Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,500 of 1672

Thread: I remember when...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neumanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    The Journal had a summer treasure hunting contest that ran for a few years. Something was hidden somewhere in Edmonton and clues were published every week. The clues were mostly drawings but I think there were also text clues as well. Can't remember what the treasures were but they must have been worth looking for.
    Clues were published every day until the treasure was found. Many many red herrings in the pictures to throw people off the scent. Two final locations were the pond at Rundle Park and the Riverdale skating rink. I remember those because in both cases by father and I guessed the locations for each.

I think it's time to delve into the archives to pull the clues (which I think were drawn by Yardley Jones) and the article that always ran at the end of the contest explaining each clue.
    That would have been 1982-83. I remember that vividly, good times.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The treasures were $5,000.00 in gold. But of course they couldn't put the actual gold at the location because someone could just find that and just walk off with no winner being published by the Journal.

I'd rather C2E than work!

'82/’83? Wow, I'd have thought much later than that - or time is flying by way more quickly than I'd like.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ When I was working in the Cobogo lofts building (it was a warehouse back then for the Army & Navy Department store) I'd bring in the Journal (when it was real broad sheet paper) with my coffee and that was one of the first things we did was to check the treasure hunt section. I can't recall what section of the paper but yes it would have been 1982-83.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    The Journal had a summer treasure hunting contest that ran for a few years. Something was hidden somewhere in Edmonton and clues were published every week. The clues were mostly drawings but I think there were also text clues as well. Can't remember what the treasures were but they must have been worth looking for.
    Clues were published every day until the treasure was found. Many many red herrings in the pictures to throw people off the scent. Two final locations were the pond at Rundle Park and the Riverdale skating rink. I remember those because in both cases by father and I guessed the locations for each.

I think it's time to delve into the archives to pull the clues (which I think were drawn by Yardley Jones) and the article that always ran at the end of the contest explaining each clue.
    That would have been 1982-83. I remember that vividly, good times.
    I recall those quite vividly as well, and I think each series had a different artist.

The first series was the best, with artwork(pretty sure NOT Yardley Jones) containing symbolic and cryptic references to various people, places, and things in Edmonton, past and present(one that stands out in my mind featured Father Lacombe and someone supposed to represent First Nations people; maybe referencing the Chateau Lacombe?)

The subsequent ones were less creative, featuring direct representations of the things they were referencing(eg. St. Barbara's Church on 96 Street). I also recall that the second contest was won by a brother-in-law of the Journal publisher, and that the one after that went on the longest.

I agree, it would be cool if someone could dig the cartoons out of the Journal archives and post them.

(I might have mentioned some of this earlier, but what the hey. It's a long thread.)

The reason I thought it was weekly was that I recall the clues being part of the colour comics and not the daily paper. Google News Archives only has the July 2nd to 8th editions for all of 1982 and I didn't see anything in those editions. The colour comics weren't included in the July 3rd archive.

The reason I thought it was weekly was that I recall the clues being part of the colour comics and not the daily paper. Google News Archives only has the July 2nd to 8th editions for all of 1982 and I didn't see anything in those editions. The colour comics weren't included in the July 3rd archive.
    No, I'm pretty sure that they were part of the newspaper proper, and that they were run every day.

Interestingly, the Journal itself gets the history wrong...

Smalian recalls one of the more flamboyant promotions, the Great Journal Gold Rush that The Journal ran starting in 1986, that had hundreds of Edmontonians searching parks for a voucher worth $5,000 in gold wafers after reading clues salted in cartoons run in the paper. "

I know for a fact that the first Gold Rush was way before 1986, because I remember searching for the prize with a friend of mine who moved away in '83.

link

The cartoon clues were on the front page beside the index and Herman comic strip.

First One is Always Free

11 has now moved to the traffic island between Terrace Road an 98 Av, not far from the previous location. As I understand it, this was to allow engines to make pull-through moves.

There has been talk of the Capilano Library moving out of the 2nd floor of Capilano Mall to a new building on the site of the previous station 11, but this keeps being put off.
    Oh I know where 11 is...spend quite a bit of time there lol
    Greatest City in the world.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Does anyone remember when Meadowlark mall had a movie theatre? That's where my girlfriend and I went to see Aliens the first of the trilogy there.

I remember ITV showed Gorilla At Large some time in the early 80s, and it was hyped up as a big deal that there was going to be a 3D movie on TV. The station distributed 3D glasses for the occassion.

After the screening, there were complaints that the glasses did not work properly, and you had to turn them inside-out to get the effect. I think I only watched about five minutes of it, recorded on a VCR.

Does anyone remember when Meadowlark mall had a movie theatre? That's where my girlfriend and I went to see Aliens the first of the trilogy there.
    Slight correction. The first film of the series was called "Alien", not "Aliens".

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I was working from memory not Wiki.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to be anal-retentive or anything. I shoulda prefaced it with "Pedant Alert".

And, for the record, I actually double-checked myself whether the singular or the plural title was first in the series.

C2E Posting Power

[QUOTE=envaneo;616518]Does anyone remember when Meadowlark mall had a movie theatre? That's where my girlfriend and I went to see Aliens the first of the trilogy there.[/QP

Pretty sure you are referring to "Centennial Mall"'s movie theatre - don't think Meadowlark had a theatre - saw a ton of bad early 80's movies at Centennial, ie, Canonball Run 1 and 2

Nope, the old Meadowlark Cinerama.

The Meadowlark Theatre was opened in 1969 by the National General chain at the Meadowlark Shopping Centre. The 778-seat single-screen house was used for Cinerama presentations for its first year.

Canadian Theatres took over the Meadowlark in 1974, followed by Odeon on 1978 and then Cineplex Odeon in 1984. The Meadowlark closed in 1990 and was demolished in 1992.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/40468

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There are some photo links in the comments section, from the link above showing the Meadowlark theatre at various stages of demolition.

I remember the time when they would run the big old snowblowers down the back lanes blowing the snow over the fences into backyards. (Kids would throw snow balls at them and the odd one would fall into the augers.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect View Post
    Wow, this is absolutely amazing! I've been looking for a place where people share memories of Edmonton and really hit the jackpot when I found this fantastic site. I've been spending a few hours reading some of the posts here and I'm literally stunned by what I've found! There are people here that went to the same school at the same time I did and have the same memories, cbcharlesmillar being just one. He mentioned going to Norwood Elementary and having Mr.Bosch as his Grade 4 teacher - so did I! This just blows me away - could you have been in his class with me? Mr.Bosch was a great guy and a wonderful teacher, someone I'll remember as long as I live.

I lived in Edmonton from 1956 to 1974 when we moved to BC, but I've really always been an Edmontonian at heart. We were literally buried in snow that winter and I vowed never again. To this day, in some ways I regret that decision, but that's life.

We lived in Norwood at first, in a tiny white house - now long gone - at 11532-92nd street. I have incredibly fond memories of my childhood there, and what really stands out is how friendly the people there were, especially the kids. It was a pretty diverse neighbourhood, with lots of European immigrants, including us. We came to Canada from the Netherlands in the Spring of '56 when I was still an ankle-biter. One neighbour a few doors down from us was a black family by the name of Jones whose youngest son Mickey was my best friend. I never gave the fact that he was black a thought until I was a few years older and the race riots in the States started happening and I don't anyone else did either. There was another kid across the street from us that was confined to a wheelchair because of serious congenital spinal problems, but that didn't stop the rest of us kids from befriending him. I'm still amazed how innocent kids were at the time, and a lot of adults as well.

I've noticed some other folks here have memories of the old Stop 'N Shop on 115 Ave and 92 St. We loved going there for penny candy ( remember the little black licorice ones we used to call nigger-babies without even thinking about what it meant? Oh my...) and ice-cream cones for a dime. Popsicles were 6 cents. That store's still there, now it's the 115 Ave. Supermarket. I'm not sure if it's still the original building though, my memory of it is a bit different.

In 1962 we moved to a new house in Rosslyn, on 104 St. and 133 Ave. just a couple of blocks from my new school, Scott Robertson Elementary. I remember the duck-and-cover air raid drills and the siren that was installed on a big pole near the corner of 134A Ave. and 105 St. My parents lived through WW2 in Europe and when that siren went off it scared the living daylights out of my Mom. I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis and how afraid I was that we would all be fried to a crisp in the nuclear war that everyone felt was just around the corner, not much fun when you're only 11 years old.

Another vivid memory I have is the day President Kennedy was assassinated. I was in my Grade 6 class when the principal came on the PA and told everyone what had happened and that school was being dismissed for the day. His name was Mr.Quail and his voice was cracking with emotion so we barely understood what he said. I remember my Mom was crying when I got home. An incredibly sad day.

I have lots of happy memories of growing up in a wonderful city. The old Edmonton will always be with us thanks to this great site. I'm hooked!
    Yeah, on times of the Kennedy assassination I remember the stress my parents and in later years my teachers showed in those times.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I remember the time when they would run the big old snowblowers down the back lanes blowing the snow over the fences into backyards. (Kids would throw snow balls at them and the odd one would fall into the augers.)
    LOL! The odd kid, or the odd snowball, would fall into the augers?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Anyone remember that little 30’s or 40’s style bungalow just east of the railway line on Ellerslie Road? It housed a radio station (CKUA, maybe?), and it had the cut-out letters perched on the roof.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Anyone remember that little 30’s or 40’s style bungalow just east of the railway line on Ellerslie Road? It housed a radio station (CKUA, maybe?), and it had the cut-out letters perched on the roof.
    No, sorry, but I do remember the Riche Bros Auctions hammer in or by Spruce Grove.

Anyone mention the overpass at 170th and Stony Plain Rd. (and why isn't it called Spruce Grove Rd?)
    Last edited by KC; 01-02-2015 at 08:36 AM.

Was it a flat roofed house, maybe pink at one time?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

No, sorry, but I do remember the Riche Bros Auctions hammer in or by Spruce Grove.

Anyone mention the overpass at 170th and Stony Plain Rd. (and why isn't it called Spruce Grove Rd?)
    maybe for the same reason highway 2 wasn't called red deer trail in both edmonton and calgary?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Yes, I think you're right on both counts. It was on the north side of Ellerslie set back behind some trees, and it had a sort of abandoned look about it. That might have been about 1983/84?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I remember the house that you caw coming up Connors Hill from the valley, which had a huge, very visible sign denouncing psychiatry. I believe the message said PSYCHIATRY KILLS, and later switched to PSYCHIATRY CREATES DRUG ADDICTS AND VIOLENCE.

Later still, the owner of the house put up pro-Scientology messages, which would explain his antipathy to psychiatry.

Speaking of the COS, I remember in the 80s, when they were located right in the heart of Old Strathcona, which must have been pretty prime business-space location.

Then, they moved to Oliver, just off Jasper, on 112th Street I believe. Not quite Old Strathcona, but still semi-respectable. I think they went through two different spaces there.

Then, about five years ago, they had moved to the Boyle Street area, not far from the Chinese gate. Obviously, a bit of a step down, but still at least central and in the swing of things.

Now, according to their webiste, they are at 103rd Avenue and 174th Street. Okay area, I'm sure, but probably pretty unsuited for the kind of "drop-in" clientele they want to come in and take the personality tests. And a pretty stark contrast to their days of rubbing shoulders with the Princess Theatre and Greenwoods Books.

Smile

It's because Stony Plain was the major town in that area and Spruce Grove hardly existed. I myself remember Spruce Grove having a population of 600 people when I was working around late sixties helping my older brother doing floors and stopping there for breakfast. There was the Hotel, restaurant, a few shops and a grain elevator that said Fuhr Farms, Fuhr Mercury, and a trailer factory. Stony Plain had 2000 but had way more businesses with a main street full of stores and was a busy place. Stony Plain was originally known as Dog Rump Creek. Good thing we didn't get Dog Rump Creek Rd. through the city. I'm thinking that was Mitchener Allan auctions or something not Ritchie Bros.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 02-02-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Yes, I think you're right on both counts. It was on the north side of Ellerslie set back behind some trees, and it had a sort of abandoned look about it. That might have been about 1983/84?
    For some reason I can't remember it but I sure do remember the grain elevator with the bible verse on it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Speaking of the COS, I remember in the 80s, when they were located right in the heart of Old Strathcona, which must have been pretty prime business-space location.

Then, they moved to Oliver, just off Jasper, on 112th Street I believe. Not quite Old Strathcona, but still semi-respectable. I think they went through two different spaces there.

Then, about five years ago, they had moved to the Boyle Street area, not far from the Chinese gate. Obviously, a bit of a step down, but still at least central and in the swing of things.

Now, according to their webiste, they are at 103rd Avenue and 174th Street. Okay area, I'm sure, but probably pretty unsuited for the kind of "drop-in" clientele they want to come in and take the personality tests. And a pretty stark contrast to their days of rubbing shoulders with the Princess Theatre and Greenwoods Books.
    Actually before that $cientology had their downtown headquarters in a old Victorian style building I think it was on 106th & 99th. it's a parking lot behind the Canadian Red Cross building. They had some retail space right on Jasper Ave across from The Bay for a bit. At that time they also had their Whyte Ave location near the Princess theatre you spoke of. They left that location in a building near the old Army & Navy across from the Law Courts building. It was that location where they had that big protest by anti $cientologists. I lost track of them after that. I took one of their "per$onality" tests as well but got out when I saw how much money they wanted for their stuff. My wife worked for their Heritage school doing some admin work in the 1990's.
    Last edited by envaneo; 02-02-2015 at 01:49 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Does anyone remember (or willing to admit) when Amway used to be in the Ramada hotel on Kingsway? Did anyone ever go to those BWW meetings?

Evaneo:

Just to clarify...

"Actually before that $cientology had their downtown headquarters in a old Victorian style building I think it was on 106th & 99th. it's a parking lot behind the Canadian Red Cross building."

When you say "before that", do you mean before their Whyte Avenue location?

"They left that location in a building near the old Army & Navy across from the Law Courts building. "

Is this the same location I was referencing in my Boyle Street recollection? Or did they have two stints in that neighbourhood? I remember them being around there about five years ago.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Evaneo:

Just to clarify...

"Actually before that $cientology had their downtown headquarters in a old Victorian style building I think it was on 106th & 99th. it's a parking lot behind the Canadian Red Cross building."

When you say "before that", do you mean before their Whyte Avenue location?

"They left that location in a building near the old Army & Navy across from the Law Courts building. "

Is this the same location I was referencing in my Boyle Street recollection? Or did they have two stints in that neighbourhood? I remember them being around there about five years ago.
    Their 99th ave location and Whyte ave was at the same time.

Yes.

Evaneo:

Thanks. I wasn't aware that the COS had two locations at the same time. Makes their eventual exile to what I assume is an industrial outskirts all the more depressing.

As for Amway, was that their actual headquarters, or just where they had their recruitment rallies?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I'm not 100% certain on that or maybe COS in 1980 had left their downtown location the same year. 1980 was a turbulent year for me. I had a friend at the time who was heavily into it dieanetics. I haven't seen Reg in years.

Amway just held their meetings at Ramada. At that time (2000) I'm thinking the Ramada was still called The Edmonton Inn. I'm Away from my computer to wiki that.
    Last edited by envaneo; 03-02-2015 at 09:34 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Actually, I enjoyed my experience in Amway but it was just too expensive. Too much going out not enough coming in. Our up line was in Calgary. That's where they would have their big rallies. It would depend on where your up line Diamond was. Some Amway orgs held them in Edmonton, like True North etc. I was in Brit.

Glorified pyramid scheme, all deemed legal because there's a product sold.

So you mean to tell me you never got rich with expensive cars, yachts, mansions and token trophy wife?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Sadly, no but I bought into the belief system that said all of that was possible. I'm Just descretly curious where they hold their weekly meetings these days. Personally speaking, I'd really recommend anyone to seriously avoid Amway or any of these multi level marketing screams.

Yeah, I don't wanna hijack an excellent thread but just had to throw that in.

Glad you eventually quit drinking their Kool-Aid.

Who was it had the TV commercials and the salesman had his dog Storm with him all the time. He would say his name then he would say "and this is my dog Storm" . Was it Westown Ford?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I hadn't seen my sponsor in about a decade. For all I know she could still be with them. Religion was a strong binding agent in my up line and an ongoing theme. There is a lot of Amway at the church level as well.

evaneo:

Did you have to read The Greatest Salesman In The World?

I had family involved in Amway for about a year in the 80s, so yes, I did actually get around to reading that one myself. I think I actually thought it was good.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I recall it being passed around on their reading list. The other thing about Amway was they said if you have friends or relatives etc that joined and then quit, disown them. Stay away from the Internet, its highly toxic to your goals. That was the culture at the time. The other book they were touting was "Rich Dad Poor Dad." Now whenever I hear this book being mention in my circles, that's a Amway red flag.

Stay away from the Internet, its highly toxic to your goals.
    I assume that the Amway website was exempt from the prohibition?

I don't recall my relatives being shunned by family or friends when they left Amway, but then, the people who got them into it weren't particularly close friends, so it probably wasn't something you'd really notice.

What I found most annoying about Amway(well, apart from the bizarre, cultish positive-thinking videos) was the parties they'd have you hold, where at first you pretend it's just a regular party, and then halfway through you tell everyone it's an Amway party, and they have to listen to a spiel about the company. I can't imagine doing that without feeling like I was huckstering my friends.

My parents got huckstered in that exact same way by neighbours back in the 70's.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^Yeah, the first clue now would been a white board on a stand in the living room. I see that and I pull out.

Thanks for the link

Amway was and probably still is very much cult like. Although some of the tapes were quite humorous. I was on welfare at the time I joined before I met my wife and my sponsor said I could make some cash just to get things going. The mantra at the time was STP, STP! (Show the plan.) I actually had a bit of a group going myself and some customers but I couldn't afford the books and tapes and go to all the rallies and seminars. When I couldn't afford the books and tapes my sponsor began to give me the cold shoulder. She made sure she sat with a bunch of people so I couldn't near by. When it came to our night owls (after the meeting get togethers usually at BP.) She wouldn't let me in her car to go to BP's. After about 2 weeks of that I just didn't show up and I let my membership expire.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

My parents got huckstered in that exact same way by neighbours back in the 70's.
    From what I gather Amway thrived in the 1970's.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the people I sponsored in my group and our cross line colleagues. I've lost contact with my sponsor and cross line colleagues from that time. I don't have anything against Amway. I remember in 1997 I went to Minneapolis for a Brit function and I had a great cheeseburger at Ruby Tuesdays in The Mall of America. I had some good times with Amway. However, things soured near the end. At that time I was just getting into another endeavor going on 14 years now with that, and my wife and I have been together ever since 2000. If I would have continued on with Amway, I have no doubt it would have compromised if not ended my marriage. I'd never go back to Amway now. Every now and then I wonder what became of my sponsor, the people I sponsored and the Thursday night group at the Ramada. I just thought this topic would be a good fit for the I remember thread.

My parents didn't join Amway, they just went to a neighbourhood party and bailed at the Amway part.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I don't recall my parents ever going to a Amway party either not that they would have told us. I knew nothing about Amway until about 1981. Reg got involved with Amway to help pay for his $cientology stuff. I think he was front and centre during that Anonymous $cientology protest of 2008.

I just thought this topic would be a good fit for the I remember thread.
    I think it's fine.

One thing I recall from the '80s was that Amway seemed to be something of a "gateway"" to other multi-level schemes. My relatives went through about half-a-dozen other Amway-like groups, before finally getting out completely. Some of the groups seemed to have overlaps with the survivalist movement(eg. freeze-dried food, purportedly useful in case of nuclear war), and I also recall that Mormons seemed to be over-represented in a couple of them.

Most of these groups don't show up on a google search, which probably tells you something about their staying-power.

And for a more Edmonton-specfic anecdote...

In 2002, on my first trip back from Korea, I was sitting in a downtown coffee shop, across from two early middle-aged guys in business suits. Wanting a cigarette, I went outside to light up, and was approached by a passer-by asking directions to Chez Pierre, which I proceeded to give.

When I got back inside, one of the suits said to me "Hey, that guy just came up to you and started talking. You must be the kind of person who really gets along well with others." Apparently, he didn't realize(or thought I didn't realize) that anyone standing on Jasper Avenue for any length of time is bound to attract supplicants; the cigarette alone would have been a draw, if nothing else.

The guy then asked me what I did for a living, and I said I taught ESL in Korea. He replised "You know, a lot of people who go over there don't realize there are a lot of business opportunities." (sure, if your family happens to own Samsung or Hyundai). I cut the conversation short pretty quickly after that, since it was obvious it was going in the direction of "Let me tell you about a company that everyone thinks is a pyramid-scheme, but it really isn't.

From what I gather Amway thrived in the 1970's.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the people I sponsored in my group and our cross line colleagues. I've lost contact with my sponsor and cross line colleagues from that time. I don't have anything against Amway. I remember in 1997 I went to Minneapolis for a Brit function and I had a great cheeseburger at Ruby Tuesdays in The Mall of America. I had some good times with Amway. However, things soured near the end. At that time I was just getting into another endeavor going on 14 years now with that, and my wife and I have been together ever since 2000. If I would have continued on with Amway, I have no doubt it would have compromised if not ended my marriage. I'd never go back to Amway now. Every now and then I wonder what became of my sponsor, the people I sponsored and the Thursday night group at the Ramada. I just thought this topic would be a good fit for the I remember thread.
    Speaking of Amway, Edon Foote's contributions to the city have a similar grounding.

http://www.registrarsoffice.ualberta...Biography.aspx

Eldon Foote family contests will
    BY EDMONTON JOURNAL MARCH 25, 2008

excerpt:
    "EDMONTON — The wife and five children of celebrated Alberta-born philanthropist Eldon Foote have launched an international legal battle to inherit more of the $122 million he bequeathed to charities in Edmonton and Melbourne, Australia.

When he died of lung cancer in 2004, Foote left each of his children $100,000, along with personal items like genealogy charts, duck hunting gear and a hockey stick autographed by Wayne Gretzky. His wife received an $8,500 US monthly allotment. ..."

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=...#__federated=1

~
    Last edited by KC; 05-02-2015 at 08:20 AM.

Speaking of the U Of A, they also have an academic chair endowed by a well-known Amway distributor.
    Last edited by overoceans; 05-02-2015 at 08:01 AM.

That's just it, people in trusting positions are the ultimate uplines. Between the position and all the "networking" that comes with it... they can probably make a few bucks. For the great percentage of people though it turns into a fruitless cause. And then you're told you weren't trying hard enough.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I just thought this topic would be a good fit for the I remember thread.
    I think it's fine.

One thing I recall from the '80s was that Amway seemed to be something of a "gateway"" to other multi-level schemes. My relatives went through about half-a-dozen other Amway-like groups, before finally getting out completely. Some of the groups seemed to have overlaps with the survivalist movement(eg. freeze-dried food, purportedly useful in case of nuclear war), and I also recall that Mormons seemed to be over-represented in a couple of them.

Most of these groups don't show up on a google search, which probably tells you something about their staying-power.

And for a more Edmonton-specfic anecdote...

In 2002, on my first trip back from Korea, I was sitting in a downtown coffee shop, across from two early middle-aged guys in business suits. Wanting a cigarette, I went outside to light up, and was approached by a passer-by asking directions to Chez Pierre, which I proceeded to give.

When I got back inside, one of the suits said to me "Hey, that guy just came up to you and started talking. You must be the kind of person who really gets along well with others." Apparently, he didn't realize(or thought I didn't realize) that anyone standing on Jasper Avenue for any length of time is bound to attract supplicants; the cigarette alone would have been a draw, if nothing else.

The guy then asked me what I did for a living, and I said I taught ESL in Korea. He replised "You know, a lot of people who go over there don't realize there are a lot of business opportunities." (sure, if your family happens to own Samsung or Hyundai). I cut the conversation short pretty quickly after that, since it was obvious it was going in the direction of "Let me tell you about a company that everyone thinks is a pyramid-scheme, but it really isn't.
    No doubt the suit guy was about to do a stp on you. Amway types hang out at coffee shops looking for prospects to stp. Another organization like Amway is Primerica. Hope I spelled that right. I had a colleague give me a presentation a couple of years ago. I never went to any of their rallies at all.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    That's just it, people in trusting positions are the ultimate uplines. Between the position and all the "networking" that comes with it... they can probably make a few bucks. For the great percentage of people though it turns into a fruitless cause. And then you're told you weren't trying hard enough.
    Amway has a pattern. First stp. Get the prospect to the weekly meeting. The prospect gets the love bomb. Out for a night owl. More love. The prospect is told to build a list of names of all the people he/she knows. STP to those people provide books and tapes along the way. Failed stp's are turned into customers. Rinse and repeat. In the org I was in they encouraged you to have 10 customers. 250 pv your first month. I think the main goal was direct distributor. Going direct was also a bit of a mantra. I more or less got tossed out because I wasn't getting enough support. Me being Welfare at the time didn't help my cause.

Another organization like Amway is Primerica.

Yeah, buying financial services is a rigamarole at the best of times. I can only imagine the added headache of having a multilevel marketing scheme thrown into the mix.

Shifting gears a bit, whatever happened to those headstone-shaped street signs reading "fatality" that were placed at the site of fatal accidents to deter unsafe driving? You don't see them around anymore.

I remember the original plan was to have them shaped like crosses, but that got ditched out of deference to non-Christian sensibilities. There was the usual complaining from self-styled Christian advocates, with one guy writing into the newspaper to say that since people won't recognize the headstones as easily as the crosses, this will mean more accidents, and hence the blood is on the hands of the secular liberals who decided to change the design.
    Last edited by overoceans; 06-02-2015 at 12:38 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I saw a fatality sign on ctv local news the other night on the topic of distracted driving. They're still out there.

^ I saw a fatality sign on ctv local news the other night on the topic of distracted driving. They're still out there.
    I wonder if that was a leftover from the early 90s, or if they're still putting them up.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That I couldn't say. But distracted driving wasn't an issue then like it is today.

I was busy and caught only some of that broadcast. What I got from that was that some official was saying that the fatality signs seemed like no deterrent for speeders or distracted drivers. If it was still worth putting them up. I think that was the gist of it.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^That's why I like CTV news over Global as CTV has all the National stuff first half of the news hour and local and Provincial news in the 2nd half. Although I like Gord Steinke and Kevin Karius on Global and Angus Watt doing the financial news Hope to see you then.

And don't forget Nicola

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I miss Bill Matheson doing the weather when Global were ITV at the time. Crosby sounds like she's reading from a script. Bill had passion Crosby is good but I get the feeling she's not into it as much as Bill was.

Nobody is ever going to compare to Bill. I still use his phrase in conversation sometimes "The dreaded of all meteorological phenomena..."

And don't forget Nicola
    Do me a favour. That Nicola comes across as a shrill school headmistress.

To me, those fatality signs are another distraction.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Nobody is ever going to compare to Bill. I still use his phrase in conversation sometimes "The dreaded of all meteorological phenomena..."
    The Omega block, The sword of Damocles, The Idaho high, all well known Matheson catch phrases. I wonder how many pieces of chalk he broke off before he went to markers.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Does anyone remember the ETS transit strike of 1982?

Yeah, Top_Dawg does.

It was quite the shitshow for a few days.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I think it lasted from January-the end of February. I had to walk from where the arena was on 109th over the high level bridge to get to the boardwalk.

A quick search says that the strike lasted 42 days.

Top_Dawg figgered it was only a couple of weeks but that's a long time ago to remember.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Good to know Top_Dawg. 42 days seemed like a long time between January-February. I remember back then a ETS bus pass was something like $15/month.

Does anyone remember the ETS transit strike of 1982?
    Even before reading the dates, I clearly remembered a transit strike taking place in the middle of winter. But I would have guessed that it was a bit earlier than 1982. Does anyone know if there had been another, maybe shorter, strike a few years prior?

I remember the river-valley park system being officially christened as Capital City Recreation Park, maybe around 1979. I went with my dad to Rundle Park to see Peter Lougheed give a speech. As I recall, Lougheed was dressed rather casually, like in a white t-shirt.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The first strike was in 1973 according to this:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/1973+...354/story.html

I remember when The Brick didn't have a sale on. I think it was on a Wednesday, if I remember correctly.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    I remember when The Brick didn't have a sale on. I think it was on a Wednesday, if I remember correctly.

Correct,it was also the day that City Ford didn't have a sale
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I remember City Ford ads before that annoying blonde, who's been at it for 30 years or so. Prior pitchperson was some old Ukrainian guy who'd tell a lame joke at the end. Then he ended up taking his act to some dealership down in Mooville.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I remember City Ford ads before that annoying blonde, who's been at it for 30 years or so. Prior pitchperson was some old Ukrainian guy who'd tell a lame joke at the end. Then he ended up taking his act to some dealership down in Mooville.
    Ha ha... Uncle Nicky has a deal for you!

Come on now, guys. You're making me feel old.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    I met Nicky Fordenski at a function once. I doubt that was his real last name though

I met Nicky Fordenski at a function once. I doubt that was his real last name though
    Just so you can't remember how bad he was, here is one of his jokes.

Nicky: "You know, I'm a lot smarter than some people think!"
    Girl: "How did you find that out, Nicky?"
    Nicky: "I had a test lately, and got an A+ on it!"
    Girl: "Wow, Nicky. That's impressive. What kind of test was it?"
    Nicky: "Oh, it was a blood test!"
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

C2E Posting Power

And who can forget that old "Winestoned Ploughboy" Nestor Pistor. His parody songs were always good for a laugh.

Yes, thanks for that name Nicky Fordenski. I knew it wasn't Uncle Nicky.

I vaguely recall a local pitchman during the mid-70s called Uncle Nicky, a bearded guy in a colorful outfit who appealed to kids. Can't remember what he was pitching though.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    Just so you can't remember how bad he was, here is one of his jokes.

Nicky: "You know, I'm a lot smarter than some people think!"
    Girl: "How did you find that out, Nicky?"
    Nicky: "I had a test lately, and got an A+ on it!"
    Girl: "Wow, Nicky. That's impressive. What kind of test was it?"
    Nicky: "Oh, it was a blood test!"
    Heh, I guess we now know where Gene Principe got his inspiration.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I vaguely recall a local pitchman during the mid-70s called Uncle Nicky, a bearded guy in a colorful outfit who appealed to kids. Can't remember what he was pitching though.
    Carpets. He was mentioned much earlier on in the thread.

And it had to be the most misguided pitch I have ever seen. He had the persona of a kids' show host, but not in an ironic, Crusty The Clown sorta way that would appeal to adults. The ads really did seem to be aimed at children. not exactly a demographic interested in carpets. He'd open by saying "Hi, kids!!", and then proceed to talk about all the great deals to be had at his store. I don't think there were even any real jokes or anything.

And there was a theme song, sung by children, to the tune of "Rubber Duckie"... "Uncle Nicky, you're the one!" etc.

When he was mentioned earlier, someone speculated that he might have been the same guy who did Nicky Fordinski. That might be true. I think there was a few years' gap between the demise of Uncle Nicky, and the appearance of Nicky Fordinski.

EDIT: It was on Gone But Not Forgotten that Uncle Nicky was mentioned.
    Last edited by overoceans; 11-04-2015 at 02:00 PM.

And who can forget that old "Winestoned Ploughboy" Nestor Pistor. His parody songs were always good for a laugh.
    Yup, worked with him once at the old Armed Services Club (?) on 127 St. just north of the Yellowhead. He was a riot.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Yup, worked with him once at the old Armed Services Club (?) on 127 St. just north of the Yellowhead. He was a riot.
    I believe Don Ast(his real name) was part owner of the Edmonton Drillers for a while, too.

C2E Posting Power

Carpets. He was mentioned much earlier on in the thread.

And it had to be the most misguided pitch I have ever seen. He had the persona of a kids' show host, but not in an ironic, Crusty The Clown sorta way that would appeal to adults. The ads really did seem to be aimed at children. not exactly a demographic interested in carpets. He'd open by saying "Hi, kids!!", and then proceed to talk about all the great deals to be had at his store. I don't think there were even any real jokes or anything.

And there was a theme song, sung by children, to the tune of "Rubber Duckie"... "Uncle Nicky, you're the one!" etc.

When he was mentioned earlier, someone speculated that he might have been the same guy who did Nicky Fordinski. That might be true. I think there was a few years' gap between the demise of Uncle Nicky, and the appearance of Nicky Fordinski.

EDIT: It was on Gone But Not Forgotten that Uncle Nicky was mentioned.
    Pretty sure that Nicky Fordinski and Uncle Nicky were one in the same although perhaps the Uncle was added and the Fordinski dropped when he started peddling carpets. If you google up Nicky Fordinski and click on images you will find his picture on an old collectors badge.

Pretty sure that Nicky Fordinski and Uncle Nicky were one in the same although perhaps the Uncle was added and the Fordinski dropped when he started peddling carpets. If you google up Nicky Fordinski and click on images you will find his picture on an old collectors badge.
    If so, it would be the other way around - Uncle Nicky during the 70s, Nicky Fordinski during the 80s.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Does anyone remember the ACT Telerama put on by CFRN every February 2nd and 3rd? The Telerama was a local telethon owned by the ACT Edmonton club. It was known as the ACT Telerama. The telerama would fall on that first weekend in February and CFRN would set aside the whole weekend for it. I believe its last year was 1991. I worked in their call centre late 80's early 1990's. They left a physical memorial wall by Coronation park by the lawn bowling court. Its still there today. The Telerama was the big vehicle for The Northern Alberta Cripple Children's fund, or other wise known as the NACCF. ACT also did fundraising for Camp He Ho Ha, without a telethon. NACCF spokesperson is Carol Russ. Camp He, Ho, Ha, is Joan Neilson Or used to be.

Default Willie and the Walkers

I used to work with some of these musicians.
    http://www.vintageedmonton.com/2012/...illie-and.html
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Cool site, Glenco. Were you in the band?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

No way. I worked for a survey company and some of these guys came to work with us one summer after the band broke up in the early seventies. They were a lot of fun to have around.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Does anyone remember the ACT Telerama put on by CFRN every February 2nd and 3rd? The Telerama was a local telethon owned by the ACT Edmonton club. It was known as the ACT Telerama. The telerama would fall on that first weekend in February and CFRN would set aside the whole weekend for it. I believe its last year was 1991. I worked in their call centre late 80's early 1990's. They left a physical memorial wall by Coronation park by the lawn bowling court. Its still there today. The Telerama was the big vehicle for The Northern Alberta Cripple Children's fund, or other wise known as the NACCF. ACT also did fundraising for Camp He Ho Ha, without a telethon. NACCF spokesperson is Carol Russ. Camp He, Ho, Ha, is Joan Neilson Or used to be.
    I sure remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I sure remember them.
    I can't remember if it was the ACT or the Children's Hospital telethon, but one year some guy made a huge donation, claiming to be some wealthy tycoon from the mideast or something. I think his claims turned out to be fairly dubious. It was all over the local news.

I was in five of the bands on the 60's bands list. Great times that will never return.
    Last edited by 24karat; 13-04-2015 at 11:58 AM.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I sure remember them.
    You and overoceans are some of the few that do. They had the Good brothers at one of their later telethons, Bobby Curtola who was at a lot of the telethons, of course Nicky Fordensky and many others.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I sure remember them.
    I can't remember if it was the ACT or the Children's Hospital telethon, but one year some guy made a huge donation, claiming to be some wealthy tycoon from the mideast or something. I think his claims turned out to be fairly dubious. It was all over the local news.
    I vague memory of that. I always enjoyed working for ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    I was in five of the bands on the 60's bands list. Great times that will never return.
    Tres cool! I spent my entire youth in the 60’s in bands schlepping around the UK and on USAF bases in Europe. As you say, they were the best of times.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Me too and speaking of bands in the '60's-70's nothing had anything on the New Westminster Grooveyard.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast