Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese food - any recommendations?

C2E Long Term Contributor

I've been meaning to ask why All Happy runs two separate places next door to each other?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The bigger dinning room closes earlier. they are attached.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I've been meaning to ask why All Happy runs two separate places next door to each other?
    Dinning room is daytime and for larger dinner events such as weddings... smaller is for other times.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Love the Mandarin by College Plaza. Excellent "North American" Chinese.

Buddy Wonton on the other hand, meh.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Szechuan Garden on 118th ave

Some of the best anglo-chinese available in the city IMO

Delivers almost everywhere
    Parkdale

Dan Shing on Stoney and about 160st is fantastic as well.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    Love the Mandarin by College Plaza. Excellent "North American" Chinese.

Buddy Wonton on the other hand, meh.
    The Mandarin is not bad at all, I agree.

I used to like Buddy Won Ton until a couple of years ago when I did a takeout order of one of their chicken dishes but ended up with anything but chicken.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I have always liked the Blue Willow - but its not cheap and has limited hours. They have the huge egg rolls (made with a batter - not rice paper) stuffed with the kitchen sink. Actually here is what they say: "Egg Roll$3.90 Barbecued pork and vegetables with a hint of curry in a golden crispy coat."
    We like their noodle dishes, ginger beef and lemon chicken. Here is an honest statement from their website: "Ask for No Added MSG and we will not add MSG to your meal. For more details, please ask your server." I just wish they never needed MSG under any circumstance. Most places do use it unless stated they don't.

If your from Edmonton you likely know the history behind the Blue Willow. If not its online:

http://www.bluewillowrestaurant.com

^ I was not impressed...from earlier in the thread

I gave the Blue Willow a try and it was merely passable but nothing to rave about.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Ian, do you know if the BBQ Duck on Rice or BBQ Pork on Rice at All Happy is not breaded? I'm always on the lookout for some gluten free late night food for me and the missus
    Breaded BBQ duck and pork?!?! Omigod, the horror, the horror.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

wow, all this talk of gwailo chinese food making me hungry.

I should try it one day... see how whities eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    wow, all this talk of gwailo chinese food making me hungry.

I should try it one day... see how whities eat.

Top_Dawg has to give you a high five for that one Leg.

Default for the rest of us

Quoted from Wkipedia:
    "Gweilo or Gwai Lo (鬼佬; Cantonese gwai2 lou2, pronounced [kʷɐ̌i lǒu] ( listen)) is a common Cantonese slang term for foreigners although this does not apply to many other Asian races, and has a long history of racially deprecatory use. Many Cantonese speakers frequently use the term "gweilo" to refer to foreigners in general and consider the term non-derogatory, which some members of the foreign community resent"
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    I have always liked the Blue Willow - but its not cheap and has limited hours. They have the huge egg rolls (made with a batter - not rice paper) stuffed with the kitchen sink. Actually here is what they say: "Egg Roll$3.90 Barbecued pork and vegetables with a hint of curry in a golden crispy coat."
    We like their noodle dishes, ginger beef and lemon chicken. Here is an honest statement from their website: "Ask for No Added MSG and we will not add MSG to your meal. For more details, please ask your server." I just wish they never needed MSG under any circumstance. Most places do use it unless stated they don't.

If your from Edmonton you likely know the history behind the Blue Willow. If not its online:

Thanks Trekker.

Years ago Top_Dawg remembers the Blue Willow having a cocktail lounge separate from the dining lounge.

Is it still like that or has the cocktail lounge been replaced by the party rooms ?

Can't tell for sure by the website but it kinda looks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Quoted from Wkipedia:
    "Gweilo or Gwai Lo (鬼佬; Cantonese gwai2 lou2, pronounced [kʷɐ̌i lǒu] ( listen)) is a common Cantonese slang term for foreigners although this does not apply to many other Asian races, and has a long history of racially deprecatory use. Many Cantonese speakers frequently use the term "gweilo" to refer to foreigners in general and consider the term non-derogatory, which some members of the foreign community resent"
    Thanks for the reference. It's interesting that 'many Cantonese speakers' users of the term think it is non-deragatory but isn't it up to the people who the term is being used about to decide if a term is derogatory or not?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Thanks for the reference. It's interesting that 'many Cantonese speakers' users of the term think it is non-deragatory but isn't it up to the people who the term is being used about to decide if a term is derogatory or not?
    An interesting bit of history here, and oddly it's related to Chinese food as well.

CBSC Ruling on "Gwai Lo Cooking"
    Based on all the above, the Council does not find that the title "Gwai Lo Cooking" is in any way abusively discriminatory toward people of non-Oriental descent. Accordingly, CFMT-TV has not breached the human rights provision of the CAB Code of Ethics by broadcasting and promoting Gwai Lo Cooking.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Still miss the old North China on Jasper and 120 th
    Still The Best hot and sour going !

Jasper and 120th ?

What the devil are you talking about Blueps ?

How long ago was that ?

Are you maybe alluding to 124 street and just south of 104 avenue ?

Top_Dawg seems to recall that was called Emperor's Palace.

But maybe it was North China before that.

One of Top_Dawg's wingers tells him he used to drink in their lounge quite regularly.

And it was pretty rough.

Got in a few scraps there.

Nah,
    Used to be just west of the organic food shoppe (late earls) current site of the new "holeo" for phse 2 of the brown brick bank building

Had a take-out meal for two from Good Buddy at Heritage last night. $30 and the wife and I have had two suppers out of it. Very nice, and certainly good value.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Had a take-out meal for two from Good Buddy at Heritage last night. $30 and the wife and I have had two suppers out of it. Very nice, and certainly good value.
    i like this place as well (food snobs be damned) very westernized and generic but still tastes good.

if you go on their website sometimes they have coupons for take out.
    be offended! figure out why later...

I've been to the southside Good Buddy and both the patrons and menu were decidedly non-western.

Thanks, RichardW. I didn't know about the take-out coupons.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I've been to the southside Good Buddy and both the patrons and menu were decidedly non-western.
    i think the dine in menu is different from the take out one.
    take out one is stuff like sweet and sour pork, ginger beef etc.

ive only dined in once and it didnt seem that authentic to me but ive never been to asia so who knows.
    either way the prices are very reasonable i find. so thats a plus.
    be offended! figure out why later...

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

Thanks Trekker.

Years ago Top_Dawg remembers the Blue Willow having a cocktail lounge separate from the dining lounge.

Is it still like that or has the cocktail lounge been replaced by the party rooms ?

Can't tell for sure by the website but it kinda looks that way.
    No lounge. It has made way for a party room or something like that over the years. But some old time cocktail favourites still on the menu - albeit I don't drink them.

No outstanding Chinese food in Edmonton.

Shanghai is in China so going to consider it Chinese. Shanghai 456 serves the best xiaolongbao (soupy dumplings). Even better than the ones in Hong Kong at a place famous for them. Their pan fried beef buns are very juicy and good if you don't mind raw onions (wished they sauteed it before putting it in with the meat). Plus they always give free desserts

Moon Palace, Bejing Bejing & Good Buddy are some of the better places I've had when it comes to Chinese food.

I know, not authentic Chinese but I've never had bad service or food at any of those places.

If you are alluding to the Moon Palace on Stony Plain Road right next to the old IGA, then Top_Dawg concurs.

Very good and great value.

Dan Shing on Stony is also quite good.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    If you are alluding to the Moon Palace on Stony Plain Road right next to the old IGA, then Top_Dawg concurs.

Very good and great value.

That's the one!
    Great food for a good price.

Is Moon Palace still open? Can't find them on Urbanspoon.

I still miss Szechuan Cuisine, which was just west of that IGA. But the couple who ran it retired and had nobody to take it over. It is now (?) the Chinese Dumpling House.

Is Moon Palace still open? Can't find them on Urbanspoon.

I still miss Szechuan Cuisine, which was just west of that IGA. But the couple who ran it retired and had nobody to take it over. It is now (?) the Chinese Dumpling House.
    Still very much open!

Yup.

Top_Dawg staggered over to the Diker late afternoon just this past Sunday.

He glanced across the street and both the Moon and the jack shack had their OPEN signs lit up.

However, Top_Dawg was not in the mood for either indulgence.

He simply tumbled into the JP Ranch Saloon and slurped back 'bout fi beer.

Business as usual on Stony.

First One is Always Free

Looks like Lingnan for the win!

My own personal favourite that I haven't seen mentioned in the thread was called Pearl Jade, which used to be on 112 st at about 85 avenue (across from the U of A hospital). I used to the order from them all the time...always used to be the same delivery driver, and whenever I'd move he always seemed surprised when I opened the door: "Oh, it's you! You moved!"

They closed up for I don't know what reason a couple years ago...there's IIRC a Mucho Burrito in their spot now.

There's a place on 76 avenue at about 96 street (in the same little strip mall as The Blue Chair bistro) called Chinese Szechuan Sir Fry. They're not half bad, pretty cheap too (especially compared to Blue Willow or Lingnan).

Then there's this place:
    Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    We went to Blue Quill Chinese Food last night and ordered four items to take out. They're located in the Blue Quill shopping centre on Saddleback. Food was excellent, and they don't use M.S.G.
    I grew up in the townhouse complex right next to that strip mall (lived there from '85 to '94). Back in the summer I took my wife and kid down there to show them where I used to live and I was gobsmacked to find that same Chinese joint was still there in that strip mall...and, yeah, as I remember they were pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Scona, Class of '94 View Post
    There's a place on 76 avenue at about 96 street (in the same little strip mall as The Blue Chair bistro) called Chinese Szechuan Sir Fry. They're not half bad, pretty cheap too (especially compared to Blue Willow or Lingnan).

You know this place Scona ?

Yeah, it's fairly close to Top_Dawg's south side crib.

Food's all right, good value, and they deliver pretty fast.

Should mention that it's take-out or delivery only.

No seating.

Opens at four P.M.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Pearl Jade? Really? I used to have to take work/lunch meetings there sometimes and finally after being sick multiple times simply refused to attend meetings held there. It was bad. Really bad. What replaced PJ is so much better.

First One is Always Free

^^^
    Oh I dunno, I ordered from Pearl Jade at least a couple times a month for a good ten years and we never got sick once. Of course, in all that time I never once actually went to the restaurant and dined in, always delivery.

Yeah, Dawg, it looks like we are talking about the same place on 76th ave. Take one look at the interior of the joint and you'd be expecting a case of salmonella waiting to happen, but the food's always been good. Either that or I've got the constitution of an ox...

...Then there's the Chinese place that used to be in the Comfort Inn downtown (I was Night Auditor there almost six years) about ten years back (they are no longer there.) I'll never forget the afternoon when, on one of my days off, the GM called me in because the entire hotel and restaurant staff had to get TB shots. Why? Because it turned out one of the restaurant cooks had friggin' TB! Fortunately he didn't give it to anyone else; we all tested negative, thank god (the GM was particularly nervous 'cos she was about five months pregnant at the time.) Still, none of us were too thrilled about the idea of TB shots. Now, that place's kitchen looked like something out of Kitchen Nightmares, with a bit of Stephen King thrown in for good measure...I heard of more than one case of customers getting sick and wasn't a bit surprised...

A bit off topic but I was wondering Scona if you know what the name of that Comfort Inn was in the sixties and seventies.

First One is Always Free

Before it was purchased by the Choice chain in the late nineties and became the Comfort Inn it was the Garden City Inn for many years...before that it was the Renford on Fifth. No idea what it was before that...

It was the Renford Inn on Fifth when it was built.

Top_Dawg vaguely remembers a long, long time ago there was a hotel on the east end of that block where the condo is.

Called ' something ' Motor Inn.

The whole area was a hooker stroll until the very late eighties.

There was also Tilt's gaming arcade across 100 avenue from the Renford - on the Impark lot.

Where a dapper young Top_Dawg spent plenty of time and money.

Great memories.

Been going to Wok This Way for Chinese in a little strip mall off 50th street & 40 ave. Usually just get a lunch combo and it's pretty damn good.

Tried Lee Garden for the first time in many many years and although not bad, I wasn't overly impressed.

C2E SME

Pearl River on 99 St.
    Wok this Way on 50th
    Panda Hut Express, 23 ave are my three picks.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Curious.. what do you guys order when you want Chinese food? Egg foo yung? Fried Rice? Lemon Chicken?

I'm coming from the other side.. so I'm curious what you consider Chinese Food. Maybe I should try it some day.

Pearl River best in city. They also make certain dishes gluten free.

I don't think there is any authentic Szechuan restaurants in Edmonton. I have went to the Old Szechuan and ordered this dish that WAS suppose to be spicy as hell (水煮魚) but I found it more oily than spicy despite copious amounts of chili. I think most places tame stuff down for the common masses.

Dim Sum - I like Jumbo or Tasty Noodle
    Chow Mein and Noodles - Double Greeting
    Dinner - Not that big of a difference. Though some places are saltier than others...

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Curious.. what do you guys order when you want Chinese food? Egg foo yung? Fried Rice? Lemon Chicken?

I'm coming from the other side.. so I'm curious what you consider Chinese Food. Maybe I should try it some day.
    I usually get a Wor Wonton, Lemon Chicken, some mixed vegetables and/or some beef & veggies. Lately though I always try something I've never tried before just to spice things up... sometimes I win and sometimes I lose.

I think today is going to be a Chinese food day.

Review of Urban China
    http://winedineyeg.com/urban-china/

Replacing the old Century Grill on Calgary Trail is Plates International Buffet.

https://www.facebook.com/PlatesBuffet/
    https://www.yelp.ca/biz/plates-inter...uffet-edmonton

Went today.. it's expensive, but good fresh selection. Owned by the same group as Sumo Sumo in the Sherwood Forest, I believe.

For the adventurous out there: Noodle feast. A bit of a hole in the wall but they have awesome spicy hand pulled noodles. The menu is in chinese and no one speaks English. Really, I called to see if they're open and they didn't understand me- not even "open or closed today?" . You can order by number so we just picked an number from each section of the menu. Noms.

Double Greeting
    Sam Wok
    Hot Wok
    Wok n Roll
    Chin Kee
    Dan Shing
    Shanghai 456

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12