Thread: What if the city of Edmonton did not exist

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default What if the city of Edmonton did not exist

Theoretically what if the city of Edmonton did not exist, and the land that made up the city wasn't used by anyone. I ask this question because I just wonder what this region would be like if Edmonton wasn't around.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Re: What if the city of Edmonton did not exist

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    Theoretically what if the city of Edmonton did not exist, and the land that made up the city wasn't used by anyone. I ask this question because I just wonder what this region would be like if Edmonton wasn't around.
    I shudder at the though...

Maybe the land taken up by Edmonton would probably be either farmland, or probably a big giant coal mine pit... *shrugs*

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Well since Sherwood Park does not rely on Edmonton at all, SP would still have 60 000 people surrounded by farms on all sides.

oh wait.

I dont get it - if Edmonton wasn't here - there would be something else here with a different name?

Maybe in 1912? Strathcona takes over Edmonton instead of the other way around?

There was a reason this land was settled here, as a fur trading post, and that it evolved in to the mega region it has now... being on a major river connected to the hudson bay with a nice landing spot for canoes and what not that travelled the river trading up and down. we slowly became the hub that we are today.

If the North Saskatchewan river and valley wasn't here, maybe then there wouldn't be no Edmonton.

Sherwood Park certainly wouldn't exist. St Albert might still be around, and same with Beaumont?

I just dont see how theoritically or not matters, or ever would be. Edmonton is here because of some of the reasons stated above, and many other reasons.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Perhaps a more realistic "alternate reality" scenario would be what if Calgary was chosen as Alberta's capital in 1905? Would Calgary be the size of Vancouver and Edmonton look more like Grande Prairie?

Addicted to C2E

All this really needs is a good edited aerial photo, or rather a set of them. One with each of the municipalities of the capital region edited out. Which one of them looks the oddest?

Oh, and while Beaumont would be there, it would just be a church on a hill. It's only really started growing in the last quarter century, and it's 95% houses.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

If Edmonton didn't exist and the land wasn't used by anyone?
    That's an easy question - it would look white in the winter and green for the majority of the remaining seasons.

It'd be a vast area of farmland, much like Saskatchewan, only more scenic.

Off topic, but I wonder what Edmonton would be like if Leduc No.1 was never drilled, the Canadian Northern and Grand Trunk never built rails, the Legislature and U. of A. were in Calgary, and much of the oil and gas in the province was located near Calgary and southern Alberta. I'd think basically a vast area of farmland.

C2E Posting Power

Strathcona would have been the capital of Alberta and the legislature would have been put in Cloverdale instead of Rossdale. The Yellowhead would have avoided Stony Plain and Spruce Grove altogether. Breuderfeld would have become an amalgamated town and Beverley would have been abandoned instead. The Strathcona International Airport would have been where the Muni is, but larger. Strathcona's height limit would be determined by the shadow on the river valley, much like Calgary. The University of Alberta would have been in Calgary instead. A smaller Strathcona University would have been built. St. Albert would then become the lecherous city, claiming its rise to prominence of 80 000 people was all done without the help of Strathcona.

Groat Road would be the size of Whitemud or Sherwood Park Freeway.

All fun!
    Xelebes

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48
    Perhaps a more realistic "alternate reality" scenario would be what if Calgary was chosen as Alberta's capital in 1905? Would Calgary be the size of Vancouver and Edmonton look more like Grande Prairie?
    No, then Calgary would be the government town and the oil companies would've all moved to Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by IKAN104
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48
    No, then Calgary would be the government town and the oil companies would've all moved to Edmonton.
    And we would've had the railway first and Calgary would've become a labor town.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Interesting...

But in reality, we were challenged for the capital by....Antabasca. That river was as major as the North Saskatchewan, so if Handay "failed", Athabasca could likely have been the capital city.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Making Calgary the capital city wouldn't necessarily have led to a bigger Calgary and an Edmonton being a northern version of Fort MacLeod.

Look at the big two cities in Saskatchewan. Despite Regina being designated the capital city, being closer to the US border, on the Trans-Canada the CPR routes and having the CFL team, Saskatoon is bigger and is regarded as the more major business city.

Anyway, I did an alternate reality "what if" thread a long while ago:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ic.php?t=2641&
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

A lot of what ifs:

(1) What if the CPR chose Saskatoon and Edmonton over Regina and Calgary?

Perhaps Edmonton would have been settled first, with development primarily taking place north of the river. The Yellowhead may have been the original Trans Canada highway. Of course, the Banff Cave and Basin may not have been discovered.

(2) What if Edmonton chose to build the Husky Tower, instead of having it built in Calgary?

We would have had a panoramic view of the city, and then some.

(3) What if Edmonton voted in favour of the METS in the sixties, allowing nonstop transportation into Edmonton?

It would have probably ruined our river valley, and many of the freeways would be jampacked. Of course, we would be fixing much of this infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    Interesting...

But in reality, we were challenged for the capital by....Antabasca. That river was as major as the North Saskatchewan, so if Handay "failed", Athabasca could likely have been the capital city.
    It was a battle between a bunch of places in the province, some serious, some not. But it looks like the Federal Liberals actually did something for the city, in return for them voting Frank Oliver to Parliament, while Calgary felt they still owed the Conservatives for giving them the railway and voted in a Tory.

http://www.abheritage.ca/abpolitics/..._capital1.html