Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: divided highway to the coast

C2E Long Term Contributor

Trans-Canada Highway in Langley to be expanded to 6 lanes
    Will expand 8 kilometre section from 216th Street to 264th Street
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...gley-1.4044381
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

That widening in Langley is desperately needed.

I'd rather C2E than work!

This was announced in April, not sure what impact the election will have on these 3 projects.

They finally will tender twinning 2.5 km east of the Donald truck scales, they only announced this project about 3 or more years ago.
    https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017TRAN0157-001031

Plus 1.5 km prep work (soil improvements for the road base) west of Salmon Arm and twinning 3.4 km west of Chase.
    Last edited by sundance; 18-06-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

twinning the yellowhead completely from manitoba to a vancouver terminus should be a national project, equal in scope to the building of the railroads. too bad the feds and provinces didn't get together and make this a gift to the nation on the 150th anniversary. so too TCH1.
    (edit) I drove the yh a couple of years ago from the start in manitoba to saskatoon; most of it is not only single lane, but old narrow single lane; slow and scary. i'll not drive it again until it's upgraded.
    Last edited by buildings; 18-06-2017 at 02:45 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Since when does the Yellowhead end in Vancouver? Isn't it Prince Rupert?
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Highway 5 in BC is also the Yellowhead so it ends at the Trans-Canada near Hope.
    http://www.transcanadayellowhead.com

The majority of traffic takes Highway 11 in Saskatoon from Saskatoon to Regina then on to Winnipeg, so there really isn't a sufficient need to twin from Saskatoon to Portage La Prairie, Highway 11 and 1 is already twinned and is only about 45 km longer then the Yellowhead.
    https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Saska...1!2d49.9723205

C2E SME

I wonder if Highway 5 could have more climbing/passing lanes where needed. Same with Highway 16, the BC side.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    This was announced in April, not sure what impact the election will have on these 3 projects.

They finally will tender twinning 2.5 km east of the Donald truck scales, they only announced this project about 3 or more years ago.
    https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017TRAN0157-001031

Plus 1.5 km prep work (soil improvements for the road base) west of Salmon Arm and twinning 3.4 km west of Chase.
    I can't really see the BC NDP killing these projects. Not when there's federal funding involved.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

NDP or Green already announced they are killing the Massey Tunnel replacement bridge. My guess is they might kill Kicking Horse Canyon phase 4 too.

Welp, guess we can kiss the Massey Tunnel Replacement Bridge bye bye then.
    I still doubt the BC NDP will kill the TCH projects because unlike the Massey project there's really not that much outcry against them, but who knows with these guys, so I guess we'll wait and see.

wait why are the left opposed to the replacement bridge?

it creates jobs; it will be a safer, more earthquake proof solution; and finally it will ease the crossing gridlocks experienced everyday almost every hour between 7am and 6pm.

Green-suspend work and review alternatives.
    NDP-consult with regional mayors and then consider which course to follor.

So in the end probably nothing will be done because the whole consultation process will probably last longer then their government.

NDP does propose to eliminate tolls on the Port Mann and Golden Ears bridges, however the City of Vancouver wants some sort of extra usage tax (they already have a special city gas tax)
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3494548/th...be-on-the-way/
    Last edited by sundance; 07-07-2017 at 12:05 PM.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    wait why are the left opposed to the replacement bridge?

it creates jobs; it will be a safer, more earthquake proof solution; and finally it will ease the crossing gridlocks experienced everyday almost every hour between 7am and 6pm.
    It also:
    - Promotes sprawl (Vancouver has a very limited amount of agricultural land left if you weren't aware), and therefore SOV use
    - It is massively overbuilt to the point were it wouldn't be operating at an effective LOS for at least a decade after it was built, meanings it's way more expensive than it needs to be
    - There wasn't sufficient study and research of other options
    - A lot of people expect that part of the reason for it is to open the river up for shipping, which comes with huge environmental risks
    - It goes against the regional planning the area has been doing for decades
    - And finally, the biggest one I think. It doesn't solve any congestion issues, in fact it might even make them worse. Unless the city of Vancouver tears 8-10 lanes over the Oak street bridge, and downs oak street, the traffic problems will still be there, just moved down into Richmond and Vancouver. Which is much worse, instead of backing up into what is mostly agricultural land at the moment, it will back up into Vancouver and Richmond, incapacitating flow not only onto the highway, but also any E-W travel in the area as traffic backs up onto the off and on ramps in richmond, and the corridors in Vancouver.

I actually had a look at the engineering/planning documents, and there was not a single traffic study done in the surrounding areas, only in the direct vicinity (sounds familiar to us Edmontonians eh?).

Also I don't see how this is a left/right issue, this is a planning issue.

I'd imagine a bridge is easier and cheaper to harden against earthquakes than an underwater tunnel. Typically tunnels cost 2-3x the cost of a bridge. Let's say the NDP/Green go with a tunnel, would they just build a new tube and use both the new and old tubes, or would they build one tunnel wide enough for all lanes or two new tunnels for SB and NB traffic and decommission the old tunnel.

Regardless a proper study with all bridge and tunnel options will take a year or 2 to complete, probably longer then the minority government will last.

Found this on page 66 of the BC NDP Platform
    We will build, maintain and upgrade highways across the province, including completing Highway 1 upgrades to the Alberta border, and will upgrade interchanges and crossings to make our roads safer.
    https://action.bcndp.ca/page/-/bcndp...17.pdf#page=66

Tolls to be eliminated on Port Mann and Golden Ears bridges

The B.C. government is getting rid of tolls on the Port Mann and Golden Ears bridges starting Sept. 1, Premier John Horgan has announced.
    Horgan made the announcement in Port Coquitlam on Friday morning, with Transportation Minister Claire Travena and Housing Minister Selina Robinson at his side.
    "These tolls are unfair to people who live in the Lower Mainland and to people who live in particular areas of British Columbia. If you live in Kelowna you don't pay tolls to cross a bridge," Horgan said. "You shouldn't have to pay tolls because of where you live."
    Elimination of the tolls was a key element of the NDP's election campaign this spring.
    Previously, when critics pointed out that the move would mean a loss of $200 million in revenue for the government, Horgan suggested the cost would be spread across the province.
    More to come.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...n-bc-1.4261972

I've crossed a few times without paying but have never gotten a ticket, AB plates I guess. Good move because I noticed these bridges are underused with people avoiding them and putting more stress on other bridges and routes. Campaign promises apply.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 25-08-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Likewise, I have driven across the Port Mann a couple of times since it opened and never received a toll ticket in the mail. I believe there's some kind of jurisdictional issue that prevents them from charging to out-of-province license plates.

^^Bad move because if what you want is well maintained, uncongested bridges the right thing to do is toll all of them.
    There can only be one.

Ha ha, very funny

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    ^^Bad move because if what you want is well maintained, uncongested bridges the right thing to do is toll all of them.
    Agreed. I'm not normally a big fan of road tolls, but Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond/New West/(Port)Coquitlam are a sort of pseudo-island that is only accessible by a handful of long, tall, expensive bridges. Putting an equal toll on all 7 of them to fund ongoing upgrades would make sense.

C2E SME

I wonder if having a national-park-style toll would work for the bridges. One for four days, another for 30 and another for all year.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234