Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 2,201 to 2,233 of 2233

Thread: Edmonton International Airport (YEG) Terminal Expansion

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    The Alberta Motor Transport Association (AMTA) is set to build a new training facility at the Edmonton International Airport this summer.
    Having outgrown the current Edmonton office, the AMTA plans to build a 20,000-square foot training facility, a five-acre test driving track and a truck driving simulation trainer at the EIA site.
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/01/20/commercial-driver-training-facility-coming-to-edmonton-international-airport#.WIVwxdOKbAx.email
    Nothing to do with EIA Terminal Expansion thread. Please delete and put under EIA real estate development or ?

Interesting. 'Airports were built in the 1970s by men and for men' ...

Excerpt:

"I was so surprised - I thought that I would have problems in Mumbai but in fact it was Heathrow Airport that had no facilities at all.

"Breastfeeding mums are not really thought about - the difficulties that we encounter are not understood - and you would think that an airport could accommodate us."

'Airports were built in the 1970s by men and for men' ...

Source:
    Breast pumps baffle airport staff - BBC News
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38809100
    Last edited by KC; 04-02-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Escondido View Post
    WestJet is unhappy with YYC's new expansion: http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...t-of-its-peers
    I hope YEG is talking with our major airline partners about terminal expansion proactively instead of reactively.
    Well I recently went through Calgary and I too am not impressed at all.

Oh its purdy and all that, looks like that's where they spent all the money. The duty free is cramped, not enough places to sit, and that people mover looks like an after thought and can easily be breached by passenger incursions not knowing about it and start walking down the road. Cavernous, not enough natural light.

Edmonton International is way ahead. Quick, easy to figure out, clear, direct, and purdy!

Did I mention Edmonton has a lot less debt than Calgary too?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Maybe EIA even has plans to pay off their debt! We can hope.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Edmonton to become 1st airport to use robotic falcons to control birds
    'This is truly a historic moment for our company but especially for the entire aviation industry'
    CBC News Posted: May 09, 2017

It's a bird, it's a plane .... wait ... it's a robotic falcon.

Edmonton International Airport will soon become the first airport in the world to use robotic falcons and eagles to chase birds from flight paths and discourage nearby nesting.

"EIA is excited to trial this new technology," said Steve Rumley, vice-president of infrastructure.

The remote-controlled raptors flap in a similar fashion to real birds of prey "triggering the instinct of birds, through the combination of silhouette and wing movement, chasing off birds," the company that makes the robots said on its website.

Netherlands-based Clear Flight Solutions said the flight behavior of the birds is "so indistinguishable from its natural counterpart that other birds believe that their natural enemy is present in the area."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...106703?cmp=rss

Is this April 1st. ? lol

C2E Long Term Contributor

$439 on yegdeals to the UK and Iceland.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

It seems like expansion 2012 just happened, crazy to think that was 5 years ago now. I'm always curious to have the discussion regarding terminal renovation/expansion and when we will hear about the next round of updates.

I am not advocating for a major expansion right now as clearly the demand hasn't grown as was anticipated back when that project occurred. But do you think we will hear anything in the next year on perhaps even some smaller projects with the terminal itself? For me the top 3 areas of interest in no particular order are 1. North terminal update 2. former control tower/offices 3. Arrivals area remodel/expansion

I know none of these are in critical need to be looked at but they are at least some of the areas i thought might be worth a look? Thoughts? Sorry if I have brought this discussion forward previously.

We need to get rid of the bush-league, pro-sports-themed mannequin-based dioramas in the international arrivals baggage area. Super duper cringey first impression for anyone coming into Edmonton via air.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^ I agree.

It was neat at first but it's time to take down those displays.

It feels like you arriving into Red Deer regional airport, not an international airport

Quote Originally Posted by edm_guy View Post
    ^ I agree.

It was neat at first but it's time to take down those displays.

It feels like you arriving into Red Deer regional airport, not an international airport
    After some thought i think i have to reluctantly agree. Appreciate the bold idea and the nod to our sports teams but it does feel a bit small town.

On the topic of carousels the domestic arrival carousels are one of the reasons i mentioned that area as a candidate for some work. Is it just me or do they feel a bit undersized?

C2E Continued Contributor

I agree as well. Makes us look bush league and small town. Get rid of them.

But..but...we's the City of Champions, doncha know?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

disagree, I like the displays and think thy should stay. Would you say it was bush if you saw if done at the airport in New York with the Yankees or Giants or in montreal with the Canadians? They are a big part of their city's history just as the Oilers, Eskimos and oil Kings are to Edmonton. Does not look bush league at all.

The point is, the New York and Montreal airports do NOT have sports displays at their arrival carousels - instead those have digital ads for various events and info in the vicinity. Likewise at the Toronto, Vancouver and Ottawa airports.
    Calgary does have arrival carousel displays that promote their tourist attractions and winter sports in the area, but nothing that promotes the Stamps and godless Flames.
    EIA can do likewise to use the carousels to promote the attractions, events, parks and recreational activities in the area for visitors and tourists, but have opted for the tacky sports team displays instead.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Difference of opinion, I see no problem with what our airport has done. I do not think they are tacky.

Think of the bigger picture, Doug.
    If you are a first-time tourist or business traveler flying into Edmonton, what would you rather be staring at whilst waiting for your luggage to be unloaded from the plane and onto the carousel?
    Displays of the Oilers and Esks?
    Or digital displays that promote Jasper and Elk Island National Parks, WEM, Fort Edmonton, Whyte Ave, street markets, eateries, upcoming festivals, concerts and events (and yes that includes upcoming Oilers and Esks games) etc etc etc?
    I'm not a business guru, but one thing I know is that first impressions matter.

I have never been a huge fan of the Oilers murals. But they are still better than the over-the-top advertising proposed in the post above.

Real cities need no advertising at the airports and train stations that serve them.

C2E Continued Contributor

I agree with Sonic. Lets try a different approach and see if it is more effective. Edmonton needs to do a better job of self promotion and it starts at the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Think of the bigger picture, Doug.
    If you are a first-time tourist or business traveler flying into Edmonton, what would you rather be staring at whilst waiting for your luggage to be unloaded from the plane and onto the carousel?
    Displays of the Oilers and Esks?
    Or digital displays that promote Jasper and Elk Island National Parks, WEM, Fort Edmonton, Whyte Ave, street markets, eateries, upcoming festivals, concerts and events (and yes that includes upcoming Oilers and Esks games) etc etc etc?
    I'm not a business guru, but one thing I know is that first impressions matter.
    Good point, our city and region does a very poor job of promoting what we have to offer. We have never looked at ourselves as a destination location.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    I have never been a huge fan of the Oilers murals. But they are still better than the over-the-top advertising proposed in the post above.

Real cities need no advertising at the airports and train stations that serve them.
    That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Clearly you haven't travelled much... and if you have, generally only the MAJOR tourist destinations, which mostly have exactly what Sonic mentioned above.

C2E SME

Edmonton could have different murals at their carousels. For example, the US/International Arrivals section could have Jasper National Park or West Edmonton Mall. The other carousels could feature Elk Island Park and the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village, the Edmonton Folk Fest with a view of downtown, an overhead drone shot of Fort Edmonton.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I get that we want to be more than sports teams...agreed.

I appreciate that rolling (digital or otherwise) ads / displays extolling the virtues of the area and current activities is good...

However...

Before we splash up our offerings....is it just advertising what we have, or displaying the same lather, rinse, repeat as the next city?

Balance is key...showing the same mountain scene or river shot the tourists sees in countless brochures and Web forums isn't inspiring either regardless of where you're going...

Advertising is not atmosphere IMO.

I'm not overly bothered by the murals.
    Onward and upward

^ I'm fairly certain that a digital screen that advertised your air show would be far better than those sports displays!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ I'm fairly certain that a digital screen that advertised your air show would be far better than those sports displays!
    High Definition Clips for each season and special events from RAM, Art Gallery of Alberta, Fringe Festival, Heritage Festival, Edmonton Symphony, Edmonton Opera, Edmonton Cité Ballet and the Edmonton Metropolitan Region etc.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 29-07-2017 at 01:26 PM.

YWG reminded me just how far we have to go with our arrivals hall. Theirs is maybe the nicest I have seen.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Agreed YWG is fantastic although i give us some slack with theirs being brand new. I believe strongly We need to bump ours out a bit further. I think we can still maintain a proper roadway for taxis/shuttles/vehicles even with a bit of expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    YWG reminded me just how far we have to go with our arrivals hall. Theirs is maybe the nicest I have seen.
    I think YOW has a nicer one.

C2E Posting Power

Weird....flying to John this morning....what was normally "domestic security" had a sign labeled "domestic AND International security" ....huh? Did they shut down international security? It was open last week flying to the States

U.S. Security is a separate one only to the U.S.

Because KLM, Icelandair and the non-U.S. charters all leave from the Domestic side they are trying to clear up confusion.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Base View Post
    Agreed YWG is fantastic although i give us some slack with theirs being brand new. I believe strongly We need to bump ours out a bit further. I think we can still maintain a proper roadway for taxis/shuttles/vehicles even with a bit of expansion.
    What I dislike most about YEG's arrivals hall is that the ceiling is too low. It gives the whole area a cramped crowded feel. Unfortunately that won't be easy to fix.

C2E SME

I think a quick fix might be to have part of the ceiling cut out to allow for natural light.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I noticed this evening there are now 8 security lines up from 5. Quite the increase.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223