Thread: The new Downtown YMCA

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default The new Downtown YMCA

I signed up this weekend, figured it was time to get into shape, and i have to say im quite impressed with the variety in the facility. While it might not have the best weight area, it makes up for it by having so many things to do and use.

I will be playing badminton on sundays, floor hockey M-W-F mornings, and the usual swim, run, and work out throughout.

Although i do wish they had courts and a climbing wall, perhaps the next 2 floor addition they have planned will encompass those.

all and all a clean and well thoughtout facility!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I might join you on the floor hockey front...

Just too bad they don't have squash...
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor

indeed...IMO 2-4 courts (squash/rac) and a climbing wall would set this place apart.
    www.decl.org

Partially Addicted to C2E

Hi,

I thought there was going to be a climbing wall? We're both former instructors and thought it would be a great place to pick up shifts.

What time is floor hockey? Grade 5 here I come.

s.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.steevo
    Hi,

I thought there was going to be a climbing wall? We're both former instructors and thought it would be a great place to pick up shifts.

What time is floor hockey? Grade 5 here I come.

s.
    haha

M-W-F 7am-8 or 9am...ill be there wed.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Do you get crappy yellow plastic sticks with red blades?

I'd always get in trouble for stepping on the blade to put a wicked curve in it.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT
    Do you get crappy yellow plastic sticks with red blades?

I'd always get in trouble for stepping on the blade to put a wicked curve in it.
    i would assume so and same here.
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

Default How

Much is a general membership?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

It's a $60 dollar signup fee for all new memberships (apparently they call it a building maintenance fee, which translates to a signup fee no matter what you call it since the cost of building the facilities has been financed through donations, at least that's my understanding of how the YMCA works) and then another 50 some dollars a month. This is for adults over the age of 25.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor

indeed...IMO 2-4 courts (squash/rac) and a climbing wall would set this place apart.
    The World Health Club (my club) is relocating to City Centre Mall, where Home Outfitters was. They had 5 squash courts, but won't have any in the new facility. Apparently, they couldn't get high enough ceilings, and squash courts don't generate a lot of profit. Since the Y is "non-profit" anyway, and since they built their own facility, it would have been, in hindsight, a good idea to put in some courts. They sure have a lot of barely used space.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Squash is so 80s Yuppie.

Home Outfitters is still open until the end of the month.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Partially Addicted to C2E

Membership prices for the Y can be found here:

http://www.edmonton.ymca.ca/membership/2.2_fees.htm

The building fee is a $60 fee (for general membership) and is charged on a per household basis (i.e. if someone in your house has already paid it and is currently a member, you dont have to pay it.) So long as your keep your membership active and it does not lapse for more than 3 months, you will never pay it again. However, after 3 months, you are considered a new member, and will pay it again.

Also, I am pretty sure i have said this before - but what you see right now is the first phase of the DW YMCA. The second phase include two more floors that include squash and raquette ball courts. I am not entirely sure what the trigger is for expansion to the second phase - but knowing how the YMCA works, it is likely based on membership numbers...

^funding and demand...i do know that someone mentioned they have had significantly higher membership #'s thus far than an expected.
    www.decl.org

I will be playing badminton on sundays, floor hockey M-W-F mornings, and the usual swim, run, and work out throughout.
    You play badminton Ian? I've been looking for court space to gear up for the annual EDBA tournament.

I've never actually been to the YMCA before... how does scheduling work for the different sports?

EDIT: Found the schedule here. It's too bad they have no badminton times other than Sunday.
    Last edited by ShermanT; 11-04-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Added link
    Time to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceres View Post
    You play badminton Ian? I've been looking for court space to gear up for the annual EDBA tournament.

I've never actually been to the YMCA before... how does scheduling work for the different sports?

EDIT: Found the schedule here. It's too bad they have no badminton times other than Sunday.

i do...and while they only have it on sundays, you can ask to set it up during general gym times.
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Wasn't sure where to post this... I recall hearing the downtown YMCA was built with capacity to add additional floors to the building. I have some friends who are members there and have just cancelled to go to commonwealth for a few reasons... First, so busy at all times of the day it is impossible to get in a quality workout. Second, the number of sketchy losers subsidized by paying members was getting more and more out of hand. Third, the facility and equipment are starting to seriously show their age, especially due to abuse by users but rarely follows up on for repairs etc. Obviously there are a few concerns there, but the one being the biggest issue is they have too many members and it's impossible to workout. I would love to see additional space added above if what I remember hearing was correct. Anyone?

2 floors were designed into it and I am hearing that yes, they are looking at adding a floor, perhaps double height?, to deal with some of the supply/demand issues.
    www.decl.org