Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,600 of 2060

Thread: Famous lives lived...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Not the voice, the person inside the costume.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Default ALF actor ......

Michu Meszaros, the actor who played "ALF" in the popular '80s sitcom, has died, according to longtime friend and manager Dennis Varga.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/13/entert...ies/index.html
    Last edited by Barry N; 14-06-2016 at 09:09 AM.

Lee Valley Tools founder Leonard Lee dies

Leonard Lee, the founder of popular Ottawa woodworking and gardening tool retailer Lee Valley Tools, died Thursday morning at the age of 77

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Robert-Ralph Carmichael, artist behind loonie coin, dies

More than 1 billion of the $1 coins he designed are in circulation

Not many artists can say that their artwork has been reproduced more than a billion times.

But Robert-Ralph Carmichael was able to, thanks to his design for Canada's new one-dollar coin back in 1987 — a coin that came to be popularly known as the loonie because of Carmichael's iconic image of a solitary loon on the coin's reverse.

Carmichael died on Saturday in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., at the age of 78.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/robe...dies-1.3683942

C2E Long Term Contributor

Garry Marshall, 'Happy Days' Creator and Director of 'Pretty Woman,' Dies at 81 http://thr.cm/v9VHJR
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Jack Davis

This being c2e, I wonder if anyone remembers an advertising poster he did for AGT back in the 90s, featuring a housewife talking on the phone.

Bobby Curtola, one-time teen idol, to be honoured in Edmonton Tonight

Sixties pop idol Bobby Curtola, who died in June, will be honoured in Edmonton Tuesday evening.

A public memorial hosted by the Curtola family will take place at the Ranch Roadhouse, 6107 104th St.

The memorial will feature stories, performances and rare video footage.

The former teen idol and 1960s heartthrob died June 4 at 73.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nton-1.3703945

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 03-08-2016 at 09:25 PM. Reason: replaced crappy Global story with more superior CBC story
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sad. Mr. Hurtig founded, Audrey's, Greenwoods and (I can't recall the other one) bookstores here in Edmonton. Audrey's is still around. I'm a regular there. I remember when he had his publishing company right under/beside the old 105th street bridge. I never met him personally but from the article, he seemed like a great guy.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

David Huddleston, 85, "The Big Lebowski"

After Star Wars was released, and was blowing everyone away with its quantum jump in special effects, there were rumours that C3P0 and R2D2 were unmanned, ie. there were no actors inside, just robots that were moving about on their own(maybe via remote-control, or from being preprogrammed).

I remember getting into an argument at school, in which a bunch of us defended the claim that the robots were moving on their own, against some other kids who were skeptical. In defense of the theory, it was pointed out that on a TV documentary about the making of the movie, some set hands were shown moving C3P0, and the narrator described him as a "friend"(or words to that effect).

On a later trip to Universal Studios(not the Star Wars studio, fwiw), I asked the tour guide if it was true that the robots were really moving on their own, and he quickly disabused me of the notion. Gotta say, I was pretty disappointed.

Mauril Bélanger, longtime Ottawa-Vanier MP, dies of ALS at 61

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...555135?cmp=rss

Mauril Bélanger, the long-serving Liberal member of Parliament for Ottawa-Vanier, has died at age 61. Bélanger was diagnosed with ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease, following the 2015 federal election, and his condition had deteriorated rapidly.
    At the moment when Bélanger should have been celebrating his eighth electoral triumph as the member of Parliament for Ottawa-Vanier, he had struggled to find his voice to make a victory speech.
    And yet even in his final days, Bélanger summoned his remaining strength eight months later to attend a vote in the House of Commons where his colleagues backed his private member's bill to make the lyrics of the national anthem more representative of all Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Sad. Mr. Hurtig founded, Audrey's, Greenwoods and (I can't recall the other one) bookstores here in Edmonton. Audrey's is still around. I'm a regular there. I remember when he had his publishing company right under/beside the old 105th street bridge. I never met him personally but from the article, he seemed like a great guy.
    Hate to break the news but Gail, Brad and Laurie Greenwood founded Greenwood's Bookshoppe Ltd.

Arthur Hiller, Director of ‘Love Story,’ Dies at 92

He was born in Edmonton, where his parents operated a Yiddish school and theatre.

After leaving the University of Alberta to join the Royal Air Force during the Second World War, he studied psychology at the University of Toronto and law at the University of British Columbia. He eventually decided to go into communications, applying for a job at Canada's CBC network in Toronto.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/obit-art...ller-1.3725102
    Last edited by North Guy66; 17-08-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

He was born in Edmonton, where his parents operated a Yiddish school and theatre.

After leaving the University of Alberta to join the Royal Air Force during the Second World War, he studied psychology at the University of Toronto and law at the University of British Columbia. He eventually decided to go into communications, applying for a job at Canada's CBC network in Toronto.

Born and raised in Edmonton, graduated from Victoria High School, now Victoria School of the Arts.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    Hate to break the news but Gail, Brad and Laurie Greenwood founded Greenwood's Bookshoppe Ltd.
    I've been to Greenwoods many times and the inside looked very similar to Audrey's. Then what were the other 2 book stores Hurtig founded?

I've been to Greenwoods many times and the inside looked very similar to Audrey's. Then what were the other 2 book stores Hurtig founded?
    Hurtig founded Hurtig's Books which had three stores. I think Audrey's originated as one of those. Greenwoods was not related ASFAIK.

James Woolley (Nine Inch Nails keyboardist), 50
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...y-dead-w434907

My favorite NIN video he appeared in

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Hurtig founded Hurtig's Books which had three stores. I think Audrey's originated as one of those. Greenwoods was not related ASFAIK.
    His first book store was not Audrey's books but became Audrey's books after he sold it in I think it was 1972. Steve would know more about this then I would. Before Mr. Hurtig sold his publishing concern the bookstores were known as Julian's Books before it became Audrey's. I can't find a link to support this, its just what I know from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

I didn't see Love Story until 2002 when I was in my '30s, in Korea. At one time it was VERY popular over here. There were stories about young couples smashing their heads on hidden rocks by imitating the "falling back in the snow" scene.

I thought Love Story was okay, not as schmazltzy as I'd been expecting. Given the era it was made, I'd assume it was meant as some sort of "answer" to the shifting social mores of the 1960s.

Also enjoyed Teachers, another Hiller film that sent up the titular occupation. The one teacher sleeping through his entire class was not that far off the markm actually. Nor was the gym coach who knocked up one of his students("Her parents don't understand!").

On local note, it occurs to me that Hiller was one of the very few big-name entertainers with an unqualified claim to being from Edmonton. Bob Goulet was from Massachusetts, and moved here for a few years as a young man. And I think Leslie Nielesen was originally from the Yukon? Tommy Chong is listed as being born here, but his various bios describe him as being raised in either Calgary or northern Alberta.

Let's see how the forum censor handles this one!

Dick Assman, 82
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2891983/di...n-passes-away/

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

David's call to Dick A$$man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y39l6V3b_LY
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

For followers of Late Night with David Letterman,you will remember Dick Assman from a Petro Canada station in Regina.
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/lea...&pid=181122969

See here....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-h16TwRDo
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    On local note, it occurs to me that Hiller was one of the very few big-name entertainers with an unqualified claim to being from Edmonton. Bob Goulet was from Massachusetts, and moved here for a few years as a young man. And I think Leslie Nielesen was originally from the Yukon? Tommy Chong is listed as being born here, but his various bios describe him as being raised in either Calgary or northern Alberta.
    Don't forget Michael J Fox, born in Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Don't forget Michael J Fox, born in Edmonton.
    Not raised here, though, as he was a military kid.

It's funny how Edmonton seems to glom onto any celeb who has the slightest of any tenuous association with the city and proceeds to claim that individual as a favourite son, of sorts.

I'm sure other cities are just as guilty, though. Vancouver/Bryan Adams comes to mind.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    It's funny how Edmonton seems to glom onto any celeb who has the slightest of any tenuous association with the city and proceeds to claim that individual as a favourite son, of sorts.

I'm sure other cities are just as guilty, though. Vancouver/Bryan Adams comes to mind.
    I think the worst example of that was Marshall McLuhan, who left Edmonton when he was about three years old, but whom some have recently been trying to baptize as an Edmontonian.

I guess it's cool that his family home has been made into an arts centre, but still, to call it "McLuhan House" is a pretty big stretch. Cambridge University likely had a bigger influence on his intellectual development, but I doubt that THEY feel any particular need to trumpet that connection.

'Toots" Thielemans jazz harmonica player passes.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/ar...tionfront&_r=0

Heard on Billy Joels Leave A Tender Moment Alone, as well as opening theme to Sesame Street
    Last edited by Barry N; 22-08-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    'Toot" Thielemans jazz harmonica player passes.
    It's "Toots" - he had many more than one.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

A case of brain being ahead of fingers. Thanks

Marvin Kaplan, a character actor known for the sitcom “Alice” and his voice-over work as Choo-Choo on the animated series “Top Cat,” has died. He was 89. http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/marv...89-1201844857/

Gene Wilder

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37215553

Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein - "Whose Brain I did put in?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q
    Last edited by KC; 29-08-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Dead at 82: Mr. Fuji, marital arts villain, was reviled for blinding opponents with a handful of salt

Harry Fujiwara, known to generations of wrestling fans as Mr. Fuji, a bruising martial arts master whose signature move, hurling a handful of salt into his opponents’ eyes, left them in tears, died on Sunday in Knoxville, Tennessee. He was 82.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...andful-of-salt

http://www.cnet.com/news/joe-sutter-...47-dies-at-95/ Joe Sutter, regarded by Boeing as the "father of the 747," died Tuesday at the age of 95.

Darrell Ward - History Channels Ice Road Truckers.
    Plane crash.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ice-roa...eath-1.3739777
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Darrell Ward - History Channels Ice Road Truckers.
    Plane crash.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ice-roa...eath-1.3739777
    Too bad. A a sad irony too.

Also interesting:

"The pilot, 56-year-old Mark Melotz, bought the Cessna 182 on Friday, Burt said."

I once worked with a guy that was later killed when the plane he was in the process of buying crashed. You may not know what you're buying and/or what you're flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    His Wikipedia page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Kwong

RIP The China Clipper. He was a classy Albertan.

Charmain Carr, 73 - best known as the eldest von Trapp daughter in Sound of Music
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2947781/ch.../?sf36270284=1
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 18-09-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Charmain Carr, 73 - best known as the eldest von Trapp daughter in Sound of Music
    Was she the one who couldn't get her first taste of champagne from Mr. Von Trapp?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Was she the one who couldn't get her first taste of champagne from Mr. Von Trapp?
    The one kissing the hot telegraph carrier bf in the gazebo during the rainstorm.

Buckwheat Zydeco, bandleader who helped introduce Louisiana zydeco to the world, dies at 68

One of musics greats. Saw him a few times and every show was amazing.

Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez, 24, dies in boating accident
    http://www.tsn.ca/marlins-ace-fernan...ident-1.573345

Calgary Stampeder Mylan Hicks, 23, dead after nightclub shooting
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ting-1.3778093

A shooting outside of a southwest Calgary nightclub early Sunday has left Calgary Stampeder Mylan Hicks dead, the team has confirmed.

"Obviously this is an extremely difficult and upsetting time for the players and staff," the team's president and general manager John Hufnagel said in a statement.

"It's a terrible tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Mylan's family."

Breaking news during CTV 2 news. Dougald Miller, victim of a beating by now dangerous offender Leo Teskey.

Arnold Palmer, 'The King' of golf, dead at 87
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/golf/arnold...d-87-1.3778504

Arnold Palmer brought a country-club sport to the masses with a hard-charging style, charisma and a commoner's touch, At ease with both presidents and the golfing public, and on a first-name basis with both, "The King," died Sunday in Pittsburgh. He was 87.

Alastair Johnston, CEO of Arnold Palmer Enterprises, confirmed that Palmer died Sunday afternoon of complications from heart problems. Johnson said Palmer was admitted to the hospital Thursday for some cardiovascular work and weakened over the last few days.

"Today marks the passing of an era," said Johnston, Palmer's longtime agent at IMG. "Arnold Palmer's influence, profile and achievements spread far beyond the game of golf. He was an iconic American who treated people with respect and warmth, and built a unique legacy through his ability to engage with fans."

Palmer ranked among the most important figures in golf history, and it went well beyond his seven major championships and 62 PGA Tour wins. His good looks, devilish grin and go-for-broke manner made the elite sport appealing to one and all. And it helped that he arrived about the same time as television moved into most households, a perfect fit that sent golf to unprecedented popularity.

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/780955699014754305
    Shimon Peres, former Israeli president and Nobel Peace Prize laureate, has died at 93

^, ^^

Why is it when the major iconic figures croak, I am always working?

Lost during the hype of the home opener yesterday...Former Edmonton Oiler:

Finnish forward Matti Hagman, who acted as an on-ice mentor for Jari Kurri in his early Edmonton Oilers’ days, and was the first centre for kids Mark Messier and Glenn Anderson, passed away at 61 in his homeland on Tuesday after a long illness.

Hagman, the first-ever Finn to play in the NHL after he was drafted by Boston in 1975, then moved to the Quebec Nordiques and to the Oilers for two seasons in the club’s second and the third years in the NHL. He had 112 points in 147 games and in the Oilers stirring 1981 playoff had four goals in nine games against the Montreal Canadiens and New York Islanders. He was singing along with everybody else, “Here we go Oilers, here we go,” on the team bench as they pushed the Cup champion Islanders to six games that storied spring.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...man-dead-at-61

Jim Prentice, former Premier, dead in a small plane crash:

Former Alberta premier Jim Prentice was among the four people killed in a small-plane crash in British Columbia on Thursday night, CBC News has confirmed.
    Prentice, 60, was aboard a twin-engine Cessna Citation that disappeared from radar shortly after takeoff from Kelowna, en route to the Springbank Airport, just outside Calgary.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lled-1.3804941
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Jim Prentice, former Premier, dead in a small plane crash:

Former Alberta premier Jim Prentice was among the four people killed in a small-plane crash in British Columbia on Thursday night, CBC News has confirmed.
    Prentice, 60, was aboard a twin-engine Cessna Citation that disappeared from radar shortly after takeoff from Kelowna, en route to the Springbank Airport, just outside Calgary.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lled-1.3804941
    Too bad. Loads of praise for him from all sides on the CBC interviews on the radio right now.

A lesson here for all. Prentice even spoke of it himself, of being a father and grandfather :Work all your life, work long hours, not be with the family, pushing having a life out to retirement, and then not making it.
    Last edited by KC; 16-10-2016 at 08:17 AM.

Deleted post

Steve Dillon, 'Preacher' Co-Creator, Dies At 54
    The death of the comic book artist, whose work also included 'Hellblazer' and 'The Punisher,' was announced on social media Saturday morning.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...creator-940668

Vancouverite by birth, Dave Cash. Instrumental in changing the face of radio in the 60's in the UK.
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2016/10/lege...sh-dies-at-74/
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Jim Prentice, former Premier, dead in a small plane crash
    This was super creepy for me; I was on a flight from Calgary to San Diego with him 2 weeks before he died in this crash. I have a photo of him, my son and some friends while on the shuttle bus headed to the car rental area. It may have been one of the last photos taken of him.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Nisi Dominus Frustra

Hugo nominated Sheri S. Tepper, 87, a ​ wonderful and challenging writer.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2016/10/2...sherri-tepper/

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I'll miss Tepper. A very fine writer in both SF and mystery genres.

Carlos Alberto, Brazilian football legend, 72.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37767301
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Dave Broadfoot, Royal Canadian Air Farce comedian, dead at 90

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...arce-1.3832170

Former NHLer Svatos passes away at 34

Former NHL player Marek Svatos has passed away at the age of 34.

The sudden passing of the Slovakia native was announced in a tweet from the International Ice Hockey Federation on Sunday morning.

Svatos scored 100 goals and 72 assists for 172 points in 344 NHL regular-season contests with the Colorado Avalanche, Nashville Predators and Ottawa Senators. He spent six of his seven NHL seasons with the Avalanche, scoring a career-high 32 goals and 60 points during the 2005-2006 campaign.

http://www.tsn.ca/former-nhler-svato...at-34-1.601435

Janet Reno, 1st female U.S. attorney general, 78

Leonard Cohen, 82.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Leonard Cohen, 82.
    ^ 2016 is a brutal year. How many more days left?

Leonard Cohen, 82.
    The NFB had a 1950s or 60s film on Cohen. Absolutely fascinating as I recall it, but haven't seen it in many years.

This may be it:

https://www.nfb.ca/film/ladies_and_g...leonard_cohen/

http://blog.nfb.ca/blog/2012/09/21/4...d-cohen-films/
    Last edited by KC; 10-11-2016 at 08:09 PM.

I was fortunate to see him twice in concert. The first time in 1988 at the Jube was the most spell binging concert I have ever seen. To this day I can still feel the emotion. The world has lost an incredible individual.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Here is a good source of Cohen's body of work.
    Pretty impressive.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...cohen-obituary

Cohen led a passionate life and it showed in his music. Much, much loved and respected by his musical peers.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Oh wow. One of the Canadian Greats. This is going to hit us hard.

RIP

2016 continues. Now it's http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37957088

Oops, should've provided the name. Robert Vaughan (The Man from U.N.C.L.E. actor), 83.
    Last edited by howie; 12-11-2016 at 04:44 PM.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Canadian Golf Hall of Famer Dawn Coe-Jones has passed away after a battle with cancer at 56.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3063378/da.../?sf42195366=1

Boy, 2016 and musicians. Leon Russell, 74.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/ar...t-74.html?_r=0
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

U.S. journalist and PBS anchor Gwen Ifill dies at 61

U.S. journalist Gwen Ifill, who co-anchored "The PBS NewsHour," wrote a best-seller about President Barack Obama and moderated two vice presidential election debates, died on Monday, the public broadcaster said. She was 61.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pe...source=twitter

Edmonton chef Gail Hall dies at the age of 65 http://ow.ly/bXQ0306eBCR

Leonard Cohen, 82.
    Apparently Mr. Cohen died from a fall.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...MCNEWEML6619I2

Sharon Jones, Powerful Voice of Soul With the Dap-Kings, Dies at 60

Sharon Jones, the soul singer and powerful voice of the band the Dap-Kings, died on Friday of pancreatic cancer that had been in remission but returned last year. She was 60.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/19/ar...imes&smtyp=cur

Florence Henderson, ‘Brady Bunch’ Mom and TV Icon, Dies at 82

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/flor...82-1201926558/

Ron Glass, 71

Television actor Ron Glass, who was best known for his roles as Shepherd Book on Firefly and as Detective Ron Harris on Barney Miller has passed away yesterday
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/26/1...-died-obituary

Joe McKnight (Riders and Esks), 28
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...iana-1.3877540

Fawlty Towers actor Andrew Sachs (Manuel the waiter).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...aring-him.html

http://www.metronews.ca/business/201...-mac-dies.html

Michael James "Jim" Delligatti, the McDonald's franchisee who created the Big Mac nearly 50 years ago and saw it become perhaps the best-known fast-food sandwich in the world, died Monday at home in Pittsburgh. Delligatti, who according to his son ate at least one 540-calorie Big Mac a week for decades, was 98.
    http://www.metronews.ca/life/food/20...es-taiwan.html

Peng Chang-kuei, inventor of General Tso’s chicken and the founder of Taiwanese restaurant chain Peng’s Garden Hunan Restaurant died on Nov. 30 in Taipei. He was 98.

Greg Lake, 69
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38251936

So 2/3 of Emerson, Lake and Palmer are gone.

Might be time to watch The Right Stuff again.

Time to spin "Fanfare For The Common Man" on the turntable tonight.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I imagine this will get a lot of airplay right now:

BREAKING: CBC News has learned from a source close to the family that Alan Thicke has died. He was 69.

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/808858806193180672

Holee cow

... suffered a heart attack while playing hockey... quite the Canadian way to go...

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast