Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Louise McKinney Park

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Not sure why someone would need sand to enjoy this location with a book. .. Why aren't you using it now? How will sand make a difference?
    I think it would mostly be a psychological effect. "Hey, let's go to the beach!!", to some people, sounds more exotic and exciting than "Hey, let's go to the valley!"

Personally, I think the whole idea is ridiculous. A development needs to respect its environment, and to me there is just nothing about the Edmonton River Valley that suggests a beach. It would be a very artificial imposition.

Granted, I'm biased, since I don't like beaches. At all. But even still, do people who like beaches really think that one would fit in well with the surroundings of the River Valley?

C2E Long Term Contributor

In a province that has beaches at Sylvan Lake, Wabumum and elsewhere, I don't understand why this city has trouble grasping this concept. You don't put a beach halfway up the bloody hill from the river. It's ludicrious.

If Hawrelak Park is a no-go, here are two better ideas for a beach:

Idea #1
    Build the proposed canal in Rossdale. Put the beach there. I'm sure the canal can address safety concerns and such, yes?

Idea #2
    Include a man-made lake with a beach in City Centre Airport redevelopment. Make the damn lake suitable enough for boating, swimming, etc. and keep the geese with the loose bowels away from it. Then you have Sylvan Lake within city boundaries.

Done....gimme my consulting fee.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

One billion million

Was, now SWMP, against the law

Do not pass go, do not collect $200
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Not sure why someone would need sand to enjoy this location with a book. .. Why aren't you using it now? How will sand make a difference?
    I think it would mostly be a psychological effect. "Hey, let's go to the beach!!", to some people, sounds more exotic and exciting than "Hey, let's go to the valley!"

Personally, I think the whole idea is ridiculous. A development needs to respect its environment, and to me there is just nothing about the Edmonton River Valley that suggests a beach. It would be a very artificial imposition.

Granted, I'm biased, since I don't like beaches. At all. But even still, do people who like beaches really think that one would fit in well with the surroundings of the River Valley?
    Who here has been to Sugar Beach?!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Sugar Beach is not halfway up a hill from the water.

It's on a pier on the water - omg won't someone please think of the children

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 02-05-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ Doesn't change the fact that you have NO interaction with the water... It's also next to a shipping plant where tankers are offloading cargo holds full of sugar. It's not in a pretty area of town, nor is there a lot of parking or fantastic transit connections nor is there a crap load of ressy around it.

I didn;t ask if you have seen a picture of it I asked if you have BEEN to it?
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Follow the link to see where the beech is via google maps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=sugar...51580&t=h&z=17

Louise McKinney Park beach - presentation info plus online survey
    http://edmonton.ca/city_government/n...h-edition.aspx

in the poll, I mentioned that the beach should be adjacent to the river, not separated by the promenade as per last proposal I saw.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    I agree. In fact, I think it's an idiotic waste of money. If you're going to do something like this, you have to be able to actually go in the water (like Lake Summerside.)

Just finished the survey and blasted them for the beach idea.

A classic example of bureaucratic group think from people who have no expertise in this area whatsoever. Thunderously earnest and stupid.

I actually really like the idea. You will be able to see the water, but have a unique experience by sitting in sand with Muskoka chairs. Love the idea of fire pits, umbrellas.
    www.decl.org

^ Same here... After hanging out on sugar beech I get it..

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Ditto. Love the idea.

And when the river floods you do have the beach right on the water lol.

MARCH 4, 2014

PRE-CONSULTATION PRESENTATIONS (Closed to the Public)

Louise McKinney Park Riverfront Building and Plaza
    City of Edmonton - Jennifer Hubbard

I would like to see the riverwalk extended to the pedestrian bridge, but that will have to wait until that bridge is replaced by the LRT bridge.

C2E SME

^^hmmmmm, I wonder what kind of riverfront building and how big the plaza would be?

^Well with luck they will take the opportunity to link to the new bridge while all the area is closed because of the construction.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Continued Contributor

What I would love to see is from the current line building a set of tiered buildings going up the hill to become visible and connected with Shaw and Grierson Hill. Could be a bunch of competing cafés, restaurants, and with south facing windows and patios would be a destination. But most importantly would be visible.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

That would be sweet, but the usual protectionist zealots won't agree.

I don't agree, whatever that makes me.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Saw the rendering for the restaurant... Holy crap
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Would this be in the existing CRU or a new structure?

I saw the business plan for the restaurant... Holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    Would this be in the existing CRU or a new structure?
    New and incredible.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

^where exactly would it be?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

City moving forward on planned restaurant in Louise McKinney Park
    Restaurant part of larger park makeover, could open in 2 years

CBC News Posted: Jan 09, 2015

Design plans are in the works for a new restaurant to be built in the heart of Edmonton’s Louise McKinney Park.

The City of Edmonton is planning on building the restaurant, and then would lease out the space — a similar arrangement to that in place for the Three Bananas Cafe in Sir Winston Churchill Square.

Although a formal plan hasn’t yet been made, the restaurant will likely have seating for 40 to 70 people indoors, with another 30 to 40 seats on an outdoor patio.

“I don’t think we necessarily are looking for a fine dining experience,” said Sean Buchanan, the city’s project coordinator for Park and Facility Development.

Buchanan said the proposed restaurant, which would be built on what is now green space just south of the main parking lot, is part of the city’s plan to make the park a one-stop shop for all Edmontonians.

“You can just come off the trail and grab a coffee or something to eat, either sit indoors or on a nice day sit on an outdoor patio,” Buchanan said.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...895673?cmp=rss

So above the segway rental and to the west of the stage? About right? Great location with an improved staircase and access from Jasper Ave, and it has parking. So all bases are covered. So stoked.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Yup, excellent idea... but it will need to be a destination draw to be long term.
    www.decl.org

What type of restaurant would work there?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Would like to see a place that facilitates counter service for quick take out pick ups as well as sit down dining. Of course Outdoor tables should be part of this. Some wine and beer sales.

To me this is the right concept for this location;

http://www.marcellos.ca/home.asp

Heh, didn't even know they are already in Edmonton. What a hidden location. I've visited Marcellos in other cities. A bit pricy but take just what you want and fuel your tank with quick service. just whats needed in a high energy trail environment imo.

Actually what Buchanan is stating is bang on with what I'm visualizing. Just makes the most user sense to have the most convenience based layout. It would be popular.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-01-2015 at 03:42 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

It will be interesting to see what pans out for I will want to stop by for a pint or sandwich while biking but also want something a little more mid range for dinner when friends come into town.

Perhaps a cafe open all day with a dining room in the evening?
    www.decl.org

I will bet anyone that including rent and whatever the owner profits combined would be lucky to pay a tenth the costs to build this.

There is this notion that it would be like the Forks or whatever completely incomparable comparable they think they're shooting for.

Big fail of how to strategically improve this City. Not as bad as the hundreds of millions misallocated into unique-in-region facilities in Coronation Park for no reason other than expediency (if that even), but definitely the same line of misguided thinking.

Not a fan. Not good news to me. Not a passing grade.

It better be more than just a cafeteria.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Would like to see a place that facilitates counter service for quick take out pick ups as well as sit down dining. Of course Outdoor tables should be part of this. Some wine and beer sales.

To me this is the right concept for this location;

http://www.marcellos.ca/home.asp

Heh, didn't even know they are already in Edmonton. What a hidden location. I've visited Marcellos in other cities. A bit pricy but take just what you want and fuel your tank with quick service. just whats needed in a high energy trail environment imo.

Actually what Buchanan is stating is bang on with what I'm visualizing. Just makes the most user sense to have the most convenience based layout. It would be popular.
    It started out really good, but there has been at least one ownership change at the ATB Place one, and it has definitely declined.

The Chinese garden will have an additional feature - the entrance gate - set to complete sometime later this summer. The tiles and other items that are to adorn the gate are coming from China. There are still two remaining features that are in the pipeline but will depend on fundraising efforts (unfortunately, repairs on damaged features are cutting into the budget).

Here's a construction shot I took:

C2E SME

Wow, that's going to be awesome. I don't pass by the park enough to have noticed this new addition lately. Imagine my surprise next time I would have gone there and a big brand new gate in place, lol.

Now I'm curious of what the other features that are planned?

People
    www.decl.org

Job No 128761397-004
    Description: To operate a Specialty Food Services (57.52sqm Public Space) with Accessory Equipment Rentals (cafe with segway rentals).
    Plan 1521205 Blk 1 Lot 1
    Applicant: RIVER VALLEY ADVENTURE CO.
    Create Date: 5/12/2015 9:03:34 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Wow, that's going to be awesome. I don't pass by the park enough to have noticed this new addition lately. Imagine my surprise next time I would have gone there and a big brand new gate in place, lol.

Now I'm curious of what the other features that are planned?
    I think the next feature will be a "nine dragon wall" then finally the addition of a winding pathway.

C2E SME

Now if they were to do that wall, it would be amazing, where could they put that though?

People
    This being the huge problem with investing anything in the area right now which only gets vandalized at present location. Indeed much of the Chinese Garden looks different everytime I visit. Mainly due to the degrees of destruction.
    With closing the pedestrian bridge for a few yrs for LRT construction even less people will be passing through this area. A lot of the foot traffic that does exist is due to the bridge crossing being there. I think a considerable proportion of traffic comes from there to the McKinney area.

The Chinese gardens problem is its location. You would basically have to be told its there. its not very visible from either Jasper Ave or SCC. Most people don't even know it exists. Its a rare visitor that would.

The other problem is the top banks of the McKinney park are horrible looking. Basically weedy growth that looks nothing at all like a park. Maybe if the areas closest to Jasper Ave or SCC looked the least bit attractive it might entice people to actually view this as a park. As it is its the least loved park aside from the concrete infrastructure we keep putting in there. But the landscaping? Looks like a bomb dropped around there.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

The park needs a playground.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E SME

Playground will help. The biggest problem though is there is very poor access from Jasper Ave. If they want to help the area I say they should consider either stairs down from 96 St. (the Armature) and a crosswalk or a pedestrian bridge from that same location to help people get to the park easily.

Was there today, quite busy with walkers. Dogs, bikes, segways etc.

The cafe was steady, pictures tomorrow.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Something needs to be done with the space in front of and around the cafe and washrooms. It just feels so empty there. All there is, is poorly maintained, weed choked grass and a couple bike racks. Some benches, trees, or other landscaping would really help.

That would be a good spot for Gen-Why's Chill-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Something needs to be done with the space in front of and around the cafe and washrooms. It just feels so empty there. All there is, is poorly maintained, weed choked grass and a couple bike racks. Some benches, trees, or other landscaping would really help.
    Yeah. Aside from what Ian is saying the place and area is usually so empty that on evening walks I look over the shoulder feeling a bit uneasy about the place.

Rarely see even more than a group of people frequenting the place. When theres no events there at Louise McKinney its dead there. complete ghostpark. Its a shame but all badly designed. Like I said if access were better, if it looked visually appealing at all from Jasper maybe people would take the time. That the top scree bordering Jasper ave looks like a disgusting weedy mess doesn't help entice anybody. Really its not much of a park in anycase. Not a particularly enjoyable one. The promenade on the river is nice but few people know it even exists.

Originally posted this in the water slide thread, but it may be more appropriate here...

A water taxi going to / from LMP, Fort Edmonton and points in between(i.e. Hawrelak, Emily Murphy, Kinsmen, Rossdale eventually, etc...) would be awesome. Points east too? Goldbar, Rundle?

get a couple of food vendors for different times (food trucks), something different than the cafe and also some art sales. In Victoria the lower harbour has a native art section as well as a free for all. Add a few musicians and you have people coming. And people attract more people.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Thanks Ajs, the "Chill In" is supposed to run alongside my buddy's REFUGE In The Park event at LM Park for June 26 or 27th (date not set in stone). REFUGE takes places above the cafe/washrooms there playing relaxing and peaceful house music spun by local DJs from 4pm until about 11pm. The "Chill In" will be around it, with REFUGE music as a backdrop with a BBQ, games, drinks, more music, people selling wares, and whatever else we think of/people bring. Check it out May 24th... It might crash and burn, but we're young and will keep trying to get folks to enjoy underutilized urban space. Facebook both events to stay in the loop.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

May dandelion season is my favourite. So much better than the second time around. Lord help us if we spray them.

Hey, remember when the city wanted to do something with that space and everybody lost their collective mind about it because "IT'S NOT A REAL BEACH BECAUSE IT DOESN'T TOUCH THE WATER!!!!"?

It's geographically unlikely that anything works any better than it already does in LMP.

It's just too far down and too far away, that anything short of turning it into a parking lot with mall and a 'decorative lawn' fringe (and I won't be surprised if that comes up) will "draw people into this gem" (and destroy whatever is gem-like about it in the process.)

As if we don't have enough work to do on the top of the bank.

Plant trees in the parking lot, amp-up security to stop the panhandling-funded "vandalise-the-Chinese-Garden parties", and at least we can enjoy the vista again.

I'd gladly accept a funicular if it meant we could destroy that gawd-awful surface parking lot staining the vista, BTW, but only if we could destroy "that gawd-awful surface parking lot staining the vista".

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Yeah. Aside from what Ian is saying the place and area is usually so empty that on evening walks I look over the shoulder feeling a bit uneasy about the place.

Rarely see even more than a group of people frequenting the place. When theres no events there at Louise McKinney its dead there. complete ghostpark. Its a shame but all badly designed. Like I said if access were better, if it looked visually appealing at all from Jasper maybe people would take the time. That the top scree bordering Jasper ave looks like a disgusting weedy mess doesn't help entice anybody. Really its not much of a park in anycase. Not a particularly enjoyable one. The promenade on the river is nice but few people know it even exists.
    Photos may have not captured it, but all picnic areas were well used, many people passing through, many stopping at the cafe, lots of segways, kids playing. I'd bet there were 100 people there, still low, but the busiest I have ever seen it.
    www.decl.org

I used to get out there a lot until recently. Less often now. But like I said if you did number counts a fair number of people use the bridge to get to the area. Always people on it. Louise McKinney is going to be even deader when the bridge closes.

Just the way it is. Much of that "park" is poorly managed weeds and whatever growth that looks awful. The whole hill is a bit of an eyesore east of SCC.

I'm not convinced that this sloping poorly managed hill will ever work out too much. Might be a case of sinking bad money into it.

To say that the customers for the rental shop and café or whatever it is are underwhelming is understatement. These are part time of the year operations which are rarely busy.

Its a half baked out of the way location.

Broken record alert: Program the stage at LMP.

Staples' article in the Journal today about New Westminster praises the waterfront development. It's really nice, no doubt, but I visited there on more than one occasion because there was stuff going on - bands, theatre, what have you...

People have to figure out that this is much farther from people magnets than Forks or Eaux Claire or Ottawa, and that plus much colder than New Westminster.

There is no plan for winter sustainability and we have a vista the other cities don't which parking lots and gravel roofs will impact badly. Hall D badly.

The next Pecha Kucha will be there.

http://www.pechakucha.org/cities/edmonton/

Edmonton’s NextGen is pleased to present Pecha Kucha Night 22 (PKN 22)! This time it's BYOB, that is "bring your own BLANKET" because we want you all to get comfy on the grass in Louise McKinney Park!

PKN 22 will feature presentations on local ideas, projects and musings in the 20 slides at 20 seconds per slide format made popular worldwide by Klein Dytham Architecture. We're still finalizing presenters and will update this page once they're official. Check back soon!

Edmonton's NextGen gratefully acknowledges Stantec for its generous support as sole presenting sponsor of Pecha Kucha Nights! PKN 22 is also sponsored by: City of Edmonton, Famoso Neapolitan Pizzeria, Graphos, and Klein Dytham.

VENUE
    @ Louise McKinney Park
    9999 Grierson Hill Road
    Edmonton Alberta T5H 2A4
    DETAILS
    June 11, 2015
    6:30pm - 10:00pm
    $17
    www.decl.org

REFUGE Music YEG will be in Louise McKinney or above Tix on the Square at Churchill on July 11, 2015, Aug 22, 2015, and Sept 19, 2015 with the "Chill In" crew holding non-music fun and activities. Check out REFUGE here: https://www.facebook.com/RefugeMusicYEG?fref=ts.

REFUGE does low-key and mellow house music from (I think, if I remember) 4pm until 10pm. The "Chill In' teamed up with them to get more folks just at the park for non-music related reasons and to get more people enjoying the park as a space in general - which was a little what REFUGE was attempting to do. Should be a really good turnout with the two teams working together this year, but I know last year - and especially their final show - the turnout was pretty big. Nothing beats a couple hundred folks in the park on a Saturday night not drinking alcohol and doing drugs. Family friendly, all kinds of stuff happening. I know REFUGE is for a younger crowd (and not quite my scene either) but the mere fact that you can people watch is a biggie. Some interesting people usually come out.

edmonton.ca - Aug 25 environmental report to Council
    www.decl.org

Saw on the news the other day that some douche canoe drove all over the grass, tearing it all up to pieces.

Here's the story:
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=878365
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 29-05-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Bravo idiots.
    www.decl.org

How is there no CCTV in City Parks? At this point the cost is so minimal. Is it a legal thing?

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    How is there no CCTV in City Parks? At this point the cost is so minimal. Is it a legal thing?
    How could it be a problem For the City of Edmonton to have cameras in public parks but not other cities? That being said, down at the public bathrooms by the football/rugby club and fields at the Kinsmen has cameras on the outside, so why not elsewhere? I would love to see cameras to help catch asshats like this who need to be punished... Severely.

Do you really want CCTV everywhere? No thanks.

This was simply an idiotic random incident.
    www.decl.org

You're already on hundreds of cameras a day... What does a few more matter in public places?

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post

You're already on hundreds of cameras a day... What does a few more matter in public places?
    That's a huge maintenance expense. London is shutting down alot of their cameras because it's inequitable. Not to mention there's moral issues with it.

I think we have to just accept that these things unfortunately happen sometimes. There's idiots everywhere but I really don't want More's Utopia.

if you wanna be like london? why dont you just move there if you want all this cctv.

To catch the jerks who did this would have taken maybe one or two cameras in the parking lot or near the entrance. There is zero need for dozens of cameras covering every square foot of public space.

It's already everywhere. That's a false argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    if you wanna be like london? why dont you just move there if you want all this cctv.
    Great counterpoint.

Since people have no right to privacy in a public space while the costs of maintaining & policing said public space are borne on the back of the public writ large I've no issue with unmonitored CCTV all over the place, provided there's sufficient policies & safeguards in place for accessing the information & no permanent archiving thereof.

But then again I'm one of those crazies that want pervasive & comprehensive automated enforcement of drivers who don't hold up the responsibilities they agreed to when they decided to take on the responsibilities incumbent with the privilege of driving.

CCTV is a tool, the issues with it are generally implementation-based & not an inherent flaw in the tool itself.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'm really sad that idiotic vandalism of a park has turned into a debate about public CCTV. Only on C2E.

I'm really sad that idiotic vandalism of a park has turned into a debate about public CCTV. Only on C2E.
    Only on C2E would someone complain about people talking about measures to prevent & discourage vandalism after an incident.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Posting Power

Cost is minimal? I am putting 2,000,000 bucks worth into my building...not cheap at all...not sure why you think this is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Only on C2E would someone complain about people talking about measures to prevent & discourage vandalism after an incident.
    SDM is a troll at best of times. Wanna be forum cop tough guy.

SDM is a troll at best of times. Wanna be forum cop tough guy.
    When you're seemingly immune from moderation it can go to your head over time.

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Cost is minimal? I am putting 2,000,000 bucks worth into my building...not cheap at all...not sure why you think this is cheap.
    You are being ripped off then, a web cam costs about $10, and a hard drive about $100 and a few hundred for a light if needed. I realize probably needs to be a little more fancy in a commercial setting, but not $2m versus a few thousand. I am a big believer in cams in public places, I don't think there arae any privacy issues whatsoever, if you want privacy, keep your blinds closed and never leave home, because there cams everywhere already. If on the other hand, you aren't doing anything illegal that you are ashamed of, why worry? Its a shame this $^W#$ who did this isn't on a video somewhere.
    Last edited by moahunter; 31-05-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Because I can buy a wifi accessible camera that has HD video and limited night vision that I can log into from anywhere in the world for $250?
    I have also been involved with cameras that each cost $25,000 that communicated directly over fiber optic network across a multi kilometer industrial facility that were full PTZ (even had a little windshield wiper) fully resistant to corrosive atmosphere, with multi TB video recorder and controller etc. etc. etc. blah blah blah.
    So for monitoring a couple parkland areas, I think you can install a couple cameras for a reasonable price these days and the IT infrastructure is already in place in a lot of cases.
    Two million bucks...that must be a pretty important building.

C2E Posting Power

Because I can buy a wifi accessible camera that has HD video and limited night vision that I can log into from anywhere in the world for $250?
    I have also been involved with cameras that each cost $25,000 that communicated directly over fiber optic network across a multi kilometer industrial facility that were full PTZ (even had a little windshield wiper) fully resistant to corrosive atmosphere, with multi TB video recorder and controller etc. etc. etc. blah blah blah.
    So for monitoring a couple parkland areas, I think you can install a couple cameras for a reasonable price these days and the IT infrastructure is already in place in a lot of cases.
    Two million bucks...that must be a pretty important building.
    Not to get off topic; but that sounds like a sick set up.

2 million dollars worth of vandalism. What did they do; take an excavator to your building's envelope for a couple hours?

C2E Posting Power

No vandalism.....oilpatch...still lots of money of flowing into some projects....

C2E Posting Power

No vandalism.....oilpatch...still lots of money of flowing into some projects....
    Oops that was meant for Dan. I like your security though. A mini wiper?? I need that for cold nights photographing the planets lol

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Oops that was meant for Dan. I like your security though. A mini wiper?? I need that for cold nights photographing the planets lol
    Highlight of getting that system going was operating the wiper from five kilometres away. Anyway CCTV was just an annoyance in a infinitely larger project there.
    Now days there is tons of cheap hardware and IT servicing, even hardwire, it's damn near everywhere. Plus the city anyway has some wifi network on the go doing something, there are access points hanging off the light standards all over the place.
    There are public places where it makes sense as a deterrent.

C2E Posting Power

Highlight of getting that system going was operating the wiper from five kilometres away. Anyway CCTV was just an annoyance in a infinitely larger project there.
    Now days there is tons of cheap hardware and IT servicing, even hardwire, it's damn near everywhere. Plus the city anyway has some wifi network on the go doing something, there are access points hanging off the light standards all over the place.
    Everyone thinks A.Ps are a good thing. Trust me they're not. When Shaw installs Shaw Go Wifi in your building, expect heavy channel interference on all WIFI channels. I build this stuff for a living in the Falcon communities and am a huge advocate of minimizing Wireless tech in urban places as well as centralizing and conserving broadcasting strength.

Nobody will listen until they realize nothing will connect to their dishwasher...

Have to say it sucks that most of Louise McKinney Park is closed for construction. There's the LRT construction, funicular construction plus other work going on. The Shumka stage and Chinese Garden are open. I think the public building with the shop, cafe and washrooms are open, but unless I'm going blind I couldn't find any walkable access to it.

That park has been a site of ongoing construction since I can remember beginning in the early 2000s.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Everyone thinks A.Ps are a good thing. Trust me they're not. When Shaw installs Shaw Go Wifi in your building, expect heavy channel interference on all WIFI channels. I build this stuff for a living in the Falcon communities and am a huge advocate of minimizing Wireless tech in urban places as well as centralizing and conserving broadcasting strength.

Nobody will listen until they realize nothing will connect to their dishwasher...
    i thought it was just me who ended up putting shaw wifi on my list of networks to ignore... there were some spots where the signal and its "desire" to connect seemed to be so strong it interfered with the phone's even being able to connect to the cellular network, never mind other wifi networks, and it seemed to hand off that disconnect from one hotspot to the next.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12