Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Terwillegar Drive | Freeway Upgrades | Planning/Discussion

I really don't understand how city council could've debated this and come to the decision they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Yeah, no one wants to bike alongside a freeway if there's any other option. and if the freeway just dead ends at another freeway then it's even worse.

A multi-use trail bridge at 142st is way more useful. Add in another at 153ave over the ravine toward south Campus and suddenly riding a bike is a reasonable alternative to go toward the centre of the city from all of Riverbend. Maybe upgrade the sidewalks on Riverbend road and Rabbit hill Road to proper multi-use paths.

I guess bus lanes would be nice for a Leger-West express bus but that's hardly the biggest need - and it means riding right past most of the riders in riverbend. Put that money into a new Bus Bridge over whitemud ravine from 153ave to south campus (combined with the multi-use trail bridge above) to provide vastly improved bus service to most of riverbend.

Then you don't have to think about bikes and transit on Terwillegar so you can focus on general traffic.
    Agreed

What is wrong with using Bus-on-shoulder lanes that cost far less than dedicated bus lanes?

Bus-on-shoulder operations, also known internationally as "bus bypass shoulder" (BBS) operations, are a low-cost strategy allowing buses to travel at or near free-flow speeds through congested arterial and freeway routes. BBS describes the routing of a bus onto the shoulder of a road, usually a highway, in lieu of the standard general-purpose lanes. BBS is a policy-based alternative to constructing dedicated rights-of-way or restricting lane use to high-occupancy vehicles (HOV).
    Riders, in particular, seem to perceive a significant time savings from the lanes (possibly a result of the effect of the bus moving quickly past congested lanes). Passengers in Ohio, San Diego, and the Twin Cities have given positive feedback on the lanes. By making use of existing freeway infrastructure, bus-on-shoulder lanes have cost as little as $1,500 to $100,000 US per lane-mile to implement in the Twin Cities, a figure considerably less than adding a new lane (with an average cost of $2 million to $10 million US per lane mile) or implementing mixed-lane bus rapid transit systems (which cost $1 - $7 million US per mile on average)
    https://www.transitwiki.org/TransitW...us-on-shoulder
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

They could extend the LRT from Century Park to Leger down 23 ave and get rid of a lot of the buses that run there and to South Campus. Just extend the Metro line trains to make that run and get rid of the Health Sciences turn around. This alone could make a big difference in traffic

Yeah, no one wants to bike alongside a freeway if there's any other option. and if the freeway just dead ends at another freeway then it's even worse.

A multi-use trail bridge at 142st is way more useful. Add in another at 153ave over the ravine toward south Campus and suddenly riding a bike is a reasonable alternative to go toward the centre of the city from all of Riverbend. Maybe upgrade the sidewalks on Riverbend road and Rabbit hill Road to proper multi-use paths.

The bridge across the ravine is a nice to have, but if we get the ped bridge at 142, that is all that's really need for a easy pedal into downtown, you can cross the whitemud bridge, into laurier/buena vista/across hawrylak, and off to what ever central destination you want. That one bridge across the whitemud would save 20-40 minutes of riding out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

I guess bus lanes would be nice for a Leger-West express bus but that's hardly the biggest need - and it means riding right past most of the riders in riverbend. Put that money into a new Bus Bridge over whitemud ravine from 153ave to south campus (combined with the multi-use trail bridge above) to provide vastly improved bus service to most of riverbend.

Then you don't have to think about bikes and transit on Terwillegar so you can focus on general traffic.
    Agreed

What is wrong with using Bus-on-shoulder lanes that cost far less than dedicated bus lanes?

Terwillegar has no shoulders. Neat idea though, works/worked well in Ottawa when I was there. There is no room for shoulders. More of an urban freeway with curbs than a highway with shoulders....

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I really don't understand how city council could've debated this and come to the decision they did.

Easy, GIGO

Garbage in, garbage out

Garbage in-formation supplied to Council by the Administration
    Garbage out-come of decisions made by Council based upon the above.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Agreed

Bus-on-shoulder operations, also known internationally as "bus bypass shoulder" (BBS) operations, are a low-cost strategy allowing buses to travel at or near free-flow speeds through congested arterial and freeway routes. BBS describes the routing of a bus onto the shoulder of a road, usually a highway, in lieu of the standard general-purpose lanes. BBS is a policy-based alternative to constructing dedicated rights-of-way or restricting lane use to high-occupancy vehicles (HOV).
    Riders, in particular, seem to perceive a significant time savings from the lanes (possibly a result of the effect of the bus moving quickly past congested lanes). Passengers in Ohio, San Diego, and the Twin Cities have given positive feedback on the lanes. By making use of existing freeway infrastructure, bus-on-shoulder lanes have cost as little as $1,500 to $100,000 US per lane-mile to implement in the Twin Cities, a figure considerably less than adding a new lane (with an average cost of $2 million to $10 million US per lane mile) or implementing mixed-lane bus rapid transit systems (which cost $1 - $7 million US per mile on average)
    Nothing wrong with bus-on-shoulder but in the case of a 70 or 80km/hr urban freeway just a few KM long there's not much need for a continuous shoulder in the first place. Breakdowns are rare and most crashes occur at intersections - which a freeway doesn't have.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

The bridge across the ravine is a nice to have, but if we get the ped bridge at 142, that is all that's really need for a easy pedal into downtown, you can cross the whitemud bridge, into laurier/buena vista/across hawrylak, and off to what ever central destination you want. That one bridge across the whitemud would save 20-40 minutes of riding out of the way.
    That's a nice ride but it's hardly an all-weather all-abilities route to anywhere... and for the west half of riverbend they already have decent access toward the Quesnel bridge from the fort Edmonton park side if a recreational ride is the goal.

For a utility commute destined toward the university or downtown Rainbow valley bridge to the 122st multi-use would be better, and a high- level ravine crossing would be a huge improvement.
    There can only be one.

Terwillegar has no shoulders. Neat idea though, works/worked well in Ottawa when I was there. There is no room for shoulders. More of an urban freeway with curbs than a highway with shoulders....
    The current Terwillegar has no shoulders but the design for the upgrades could have them.

I think the 4 lanes of expressway is so counter intuitive and against the original 1970's design that it should be thrown out. The original free flow underpass/diamond interchanges is the way to go but some tall foreheads made the price so outrageous, thereby misleading Council on their decision to go with the silly expressway design.

While I don't think it's wise to be bound to 40-year-old plans, it seems to me as though the pre-built ROW should make an actual freeway upgrade cost the same or less as this 4-lane expressway that requires re-grading the whole route. In light of what realistic costs should be from here forward the freeway option just makes sense - and you don't even need a bus lane when you don't have stop-and-go-traffic.
    There can only be one.

No saying that you should be bound with 50 year old plans but when those plans were sound and commonly used on other areas in Edmonton and other cities, why reinvent the wheel?

Spending hundreds of millions on a 4 lane expressway lineal parking lot with multiple lights is insane.

I don't know if you've been out on manning drive lately but it's become something like this, with 3 through lanes and multiple turning lanes in places... the difference is that a whole lot less of the freeway work was done so that the current expressway design didn't cost much to build and it didn't requiring doing extensive work that will have to be re-done if we ever want to build the freeway.

Terwilegar as a 3 or 8 lane arterial wouldn't be that bad, really. No different than St. Albert Trail or 137ave as 6-lane arterials.

It's spending more to build a 6 or 8 lane arterial than it would cost to build a superior freeway that's the problem. And yes, a freeway would be superior in every way, even for pedestrians. All the pedestrian-unfriendyness of a freeway is already built, all that the expressway option adds is extra lanes to cross. I know I prefer crossing Gretzky drive as a freeway at 112 ave rather than as an expressway at 118ave.
    There can only be one.

The current Terwillegar has no shoulders but the design for the upgrades could have them.
    Could maybe, its a fairly tight ROW in places... probably not the best idea. The intention of this space was never for a highway style road with shoulders, always an urban freeway with interchanges.... like the next part of your post

I think the 4 lanes of expressway is so counter intuitive and against the original 1970's design that it should be thrown out. The original free flow underpass/diamond interchanges is the way to go but some tall foreheads made the price so outrageous, thereby misleading Council on their decision to go with the silly expressway design.
    emphasis added by me

I don't know if you've been out on manning drive lately but it's become something like this, with 3 through lanes and multiple turning lanes in places... the difference is that a whole lot less of the freeway work was done so that the current expressway design didn't cost much to build and it didn't requiring doing extensive work that will have to be re-done if we ever want to build the freeway.
    Manning was downgraded to none-freeway status with the rejunevation of fort road. That window has sailed. The city has decided it will remain as an expressway type road between fort road and the Henday.

True, although there's no constructed obstacles so far to prevent returning to the original plan.

My main point of course is that while an expressway can handle this volume of traffic and it's not always a mistake it doesn't make sense to build one when it costs so much - and when so much of the freeway is pre-built.
    There can only be one.

I agree.

Expressway is bandaid for a proper solution, and will end up costing tax payers extra in the end, expressway now + freeway later (30-50 years) vs freeway phased in (30-40 years)

How would freeway be phased?

I'm skeptical that the multi-level ramps claimed for WM/TD are necessary, but I would think that the 40th Ave, Rabbit Hill Road and 23rd/Riverbend overpasses could reasonably be built all at once for less than the cost of the proposed expressway, and you would have a freeway at that point.
    There can only be one.

phased I: 40th avenue+whitemud drive re-do years 5-8
    Phase II: Rabbit Hill Road 8-14 years
    Phase III: 23rd Avenue 14-20 years
    Phase IV: Haddow drive flyover+Henday redo 20-30

The thing lost in this discussion expressway vs freeway was that the freeway was to be phased in, similiar to above, over the next 20-40 years. The cost of 1.2 Billion over the length of the project. The expressway is immediate, 300 M and done, then any further fixes would need to remove some of the express and go right back to building the freeway, except now there's a more immediate need, and likely.... COST ESCALATIONS!!$#@!#@$)#@(I%

Phase I: Reserve ROW (1960's)
    Phase II: Grade ROW for freeway (early 70's)
    Phase III: 1980's Build two lane Off Ramps and Diamond Intersections and use them for 40 years
    Phase IV: Complete overpasses and pave 4 lane Freeway (2019)

or

push an expensive 8 lane "expressway" with multiple lights for stop and go traffic jams...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 10-10-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Phase I: Reserve ROW (1960's)
    Phase II: Grade ROW for freeway (early 70's)
    Phase III: 1980's Build two lane Off Ramps and Diamond Intersections and use them for 40 years
    Phase IV: Complete overpasses and pave 4 lane Freeway (2019-2039)

or

push an expensive 8 lane "expressway" with multiple lights for stop and go traffic jams...
    ftfy

ex·press·way

[ikˈspresˌwā]

NOUN
    NORTH AMERICAN

• a highway designed for fast traffic, with controlled entrance and exit, a dividing strip between the traffic in opposite directions, and typically two or more lanes in each direction.

ftfy

Ed·mon·ton ex·press·way
    [ed-muh n-tuh ikˈspresˌwā]

NOUN
    City of Edmonton Definition

a big budget highway designed for clogged traffic, with ill timed traffic lights every 700-1,300 meters, a dividing strip between the traffic in opposite directions, and typically two or more lanes in each direction, plus added bike lanes, bus lanes, and uber expensive overpasses that takes longer to build than the entire AHD ring road. Future planned improvements include multiple at grade crossing of slow urban streetcar with signals installed by Thales.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yup

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123