Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: QE2 highway badly needs an upgrade

C2E SME
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That’s why the piers on the 41 av bridge are at such an angle. It’s the angle the roadway will eventually be at.

That PDF from 2010 is interesting since they are currently upgrading the infrastructure for water systems in the area as well as preparing the land for development directly where the future interchange will be built so I'm not usre this is still in the plans or not, I can't remember where I saw it but there was a study that Alberta Transportation was doing on various plans to reconfigure the QE2 from south of Ellerslie road to south of Leduc. i think they are still deciding the ultimate configuration
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

http://www.remingtoncorp.com/leasing...business-park/. The infrastructure going in still allows for this plan.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 17-12-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    That’s why the piers on the 41 av bridge are at such an angle. It’s the angle the roadway will eventually be at.
    The outer ring road has since been kiboshed so the eventual interchange between 41 Ave SW and Highway 19 probably won't take as much space as shown. Of course that decision was made well after the design was finalised but it's there if the idea is ever revived.

The outer ring road is still alive at AB trans, just no one is talking about it. Trust me, it will resurface in 10-15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    The outer ring road is still alive at AB trans, just no one is talking about it. Trust me, it will resurface in 10-15 years.
    “resurface” Love the highway humour!

Correction: ...it will resurface during the next oil price boom and after land, labour and material costs have doubled or tripled.

Of course interest rates and inflationary costs will also be way up so we will be able to ensure maybe even a quadrupling of the opportunity cost through our traditional herd-like “buy high, sell low” approach to running Alberta.

Well, the outer ring road, as it was described, it mostly already there. Hwy 21, Hwy 37, <missing connector between these two> Hwy 60, Hwy 19, and the province won't look at building it properly for at least another 20-30.
    Just like the Henday, it was planned out decades before it was needed, and the land slowly bought up.... Much like the HSR ROW that may or may not even come to be

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

With coe taking over land to the airport Jan 1 and development taking place west of hwy 2 an access will be needed somewhere between hwy 19 and 41 ave sw. If it is not the proposed outer ring road then it will likely be township rd 510, which is half way. (a correction line road)

Hwy 19 is the outer ring road.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Hwy 19 is the outer ring road.
    No

Yes.

19 west to 60/44. North to 37. East to 21. South to 625 which becomes 19.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

http://emrb.ca/Website/media/PDF/Abo...edjune9-11.pdf. Page 10. It is just north of Beaumont and just north of say Trinidad drilling

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    “resurface” Love the highway humour!

Correction: ...it will resurface during the next oil price boom and after land, labour and material costs have doubled or tripled.

Of course interest rates and inflationary costs will also be way up so we will be able to ensure maybe even a quadrupling of the opportunity cost through our traditional herd-like “buy high, sell low” approach to running Alberta.
    It will be built sometime in the future just like how I learned of AH's plan when I was 19 in 1989. Come near 2019, AH is completed.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Hard Core Contributor

http://emrb.ca/Website/media/PDF/Abo...edjune9-11.pdf. Page 10. It is just north of Beaumont and just north of say Trinidad drilling
    That is just one concept, there are 4 alternatives.

I think with the realignment of the highways at Devon, 19 and 60 would make a more logical ring road.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/projects/assets/Edmonton_Area/Hwy60_Realignment_Town_of_Devon/Hwy19_60_Overview.pdf

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It would be difficult to achieve freeway status on 625 through NIsku. If you note on google maps just north of Trinidad drilling a strip of land has been left undeveloped. The preferred route would pass through there.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It would be difficult to achieve freeway status on 625 through NIsku. If you note on google maps just north of Trinidad drilling a strip of land has been left undeveloped. The preferred route would pass through there.
    Considering that there would be a major interchange at that location, that tiny strip is inconsequential.

C2E SME

I think one smart short-term strategy would be twinning Highway 625 east to Beaumont, and possibly having a bypass road to 814/50 Street north.
    Last edited by The_Cat; 24-12-2018 at 01:06 PM.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Considering that there would be a major interchange at that location, that tiny strip is inconsequential.
    The interchange is planned west of the existing qe2 with the highway then moving slightly west

Well those are coming up on 10 year old design ideas, and where the future outer ring road interchange is the South West Water Commission has just finished building a water reservoir smack dab in the middle of that interchange so obviously the plans are different now.

this is all just conjecture....
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Your map reading skills are failing you. Thats about two kilometres south of the planned interchange.

C2E Long Term Contributor

A new rest stop is coming to QEII Southbound at Wolf Creek, just north of Lacombe.
    There's also 2 more rest stops coming to Hwy 16 just west of Hwy 43.
    The province is also supporting development of a new private-sector rest stop near Bowden.
    link
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I drove on the QE2 this past weekend.

Hwy 19 interchange
    SB overhead signs have sat in the ditch for a few months now. No overhead signs for NB - having only right-hand exit signs greeting new tourists and business travelers from the airport to Edmonton is bush league if you ask me.

Gaetz Ave interchange
    The overhead signs are now installed and the roads are completed. About the only thing left to do is landscaping. Gasoline Alley might as well be another town.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

They have a wee small sign, from my memory is mounted on a construction barricade (I could be wrong)

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Gaetz/QEII interchange - still lots of work to do and Penholders are ******. They've had enough of the delays and lane closures. Weather has not been co-operative. As of last week, completion is scheduled for end of this season. Supposed to have been completed in the spring. A few people have raised the question about it still being on budget and according the gov's facebook page, it is.
    I drive really slow, in the ultra fast lane
    While people behind me, are going insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Hwy 19 interchange SB overhead signs have sat in the ditch for a few months now. No overhead signs for NB - having only right-hand exit signs greeting new tourists and business travelers from the airport to Edmonton is bush league if you ask me.
    The South bound signs have been there since last fall. They made an attempt to install them, but obviously failed. Im kind of curious to know what could possibly be wrong that it would take more than 10 months to get them up.

I blame Jason Kenney and his budget delays for both issues (^ and ^^)

I'd rather C2E than work!

Of course the NDP who were in power until April 16th of this year has absolutely no blame in this.

There's only so much you can do in 4 years when there's 40 years of problems compounded to fix. Good thing we have the used car party (back) in power under a new name, with Cheeseburger Randy at the helm cutting services and lowering taxes for his corporate buddies that helped this "grassroots" party come to power....

In the case of Gaetz/QEII, seems to be weather that has been the biggest hold out for work. But, I have followed the project closely and a lot of people south of Red Deer are pretty angry. I heard someone say the waited almost an hour (doubt that) the other day due to delays. Other guy said Flatiron has failed and wasted too much of the good summer weather of 2018. I will agree on some points... I was very surprised that they didn't get the MSE wall tiles up and finished last fall. Also surprised they didn't show up on site until May/2019 when the project timeline was a spring finish. I knew right then and there that it was going to be at least another full season of construction.

I'm glad I don't live south of RD because driving thru this everyday would be brutal.
    I drive really slow, in the ultra fast lane
    While people behind me, are going insane.

C2E SME

One improvement I would like to see is a realignment and a much smarter interchange south of Leduc for QE2 to 2A.

^ That's in the plans in the next 5 years I believe.

2A is supposed to connect with Terwillegar Drive eventually, right?

Yes that's correct

Personally I wish that the roller-coaster section of the QE2 at Leduc and Hwys 2A and 39 would be left alone. If plans for this do come to fruition, it likely won't happen for another couple of decades. But who knows.

Roller coaster is unsafe and will be removed.

C2E SME

Yeah, that thing in the winter is outright dangerous. Semis have a hard time negotiating it at the posted limit without leaving their lane even in the best of conditions.

I recently drove the roller coaster on the QE2 NB at 120 km/hr. It was a blast!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678