Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost buildings

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post

Michael Parkatti ‏@mparkatti 1h1 hour ago
    Remember when we lost this dope Courthouse for a ****** mall with a Winners? Me neither. Thx, "Greatest Generation".

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    A description. Sounded very nice.

Court House(Built: 1911)
    Constructed in 1911, this building housed the Supreme and District Courts until 1972, when it was sold to Woodwards and demolished for the construction of Edmonton Centre. This Greek templelike building had a sandstone exterior and granite foundation. The interior showed a classical elegance with Greek columns, a marble staircase
    http://www.epl.ca/photo-collections?...tion=Buildings

Tore down the Court House and now they want to save the decrepit Iron Works Building???

The box that the Mac Hotel came in, was gratefully disposed of.

BTW, what is that small building right in the center facing north, with the columns? Was the National Bank building been expanded with a west annex with a matching facade or did they tear the original building down?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I wanna say it got torn down as its not the same height https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.54331...7i13312!8i6656

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Tore down the Court House and now they want to save the decrepit Iron Works Building???

The box that the Mac Hotel came in, was gratefully disposed of.

BTW, what is that small building right in the center facing north, with the columns? Was the National Bank building been expanded with a west annex with a matching facade or did they tear the original building down?
    Why are you comparing 1970 Edmonton decisions to today?
    Yea, the City is trying to save it because its the not same mentality or culture that gutted this City of so many architectural landmarks.

Do your decisions get compared to what your parents did on the same subject forty+ years before?

I'd still love to see a website where you could time travel around our streets and avenues, turn and face any direction and slide back and forth through the photos from past decades. Google street view like functionality as best as can be designed using old photos in the City Archives, etc.

A notable quote:

Also, entire article is worth reading...

Longing for the Old Penn Station? In the End, It Wasn’t So Great

Building Blocks
    By DAVID W. DUNLAP DEC. 30, 2015

"The tragedy is that our own times not only could not produce such a building,” Ada Louise Huxtable wrote in The New York Times, in 1963, “but cannot even maintain it.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/ny...yt-region&_r=0

Last edited by KC; 30-12-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Remember when we lost this dope Courthouse for a ****** mall with a Winners? Me neither. Thx, "Greatest Generation".

Constructed in 1911, this building housed the Supreme and District Courts until 1972, when it was sold to Woodwards and demolished for the construction of Edmonton Centre. This Greek templelike building had a sandstone exterior and granite foundation. The interior showed a classical elegance with Greek columns, a marble staircase
    Can't blame a generation of people for a stupid city council, same as today. You think the average person wanted these nice buildings torn down, I don't think so. Same as all the screw ups of today can't be blamed on folks, it's a few at the city that are responsible.

C2E SME

Of all the buildings in that picture the one I really can't figure out how they were able to convince to tear down was the court house. For me I totally love that style of architecture and it make my heart ache to think we had that building here once and was replaced by a giant faceless box on that same piece of land.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

FROM THE ARCHIVES Dec. 13, 1982: The Tegler Building goes out with a bang

Dust cloud chokes out downtown Edmonton as former home to Zellers falls

On the final day of its existence, the Tegler Building was reduced to a pile of rubble on the corner of 101st Street and 102nd Avenue.

Demolishing the historic building was a spectacle not often seen in the downtown. A crowd of onlookers had gathered for a last glimpse.

Once the tallest building in Edmonton, the seven-storey Tegler Building was built by Robert Tegler in 1912. It was two storeys taller than any other building in the city.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...bang-1.3897149

Watch the news clip from 1982:
    http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/833294915750/

8 seconds to come down, 34 years of failure and despisement and counting.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I laughed then cried at the last bit of the video when the reporter said a new parking lot will be built on that site.

^ for better or worse, I think I might rather have a parking lot than the stupid BMO building. Its perpetual vacancy and nearly always locked doors are damning testament to its obvious utter uselessness.

Oh, and CBC, learn how to count.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Can't blame a generation of people for a stupid city council, same as today. You think the average person wanted these nice buildings torn down, I don't think so. Same as all the screw ups of today can't be blamed on folks, it's a few at the city that are responsible.

Regarding the Tegler:

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    ^ for better or worse, I think I might rather have a parking lot than the stupid BMO building. Its perpetual vacancy and nearly always locked doors are damning testament to its obvious utter uselessness.

Oh, and CBC, learn how to count.

If anyone has access to the Ed Journal archives, there are articles here:

Council to save tegler building. (1981, July Edmonton Journal, p. B2

Ovenden, N. (1982, February 10). Flip-flop, the Tegler may drop. Edmonton Journal, pp. A1-A2

I may have quoted this paper elsewhere on c2e. It's a very interesting read.

A Reluctant Regime: Economic Development and Desperation in the City of Edmonton
    Shawn Riedenberger
    A thesis submitted to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research in partial fulfillrnent of the requirements for the degree of Master of Arts.
    Department of Political Science
    Edmonton, Alberta Spring 2001

The Downtown Area Redevelopment Plan (DARP) not only restricted city planners' intervention into downtown development, it would also signal a change in the composition of city council. Soon after the DARP bylaw was passed,city council began to reassert itself in a new manner. In short, a corporate faction emerged within council with an activist agenda. The two events that triggered this change in ideology within council were the Bank of Montreal Development project and a fierce debate over the demolition of Edmonton's oldest office structure, the Tegler. The Bank of Montreal purchased a block of land that contained the Tegler Building in 1978. They immediately filed an application with city council for a dernolition permit, and were granted this request by an overwhelming vote of 9-2 by council in July of 198160Council had originally intended to designate the Tegler Building as an historical site. However,by February 1982, al1 but three councilors, including two of the four members of URGE, had abandoned their support and voted to withdraw the building's designation, clearing the way for Tegler's demolition.

Edmonton's council changed its mind for two reasons, both of which would besymbolicforfuturedevelopmentprojects. ThefirstwastheBankof Montreal's use of pressure tactics that would foreshadow measures used by the Triple Five corporation as well as individual entrepreneurs such as Peter Pocklington. The Bank's strategies included attempts to wam Edmonton's citizenry about the costs of maintaining the Tegler Building, threats of possible movement in the bank's expansion plans in future years, and suggestions that council was becoming inward-looking and not receptive to public opinion6' Secondly, along with the pressure placed on them by the bank, the downtum in the provincial and federal economies as well as the National Energy Program meant that council and its senior bureaucratswere focused on chance economic development strategies that could funnel more money into the city's coffers.
    City Council was vulnerable in its negotiations with the Bank of Montreal over the Tegler property. Negotiations began at a time when the Alsands Project al1 but collapsed, and Edmonton's housing sales began to slump. Compounding the problem was the closing of eight major fumiture stores by 1983.64 Despite a variety of objections frorn city plannem. who cited regulations in the DARP bylaw as well as the General Municipal Plan, city council finally gave in to the bank's demands in June 1 ~ 8 3 T.h~us, itwas economic pressure that forced Edmonton's city councif, including some URGE memben, to accepta corporate agenda for the redevelopment of the
    Tegler property.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/o...04/MQ60374.pdf
    Last edited by KC; 16-12-2016 at 11:47 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Queens Hotel, 450 East Jasper Ave:

I recently learned, through his obituary which ran in a francophone newspaper back in the '30s, that my great-great-grandfather owned some kind of factory in the late 1800s on the same site that eventually turned into this hotel. The Google Streetview provided by Jaron Williams at the link above suggests that the Queens was located roughly where the Jasper Ave entrance to the Shaw Conference Centre sits today.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Cool! Keep us posted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123