Thread: Red Bull Crashed Ice

C2E Super Addict

Default Red Bull Crashed Ice

How about hosting this?

http://www.redbullcrashedice.ca/

Previous venues were Helsinki, Quebec City, Prague, etc

( and in the summer, the air race... )

C2E Posting Power

Saw a bit of the Quebec City race - felt so much like a Canadian hick watching it.
    Xelebes

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by psiebold1
    Saw a bit of the Quebec City race - felt so much like a Canadian hick watching it.
    Getting tired of this & find it offensive!

C2E Posting Power

Yes?
    Xelebes

I saw a segment on TV about it some time ago and thought Edmonton would be a natural to host it.

As for that Canadian hick comment, the fact that it was also held in Prague and Helsinki kinda negates that, doesn't it?

C2E Posting Power

True, but I only watched the one in Quebec City...
    Xelebes

C2E Hard Core Contributor

This is something Edmonton has to go after. Imagine this on the legislature grounds.....

First One is Always Free

What a cool looking sport!! Edmonton - we could so do this!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Only if they run it in the valley
    East side of the High level parallel to bridge
    Steep East slope into Hawerlake-Mayfair

C2E Super Addict

Which Councillor has the "winter festival" mandate again? Might be worth starting with him / her. Not that this is a festival in itself but could be a component, or a separate event all together.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Last year, competition was fueled by booze as well as Red Bull. Better suited for Quebec or Fort Mac.

C2E Long Term Contributor

how about down groat road or bellamy hill or vic hill or the sort
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I think some of you guys might be over estimating the steepness of terrain required for such an event.

It seems most of the verticle can be built with scaffold type stuff. IMO such an event, with the possibilty of 75000 people needs to be as close to downtown as possible.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-uS4...eature=related

Addicted to C2E

That is totally wild. It's perfectly suited for Edmonton's higher-than-average 20-29 male population. I think it could do very well here. and yeah ^^ it's gotta be downtown or strathcona.

Quote Originally Posted by Chump
    Which Councillor has the "winter festival" mandate again? Might be worth starting with him / her. Not that this is a festival in itself but could be a component, or a separate event all together.
    Ben Henderson
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power

Just to clarify by my Canadian Hick comment, I'm saying that I feel like I'm from the Carolinas watching NASCAR or get the same feeling as that. It does look like an interesting sport and I wouldn't mind it at all in this city. It'd be something I'd go to.
    Xelebes

OK, 105 street hill
    Mit Zig Zags Yah?!

What the hell, i'll say it.

The notion of speeding on ice downhill on skates reaching top speeds of over 65MPH practiced by some less than ideal conditioned or trained participants is, well, a licence to injury.

Putting multiple skaters simultanously on the track approaches insane.

Is there something in the air these days that posseses people to have to do ever more extreme stuff to "feel alive"

Nothing like pain and injury and unneeded use of healthcare.

Whats next? 100skydivers jumping simultaneously in a very precarious and dangerous manouvre? Oh wait.. that happened last week.

Skydiving without parachutes?

Redbullcrashed ice rush downhill on iced groatroad against traffic?

Just for an added kick?

Darwinism in action.

Well that said, look at the sponsor and preferred "mix" for redbull, vodka....
    I suspect at some point there will be a flurry of flying blades into the crowd during an "over the barrier" crash, with similar results to the motorsport ralley races

C2E Continued Contributor

I can't believe all the negative comments about this event.

Hicksville, Redbull, vodka, unneeded use of healthcare, blah, blah, blah. Sounds like Edmonton would be a shoe-in for the World Lawn Bowling Championships. Maybe Red Rose tea could be the sponsor. The ESO could perform at the tailgate party!

*insert rolly-eyed emoticon here*

The comments are not negative, if you read there were valid locations recommended.
    They may however reflect the fact that this sport may draw a very specific audience
    Quote: "higher-than-average 20-29 male"
    I assume that I am free to draw my own conclusions to the definition of the term "higher"

Quote Originally Posted by soycd
    I can't believe all the negative comments about this event.

Hicksville, Redbull, vodka, unneeded use of healthcare, blah, blah, blah. Sounds like Edmonton would be a shoe-in for the World Lawn Bowling Championships. Maybe Red Rose tea could be the sponsor. The ESO could perform at the tailgate party!

*insert rolly-eyed emoticon here*
    What particular difficulty do you have with my post?

Do you question that something like this would inevitably lead to a high or perhaps unacceptable risk. Certainly an unnecessary one.

The emergency wards are dealing with rapidly increasing recreational injury in this country with some recrreations being much more potentially injurious than others.

Is it at some point valid for some citizens to begin to question and decry the need for such events. or suggest discontent for paying for unnecessary injury and healthcare expenditure?

Has that point not been reached or do other activities like human pinball cannonball demolition derby without nets need to occure before I can make this comment.

We all pay for the healthcare needs from this both now and in the future.

In a world where we build concrete skate parks for kids to injure themsleves in to protect them from other harm perhaps some rethinking is in order... but no, clearly I'm a hack with nothing better to do and no skateboard park injuries (present or cumulative damage)occur either..

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline
    The comments are not negative, if you read there were valid locations recommended.
    They may however reflect the fact that this sport may draw a very specific audience
    Quote: "higher-than-average 20-29 male"
    I assume that I am free to draw my own conclusions to the definition of the term "higher"
    The particlular sport has even conditioned athletes doing something they've never ever done before in an acclimitizing graduated training. On skates at even moderate inclines speed quickly ramps up and speeds to 65MPH are reported. Protected by nothing but your helmet, padding, human skeletal structure, and course "safety" provisions.

Competitive downhill skiing is a high risk activity. But combatants have trained years on the specific terrains before any notion of going full bore. They can also carve, correct, or even bail if out of control speed is imminent.

This redbull activity however is more like going down very steep hills at 65mph(toboggans don't go anywhere close to that speed)with no breaking ability and very little control.

Once out of the gate you hope to hit bottom safely. Very little corrective ability I would assume.

I would look forward to a participant correcting my notions if they are wrong.

This is like taking kids out skiing in the mountains who have never skiied before and the course has only EXPERT runs...

Wheres the graduation to this speed and incline? how many people are experienced skating downhill on sheer ice inclines?

All sports and recreational activity carry some kind of risk of physical harm. Even lawn bowling and golf. Should we ban all of it then, Replacement?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    All sports and recreational activity carry some kind of risk of physical harm. Even lawn bowling and golf. Should we ban all of it then, Replacement?
    No. I agree that all activity poses some associated risk.

But given that is it not reasonable for some person to suggest that THIS activity in question is not extremely high risk? perhaps too much so to be sanctioned activity?

I'm clearly argueing relative risk, you know that, and I suspect you are just getting me to clarify.

I do think at some point the *cost* of certain activities exceeds any potential health or other benefit obtained through them.

That said I'm a bit pragmatic

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    .........no breaking ability and very little control.

Once out of the gate you hope to hit bottom safely. Very little corrective ability I would assume.
    Kinda like the skeleton, 'cept they reach speeds of 130 km/hr.

Equipment worn:

- alpine racing helmet with chinguard, or a skeleton specific helmet
    - skin-tight racing speedsuit
    - spiked shoes, similar to track spikes
    - goggles or face shields
    - optional elbow and shoulder pads under their suits

.........no breaking ability and very little control.

Kinda like the skeleton, 'cept they reach speeds of 130 km/hr.

Equipment worn:

- alpine racing helmet with chinguard, or a skeleton specific helmet
    - skin-tight racing speedsuit
    - spiked shoes, similar to track spikes
    - goggles or face shields
    - optional elbow and shoulder pads under their suits
    Call me a wuss but the notion of going headfirst on a sled never appealed to me much as a kid and I resisted the lemming off a cliff response..

But bobsled runs that "skeleton" runs take place in are very enclosed banks that make "escaping" the course quite unlikely.

You ever seen a bobled or skeleton sled leave a course? Rare. You ever seen runs where they have simultaneous sleds to crash and careen into each other?

You can also slow down a skeleton sled by any number of means while you get used to the track. You wouldn't as a novice take first runs at 130km never having tried the sport or track before.

Is this really a valid comparison?

Is this really a valid comparison?
    Absolutely. No braking ability and little control - much like skeleton.

Anyway, watch the video it's rather obvious that the participants are wearing full hockey equipment including full face shields. Also, I didn't find anywhere on the website that says they race up to 65 km/hr as you suggest. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction as I missed it. No matter. Olympic speed skaters (short track) will reach speeds of 60 km/hr. and NHL players will reach 35 km/hr. I doubt the Crash Ice dudes are going faster than 40 km/hr.

No doubt you would have to be an excellent skater to attempt such a competition and it certainly doesn't look as dangerous as it sounds. I certainly would have attempted it in my younger days. The crunches and spills don't appear to be any worse than what one would experience in a hockey game.

I think a competition like this would thrive in Edmonton. It could be an anchor event to a winter carnival.

Two thumbs up!

C2E Super Addict

Ya it's risky behavior. So are most extreme sports. Ever watch the X games?

Last I checked it was also voluntary.

However, watching the vid I did have one concern about the audience hanging over the railings like that - a skate blade to the face during a wipeout. Thats an issue that could be addressed however.

In any case would be a neat thing to host.

Sure I have. Guess what my opinion of them is.

Yep. Testosterone doesn't always allow good decisions. So its voluntary. Should societies contribution to paying for the costs of injury related to this also be voluntary?
    Heres a point of interest. If you got people to sign a healthcare waiver that all injury and related costs would be the participants own responsibility and that medical service would NOT be provided by public healthcare due to injury guess what? All participants would sign the waver. You know why? Because anybody that would participate in this event is skewed to a perspective that draws very little connection between risk taken and injury. They would be the type of individual that feel they are invincible and no significant injury would occur to them. They would also likely be the type of individual that regularly takes similar "thrill" risks such as extreme sports. Extreme junkies who justify their behavior and choices because of the thrill of it. Push the envelope. Push the envelope.

Oddly enough their numerous previous injuries that haven't yet stopped them would reinforce to them that all is well regardless of what action they undertake. They are bereft of an understanding of how such cumulative injury will effect them later in life for instance when arthritis kicks in. One body. One life. Seldom recognized.

Thats all fine from the perspective of individual choice. But these activities should not be publically sanctioned, sponsored, and paid for. Society for instance has outlawed basejumping in many jurisdictions. people are even arrested and detained and charged for engaging in what they all describe as a "safe" activity and decry the publics efforts to prevent it. They are oblivious to the danger and seemingly need to be protected from their own folly.

However, watching the vid I did have one concern about the audience hanging over the railings like that - a skate blade to the face during a wipeout. Thats an issue that could be addressed however.
    Yes. Watching guys routinely hurl over each other like rollerderby out of control and guys falling down and being jumped over I also worry about lacerations to other participants, I worry about this too in short track speed skating ftr and results would bear me out.

In some sports the risk doesn't seem to be properly understood and often because of how novel the sport is.

C2E Super Addict

Sure I have. Guess what my opinion of them is.

Yep. Testosterone doesn't always allow good decisions. So its voluntary. Should societies contribution to paying for the costs of injury related to this also be voluntary?
    Heres a point of interest. If you got people to sign a healthcare waiver that all injury and related costs would be the participants own responsibility and that medical service would NOT be provided by public healthcare due to injury guess what? All participants would sign the waver. You know why? Because anybody that would participate in this event is skewed to a perspective that draws very little connection between risk taken and injury. They would be the type of individual that feel they are invincible and no significant injury would occur to them. They would also likely be the type of individual that regularly takes similar "thrill" risks such as extreme sports. Extreme junkies who justify their behavior and choices because of the thrill of it. Push the envelope. Push the envelope.

Oddly enough their numerous previous injuries that haven't yet stopped them would reinforce to them that all is well regardless of what action they undertake. They are bereft of an understanding of how such cumulative injury will effect them later in life for instance when arthritis kicks in. One body. One life. Seldom recognized.

Thats all fine from the perspective of individual choice. But these activities should not be publically sanctioned, sponsored, and paid for. Society for instance has outlawed basejumping in many jurisdictions. people are even arrested and detained and charged for engaging in what they all describe as a "safe" activity and decry the publics efforts to prevent it. They are oblivious to the danger and seemingly need to be protected from their own folly.

Yes. Watching guys routinely hurl over each other like rollerderby out of control and guys falling down and being jumped over I also worry about lacerations to other participants, I worry about this too in short track speed skating ftr and results would bear me out.

In some sports the risk doesn't seem to be properly understood and often because of how novel the sport is.
    I'm going to participate in derailing my own thread, but I can't help myself...

Firstly, how do you know the risk isn't properly understood? Just because someone is more likely to undertake a risk does not mean they don't understand it.

But my main question to you would be: where do you draw the line, Replacement?

What about downhill skiing (recreational)? Trust me, the number of injuries and cost to the health care system from that individual sport is significant. Far more so that one crashedice episode ever would be I'm sure.

What about: waterskiing? wakeboarding? snowboarding? rollerblading? downhill sledding?
    What about: wrestling? kickboxing? judo? karate? etc

The list goes on and on.

[quote="Chump"][quote="Replacement"]
    I'm going to participate in derailing my own thread, but I can't help myself...
    The thread was derailed from the start and before I posted. May as well cover this angle as litttle other interest is being created.

Firstly, how do you know the risk isn't properly understood? Just because someone is more likely to undertake a risk does not mean they don't understand it.
    Generally from people that engage in extreme sports, skydiving, base jumping or from books, articles, and personal contacts. There is a species of person that looks at this stuff entirely as frolicking good fun and don't seem to take the risks seriously or even gauge the risks adequately. Earlier in the thread I referenced a 100skydiver jump that was undertaken last week. They jumped and went into an extremely risky 100 parachute vertical formation. Almost miraculously there were no accidents or casualties but IMO an insane feat practiced selectively by people that do this recreationally. I know some paratroopers that jump for a living that shake their heads at that type of nonsense or basejumping.

I can't help but be reminded of the basejumpers that have filmed their exploits "to show how safe the activity is" only to have the camera capture their crash to death. Its terrible IMO to hear the colleagues comment "well at least they died doing what they loved and they would've wanted to go out that way" or 'nothing bad would've happened if the wind didn't blow them back into the building or if the chute opened properly... or (editorial comment- they just didn't do the jump)

It seems as if theres more respect for the inherent danger of an acitivity if you do it out of necessity vs recreationally.

But my main question to you would be: where do you draw the line, Replacement?
    I've already commented a bit but Ok.
    I'm a 46 yr old active man. I've had previous knee injuries from higher risk activities like Downhill Skiing, Hockey, work, when I was in my 20's. I subsequently continued to injure them at work till I required new employment. I've lived with significant injuries to both of my knees for close to a quarter century. Trust me the average person has no idea how much impact something like that or worse can have on a persons life.

Forever.

My orthopeodic surgeon has been telling me for a decade its inevitable that i'll require knee replacement in both legs. I won't even describe what this involves. It does motivate me to do EVERYTHING to prove him wrong and to not have to go through this operative procedure.

I train regualrly, I've rehabbed my knees as well as its possible to, I've improved stability, range of motion and have added ample supportive strength in my leg musculature through 20 years of training. I stay away from harmful or dangerous activity that would cause me reinjury.

But one has to remain active.

I do cycle, walk, hike, swim, train, play tennis(carefully) skate(carefully) snowshoe on powder, and rollerblade(carefully) At all costs I've sworn off team sports or impact exercize. Of the above hiking is my favorite passtime and sometime I think its another main reason for all my dedication. its a passion and I want to be able to do it as long as I live.

What about downhill skiing (recreational)? Trust me, the number of injuries and cost to the health care system from that individual sport is significant. Far more so that one crashedice episode ever would be I'm sure.

What about: waterskiing? wakeboarding? snowboarding? rollerblading? downhill sledding?
    What about: wrestling? kickboxing? judo? karate? etc
    I don't do any of these anymore and i'd encourage people to pick their sporting and exercize related activities very carefully. Not doing so can have enormous consequence.

Trust me I know too.

I thank you for you patience and have no bad intent in writing what I have. I'm not trying to be a troll and just trying to get a word of caution out. I watch these videos and its apparent to me these guys are seeing this as nothing but a joyride without consequence.

lest you think this is just engrained in my expereince I'm far from alone. people with a couple decades of sporting experience that are now middle age can all tell you their stories.

Again one body. One life. Use it wisely. I learned this after.

We could all learn a lesson from this young pup and cover ourselves in bubble wrap and the world will be a safer place!

Of course I'm just kidding!

:]

We could all learn a lesson from this young pup and cover ourselves in bubble wrap and the world will be a safer place!

Of course I'm just kidding!

:]
    Yeah I realize there were probably some violins playing as you read my post as I ws shooting for a bit too much melodrama

C2E Super Addict

Well for what its worth I know about sports injuries, and other injuries for that matter, and long term consequences, both from personal experience and work.

But you never did answer my question: where do you draw the line?

Is the risk of non fatal injury higher in base jumping than it is in recreational downhill skiing? While its tempting to think so, I really wonder. I'm not talking risk perception here, I'm talking numbers, rates, incidence, direct and indirect costs, etc.

Clearly some sports are riskier than others. Recreational downhill skiing is actually one of the riskiest, in terms of risk of injury. It would be interesting to know what the burden on the health care system is from injuries (and their long term effects) secondary to downhill skiing. Probably much higher than crashedice or even base jumping, though thats largely due to the number of participants involved (before adjusting for those numbers). However, if your concern is in fact impact on the health care system, then absolute numbers (not rates) are in fact relevant.
    Requiring some sport participants to sign a waiver exempting them from health insurance is a slope much more sliipery than the one in the video...that's the only point I was getting at.

Friday, March 9, 2018

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Tired of being taken advantage of .

Wonderful to see so many people Downtown last night.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Great evening with the kid down at Crashed Ice. They need to work on really making this an event. I got down at 5:00, and the first race didn't happen until 8:00. The announcers spoke intermittently, and they had some features on the big screens, but there really wasn't anything else happening down there. There was no re-entry to the event, so they needed some ongoing entertainment in the event area. They also need to work on wayfinding, as everyone seemed confused trying to find the entrance. There is a ton of potential, and Edmontonians want to support this, so I think the city and event organizers really need to put in the work to make this a week long Winter celebration.

So many problems. Without even properly notifying the crowd the event just completely canned the round of 64. It didn't even happen. They were overly cautious with the course and feeling like they couldn't get off all the rounds and so they just eliminated 32 skaters. That's 8heats, one hour of advertised/scheduled entertainment that they just canned.

To add to the confusion noted above regarding way finding and contributing to the utter confusion at gates what occurred is they SHUT the main gate at JASPER and SCC at 6;45 telling everybody to go to the other two gates. This provided a nightmare of traffic on the stairs and funicular. Just completely stupid. 35 people were trying to cram into the funicular when it can't operate with that weight. As a safety precaution the doors I think don't close if weight is exceeded. Meaning that everybody was cramming down the stairs. Some people that were drunk didn't realize in the crowd going down the stairs that their are odd concrete abutments randomly distributed on the stairs. A few people wiped out. Just ridiculous. Literally thousands of people were trying to proceed that way. It was a gongshow. everybody was rushing too as they thought the event was starting at 7 still. They didn't even let people know they have plenty of time to get situated and that the start was delayed. Apparently they shut the SCC gate as too many people were just congregating near that exit and nobody could get through. There was no audio/loudspeaker communication of what was taking place. Just people appearing at the closed main gate and being told to enter elsewhere. The narrow sidewalk West of the Mac, to the Funicular is not designed for a thousand or more people trying to funnel in there. Its a narrow sidewalk.

No bands playing anywhere I could see. Zero entertainment for hours. Good luck if you arrived at this at 4pm and waited until 8pm for something to happen. You would be asleep by then. Jasper AVe completely shut off but hardly anything going on there. A few promotional kiosks near the Hyatt but NOTHING from Canada Place to 96st. Anybody expecting a festival like atmosphere on Jasper Ave wasn't getting it. There was ZERO entertainment on the Ave. A few tourists were trying to find an ATM machine anywhere. There were none in sight. They had to go all the way to the Mac to locate one. SCC was completely shut off. EVen if you had tickets you couldn't enter that way.

lol we listened to one person talking to security saying all they wanted to do was go home. 95th was shut off, all SCC stairs and entire conference Center was shut off for multiple hours. The guy was just trying to get back home. With everything shut down he was telling me he would have to detour (he was walking) an extra mile in the dark to get home. I find it interesting when theres events like this they just block off EVERY access and even Every river valley access.

Finally, After the event I watched on TV. What HORRIBLE camera placement. ZERO skyline features, no buildings seen, No Mac in background. Basically all of Edmonton featured in the video footage of this was a few scraggly dead trees. What a stupid location to visually showcase Edmonton. This event is supposed to showcase the cities it is situated in. Edmonton may as well have been Regina. Not one Edmonton Landmark could be spotted in the coverage and camera placement.

Contrast this to the type of footage one see's when the event runs in say Marseille or Quebec City. Basically there was nothing seen of Edmonton in the footage of this event.

Considering the COE books this for exposure that is a huge problem.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-03-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    So many problems. Without even properly notifying the crowd the event just completely canned the round of 64. It didn't even happen. They were overly cautious with the course and feeling like they couldn't get off all the rounds and so they just eliminated 32 skaters. That's 8heats, one hour of advertised/scheduled entertainment that they just canned.

To add to the confusion noted above regarding way finding and contributing to the utter confusion at gates what occurred is they SHUT the main gate at JASPER and SCC at 6;45 telling everybody to go to the other two gates. This provided a nightmare of traffic on the stairs and funicular. Just completely stupid. 35 people were trying to cram into the funicular when it can't operate with that weight. As a safety precaution the doors I think don't close if weight is exceeded. Meaning that everybody was cramming down the stairs. Some people that were drunk didn't realize in the crowd going down the stairs that their are odd concrete abutments randomly distributed on the stairs. A few people wiped out. Just ridiculous. Literally thousands of people were trying to proceed that way. It was a gongshow. everybody was rushing too as they thought the event was starting at 7 still. They didn't even let people know they have plenty of time to get situated and that the start was delayed. Apparently they shut the SCC gate as too many people were just congregating near that exit and nobody could get through. There was no audio/loudspeaker communication of what was taking place. Just people appearing at the closed main gate and being told to enter elsewhere. The narrow sidewalk West of the Mac, to the Funicular is not designed for a thousand or more people trying to funnel in there. Its a narrow sidewalk.

No bands playing anywhere I could see. Jasper AVe completely shut off but hardly anything going on there. A few promotional kiosks near the Hyatt but NOTHING from Canada Place to 96st. Anybody expecting a festival like atmosphere on Jasper Ave wasn't getting it. There was ZERO entertainment on the Ave. A few tourists were trying to find an ATM machine anywhere. There were none in sight. They had to go all the way to the Mac to locate one. SCC was completely shut off. EVen if you had tickets you couldn't enter that way.

lol we listened to one person talking to security saying all they wanted to do was go home. 95th was shut off, all SCC stairs and entire conference Center was shut off for multiple hours. The guy was just trying to get back home. With everything shut down he was telling me he would have to detour (he was walking) an extra mile in the dark to get home. I find it interesting when theres events like this they just block off EVERY access and even Every river valley access.

Finally, After the event I watched on TV. What HORRIBLE camera placement. ZERO skyline features, no buildings seen, No Mac in background. Basically all of Edmonton featured in the video footage of this was a few scraggly dead trees. What a stupid location to visually showcase Edmonton. This event is supposed to showcase the cities it is situated in. Edmonton may as well have been Regina. Not one Edmonton Landmark could be spotted in the coverage and camera placement.

Contrast this to the type of footage one see's when the event runs in say Marseille or Quebec City. Basically there was nothing seen of Edmonton in the footage of this event.

Yikes, a bit of a letdown...

I'll add another key point. The COE pays for this event, all its costs, (including massive costs of policing, setting up closures, coordinating etc and its got a one time time slot on one Channel, CBC, at Midnight on the evening that clocks go back.

So that I watched the 90minutes coverage which started at midnight and ended at 2;30am due to the time change. In the industry this is known as the worst time slot possible. Its not broadcast live, its not primetime. Its the twilight zone time zone change slot. Usually channels will put old movies into a slot like that. To add to the misery Shaw and other providers and listings had the program denoted as the RED BULL NIAGARA 2012 race. I wish I was making this up. So that even somebody viewing channels on the dial doesn't even know this is on. Only a regular watcher of hockey on CBC would know this was going to go on. But not after the game. 1.5hrs after the game. It wasn't even a contiguous time slot.

That's the kind of screwed up exposure this is. I wonder what the ratings were for a program that wasn't even denoted and that had a lousy time slot wherein nobody would be typically watching CBC. CBC due to hockey games owns the 6-11pm timeslot but few people could even tell you whats on CBC at midnight. That CBC weren't even willing to put this on contiguous to the hockey game as an attempt at garnering extended coverage from their bread and butter tells you it wasn't even a priority for them. Its a sleepy timeslot event after they interview Ryan Strome for 30 mins (yawn, yawn, lets put the most boring Oiler with zero fans and put him on the afterhours timeslot) then the nothing CBC news, then 1.5hrs after hockey ratings slip in the Niagara 2012, no, cough, Edmonton 2018 Red Bull Crashed Ice. Its like some insiders at CBC were even trying to screw Edmonton on this or make an inside joke about what broadcast was this. Think about it. This is an event scheduled for a year. How could they have it wrong on all the listings?
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-03-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

No bands playing anywhere I could see. Jasper AVe completely shut off but hardly anything going on there. A few promotional kiosks near the Hyatt but NOTHING from Canada Place to 96st. Anybody expecting a festival like atmosphere on Jasper Ave wasn't getting it. There was ZERO entertainment on the Ave. A few tourists were trying to find an ATM machine anywhere. There were none in sight. They had to go all the way to the Mac to locate one. SCC was completely shut off. EVen if you had tickets you couldn't enter that way.

You have to consider the source. Replacement is the biggest downer in this city. Nothing but negatives.

Blather blah. Were you there? Did you watch? Name one thing that was wrong or inaccurate in the information I provided above. All of this occurred, as described.

Next look up Reductio ad absurdum which would describe several of your posts.

Finally, my post is ON TOPIC content. It provides information on what actually occurred. Yours is droll rebuttal in its worst online form. People can consider whatever they want to and including that your post provided no information on the event.

Maybe you could start a thread telling nobody to listen to me. At least you would be on topic in that one...lol
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-03-2018 at 01:03 PM.

I will say the skating T Rex heat is the funniest thing. I think they do that every race but its good slapstick comedy. They do that well.

The sport has really changed in a short period of time. With years of practice and training the competitors are much better at this than they used to be. The courses are longer, harder, more technically difficult and the top skaters perform essentially flawlessly. With the races being far less random in winners and the elite almost always rising to the top. I think if they had a course like this 10 yrs ago nobody would get down without wiping out at least once. A decade ago this looked like downhill rollerderby. Now the skill is much better. The digs on the hairpin turns while going downhill and at speed are literally insane. I don't even know how you control edges like that. The top mens and womens skaters made it look easy.

Then the multiple jumps. In all I can't count the number of times the track requires you to be off your skates and land perfectly at high speed. Technically this seemed quite a course, and more challenging than 2015 and yet for the top competitors it all seemed easy.

^Did you go anywhere for drinks or snacks before or after? Crowds around those establishments?

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    ^Did you go anywhere for drinks or snacks before or after? Crowds around those establishments?
    Had other obligations and had to leave at 8:30. Which kind of sucked as we only got to see half an hour of an event that was supposed to start at 7pm and with people showing up at 4-5pm but with not much going on. For sure there were thousands of people around and it felt fun just from the crowds and people aspect but I could see no entertainment going on in surrounding area. In 2015 there was afairc stage entertainment setup on Jasper Ave. I bet the DT establishments did very well. Hotels were crowded. Checked out Westin, Sutton, Mac, Hyatt, all seemed to be hopping. The Hyatt was volunteer central for the event as well as being the apparent host hotel for the competitors as they were being driven from that site to the "launch area'' heh

I love seeing tourists in this city having a good time and seeing some sites and being helpful in pointing out some of those. It was a nice day to share the city. What a gorgeous day. All over I heard about people saying "this is Edmonton weather, wow". Everybody saying they overdressed expecting it to be cold arctic weather. I was walking around in an open vest, shirt sleeves rolled up, no toque, could almost have gone in shorts. (I never get cold) Lots of people from all over we're in our city this weekend. Accents all over. Nice to see. really loved that.

It was a good time. Had fun in 2015 and at this one. Just lots of disorganization.

Would have been a real cool night for the COE to have an after party on Jasper Avenue. It was really warm. We had a game at Rogers, Events at Citadel, Winspear, Crashed ICe, a real hopping DT. Why not a large after event to kick off what was a huge DT gathering of the clans? It was a great day and night to be outside. felt like spring. The vibe I got is that people wanted it to be more of an outdoor party atmosphere all around. We're a winter festival city, we are now experts at that. Would have been nice to show some of that off for the visitors.

They did at least have outdoor fire pits and such beside Jasper Avenue near Hyatt. That was nice. Saw some visitors enjoying that and saying that it was a nice thing. Throw some fire dancers on the Avenue, a stage, some performance artists like they have at Deep freeze, Silver Skate and the area would have seemed more electric.

Lots of people liked the Hyatt, and the Mac. visitors were impressed with those hotels. I hung around as I love to hear comments and interact.

Finally, there needs to be more event and site interaction. There were 3hrs of downtime before the event with people just wandring. Why not show Edmonton footage and nearby venues on the large screens instead of the talking heads rambling on about nothing for 3hrs. Let visitors know in the footage about Rogers, Winspear Citadel, Art Gallery nearby just waiting for people to visit.

With the splendid Children of God playing just 2 blocks away. Any visitor would be mesmerised by that unforgettable performance. I feel like we don't get don't advertise our strengths enough. Not even the CBC Edmonton ad was showing on the screens during the day or evening. Would have been great to showcase all that. We have to package Edmonton better. Visitors don't seem to know what is here.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-03-2018 at 01:35 PM.

A fun event and an active downtown. So awesome.

Some photos from Saturday, if you weren't there.

^ An actual "skate board," though I'm thinking the technology is still improving.

^ AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!
    Most of the lemmings, errrr, young lads recruited as the anthem flag bearers weren't quite prepared for some of the course's more frightening junctures. (It's funny 'cause no one was hurt.) The Canadian flag didn't fall.

^ How the pros do it, with or without a flag.

^ Nobody puts goalie in a corner!

^ The starting line. Apparently a vertical drop is required to obtain some initial momentum. :O

^ The Croxall brothers tearing it up.

^ Yeah, it's far more terrifying up close and in person.

^ And you get a GoPro, and you get a GoPro, and you get a GoPro ...
    Very happy this event is back. But now it's time to work on the Tour of Alberta ...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^

absolutely correct.

and so were your first two summaries of the evening.

we say we do things well, particularly winter things, but too often we really don’t. we fall flat our faces and don’t even see it because we don’t want to. maybe we’re too eager to believe those we paid good money to who want us to go feel good so we’ll pay good money to have them come back again?

i heard and saw many of the same things you did. most disappointing to me were the camera angles, the on screen drivel; and the lack of animation on jasper avenue - even the bonfires were all out by 8:30. as for the pace/length of the event, i talked to numerous people who were there both nights who commented that friday was much better paced than saturday.

some additional casual observations - we need to figure out some way to close streets without using traffic barriers that look like theyve been through the wars and are there protecting a traffic accident; from those i encountered, our police did a fine job overall and an even better one when it comes to being ambassadors of the city and the department.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Checked out places from Shaw to about 105 Street. Every single place was packed, standing room only. That was around 10pm when it ended.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    A fun event and an active downtown. So awesome.

Some photos from Saturday, if you weren't there.

(...)
    Very happy this event is back. But now it's time to work on the Tour of Alberta ...
    Very good photos, were you close??

^heh you should probably edit your post as you just caused several large pictures to reload everytime sometime tries to open the thread on a mobile devise. No reason to ever quote the pictures.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

T(..)

You have to consider the source. Replacement is the biggest downer in this city. Nothing but negatives.

Given that I have run more than a few events as of late...and even having to read this forum's derailments on a regular basis...

Negativity can be the downer, but you can bet if one person is saying this, others are.

In any harsh critique, the goal is to look at what was said, see if there are opportunities for improvement, and then politely say thanks for the rest.

What I got from Replacement's critique (if I were to do a RCA on this)...the city/organizers/population as a whole need to make this an event they want to see, come back to, etc. That means the small things need to be sweat out in the first couple of years. Replacement's critiques on this thread are loaded with some small things, and some rather glaring questions that should be answered.

I do the same with the Airshow. The post mortem I do on it is quite brutal, and I don't let myself get a swollen head with the flow of rather nice compliments overall. We have a long way to go to make the Airshow and the planned ancillary events both grow and become a part of Edmonton ...just like Crushed Ice does.

I wish them all the success...for if this succeeds, so do we.

All of Replacement's concerns are spot on. I thought it was cool, but it could have been run MUCH better. As I said, it's got potential, but it needs to be executed much better in order to be an asset to the city. I don't know if anyone on here has connections with the city beyond a letter to their councillor, but if they could articulate these concerns to the right people, that would be a good first step.

Hosting this event is a huge opportunity, and if the city can't work out the kinks, we're wasting it.

On a side note, my wife and I went to Chop on Friday for Downtown Dining Week, and the waiter said that they'd gotten a lot of Crashed Ice traffic down there earlier in the evening. Nice to hear that.

Thanks to Richard, Kcantor, HL, Whattagame that have added to the comments and concerns I expressed. First I expressed concerns, but balanced these out not long after with some positive comments.

The good news is walking around and feeling excited that we have some happening facilties DT that one could feel proud about. The Hyatt continues to be such a wondrous addition and it was getting comments and so was Gibson block. That area feels so much different than even a few years ago. So that was shining. Then going to Rogers, going to the various hotels, Citadel, walking around and feeling the excitement. Loved that. The Arts district also getting a lot of love. People were really looking around a bit. At least some were.

But... As the subsequent posters have pointed out its not enough to just unbox Red Bull Crashed Ice and have that be the one off thing. We don't do that for the GC, we don't do that for any of the huge events we host. Why is this getting shortest shrift from the COE? If we're hosting it then make it a party like we make any other world or big type event. Surely we're not too big as a city now to consider Red Bull Crashed Ice as something not worthy of doing our civic best.

This event is a party. That's the whole vibe of it. So throw a party, a great outdoor party and embrace people revelling until late in the night and making DT vibrant on city streets like we say we want to create DT. Are we waiting for Entertainment district to be completed before we accept largescale open air partying in this DT?

Gotta say as well everybody I saw at this event was well behaved, in good spirits, and strictly fun activity. Its kind of a shame that all those people had to go their separate ways so soon in the evening and go to standard issue bars and restaurants to continue revelry, which they could do anywere, and which is hardly unique or memorable.

It seems as if the concerns in this city are more about security and enforcement and trying to throw water on the party as quickly as possible instead of letting a real memorable event occur. I've never been to a Crashed Ice event elsewhere but wouldn't surprise me if there was more going on and for longer than this event.

What is required if hosting is for the COE to throw their own festivities around that which is provided by the event. That way its contributing more than road blocks, barriers, and constables.

Kudos to the few retailers like Hyundai that get behind and sponsor this event and had kiosk and car displays on site. Well done, staff were friendly, lots of vehicles onsite and good displays. I'm sure that's effort well spend by a pretty solid company. Get a lot of people in there looking around at the new models. Basically any other corporate presence was pretty absent at the celebration.

Concur its nice for Chop to get some love. That's a good enjoyable facility. Especially the bar area which has just a good open air feel to it. Its a comfortable space.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-03-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Are the issues the fault organizers of Red Bull or with the city? How much should be on the city?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

It is not a matter of fault, it is having all parties recognize potential deficiencies and rectify if they feel the deficiency is real.

Feedback is not about chopping heads, it is the best way for continuous improvement. The people involved can choose to take this feedback, solicit more, or ignore altogether. From the sounds of the issues presented, this is a combination of things...and areas of responsibility.

@Replacement, I hope you've sent the feedback to the organizers as well. If not, I do know some visit C2E. Hopefully they PM you.

To add:

I do hope they are listening as I want this event to grow here... It is one of the great ideas for the city overall.

It seems as if the concerns in this city are more about security and enforcement and trying to throw water on the party as quickly as possible instead of letting a real memorable event occur.

Yeah Top_Dawg can't help but think that the brew-ha-ha after Canada Day fireworks in 2001 and then again during the 2006 Oilers playoff run continues to spook CofE and EPS.

They want to quell any potential drunk basterd shitshow even when people are generally well behaved.

Concur its nice for Chop to get some love. That's a good enjoyable facility. Especially the bar area which has just a good open air feel to it. Its a comfortable space.
    (...)

Top_Dawg much prefers Rose and Crown.

I agree that there needs to be more stuff going on "around" this event. It needs to be an EVENT.

That is a totally dead area of downtown, and some live bands or something would help give people something more to do. Any love the city put into this was very half-arsed.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    It is not a matter of fault, it is having all parties recognize potential deficiencies and rectify if they feel the deficiency is real.

Feedback is not about chopping heads, it is the best way for continuous improvement. The people involved can choose to take this feedback, solicit more, or ignore altogether. From the sounds of the issues presented, this is a combination of things...and areas of responsibility.

@Replacement, I hope you've sent the feedback to the organizers as well. If not, I do know some visit C2E. Hopefully they PM you.

To add:

I do hope they are listening as I want this event to grow here... It is one of the great ideas for the city overall.
    I have not furthered the comments Richard as its unclear whether my comments are addressed more through the City or Red Bull and I don't know specifically who the organizers are. While my comments are garden variety that have been expressed by others elsewhere, and seemed obvious feedback, I would be more than happy to share the comments with organizers if they expressed interest. Feel free to PM me or have people do that.

What I suspect occurred with this event are a few things;

1) As mentioned resistance to having a street party on Jasper Avenue and the policing costs, setup take down associated with that. This city has shown multiple precedents where it doesn't want to absorb cost or are reticent about hosting such a largescale event. But that means the COE not being full in.

2)Pressure about shutting down Jasper Ave is fairly intense and so they didn't want to put too much up that was going to take longer to take down. I think its a poor excuse but wouldn't surprise me if the COE were not onboard with too much being put directly on the Street. (the exhibitors and other things were mainly located on the sides of the Avenue). There was less actually on the Avenue then there was in 2015.

3)Volunteer, expenditure, or organization fatigue. Simply too much required to put on the event and thus just putting priority on the basics of having the event run, itself, without corollary festival or COE or corporate sponsored addons to the event.

Keeping in mind I mention the above out of sympathy to those involved. certainly I see that any of the above or more could have been barriers to doing more. It is interesting how limited the corporate presence was at this event. Outside of Hyundai it wasn't there. heh, not even Red Bull products were displayed, given out, or sold outside of the area. (like they were in 2015)
    Last edited by Replacement; 13-03-2018 at 06:35 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I forwarded this thread to the people I know in the city. Hopefully they reach out.

Your summation comments are very interesting.

I have run into CoE resistance on some items you mention, and it is often centers around liability. Services access, storefronts, etc...

As for #3, that is really interesting. If you are going to put on an event this size, the scale of your efforts/staffing should reflect it. I know I am learning more as the Airshow grows exponentially...

As for corporate presence...that is a tough nut that many are trying to crack.

If the city is worried about hooligans vandalizing storefronts if there is a street party, the answer is to barricade the sidewalks and make sure the party stays on the street. I don't see why there should be a rush to take things down - how would having Jasper Av closed into Sunday morning be a problem?

The answer isn't more barricades, it's having stores active and participating rather than shuttered and dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    If the city is worried about hooligans vandalizing storefronts if there is a street party, the answer is to barricade the sidewalks and make sure the party stays on the street. I don't see why there should be a rush to take things down - how would having Jasper Av closed into Sunday morning be a problem?
    ^^I don't see how the Sunday closure would be a big thing either but I've heard enough on how the COE admin considers these things as well as the comments made to councillors. If you've been to both the 2015 and 2018 events you know that this time they had far less going on on the Avenue. The setup was minimal.

I was going to single out another comment in regards to the corporate presence. Hyundai was all in on this event. Several vehicles out for display, full sales staff (and they were wonderful) they sponsored the event, had a "Hyundai turn" and their product is very good. I stand by their product, warranty (I'm just a customer) and have been a Hyundai devout for two decades now. So if anybody out there is looking for a new vehicle maybe they could payback good corporate citizenship shown by dropping into a Hyundai showroom this week and looking at their products. One last comment is that they honor their warranty pretty well. Northtown Hyundai were the best experience for us but Southtown Hyundai are still better than most dealerships. When your vehicle is in for service Hyundai will refer you to a low cost rental if required. They used to do loaners for free which was great but this was exceptional service and pared down. Still, if your vehicle is in the shop for a couple days your getting a very preferred rate rental of your choice very cheap. We're a one vehicle family so this has been important.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    The answer isn't more barricades, it's having stores active and participating rather than shuttered and dark.
    Yep, sometimes the most simple solutions are obvious except that the Quarters doesn't have much street front active. That couple blocks still has to transform and get tenants. This would be another reason for Gibson block to have retail on first floor.

In anycase it was nice to have an event bordering the Quarters and getting more love for that area. With Hyatt being a good and useful hotel location that was Volunteer Center for the event as well as the Competitor staging point and probably lots of visitors staying there as well due to proximity. This hotel worked really well in conjunction with the event and the first time the event has run here since the Hotel was completed. In 2015 shuttling competitors was more involved and longer distance. This time it was easy and with golf carts and a 1 block ride from hotel.

^^I don't see how the Sunday closure would be a big thing either but I've heard enough on how the COE admin considers these things as well as the comments made to councillors. If you've been to both the 2015 and 2018 events you know that this time they had far less going on on the Avenue. The setup was minimal.

I was going to single out another comment in regards to the corporate presence. Hyundai was all in on this event. Several vehicles out for display, full sales staff (and they were wonderful) they sponsored the event, had a "Hyundai turn" and their product is very good. I stand by their product, warranty (I'm just a customer) and have been a Hyundai devout for two decades now. So if anybody out there is looking for a new vehicle maybe they could payback good corporate citizenship shown by dropping into a Hyundai showroom this week and looking at their products. One last comment is that they honor their warranty pretty well. Northtown Hyundai were the best experience for us but Southtown Hyundai are still better than most dealerships. When your vehicle is in for service Hyundai will refer you to a low cost rental if required. They used to do loaners for free which was great but this was exceptional service and pared down. Still, if your vehicle is in the shop for a couple days your getting a very preferred rate rental of your choice very cheap. We're a one vehicle family so this has been important.

Was this post hijacked by Bryan Hall?

I wasn't at the event but I watched via live stream on CBC. The only complaint I had was that there was a sever lack of sweeping camera shots of the skyline. I know it has already been mentioned but it was really noticeable to me. The announcers almost never even mentioned the word, "Edmonton." It's as if everybody was trying to ignore the fact that this was taking place in Edmonton. No shots of downtown, no mentioning the city name. Not even bragging about the relative mild temperatures. Just mediocre telecasting.

The event itself was cool to watch though.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

Was this post hijacked by Bryan Hall?
    haha, lordy I'm getting old. Sounds like radio advertising. I promise I won't talk about Tony Roma's..

ps jk would never go to that old grease hole.

The access at the top of Grierson hill was straightforward and easy. It should have been the main access. But getting there wasn't very impressive, as soon as you walk past Hyatt, it becomes dark and majority of the people were just cutting across the icy gravel lots. Some signage or light plants would have helped out of towners. It never felt unsafe due to the constant flux of people but the impression would not have been good on any tourist.

Then once you got down to the track, certain areas of the park was just muddy pits due to the warm weather. Navigating the spectating area was a sport in itself.

I think in future years, they should set up bleachers too. You end up looking at the big screen 95-100% of the time depending where you've situated yourself...

^ All-around good call.

@macriphoto
    www.decl.org