Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
Results 1,901 to 1,929 of 1929

Thread: Famous lives lived...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    A guy every kid absolutely loved way back when.

Now the characters all have to be written with some mean spirited chip on their shoulder.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Chuck Chandler has been a big part of it. I remember him way back in the seventies and Bob Leighton doing the news too, still does. It seems like you know him but actually never met. I remember going to the theatre in the eighties to see a movie filmed here, Fast Company, and Chuck Chandler being the announcer at Speedway Park. Anyone remember that?
    Thanks for this 'Bones.

I'm trying to picture in my minds eye the businesses on the West side of 106 where the parking lot adjacent to First Edmonton place 106/Jasper Ave.

Wish I had a 1970's photo of the area because I had often thought there was a radio station adjacent to the old Embers night club.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Veteran Canadian Film Producer and Broadcaster Felix "Fil" Fraser Dies at 86

Fil Fraser, who worked as a broadcaster, writer, radio, TV and film producer over five decades, died on Sunday of unspecified causes. He was 86 years old.

...Fraser launched the Regina Weekly Mirror newspaper in 1960, and in 1969 became program director and senior producer for Canada's first educational TV station, the Metropolitan Edmonton Educational Television Association, the forerunner of Alberta's ACCESS Network.

From there, Fraser moved in 1971 to the CBC TV station CBXT-TV in Edmonton, where he co-anchored the local supper hour news program from 1971 to 1973, before hosting ITV Television’s Fil Fraser Show. Besides doing radio and TV work in Edmonton during the 1970s, Fraser also ran his own indie production company.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-at-86-1064102

CJCA shut down briefly and was reborn (pun intended) as a Christian station backed by Doug Main. When the mainstream CJCA shut down, a number of people moved over to CHED. That mey be where the confusion comes from.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Veteran Canadian Film Producer and Broadcaster Felix "Fil" Fraser Dies at 86

Fil Fraser, who worked as a broadcaster, writer, radio, TV and film producer over five decades, died on Sunday of unspecified causes. He was 86 years old.

...Fraser launched the Regina Weekly Mirror newspaper in 1960, and in 1969 became program director and senior producer for Canada's first educational TV station, the Metropolitan Edmonton Educational Television Association, the forerunner of Alberta's ACCESS Network.

From there, Fraser moved in 1971 to the CBC TV station CBXT-TV in Edmonton, where he co-anchored the local supper hour news program from 1971 to 1973, before hosting ITV Television’s Fil Fraser Show. Besides doing radio and TV work in Edmonton during the 1970s, Fraser also ran his own indie production company.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-at-86-1064102
    Amazing man. Always doing something noteworthy, from at least the 1970s onward. I wasn't aware that he had been the local CBC anchor.

I might try to watch Why Shoot The Teacher this weekend.
    Last edited by overoceans; 05-12-2017 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    CJCA shut down briefly and was reborn (pun intended) as a Christian station backed by Doug Main.
    And Allan "Lake Of Fire" Hunsperger. I had a brief chat with him once, during the period when he was running that station. Things were cordial enough until I mentioned that I was a New Democrat, and I didn't think Stockwell Day would be a success as Alliance leader. He didn't get angry or anything, but became noticably cooler in his attitude.

CJCA shut down briefly and was reborn (pun intended) as a Christian station backed by Doug Main. When the mainstream CJCA shut down, a number of people moved over to CHED. That mey be where the confusion comes from.
    Thanks.

If I recall CJCA had an hour spot playing "underground music" from 11 to midnight. This would be about 1978. I further thought that out of that came K-97 because they had a sign on the Henry Singer building roof.

I liked Doug Main, great broadcaster. He might even be a c2e member for all I know.

I didn't know much of Fill Fraser but I was aware of him.

There was also a time in its early days when CJCA broadcast on 630 AM before CHED got that frequency.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Really? I always knew it as 930

According to the history KC posted CJCA bounced around the AM dial in the early days, occupying a few different frequencies that would go on to host other stations that we came to associate with those frequencies (like 580 AM that CKUA used to use).
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Thanks.

If I recall CJCA had an hour spot playing "underground music" from 11 to midnight. This would be about 1978. I further thought that out of that came K-97 because they had a sign on the Henry Singer building roof.

I liked Doug Main, great broadcaster. He might even be a c2e member for all I know.
    That would be the time of overnight DJ Jim Keller "Your Keller Force". He got away with a wider playlist than the daytime DJ's. Eventually, he wandered a bit too far afield and the station let him go. I was working at a gas bar on the graveyard shift on weekends my final year of high school. Used to call in requests all the time and had a few long conversations with him in the wee hours.

^Thanks for that.

I know unrelated to this topic but since when has that stopped c2e posters before?

When i was working at the Army & Navy in the late 1970's Great West Saddlery building while they were moving house to what's now known as Cobogo lofts, I came across a couple large recordings in generic sleeves of The Shadow. These were probably 18" platters. My boss at the time said I could have them. There were 2 records. So I took them over to the Hobbit shop and gave them to Carmine, since i knew he had a little side business of old time radio shows on cassettes. True story.

I only found out recently that Orson Wells, played the radio voice of The Shadow.

I used to work at Hobbits, all three locations. I remember seeing them. Unfortunatly Camen passed away a few years ago so I have no idea what happened to them.

I used to work at Hobbits, all three locations. I remember seeing them. Unfortunatly Camen passed away a few years ago so I have no idea what happened to them.
    Wow, its a small world. I think I should know you. Too bad about Carmen. Amazing you remember the records. I'm the guy with the glasses and crooked back. I used to hang out with the SCA people. Is Bruce Thompson still around? PM me if you like

Last I heard Bruce was teaching at MacEwan. It was a long time ago but I have a vague memory of you. So many people though.

I used to wear glasses, hung later with Richard Lord and Ellen. I recall, you used to have short rust/sandy coloured hair, about 6'2 something. Hard to believe that Bruce is teaching. Was teaching his day job in the Hobbit days? A little confused about the Embers, did it burn down or was it just demolished?
    Last edited by envaneo; 05-12-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Do I detect a Kumbaya moment here despite all the rancor? Sorry guys I couldn't resist but it's good to see people reconnect.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I used to wear glasses, hung later with Richard Lord and Ellen. I recall, you used to have short rust/sandy coloured hair, about 6'2 something. Hard to believe that Bruce is teaching. Was teaching his day job in the Hobbit days? A little confused about the Embers, did it burn down or was it just demolished?
    Nope, I'm 5'11, brown hair and glasses. Bruce had blonde hair and a short beard. Wes was about 6 foor with a big mustache and looked like Tom Selleck's younger brother. Carmen was shorter with dark hair. Derek was older and had a British accent. Derek ran the gaming side. Carmen was in charge of video. Bruce did books @ comics and Wes and I did pretty much everything as needed.

^ I was confusing you with Wes and i recall there was a "younger fellow" there at the time a bit later, shortly before the first location was moving house. I remember Derek. He was into formula One race cars. I remember when the new vcr's came in that da and Carmen was so excited over them. These were the vcr's with the long remote control cords (if I recall) Do you remember Gerald Schiller? Don't know if the name is spelled right. What became of the embers building? I wish I had a street photo of 106th street lookin East/West. Good times. I believe the locations were, 106th street, Boardwalk basement, and finale ~ 1985 near the Manulife building.

I'll lt you have the last word here.

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Do I detect a Kumbaya moment here despite all the rancor? Sorry guys I couldn't resist but it's good to see people reconnect.
    Edmonton in some was/is a small community.

Truly. Although I wasn't a regular Hobbits customer I probably went there enough to have cross paths as well.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

^ I was confusing you with Wes and i recall there was a "younger fellow" there at the time a bit later, shortly before the first location was moving house. I remember Derek. He was into formula One race cars. I remember when the new vcr's came in that da and Carmen was so excited over them. These were the vcr's with the long remote control cords (if I recall) Do you remember Gerald Schiller? Don't know if the name is spelled right. What became of the embers building? I wish I had a street photo of 106th street lookin East/West. Good times. I believe the locations were, 106th street, Boardwalk basement, and finale ~ 1985 near the Manulife building.

I'll lt you have the last word here.
    The "Younger fellow" was probably me. I started at the 106 st location when Little Wars as a separate but related shop outside the main Hobbits.

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Truly. Although I wasn't a regular Hobbits customer I probably went there enough to have cross paths as well.
    No doubt. Little wars next door down the hall was where I got all my S&T/Moves magazines. I recall when Bill from Dark Star and Bruce and I went to an Oilers game in 1982, crazy.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Former NHL defenseman Zarley Zalapski, 49
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Last edited by Drumbones; 12-12-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens Dies at 62

Permanently bricked up Behind the Wall of Sleep - fond farewell to one of my favourite bands says 15 year old me.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Some high profile executive deaths in just a short time span

Hunter Harrison, CSX CEO and former head of CP Rail and CN Rail, dies at 73
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hunt...uary-1.4452850

Apotex founder Barry Sherman and wife, Honey Sherman, found dead in North York home
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...otex-1.4451452
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920