patio- but from what I've heard not likely...can always hope.
    This would be killer. I would love to see a patio here. Maybe 5 actually.

  26. #226
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    ^one of the bays was "intended" to be a food place...but who knows.
    By food place do you mean booster juice?

  27. #227
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by auditor
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    ^one of the bays was "intended" to be a food place...but who knows.
    By food place do you mean booster juice?
    no
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  28. #228
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Any info on how long Beaver Hills House Park will be all blocked off? I assume it's a safety measure as Tower 1 rises?

  29. #229
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoftGuy
    Any info on how long Beaver Hills House Park will be all blocked off? I assume it's a safety measure as Tower 1 rises?
    no it is not...not sure why it is closed off.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  30. #230
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Old Strathcona, Edmonton
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Any progress on the negotiations over the tower crane for Icon II?
    Almost always open to debate...

  31. #231
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink
    Any progress on the negotiations over the tower crane for Icon II?

    i believe so...
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  32. #232
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    no it is not...not sure why it is closed off.
    Anyone know?

  33. #233
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton - Best in the West
    Posts
    252

    Default

    JR Ewing's body fell from the "proposed" Urbia tower and bounced that far over, landing in Beaver Hills Park...

    That's my guess.


    Muhahahahahahahahaha!!!
    Not one of the miserable ones on here... no really.

  34. #234

    Default

    At around 430 last night there was a backhoe and a vac truck from EPCOR inside the fence, so it may be utility related.

  35. #235
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Some pictures taken by me around lunch time today Feb. 8, 2008:

    Icon I, working on the 26th floor, 4 floors remaining!


    Icon II, still a big hole:


    Complete set:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1177407...7603871838702/

  36. #236
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    i have been told that the Icon 2 crane should be going up shortly with an initial height of 280' or about 23' shy of tower 1's final height.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  37. #237
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    230

    Default

    And still no news on the park closure?

  38. #238

    Default

    There's been a lot of utility work being done in the area. I suspect the presence of open pits and water pipes and so forth is what's keeping the park closed.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  39. #239
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Old Strathcona, Edmonton
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    i have been told that the Icon 2 crane should be going up shortly with an initial height of 280' or about 23' shy of tower 1's final height.
    That'll be quite the sight -- and an obvious solution to the concerns at The Century about interference from the crane (I'm assuming The Century isn't 280' high). Still, I expect that Langham had to work out some sort of arrangement with The Century because the crane will still swing above that building.
    Almost always open to debate...

  40. #240
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    That'll be quite the sight -- and an obvious solution to the concerns at The Century about interference from the crane (I'm assuming The Century isn't 280' high). Still, I expect that Langham had to work out some sort of arrangement with The Century because the crane will still swing above that building.
    correct, century is less than 280'...i would guess 250-260'.

    and yes, langham by means of Graham by means of Pagnotta would have an air rights agreement in place
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  41. #241
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Of Champions
    Posts
    3,854

    Default

    Crane started Friday afternoon

  42. #242
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Photo taken by me today (Feb. 23, 200 from the top level of the Windsor parkade at the University of Alberta.

    A couple floors of Icon I can be seen from across the river (underneath the only crane in the picture):


    Complete set here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1177407...7603871838702/

  43. #243

    Default

    This is the first tangible change to downtown Edmonton's skyline in a long time.

  44. #244
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    This is the first tangible change to downtown Edmonton's skyline in a long time.
    Indeed!

    more to come
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  45. #245
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Old Strathcona, Edmonton
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post
    Crane started Friday afternoon
    I saw that - wonder when they'll erect the rest of the crane.

    The operator of that crane will have tobe in good shape - imagine having to climb 280' each day.
    Almost always open to debate...

  46. #246
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    I saw that - wonder when they'll erect the rest of the crane.

    The operator of that crane will have tobe in good shape - imagine having to climb 280' each day.
    it almost surely will be fri-sunday, but who knows.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  47. #247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leendert View Post
    Photo taken by me today (Feb. 23, 200 from the top level of the Windsor parkade at the University of Alberta.

    A couple floors of Icon I can be seen from across the river (underneath the only crane in the picture):


    Complete set here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1177407...7603871838702/
    Now if only somebody would build something tall and more to the right, say where the old EPCOR building sits now. It would fill a hole in that picture, and add some mass to the skyline. Eventually perhaps, but we don't seem to need offices in Edmonton. The recent announcement by Syncrude that they will stop funding some events in Edmonton because they will spend that money now it Fort McMurray is another sign that large corporations find it easy to locate in Calgary and ignore Edmonton altogether, even when their work is near here.

  48. #248
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    ^Melcor's proposed tower would be about right there at 22-25 floors...just above enbridge in height but adjacent to it.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  49. #249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^Melcor's proposed tower would be about right there at 22-25 floors...just above enbridge in height but adjacent to it.
    Is it still an active project? I thought that the land was sold or something else happened to end that project?

  50. #250
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Old Strathcona, Edmonton
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voice View Post
    Is it still an active project? I thought that the land was sold or something else happened to end that project?
    As far as I know it's still active, but Melcor will need a lead tenant before commencing construction.
    Almost always open to debate...

  51. #251
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    As far as I know it's still active, but Melcor will need a lead tenant before commencing construction.
    correct
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  52. #252
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oliver
    Posts
    3,194

    Default



  53. #253
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    a couple from lunch.



    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  54. #254

    Default

    Thanks for the updage Newfangled and IanO, it's much appreciated.
    Last edited by ThomasH; 25-02-2008 at 08:02 PM.

  55. #255
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    The moment many have been waiting for is soon...

    Icon II's crane is confirmed to go up this Saturday. Some massive mobile crane will be downtown for the lift.

    It will be 280' by sunday ish.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  56. #256
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    582

    Default

    ^nice. any ideas for a good place to watch from? any parkades that will give me an unobstructed view?

  57. #257
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    ^nice. any ideas for a good place to watch from? any parkades that will give me an unobstructed view?
    coast's
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  58. #258
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,565

    Default

    You mean you want to watch them put up a crane? Wow, I wish I had that kind of extra free time to sit there and watch someone put up a construction crane.

  59. #259
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    582

    Default

    I've never seen a crane go up, and I only recently found out how they do it. It was always a mystery to me, so I'd like to see it happen-- part of it at least. I do have a life.

  60. #260
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Edmonton -> -> Beautiful BC
    Posts
    5,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    You mean you want to watch them put up a crane? Wow, I wish I had that kind of extra free time to sit there and watch someone put up a construction crane.

    In these busy days I need to multitask: any place I can sit & drink beer & watch them put up a crane ?

  61. #261
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,565

    Default

    Well if you can drink a beer and watch the crane go up, I suppose that would be a bit more productive. I guess I'm just upset that I don't have the time to do such things myself.

  62. #262
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    In these busy days I need to multitask: any place I can sit & drink beer & watch them put up a crane ?
    blue plate diner if you get a window view

    if not, get someone with an office in commerce or manu with a fridge
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  63. #263
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    582

    Default

    even better would be someone with an office view and a camcorder. a time lapse video would be awesome... then i could watch it and drink from home. any takers? hah

  64. #264
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    even better would be someone with an office view and a camcorder. a time lapse video would be awesome... then i could watch it and drink from home. any takers? hah
    if i didnt have a commitment i would have access to an appropriate floor facing west in commerce.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  65. #265

    Default

    From today:





    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  66. #266
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,624

    Default

    Looking good, so thin. The punched windows still seem to small to me.

  67. #267
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Any more updates? Ian, is the rest still going up this weekend?
    i love lamp

  68. #268
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
    Any more updates? Ian, is the rest still going up this weekend?
    Yup...tomorrow morning there will be a big crane there. Shutting 104st down.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  69. #269
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holyrood
    Posts
    4,846

    Default

    I went down to 104 St. yesterday just as they were lifting the crane boom:









    Pretty fun to watch, if you're a nerd like me.

  70. #270
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton - Best in the West
    Posts
    252

    Default

    I joined the nerd crowd as well... was out for a swim at the YMCA, and then a run back home when I saw that the street was closed and... say it like a character from Seinfeld...

    "They're puttin up the CRANE!!"
    Not one of the miserable ones on here... no really.

  71. #271
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    7,800

    Cool

    That's great to see two cranes in the core side-by-side.

    Next up, Epcor....

  72. #272
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    From this morning:

















    jr. and big brother

    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  73. #273
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Capital Region
    Posts
    1,236

    Default

    Is phase I topped out now?
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

  74. #274
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Is phase I topped out now?
    working on 28th pour...so about 3 floors more or about 30'
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  75. #275
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,696

    Default

    Dang, I was out of town while they were assembling the crane, otherwise I would have loved to watch it go up from on top of Phillip's. I could even have drank beer :/

  76. #276
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, alberta
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I own in one of the lower floors of ICON I, they have just completed the finishings and have the appliances moved in on my floor. We are told the move in date is August 2008, but to be honest I think it will be closer to October 2008.

  77. #277
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomy View Post
    I own in one of the lower floors of ICON I, they have just completed the finishings and have the appliances moved in on my floor. We are told the move in date is August 2008, but to be honest I think it will be closer to October 2008.
    seems reasonable ish.....but would be suprised if appliances are anywhere near in yet.


    Podium is pretty good other than the cornices IMO.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  78. #278
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holyrood
    Posts
    4,846

    Default

    Snapped some shots at lunch:





    I don't mind the cornices, myself. They seem to fit well. I love the colour of the brick. Tough to get a good look at the windows will all the scaffolding, but they seem to look pretty good.

  79. #279

    Default

    I do like the colour of the brick too. However, this is really going to be quite the transition in styles from podium to tower, which may or may not provide an interesting contrast - we will have to wait and see. I think the podium here was perhaps what the EDC was referring to when the they stated that the Ironwood podium was interpreting historical guidelines to literally.

  80. #280
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    I do like the colour of the brick too. However, this is really going to be quite the transition in styles from podium to tower, which may or may not provide an interesting contrast - we will have to wait and see. I think the podium here was perhaps what the EDC was referring to when the they stated that the Ironwood podium was interpreting historical guidelines to literally.
    far better of a job than the century though...but yes too literal.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  81. #281
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, alberta
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    seems reasonable ish.....but would be suprised if appliances are anywhere near in yet.
    I was surprised also, but this is 'inside' information from a contractor working on the building, it was not received from the real estate agent. The only information we have received from the agent is that 'prospective' move-in date will be late August 2008.

  82. #282
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holyrood
    Posts
    4,846

    Default

    OH yeah, I took these on Sunday and forgot to post them; a better look at the Icon podium:







    Similar materials and finished as The Century, yet somehow 100x better looking. I'm not sure I understand how that works, but I'm grateful for it.

    And of course another "rising" shot:


    ...looks a lot wider from this angle.

  83. #283
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    ^they are working on "30"....
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  84. #284
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Of Champions
    Posts
    3,854

    Default

    can't tell...but did they use brick in the alley???

  85. #285
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post
    can't tell...but did they use brick in the alley???
    stucco i believe.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  86. #286
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    967

    Default

    That's what it is...
    In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

  87. #287
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Icon II is officially above ground now with 3-4 columns
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  88. #288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    ...looks a lot wider from this angle.
    It looks very narrow from a distance, from the West or North (haven't tried East or South yet), quite different from the other high rises downtown. The two towers are going to look great in the skyline - many more like this nearby (i.e. short walk to Sobeys) would be very nice I think.
    Last edited by moahunter; 02-04-2008 at 12:21 PM.

  89. #289
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    ...looks a lot wider from this angle.
    It looks very narrow from a distance, from the West or North (haven't tried East or South yet), quite different from the other high rises downtown. The two towers are going to look great in the skyline - many more like this nearby (i.e. short walk to Sobeys) would be very nice I think.
    yup...we need about 5-10 more icon towers in the 109st-103st area from 100ave-104ave for it to have some critical mass.

    5-10 towers = ~ 1500-3000 people
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  90. #290
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,565

    Default

    Well as long as the city centre airport is still operating, you won't see anything that tall any farther west than the current Icon towers until you get a bit closer to 116 ST. Curse that airport!!!

  91. #291
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Well as long as the city centre airport is still operating, you won't see anything that tall any farther west than the current Icon towers until you get a bit closer to 116 ST. Curse that airport!!!
    indeed....and while you can do great things with 12 or less floors....our downtown needs slimmer towers and more of them.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  92. #292
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oliver
    Posts
    3,194

    Default

    Ian, I'm sure you'd be the guy to answer this.

    What's the floorplate sqft of the Icon towers? And how does that compare to the strathern and VFTC floorplates?

  93. #293
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Ian, I'm sure you'd be the guy to answer this.

    What's the floorplate sqft of the Icon towers? And how does that compare to the strathern and VFTC floorplates?
    Icon I ~ 6750 if i recall.

    Strathearn i havent seen yet but i would expect about the same

    VFTC looks slightly larger to me, but again hard to tell.

    Generally speaking modern "high-rises" in Edmonton are 7000-9000sqft per floor.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  94. #294

    Default Any new pictures of tower II?

    Hi ,

    I'm new to this and just joined the forum. I'm from Vancouver and have bought a unit in Icon II in Spring 2007. Can someone post some new pictures of the construction progress please?
    Does anyone know if they have started inviting owners of tower I to inspect their units?

    thanks

  95. #295
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,565

    Default

    Icon II is still in the ground... they haven't done a whole lot yet... Nobody has been invited to see their units yet in Icon I, they haven't even finished adding the top floor yet.

  96. #296
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Old Strathcona, Edmonton
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Langham is planning occupancy at the end of 2008 for Icon I and end of 2009 for Icon II.
    Almost always open to debate...

  97. #297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MangoulM View Post
    Hi ,

    I'm new to this and just joined the forum. I'm from Vancouver and have bought a unit in Icon II in Spring 2007. Can someone post some new pictures of the construction progress please?
    Does anyone know if they have started inviting owners of tower I to inspect their units?

    thanks
    http://theicon.ca/

    http://www.theicon.ca/phase_2/march08.html

    I don't even know if Icon 1 has started the interiors....

  98. #298

    Default

    It's interesting to contrast 1 year of work:
    http://www.theicon.ca/con_gall/jan07.html
    http://www.theicon.ca/con_gall/jan08.html

    They have moved quite quickly, IMO...

  99. #299

    Default

    Thank you guys. Being away and seeing developers dropped the ball on six major residential projects in DT Vancouver made me a bit nervous.
    When I compare the progress of the project with same size projects in Vancouver , I can see they move steady but at much slower pace IMO.

  100. #300
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    City Of Champions
    Posts
    3,854

    Default

    First tower occupation will be in september.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •