Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,300 of 1672

Thread: I remember when...

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ 10 or 15 years ago
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post
    How about "International Stereo... we shop the world for you" jingles? When did they go out of business? I remember they had a location on the main floor of the Phipps/McKinnon Building.
    What was the stereo shop that used Queen's We Will Rock You in their ads, early 80s or so?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    What was the stereo shop that used Queen's We Will Rock You in their ads, early 80s or so?
    Was it Krazy Krazy?

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Was it Krazy Krazy?
    I don't THINK so, but I'm not sure.

^^ I think it was A&A Records
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I think you mean Krazy Kellys. AKA Kellys Stereo. They used to close Sundays when everyone else was open and that I think got them where it hurts.
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand;they listen with the intent to reply.

First One is Always Free

What about all those poor Dickie Dee ice cream vendors that were always getting robbed?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. View Post
    What about all those poor Dickie Dee ice cream vendors that were always getting robbed?
    What kind of robberies were these? Someone coming up and assaulting the vendor and taking snacks/money? Or would the vendor leave his post, and people would rip stuff off while he was gone?

Yeah, I remember there were a couple of Dickie Dee guys who got robbed. I remember being in the park one day and asked my daughter if she wanted an ice cream now, before the guy got robbed of his cones and money.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

First One is Always Free

These were basically an ice cream cool box on a tricycle frame. Two wheels on the front and one on the rear. They were ridden by youths who would jingle bells on the handebars. These were some of the first robberies with violence (muggings) and were most often for cash but sometimes ice cream. They were usually done by older youths sort of like the iPod robberies that are now happening here.

First One is Always Free

Wow, this is absolutely amazing! I've been looking for a place where people share memories of Edmonton and really hit the jackpot when I found this fantastic site. I've been spending a few hours reading some of the posts here and I'm literally stunned by what I've found! There are people here that went to the same school at the same time I did and have the same memories, cbcharlesmillar being just one. He mentioned going to Norwood Elementary and having Mr.Bosch as his Grade 4 teacher - so did I! This just blows me away - could you have been in his class with me? Mr.Bosch was a great guy and a wonderful teacher, someone I'll remember as long as I live.

I lived in Edmonton from 1956 to 1974 when we moved to BC, but I've really always been an Edmontonian at heart. We were literally buried in snow that winter and I vowed never again. To this day, in some ways I regret that decision, but that's life.

We lived in Norwood at first, in a tiny white house - now long gone - at 11532-92nd street. I have incredibly fond memories of my childhood there, and what really stands out is how friendly the people there were, especially the kids. It was a pretty diverse neighbourhood, with lots of European immigrants, including us. We came to Canada from the Netherlands in the Spring of '56 when I was still an ankle-biter. One neighbour a few doors down from us was a black family by the name of Jones whose youngest son Mickey was my best friend. I never gave the fact that he was black a thought until I was a few years older and the race riots in the States started happening and I don't anyone else did either. There was another kid across the street from us that was confined to a wheelchair because of serious congenital spinal problems, but that didn't stop the rest of us kids from befriending him. I'm still amazed how innocent kids were at the time, and a lot of adults as well.

I've noticed some other folks here have memories of the old Stop 'N Shop on 115 Ave and 92 St. We loved going there for penny candy ( remember the little black licorice ones we used to call nigger-babies without even thinking about what it meant? Oh my...) and ice-cream cones for a dime. Popsicles were 6 cents. That store's still there, now it's the 115 Ave. Supermarket. I'm not sure if it's still the original building though, my memory of it is a bit different.

In 1962 we moved to a new house in Rosslyn, on 104 St. and 133 Ave. just a couple of blocks from my new school, Scott Robertson Elementary. I remember the duck-and-cover air raid drills and the siren that was installed on a big pole near the corner of 134A Ave. and 105 St. My parents lived through WW2 in Europe and when that siren went off it scared the living daylights out of my Mom. I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis and how afraid I was that we would all be fried to a crisp in the nuclear war that everyone felt was just around the corner, not much fun when you're only 11 years old.

Another vivid memory I have is the day President Kennedy was assassinated. I was in my Grade 6 class when the principal came on the PA and told everyone what had happened and that school was being dismissed for the day. His name was Mr.Quail and his voice was cracking with emotion so we barely understood what he said. I remember my Mom was crying when I got home. An incredibly sad day.

I have lots of happy memories of growing up in a wonderful city. The old Edmonton will always be with us thanks to this great site. I'm hooked!
    Last edited by The Usual Suspect; 01-02-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: ooops - forgot something!

Found this in my explorations tonight....

http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogsp...label/Edmonton

Scroll down to the last Safeway Picture. Look familiar????? Circa 1968.

^ Yes, that's the grocery store on Jasper Ave/117 St.
    In all its latter iterations...Hull's, Champions, etc...it has always retained a Safeway-like feel.
    I'm guessing that Safeway pulled out of there when Oliver Square first opened?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    In all its latter iterations...Hull's, Champions, etc...it has always retained a Safeway-like feel.
    I guess it depends what one means by a "Safeway-like feel", but I've found that most of the Safeways-turned-something-else generally carried on a Safeway vibe. Something about the layout, the sounds, I dunno.

^^^

Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

I'm guessing that Safeway pulled out of there when Oliver Square first opened?
    Sometime around that time, It also vacated the sites on 124th and 102nd Ave (MEC) and 124th and Kingsway at the same time as they had to vacate various sites around the city due to some sort of competition ruling due to Safeway having the lions share of the grocery market.

Ran across the pic and I thought it was rather cool. TD is still there which is pretty neat in it's self. Don't see those annoying old codgers from the commercials loitering about though...LOL They may be lurking in the parked MG they would have been young enough back then...HA HA HA.,
    Last edited by NielCole; 21-02-2011 at 11:14 AM.

First One is Always Free

Default Oliver Safeway

I still remember the origanal Crosstown Motors was located on that site. I used to live on 102 Ave x 117 st. My brother and I were absolutely car crazy and we often went to various dealerships collecting dealer brochures,Mom would toss them out as fast as we collected them. If only we knew what those brochures are now worth, we would be fairly wealthy men. When my brother restored his 69 Chrysler 300 he bought a brochure for it. He paid $40 for it and that was 20 years ago. I remember Crosstown because they brought in their Turbine Car for a promotion. I remember thinking that was one of the nicest looking cars I had ever laid eyes on. This would have been back in 64 the dawn of the muscle car era. Nirvana for car freaks

Partially Addicted to C2E

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne K View Post
    Well Hi!
    I finally read through all 12 pages of this thread - laughed a lot and blubbered a bit too!

Here's what I remember (and don't...)

Fullers Restaurants and those gawdawful pink booths
    Uncle Nickys
    Baw baw baw baw chicken mannnnn
    Peanutty Koogle with the koo koo koogley eyes (Banana was my fav)
    ATV'ing in Terwilliger - big mud hole with great hills back then
    Drinking (etc) at Twin Bridges
    Meeting Anson Williams in person (woo) at taping of some interview show at ITV - Alan Thicke maybe...mid 70's...
    the band Privilege - singer Mel Deegan great music
    Pepchews and Molly-O chocolate bars
    Brown Cows at the Dub
    Scona Pool Hall
    Burger Baron Pizza Burger or Great Canadian at KFC Burger King on 99th
    Barb & Ernies - OMG Pancakes - are they still there 91st or 99th?
    ...seems to be on a food theme happening here...
    Baaco Pizza - pretty good
    Royal Pizza on 104th south - the BEST pizza ever. Still. To this day.
    Medium #11 at "BP"
    little wee Soap Gums (that stuck like hell to your teeth) and Thrills Gum
    Woodwards - anything - I still miss that place. Great store - awesome staff - what a waste.
    Zumburger at Southgate- I saw that mentioned in the thread - hit a spot just can't remember - was that the restaurant in the middle of the mall - 50's style? What was the great deli in the mall - down by...the library I think - great desserts I remember. enough food
    Omar Khayam lounge - CI South
    The Park Hotel (probably shouldn't admit that I drank there...)
    CI South, Yellowhead, the Cap, the Riv,
    Funland Arcade - rings a bell - wasn't there some sort of scam story -mid 70's?
    Coke - early 70's - didn't they come out with a 19oz bottle? didn't last long - probably replaced by the one litre??? I have googled - no luck..anyone else remember this?
    MacCauley Plaza - remember it being underground? Is it still there?
    The great Xmas windows displays at Eatons with all the mice.

Wow - I've rambled. Better stop. I hope someone reads this and smiles at a memory or two...

THANK YOU for all those memories yourself and everyone!
    If the risk is little, the reward is little.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcharlesmillar View Post
    My brother and I were absolutely car crazy and we often went to various dealerships collecting dealer brochures,Mom would toss them out as fast as we collected them. If only we knew what those brochures are now worth, we would be fairly wealthy men. When my brother restored his 69 Chrysler 300 he bought a brochure for it. He paid $40 for it and that was 20 years ago.
    That's a great recollection! I used to collect car brochures as well when I was a child that elicited a similar maternal response.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

once saw a photo of the now earls on 119 street as a car dealership (devonian ??) with a lineup of Triumph TR4's out front
    Would love to have that image
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

First One is Always Free

Yes I remember that dealership, my dad and I took a spin in a then new Triumph Herald, these cars had terrible electrical systems. I remember my dad barely fit into the drivers seat and poor me even at age 12 was squished into the back seat. Needless to say dad did not by the Triumph but did go home with a salmon pink and white 58 Pontiac Strato Chief from the dealers used car lot.

Does anyone remember the name of the dining lounge/restaurant on approx 105 ave. and 96 street that was originally a church? I know it became Danny Hoopers Stockyard but we are trying to remember what it was called before he took it over. Thanks.

First One is Always Free

Default Memories

...oh how the memories flood back as i read this posts!! Bless you all!!
    -walking through Woodward's Westmount, from the north end department store towards the food floor. The bakery was on the right side, and smelled divine! The bismarcks and jelly donuts were incredible.
    -fries and gravy at Kresges lunch counter, with a Tahiti Treat to drink!
    -going to Aladdin's Palace arcade at Kingsway with a pocket full of quarters and playing for hours!!
    -playing with the table top juke boxes at the old bus depot!!

Some of you might laugh at this, and I get a few jibes from my daughters now and then about it, but I still have, and wear, a sport jacket I bought at Woodwards when they had just opened at WEM. OMG!
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Snack bar at the downtown Zellers. Hot dogs with the New England style buns, buttered and toasted. Yummy!

I just have to vent - why is south Edmonton referred to as NW on google maps, 411 ca,etc etc? Last time I checked 45th Avenue and 106 Street was South Edmonton. Not according to any map you can get on-line. What am I missing? I haven't lived there in a long time - did they move it?

^ The NW is part of the mailing address. I live near Bonnie Doon but there is a NW after the address on my mail.

When the streets were numbered way back when, the thought was that 100 blocks would be more than enough room so the center of town was numbered 101 & 101 (Jasper). When the city expanded to the south they essentially ran out of numbers. A number of ideas were tossed around, including adding 1000 to all addresses (12345 - 67 street would have become 112345 - 1067 st for example). It was decided that simple going to a quadrant system and making the existing city NW with the new origin at 1 st and 1 ave. South of that and the avenue would be South. East of there and the Street would be East, hence an intersection would be listed as SE.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    A number of ideas were tossed around, including adding 1000 to all addresses (12345 - 67 street would have become 112345 - 1067 st for example).
    On that note......

I remember when my grand parents would refer to 109th street simply as 9th street. The always dropped the "one-oh" or "hundred and...". Second, twelveth, nineth, whatever the number.

I'm sure there still are old-timers that continue this practice?

I wouldn't exactly call myself an old-timer but you young whippersnappers may...

Back in 1978 I was working for the Commonwealth Games and had arraigned to meet my boss, recently arrived from Ontario to meet at First and Jasper for a lunch meeting. She never showed so, after having a nosh, I headed back to work. Two hours later she was back at the headquarters building, boiling mad. She had driven out to Refinery Row looking for First and Jasper. After we explained the situation she had a laugh but was still confused why we'd drop the "Hundred and" from the street names.

I remember when all Edmonton telephone numbers began with a 4, and if you dialed a number without the first 4 the call would connect.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by soycd View Post
    A number of ideas were tossed around, including adding 1000 to all addresses (12345 - 67 street would have become 112345 - 1067 st for example).
    On that note......

I remember when my grand parents would refer to 109th street simply as 9th street. The always dropped the "one-oh" or "hundred and...". Second, twelveth, nineth, whatever the number.

I'm sure there still are old-timers that continue this practice?
    This old-timer does and I'm not even 50 yet...

^This old-timer is 70 and I still say it all the time. I came to Edmonton (Population: 235,000)in 1960 to attend U of A: Edmonton boundaries were 149 St. (J.P. amalgamated 1964), 50 St. (Beverly amalgamated 1961), 132 Ave. north, and the Riviera Hotel marked the southern most point. There was no need for the One Hundred and....... back then. Now it causes problems.

I've just discovered this site, It's cool with all the old memories flooding back. I've lived in the North end all my life and have seen Castledowns go from open country to older neighborhoods. Speedway Park, watching the can am races by laying under semi's parked at the west end of the track placed there to try and block the view. Twin Drive-in's. Riding bicycles north on 113A St till you came to a farm. Or north on 127 St making sure you were going as fast as you could around 170 Ave (It's now 167 Ave) since a dog that lived there used to come running out chasing you nipping at your feet. We lived close to the flight path of planes and we'd try and get extra string for our kites to get them as high as possible.

First One is Always Free

My paremts used to manage the apartment blocks on 118 Ave X 127 st, the name of the apartments escapes me at the moment. I remember hearing the drag racers at speedway. Need 4 speed must have lived fairly close by to me

Not far away, north of the tracks though. Used to catch the R3 to the Town Cinema Saturday afternoons. N5 was the closer bus route to us.

First One is Always Free

=Those bus numbers appear to be out of the 70s after my time. The buses I used were the #5 which I caught on 118 Ave X124 st. I was involved in air cadets back in the mid 60s (504 sqn) which were housed in the 700 wing building across from the airport. My dad was career military so we moved about quite a bit until dad retired.

We were probably at 700 Wing at the same time. We used to go there all the time. Learned to swim at the outdoor pool which was later made into an indoor one.

And on the subject of old bus numbers, N13 for me.

^ Was at 700 Wing for Battle of Britain parades many times in the late 70s. (Yes, another former Air Cadet.)

It's now the conference center for the Chateau Louis right?

504 Squadron in the mid 70's for me.

We were probably at 700 Wing at the same time. We used to go there all the time. Learned to swim at the outdoor pool which was later made into an indoor one.

And on the subject of old bus numbers, N13 for me.

Taught swimming at the indoor pool there. in the 70's

504 Squadron in the mid 70's for me.
    12 Edmonton for me. I understand they're now in Sherwood Park.

First One is Always Free

I stumbled onto this thread on a Google search for Graeme Chester, one of my Westmount Junior High teachers.
    What a great bunch of memories reading through the various posts
    I hope it keeps going.

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    ^ Was at 700 Wing for Battle of Britain parades many times in the late 70s. (Yes, another former Air Cadet.)

It's now the conference center for the Chateau Louis right?
    Yep and the Sabre Jet in now in the Alberta Aviation Museum

12 Squadron is now in Sherwood Park and supported by 700 Wing which in now in the museum building.

504 Squadron is still strong and meets at the Aviation Museum (2) week

Tom
    (Another old aircadet and I instructed at 395 and 504)

Tom, were you with 504 during the Bob Creebo <sp?> days?

Can't swear to it but it rings a bell

When I was instructing I think the CO was Andrus???...never was a Cadet in 504.

Me it was Whitehorse, Chilliwack, Comox.

First One is Always Free

I was in the cadet program from 1966-68 the C.O was a former RAF pilot by the name of Squadron Leader Alvin C Tuttle, he was everybody's idea of a British fighter pilot ram rod straight, handlebar mustache of coarse a very refined British accent. I think he was reliving his youth in the cadets. He loved to show WWII movies British and RAF of coarse. We had movie night once a month. I swear to this day I can recite the movie The Dambusters line for line. I was in the honour guard when they commemorated the Sabre and I have fond memories of been in the honour guard during Rememberance day ceremonies

First One is Always Free

I ran the name of an old friend on Google and came across this forum.

My name is Bob Walker. I was born in Edmonton and grew up in St. Albert in the 50s and 60s. I was in Air Cadet Squadron 533 and played bugle in the band for two years. I was a professional musician for 11 years and played in several local bands including the Warp Factor and the Privilege with Mel Degen. You can check out www.walker-entertainment.com to see who I was back then.

There weren't may late night eateries in the 60s and of our favorites after gigs or acid trips was The Grinder on 109 St just south of the High Level bridge and across from the Garneau.

In grade 10 one of my good friends was a guy name Leonard Lock. Leonard had grown up in JP and for two years he told me stories about the tough guys he knew. One of them was a guy named Eddie Crowbell who was the toughest guy around. I never believed any of it but I humored him and they were always good stories.

On a Friday in May, 1967 I did my very first gig with the Warp Factor at the Forum, which was on Stony Plain Road just west of 142 St by then. During the first break I went into the restroom to pee and there was only a sink and a toilet and no lock on the door. As I was in the toilet stall with my back to the room someone came in behind me and I could hear him pissing in the sink. I finished up and tried to get by him but he held out his arm to block my exit.

"What did you see?" he asked in a menacing tone. I was scared sh*tless and afraid that this was leading to a beating regardless of what I said but I wasn't going to wimp out right away and replied "Nothing". He asked again even more menacingly; "What did you see?" This time I literally shouted "F**k all" in a shaky voice. Then he grabbed my shoulder and drew his other arm back as if to hit me and then blurted out "Who's the toughest guy in JP?" I figured that I had nothing to lose at this point and since it was the only name that came to mind with that stimulus I said "Eddie Crowbell." He dropped his left arm from my shoulder and stuck out the right hand that seconds before was going to pulverize my face while he exuberantly exclaimed "That's me...put it here." He proceeded to do some shadow boxing in the small restroom while talking about how tough he was and then said "If any of those guys out there ever give you any hassle you tell them that you know Eddie Crowbell and watch them run." I went out to play the second set and I never saw him or heard anything about him again.

later.............

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by cmcharlesmillar View Post
    My paremts used to manage the apartment blocks on 118 Ave X 127 st, the name of the apartments escapes me at the moment. I remember hearing the drag racers at speedway. Need 4 speed must have lived fairly close by to me
    We had a band house on 127 St in the70s that was right across the street from the NE corner of Speedway.

Default Happy Pop in Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    ]
    OMG Shakeys and their pizza was legendary!!!!! All you can eat, and I took advantage of that. I think it was where the current BP's is now...how approriate.

There was good old Happy Pop nearby too! (or was that pop shoppe???)
    I just wrote a blog post on Happy Pop! I was looking for photos of the old bottles, and couldn't find any; and then this fellow from the US sent me some:

http://justinjackson.ca/if-youre-fro...appy-pop-soda/

I remember the days of Beaver Lumber, Video Station, Bi-Way, IGA and the old WARP 1 location in the Strathcona area. I also remember Comic Castle, Scona Billiards, Grabba Java, Albert's Family Restaraunt and the Ranford Hotel on Whyte. I remember watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at the Princess theater. I remember the Ed-Tel museum on Whyte which was free for kids and they had a theater showing a history of phones with a talking robot coming out of the wall. I remember the AGT building before it became Telus. That's when all the privatization happened under Klein I believe. Lot's of change in that period. I also remember when bus fare was 75 cents for kids, late 80's/early 90's. I also remember the high unemployment during that time and the cheap housing everywhere.

Yea, me and my friends were rascals in those days always trying to find trouble. That was before computers, high tech gadgets and fancy video games became cheap and affordable. If you ever saw kids stick fighting, playing tag in other people's yards and climbing roofs, that was probably us, lol. Good times.

Jeremy
    Last edited by alieno1; 07-07-2011 at 06:55 PM.

You're a bit after my time. 25 cents for an adult fare or 15 cents for a child. You could get two tickets for a quarter. That was back when bus drivers gave change.

Got my drivers license at the highways building down near the legislature. That was back before project uni when the High level bridge, the 105 St Bridge and Queen Elizabeth Road all had two way traffic. There was also a traffic circle at the north end of the 105 St Bridge.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Slurpee's were 5,10 and 25 cents respectfully.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Oh sheesh, Slurpees. I must have been one of the last kids my age to try them. After having my first taste I thought "This is the best thing ever " before experiencing my first brain freeze , LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed59 View Post
    Oh sheesh, Slurpees. I must have been one of the last kids my age to try them. After having my first taste I thought "This is the best thing ever " before experiencing my first brain freeze , LOL
    And on that note.....
    http://accesswinnipeg.com/2011/07/ma...-of-the-world/

Default educated people doing uneducated things

i remember when university of alberta students took pride in their education, only to riot in the streets on canada day.

Default Ciro's

I'm glad somebody mentioned Ciro's, we were in grade 6 or 7, used to hop a bus and go to shows at the Capitol or Rialto then to Ciro's for a rum freeze. Those were the days alright.

Well I am only 20 so my memories are pretty recent

- When Mill Woods /Edmonton ended on Ellerslie Road
    -When south common was not there
    -when it was just superstore and walmart, home depot, staples.
    -when heritage mall was cool and had the cool small toilets for kids
    - when the buses were the old, orange seat ones
    -when it was 3$ for 2 people for the bus

So many more <3
    Amy, Living in Mill Woods Edmonton for 2O years and counting and wouldn't change a thing <3 My home!

The old cars on bourbon street. Anyone have a picture of those?

Quote Originally Posted by blibbertibs View Post
    The old cars on bourbon street. Anyone have a picture of those?
    And Westmount Mall food court.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    I remember when stores would decorate the front of their buildings during Klondike Days. Now it's just another day to come into our stores and buy something. BORING
    I remember when edmonton telephone numbers were a lettered prefix...eg GE (Geneva) HO(Home) GA(Garden)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Need4Speed59 View Post
    You're a bit after my time. 25 cents for an adult fare or 15 cents for a child. You could get two tickets for a quarter. That was back when bus drivers gave change.

Got my drivers license at the highways building down near the legislature. That was back before project uni when the High level bridge, the 105 St Bridge and Queen Elizabeth Road all had two way traffic. There was also a traffic circle at the north end of the 105 St Bridge.
    I remember the Seven Seas Restaurant

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie52 View Post
    Does anyone remember the name of the dining lounge/restaurant on approx 105 ave. and 96 street that was originally a church? I know it became Danny Hoopers Stockyard but we are trying to remember what it was called before he took it over. Thanks.
    I think it was the Great Escape

I remember when ETS routes had a letter at the start of the route number to tell you what part of the city they went to: N13 - North, S4 - South. There were also 4 ring routes, actually two routes with each direction having a different number R3, R4

I remember when ETS routes had a letter at the start of the route number to tell you what part of the city they went to: N13 - North, S4 - South. There were also 4 ring routes, actually two routes with each direction having a different number R3, R4
    At that time you could wait for these buses on a dark green bench that said, "Rest and Read the Journal"

Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    I remember when gas was .35 cents a litre--and when it went up to .40 thinking it was time to park the car!

I remember when a nice person would come out and pump from the bowser for you and ask if you wanted your oil checked. (I always did because it was the only way it ever was checked.)

I remember when Manulife II had shops in it. Dania Down Quilts is one that springs to mind. There used to be the best place for baklava and Turkish pizza in the food court in ML II.

I remember coming from the south side up any hill and seeing cranes everywhere. (Oh wait this view is back, yeah!)

I remember when the Edmonton Bay building actually had a Hudsons Bay Store in it.

I remember when driving out to the International Airport seemed to take forever and the highlight was the grain elevator at Ellerslie with the quote John 3:16 “for God so loved the World that he gave his only begotten Son.” I miss that grain elevator.

I remember when the Rat Hole was a dark and wet way to traverse 109 Street—it was unique and a hoot to drive though.

I remember when travelling and mentioning that I was from Edmonton (…Alberta…Canada) drew blank stares and then the question how close to Toronto, Vancouver etc. inevitably followed. WEM helped change that and the World Games and the Masters and the Grand Prix…and the fact that Edmonton truly is the best city, in the best province in the best country in the world.

Thanks Bill, I remember when you used to say this and it rang hollow—no more. Edmonton truly is a first class city and I wonder what people will say twenty years from now—what will they remember…how will Edmonton circa 2006 be remembered as?

Any one remember the Rainbow Ball room on Whyte Ave?

I remember when A M radio stations actually had on-air personalities that actually had a personality i.e. Chuck Chandler/Len Thuessen/Wes Montgomery/Bill Matheson/Bill Jackson/ Ron Collister/Gord Whitehead/Bill Coull etc etc.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by soycd View Post
    ...At that time you could wait for these buses on a dark green bench that said, "Rest and Read the Journal"
    I forgotten about those, thanks soycd. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    I remember when A M radio stations actually had on-air personalities that actually had a personality i.e. Chuck Chandler/Len Thuessen/Wes Montgomery/Bill Matheson/Bill Jackson/ Ron Collister/Gord Whitehead/Bill Coull etc etc.
    Yes indeed. Long gone are the days of real radio.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Real radio is as strong as ever on CKUA.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    I stand corrected sir!

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    I stand corrected sir!
    That's why I included Bill Coull in my list.

[QUOTE=Rangerider;396336]
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    I remember when driving out to the International Airport seemed to take forever and the highlight was the grain elevator at Ellerslie with the quote John 3:16 “for God so loved the World that he gave his only begotten Son.” I miss that grain elevator.
    I sorta miss that grain elevator as well, though as a teenager I'm sure I wanted it gone. It made anyone coming in from the airport think we were a bunch of bible-thumping hayseeds, but what the hell. It was local colour.

Default Does anyone remember?

Does anyone remember what the name of the bar on Argyll and 75st was in the 1970s /1980s? It's driving me nuts that I can't remember!

Rusty's ?

I remember when entertainment news shows such as Entertainment Tonight were actually about upcoming music, TV shows and movies, and not about celebrity gossip.

^^^ ...and MTV and MuchMusic actually played music videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Wnickel5 View Post
    Does anyone remember what the name of the bar on Argyll and 75st was in the 1970s /1980s? It's driving me nuts that I can't remember!
    was it Goose Looney's

Quote Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wnickel5 View Post
    was it Goose Looney's
    DING DING DING...We have a winner

that's right, Rusty's offered up the other kind of "goose"

Goose Looneys was on Argyll and 99st. It is now the Union Hall. Before that was the Thunderdome.

Blueline had it right. Rusty's strip club was on Argyll and 75 street at the old Metro Hotel.

I remember having been at Goose Looney's a couple of times years and years ago.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Yep way back when, There were only 4 really cool clubs in town, Goose Looneys, Flashback on 104th st for the ultra trendy/gay crowd. The one in the basement of the former Sheraton-Caravan Hotel (Now the Holiday Inn Express)

I can't remember it's name.....age I tell you!!!! on 104thstreet and 100 Ave.

And the one in the "fake train station building" that is still there across from the former Derrick Dodge dealership originally called Barry ......Something.

God that was such a fun decade in the 80's People from Calgary and Vancouver would come to Flash (The original one not the copy cat now) Because it was the hippest club in Western Canada.

I remember meeting people from New York while working there... amazed that Edmonton had a club like that it even made them envious.

Barry Ts.

Reminds me of those days in the late 80s and the 90s when bar-hopping meant driving from one end of town to another.

Barry Ts.

Reminds me of those days in the late 80s and the 90s when bar-hopping meant driving from one end of town to another.
    Thanks my brain was dead....And yes back then we were all "guilty" getting into the car totally wasted to drive across town to party and drink at another bar. But for me it was the "early 80's"

Do you remember what the club in the basement of Sheraton-Caravan was called......This is going to drive me crazy all night! It was all "New Wave" music and each table had a phone you could call the other table at. Sooooo pre cell-phone it was almost primitive. LOL....

Ding! Thank god for Wikipedia...The Sheraton-Caravan's 70's/80's club was Scandals! Thank god now I won't have problems trying to fall asleep.

Prior to it being called Rusty's the bar at 75th and Argyll was simply known as the Regency bar.
    In the 70's most bars didn't have a name, they were just known by the name of the hotel they were in.
    Growing up on the south east side back in the day, the local bars were the Rex, the Cap, the Highwayman and the Regency.
    They alll had loud bars and quiet bars.
    My favorite was the Rex. The loud bar there had great bands, usually harder rocking than the others. The Rex also had two quiet bars, the orange room and the red room, as well as a lounge with live entertainment.
    The orange room was usually full of young guys just getting loaded while the Red Room was for the older chronics.
    The Cap (Capilano Hotel) usually didn't feature live music in the bar but on weekends had Cabarets with some pretty good bands.
    The Highwayman (Highway Motor Inn) was a country bar but also had weekend Cabarets with great live bands.
    The Regency on 75th and Argyll never seemed to have its' act together, they would occasionally have country bands and other times no entertainment at all. (pre Rusty's)

Oh the memories!

Remember The Ambassador on 105st? Otherwise known as the Ambo and featured a lot of punk bands.

^^Thanks Ralph, it was the Regency Hotel that had Rusty's.

The Cap Hotel later named their bar Glory Days. Now it is King's College.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 03-11-2011 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Yep way back when, There were only 4 really cool clubs in town, Goose Looneys, Flashback on 104th st for the ultra trendy/gay crowd. The one in the basement of the former Sheraton-Caravan Hotel (Now the Holiday Inn Express)

I can't remember it's name.....age I tell you!!!! on 104thstreet and 100 Ave.

And the one in the "fake train station building" that is still there across from the former Derrick Dodge dealership originally called Barry ......Something.

God that was such a fun decade in the 80's People from Calgary and Vancouver would come to Flash (The original one not the copy cat now) Because it was the hippest club in Western Canada.

I remember meeting people from New York while working there... amazed that Edmonton had a club like that it even made them envious.

Halloween at Flash... priceless!
    [email protected][email protected]: the 5th Horseman of the Apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Oh the memories!

Remember The Ambassador on 105st? Otherwise known as the Ambo and featured a lot of punk bands.
    I saw the Cowboy Junkies play there before they became big. Mid 80s some time.

re: The Cap, I grew up down the road from there. It always struck me as a rather depressing place to have a hotel. I really like the general aesthetics of Refinery Row, but I think it's most suitable for industrial developments. King's College actually seemed a lot cooler back when they were in their old location. Say what you will about the inner-city, it's got a bit more character than the suburban outskirts.

Was it the Cap that had the restaurant known as the Roughneck? Or was that somewhere else in the area?
    Last edited by overoceans; 03-11-2011 at 09:10 AM.

There is still a Roughneck Restaurant on 50 st. south of 76 ave.
    To be honest I never spent much time in the restaurants, just the bars!
    The bar in the Ambassador was absolutely fantastic, they had Blues acts before they had punk bands but I used to go to both.
    The Ambassador sort of took over from the Corona as the biker/hooker/whatever bar downtown. It was a guaranteed interesting night anytime you went there!

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post
    Prior to it being called Rusty's the bar at 75th and Argyll was simply known as the Regency bar.
    In the 70's most bars didn't have a name, they were just known by the name of the hotel they were in.
    Growing up on the south east side back in the day, the local bars were the Rex, the Cap, the Highwayman and the Regency.
    They alll had loud bars and quiet bars.
    My favorite was the Rex. The loud bar there had great bands, usually harder rocking than the others. The Rex also had two quiet bars, the orange room and the red room, as well as a lounge with live entertainment.
    The orange room was usually full of young guys just getting loaded while the Red Room was for the older chronics.
    The Cap (Capilano Hotel) usually didn't feature live music in the bar but on weekends had Cabarets with some pretty good bands.
    The Highwayman (Highway Motor Inn) was a country bar but also had weekend Cabarets with great live bands.
    The Regency on 75th and Argyll never seemed to have its' act together, they would occasionally have country bands and other times no entertainment at all. (pre Rusty's)
    Don't forget - there was also the C.I. South and the C.I. West.

/\ There were others as well, The Lucky Lady at the Crest, the Londonderry and there was a bar in the basement of the hotel on 105 street north of Jasper downtown that had good bands for a while.
    In the early 80's the best room in town was The Rock Room at the Riviera. I saw Split Enz and Joe Cocker there as well as a whole bunch of great bands that I really can't remember.

First One is Always Free

A little change of subject but does anyone remember a restaurant in Edmonton that looked like a house off the flintstones??? I remember as a little kid in the back seat driving by and thinking it was the coolest thing i had ever seen. I think it might have been called "The Cave" Where was it located?? This would have been in the early seventies if I remember correct.

The Cave was on 118 avenue and about 66St. It dated from the mid-late 60s.

First One is Always Free

The Cave was on 118 avenue and about 66St. It dated from the mid-late 60s.
    Thank you. Was it just a casual burger joint thing?

In the early 80's the best room in town was The Rock Room at the Riviera. I saw Split Enz and Joe Cocker there as well as a whole bunch of great bands that I really can't remember.
    HA...the Riv Rock Room! Good memories from what I can remember. I think it was there where I saw the Kings. Their catalogue was short and they must have played Switchin' to Glide/This Beat Goes On about 4 times that night.

I used to have a recording (wife had me toss all my 8-tracks about 8 years ago) of the Battered Wives from the Riv Rock Room. They were known for the, Uganda Stomp.

Heart also played + got a major signing deal with a US record company while at the Riv

Back when there was only two fast food locations chains in this city our local Burger King/ Kentucky Fried Chicken Drive throughs and a chain where is was sooooo cool to get served and eat in your parents car.

They played this on the radio ie (in the car before there was anything else to listen to) and there were TV ads the song always got stuck kids heads way back then.
    http://www.radiowest.ca/sound/a&w.mp3

I remember we only got to go to the one on the Calgary Trail just north of 53 Avenue when that was the edge of town. The one on 109th street was always passed by after Christmas shopping downtown we NEVER got to go to that one. The one on Stony Plain Road was a rare trip too.
    Last edited by NielCole; 27-01-2012 at 01:49 AM.

^ Ha Ha! That sounds like a cross between the Eskimos fight song and the Hippopotamus jingle.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast