Thread: Terwillegar Drive | Freeway Upgrades | Planning/Discussion

First One is Always Free

Default Terwillegar Drive | Freeway Upgrades | Planning/Discussion

Living in the Riverbend area and driving Terwillegar on a daily basis, does anyone here know the approximate timeline for making 40th/Bulyea, Rabbit Hill Road, and 23rd Avenue proper overpasses and turning it into a proper Freeway? (and further down at Haddow, Henday, and the new road into Windermere)
    I also believe I have seen diagrams of a more complex intersection with the Whitemud.
    It would seem with the rapid growth seen in the area such a project would be feesible, but I guess with other priorities such as Henday expansion, 23/Gateway, etc it may be pushed to the backburner for the time being.
    But for a major route through a major suburban component of the city, it sure a) looks stupid having the road split apart for the intersections, than come back down, etc and b) gets backed up like crazy in rush hour.
    Hopefully someone has somewhat of an idea.
    with my hands bound
    i will walk into your garden

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Re: Terwillegar Drive

Quote Originally Posted by TheBronze
    But for a major route through a major suburban component of the city, it sure a) looks stupid having the road split apart for the intersections, than come back down, etc and b) gets backed up like crazy in rush hour.
    Shhh! Do you want a Canadian Tire or an Ikea put in there? With the right tax breaks they can have their grand openings by July 31, 2008.

highlander

I hope it stays on the backburner until after the yellowhead is complete. why start another freeway when the ones we have are decades from completion?

There are many roads that get backed up 'like crazy'.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by highlander
    I hope it stays on the backburner until after the yellowhead is complete. why start another freeway when the ones we have are decades from completion?

There are many roads that get backed up 'like crazy'.
    i'd agree. The Yellowhead and Gateway are important to commerce....Terwillegar's only "benefit" is to allow people to build further out in Windermer and Riverbend.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT
    i'd agree. The Yellowhead and Gateway are important to commerce....Terwillegar's only "benefit" is to allow people to build further out in Windermer and Riverbend.
    Ahhhh - but I expect that there is a lot of money to be made in converting farm land to new neighborhoods - probably more than buying and then enhancing already developed land around the Yellowhead or Gateway. Like them or not, I expect there are reasons why infrastructure has kept pushing further and further out.

I'd rather C2E than work!

looks stupid having the road split apart for the intersections, than come back down

Looks refreshingly like good transportation planning to me. But, I agree with others here - finish Yellowhead and the Henday first.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Not to support more bedroom community growth, but I wonder if there's a chance of Terwillegar Drive getting extended all the way out to Devon? But give the city credit for at least planning ahead to allow for eventual interchange construction. There were recent plans for a couple of the interchanges a couple of years ago or so.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

the thing i wonder about terwilleger drive is why there are 2 left turn lanes onto rabbithill road and that other road. that messes up traffic so bad and its really useless. Just the one left hand turn lane is enough not the 1 left turn lane and 1 combo left turn straight lane.

Pa-Don me if I am mistakin' but was the question not about a more efficient movement of traffic between Whitmud thru to Henday by removal of the delays caused by these lights and intersections thru the use of underpasses??

These 2 overpasses need to be done 2 yrs ago. I use to live in the SW and recall planning sessions for these back in 2001/02 for it to be completed by 2007/08/09.

While there are other problems out there...the section from the whitemud to AHD needs to get done. It allows for alternative routes to occur and takes more pressure off of gateway.

if you have never driven at rush hour on terwillegar drive, try it.....you wont want to do it more than once.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

What are the plans for the interchange between terwillegar and AHD? Is it going to be a 23rd ave style interchange with lights or is it eventually going to be freeflow? From looking at google earth and driving it, it seems to be 23rd ave style. If the plan is to have Terwillegar freeflow from whitemud to AHD, and for it to eventually connect to highway 2A, shouldnt they just make it a freeflow interchange?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

There will eventually be another bridge on Terwillegar crossing AHD. You can see the piles of dirt east of the existing bridge where it will be. That will make the next phase similar to 111 Street and Whitemud. After that there will likely be more loop ramps with eventually it becoming free flow. That will be quite a few years away. 20+

C2E SME

I'd say even longer than that. I don't think the traffic exchange there would warrent any addition work for a long long long time.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by knowitall View Post
    After that there will likely be more loop ramps with eventually it becoming free flow.
    With this interchange design N/S traffic along Terwilleger Drive will not be free flow. Split diamond just like 170 Street/Whitemud Drive and 111 Street/Whitemud Drive. Not sure why they designed it this way.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I wonder how long before Terwillegar drive becomes a freeway between the Whitemud and AHD. It can get pretty busy.

mmmm ramps mmmmm !

C2E Super Addict

Terwillegar will be a freeway at some point. It will skirt the west side of the airport, and tie in to Hwy 2 south of Leduc.
    Mayor Mandel is a immature childish man

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
    Terwillegar will be a freeway at some point. It will skirt the west side of the airport, and tie in to Hwy 2 south of Leduc.
    Not sure about that. From everything that I've read it will be an expressway (with traffic lights) through Windermere from the split diamond at AHD to 41 Avenue SW.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...solidation.pdf

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...solidation.pdf

Maybe for the next 50 years yes... but after that, there's always potential to turn it into a freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Maybe for the next 50 years yes... but after that, there's always potential to turn it into a freeway.
    Let's hope the ROW is wide enough!

Quote Originally Posted by deedub35 View Post
    Let's hope the ROW is wide enough!
    Well Terwillegar Drive from the Whitemud south is quite wide, and was designed for a freeway, so not sure why they wouldn't continue with that ROW considering the growth the south side of the city has seen, and will likely continue to see in the future.

Well Terwillegar Drive from the Whitemud south is quite wide, and was designed for a freeway, so not sure why they wouldn't continue with that ROW considering the growth the south side of the city has seen, and will likely continue to see in the future.
    Just took a look at Google maps. The intersection at 170 street and approx 7 avenue SW looks pretty tight.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...campaign-issue

On Terwillegar Drive, drivers stick to the on-off ramps, zipping up and down from traffic light to traffic light.

That’s because on-off ramps are all Edmonton ever built of the mighty Terwillegar freeway – originally designed as a free-flow corridor to open southwest Edmonton and run straight past the airport.

Development went ahead, filling up the tableland between Whitemud Creek and the North Saskatchewan River, stretching farther south faster than anyone imagined. But Terwillegar freeway didn’t follow.

Now 30 years later — with annexation and more growth looming — the community has had enough. One collision on a major road can snarl traffic five kilometres away, and it does, regularly, forcing some residents to leave for appointments an hour early because they have no faith in the roads.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^
    But an alternative would be to upgrade the east-west links from that area – 23 Avenue and Ellerslie Road – to lure more people east, over Whitemud Creek to take 111 Street or Gateway Boulevard north.
    You mean the road they just spent almost an entire summer ....re-paving/ re-curbing???..... haha-aghhhhhh.. this city sometimes

Ellerslie road needs to upgraded either way. 23rd avenue - no one is going to use 23rd avenue to go downtown. Terwillegar should be upgraded to a full freeway in stages over the next 20 years, starting with 40th avenue, the rest in phases. The city should seek for the province involvement, and turn the full extension south of leduc as a highway 2A or redesignate in hwy 2, and remove that status from gateway.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Ellerslie road needs to upgraded either way. 23rd avenue - no one is going to use 23rd avenue to go downtown. Terwillegar should be upgraded to a full freeway in stages over the next 20 years, starting with 40th avenue, the rest in phases. The city should seek for the province involvement, and turn the full extension south of leduc as a highway 2A or redesignate in hwy 2, and remove that status from gateway.
    Completely agree, although I think the city should at least get to 23 Ave in phase 1. That would relieve A LOT of the congestion.

As for their plan to integrate LRT and Express buses, Im fine with express buses IF they build the freeway plan, if they only plan on building BRT lanes then why bother? And LRT should only go down Terwilleger drive if built the same way as down Crowchild Trail in Calgary.

We must get the whitemud to AHD.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I'm thinking the easiest interchange would be 40 Avenue.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^^ Easily a billion dollars of work to re-do the Terwillegar / Whitemud Interchange and AHD/Terwillegar Interchange as well as 23rd Ave, Rabbit Hill Road, 40 avenue...

Don't rework it though... just put the 4-6 lanes with overpasses at 40th, RHR and 23.
    www.decl.org

it needs to be re-worked, especially as traffic volumes grow. It's not designed for the capacity it will soon handle. Terwillegar and the Henday need to be a system to system free flow interchange.

Terwillegar will either become highway 2, or 2A...

Proposed Terwillegar Whitemud configuration. This is old, so don't get too excited.

This plan shows a single interchange by 2041 between Whitemud and Henday.

^^what a construction cluster...
    www.decl.org

Yeah, it'd be a mess for a while. Do you think Yellowhead/127 St. construction will be a picnic? Totally worth it in the end, though. It's not like we haven't gone through something like that in Edmonton before. But it just goes to show the importance of building infrastructure properly in the first place.

Oh, it is important to get these done, but the Y/217 is a MUST and is awful right now, Terw is just not efficient and was not properly design to begin with.
    www.decl.org

It's not safe either, left-exit/entrance interchanges are a terrible design. Especially when they're placed so close to other interchanges.

C2E SME

It looks like Terwillegar Drive will have a similar arrangement as 170/178 Street on Whitemud, if the exits to 40 Avenue/Bulyea Road connect at the Whitemud/Terwillegar interchange. I'm also thinking if there's more development at the Edmonton International Airport, Highway 2A to Terwillegar might be built sooner than later.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'm glad Parseyan recognizes this issue. I know who I'll be voting for.

http://www.parseyan.ca/infrastucture.html

^I know Parseyan from years and years ago. I read some of his platform, he seems pretty informed on a lot of issues.