Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: old postcards....

Addicted to C2E

Default old postcards....

Anybody have any old postcards of Edmonton they can post ?
    I have a couple just need to know how to add em to this post...

If you have the images already scanned to your computer, you'll need to host the images somewhere. I would suggest a free image hoster like
    www.imageshack.us

once you have the image uploaded, just copy the direct url it gives you, and then paste it in the image button above the reply window, or wrap the
    [img]url.jpg[/img] tags around the url

Quote Originally Posted by IGNITERS View Post
    here ya go ....its a start anyway !
    if you need more help - pm me

C2E Hard Core Contributor

never noticed a big red X in Edmonton before

Addicted to C2E

Default hardee harr

I'll figure this out with some help ....the big red X is on my back ! lol

Addicted to C2E

Default any luck?

hope this worked...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Nice!
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Addicted to C2E

Default here's another!

a classic ...

Wow, that picture of the Woodwards department store is amazing! I remember the glass being curved in the corner along with the building. I wonder why I don't see curved glass windows anymore?

Those photos are absolutely stunning Igniters, thanks for sharing!

Addicted to C2E

Default even more!

Addicted to C2E

Default check this out!

Addicted to C2E

Default another day I guess...

Addicted to C2E

Default almost out...

Addicted to C2E

Default finally ....

I wanna see more !...somebody must have something along these lines to add !

^ Yee-Haw!

It looks like most of Edmonton's pre WWII buildings were already gone in the '50s.

I have a box full of old postcards, mostly from the USA and Eastern Canada. I went through them and pulled the Edmonton ones. I also found a card that I had forgotten about. Will post it at the end.

Clarke Stadium

Jasper Avenue looking East. Note the Strand Theater and Johnston Walker on the South side.

Dawson Bridge with Riverside Golf Course

Edmonton International Speedway with cars lined up on the grid
    for the Can-Am Race

Kingsway Avenue in the foreground. Note the East-West runway which was closed in the mid-70s

EDMONTON'S PROPSED CIVIC CENTRE PARK Edmonton's present City Hall will serve as the focal point around which a
    $150-million civic centre will be built over the next 15 years.
    Last edited by 24karat; 05-03-2008 at 05:55 PM.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

This is the card that I found in the box:

A group of us had lunch at Jack Dempsey's Restaurant, and he gave each of us an autographed card.
    I wonder what that would fetch on ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Wow, that picture of the Woodwards department store is amazing! I remember the glass being curved in the corner along with the building. I wonder why I don't see curved glass windows anymore?
    That's a picture of Eaton's

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    That's a picture of Eaton's
    That's the corner of 102 Ave and 100 St looking west, so that'd make it Woodwards. That corner is now the entrance to City Centre East where the CBC is. Eatons was farther down 102 Ave.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

That's the corner of 102 Ave and 100 St looking west, so that'd make it Woodwards. That corner is now the entrance to City Centre East where the CBC is. Eatons was farther down 102 Ave.
    Nope, that's 101st street. Eaton's on the north side with the curved building and the King Eddy on the south side.

Woodward's did NOT have a curved corner like that. Clear sign of the Eaton's building.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

This sorta makes me want to go buy a bunch of postcards of Edmonton and stuff them in a box, so that others can marvel at them in 50-60 years or so.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post

Nope, that's 101st street. Eaton's on the north side with the curved building and the King Eddy on the south side.

Woodward's did NOT have a curved corner like that. Clear sign of the Eaton's building.
    That's definitely Eaton's. Woodward's was directly across the street (101 St.) and was about six stories high, as I recall. it was a rectangular, rather unspectacular, building, no curved walls at all. Maybe someone has a photo. The old courthouse was directly east of Woodward's, facing onto what is now Sir Winston Churchill Square. And 100A Street ran one further block north, dividing what is now Edmonton City Centre East. Wish I had a map!
    Almost always open to debate...

Those pictures of 101st and 102ave are amazing.

Edmonton makes me cry.

If you look at the third postcard that Igniters posted, it's a view looking North down 101 Street.
    Eatons is the curved corner building on the left a block up the street at the next intersection on the NW corner, and Woodward's is the building on the NE corner directly across from Eatons.

Addicted to C2E

Default yes eatons

Yes it is Eatons that is POSITIVE I know because I walked in and out of that building almost every day untill they foolishly tore that down,I remember reading that the destruction crew had a helluva time doing it to solid cement pillars and all !
    keep the magical postcards coming they're awsome huh?!
    I dig the concept for the land in front of city hall ....what happened to all those great trees!?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Great pictures!

Incredible thread! Just, WOW!

Can I assume that the track (and field) is Clarke Stadium along side Stadium Road (with Lafarge across the street)?

Again, veeeeery cool thread!

Yes, that's Clarke Stadium and the one with all of the parked vehicles is Edmonton International Speedway with the cars lined up on the grid for the Can-Am Race.

the one with all of the parked vehicles is Edmonton International Speedway with the cars lined up on the grid for the Can-Am Race.
    I was wondering what that one was. very cool.

These are awesome pictures/postcards.

I am too young to have likely ever see Edmonton like this in person, but we as a city surely have come a long way.
    Time to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post
    the one with all of the parked vehicles is Edmonton International Speedway with the cars lined up on the grid for the Can-Am Race.
    I was wondering what that one was. very cool.
    I too wondered what that was, but never made the connection. I was there a few times and one particular time was when Evil Knievel made an appearance. David Cronenberg's 1979 movie Fast Company was primarily filmed there.

Kantor's evil empire Qualico put an end to the Edmonton International Speedway around '82 IIRC. ;]

Addicted to C2E

Default a few more !

Addicted to C2E

Default fer tha kids!

Addicted to C2E

Default awwwww

Addicted to C2E

Default and ...

Addicted to C2E

Default also...

Addicted to C2E

Default whew...

Addicted to C2E

those are GREAT!!

Post #18, postcard#1...see Jimmy, we really used to be the oil Capital of Canada!!!
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

No Purple Lantern?

Addicted to C2E

Default purple ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    No Purple Lantern?
    whats the purple lantern?

^ The Purple Lantern was a great Chinese restaurant located where Scotia Place (west tower) is today, sort-of on Rice Howard Way (it would be across from La Table de Renoir Bistro). I was too young to ever go there, but my parents did and loved it. The Beachcomber Restaurant (Polynesian) was farther east, on the corner where Scotia Place's northeast entrance is today. Another neat place.
    Almost always open to debate...

These are great!!!

In fact, I'd really love to see more plus some then and now pictures - maybe we could learn something from them.

Interesting to note that in those old pics of downtown there are literally zero trees. I guess everything wasn't better back then.

I also found this old picture of downtown but it's not as old as the ones you guys posted. This is 1979. I actually dug it up for another thread where somebody was asking for pictures of downtown from the seventies but I can't find that thread now. If anybody can help me out with that I will post it there too.

Addicted to C2E

Default Trees?

Now I hope I dont come across as too negative and thank you for posting that great shot of the 70's but ....TREES?
    You look at all those great shots of a vibrant alive busy city on the way to history and all you see is no trees? ...and that would make life better for you ? Thats what you feel the past Downtown is missing ...TREES!
    Edmontons downtown was 10 times the area it is now and the people of this city supported it ,they didn't hide in their surbaban dollhouses and come up with great ideas like TREES and PLANTERS! LIKE THIS CITY IS LACKING IN GREENSPACE?! The people in this city made downtown their shopping centre , grocery destination, centre of nightlife and commerce ,folks showed up at the parade ( some took the day off work) It was the centre of this city and the postcards reflect that .
    The reason I posted these up ( and more are coming) was to show all the folks on this web deal here what we should aspire to ,something to dream ,that with some co-operation it possibly could be again ....like other citys, LIKE EDMONTON USED TO BE .....
    "I GUESS EVERYTHING WASN'T BETTER BACK THEN "?
    well now that there are trees I guess you can sleep at night .......

You want to aspire to going back to the fifties? No thanks man. The only reason people shopped downtown was because there was no other choice.

The city was ugly then. It's neat to see how things have changed but I think you're wearing rose coloured glasses.

Yes, the lack of trees is the first thing I noticed. It looks barren. Drive down Jasper Ave today and it looks a lot better. I didn't mean it to sound negative. It was just the first thing I noticed that's all.

Addicted to C2E

Default nifty but no ....

my intention when I said I would like it to be the way it was ,not to say I want the 50s back ( I wasn't born yet then) but a downtown that people actually used for more than their 9-5 office jobs....like it was .
    "THE CITY WAS UGLY THEN ".....this is your opinion ,you have a right to it ...to voice it as well ,but it's that attitude that left us with what we have now!
    A city that needs some work.....

o.k. you want more people downtown. Fair enough. I don't disagree with that.

But I fail to see how my attitude has left us with what we have now. Unless you mean that thanks to people with my attitude the streets are much prettier now. That I can agree with, but your comment didn't sound like a compliment. It sounded like you were blaming me (or people like me) for something.

The city was ugly then. Do you dispute that? Look at those pictures. I for one am glad Jasper Ave doesn't look like that anymore. Now, I realize there was more shopping on Jasper Ave back then and that was cool. I wish we had that back. But I don't want it to look like it did in those pictures again. That's for sure.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Unfortunately it's not much better now... the street furniture is rusted, ugly and dated and the interlocking bricks are uneven in many place. The Medians are falling apart too. Jasper Ave needs a revamp, and I'm hoping that's something that will happens when stuff start to happen in the Quarters.

Ya, the Ave could use another upgrade. Haven't really heard it talked about though. It's probably not even close to the top of the priority list.

Addicted to C2E

Default stay on track...

as great as all this passion for jasper ave etc is ... lets keep on the thread subject and thats old EDMONTON POSTCARDS
    POST EM IF YA GOT EM !

Default City of Edmonton - 1968

Here are some scanned images from a City of Edmonton pamphlet from (I believe) 1968. Click on the pics for larger images.

Last edited by soycd; 01-03-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Default Klondike Days - 1968

Here is a 1968 Klondike Days pamphlet. Click on the image for a larger one.

Quote Originally Posted by soycd View Post
    Here are some scanned images from a City of Edmonton pamphlet from (I believe) 1968. Click on the pics for larger images.

I have this brochure as well and would have acquired it in 1975.

Default August 26, 1979

Where were you on August 26th, 1979? Edmonton held its first real outdoor rock concert at Commonwealth Stadium...

EDMONTON SUMMER ROCK CIRKUS (of course, CIRKUS aka K-97)

The lineup (order of appearance):

Dixon House
    Streetheart
    Eddy Money
    Peter Frampton
    Trooper
    Heart

Here is a copy of the program...

Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    I have this brochure as well and would have acquired it in 1975.
    See...what did I tell ya? Some pamphlets, a gift bag and you're good to go! *wink*

Ha! I also have one of those wall flags/banners from the same time and more than one postcard. The ones from 1975 would be mine but I also have stuff from my grandmother (who I seem to take after more than I ever knew) that includes postcards and those Jasper Ave pictures that "roving" photographers used to take. Some have my dad or one of my uncles in them.

I will have to start scanning these items.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    Ha! I also have one of those wall flags/banners from the same time and more than one postcard. The ones from 1975 would be mine but I also have stuff from my grandmother (who I seem to take after more than I ever knew) that includes postcards and those Jasper Ave pictures that "roving" photographers used to take. Some have my dad or one of my uncles in them.

I will have to start scanning these items.
    What do you mean, "wall flags/banners"? It's a CoE promo thing? Yeah, I was digging through some boxes and came across a whole mess of pamphlets and newspapers (among other things). I'll select some interesting newspaper ads and post them. What do you think, Debbie - post them here or start a new thread?

Like school banners, with a fringe, except the one I have must be from the CoE.

I say start a new thread and let's keep this one dedicated to postcards (some pamphlets, brochures and banners would be similar IMO) but ads and newspaper "advertorials" should have their own thread.

p.s. You can call me Debbie, it is my name and I happen to like it!

Here is a 1968 Klondike Days pamphlet. Click on the image for a larger one.

I love the part about the $40,000 "dream home".

Thanks for scanning these - they pay great tribute to our history.
    ----

Addicted to C2E

In the heritage room at the downtown library, there's a book called Fond Memories, which consists entirely of old Edmonton postcards. Later this month, the Edmonton Stamp Club is hosting a show at the Fantasyland Hotel, with a lot of this kind of stuff on display.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Grovenor View Post
    In the heritage room at the downtown library, there's a book called Fond Memories, which consists entirely of old Edmonton postcards. Later this month, the Edmonton Stamp Club is hosting a show at the Fantasyland Hotel, with a lot of this kind of stuff on display.
    I think that event would interest a lot of people. Can you share a link or further information? Thanks.
    We are all the same, just different...

C2E Posting Power

Where were you on August 26th, 1979? Edmonton held its first real outdoor rock concert at Commonwealth Stadium...

EDMONTON SUMMER ROCK CIRKUS (of course, CIRKUS aka K-97)

The lineup (order of appearance):

Dixon House
    Streetheart
    Eddy Money
    Peter Frampton
    Trooper
    Heart

Here is a copy of the program...

There was a series of these Rock Cirkus events every summer for about 3 years. i went to one with Heart as the headliner, though i don't recall the others you've listed above.

Some other acts:
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Warren Zevon (R.I.P)
    Ian Hunter (*******)
    Prism

Anyone else old enough to remember some other acts?...
    In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IKAN104 View Post
    Interesting to note that in those old pics of downtown there are literally zero trees. I guess everything wasn't better back then.

I also found this old picture of downtown but it's not as old as the ones you guys posted. This is 1979. I actually dug it up for another thread where somebody was asking for pictures of downtown from the seventies but I can't find that thread now. If anybody can help me out with that I will post it there too.

sad thing about that picture, we have more surface lots now than we did then...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Grovenor View Post
    I think that event would interest a lot of people. Can you share a link or further information? Thanks.
    The show is in the last weekend in March. The hotel conference centre is best reached using the WEM entrance by London Drugs. Take the elevator to the third floor.

Link: http://www.edmontonstampclub.com/about_us_spring.html

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IKAN104 View Post

sad thing about that picture, we have more surface lots now than we did then...
    Yeah, and we've lost many historic bldgs for those parking lots.
    ----

Please keep the QUOTING of PICTURES to none at all, please, for the sake of all our connections.

Found this shot on flickr from 1981...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadag...51994/sizes/o/
    ----

Addicted to C2E

Default here is a couple more

Addicted to C2E

Default and ...

THE CARAVAN!

Very cool nightclub at the top, is that Tony Bennett I see singing ??

WOW! great thread. I love the old signage, as in posts 10 (Seven Seas) and 13 (MET and Peoples Credit). The only remaining one that comes to mind is on Lillo's Music shop on Whyte, though I'm sure there must be others. The Hub Cigar Store had a great one, too, until the fire a few years ago.

Default Wow, this is just what I have been looking for!

What a great thread. Could we make this a sticky?

I grew up in Edmonton in the 60s and 70s but moved to Ontario in the 80s. I have been looking for pictures of the Edmonton that I grew up in but have had a difficult time finding images that contain landmarks from this time.

So many of the old buildings were torn down in the late 60s and early 70s to make way for new construction like Edmonton Center, Capitol Square, the Convention Center and the downtown LRT. Many of the memories of my youth centered around places like Mikes Newstand and the next door Kellys Records, the Chinatown around W W Arcade, shopping with my mom at the old Farmers Market, Family Drugs, Dreamland Theater etc etc etc. Without any photos many of my memories are slowly fading away.
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 07-06-2009 at 07:05 PM.

Addicted to C2E

Default thank you!

Glad I could help to bring some of the memories back !
    I know they are VERY important to me as well , If you have ANY to post that would be great ( even a good snapshot!) what I am personally looking for is a shot of the WAFFLE SHOP on 103 st or the TIKI TIKI on 117!

Addicted to C2E

Default yet still another shot of Jasper ave ! the year ...

1965!
    Last edited by IGNITERS; 10-06-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Addicted to C2E

Default just stumbled upon a scanner so ....

Addicted to C2E

Default and ....

Where was that old Greyhound station?
    Strathcona City Separatist

Across from City hall

Hey that's Al Pacino waiting for his Table Built Ceasar salad
    Better get right buddy !

Wouldn't it be the Urbia site? I know that the parcel needs some heavy decontamination due to a bus station...
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Addicted to C2E

Default bus depot location

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Across from City hall

Hey that's Al Pacino waiting for his Table Built Ceasar salad
    Better get right buddy !
    no not across from city hall but actually where the bay part of eaton centre is now ...when 102 st went east past 102 ave ( now its filled wth mall ) that is where is stood ,esentialy across from the old Eatons on the NW corner of 102 ave and 102 st ...
    The barber shop was in the bacement and there was eames era fiberglass chairs had pay TV's to watch ( at least when I was a kid running around causing trouble lol ) OH the coffee shop was cool too !
    not the most modern of buildings but sturdy as a horse !

no not across from city hall but actually where the bay part of eaton centre is now ...when 102 st went east past 102 ave ( now its filled wth mall ) that is where is stood ,esentialy across from the old Eatons on the NW corner of 102 ave and 102 st ...
    The barber shop was in the bacement and there was eames era fiberglass chairs had pay TV's to watch ( at least when I was a kid running around causing trouble lol ) OH the coffee shop was cool too !
    not the most modern of buildings but sturdy as a horse !
    I had forgotten all about the old Greyhound station. I remember waiting for the #3 bus across the street. The old building sure had a lot more character than the new station that replaced it.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

It looks so similar to the Sage / Seniors building west of the City "Hollerin" Hal

Partially Addicted to C2E

What is the castle, was that in Edmonton? And is that the U of A hospital above the Castle?

Oh my goodness, but I want that lounge in the middle picture SO BADLY.
    [email protected][email protected]: the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMonkey View Post
    What is the castle, was that in Edmonton? And is that the U of A hospital above the Castle?
    The "Castle" is at the Valley Zoo to this day.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Addicted to C2E

Default yes ,

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMonkey View Post
    Yes that is the U of A hospital ....I'll have to remember to put descriptions on the postcards lol
    I wish this forum had an edit feature...

( OH and the crazy 70s pad is the Chateau Lacombe !)

grish

there is an "edit" feature.

look for large red button on bottom right of your post. click on it and edit...

I just wanted to add this line.
    Last edited by grish; 11-06-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Adding an extra line.

Addicted to C2E

Default well duh?

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    there is an "edit" feature.

look for large red button on bottom right of your post. click on it and edit...

I just wanted to add this line.
    Yes I see the button but it only applies to your last post and not previous posts....this is my contention I wish I could group all the postcards into one post with descriptions to shorten the thread but alas this seems not possible ( maybe for the moderator though ?)
    so lets see them vintage postcards people!

You should be able to edit any of your posts with in the last 15 days.

Addicted to C2E
    Last edited by IGNITERS; 14-07-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Default S S Kresge

Not from a postcard but a photo I took back in late 1978 or early 1979 of Kresge on 101st Street north of Jasper Ave.

Last edited by norwoodguy; 01-10-2009 at 10:30 PM.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I know this isn't a postcard but it is old, I shot it in early 1978.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJnhW...eature=channel

Addicted to C2E

Default Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by old ed View Post
    i know this isn't a postcard but it is old, i shot it in early 1978.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejnhw...eature=channel

thank you for this!!!!!

Default Jasper Ave. November 1891

Nice image almost perfectly exposed to boot !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast