Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: QE2 highway badly needs an upgrade

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Gaetz/QEII - I haven't been on the projects webpage in a while but it has been updated to show what to expect in 2017. It also shows a new overall finalized picture of the project. NOTE: This picture does not include the northern part of the project. If you right click and save the image to your desktop, you can then view the image in its full resolution.

All of this is right here:
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/5969.htm
    Last edited by the.tru.albertan; 23-02-2017 at 10:44 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

As for Gaetz/QE2 they've completed most of the pile driving for all bridges (Gaetz and Taylor Drive), the old Gaetz SB to QE2 SB bridge is closed but not demolished yet.

They have funded 3 laning the portion between Airdrie and Carstairs...
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ram.pdf#page=3

Man, that's a long list of projects. Would be nice if they'd included a map.

C2E Long Term Contributor

There is a map of construction projects - go to AB Transportation's website.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

You can find the project page here;
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...cts/index.html
    Some of the projects do have more detailed information on each project page as well

C2E Long Term Contributor

Leduc Mayor pushing for 2nd interchange at EIA
    http://www.630ched.com/2017/03/27/164159/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

For reference, this is what he's talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Also exciting is that they're addressing the death trap clover at highway 53 (Rimbey/Ponoka) though I'm not sure what the upgrades will entail. I really like the province's commitment to improving QE2, all things considered.

On the other hand, the lack of anything in the foreseeable future for Henday SW is nothing short of horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Acey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Also exciting is that they're addressing the death trap clover at highway 53 (Rimbey/Ponoka) though I'm not sure what the upgrades will entail. I really like the province's commitment to improving QE2, all things considered.
    A semi with a high load hit the west side of that overpass in January too. Its config has been messed up ever since.
    Last edited by the.tru.albertan; 06-04-2017 at 03:13 AM.
    When did punk rock become so safe? When did the scene become a joke?
    The kids who used to live for beer and speed, now want their fries and coke.

Default Highway 53 Upgrade

They don't much care for my emails laying into them about Deerfoot and Henday, but they did respond to my inquiry about the highway 53 clover. The changes will be pretty much what I expected:

We will be reconfiguring the interchange to a partial cloverleaf, similar to what was done at the Highway 2 and 27 interchange several years ago. The plan calls for removing access to the northwest and southeast loops and constructing alternative access for traffic to access Highway 53. This is an interim solution, intended to improve the access to and from Highway 2, our ultimate plans at some point in the future are to convert this interchange to a diamond configuration. Removing these two loops will remove the conflict that currently exists between traffic entering and exiting Highway 2 in short space and with a high speed differential.
    Estimating, but this project can be done for maybe $3-5 million for something that amounts to a huge increase in safety.

They don't much care for my emails laying into them about Deerfoot and Henday, but they did respond to my inquiry about the highway 53 clover. The changes will be pretty much what I expected:

We will be reconfiguring the interchange to a partial cloverleaf, similar to what was done at the Highway 2 and 27 interchange several years ago. The plan calls for removing access to the northwest and southeast loops and constructing alternative access for traffic to access Highway 53. This is an interim solution, intended to improve the access to and from Highway 2, our ultimate plans at some point in the future are to convert this interchange to a diamond configuration. Removing these two loops will remove the conflict that currently exists between traffic entering and exiting Highway 2 in short space and with a high speed differential.
    Estimating, but this project can be done for maybe $3-5 million for something that amounts to a huge increase in safety.
    Yah that's the way to go for the interim. Repairing the bridge there also started the other day from the high load impact back in January.

^ Interim? Is the traffic on highway 53 going to reach levels that would justify something more elaborate in the foreseeable future?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    ^ Interim? Is the traffic on highway 53 going to reach levels that would justify something more elaborate in the foreseeable future?
    No. Long-term, they intend to remove the remaining 2 loop ramps creating a diamond, which would have less capacity than the temporary partial cloverleaf. They're probably unhappy with the radius of the loops, and the fact that they don't like Parclo B interchanges (where freeway traffic exits using the loops as opposed to enter) unless obstacles demand it.

I thought that AB Transportation wants to get rid of all those tight radius cloverleaf interchanges. They are not a fan of the cornering involved I guess...? The standard diamond interchange seem to work fairly well at most spots along the QEII. But the interchange at 67th Street/QEII in Red Deer would need something with more capacity to handle the traffic coming from and going to Sylvan Lake. If AB Transportation really does dislike the full and partial cloverleaf, this interchange will need attention. I'd be curious to see what they would plan to put there? Perhaps a diverging diamond interchange? That'd be neat.

No. Long-term, they intend to remove the remaining 2 loop ramps creating a diamond, which would have less capacity than the temporary partial cloverleaf. They're probably unhappy with the radius of the loops, and the fact that they don't like Parclo B interchanges (where freeway traffic exits using the loops as opposed to enter) unless obstacles demand it.
    So then why not remove the NE and SW loops instead of the NW and SE? I also don't see how short-radius ramps are a problem once the interchange is reconfigured to remove the weave zones and allow for longer acceleration lanes. The distance required to accelerate from 40 to 110 km/h isn't much more than that required to accelerate from 70 to 110 km/h.

I wonder if they'd be able to install DCMI interchanges at some of these highway junctions on the QEII. I like the concept. Freeflow traffic, no loop ramps, eliminates weaving. They may not suitable with the terrain in some places though, and would probably work best where the freeway is running at a somewhat lower elevation. Deerfoot/16 Ave N might be a good place for one of these, but I think the CP line running parallel to the freeway may make it difficult to place the side bridge on the west side.

http://www.dcmiinterchange.com

^ There is plenty of height to work with at the highway 1 / 2 interchange with deerfoot at the bottom of the valley. Another alternative would be to build a bridge over the entire existing interchange for through traffic on 16 Av, which might allow the existing portion to operate like a traffic circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
    I wonder if they'd be able to install DCMI interchanges at some of these highway junctions on the QEII. I like the concept. Freeflow traffic, no loop ramps, eliminates weaving. They may not suitable with the terrain in some places though, and would probably work best where the freeway is running at a somewhat lower elevation. Deerfoot/16 Ave N might be a good place for one of these, but I think the CP line running parallel to the freeway may make it difficult to place the side bridge on the west side.

That's basically a grade-separated version of the DDI interchange going up at Macleod/162 Ave in Calgary right now. It's far more suited to urban environments and the extra bridges would make it too cost prohibitive for almost all locations on QEII where a diamond would achieve an acceptable level of service at much less cost.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567