Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: TV commercials that make me reach for the mute button

I'd rather C2E than work!

One thing good about the Olympics being over is I don't have to see those smart alec kids in the McDonald's commercials.

Also the Bombardier commercials with the different foreign people singing verses of O Canada was getting annoying.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Commercials for Lazy boy furniture are really getting to me lately, especially the "OOH! AH!" one.
    Their ads are dreadful. Bring back the old ones with that theme song.
    While they're at it, toast Lorraine Mansbridge's Lazy Boy ads too.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Any of Hallsy's in-the-middle-of-something-else spiels. e.g. Albert's Family Restaurants. Also Tom Wilkinson's Carpet World ads. with his unique, read mouthful of plums, delivery.

Someone else here had it right about Hallsy - retire you old git!

What's making me reach for the remote are those chiropractor ads that seem to play during every commercial break. That'd be the animation with the blonde cyclist and the screaming monsters in the cage.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Sidebar:
    Anyone else watch "Ad Persuasion" ?

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    with the different foreign people singing verses of O Canada was getting annoying.
    Those adds were bizare - why anyone would want citizens of other countries mocking their national anthem is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    with the different foreign people singing verses of O Canada was getting annoying.
    Those adds were bizare - why anyone would want citizens of other countries mocking their national anthem is beyond me.
    the new-er BMO commercials where 2 people are in Mexico and what is supposed to be a woman (i think it is a she-male) groans like a creepy drug addict to the woman they are supposedly addressing.
    that she-male incarnation is so creepy i reach for the remote faster than a lightning bolt.

The Grey Power Insurance commercial with the hyper woman driver. "C'mon everyone, let's move it already!!!!".

Sheeesh.

is there still commercials on tv? I thought they would all be gone with everyone using PVR's now a days.

any of the stupid "Cheese" commercials with the family singing along about how great cheese is. Awful.

And still on the topic of food ads: The soup ad that has crackers falling from a great height into the bowls of various soups. The resulting splashes of soup look more like puke.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

The new cheese ad... where they sing around the dinner table.

Addicted to C2E

I mute ALL commercials, without exception.
    BobinEdmonton

I'm not sure about this, but if you have one of these TVs that records everything and you watch it on a 5 or 10 second delay, I think you can set it up so that it automatically mutes ads for you. Apparently, the circuitry detects beforehand the increased sound levels of the ads and mutes the sound automatically. That'd be a dandy for you, bobinedmonton.

grish

don't know if they had been mentioned, but all Alarm Force commercials and especially their Alaaaarm force jingle. Cannot stand them! Makes me feel like going to get a different alarm force company altogether.

First One is Always Free

- City Ford
    - Denny Andrews Ford
    - Westgate Chevrolet
    - Mini Wheats
    - Mattress Mattress
    - Feminine hygiene stuff

There was one on the other day that was extremely confusing and weird. It was a woman talking about getting married and stuff, with her mom giving advice and such. At the end, it was the mom getting married, and it was about Depends adult diapers. My wife and I looked at each other, not really sure what just happened. :P

The Canada Savings Bonds 15 second commercials with the moose headbutting each other, and having it make the sound of a coin dropping? A leaf dropping, with the sound of a coin dropping? How does that make sense at all?!

But, as others have said, I just dislike commercials altogether.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by hamilton515 View Post
    Any maltesers commercial...
    On the radio I can't stand the Spence Diamonds guy.
    I agree. The Spenth Diamonds guy is truly annoying.
    And its only getting worse of late. I realize they are just doing their jobs, but it is irritating to hear them peddling their african diamonds (said to be conflict free ones, but I don't like any diamonds that lead back to africa) as noble gifts of love. I'll stick to ice diamonds, thanks, even if they aren't as glorious or cheap.
    Last edited by moahunter; 06-11-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    don't know if they had been mentioned, but all Alarm Force commercials and especially their Alaaaarm force jingle. Cannot stand them! Makes me feel like going to get a different alarm force company altogether.
    funny how some of the most annoying commercials, are the most effective.

unless they get SO annoying that you boycott the company.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It's B-a-c-k! I'm referring to the "I'm looking for the 'you're the best dad ever' " commercial.

ARGH!!
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

I noticed they changed the McCain Slow Cooker Solution commercial.

When mom tells the daughter talking on the phone that dinner's ready the teenager gasps instead of screams.

McCain must of got too many complaints.

Call me dense, but it took me a while to figure out who bought the singing Christmas tree in the Staples ad. The wife mumbles through part of her dialogue.

800-588-2300 Empire
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Just saw this one: The SAVE-A-BLADE! A dandy little device that sharpens multiblade shaving razors. Scientifically tested, of course, and an "Independent Report" replete with white-coated lab tech with microscope. Then up pops a caption that proclaims the following gem: "blade sharper after sharpening". Gee, can that really be?

No more irritating "what did you get for Christmas?" Tim Horton commercials........ayyyyyyyyy?

No more Rogers wireless commercials with those five narcissistic young people including the psycho blonde chick.

Yipeeee!

I dislike the Ford ("better than professional grade") - whatever that means, and the Dodge Ram Rambos doing their truck test.

Always intrigues me the ads I have not seen that people talk about.
    We are all the same, just different...

Somehow watching Ford, GM, and Chrysler ads nowadays leave me with an empty feeling.

No more Rogers wireless commercials with those five narcissistic young people including the psycho blonde chick.
    Those 20somethings have been in many Rogers Wireless ads for the past few years, not just around Christmas. It's like Rogers is trying to do their own version of Friends. And every year the blonde grabs a sneak peek at her gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I dislike the Ford ("better than professional grade") - whatever that means, and the Dodge Ram Rambos doing their truck test.
    Yeah, no kidding. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would shell out 60 grand for some brand new big-***** truck and then drive it up mountains and through rocky creeks and halfway wreck the thing. More money than sense.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Yeah, no kidding. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would shell out 60 grand for some brand new big-***** truck and then drive it up mountains and through rocky creeks and halfway wreck the thing. More money than sense.
    It's all about the "dream" of freedom I guess. When I lived by the ocean, you would often see TV adds, with trucks streaking through the dunes, then splashing through the water on the beach... now, it looked all very nice... until your truck starts rusting overnight from the salt water... I often wondered if maybe they were showing these adds intentionally, in the hope people would run their new beasts into the ground, needing a new one shortly after... ?

Do we really have to put up with Valerie Bertinelli getting emotional at the end of every year?

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Do we really have to put up with Valerie Bertinelli getting emotional at the end of every year?
    She has no one but Wolfie.

all of them... I mute the commercials until the show comes back on...

The sad thing is that they are usually Edmonton commercials. The one that bugs me a lot is:

Mattress Mattress: the graphics are cheap and they go with one theme and then after they change with "OUR MISSION TO SAVE YOU MONEY" in that ugly voice (not saying she has a digusting voice, but the echoing makes in nasaly and dumb) I mean they could have cut that our or retook it.

City Ford: normally only see it on Global and I do not realy waatch Global so it doesnt bug me. I hate the way it looks and the ladys voice just terrible and gives a cheap kind of thing.
    ----

C2E Continued Contributor

Montana Steakhouse. Those talking stuffed animal heads on the wall deserve a couple more bullets to shut them up.

Shaw hi-speed internet is currently running one featuring 2 talking snails. Creeeeeeepy

1) The Sony PSP commercial with the annoying music that goes down a cross-Canada road that has the Red Mile/Calgary and nothing for Edmonton.

2) The Subway commercials in general. I want to put that monkey into a wood chipper.

3) Pretty much anything on Space, since it seems Space just repeats a stock of four or five commercials per week.

4) Swiss foam bed ads or old person tub ads. Thank you, TLC.

5) Already mentioned, the Rogers ads. Does anyone else find the one chick looks like the lead character from Scary Movie and acts just as dumb?
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

First One is Always Free

The new Mcdonald's commercial about the double cheese burger and the guy is crying like a big baby, what does this sound like wAAAHHHHHHH wAAAHHHHHH!
    or
    Those repeated proactive commercials. During christmas I was watching the cops marathone and the same ad I must have watched it at least 3000 times, I think it was the mens channel.
    Last edited by small biz; 10-01-2009 at 08:05 AM.

I am boycotting McCains until they find a better advertising firm. All of their ads are not only overplayed but they are stupid beyond belief, especially the one with the chef and the Inuit guy.

I have not seen the chef and Inuit guy one on TV yet.

In the meantime I will whistle Rain Drops Keep Falling on My Head because that song is stuck in my head every time I see the Roundup ad.

First One is Always Free

The Pedigree dog food commercials with the dogs eating out of bags drive me insane. I can't stand the sound of eating, and that's ALL. THERE. IS in those commercials.

The Flintstones vitamins commercial where the kid is feeding the dog food under the table with a really creepy look on his face.

Foster Parents Plan/Christian Children's Fund commercials. You already get a half hour paid programming slot once a week, why do you need 45 second commercials, too?!

The Snugglie blanket commercial; the water bulbs commercial (though I want a set of those, please). Insurance commercials of any type. Reverse home mortgage commercials.

Wow. I think I watch way too much TV.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by soycd View Post
    Montana Steakhouse. Those talking stuffed animal heads on the wall deserve a couple more bullets to shut them up.
    Hahah LOL I'd like to pump a few rounds into them too!

Yeah what would Deer do if he actually won the combo challenge?

Would he chow down on some ribs? or 6 oz steak?

That's gotta be one of the stupidest tv commercials out there. Its loud and annoying and makes no sense.

Those BRAND POWER spots are annoying too though

but the worst and I mean the worst are the COOPERATORS INSURANCE AGENT commercials - the woman in the elevator, the dad on skates - absolutely ********. The insurance companies are scared though because online insurance quote finder services are finally keeping them honest.

Hubert the Cat is really starting to get on my nerves.
    And along the same vein as Montana's... check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX85Y5Zb7sw&NR=1

Partially Addicted to C2E

Excellent link BarryN - I always enjoy British humor

My pet peeve relating to commercials is anything to do with the "sexist ads" where they talk about heart disease being the leading killer of women, or the issue about cancer in women or violence against women. This issues pertain to our population including men and in many cases children as well. To focus these issues merely on women, downplays the value of men and children in our society. If we have learned anything over the past years, we should not be singling out any segment of our population for special treatment.....

^ Agree about sexism in ads. According to TV ads, women still do all the cooking and cleaning and child-rearing, while all men are clueless oafs. In the advertisers' world, only women eat yogurt while only men drink beer.

Every time I see that new cheese ad with the creepy little girl and the claymation cheese man holding the broccoli...I'm like, WTF?

And then there is that irritating Bell commercial..
    The GPS says this is the place
    Amy's Facebook page say's this is the place
    The map say's this is the place.

ALL RIGHT ALREADY.
    THIS IS THE PLACE.

I think the creepy one is the little claymation cheese man.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post

ALL RIGHT ALREADY.
    THIS IS THE PLACE.
    That one is always played during the Oilers telecast.

Here is what you do the next time you are watching the game with your friends and they play that Bell commercial. At the end when the doorman lets the two dudes into the club, ask out loud, "Why did those guys just enter a gay bar?".

You are guaranteed to get a few laughs!

I despise all ads. I hit the mute button, and find out whats cooking in the kitchen or grab another beer. Most of the primetime crude I watch is recorded on my PVR or downloaded anyways, so its just a matter of fast forwarding.

Thank goodness for PVR... that's all I have to say about that.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I hit the mute button, and find out whats cooking in the kitchen or grab another beer.
    Am I to assume, then, that you are male?

I think the creepy one is the little claymation cheese man.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post

ALL RIGHT ALREADY.
    THIS IS THE PLACE.
    That one is always played during the Oilers telecast.

Here is what you do the next time you are watching the game with your friends and they play that Bell commercial. At the end when the doorman lets the two dudes into the club, ask out loud, "Why did those guys just enter a gay bar?".

You are guaranteed to get a few laughs!

That awful chiropractors commercial is back. WHERE'S THAT REMOTE?

^ The commercial dosn't tell you that the pain will eventually break out of jail.

Oops, time to go back to the Chiropractor...
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Obviously they're ramping that ad up again because of the cuts in provincial chiropractor coverage.

Finish,The Dimond Standard.The New name for electrasol... OMG makes me wanna scream!

I'm not the only one who wonders about the meaning of the phrase, "Never rub another man's rhubarb".....

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Enter...638/story.html

The overplay of Wendy's Baconator (ba-a-a-a-a-a-con) ad. Global Morning News is running it during every bloody commercial break this morning, which prompted me to shut off the TV.

I'm not the only one who wonders about the meaning of the phrase, "Never rub another man's rhubarb".....

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Enter...638/story.html
    Yeah, I wondered about that too. What are you supposed to do if you live in an apartment, and can't grow your own rhubarb? Do I need to buy some? Am I weird because I don't really like rhubarb that much?

Will I get in trouble if I go to Safeway, and rub the rhubarb? Does that wreck it for everyone else? I don't want to buy it, because I'm not going to eat it. And if I do buy it, should I be rubbing it prior to eating it? Maybe that's why it's always tasted so sour to me. I don't like it, except in pies.

What if some guy wants to rub my rhubarb? Do I tell him about the unwritten code? What if he grabs it, rubs it, drops it, and runs off. Is it still ok to eat, or should I get rid of it?

So many questions.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

It's about stealing a girl...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Have you seen those Sham-wow commercials?
    "Not sold in stores" - wrong! I bought a couple in a store in Ottawa.

$19.99 each, and if you call right now we'll send a second one FREE!!

That's creative marketing. They sell for "$9.99 in the stores, so what they're actually doing
    in the commercial is selling two sets. Why sell one set when you can sell two?

most of the lottery commercials are weak

Partially Addicted to C2E

I miss the DELL commercials... what a classic. "Dude, you got a DELL"

Or even the Canadian Tire guy... he was full of awesomeness. He had the solution to all of lifes problems, and all it involved was some Mastercraft item from your local Canadian Tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
    I miss ...

the Canadian Tire guy... he was full of awesomeness. He had the solution to all of lifes problems, and all it involved was some Mastercraft item from your local Canadian Tire.
    MacLean's Magazine did a story on the fact that he was the most hated man on TV because of his know-it-all attitude. That's why Canadian Tire took a 180 degree turn to feature bumbelrs in their commercials.

Swiss Chalet's tag line "Where family happens". What kind of convoluted grammar is that? Speaking of the Canadian Tire guy, his clone lives next door to me. You don't know how irritating that is.

C2E SME

What about Bud Light commercials with the recaps or cheesy graphics?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

The Rexall Edmonton Indy commercials....MUTE.

Why does Northlands advertise it like it is a monster truck derby? The narrator's voice has that growlie, whisky sound....."see Canada's own Alex Tagiani".

The Rexall Edmonton Indy commercials....MUTE.

Why does Northlands advertise it like it is a monster truck derby? The narrator's voice has that growlie, whisky sound....."see Canada's own Alex Tagiani".
    The one that gets me is.......'Seen by Millions Worldwide'......ya Prove It. It certainly hasn't translated into more tourism.

^ That's a bit early to say, isn't it?
    Strathcona City Separatist

From A&E Venting in the Journal:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...085/story.html

— Advertisers, please make better commercials — and change them once in a while. The only commercials I enjoy are the ones for Bridgestone Tires with the goofy astronauts and the motoring potato heads. The worst commercial is the bad female driver banging her head. And I’m really sick of the one with the elderly mother asking her son to rent her a bigger car.

— Where did the Brick dig up Michael Bell? I had totally forgotten how annoying he can be.

— The way Michael Bell has been shouting and straining himself in the Brick commercials, he is going to have a heart attack if he’s not careful.

— The A&W commercials used to be funny and kind of sweet. The new ones have been not so funny or sweet. Different writers, perhaps?

— Why is that chef in the Panago commercials always wearing a hardhat?

the 'grey power' commercial that runs 24/7 on the shaw's channel 10... it shows every 5 minutes..
    the witch that drives the car, the ***** that promises UP TO $400 bucks a year in savings!! (wow!! that's $30 a month woohoo!!!)....i not only want to reach for the mute button, i want to reach for something to slap them with... stupidest-commercial-EVER!

Why did they bring back that Coffee Crisp commercial with the two old Russian ladies?

I noticed the new "I'm a mac adds" during the NFL - they aren't funny anymore. Wasn't cool at all - almost as bad as the annoying "I'm a pc adds" that have those ugly kids on them.

First One is Always Free

Here are my current hates:

- Best Buy's "We're looking for a 'you're the best dad ever!'" Gee, yes let's perpetuate the buying of affection through consumer goods.
    - ALL the current Telus ads with the awful hip-hop music and the dancing animals.
    - I'm getting really tired of Future Shop's "Tech Club"
    - Lenscrafters' "No Hidden Charges" where the customer brings her accountant...

I still hit the mute button for Lazy boy commercials. They're terrible and annoying.

How about the rap singer singing about Castledowns Bingo.
    It is awful.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Thank goodness for PVR... that's all I have to say about that.
    This is a bit of topic but I'll ask anyway.
    About your PVR. I was thinking of putting it on my Xmas wish list.
    Did you a) buy it outright B)get it through Telus or Shaw.
    If it's not to much to ask, how much approx. did you pay.
    Thanks
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

any radio commercial that features condoms or any other sex related ad.

The actors voicing those commercials sound horrible.

grish

The Conservative slander ads of Ignatieff. Cannot stand them. Change the channel the instant they come up. Did the same with similar ads on Dion.

I agree... those ads just make me angry, mostly cause they're so one-sided. There may be some truth to them, but they're definitely not telling the whole story.

I agree... those ads just make me angry, mostly cause they're so one-sided. There may be some truth to them, but they're definitely not telling the whole story.
    Yeah, they really are pretty terrible, and especially frustrating given their claims about coalitions with separatists and socialists when the Conservatives are currently bunking up with both. I find them insulting to my intelligence.

A one-sided political campaign ad???!!!! Shocking!

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    The worst are those Hero Tabs ads on the Bounce. Any drug that promises to make your penis larger (because the ladies like 'em that way and will make you more of a man) has to be a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    The worst are those Hero Tabs ads on the Bounce. Any drug that promises to make your penis larger (because the ladies like 'em that way and will make you more of a man) has to be a scam.
    LOL, no doubt... those ads are awful. I don't even understand how the Bounce gets away playing that ad.

First One is Always Free

For me, it is ALL ads on TV that make me reach for the Mute button as well as the TV Menu to see if there is anything on non-commercial TV worth watching.

Drives those in my house up the wall, but I hate commercials, whether on radio or TV. And in the 80's there was one commercial I REALLY hated on the radio but it had me doing the VO so....

The new Government ad. on the economy gets the instant bum's rush from me. Politicians are best seen and not heard.

Boston Pizza's latest ads with that "Oh Yeah" song from Ferris Bueller are, without a doubt, the ABSOLUTE WORST right now. I will refuse to darken the doors of any BP until those ads are off the air.

Two Tim Horton's commercials:

-spazzy mechanic gets defensive for ordering a French vanilla cappuccino.

- dumb husband convinces wife to dress as a coffee and pumpkin doughnut for Halloween.

Also the Cialis commercials when the wife hides the dude's shoes, wallet, etc.

Those Olymel ads used to be amusing, now they are just really annoying. It's like the guy with the British accent is trying too hard to be funny.

Boston Pizza's latest ads with that "Oh Yeah" song from Ferris Bueller are, without a doubt, the ABSOLUTE WORST right now. I will refuse to darken the doors of any BP until those ads are off the air.

No kidding !!

Top_Dawg was a bit under the weather these last few days and so he spent a lot of time sprawled out on the couch, guzzling fluids ( beer ) and watching TV.

Top_Dawg thinks that Boston Pizza could successfully sue the ad company that made these commercials for wrecking their brand. These ads are so pathetically bad its funny.

C2E SME

Welcome to the Wiserhood.

First One is Always Free

A couple of classic annoyances are the Boston Pizza 10 for $10... drives me crazy. but NOTHING tops the 2 men going to Scotiabank and one is in a stroller to get the NHL savings can!!
    However, they are catering to the intelligence of people watching the garbage on TV these days. Can't expect MENSA material!

C2E SME

How about the Avion card commercial.

"Shuck away, my friend, shuck away..."

The Canadian Tire remote-controlled smoke alarm. Do we really need to hear 20 seconds of beep, beep, beep...........

First One is Always Free

And whatever happened to "The Clapper"??
    If the Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me!

CTV is really going overboard with their anti-cable ads.

Has anyone ever found the Fountain Tire Guy funny? The latest ones where he's interviewing accountants and math wizards are his most unfunny to date.

Has anyone ever found the Fountain Tire Guy funny? The latest ones where he's interviewing accountants and math wizards are his most unfunny to date.

The best Fountain Tire spots was the one where he thought he was going to Hawaii,but got on the wrong flight and ended going to Winnipeg.

^ It's true; I normally hate commercials altogether, but I can't help but quote that one whenever I do go to Winnipeg.
    Strathcona City Separatist

I don't know about you guys, but the Wendy's "When it's real" jingle is starting to get on my nerves.

I don't watch a lot of TV but when I do, it's usually that commercial that comes on.

Just remember that Christmas is coming and we will bombarded with that Future Shop "You're the best Dad " spot. Now, where is that mute button.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast