Thread: Edmonton Off Leash Dog Parks

Default Edmonton Off Leash Dog Parks

Edmonton has many great off-leash dog parks. (This is a very dog friendly city!)

Here is a list of the River Valley Off Leash Sites

Description

Buena Vista Great Meadow
    north of Laurier Park and Buena Vista Dr., south of Melton Ravine (approx. 88 Ave.); excluding pedestrian bridge access trail, Yorath property and trail north to Mackenzie Ravine

This is a hot-air balloon site; please leash your dog when balloons launch.

Patricia Ravine
    granular hiking trail between Patricia Heights, Rio Terrace and Westridge from Whitemud Dr. to river

Dawson Bridge/Highlands hiking trail
    Dawson Park and granular trail on north side of Dawson Bridge to Capilano and 50 St. Bridges are on-leash

Hermitage Park North
    multi-use area in valley north of fishing pond and picnic area; 129 Ave. to 137 Ave., and 22 St. along river bank are off-leash where signed

Kennedale
    ravine west of 40 St, loop west to 47 St. and top of bank

Brander Gardens
    pipeline corridor; north of 58 Ave. between Brander Dr. and Whitemud Dr.

Terwillegar Park
    multi-use area; access via Rabbit Hill Rd.

Whitemud Park and Hawrelak Park hiking trail
    multi-use granular trail from Whitemud Park to footbridge, excluding old Keillor Rd. and designated equestrian trail

Capilano hiking trail
    Capilano Bridge, lower granular trail east to Hardisty Dr. and 56 St.

Gold Bar hiking trail
    Capilano amenity building north side, east along lower granular trail to Rundle footbridge; excluding shelter and picnic area

Jackie Parker Park
    Whitemud Dr. and 50 St. south of 44 Ave. entrance; excluding golf course

Mill Creek Ravine
    access from 68 Ave. and 93 St. (west side of Argyll Park) or north side of Argyll Park parking lot; only the granular trail along the bottom of ravine to Whyte (82) Ave. overpass is off-leash

Riverside hiking trail
    south bank granular trail from Low Level Bridge to Rafters Landing; from lower Forest Heights to east end of Rivreside Golf Course

Upper Mill Creek Ravine
    from 50 St. and 44 Ave. to 34 St. and 34 Ave.;
    granular trail only

Here is the City's link to other neighbourhood dog parks.

http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server...MODE=Published

Enjoy!

Unhappy Edmonton Off Leash Parks

One thing for anyone who may not be aware, please be careful in the parks that have ravines... there is a growing number of urban coyotes in these areas and they have been feeding on people's pets... saddly there was an incident a few nights ago in the capilano area where they ganged up on an poor dog walking off leash... and all the city can do is post warning signs.

C2E Continued Contributor

This is a good heads-up. Not just ravines, either - top of the river valley too. I saw a coyote along Saskatchewan Drive in Belgravia (south of 74th Avenue) a couple of weeks ago.
    Almost always open to debate...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Believe it or not, there's a woman in the Laurier Drive area that actively feeds the coyotes. Neighbours have been complaining to the city for years about it, but there's little the city can or will do, perhaps partially due to the fact that this person is married in to one of Edmonton's most prominent families. Several dogs in the area have been eaten or maimed by the coyotes that she attracts with her feeding.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Maybe the neighbors who are so upset about this should just go tell her off themselves. Just cause she's part of a "prominent" Edmonton family doesn't mean she can do anything to her neighbors.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Remember that the River Valley is a WILD Life habitat, use some sense when you and your poochie are out

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Yes, common sense should be used... Apparently common sense is something this woman in Laurier Heights from the "prominent" Edmonton family lacks.

Trust me, numerous people have taken her up on it. She's very old and "eccentric" to say the least.

Thanks for posting the list.

Now if all dog owners could just realize that ALL the other parks are ON leash parks! I am constantly informing / reporting people who use Rundle park as an off leash area. Yes the rule does apply to everyone even if you scoff or give me a dirty look - you are not above the bylaw, and your license plate is being recorded and reported.

^ This is a pet peeve of mine as well and notice it in my neighbourhood constantly.

^ stop being a dog hater.

As the owner of an extramly well trained dog, I can walk my pup off leash and you would swear she is on leash. To appease people like you I leave the leash attached and I just let go of it.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

As the owner of an extramly well trained dog, Ican walk my pup off leash and you would never know it.
    As an extremely good driver I can speed without causing accidents but the cops won't buy my argument when they go to ticket me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ins View Post

As the owner of an extramly well trained dog, Ican walk my pup off leash and you would never know it.
    As an extremely good driver I can speed without causing accidents but the cops won't buy my argument when they go to ticket me.
    If your gonna quote me please quote all of me.

My dog is on a leash.. I just don't use it.

^ So basically, what you're saying is that you're somehow special and above the law? Or that the bylaw doesn't apply to you because your dog is well-trained?
    Strathcona City Separatist

Sorry EDP the last sentence wasn't in your post when I quoted it.

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    Trust me, numerous people have taken her up on it. She's very old and "eccentric" to say the least.
    Old, eccentric and maybe dead if they turn on her.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Ins View Post

If your gonna quote me please quote all of me.

My dog is on a leash.. I just don't use it.
    If you're not holding onto the leash you're not in control of the dog as per the letter of the law:

Regulations Applying to Non Restricted Dogs
    OFF PROPERTY OF OWNER
    13 (1) The Owner or any other person having care or control of a Dog shall, at all times when it is off the property of the Owner, have it:
    (a) under control; and
    (b) held on a leash not exceeding two metres in length.
    (2) Repealed
    (S.6, Bylaw 13382, July 4, 2003)
    (3) When a Dog is within an Off Leash Area the Dog need not be held on a leash, however, the Owner or any other person having care or control of the Dog shall carry with them a leash for the Dog not exceeding two metres in length.
    (4) Subject to the requirements of section 13(1), the Owner or any other person having care or control of a Dog may have the Dog in any transit vehicle or facility of the City if the Dog is trained by a recognized agency to provide assistance to a person with a physical impairment and the person is using the Dog for such assistance.
    (5) Nothing in this section removes the obligation on a person to have a Dog under control when it is off the property of the Owner.

Note that this also means that the people with the retracting leashes let out >2 meters are also in violation of the leash laws.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

As the owner of an extramly well trained dog, I can walk my pup off leash and you would swear she is on leash. To appease people like you I leave the leash attached and I just let go of it.

I don't hate the dogs at all. I hate the owners who cannot follow a simple rule, and think that they are somehow better than others i.e. a better trained dog

How does my dog being off leash effect you is she

a) stays by my side
    b) doent jump up on you
    c) doesn't chae other dogs

How is being on a flex leash with a 20 foot free run area really that diffrent from being on leesh, how much control do you really have over your dog.

I am better than many dog owners.. I take the time to make sure my dog acts propperly and is well trained.

^ But you're still doing something illegal, and setting a poor example for others. I'm sure there are a lot of dog owners out there that thought their dogs were well-trained before something happened. What makes you so different?
    Strathcona City Separatist

I am better than many dog owners...
    Not until your dog is held on a leash at all times that are required by law.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

How does my dog being off leash effect you is she

a) stays by my side
    b) doent jump up on you
    c) doesn't chae other dogs

How is being on a flex leash with a 20 foot free run area really that diffrent from being on leesh, how much control do you really have over your dog.

I am better than many dog owners.. I take the time to make sure my dog acts propperly and is well trained.

I don’t think that your dogs training was ever the issue here, it’s your training that has everyone concerned.

First One is Always Free

I agree that if the dog is trained they should be able to walk without a leash. But there is no way to regulate that. And if they're trained, they shouldn't really be bothered by the leash anyway.

Dog owners have a notoriously skewed perception of their dogs.

One of the worst experiences of my life was being out walking my dog (on a leash, and no where near an off-leash area) and having a dog come tearing out from behind a fence to attack her.

In that case, the leash actually made things worse because she was tethered to me. So the @#$# dog was clamped around her neck while she was struggling to get away. She finally managed to pull herself out of her collar and take off.

And all of this was before the @#$# owner wandered over with half-assed apology.

I love dogs. But I don't like a lot of people.

Dog owners have a notoriously skewed perception of their dogs.
    Completely agreed in that respect. My friend has a terrier of some sort, and as far as she's concerned, he's the sweetest, nicest dog ever. Notwithstanding the fact that she has to muzzle the thing if anyone comes over, because it will attack any stranger that enters their home, no matter what the circumstance. She's at least realistic enough to muzzle it while out in public etc, but that was after it attacked a jogger badly enough that he reported her. Were it my dog, I would have put it down long ago. It's only a matter of time until the dog seriously maims someone, possibly a child, and I wouldn't want that on my conscience personally.

I tried to be cognizant of that when I had a dog growing up. He WAS the friendliest, sweetest dog ever. Never once attacked anyone or thing, and you could quite easily walk him without a leash without much problem (coyote or rabbit meant I'd just go home and wait for him to show up 30 minutes later covered in blood from ripping a toenail or something while chasing them).

But I was aware that he was a huge 120lb german shep that was incredibly intimidating for anyone who didn't know him, and was careful to make sure he didn't scare the bejeezus out of some poor soul walking by.

Here are some off leash parks in Millwoods.

http://www.dimd.nait.ca/~rszopa1/eleash/

Are there any fenced dog parks in Edmonton?

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Kirty View Post
    Are there any fenced dog parks in Edmonton?
    I'm not sure, but I do know the new Humane Society has a "Central Bark Off-leash Dog Park" that is fenced. It does cost a yearly rate, though.

Quote Originally Posted by coldhalo View Post
    Here are some off leash parks in Millwoods.

http://www.dimd.nait.ca/~rszopa1/eleash/
    site has been relocated

http://www.rylanszopa.com/sites/mill...f_leash_parks/
    Millwoods Off leash Parks - located in the South East of Edmonton. http://www.rylanszopa.com/sites/millwoods_off_leash_parks/

Are there any FENCED off leash areas in Edmonton?? I can't seem to find any - I have a blooodhound cross who will follow his nose once he catches a scent, so I can't let him off leash unless it's in a fenced area.

Is there a fine for having your dog off leash in a park not designated as being off leash? I can't find it on the city's website.

We just moved here and have a border collie who simply just wouldn't get the amount of exercise she needs without being off leash. Unfortunately we only have one vehicle which my husband uses for work and I have a young kid so getting to these parks has proven to be a challenge. The park near us is HUGE and rarely used and our dog is older and well trained. I always have a leash on me and always put her on if other dogs or kids are near but she's much more interested in the "work" aspect of getting the ball than of playing with/chasing other dogs, kids etc.

I'm just thinking it might be worth just risking it and paying the fine if it's not too huge.

Also I always clean up after her and often other dogs - the ones the "responsible" dog owners walk on a leash - and yet let them crap everywhere.....

Yes there is a fine. Even if you have the dog on a leash, and you are off the trail you can be fined.
    http://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_r...=&id=4d9aef311

It only takes one to start the trend, and next thing everyone will be there with their "perfect" dogs that never do anything bad.
    Last edited by JJMorrocco; 12-06-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added link

Default More off leash areas and activitites to do with your dog!

For more information on Edmonton Dog parks and off leash areas or just some fun outdoor activities to do with your dog, check out the links below!

http://sweb1.dmit.nait.ca/~askwarok1/DMIT208/project01/index.html

http://www.squidoo.com/outdoors-acti...-and-your-dog-

http://digg.com/news/lifestyle/edmon...ff_leash_areas

http://askwarok1.hubpages.com/hub/Ou...-with-your-dog

First One is Always Free

I just joined this site in the hopes of being able to connect with people in the Edmonton area, and I have to say, i am a little disappointed in the back and forth on here about EDP walking her dog on/off leash. I have to agree with noodle, the bylaw is the bylaw.

I am a dog trainer, and even though i know my dogs will never leave my side, i still keep them on leash when we are in the city. it isn't worth the hassle and arguments with other people. i loop my leash across my body, there is never any tension on my dog, but it is there to please the people that want to see it. Sometimes you have to pick you battles.

As for the off leash parks... please be aware of the dangers. not just of the wild animals, but of the sick people out there. I have heard of several reported cases of dogs eating poisoned meat in off leash parks, and now the latest craze is putting nails through pieces of cheese.

Know where your dogs are at all times! no matter where you are walking them! Better yet, teach your dog to only take treats from your hand!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Are there any FENCED off leash areas in Edmonton?? I can't seem to find any - I have a blooodhound cross who will follow his nose once he catches a scent, so I can't let him off leash unless it's in a fenced area.
    Try the Leduc dog park.

This might seem like a ridiculous question.
    Which park is the best for meeting single dog-walking girls in their 20's?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not ridiculous at all, and relevant to my uh, interests.

I'm not sure about their marital status, but Terwillegar Park always seems to be pretty busy with people in that age group.

Laurier off leash areas would be a good spot too... always lots of dogs and dog owners down there... especially right by the foot bridge where you can get to the river.

I wish I could say the same thing about Sherwood Park. There is only one park here for dogs. The park is beautiful, however you can only get there by car. It is completely outside of Sherwood Park itself. This hamlet is very upnosed and very unappreciative of dogs. Yet, a lot of people seem to enjoy the beauty of nature, as long as it does not involve the nature of dogs. It's sickening here, the attitude of people in regards to dogs. I am getting really sick and tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone View Post
    I wish I could say the same thing about Sherwood Park. There is only one park here for dogs. The park is beautiful, however you can only get there by car. It is completely outside of Sherwood Park itself. This hamlet is very upnosed and very unappreciative of dogs. Yet, a lot of people seem to enjoy the beauty of nature, as long as it does not involve the nature of dogs. It's sickening here, the attitude of people in regards to dogs. I am getting really sick and tired of it.
    Wow,

I have lived in Sherwood Park for about 30 years only recently moving, and one thing I have noticed and I even posted about on this very forum is that Sherwood Park is very inclusive of dogs, in the neighbourhood I lived in almost every single house had a dog, some like us, had two!

Yes there is only one off-leash area close to Sherwood Park, however to say that it"sickening" and the place is up-nosed sounds like you are having some other major issue with your pet. Have you been reported to bylaw for a violation? was it justified? do you allow your dog to bark at all hours?

Give us some details as to why it's sickening and so upsetting for you. I am a native strathcona resident and find myself and many I know in the area as the furthest from up-nosed. There may be some uppity people but they are everywhere, for the most part people in the Park are good folks

I have never had an issue with my dogs all large breeds by the way, various forms of German Shepherd usually, with a little something else mixed in.

Ken
    Last edited by KenL2; 26-07-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Default Fenced dog parks in Edmonton

Aside from the Humane Society on 137 Ave, are there other fenced off leash dog parks in Edmonton?

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post

I don't hate the dogs at all. I hate the owners who cannot follow a simple rule, and think that they are somehow better than others i.e. a better trained dog

So my truck nearly took out another of these "very well trained and obiedent' dogs last night. Its strange how a dog won't stay on command when a cat is within striking distance. Then I get threatened that if I would have run the dog over I would have been paying for it - ya good luck with that. And no I was not speeding and my brakes do work properly.

Now onto the rant about 311.....

off leash is only for dogs that listen/obey. Not for your stupid mutt that goes running after me on my bike, or disturbing other park users. Also, Laurier/buena vista park is not an 'exclusive use' dog only park, especially on the multi-use path that goes through the center of the park. Control your mutt. It's also not a doggy toilet. You still need to clean up after your dog.

To all the good dog owners: This message does not apply to you.

The city clearly needs to do more to educate people where the off leash dogs parts are. We have one in Mill Creek, but many dog owners feel it's the entire area (it's the Eastern side of the creek south of the Whyte Ave bridge). I've gotten into a few verbal altercations with dog owners who have no control over their dogs as they rush me and my on-leash dog. Unfortunately the city doesn't seem interested in doing anything. Spend an hour in Mill Creek in the evening and you could write 10 tickets quite easily.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Yes signage would help- but the city won't as they say it become 'sign pollution". There should be signs on entrances and exits to parks that state you are entering/exiting an off leash area. I don't recall seeing this at any Goldbar access points.

They have those signs at the Mill Creek off-leash area. They also put up some signs going into the creek area that reminded people that they needed to have their dogs on leash at all times. Those were quickly defaced and then removed (and I'm guessing it wasn't by the city).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    They have those signs at the Mill Creek off-leash area. They also put up some signs going into the creek area that reminded people that they needed to have their dogs on leash at all times. Those were quickly defaced and then removed (and I'm guessing it wasn't by the city).
    This has happened at the Strathcona CL outdoor rink as well. Folks have taken to using it as a dog run during the summer. Someone (I'm assuming the CL) put up signs stating no dogs in the rink (not the park mind you, just the rink) and some aholes have ripped the signs down after a week or so.
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Users of the Grand Trunk off leash park are asking the C of E to put a fence around this park. I no longer have a dog but when I did I would drive to this park as it was a great size for Fido to stretch his legs. I did see a fair amount of close calls when dogs would stray past the grass. If the C of E can blow millions on photo radar fiascos I think they could pony up for a chain link fence.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...237/story.html
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Fence is needed there. I've seen a few was-dog splotches on the road in my 3.5 years using 113A st and 127 Ave frequently.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quite a few friends use that dog park, they've noted in the past that it should be fenced
    Parkdale

It should only take a day and couple hundred bucks to put up a temporary snow fence until a permanent solution can make its slow progression through all the funding and approvals.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    It should only take a day and couple hundred bucks to put up a temporary snow fence until a permanent solution can make its slow progression through all the funding and approvals.
    I'd rather see dead dogs than orange plastic flapping in the wind for a decade, and I'm sure homeowners bordering it would agree.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Well that's a bit morbid and tasteless

But there should be no reason for a snow fence along there. The city should be able to pony up fro a proper fence
    Parkdale

Glad to see the C of E is reviewing dog parks. It would be great if the areas for dogs could be fenced. Fido can run around without fear of getting lost or run over. Park patrons can have their turf, Fido his/hers.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Revie...067/story.html

Alex Decoteau Park off-leash area opens September 9.