Thread: Speed Limits

Default Speed Limits

I have a problem with Edmonton's speed limits. Not just one road or one freeway, but many roads and all freeways. I will start with my disgust for freeway speed limits.

Lets start on Whitemud freeway. A posted limit of 80 km/h on a road that can easily be driven at 100 km/h. The average speed limit of every car must already be a little over 100 as I get passed even when im going around 100. I was given an excuse by a city councillor that the road had too many curves where you could not control your car if the speed limit was over 80 km/h. There are two curves on the whole freeway around tewilleger and then before 149 st. If you want then make the speed limit around those corners 10 km/h less then the rest of the freeway. But I have driven the whole whitemud at 120 km/h. Yes, sure thats cleary breaking the law and I'm lucky I haven't been caught but I'm trying to prove a point that this city's roads are living in slow motion. I drove to California last summer and was infatuated with their 130 km/h freeways. It was a breath of fresh air. I know our freeways can't go 130 because they're not 7 lanes wide though. But at least take a good idea from Calgary and make our freeways 100. If anyone is interested in making this change possible then join the fight. A quick addition to my rant is the speed limit of 90 km/h on Anthony Henday which is way too slow for a road that is basically a major highway.

My second beef with the speed limits revolve around arterial roads. The base speed limit for these roads is 60 km/h and a good amount of them should be 70 or 80. Simply put I just want this city to be considered on an international scale and with a slow transportation system, we will continued to be laughed at by those who drive through this city.

Speed limits in Edmonton are set perfectly in line to catch speeders. Nobody goes the speed limit on the freeways so the cops have their pick of any car they wish at any time to make a little quick cash. Please give some feedback and join me in making this city advance.

Arterial roadway speeds in Calgary typically seem to be 10-20 km higher than in Edmonton for similar-type roads.

grish

I know we have cars capable of driving faster. However, consider this:
    for an average drive of 20km, one would save about 3 min of time if the speed were to be 70km/hr instead of 60km/hr. To drive the length of Whitemud (say 40km) at 100km/hr instead of 80km/hr would save approx 6 min.
    True the roads can be made faster, but the savings in time are not so significant. If you want to get around edmonton in the most efficient way, work on the traffic flow and the reduced number of traffic lights with better interchanges. I think I spend more than 3 or 6 minutes at a traffic light on any given commute. As for Whitemud and the YEllowhead, I think having the posted limit of 100km/hr while you are crawling at 5km/hr due to another stall or traffic congestion will be much more madenning

I'd rather C2E than work!

I agree, the speed limit on whitemud could be raised to 90km/h, with a 100 km/h limit west of 170 St and east of 91 St. Yellowhead could be 90km/h between 50 St and 66St, 80km/h from 66 St to 124 St and 90 or 100 km/h west of 149 St.
    A few other suggestions:
    70km/h on 170 St and Mayfield road
    60km/h on 83 St north of the Bonnie Doon traffic circle, 112Av between 82St and Wayne Gretzky drive, 101 Av east of Wayne Gretzky drive

C2E Hard Core Contributor

YES!! I'll take it a step further. Highways like 2 and 16 should be 130. Modern cars are fully capable of higher average speeds like this. Money cops lose on speeding tickets could be made up enforcing rules to ensure the roads move efficiently. Ticketing people for driving slow moving, oil burning, and unsafely loaded beaters. For every car I passed pulled over for speeding I see a handful of POS's that should not be on the road.

First One is Always Free

Default What can we do about it

Greetings,
    I believe that the speed limits are a joke. They should be a lot higher. It's just a way for the gov't to fine people. The bigger question is what can be done about it? Is there a petition on line or even a group?

Snakeoids.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Well, I am not so much in the belief that this is just a way to fine people. There will be non-government people who will argue that the limits are too high right now.

I'll bet that if Highway 2 was 120 km/h as a posted limit, you'd get people doing 130 constantly. Post it at 130, they'd do 140. Anything to push the limits.

HWY 2 also was speed limit free for a section at one time on a trial, and the accidents exponentially increased. People in Alberta can't drive at times, and we factor in speed???

Sure, the Whitemud is artificially low. AHD at 90 is stupid. Those can be dealt with.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    I'll bet that if Highway 2 was 120 km/h as a posted limit, you'd get people doing 130 constantly. Post it at 130, they'd do 140. Anything to push the limits.
    Yes, some people would do just that, but many would not. Most drivers, left to their own devices, will drive at a speed near the design speed of the highway they are driving on. In the case of hwy 2 that is 130km/h, so a posted limit of 120km/h with a 15km/h enforcement tolerance or 130km/h with strict enforcement would be about right.

HWY 2 also was speed limit free for a section at one time on a trial, and the accidents exponentially increased. People in Alberta can't drive at times, and we factor in speed???.
    When was that?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48
    Yes, some people would do just that, but many would not. Most drivers, left to their own devices, will drive at a speed near the design speed of the highway they are driving on.
    How in the world would they know the design limit of the highway, or their cars for that case? For my Avalanche, just because it CAN do 130 mph doesn't mean that I should push it there.

When was that?
    If I remember the story right, mid 70's. It was something my father and other parents bragged about when I was younger. I'll try to find out when exactly this was.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

How in the world would they know the design limit of the highway, or their cars for that case? For my Avalanche, just because it CAN do 130 mph doesn't mean that I should push it there.
    The design speed sets the requirements for things like curve radii and sight distances. The longer these are, the faster people tend to drive, regardless of the posted limit.
    The province of BC commissioned a study a few years ago (http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications...iew_Report.pdf) that recomended raising several speed limits, including raising the Coquihalla to 120km/h.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Most drivers I know have absolutely no understanding of highway design, why speedway ovals are banked, or why rev limiters and speed limiters are in new cars...that is my point.

They will push and push and push becasue they can!

HWY 2 also was speed limit free for a section at one time on a trial, and the accidents exponentially increased. People in Alberta can't drive at times, and we factor in speed???
    I'm amazed we can't solve this problem. Driver test are a joke and the system should clearly be changed. But at least new drivers can't drive between certain hours and have limited occupants...way to avoid the problem.

Sure, the Whitemud is artificially low. AHD at 90 is stupid. Those can be dealt with.
    Henday does seem to miss the point of a ring road, stuck as it is at only 90. The problem there (at least in the west end) is the ludicrous intrusion of stop lights. And as much as faster might be nicer, it is jarring to travel at highway speeds from stop light to stop light.

I understand the newest sections will be better. But so short-sighted the way they have built it now. No trucks will bother with Henday if they have to stop every couple of kilometers.

What does seem bizzare to me is 170th at 60 km/h. It should be at least 70. It "feels like" a 70 road.

This City likes low speed limits...I just don't know why. Roads here tend to be 10 km/h - 20 km/h lower than comparable roads in other Cities. Anyone care to guess why?

Partially Addicted to C2E

Makes is that much easier to catch people speeding with artificially low speed limits. Therefore city/police revenue is increased.

Back in the days before photo radar, this city was known to have by far the highest rate of traffic violations handed out per capita of any mid or large sized north american city. Not sure how the data skews now with all the photo traps around but its likely a similar scenario. Just that these days less people complain because they don't have to worry about losing their license after too many photo radar tickets show up in the mailbox.

Maybe they should lower the speed limits even more and ramp up enforcement... we could build that fancy bridge everyone here wants in no time... and put the speed limit on it at 40kph... get the pic

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT
    YES!! I'll take it a step further. Highways like 2 and 16 should be 130. Modern cars are fully capable of higher average speeds like this. Money cops lose on speeding tickets could be made up enforcing rules to ensure the roads move efficiently. Ticketing people for driving slow moving, oil burning, and unsafely loaded beaters. For every car I passed pulled over for speeding I see a handful of POS's that should not be on the road.
    /\ This is why Alberta should enact a law that requires all vehicles built before 1990 or something to complete mandatory emmissions testing. A vehicle that meets the standards can be registered, and others that don't have two options: to spend the money and upgrade their exhaust system to meet todays standards or buy a new/used vehicle.

I guarantee you that this will reduce the number of POS's on our roads big time..

Quote Originally Posted by lux
    Henday does seem to miss the point of a ring road, stuck as it is at only 90. The problem there (at least in the west end) is the ludicrous intrusion of stop lights. And as much as faster might be nicer, it is jarring to travel at highway speeds from stop light to stop light.

I understand the newest sections will be better. But so short-sighted the way they have built it now. No trucks will bother with Henday if they have to stop every couple of kilometers.
    The Henday is being built to accommodate speeds of 130km/h. The reason why the Henday is at 90 at this point is due to the fact that there are at-grade intersections along the SW portion. When the grade-separated interchanges are constructed the speed will be increased accordingly. I believe the SE Henday will be 110km/h once completed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT
    /\ This is why Alberta should enact a law that requires all vehicles built before 1990 or something to complete mandatory emmissions testing. A vehicle that meets the standards can be registered, and others that don't have two options: to spend the money and upgrade their exhaust system to meet todays standards or buy a new/used vehicle.

I guarantee you that this will reduce the number of POS's on our roads big time..
    Why stop at emmisions? Any aspect that is unsafe or hazardous be it dangerously cracked windows or worn suspension should be tested or checked. I'm all for it.

Another speed limit complaint: What's with the perpetual construction zone on Gateway/ Calgary trail between 23 Av and Ellerslie Rd? 9 out of 10 times I go through there there is no one working! Outside the city on highway 2 the construction zone signs get covered up and the speed limit returns to normal when the workers go home. Why not there?

First One is Always Free

I bought a new Jeep TJ in December and have been in Edmonton 6 or 7 times in the past two months. Gas prices being what they are, the difference in mileage between 90ish and a remotely safe 120ish on the QE2 is striking. I've found myself actually taking 2A more and more and the real difference in my arrival time is essentially meaningless to my life while enjoying a near 50% mileage advantage - at least with my Jeep.

Just a note too that Texas recently introduced the first 80 mph limits in the USA on two interstates there. They found in the past going from 70 to 75 that accidents and fatalities actually went down on the affected arteries. There will likely be more 80 mph freeways there and elsewhere. Anyone's who's driven the Boston-New York I-95 corridor will know that 80 is best travelled on the shoulder for safety's sake. 80 through Connecticut is basically parked in a lane.

First One is Always Free

If you want to drive fast go to a race track. Roads and highways are meant for all types of traffic comercial and private.

Maybe you are a great driver and are comfortable driving at 120 and can do it with great skill. But maybe the guy with a 40,000 lb. load isn't comfortable driving that fast in the city.

In order to drive safely we all need to being doing the same speed. I'm a proffesional driver with over thirty years experience and I tell you right now that you are a hazard. You are not the only one on the road. You are not getting anywhere faster by speeding.

Yes I get frustrated by the little old lady going twenty clicks under the speed limit but you put on the miles that I have and you will see that the biggest hazard on the roads are jerks that are speeding and when they pile up I see the worst accidents.

I don't like seeing the accidents. I don't like getting delayed by them and I don't like paying higher health care costs, insurance costs and extra taxes for emergency crews that arize form speeders.

Show some consideration for other drivers on the road. Obey the rules slow down and grow up.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Leadfoots rejoice
    City looking at raising speed limits

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmo...2/2327438.html

Here is the article...

Sun, November 12, 2006
    Leadfoots rejoice
    City looking at raising speed limits

By FRANK LANDRY, City Hall Bureau

Leadfoots rejoice – the city is looking at bumping up the speed limit on a portion of Yellowhead Trail and parts of Anthony Henday Drive.

And some councillors say it’s worth at least considering increasing the posted top speed on Whitemud Drive.

“In some areas of the city there’s a need to re-examine the speed limit just to ensure more freeflow,” Coun. Linda Sloan told the Sun Sunday.

“But there has to be a balance between having a reasonable speed and making sure we’re not causing more accidents.”

Sloan said she would support a review of the speed limit on the Whitemud, where drivers are currently limited to 80 kmh.

City council Tuesday will consider a number of speed limit changes.

Among them is bumping up the limit to 90 kmh from 80 kmh on Yellowhead Trail, between 156 Street and 184 Street.

A city reports states the changes are being considered because of recent roadway upgrades, including the completion of the 156 Street overpass.

City officials are also recommending a speed limit increase to 70 kmh from 60 kmh at existing controlled intersections on Anthony Henday Drive.

Those intersections include Lessard Road, 62 Avenue, 100 Avenue and Stony Plain Road, according to a new city document.

There is no mention of a higher top speed on the Whitemud.

Coun. Karen Leibovici said she hears complaints that the limit is too slow in the Whitemud.

“I’ve also heard it from the other side – that we should leave it at 80 kmh.”

Leibovici said people tend to drive 10 kmh above the posted speed limit anyway. She said she’s concerned if the limit was boosted to 90 kmh on the Whitemud, motorists would drive 100 kmh.

“I don’t know if I’d be in favour of increasing it,” she said. “I would want to know what the reasons are for keeping it at the current speed.”

Both Sloan and Leibovici said they are in favour of the higher speed on the Yellowhead and the changes on the Henday.

Coun. Michael Phair said the number of exits on the Whitemud would make it dangerous to increase the speed limit.

However, he said it should be reviewed once a new interchange is constructed at Terwillegar Drive and the Quesnell Bridge is widened, but that’s still several years away.

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH
    Coun. Michael Phair said the number of exits on the Whitemud would make it dangerous to increase the speed limit.
    Increasing the length of the exit and merge lanes will solve that problem.

May 8, 2017

110km/h speed limit on Anthony Henday Drive? Edmonton police chief supports the idea

By Caley Ramsay

http://globalnews.ca/news/3436296/11...orts-the-idea/

That's good news. It's designed for it anyway, and it would be consistent with the intercity highways it connects to.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    That's good news. It's designed for it anyway, and it would be consistent with the intercity highways it connects to.
    The actual speed southbound between Stony Plain Road and Whitemud at the afternoon rush hour is usually 60.

Raising the speed limits would just entitle the fraction of dangerous creep pieces of shіt to tail, swerve, and block even more.

^That's no reason to maintain lower speed on the remaining 80+km that don't see those conditions.
    There can only be one.

^ The whole thing is 77km around.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd love it to go up to 110. I don't think it'll change much though. Anyone that wants to go 110-120 already do, and those that want to stay at 80 so they don't have to use the brakes when they make their exit in 12km will continue to hold everyone else up.

And people will still park at the side of the road waiting for a break in traffic instead of learning to merge.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I was in the left lane on the Henday this weekend and had to slam on my brakes several times because some @$$%^&* two cars ahead decides to be a pace car and do 20 km/h below the limit instead of move right and get out of the way.

The Henday is pretty much built to the same standards as Stoney Trail which has a 110 km/h limit. I'd be fine with the increase.

Most people are still going to drive the way they do now, the only difference is that the majority of drivers (which tend to drive at 105-110) will be able to do 110 without getting a photo radar ticket.

The majority do not drive at 110. Those who do, believe everyone does it.

I think the limit should be 90 all around. With maximal enforcement.

They need to to back and revisit everything from QE2 west around to 127 St. The entire west ring is brutal. The new NE leg is glorious, while the SE is not ideal but serviceable. Only real gripe with the SE leg is when heading westbound, people will drive 80km/h in the right lane the entire way before exiting at QE2/Gateway for no good reason. NE leg... with up to 5 lanes you can floor it and find ways around slow idiots.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^^Yes they do. I drive at the limit, and most traffic is slightly faster than me.

^^^I strongly disagree.

Driving 90 in more a hazard that going slightly over IMO. Also as someone who drives on the highway everyday to work, people usually go anywhere from 100-120.

SE is a good design. NE has excessive lanes in some parts and excessive shoulders. I find it mind-numbing to drive when you can barely see anything that isn't highway.
    There can only be one.

As usual, the entitled show off their hormonal imbalance but have no brains to speak of.

It's not about the ability to drive fast. It's about the ability to conform -- in this case, to the least common denominator of driving.

Roads are not built to be driven at their design speed. They are built to be driven on safely -- and this safety is determined by the slow drivers as well as the fast ones.

Anyone without the patience to accommodate the slowpokes presents the real danger, has no right to drive, and must be castrated of driving license forthwith.

Go with the flow

Driving 30 km/hr faster is just as dangerous as driving 30km/slower than the average. That is why many highways have minimum speed limits.

Road conditions and weather excepted
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    They need to to back and revisit everything from QE2 west around to 127 St. The entire west ring is brutal. The new NE leg is glorious, while the SE is not ideal but serviceable. Only real gripe with the SE leg is when heading westbound, people will drive 80km/h in the right lane the entire way before exiting at QE2/Gateway for no good reason. NE leg... with up to 5 lanes you can floor it and find ways around slow idiots.
    The SW is going to take some work and $ to fix. They should extend the merge lane from the 127 St. right-out all the way to 111 St. That's something they could do as a temporary fix until the interchange can be built. They should also extend the deceleration lane for the right-in farther back. The 119 St. deceleration and acceleration lanes could also be extended, all the way from the 111 St. off-ramp to farther up the road. Unfortunately, they'd have to go back to 2 lanes before the Whitemud Creek bridge, until that can be widened.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post

I think the limit should be 90 all around.
    Geez, what kind of vehicle do you drive?

When I drove the sportier cars I've owned on highways and in the mountains, etc. I thought the speed limit was excruciating too low. Good visibility, control, braking and handling made it seem like I was crawling along - because I was - for those vehicles. However, when I got into the Odyssey or the Pilot and others, they were such horrible driving cars that I thought those vehicles should be governed to not exceed 90 km/h!

SLOW MERGER-ERS:
    I pulled onto the Anthony Henday yesterday at the 111 st overpass, behind a minivan. The driver continued right on into the right lane at 80 km/h despite ample on ramp to at least get up to 90 to closer match the traffic flow. This happens to me every few days. Once on the Henday they speed up to the traffic flow in the right lane - having screwed it up throughout behind them. - Sick narcissistic drivers they be. (to adopt your tone of conversation)
    Last edited by KC; 09-05-2017 at 12:48 PM.

As usual, the entitled show off their hormonal imbalance but have no brains to speak of.

It's not about the ability to drive fast. It's about the ability to conform -- in this case, to the least common denominator of driving.

Roads are not built to be driven at their design speed. They are built to be driven on safely -- and this safety is determined by the slow drivers as well as the fast ones.

Anyone without the patience to accommodate the slowpokes presents the real danger, has no right to drive, and must be castrated of driving license forthwith.
    Similarly, slowpokes aren't accommodating the 'deserving of castration' drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
    The Henday is pretty much built to the same standards as Stoney Trail which has a 110 km/h limit. I'd be fine with the increase.

Most people are still going to drive the way they do now, the only difference is that the majority of drivers (which tend to drive at 105-110) will be able to do 110 without getting a photo radar ticket.
    Stoney trail is 100 like the Henday, but it should also be increased to at least 110 km/h.

Nonsense. Roads are built to driven at the design speed. That is the definition of "design speed" - the maximum speed at which the road can be safely driven under good conditions, by a vehicle meeting the minimum legal standards for operation on a highway. Any vehicle that cannot be safely operated at the design speed under good conditions should not be allowed on the road without a special permit.

If we didn't want people driving 120-130 km/h on the Henday, it should not have been built to a 130 km/h design speed. That could have saved hundreds of millions of dollars in grading and paving costs and allowed more intuitive interchanges.

127/119 street in the SW portion henday will see the city build the on/off ramps where the proper interchange will go, but not actually build the interchange till a later date. This will move the intersection further to the west, which will allow of longer on/off ramps.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48
    If we didn't want people driving 120-130 km/h on the Henday, it should not have been built to a 130 km/h design speed. That could have saved hundreds of millions of dollars in grading and paving costs and allowed more intuitive interchanges.

This is what bothers me the most with artificially low speed limits, and especially on road systems that cost billions of dollars to build. If the public authorities have zero intention of allowing drivers to travel at the speed that roads are designed for, why are we bothering to build to those high standards? It's a complete waste of money.

So there are a few reasons why it might be reasonable to set the speed limit even higher than the design speed in some cases.

^ a few reasons, but from my armchair gathering of infos over the year, it's more likely that the operating speed will almost always be lower than the design speed. Many of those reasons are for safety or environment. The QEII has in parts a design speed of 130 km/h, but the operating speed is less because of older infrastructure with dangerous/short on ramps in the cloverleaf design, farm accesses, types of vehicles that use this road... Many semis have a hard time getting to 100 km/h. Having everyone else at 130+ would be crazy.

I've seen some interstate highways that speed limits of 65 mph, but if you have 3 or more axles you are limited to 55 mph. There's plenty of reasons why speed limits are set...

lots of reading on this subject... just google design speed vs operating speed for starters.

http://www.tac-atc.ca/sites/tac-atc....evisions-e.pdf

Design speed really boils down to the initial design of the section of road they are designing. They are designing the curves of the road, or ramp accesses for speeds of up to <130 km/h or whatever> but that doesn't necessary mean the whole road from point a to b is built that way.

^ So, good roadway design requires consistency. Putting an 80 km/h curve in a road that otherwise meets requirements for 130 km/h or more is a bad idea. If it is unavoidable, the speed limit should be set for the characteristics of the rest of the road with warning signs and advisory speed limits at the unusual feature.

^^ A truck that can't maintain 110 km/h on highway 2 does not belong on highway 2. Most can and do maintain the current speed limit easily. There are 2 cloverleafs left (highway 13 and 53) and one is slated for conversion to a parclo soon. There are a handful of little-used at-grade intersections between Calgary and Red Deer. Meanwhile, over in BC the Coquihalla has a 120 km/h limit despite extended grades that force trucks down to 50-60 km/h. Portions of the island highway are 120 km/h with short sections of 90 km/h a few hundred meters ahead of intersections with traffic lights, while here in Alberta traffic lights on highways result in 70 km/h zones.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

I think the limit should be 90 all around.
    Geez, what kind of vehicle do you drive?

When I drove the sportier cars I've owned on highways and in the mountains, etc. I thought the speed limit was excruciating too low. Good visibility, control, braking and handling made it seem like I was crawling along - because I was - for those vehicles. However, when I got into the Odyssey or the Pilot and others, they were such horrible driving cars that I thought those vehicles should be governed to not exceed 90 km/h!

SLOW MERGER-ERS:
    I pulled onto the Anthony Henday yesterday at the 111 st overpass, behind a minivan. The driver continued right on into the right lane at 80 km/h despite ample on ramp to at least get up to 90 to closer match the traffic flow. This happens to me every few days. Once on the Henday they speed up to the traffic flow in the right lane - having screwed it up throughout behind them. - Sick narcissistic drivers they be. (to adopt your tone of conversation)
    Congratulation, another lunk.

I tend to speed a little, actually, usually about 0-5 over the posted speed. But it the speed limit drops, I don't become a raging whining full-on fool about it -- I slow down. I know I would be a better driver if I never sped.

The 100 on Henday works worse than the 80 on Whitemud because far more people are unable or unwilling to go more than about 85 whatever the road they are on. I have found that darting in and out of lanes to maintain a speed wastes nerves and does not save time.

In other words, conform more to the slowpokes, and get there just as fast, and more calmly.

That is something lunks will not understand, until one day the fates decree they will experience a roll-over, crash through the windshield, and have to deal with the pain that follows. Unfortunately.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium
    Meanwhile, over in BC the Coquihalla has a 120 km/h limit despite extended grades that force trucks down to 50-60 km/h. Portions of the island highway are 120 km/h with short sections of 90 km/h a few hundred meters ahead of intersections with traffic lights, while here in Alberta traffic lights on highways result in 70 km/h zones.

Yup, it's extremely noticeable driving on Vancouver Island. Most of the major roads around Nanaimo remain at 80 or 90, even with lights.