• The Regions leaders

6 22.22%
  • Both

13 48.15%

Thread: Who do you think is at fault the most for the regional mess

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Who do you think is at fault the most for the regional mess

Simply put.

Who do you blame the most for regional mess that has hounded Metro-Edmonton for to many years.

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Re: Who do you think is at fault the most for the regional m

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    Simply put.

Who do you blame the most for regional mess that has hounded Metro-Edmonton for to many years.
    Really, I feel as though it's everyone's fault and no one's fault at the same time. Mr Decisive am I...

What I mean is this:
    - All participants have basically neglected that regional cooperation for decades, so surrounding municipalities have made independent decisions on their planning strategies with little to no consultation from other players (Edmonton included). So we're all to blame in this sense.
    - I also believe that at one point, surrounding municipalities could not really have been considered part of the greater metropolitan region of Edmonton. Edmonton simply wasn't that big in the past. Yes, it could be argued that Edmonton has always been the hub of activity for residents of surrounding municipalities, but it hasn't been as obvious in the past as it is now becoming. So, in this sense, it's been an "impending" problem that's finally arrived. No one specifically is really to blame here in this sense.

The point is that the region, as far as I can tell, is getting to a point that collective government (or at least decision making) over the region is a more and more popular idea. It's basically going to come down to every party involved tossing the rhetoric aside and focusing on balancing the needs of all, and start planning in a more strategic way across the region.

It's difficult to lay blame on only one party for the regional mess we are now in, but if I had to choose, I'd say that Edmonton could have brought the issue to a head a lot sooner than it has. It's not so much a fault of previous governments as it was just the lack of appetite to take on this sort of a problem in the past.

First One is Always Free

It has got to be the province at fault. Think of it - when the industrial plans were developed and first proposed, it should have been provincial leadership which steps in and says "that's a great plan, but if you go ahead with it, you have to consult Edmonton, who will be negatively impacted by the development, and come up with a plan to share infrastucture costs."

It really could have been that easy, in the beginning.

Problems started when Edmonton wasn't allowed to annex the lands to the east of it back in the 50's or somewhere back then. Since then, its been a growing problem. Maybe we will see resolution soon?
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

First One is Always Free

It is the fault of those who continually try to assess blame.

Stop looking at the past, get on with it, move forward.

When the first refinery was built on refinery row, it was a long way from Edmonton's eastern border.

And the region is not a "mess." The "region" is doing quite well. The only one that is apparently suffering is Edmonton.

I think time would be better spent looking forward and trying to get more secondary or tertiary "value added" projects going in NE Edmonton. 23,000 acres of raw land, close to pipelines, utility right of ways and water supply. How about trying to attract some manufacturing operations that can take the upgraded products from Redwater, Ft. Sask, Count of S etc., and turn them into actual value add products?

As someone else has said , need to make a bigger pie, or more pies. Carving up the existing pie will only result in all getting less filling.

Value add, value add, value add.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by feepa
    Problems started when Edmonton wasn't allowed to annex the lands to the east of it back in the 50's or somewhere back then. Since then, its been a growing problem. Maybe we will see resolution soon?
    On the flip side, we annexed Jasper Place in '64 and look where that got us. The city essentially stepped over it to grow, and left Jasper Place to rot. Not that that mistake will be or could be repeated - but I understand where some of the long-standing animosity started.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie flower

And the region is not a "mess." The "region" is doing quite well. The only one that is apparently suffering is Edmonton.

That is quite the statement to make when over 70% of the regions population is IN EDMONTON.

First One is Always Free

Thank you for making my point codeman.

Our governement keeps repeating "the region needs to cooperate" when what we really mean is "we're bigger, to hell with you, we want what you have."

Where is that thread on greed?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Greed = Strathcona County...

Just thought I'd throw that one in there...becasue a very very good case can be made for that one...

But, in reality,

"blame" is pretty much universal here, as is the myopia.

PF - you'd better research the refinery row comment as to why it is where it is...and you can "blame" Edmonton for that and their arrogance of the day.

As for NE Edmonton's dreams, OK, tell Strathcona County they can't build their new node....because I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the downwind side will freak and try to stop that development.

As for "all" getting less filling, reword to "the bloated revenue streams of some will get shared with others like St. Albert who cannot compete". Don't like it, call Crouse. He's figured it out. You'd be surprised at who else in the region has figured it out, leaving SC and Sturgeon pretty much alone now.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

If there was only one person/government level/municipality to blame, it'd be easy to solve. Take the entity responsible, beat it with a clue stick until the problem is solved. The fact is that every player in this comic tragedy has a role to play in both the blame game and the solution.

First One is Always Free

I'll bite Richard, I know why the refineries are where they are, can you help explain it to the masses?

Here! Here! mOnkyman!

Partially Addicted to C2E

Thank you for making my point codeman.

Our governement keeps repeating "the region needs to cooperate" when what we really mean is "we're bigger, to hell with you, we want what you have."

Where is that thread on greed?
    YOU are the one that originally seperated Edmonton from the "region"...not me! I am just having a difficult time understanding your logic. You say the region is doing fine, but if the largest (by far) member of the region is apparently "suffering", then how is the region, as a whole, fine?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I wonder what those outside of the city would feel if roles were reversed?

The sad thing is that the provincial government as it stands (for the last 15 or so years) doesn't care about Edmonton. That's because the province Alberta is is painted blue and the City of Edmonton is painted red.

And even when Edmonton did vote Tory it did us no good. So, I don't have a good feeling that this Tory government will do anything that is productive for Edmonton at all in this regional struggle for equality.

Addicted to C2E

I grew up on the other side of the coin, and held a very similar opinion at the time as I do now (though not a detailed one as that was only up to high school). My parents are still of that general opinion.

It's like the royalties though. If you see that you've got it good, are you really going to want to change it? That's why these people are living there in the first place.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It is obvious, the whole fault lies with Bruderheim.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60
    It is obvious, the whole fault lies with Bruderheim.
    and here, I thought it was that troublesome Calmar...
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

And the peasants in Thorsbuck and Varburg nod in agreement, meet at the Scuzzybrook bar to celebrate Cowmar's newfound notoriety. While back in God's country in Genesee, we still just grab a drink and tell y'all to kiss my glass!

And so ends my neil waugh inspired namecalling post.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

C2E Continued Contributor

When the first refinery was built on refinery row, it was a long way from Edmonton's eastern border.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    PF - you'd better research the refinery row comment as to why it is where it is...and you can "blame" Edmonton for that and their arrogance of the day.
    Hmmm? I do believe the eastern boundary was 50 Street until the 1964 amalgamation.