Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BMO Building (101 St. & 102 Ave.) | Discussion

Blow it up the same way they blew up Tegler

C2E Long Term Contributor

I'd love a giant department store their, but that is unlikely.

How great would it be to rebuild the Tegler facade with a modern tower above.

That said, I absolutely love the proportions of this thing and would miss it.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

I wonder if there's something along the lines of arts or entertainment could also work. It's next to Rice Howard Way and near shopping and LRT.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I wonder if there's something along the lines of arts or entertainment could also work. It's next to Rice Howard Way and near shopping and LRT.
    Such as? It’s a pretty massive building.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Such as? It’s a pretty massive building.
    The Opera House. And possibly ultra high end condos on top if the structure could support it.

C2E SME

The old BMO building is about the same area as the Vancouver Opera.

C2E SME

Opera house there would be nice although I doubt the Edm Opera has the money to move on a project like that.
    I would like to see a high rise with a retail podium that could be home to a major retailer (if any still exist anymore).

Downtown's landmark Bank of Montreal building could soon be history

"We could just hold the site. Or we could do it Regency-style, and be aggressive. We're no strangers to tall."

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...oon-be-history
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'm game if it does not sit like a wasteland until they are ready to develope. Four wishes from me:

1). Replicate the Tegler facade and turn that portion into a hotel with several additional floors: that portion will look modern.
    2). 10-15 floors designated as work/live concept akin to that tower proposed before Encore finally came to fruition.
    3)Rougly 10 floors for rental.
    4).Roughly 10+ floors for condos- pending on demand.

Overall, I'm wishing for a height somewhere around 165-170 m just so the skyline will be balanced.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Just going to put this idea out there.

Edmonton is going to need a new court house. Current building is 45 - 50 years old.

The original Edmonton courthouse was built in 1908 and demolished in 1972 to make way for the construction of Edmonton Centre.

Now think of this beauty: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...d-50-years-ago
    With a tower on top.

Whether 101 Street and 102 Avenue is that location is another story. I suspect the Quarters might be a nice place for a new courthouse.

That building would have made a great podium for a tower.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

as per the courthouse, it is more pragmatic to have it directly across from the police station for countless reason, but replicating that gorgeous former building as a podium would be an awesome idea if financially feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    as per the courthouse, it is more pragmatic to have it directly across from the police station for countless reason, but replicating that gorgeous former building as a podium would be an awesome idea if financially feasible.
    Why police hq all the baddys are at remand by your logic it would be better to put it next to that.

police are required at times to be at court. so time, tax payers money, and police manpower are of essence.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Why police hq all the baddys are at remand by your logic it would be better to put it next to that.
    you might want to spend a bit of time at the courthouse before you make that argument...

yes, sometimes there may be someone in the courtroom from the remand centre but that’s only if it’s a criminal and not a civil trial.

in addition to that person however, there will be judges and lawyers and plaintiffs and defendants and court reporters and sheriffs and jurors and witnesses and family and friends and students and media...

many of these people already work or live downtown and many of those who don’t rely on public transit and downtown is the most convenient hub for the region.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E SME

The courthouse also requires security

The podium for a new Tegler/BMO tower can still be a department store - if unworkable, break up into smaller CRUs.

A department store would be fitting in a way since the Tegler was a Zellers in its final years of existence.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...bang-1.3897149
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

So wait, they blew up a perfectly good building and was sitting as a parking lot till bmo made up its mind. What the actual **** man why didnt they just use the building instead of blowing the thing up or in

The Tegler Building was falling apart from neglect though before it was demolished, from my personal observations. I was working there years ago in it's final few months (not at Zeller's) it was a shame to see it get replaced by BMO.

C2E Posting Power

So wait, they blew up a perfectly good building and was sitting as a parking lot till bmo made up its mind. What the actual **** man why didnt they just use the building instead of blowing the thing up or in
    Thats old news Darth Vader.....if you were from here you would have already known that......troll and seek life elsewhere .....

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Thats old news Darth Vader.....if you were from here you would have already known that......troll and seek life elsewhere .....
    What? i was 2 years old and living in the city when this happend how does this make me a troll???
    Last edited by Dark Magnus; 30-10-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: watched it again and found out it was 82 it happend in

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    The Tegler Building was falling apart from neglect though before it was demolished, from my personal observations. I was working there years ago in it's final few months (not at Zeller's) it was a shame to see it get replaced by BMO.
    Ah thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    I've lived here since 1980 and I didn't know it either.

Ah thanks
    If the developers really want to do something big, they should bring back a recreation of the Tegler as the podium for a possible high rise on the space. I think we realize now we went overboard in the early 80's trying to destroy our history. With the Kelly Ramsay building and the Alberta Hotel coming back, we are trying to repair that a bit and I really hope we will continue to do so.

Global did a story on this tonight.
    https://twitter.com/GlobalEdmonton/s...64946249334784

Highlights:
    Mixed use with hotel, offices and residential
    40-45 stories
    Tegler facade, fixtures and history under consideration

While I'd like limestone and brick for the facade, even molded concrete to replicated to cornices and lintels and brick veneer would be nice, be cool to see the Tegler Building re-appear.

C2E SME

One thing that could really be nice is to have some of the old façade along the same side of the KR building along Rice Howard way. A mixed podium (as in the Enbridge Building) housing mixed use would be great. Especially if it could bring more activity and live to the sidewalks along the stretches of the building.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Oh gad, No. The last thing we need is some sort of faux reproduction of a building long gone. It would look like Main Street USA from Disneyland.

As much as I'd have preferred to save the Tegler, it's gone for the most part (A tiny bit was integrated into the new portion of the rebuilt Alberta Hotel and some bricks were used on Tegler Manor on 110 st.). It wasn't dismantled like the KR buildings were. It was blown up.

Last edited by kkozoriz; 31-10-2017 at 02:05 AM.

I disagree kk. I think it would be great. It's nice to know there are still developers around with these good ideas. This is in the heart of the financial district. I would like to see a Tegler facade, a mixed use 50 storey building similar to a Bankers Hall style of tower. When can we get started. Very exciting!
    Last edited by Drumbones; 31-10-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Oh gad, No. The last thing we need is some sort of faux reproduction of a building long gone. It would look like Main Street USA from Disneyland.

As much as I'd have preferred to save the Tegler, it's gone for the most part (A tiny bit was integrated into the new portion of the rebuilt Alberta Hotel and some bricks were used on Tegler Manor on 110 st.). It wasn't dismantled like the KR buildings were. It was blown up.

Nothing wrong with faux reproductions. That’s almost what was just done to great praise next door. New mortar and possibly a lot of new brick to replace failing and damaged brick. Then new glass and window frames - all topped off with a huge tower. That said, my view is that a totally different retro-look would also be loved but would face a lot of initial criticism (of course) but after 5, 10, 20 years people would love many retro looking buildings even if they lack a tie in to the site’s history.

Additionally a lot of the world’s buildings may have undergone modifications over decades or centuries and they are still highly valued and praised.
    Last edited by KC; 31-10-2017 at 07:58 AM.

Blow it up the same way they blew up Tegler
    Love it! Too bad it’s inanimate- are it’s architect and developers still alive? (Would sweeten the revenge.)

Though I don’t mind the look of the BMO, it could have been built somewhere else without destroying a recognized heritage asset.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    While it may be an unpopular view here, I think this building is one of the nicest modern low rise buildings downtown. The inside is airy and open (maybe the office levels are different). There is great visual communication between the outside and inside - good for street level 'interaction'. As a bank building (I realize it's no longer being fully utilized as such), it's got perfect outside architecture. The corner stone pillars are oversized to give a solid appearance. The stout figure accentuates this. This is balanced by all the glass (not mirror glazed for once), which gives it an inviting feel which you'd expect in a public bank.

I, for one, would hope a lot more buildings get replaced before this one does.
    If it had been more open to the street at the corner it could have been much more accessible and the corner big ‘pillar’ appreciated - as happens when someone walks amongst the great pillars of great buildings with a roof far above them. As is, it’s just a big glass cube that looks better from a distance. (Nothing about it drew anyone inside and the giant glass walls separating people on the outside from the inside, were just that, walls.)

Note in the photos below access, parking, awnings etc between then and now. (Actual people were an afterthought to the BMO architect trying make a cool looking street corner ‘box’.)

http://cdn.skyrisecities.com/sites/d...5623-89386.png

https://postmediaedmontonjournal2.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/ea-796-3.jpg?w=1400

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...oon-be-history

Looking Back at the Old Tegler Block in Downtown Edmonton | SkyriseEdmonton

http://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/ne...ntown-edmonton

https://cdn.yegishome.ca/news/2013/1...5c521dc224.jpg

http://ww2.glenbow.org/dbimages/arcnc/1/l/nc-6-680.jpg
    Last edited by KC; 31-10-2017 at 08:59 AM.

The idea of blowing up one of the few actually nice buildings we have downtown on the basis of some fairy tale is absolutely insane.

How many people on C2E constantly moan about all of the old buildings we've torn down in this city over the years? How exactly do you think those decisions were made? Do you think when our predecessors tore down the law courts building they were making a conscious decision to replace a beautiful piece of the city's urban fabric with a brown pre-cast shopping mall? No--they were listening to some shyster developer selling them a story about some beautiful abstract future to replace something which at the time was seen as out-of-fashion and dingy, and listing all of the million reasons why it would be absolutely impossible to save it. This is exactly the same story, and once again we're all gullible enough to buy it.

Buildings like this are history! History isn't some grifter building a disneyland facade (and, if Regency's resume is any guide, doing an absolute p1ss-poor job of it--if the building even gets built at all). If people on this site actually care about preserving whatever shreds remain of this city's built fabric they should be phoning their councilors and demanding they stop this travesty.
    Last edited by bleppers; 31-10-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bleppers View Post
    The idea of blowing up one of the few actually nice buildings we have downtown on the basis of some fairy tale is absolutely insane.

How many people on hear constantly moan about all of the old buildings we've torn down in this city over the years? How exactly do you think those decisions were made? Do you think when our predecessors tore down the law courts building they were making a conscious decision to replace a beautiful piece of the city's urban fabric with a brown pre-cast shopping mall? No--they were listening to some shyster developer selling them a story about some beautiful abstract future to replace something which at the time was seen as out-of-fashion and dingy, and listing all of the million reasons why it would be absolutely impossible to save it. This is exactly the same story, and once again we're all gullible enough to buy it.

Buildings like this are history! History isn't some grifter building a disneyland facade (and, if Regency's resume is any guide, doing an absolute ****-poor job of it--if the building even gets built at all). If people on this site actually care about preserving whatever shreds remain of this city's built fabric they should be phoning their councilors and demanding they stop this travesty.
    Well said. However, out with the old and in with the new - even better if it 'Blow'd up real good". Build a Tegler look-a-like with a shiny new glass box on top and we can have it all!

In this case, just make the glass block look a bit like this now useless asset and everyone would be happy.

BTW, I can't find that great detailed blow-by-blow article posted to c2e on how the Tegler came to be ripped down and how all the developer promises of a great new towering work project - in the end became the current short little BMO box.

If anyone recalls it please post it here.
    Last edited by KC; 31-10-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Well said. However, out with the old and in with the new - even better if it 'Blow'd up real good". Build a Tegler look-a-like with a shiny new glass box on top and we can have it all!

In this case, just make the glass block look a bit like this now useless asset and everyone would be happy.
    "Out with the old in the with new" is *exactly* the mindset we have to thank for all of the buildings we've lost. And this exactly when we lost them--at the point in their lives when people didn't see them as history but as "useless assets."

If you care about historical preservation, you should care about buildings like this. This is what preservation looks like.

Save the historic 1980's BMO Building!
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Edmonton's Carnegie Library: 45 years old when demolished.
    Edmonton Imperial Bank: 43 years old when demolished.
    CN Railway Station: 38 years old when demolished.

As was pointed out earlier in the thread, there are some interesting similarities to the Calgary one (which is much taller at 167 meters, First Canadian Center West Tower):

It is as if they ran out of money and stopped at the podium. Still, I like the Edmonton building, I'd hate to see a parking lot go in its place. It wouldn't be the first time a building had been pulled down with a view to building something else, then that something else didn't get built.
    Last edited by moahunter; 31-10-2017 at 04:26 PM.

[QUOTE=moahunter;854362]
    Still, I like the Edmonton building, I'd hate to see a parking lot go in its place. It wouldn't be the first time a building had been pulled down with a view to building something else, then that something else didn't get built.
    Exactly!

Also very similar to this building in Winnipeg (which, incidentally, faces their legislature).

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88487...2!8i6656?hl=en

Yeah but isn't there a group that tried to save the bridge and another that tried to save the airport? Gotta call them up and get them involved. Start the printing presses and sign the petition to save the BMO!

LOL!
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Yeah but isn't there a group that tried to save the bridge and another that tried to save the airport? Gotta call them up and get them involved. Start the printing presses and sign the petition to save the BMO!

LOL!
    Werent the airport petitioners successful atleast once though?

I kind of like the BMO building. I'd much rather see a new tower built elsewhere. Like on a lot that's already empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I kind of like the BMO building. I'd much rather see a new tower built elsewhere. Like on a lot that's already empty.
    Substitute Tegler for BMO and you could be anyone of a majority of Edmontonians 30 years ago. Maybe as us, you’re with the majority today too.

However, like the art world, those with the money always seem to see geometrical greater value in certain items. It tends to become a self-fulfilling belief too.

I like the design of the BMO Building simple clean lines, but I think tearing down the Tegler Building to build it was a mistake. Would have been nicer if they could have built BMO elsewhere.

I don't mind it myself though I find it ironic that Edmontonians now want to save a building that was long derided as a short squat soulless eyesore. Could it be that perceptions were colored by the replacement of the beloved Tegler?

I like the design of the BMO Building simple clean lines, but I think tearing down the Tegler Building to build it was a mistake. Would have been nicer if they could have built BMO elsewhere.
    Maybe its a curse on this bit of land? BMO will now be pulled down, and we will then regret that the new building wasn't built somewhere else?

I've never minded the Bank Montreal of building, at least above the ground floor. It's an interesting building with a look and a floor plan unlike anything else, and based on their portfolio I don't see Regency building a replacement that's half as clean and unified architecture. While it's an office building, it's a space that would probably be better suited as almost anything else since banks ceased to have ranks of tellers in a great hall. With a shallow ring of floor space around a large atrium it could work well as a department store, a mall, a museum, something like that. Too bad we're already re/building a library just down the street, it could have worked well for that.

Even if it is just a temporary use while they get their redevelopment plans in order I would love to see the atrium open to the public.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    It's an interesting building with a look and a floor plan unlike anything else, and based on their portfolio I don't see Regency building a replacement that's half as clean and unified architecture.
    AMEN

Expect some news in the new year on this. Just received a request on my desk for some work relating to the BMO demolition.

Ugh. That worries me.

Interior demo has commenced, expect building demo this spring.

They plan to start on an UG parkade and hope to continue up after that...more to come.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Interior demo has commenced, expect building demo this spring.

They plan to start on an UG parkade and hope to continue up after that...more to come.
    just starting on the u/g parkade would be a good sign as i don't believe it can be opened as non-accessory parking.

speaking of non-accessory parking, if my memory is correct, the existing building was given a "relaxation" to be built without any parking as the required parking was apparently satisfied with an agreement for stalls in the above ground parkade on rice howard way. presumably that agreement and the city's acceptance of it disappears with the demolition and doesn't get grandfathered???

They rezoned it to CCA from their DC a few months ago.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

They rezoned it to CCA from their DC a few months ago.
    i know that IanO - my question relates to a development permit issue, not a zoning one.

C2E SME

Well something different there would be nice and it would be really nice if they could find a way to pay homage to the old Teglar building in one form or another.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well something different there would be nice and it would be really nice if they could find a way to pay homage to the old Teglar building in one form or another.
    homage to the tegler building will be tough to reconcile with homage to the bank of montreal building at the same time...

i’d be happy with some height, with some decent architecture, and with some knock your sock’s off urban edges at the bottom.
    Last edited by kcantor; 12-12-2017 at 08:46 AM.

I keep hearing that some of the Tegler Facade is being held in storage but does anyone actually know how much and what the quality is? I would imagine that would dictate how much of a "homage" that could pay....

Seems impossible as it 'got blowed up real good'.

I was thinking just find any specs and all the photos available in archives and do a remake of the facade

C2E Continued Contributor

i'm a little sad actually. i know progress is progress but i like how some buildings break up walls of "tower beside tower" and let light into the streets. i am not a fan of many parts of downtown calgary because of that, too much grey and gloom at street level.

I still think it has the bones for a decent department store. Attach pedways to ECC and Manulife, lure a Nordstrom, Holt or HBC into there and viola. But apparently part of the problem with BMO is that there's no underground parking. And as we all know, the car still trumps all in Edmonton.

C2E SME

Car is still king for sure in this city, but at least they aren't building new above ground parking structures. Well regardless of any type of homage they could do for one or another building, I really do hope that there are a number of street level businesses and entrances that will attract more people on to the street to further create vibrancy and busy sidewalks.

Car is still king for sure in this city, but at least they aren't building new above ground parking structures. Well regardless of any type of homage they could do for one or another building, I really do hope that there are a number of street level businesses and entrances that will attract more people on to the street to further create vibrancy and busy sidewalks.
    I don't mind the BMO building - it has grown on me, but I still think what was there before was better and more impressive. Also, our city is light on the historic, so I hope they really could integrate elements of the Tegler into whatever they build. If done properly it could fit in nicely with the Kelly Ramsay/Enbridge Centre building and give us a sense that there really is a bit of history in downtown Edmonton and that we are a real city with some sense of permanence.

I know it is a lot to hope for in a city that often tended to like to put things up quickly and cheaply and then knock them down later ... and repeat, but I really hope we are past that crap phase of our development and we continue to see more quality here.

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    i'm a little sad actually. i know progress is progress but i like how some buildings break up walls of "tower beside tower" and let light into the streets. i am not a fan of many parts of downtown calgary because of that, too much grey and gloom at street level.
    Zactly. Can also attest, having lived once in Calgary, that walls of towers = giant wind tunnels.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    A friend of mine salvaged bricks for a demolition company from Tegler before it was demolished he was paid a dollar per undamaged brick I remember he was making 75- 100 a day doing that they were to go into another building , I do not remember which one.

Looks like work will start soon on this building. There’s fencing around it for demolition.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Creativemind View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    A friend of mine salvaged bricks for a demolition company from Tegler before it was demolished he was paid a dollar per undamaged brick I remember he was making 75- 100 a day doing that they were to go into another building , I do not remember which one.
    i’m not positive that it includes brick from the tegler building but alldritt over the years acquired and still stores quite a bit of old brick. it’s my understanding that at one point if not still the intention was to incorporate some if it in the core walls and elsewhere in the quarters hotel and residences tower.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Looks like work will start soon on this building. There’s fencing around it for demolition.
    Interior demo has commenced, exterior in March I was told.
    www.decl.org

Thats too bad. I can't help but think the Knoxville's crowd should migrate to the BMO building in the interim while thier old building on Jasper gets demolished first. BMO has so much potential to be a lively night spot, like Dante's was on the west end.

Yes and all pedestrian access around it have been closed off as well. I thought this city implemented a bylaw against this???

C2E SME

For long term closures due to construction. Demolition is a bit of a different animal both in terms of spatial needs as well as how long the closures will last (days or weeks vs months or years).

Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    Thats too bad. I can't help but think the Knoxville's crowd should migrate to the BMO building in the interim while thier old building on Jasper gets demolished first. BMO has so much potential to be a lively night spot, like Dante's was on the west end.
    Dante's. Now that is hylarious.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    For long term closures due to construction. Demolition is a bit of a different animal both in terms of spatial needs as well as how long the closures will last (days or weeks vs months or years).
    So you're saying that hoarding with pedestrian access will be erected once demolition is completed?

C2E SME

I'd like to see if there's a way to save the glass and granite as they demolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    So you're saying that hoarding with pedestrian access will be erected once demolition is completed?
    Bingo. Demo is a whole different beast.
    www.decl.org

I hope they selvedge the marble facade stones.

Can’t imagine such value ever being crushed or landfilled but...

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I would imagine so. Not sure what Regency's plans are past demolition, it's possible that there will just be fencing if the site is left in rough shape after the removal of the basement and foundations and can't be left accessible, but they aren't intending on starting excavation for awhile. It's fairly unlikely that they'll start building on this site in 2018, as they're quite fair along in design on Emerald and it will go first.

Yes, I'd really like this to happen. If there are some bricks of the old Tegler to use in a new project, even better. BMO building had nothing special in design or otherwise. Would not miss it a bit.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

BMO interior demo well underway with some of the curtain wall coming down to allow equipment access.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Is the demolition a done deal? This is so ironic. I've disliked that cube since it was first built for many reasons but especially because it just didn't seem to fit in. However with the completion of the Kelly Ramsay/Enbridge Centre building the BMO cube seems to fit in better. Why? I don't know why but that's how I see it.

If it's not being torn down yet I think the City should work out a deal whereby the downtown farmer's market can use it each winter until it's ready for whatever the owner has planned. They shouldn't mind as it could cease to be used as a farmer's market with limited notice (no long term lease) but until then the market use might pay the taxes. Who knows, the market might lead to something else more permanent such as a retail development.

Thank you for the pics! I hope it will not be 10 years before something goes up; and I hope that a contract with the city took place where it stipulates guaranteed construction with specific timeline for this demolition to take place. For those in the knows, has there been any rough confirmed dates for a new construction as I have not seen any renders for this project hence my slight hesitation. I can accept a year without activity, but this corner is too vital for it to stay as an empty for longer than that period.

I can only imagine the complete & utter gongshow that'd be trying to construct a building on that corner whilst 102 Ave is getting tore up from the floor up for the LRT.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Isn't there a back alley between Enbridge and this structure?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed
    and I hope that a contract with the city took place where it stipulates guaranteed construction with specific timeline for this demolition to take place.

The city could not make a property owner agree to such terms, or rather, wouldn't have much leverage to make them agree. If they want to demolish a building that they own and they haven't previously accepted a historical designation and the funds that come with it, that's their right as the property owner. By what mechanism would the City have any control over when the new construction would start? What if the owner's financial situation or the state of the economy makes the contemplated project non-viable? The City can just force them in to starting the project and risking going out of business? Force them to sell to someone else at a massive loss?

For those in the knows, has there been any rough confirmed dates for a new construction as I have not seen any renders for this project hence my slight hesitation. I can accept a year without activity, but this corner is too vital for it to stay as an empty for longer than that period.

Haven't seen anything as yet, but that's just kind of how Regency operates. Haven't seen anything on Emerald either, but I know consultants are nearly done drawings on that one. I'd be surprised if much detailed design has begun on the BMO project, and don't realistically expect any construction to start on the site until 2019 at the earliest.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 03-01-2018 at 05:32 PM.

I've posted this somewhere before, but I noticed some comparison posts above....if we lament the loss of this building, one can always visit it's sister building in TO:

To be fair, I had no issue with this building. Yeah it replaced the beloved Tegler, but this building's aesthetics adds a nice variety to the area.

When does it become okay to just blow a building up? It seems more labor intensive to demolish part by part.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    I've posted this somewhere before, but I noticed some comparison posts above....if we lament the loss of this building, one can always visit it's sister building in TO:

To be fair, I had no issue with this building. Yeah it replaced the beloved Tegler, but this building's aesthetics adds a nice variety to the area.
    Much, much more was promised in order to prevent the protection of a great old historic asset.

and I hope that a contract with the city took place where it stipulates guaranteed construction with specific timeline for this demolition to take place.

The city could not make a property owner agree to such terms, or rather, wouldn't have much leverage to make them agree. If they want to demolish a building that they own and they haven't previously accepted a historical designation and the funds that come with it, that's their right as the property owner. By what mechanism would the City have any control over when the new construction would start? What if the owner's financial situation or the state of the economy makes the contemplated project non-viable? The City can just force them in to starting the project and risking going out of business? Force them to sell to someone else at a massive loss?

For those in the knows, has there been any rough confirmed dates for a new construction as I have not seen any renders for this project hence my slight hesitation. I can accept a year without activity, but this corner is too vital for it to stay as an empty for longer than that period.

Haven't seen anything as yet, but that's just kind of how Regency operates. Haven't seen anything on Emerald either, but I know consultants are nearly done drawings on that one. I'd be surprised if much detailed design has begun on the BMO project, and don't realistically expect any construction to start on the site until 2019 at the earliest.
    That is why we have problems like Dubb. Individual companies also have the responsibility of taking care of the core of the city and ensuring
    the core's vitality is not in jeopardy for their profits. Interest s for whole should also supersede interests of one. At least that is my thinking.

My fear is that a well structural sound build could still be used in some form if they don't have plans in the short term to construct until they're ready. I'm sure(95%) Recency will do the right thing. As per the timeline of starting this project, I think a reasonable timeline is spring 2020 before it even commences.

Edmonton first, everything else second.

Thanks for all your effort on the many updates ThomasH !

Funny, I had never liked the BMO cement bunker and had actually hoped that it wouldn't be around for long. I have the feeling that Regency will propose for this site one of the nicest towers the city is yet to see. Katz supposedly also has a 'Trophy' tower planned for the Baccarat location ... let's hope the economy continues to recover and strengthen to encourage the announcement of major projects.
    Last edited by TRtower; 07-01-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Hell, even a reno that opened the streetwalls of this thing up would help big time. Thanks for the photos, Thomas, it's good to see this go.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

First One is Always Free

What surprises me from walking by this demolition is how little salvage of materials is being done, particularly given the quality and age of finishings in this building. Is that common for a demolition such as this?

Quote Originally Posted by BDD View Post
    What surprises me from walking by this demolition is how little salvage of materials is being done, particularly given the quality and age of finishings in this building. Is that common for a demolition such as this?
    Yes, unfortunately salvaging is generally for scrap. Most of the fixtures, windows, etc. though not ancient are totally out of date to modern efficiency standards and at a re-sale barely cover the cost of removing and hauling them.

This building is getting the karma it deserves

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Hoping for an 8-10 storey podium and 70-90 floor tower here.

^lol, more likely a gravel parking lot. In fairness it is a good location, but with the market the way it is, I’d be surprised if it ends up more than a twenty story office tower (which would still be nice).

It was mentioned their plans were for mix-used. Ok, 20 story office, 10 stories for hotel, 10 stories for on-site for short-term rentals, 35+ for condos. Voila and not far fetched for me.

Interesting reading:

The Subordination of the Local State: Development Politics in Edmonton
    Urban Resources No. 5

ABSTRACT

iii CONTENTS
    1. INTRODUCTION
    1.1 REGIME TYPES
    1.2 CAPTIVE LOCAL STATES
    2. BACKGROUND
    2.1 A CORPORATE REGIME WITH PROGRESSIVE ELEMENTS
    2.2 THE INTERVENTION OF GLOBAL FORCES
    2.3 THE COLLAPSE OF DEVELOPMENT CONTROL
    2.4 REGIME EVOLUTION
    3. BANK OF MONTREAL
    3.1 TEGLER
    3.2 THE NEW BUILDING
    4. EATON CENTRE: BAIT AND SWITCH
    4.1 4.2 4 . 3 4 . 4
    NEGOTIATIONS IN 1980
    RISE OF THE ACTIVIST CORPORATE FACTION DECISIONS
    DENOUEMENT
    5. CONCLUSIONS
    5.1 THE GLOBAL ECONOMY AND LOCAL POLITICS
    5.2 THE IMPORTANCE OF LOCAL POLITICS
    5.3 THE LOCAL STATE AND THE BUREAUCRACY
    ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS NOTES
    REFERENCES

http://ocwtest.freeculture.ca/bitstr...=1&isAllowed=y

Last edited by KC; 08-01-2018 at 11:12 PM.

How about a Trump Tower. We won't mind him so much once Oprah takes over.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast