Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 1620

Thread: I remember when...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Komorosky View Post
    Re: posting #1585
    There was also a House of Tools in that shopping mall. I used to go there to buy and browse their excellent choice of tools. They had another Store at Mayfield Common but both closed down over the years.
    Me too.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

According to my memory and a 1995 article from the Edmonton Journal on the occasion of IKEA's grand opening at the Whitemud Drive location:

- Opened in Edmonton in 1978 -- 50th Street & Sherwood Park Freeway location
    - Moved to West Edmonton Mall -- likely in 1985 when Phase 3 opened
    - Moved to Calgary Trail & Whitemud Drive (old Eagle Hardware location, more recently Finesse Furniture) in 1995
    - Moved to present South Edm Common location in 2003

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I didn't listen to CHQT much in the early 80s, but my parents did. I remember on the morning show, every Friday they would have a guy singing this country-westernish song about "the last seven days", recapping the events of the previous week.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    I didn't listen to CHQT much in the early 80s, but my parents did. I remember on the morning show, every Friday they would have a guy singing this country-westernish song about "the last seven days", recapping the events of the previous week.
    Bob Bradburn.

My mom listened to CHQT too. I think the song started with the lyric, "This week had seven days....".

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Bob Bradburn.

My mom listened to CHQT too. I think the song started with the lyric, "This week had seven days....".
    That's right. I think I read somewhere that it was originally used on the 1960s CBC show This Hour Has Seven Days, for their weekly wrap-ups, and the basic format was written by Mavor Moore.

Wow. AADAC has at least one archived copy of Zoot Capri magazine from the early 80s. Click on the magnifying-glass to browse inside.

http://tinyurl.com/j56awr4

Like most Alberta youth my age, I got unsolicited deliveries of that magazine for a few years.

Looking back, I wonder how effective it really was at keeping kids away from substance abuse. It seems to me it might have been simultaneously too square and too cool. Too square, because most of my peers seemed to view it as just some goofy educational thing that adults want you to read for your own good. And too hip, because it had articles on things like "Best Places To See A Rock Concert In Edmonton", whereas, if we're being totally honest, a kid's chances of smoking a joint likely increase if he goes to a rock concert.

So, the cool kids would have thought it was too square, and the square kids would have been encouraged to do the kind of things that increase their exposure to recerational substances. That said, I will admit that I was a (pretty square) fan of Zoot, and I wasn't inspired to go to rock concerts and take drugs.
    Last edited by overoceans; 13-01-2017 at 05:43 AM.

Wow. AADAC has at least one archived copy of Zoot Capri magazine from the early 80s. Click on the magnifying-glass to browse inside.

http://tinyurl.com/j56awr4

Like most Alberta youth my age, I got unsolicited deliveries of that magazine for a few years.

Looking back, I wonder how effective it really was at keeping kids away from substance abuse. It seems to me it might have been simultaneously too square and too cool. Too square, because most of my peers seemed to view it as just some goofy educational thing that adults want you to read for your own good. And too hip, because it had articles on things like "Best Places To See A Rock Concert In Edmonton", whereas, if we're being totally honest, a kid's chances of smoking a joint likely increase if he goes to a rock concert.

So, the cool kids would have thought it was too square, and the square kids would have been encouraged to do the kind of things that increase their exposure to recerational substances. That said, I will admit that I was a (pretty square) fan of Zoot, and I wasn't inspired to go to rock concerts and take drugs.
    I know someone that was involved in media similar to that back then(except his work focused on STDs, etc.) Any great, smart, witty or hard hitting messages were always shot down by "the establishment". Only dull, boring and uninteresting ever went forward.

I stumbled across this thread when I was searching for other information. I thought it deserved to be BTT. This “I Remember When” really got me going. I basically grew up in Old Strathcona. Reading this thread had brought forth so many memories - I remember them too!

I was born in 1964 at the General Hospital on 111 St & Jasper Ave. Mom said we lived in an apartment above Strathcona Furniture. I remember living in suites in houses on 99 St-83 Ave. Then an apartment on 102 St-83 Ave by the train tracks. I remember my parents’ friends staying overnight and saying the next day “the train woke me up” and we would say “what train” cause we were so use to it we never heard them. Then we moved to an apartment that was built on the site of the houses we had lived in on 99 St. I know/knew the area very well.

Changes to Whyte Avenue between Bonnie Doon Mall and 112 Street since about 1970, I remember many of them. Changes to BD Mall - I remember. Same with the downtown core - I remember. Mill Creek area around 82 Avenue, I remember. So many places - I remember. Many of the major news events, local celebrities, tv shows - I remember. Many of the old posts - I could bump so many of them - I remember.

Oh, how I remember!

Another Garlic City classic.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...tion-1.4361352

' Emmonites ' !

Top_Dawg loves it.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ This was probably brought up from the archives because Mike Tyson's Undisputed Truth is at the River Cree on Nov 25. I think this is a speaking engagement with him lisping away about his life.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

An inglorious event.

Don King, in all his flamboyant reverence, referred to locals as Edmonites. Mike Tyson stated, "Most cities I've fought in were, like, cities." In reality it was cancelled due to Tyson's condition of poor ticket sales.

I remember a shop on Whyte Avenue in the 80s/90s that sold all variety of cigarettes, and there was a counter where people would sit around and smoke and chat, like a bar. It was one of the places where you were able to buy single cigarettes.

Can't recall the name, but it was in Old Strathcona somewhere, probably towards 109th on the north side of the street.

Does anyone remember a instrumental from the late 50's or early 60's (I think) and it had a title that was something to do with space (space race etc).
    I remember a family member playing it from a C D. I can remember the tune but that's about it and it's driving me a bit crazy as I knew the name of it but just cant think of it right now.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

^ Telstar by The Tornados, maybe?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I remember a shop on Whyte Avenue in the 80s/90s that sold all variety of cigarettes, and there was a counter where people would sit around and smoke and chat, like a bar. It was one of the places where you were able to buy single cigarettes.

Can't recall the name, but it was in Old Strathcona somewhere, probably towards 109th on the north side of the street.
    Burlington's Tobacco? It's still there, next to When Pigs Fly.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post

Burlington's Tobacco? It's still there, next to When Pigs Fly.
    Yeah, that might be it. I can't believe it's still there. I was sure that they would have somehow been in violation of the new tobacco-sale laws.

You used to be able to go into a back room, and they had all the packages on display, sort of like a museum. But now I'm assuming they'd all have to be behind the counter and covered up.

^ At the very least, I doubt it's a smoking-bar anymore, since you can't smoke inside businesses.

Plus all the modern technology.

To Top_Dawg's recollection, all the cigars and tobacco at Burlington's are now stored in humidors.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    ^ Telstar by The Tornados, maybe?
    Bingo Howie that's the one. I was watching Mad Men and it game on and I had heard the tune before but did not know what it was called.
    It's an awesome instrumental. Thnx.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

^ Cool. Glad to be of assistance.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617