Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayfair Village| Residential (2 towers)

C2E Long Term Contributor

^i dont mind it either...once they take off the crap and sand blast it. It would be a nice dichotomy to a new tower to the west.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^i dont mind it either...once they take off the crap and sand blast it. It would be a nice dichotomy to a new tower to the west.
    Don't hold your breath on that. It was just given a fresh coat of paint in the fall. That's as good as she gets.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It's definitely coming down.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Future of Mayfair Hotel still undecided
    Last Updated: Thursday, March 27, 2008 | 5:23 PM MT Comments0Recommend0CBC News
    The future of Edmonton's Mayfair Hotel is still uncertain, the owner said Thursday, after it was abruptly shut down in December due to what the company called "catastrophic mechanical failure."

The Mayfair Hotel's lower level is covered in orange construction tarps.
    (John Archer/CBC)
    The lower sections of the 63-year-old landmark on Jasper Avenue and 108 Street are shrouded in orange tarps, with signs saying the building is closed until further notice.

The owner, George Schleussel, CEO of Calgary's Procura Real Estate Services, told CBC News the building had to be closed when the pipes burst during the winter.

Tenants had already been served notice to be out by the end of 2008, he said.

Procura is working to remove asbestos from the building, and has not decided whether to tear down the building or try to redevelop it, Schleussel added.

"Right now, the main thing, even if we do demolition, is clean up the building from all environmental materials, as they have to be handled carefully in a process separate from demolition. So we are in the process of a redesign for the entire site and we'll be looking at the feasibility and economics of that as we go along."

Schleussel said he hoped to be able to reveal his plans for the building "in a month or so."

Signs on the outside of the Mayfair Hotel say that the building is closed due to mechanical failure.
    (John Archer/CBC)
    "There's a lot of history in that building," said Maureen Reynolds, whose Corona Coffee Station has been in the Mayfair building for 15 years. She said she would hate to see it demolished.

"I've got customers that would come into the cafe and say they spent their honeymoon there, so there's a lot of history behind it but it's a great location."

Tenants that have been forced out by the work include the Go Backpackers Hostel, Rigoletto's Italian Cafe, and the Vinyl Nightclub. The building hasn't been operated as a hotel for a number of years.

The pizza shop Funky Pickle also had an outlet in the building. It is suing Procura for damages, claiming it failed to maintain the building, forcing them out before the end of their lease.

With files from John Archer

First One is Always Free

Default Why not a residential green building?

I normally would opt for redeveloptment of the Mayfair, but ever since I have lived here, the upper apartment parts have just looked like the low class drug dealers offices.

I think a great idea would be another residential tower, like the new Icon towers.... something architecturally appealing, with a garden rooftop. There are so many empty business storefront and offices, I would rather it go the residential route.

while i like the 1st half of your idea......you are critically incorrect with the 2nd.

"There are so many empty business storefront and offices, I would rather it go the residential route."

sorry

WELCOME though
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Have it go residential with more open commercial spots on the main floor. It would rock.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

C2E Posting Power

Nothing redeeming about current facade...just a a lot of cake decoration. either strip it back to structure like they're doing across the street or start over again...
    In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

Quote Originally Posted by Decade View Post
    ...There are so many empty business storefront and offices, I would rather it go the residential route.
    I'm sorry, have you been hiding for a decade? Where are the vacant storefronts and offices? Other than the Printz building and the old BMO building, that's it other than some minor spots here and there...

Just to reiterate what I said earlier, the building's going to come down, without a doubt. As far as what the final development looks like, I guess that's up in the air in some respects, but there's been preliminary drawings around for awhile now. They're doing their diligence and seeing if it makes sense financially right now, while the building is remediated and prepared for demo.

C2E Posting Power

I would imagine Procura has to much ridding on that part of Jasper to leave that lot rot as a parking lot and would hope they start construction ASAP.

First One is Always Free

There are a lot of office spaces for lease in the older buildings along Jasper ave, and into downtown... as well as in City Centre Mall itself... Maybe not a lot compared to some American cities I have been in, but I still feel residential would be the way to go. Of course, I am biased, I love living downtown and I wish there were more affordable apartments.

Obviously, one can tell I am a student poor, poor, poor. lol

Is there any chance of them leaving the 'skeleton' of the old mayfair standing and incorporating it into a new (larger) building, sort of like is happening across the street? I imagine this would be cheaper and therefore more desirable. But I suppose it depends on the sort of shape the 'bones' of the old Maifair are in...
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    Is there any chance of them leaving the 'skeleton' of the old mayfair standing and incorporating it into a new (larger) building, sort of like is happening across the street? I imagine this would be cheaper and therefore more desirable. But I suppose it depends on the sort of shape the 'bones' of the old Maifair are in...
    Likely it would not be cheaper. The professional is being extended onto unused, well used, but significantly underused space, facing onto Jasper Ave. The old portion of shops are demolished and new pilings and foundations are put into place.
    The Mayfair is already built to the street, the building facades would have to be buttressed and the inner structure removed and new excavations/pilings/foundations put into place to support a larger/taller building. Having the existing walls in place significantly impacts construction and costs in turn sky rocket. So unless there is an existing foundation in place for a larger building, its practically infeasible.

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    Just to reiterate what I said earlier, the building's going to come down, without a doubt. As far as what the final development looks like, I guess that's up in the air in some respects, but there's been preliminary drawings around for awhile now. They're doing their diligence and seeing if it makes sense financially right now, while the building is remediated and prepared for demo.
    Looks like the numbers weren't within budget expectations with what they had in mind. Not sure what Procura intends to do going forward. I thought it was kind of a strange location and configuration for affordable housing, given the value of the land and the costs of a concrete high rise vs. low-rise walk-ups, which are more typical for affordable housing.

ÎMO 109st and jasper should be our premier entertainment corner downtown...and i dont mean just clubs or bars but shops, food, etc. Dont think high end...think yonge st.
    www.decl.org

I take back my previous post, it's looking like things are indeed making sense budget wise and they're most likely going forward. Nothing confirmed, no idea on schedules etc, but this project would go quite fast given the limited underground work required. I believe the hotel has been mostly remediated, so it would come down quite quickly. When that is, I don't know. If they're looking at starting this year, the clock's ticking.

Forbes article (in the Edmontonians) on Del Delke mentions the purchase of her property (west side of 109) by ProCura

I am counting on you guys to post the demolition date once it's known! I really want to see a large scale demolition in person.

Quote Originally Posted by luxbeauty View Post
    I am counting on you guys to post the demolition date once it's known! I really want to see a large scale demolition in person.

The Physics building demolition was a rather spectacular one. They achieved it by lifting a hoe and bobcat onto the top floor (seven I think) and broke it apart floor by floor after the building was gutted. What more could a guy want than sitting in RATT drinking beers and watching a building get demo'd in this matter?

Hmmm...something tells me you were doing that, Lindsey.

And I know what you mean
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

First One is Always Free

I agree Lindsey, the Physics demolition was something to see. That backhoe operator had to be crazy guy, as he was tearing up the concrete floor his machine was standing on.

You guys are making me very jealous.

Default that building by the ibm building

...has been sealed off due to heavy mechanical failure.

man, I used to go by it all the time.

how long has it been like that and what happened?

The mayfair hotel?

being demo'd rebuilt as 2 towers to start as early as the fall!

^water damage/mold.
    www.decl.org

I've heard asbestos was an issue as well and the repair costs were too high, hence the demolition and new towers. Sadly, Funky Pickle went with it, that was one of my favorite downtown lunch spots!

the funky pickle opened up a few blocks to the west... in case your wondering.

grish

should merge this with the other, really long and informative thread.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I didn't know they had plans for new buildings on the site... I mean, I knew something would happen with it, but don't remember hearing much about it. Or maybe I've just forgotten.

There's a whole thread in the B&A section on the Mayfair hotel. No recent news, btw.

There's a whole thread in the B&A section on the Mayfair hotel. No recent news, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    should merge this with the other, really long and informative thread.
    done and done

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    the funky pickle opened up a few blocks to the west... in case your wondering.
    where specifically?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I thought that Procura had made a proposal to develop the site already. It's listed on the projects, proposals, and rumours thread.

Blah, I was looking for the projects, proposals, rumors thread... but I couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Blah, I was looking for the projects, proposals, rumors thread... but I couldn't find it.
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=6598

Here are the recently submitted Development Permits for the Mayfair site.

Job No 79950630-001: To construct an Apartment House ( 223 dwellings).
    10039 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan NB Blk 8 Lot 39
    10045 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan NB Blk 8 Lot 40
    10033 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan NB Blk 8 Lot 37
    ARNDT TKALCIC ARCHITECTURE
    DOWNTOWN

Job No 79951549-001: To construct an Apartment House ( 458 dwellings).
    10845 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 8 Lot 43
    10815 - JASPER AVENUE NW
    Plan NB Blk 8 Lots 44-46
    10051 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan NB Blk 8 Lots 41-42
    DOWNTOWN

Wow, that's a lot of units. It must be quite a development. No commercial space though?

^main floor
    www.decl.org

Excellent. That's a lot of ground floor space for shops etc.

Wow, that's a lot of units. It must be quite a development. No commercial space though?
    As I said months ago, it sort of looks like a low-income or subsidized housing project. Units are very tiny, typically 400-600 square feet with pretty much nothing past 800. And the first floor is commercial.

As long as it looks good on the outside, and it's not filled with junkies, I'm okay with that. There's no need for everything to be finished with granite counter tops etc.

As I said months ago, it sort of looks like a low-income or subsidized housing project. Units are very tiny, typically 400-600 square feet with pretty much nothing past 800. And the first floor is commercial.

A LRT stop away from the U of A, a couple blocks away from Grant Mac, perhaps a completion date slightly before the nait LRT line, located in a fast growing bar district. I can see small units working very well.

wahoo! excellent... let's hope the subsidies will be generous enough to help get some (most?) of those less than desirables off the streets... you know, the one's so heavily vilified throughout the many recent C2E threads.

Surely..... none of the C2E homeless bashers would have concerns with rent subsidies of this nature - surely. I'm certain none of the C2E homeless bashers would have concerns if this new redevelopment became formally recognized (at least in part) as an initiative to assist the homeless. This just might be the measure needed for Procura to move on actual redevelopment. A win-win all around. Certainly the bashers would be pleased and accepting to this - certainly!

From what I am aware, they ARE applying for government help. Whether that be in the form of subsidies or grants or low lost loans or whatever, I don't know. And yes, I do think there's a need for low cost housing downtown and don't have a problem with it.

Should be it the next YMCA? No.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post

A LRT stop away from the U of A, a couple blocks away from Grant Mac, perhaps a completion date slightly before the nait LRT line, located in a fast growing bar district. I can see small units working very well.
    From a location standpoint, this site is very well suited for a rental building. Procura is gearing this towards a market that has very little options for quality, affordable housing.

As long as it looks good on the outside, and it's not filled with junkies, I'm okay with that. There's no need for everything to be finished with granite counter tops etc.
    This will all come down to management and how well they keep a lid on tenants, visitors, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    wahoo! excellent... let's hope the subsidies will be generous enough to help get some (most?) of those less than desirables off the streets... you know, the one's so heavily vilified throughout the many recent C2E threads.

Surely..... none of the C2E homeless bashers would have concerns with rent subsidies of this nature - surely. I'm certain none of the C2E homeless bashers would have concerns if this new redevelopment became formally recognized (at least in part) as an initiative to assist the homeless. This just might be the measure needed for Procura to move on actual redevelopment. A win-win all around. Certainly the bashers would be pleased and accepting to this - certainly!
    This development is not meant for homeless. Don't confuse the term affordable housing with shelters, very different. Affordable housing is typically developed by the private sector where as shelters, half-way houses are developed via the public sector.

The grants Procura will be using will be similar in nature to what Gene Dub used on the City Market lofts.
    Last edited by ChrisD; 23-08-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Timely article from today's Journal:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...7-89ac8886213c
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I can't believe that article wasn't posted until 5pm, lol. Seems like the regular C2E news crew took the day off :P

I think Debra's at her volunteer convention today...Everyone For Edmonton.

I already posted that article yesterday. See 3 posts above yours.

C2E Posting Power

Default Apartment House (Formerly The Morgue)

Anyone have more information or visuals of this?...

Major Development Permit
    To construct an Apartment House ( 223 dwellings).
    10039 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan NB Blk 8 Lot 39
    10045 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan NB Blk 8 Lot 40
    10033 - 109 STREET NW
    Plan NB Blk 8 Lot 37

^Does this have anything to do with Procura?

C2E Posting Power

maybe...Procura is developing quite a bit in this area, 10830-Jasper, Mayfair and west of 109street across from this site

You can find images of this development over here:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=6598

^no this is the site east of 109st.

all i can say at this juncture is that it needs some work
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

I'm pretty sure this is a Procura development.
    Almost always open to debate...

^correct....they have all of the developments in that area:

10830 jasper - office
    110st/jasper - azure - lofts
    cascadia - west side of 109st from AE bldg south to 100ave - mixed use
    no name - east of 109st to 108st on jasper - apartment/retail
    www.decl.org

No more Globe? Hopefully some other bar takes on the get lindseyt wrecked for $30 bucks on a thursday night challenge.

^fox?
    www.decl.org

grish

No more Globe? Hopefully some other bar takes on the get lindseyt wrecked for $30 bucks on a thursday night challenge.
    that's a trick statement. You're already wrecked!!!!

C2E Posting Power

For clarity...

1. 10830-Jasper
    2. Mayfair
    3. Cascadia

The site in question is area (magenta) in the middle. Who owns the SE corner (parking lot) at Jasper/109St?

C2E Continued Contributor

Procura owns the corner lot at Jasper Avenue and 109th Street as well.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That intersection is going to look hawt after those projects are completed. I hope we don't have to wait long

it's amazing how much this corner could change 5 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    that's a trick statement. You're already wrecked!!!!
    it's 9:30 in the morning.....your half right.

^it's quite amazing how this intersection is the state it is still. The 2nd most major intersection downtown...wow Edmonton, wow!
    www.decl.org

^ya, true, but the LRT going under that one lot does create a challenge, especially if you were to do office or something. I think that's why ProCura is going with this scheme.
    www.decl.org

grish

forgot about LRT. Makes for a good little park/ fountain/ public space lined by restaurants and patios then.

^yah that
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GoMod View Post
    For clarity...

1. 10830-Jasper
    2. Mayfair
    3. Cascadia

The site in question is area (magenta) in the middle. Who owns the SE corner (parking lot) at Jasper/109St?

The building going in at "2" goes from 109th to 108th, actually. Or that's the plan at this point.

^correct
    www.decl.org

This is going to be such a nice project.

^collection of projects. There will be upwards of 700 units put there along with a significant street front retail component and likely some office space.

Hello night and day
    www.decl.org

Is ProCura waiting for a decision on the Municipal Airport before proceeding or revising their plans?

^nope...
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Is ProCura waiting for a decision on the Municipal Airport before proceeding or revising their plans?
    No, but there is stuff going on behind the scenes in terms of funding. As I've said in the other thread about these projects, they look very much like low income or subsidized units to me, all under 800 square feet (some much smaller than that), mostly one bedroom/bathroom, and so on. From what I'm aware, Procura is most likely in discussion with various levels of government regarding those two large apartment blocks.

Height isn't an issue here.

Good bye parking lots

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyturtle View Post
    Good bye parking lots
    YAY!!! Now if only we could get rid of some of the other ones in the core, such as BPs giant parking lot.

Addicted to C2E

Having Procura and ATB behind this development is very reassuring. This should really raise the bar for this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    Having Procura and ATB behind this development is very reassuring. This should really raise the bar for this area.
    Yes. It will also show how one can provide affordable housing (whether in the form of ownership or rental) can be done right.

C2E SME

Boy I can't wait to see work on these lands.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

But what about the wind pipes that would apparently only work with Calgary strength wind?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E SME

Well how about this idea. If the city wants to keep the wind pipes, move them to corner of 118 Ave and 97 St. where the giant baseball bat is currently situated. Then move the giant bat to just outside of Telus Field when it would make a little more sense being at.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I was more thinking moving them 300 km South (where they might actually do something other than look out of place) and replacing them with a fine Peter Hide piece, actually.

Link to the current Hide exhibit at the RAM.

(Highly recommended.)

(Good idea about the baseball bat.)
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Posting Power

^sure...i have far more appreciation though for a Richard Serra-esque like sculpture - something monumental in size, explorartive, engaging and elegant forms. Oh and thanks for those important links!

This is still getting kicked around, Procura is still seeing if the numbers work, especially now that construction costs are moderating.

I really hope we see it move forward as that corner desperately needs an overhaul and downtown could very much use an injection of new rental stock.
    www.decl.org

Agreed... that entire 109 St corridor will be a great boost to our downtown if/when they get to work on it and it gets finished.

10830 is going to do big things for that area and push it into an even better direction
    www.decl.org

Lets just hope it can continue.

I dont get how adding low income housing is going to rejuvenate a downtown core already ripe with low income dwellers. Isn't the goal of rejuvenation to Edmonton's core to bring excitement, energy, and a higher standard of living along with some great architecture?

Quote Originally Posted by abz View Post
    I dont get how adding low income housing is going to rejuvenate a downtown core already ripe with low income dwellers. Isn't the goal of rejuvenation to Edmonton's core to bring excitement, energy, and a higher standard of living along with some great architecture?
    Low-income and rental are two very different things abz.

Most renters are of lower income than the people who are paying down payments and live in condos, I can guarantee you the renters of units that are only 400-600 sq. feet will not be high income, white collar residents.

Hmmm, so you're saying that 90% of the people living in Oliver are the kinds of people we don't want living downtown? Sorry, but downtown needs a good mix of condos and rental properties (and not the run-down rentals). I would be very happy to see some decent rentals properties built on that corner.

Most renters are of lower income than the people who are paying down payments and live in condos, I can guarantee you the renters of units that are only 400-600 sq. feet will not be high income, white collar residents.
    right cause new immigrants or students or young professionals need no housing...

and that is completely disregarding the fact that this would likely be nicer rental units and i would guess in the range of $1200-1800/month.
    www.decl.org

My place is 600 sqft. I'm in IT (does that make me any collar at all?). I'm not low income. Most renters are certainly not of lower income. There certainly is a thing called low incoming housing, but low incoming housing doesn't include most rentals, considering the fact that my rental is only slightly less then what a monthly mortgage payment would be.

Central areas should be a mix of everything - this isn't the suburbs where one class tries to separate itself from another...

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast