Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,600 of 1691

Thread: I remember when...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I remember an Australian psychic who showed up in Edmonton in the late 80s, did the rounds on the radio talk-shows, and then hosted a TV show for a short while on, I believe, CFRN.

On his show, he'd walk around the studio, talking to individual members of the audience, claiming to be bringing messages from their departed loved ones. He was a thin, wispy kinda guy, with(as I recall) brown curly hair. Can't recall his name.
    Last edited by overoceans; 22-08-2015 at 10:45 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Tiger Goldstick

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

First One is Always Free

Does anyone remember Barbara Kelly and whatever happened to her? I believe she was a host on ITV (now global) and she was the formal Miss Canada. If memory serves me correctly, she was caught shoplifting. That was last I heard about her.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yeah, Top_Dawg remembers that.

And then she started the crocodile tears.

'Parently the result of some ***'d up mental illness.

A cry for help and all that bullshyt.

Oh yeah, and how she vowed to seek help.

And all the lib left cornholio gaylords said - now, now....poor dear....it's OK..it's a mental health issue....she's seeking help....YOU don't understand what it's like to not be in the right head space....etc..etc..

Like right now with this goofy semi-colon tattoo ***** show.

Just give every *** nut a hug and fix them a sandwich.

And all will be well.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Superman99 View Post
    Does anyone remember Barbara Kelly and whatever happened to her? I believe she was a host on ITV (now global) and she was the formal Miss Canada. If memory serves me correctly, she was caught shoplifting. That was last I heard about her.
    Vaguely. There's not much about her around the net. Was she or is married to Landon Kelly of CHQT?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Speaking of media scandals, I remember a radio DJ in the late 80s who was charged(and I assume convicted of) child sex-abuse. I can't recall his name(and wouldn't post it unless I could find a corroborating news article), but he was sort of a well-known name, though not the kind who'd be remembered decades later.

His crime involved driving around in his car and giving rides to boys, who he would proceed to propostion sexually. One kid reported it to the authorities, and the DJ was subsequently busted.
    Last edited by overoceans; 16-09-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Only person I could think of is Scruff Connors, who was the Bear's first morning DJ.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scruff...rs#Controversy
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Does anyone remember when Meadowlark mall had a movie theatre? That's where my girlfriend and I went to see Aliens the first of the trilogy there.
    Yup, I believe I saw 2001 A Space Odyssey there.

First One is Always Free

[QUOTE=maclac;657020]
    Does anyone remember when Meadowlark mall had a movie theatre? That's where my girlfriend and I went to see Aliens the first of the trilogy there.[/QP

Pretty sure you are referring to "Centennial Mall"'s movie theatre - don't think Meadowlark had a theatre - saw a ton of bad early 80's movies at Centennial, ie, Canonball Run 1 and 2
    Actually I'm pretty sure Centennial Mall never had a theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Only person I could think of is Scruff Connors, who was the Bear's first morning DJ.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scruff...rs#Controversy
    That's a bit later than the case I'm thinking of, and the details don't match. But thanks for the history, anyway. I vaguely remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman99 View Post
    She was caught shoplifting at the Southgate Woodward's food deli. She left the show, moved to Vancouver, and has disappeared from public life.

Incidentally, her replacement on Good Good Morning was another former beauty queen, Lorraine Mansbridge.

Here is Barbara in 1987 celebrating the 40th anniversary of Miss Canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gbf1VkeqP4

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

[QUOTE=trent_vinyl;710894]
    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Does anyone remember when Meadowlark mall had a movie theatre? That's where my girlfriend and I went to see Aliens the first of the trilogy there.[/QP

Pretty sure you are referring to "Centennial Mall"'s movie theatre - don't think Meadowlark had a theatre - saw a ton of bad early 80's movies at Centennial, ie, Canonball Run 1 and 2
    Actually I'm pretty sure Centennial Mall never had a theater.
    I didn't know the actual name of the theatre at Medowlark mall. I recall going there a couple of times in the late 1970's.

Here's a link and note the comments at the bottom of the page:

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/40468

Meadowlark Cinerama

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ That's what it reads in the comments section of that article. I'm just going by memory not a wiki. I remember my date and I after the movie heading across the street to Flamingo's. Good pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Meadowlark Cinerama
    I remember going there to see the first Star Wars movie when it came out. We showed up more than an hour early and the line was around the block. We stood in the tickets line for half an hour and they were selling only single seats. We bought our tickets and my friends started back out the door to walk to the end of the "have tickets" line. I grabbed their coats and pulled them back inside as the staff were just pulling away the barriers and we flooded in nearly at the front of the line and we got front row seats.

An awesome movie experience in it's day from such a ground breaking movie.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Was this on opening day?

as far as I remember. It was in 1977 and that was "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....",
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Meadowlark Cinerama
    I remember going there to see the first Star Wars movie when it came out. We showed up more than an hour early and the line was around the block. We stood in the tickets line for half an hour and they were selling only single seats. We bought our tickets and my friends started back out the door to walk to the end of the "have tickets" line. I grabbed their coats and pulled them back inside as the staff were just pulling away the barriers and we flooded in nearly at the front of the line and we got front row seats.

An awesome movie experience in it's day from such a ground breaking movie.
    IIRC I saw the first movie based on the hype leading up to opening day at a Drive in theatre, Surrey BC lower mainland. May 1977. When the movie was over patrons were driving out of the theatre honking horns in appreciation.

Fast forward 1980 here in Edmonton with friends, they wanted to get going out of Edmonton Centre to Hobbits before it closed. I was with a crowd of onlookers at the Toys and Wheels store looking over shoulders at the TV they had to display these new VCR things, to see the finale moments of the New York Islanders winning the Stanley Cup game. I had the money so my friends were at my mercy. Outside working our way past this huge movie line up on the sidewalk heading West along Jasper Ave about 4 rows in front of the ticket booth were some colleagues of ours and made eye contact with us. "What's playing we asked." Reg said "Star Wars part 2" or something to that effect. If you'll pay our way, we'll let you in," Sure. The movie blew our minds. Richard asked if he could still borrow that $10 to get his comic file. After that, I was hard pressed to say no. I didn't care for the 3rd movie to much but the first 2 movies were awesome. Great memories. I still have the movie stub of the 3rd movie someplace.
    Last edited by envaneo; 16-09-2015 at 09:27 PM.

I remember going to a drive-in in St. Albert sometime in the early 80's. Can't remember the movie. Couldn't see it for the sheeting rain.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ As a young man in my 20's in the lower mainland BC, we went to many movies at the drive-in. In rain soaked lower mainland maybe we got rained on our way out of the drive in a lot but never during the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    I remember going to a drive-in in St. Albert sometime in the early 80's. Can't remember the movie. Couldn't see it for the sheeting rain.
    Did your date like the movie, Debbie does Dallas?

I was like 19 or so and saw that in Reno, NV. Haha

^ That's what it reads in the comments section of that article. I'm just going by memory not a wiki. I remember my date and I after the movie heading across the street to Flamingo's. Good pizza.
    It says it in the comments because that what it was called. Went there many times. The article is correct.

Persuant to recent news items, I remember David Bowie doing at least two concerts in Edmonton. One must have been in 1983, and the other either 1987 or 1988, since I remember it was shortly before Bowie was seen in The Last Temptation Of Christ.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

According to this, one was in 2004 (and not many showed up):

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/01/1...n-show-in-2004

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pin-ups and Diamond Dogs are my 2 favorite albums of his. "Sorrow" blows me away every time I hear it. David's Saxophone work on that song is fantastic. The two best Saxophone solos imo are from Bowie's "Young Americans", the other one is from Alan Parsons "Don't answer me."

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    According to this, one was in 2004 (and not many showed up):

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/01/1...n-show-in-2004
    The Sun doesn't load on most computers over here, but I can believe the 2004 show didn't attract a huge mob.

I remember when the Stones played Edmonton for the first time in the early 90s, and they stuck around for an extra night to do an encore show. The next time they came through town, there apparently wasn't enough interest for two shows.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

David Bowie's estate is worth over £650M. Not bad for a guy that has never had a #1 hit in the US.

Wrong. "Fame" in 1975, "Let's Dance" in 1983
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 12-01-2016 at 11:26 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Default Neba Beef

Anyone else remember this short lived restaurant in this location in late 60's early 70's?
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.54085...7i13312!8i6656

Not sure if they had any other Edmonton locations. It was the precursor to Arby's in some ways and which I believe is dying a slow death itself as I see them closing their location further down 75th Street and Argyll Rd.
    Last edited by edTel; 12-01-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    Anyone else remember this short lived restaurant in this location...

Not sure if they had any other Edmonton locations. It was the precursor to Arby's in some ways and which I believe is dying a slow death itself
    That page isn't loading on my computer. What was the name of the place?

I remember a fast-food place called Goonie's. I vaguely recall that they had some kind of weird duck logo. I heard somewhere that the owner eventually ended up owning a bunch of other outlets for a more popular chain.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sorry can't help. I didn't get here until 1978.

Anyone else remember this short lived restaurant in this location in late 60's early 70's?

Not sure if they had any other Edmonton locations. It was the precursor to Arby's in some ways and which I believe is dying a slow death itself as I see them closing their location further down 75th Street and Argyll Rd.
    Drove by there on sat and told the wife we used to stop there after hockey games but I forget the name, Seems to me I was having pizza there tho

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post

Drove by there on sat and told the wife we used to stop there after hockey games but I forget the name, Seems to me I was having pizza there tho
    My dad used to take the family there in the late 1970s. It was an independent steak & pizza joint. They had excellent NY steaks. But I can't remember the name.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

My dad used to take the family there in the late 1970s. It was an independent steak & pizza joint. They had excellent NY steaks. But I can't remember the name.
    Colosseum Pizza? (I believe that was the actual spelling.)

I was also thinking at one time it was a greek name pizza place like Stavros, Adidas or Apolos or something, hmm. lol

I believe it was a place called Neba's. They sold roast beef sandwiches that were pretty good.

The Lodgepole Blowout

I remember the smell, and that it was in the news for a few weeks. Plus, the international firefighters who came to put it out.

Nice. I remember that as well.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Sorry for the slow response regarding the spot on 75 st and 101 avenue. The building was home to lots of different restaurants including; Western Submarine, Leroy's, Fullers Junior and Hawaii Pizza.
    Hawaii Pizza was there for a long time and was really good. At about 12:05 in the morning of my 18th birthday they asked me for my ID. I still grin when I think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post
    Sorry for the slow response regarding the spot on 75 st and 101 avenue. The building was home to lots of different restaurants including; Western Submarine, Leroy's, Fullers Junior and Hawaii Pizza.
    Hawaii Pizza was there for a long time and was really good. At about 12:05 in the morning of my 18th birthday they asked me for my ID. I still grin when I think about that.
    Is that the one that's shaped like a typical family restaurant from the 70s, with part of the top jutting upward? I think it was some sort of office space for a while as well, no? Like, maybe insurance or something.

It's on the southwest corner of 75 st and 101 avenue. I think an insurance company is there now.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    The Lodgepole Blowout

I remember the smell, and that it was in the news for a few weeks. Plus, the international firefighters who came to put it out.
    I will never forget that I got so ill from the fumes I was hospitalized for a week . It almost destroyed my nervous system and every bone and joint in my body were on fire only time in my life I thought I was dying .
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

Used to go drinking at the Hawaii Pizza on Fort Road when I was 16. Buy a pizza and they did not ask questions. I have pictures of when they tore the old place down.

It's on the southwest corner of 75 st and 101 avenue. I think an insurance company is there now.
    Yeah, that's the place I was thinking of, I'm pretty sure. Just down from the old St. Michael's Church, which later became that Unity Centre, which seems to have diappeared. Does anyone happen to know that is in that building(St. Mike's/Unity) now? Across from the Jewish cemetery.

Quote Originally Posted by buildthemhigh View Post
    The Lodgepole Blowout

I will never forget that I got so ill from the fumes I was hospitalized for a week . It almost destroyed my nervous system and every bone and joint in my body were on fire only time in my life I thought I was dying .
    That's some pretty harrowing stuff, buildthemhigh. Thanks for sharing. Hope things are better now.

I'm a bit younger, so I don't have quite as large a memory warehouse as some. I remember driving (being driven) down 97th when the houses were being demolished to expand it from 2 lanes to the lane control between 118th ave and Northtown - dad used to take the beetle down the back alleys at breakneck speeds - no wonder it needed new shocks every time the oil was changed. I remember the watching 007 kick *** at the paramount on jasper. come to think of it, the last movie I saw there was terminator 2. The multiplexes used to all have the movies and showtimes on the facade, so you could drive by and see what was playing when at multiple locations (back when gas was cheap and traffic was lighter)

First One is Always Free

Its been a few years ,,but as a young one , with my twin,, We'd walk down 118 ave to the Towne Cinema and watch a movie, for our birthdays,,we went to either The Ponderosa steak house, or to shake it up a bit ,,Shakey's Pizza parlor .... I think the last time we did that was 1975

Cec Purves on the 1979 Millwoods gas explosion

Millwoods Oral History. Looks like an interesting channel.

Thanks for that Oceans. Funny how I lived 4 blocks away for 10 years with my folks (1985-1994) and call the area home for 30+ (parents remained there until 2015) but never knew that 12 ave/41 street was ground zero. Unreal. Also, here's some more info, not sure if the size is too small.

http://www.millwoodshistory.org/1979-gas-explosion.html

I think I remember being evacuated as a 5 year old from day care but can't be positive. Waaaay to young.

The size is okay for me, Kitlope, and I have fairly dodgy eyes.

Ms. Cole writes "To date, we've been unable to find out what became of Peter Clark".

In fact, he seems to be keeping a relatively high profile. A google on "Peter Clark burn victim Edmonton" turns up a PDF article from 2012 detailing the community work he's been doing on behalf of burn victims and safety issues.
    Last edited by overoceans; 19-12-2016 at 03:24 PM.

Here is an easier-to-read article about Clark. Apparently, he runs a company that makes fire-retardant clothing.

I believe he lives across the street from my Mom, and was doing burn safety outreach and advocacy. I'll have to ask her.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Once the empty house lots were all filled in by 1991/92 and our normal route wasn't practical we would walk that pipeline corridor to access a couple of bush party spots. Never knew I was walking on something that could have become something much worse than it was.

What an entertaining Topic/Thread! I never knew this one was in the Forum and I have just spent "hours" reading as many of the contributions as time permitted. It is wonderful having my memory jogged about places, events, people and other happenings that I can relate to from over forty years in Edmonton. So much has already been written that it would be a tough job trying to find something new, but, I'll give it some thought.

Oh thanks, now I just burned an hour reading only a part of it and could have replied to dozens of posts. What was interesting were the posters that were quite active but don't appear anymore.

Here's one of mine: Remember the train tracks that were the last vestigial bits of the Edmonton, Yukon & Pacific Railway running up Mill Creek and turning west around 68/69 Avenue to eventually cross 99 Street and connect up to the Strathcona yards? For the last few years of the 60s locomotives would run on that line and the crossing at 97th street that we crossed to go to school was a great place to line up glass pop bottles for the train to vaporize into a spray of fine glass that caught the sun. Puuuurty. For years, even decades maybe, the old tracks and bridges remained right through the MC ravine as a bikeway for the brave.

There also used to be pieces of the EYPR on an unpaved trail above the paved trails that run above Victoria Golf course.

Here's a map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...k4XxA&hl=en_US
    Last edited by Spudly; 19-12-2016 at 06:10 PM. Reason: added stuff

Here is an easier-to-read article about Clark. Apparently, he runs a company that makes fire-retardant clothing.
    Fires! Ok here's something out of Edmonton's past. Not sure if it's been mentioned but do people remember the street corner fire alarm 'switches' that were installed on light standards in neighbourhoods?

Hmm. No, I don't recall those switches, though I'm guessing I would have seen them, if only passively, quite a bit back when they were a thing.

Continuing the pyro theme, I remember walking to school in the mid-to-late 70s some time, and seeing, in the distance, the downtown skyline, and a building under-construction that was on fire. Later on, I heard that there had indeed been a fire on that site, but I don't recall that there were any fatalities.

I've sometimes wondered what the building was. I'm guessing that was around the time that the Principal Plaza(now CWB) was under construction, so maybe that was it?

The little emergency call boxes may have only been trial boxes because they were fairly quickly removed. (Every kid on the bock having pulled them.)

The air raid sirens were cool to hear. They lasted decades. (I think they are mentioned on this thread somewhere.) I don't know if there are pictures available.

Something else from past were the big snow blowers that drove down the back lanes blowing snow over the fence into people's yards. (I think they've been mentioned too.)

Spotted this on Google:
    "Calgary's Cold War solution to warning citizens about the next flood: air raid sirens | National Post
    news.nationalpost.com › news › canada
    Jun 19, 2014 - “Remember the old air raid sirens that used to be on buildings?” asked Calgary Fire Chief Bruce Burrell. “We're actually going to start putting them back on the tops of fire stations ..."
    Last edited by KC; 20-12-2016 at 08:42 AM.

I remember my doctor making a house call to see me when I was sick as a kid.

Anyone remember the small apartment block on Stony Plain Road that blew up. (gas explosion?)

Also right in that same area, many years later, at the bridge over Groat Road there was the tragic death of several teens in a car that went off the road or bridge and hit power lines below I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    There also used to be pieces of the EYPR on an unpaved trail above the paved trails that run above Victoria Golf course.

Here's a map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...k4XxA&hl=en_US

Thanks Spuds.

Top_Dawg had no idea.

Looks like it joined up with the CN Rail tracks that ran parallel to 104 avenue and then went just past Molson Brewery.

Top_Dawg will ask Pa_Dawg if he remembers those tracks.

Anyone mention the O'keefe brewery yet? Above the Kinsmen wasn't it.

Ok I may be off a bit. They shut it down. So they should remain nameless.

Edmonton's beer history

http://www.vueweekly.com/exploring-e...-brew-curious/

$35M for artifact storage facilities deemed too high
    CBC News Posted: May 09, 2011 3:23 PM MT Last Updated: May 09, 2011 4:32 PM MT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...high-1.1107249
    Last edited by KC; 20-12-2016 at 09:48 AM.

The Carling O'Keefe brewery building is still standing, it's just east of the Walterdale hill on Fort Hill.

The Carling O'Keefe brewery building is still standing, it's just east of the Walterdale hill on Fort Hill.
    Yeah, that's what the restoration money request was for.

Sorry, I see that I said "above the Kinsmen wasn't it'.

Again, too bad it's remembered by the name of the company that shut it down.
    Last edited by KC; 21-12-2016 at 09:58 PM.

I remember when it was Bohemian Maid

Anyone remember public swimming at Vic Comp?

Okay, someone help me out here. Walterdale Hill is the one that, if you were walking or cycling northbound on 109th Street, you would turn onto instead of going onto the High Level, right? Basically, around the corner from Humpty's(or whatever it is now)?

So, to get to the old brewery, I'd go down Walterdale Hill, but turn RIGHT onto a side street before getting the bottom?

Does anyone have a picture of the Artifacts centre that is now in the brewery? I'm just trying to get a handle on where exactly this is.

Last time I walked through there I only saw that city maintenance building so I was thinking the brewery must be gone. Hmmm

Wow, I just stumbled across this while looking for info about something else. I remember that anti-religious arson spree in the early 80s.

Interesting cultural shift, in that the writer of the article seems to treat the arsonists' sexual orientation as if it really is an aberration, or at least an oddity. "Homosexual" gets sandwiched in with "howled at the moon" and "believed he was the antichrist". I think the article would be written rather differently, nowadays.
    Last edited by overoceans; 26-12-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Holy *****.

Top_Dawg does.

***, remember that lady that worked at the counter where you entered ?

With the humongous arse.

Who always gave everyone ***** for the slightest thing.

All azz and attitude.

What a blast from the past.

I remember in the mid 80s as a 10/11 year old, Bonnie Doon Pool put so much chlorine in the water that my eyes would get bloodshot red so I had that perma-fried look for a couple of hours. I don't recall other pools using as much chlorine.

Further dives into the memory pool...

I remember(well, I suppose they're still there) that Hardisty Pool had these dark windows above the bleachers, but there was nothing behind them but empty space. A pool employee told me that there had been a mistake during the construction; I guess maybe they thought that's where the bleachers were originally gonna go.

I remember the water at the ACT Pool in Rundle Park was(is?) always warm. I'm assuming this was somehow related to the fact that a good percentage of the pool's clientele were persons with disabilities.

More Canadiana than Edmontonia, but I remember this guy being the mascot for Red Cross swimming lessons at various pools, at least as late as the mid-70s. I didn't know he had a name, though.

Now here's something I'd love to find a copy of: I remember taking driver training and watching a truly classic, hilarious old black and white AMA driver education video with a guy wearing a hat (fedora) and maybe driving around in a big old 1960s car. I seem to recall it being a convertible, but probably not. The guy constantly tapped his horn for any little thing as a heads up.

Not this. Even more entertaining.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_IwCWZSHwE&sns=em
    Last edited by KC; 28-12-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Now here's something I'd love to find a copy of: I remember taking driver training and watching a truly classic, hilarious old black and white AMA driver education video with a guy wearing a hat (fedora) and maybe driving around in a big old 1960s car. I seem to recall it being a convertible, but probably not. The guy constantly tapped his horn for any little thing as a heads up.

I guess the message is "Don't think about hula girls while you're driving."
    Last edited by overoceans; 28-12-2016 at 09:33 AM.

And that reminds me of the anti-drinking and drug abuse films we used to get shown in junior high and high school. I remember one, by AADAC(or some other local agency), about a bunch of teenagers and young adults who go out to a cabin in the woods to get totally wasted on booze and drugs. At one point, some pudgy bearded guy finds a bag of flour in the kitchen, rips it open, and starts tossing the flour around everywhere, in slow motion. I guess maybe some drunk and/or stoned person has done that, but it seemed kind of random to me.

I think they got into a car accident on the way home, and a few of them died. Or maybe that was another film. Something bad always ended up happening in that genre.

I guess the message is "Don't think about hula girls while you're driving."
    Don't laugh. It could happen here. We're already seeing a revival of tiki architecture here (long upward sloping pointy roof over hangs). And people are growing that long ornamental grass too. If we ever get the river's edge beach, hula girl dreaming will replace texting and driving...

Edmonton needs a tiki bar/restaraunt
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...bar-restaraunt

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/archi...hp/t-8961.html

Edmonton needs a tiki bar/restaraunt
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNITERS View Post
    Now I realize that I'm living in a dream world ,but what this town needs is a TIKI bar!, It has to long enough since the TIKI TIKI closed in the early 80's and this city needs a place to relax and get away from the northern kik without getting on a plane.
    I HAVE NO MONEY lol so it cant be me that opens one but somebody has to have some imagination out there when it comes to decor and fun...
    c'mon ....pu pu platter ?! I think we are ready for this !

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/...=16685&forum=2

https://m.facebook.com/TheVintageEdm...21131404691110

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...IKI-restaurant
    Last edited by KC; 28-12-2016 at 09:53 AM.

Ugh, the last thing we need is that ridiculous river-valley beach idea overlaid with a tacky polynesian theme.

Agreed, but what I think would be an asset is to have a fairly large rectangle of Bank excavated and some Jetty's and Mooring Spots made for those who would like a place for the boating season. Also a few Piers here and there to allow for Fishing.
    Last edited by Komorosky; 28-12-2016 at 05:00 PM. Reason: An addition.

Ugh, the last thing we need is that ridiculous river-valley beach idea overlaid with a tacky polynesian theme.
    Way off topic but...

Ridiculous? Think of the local memories you're missing from your youth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.bea1037bb252

These aren't in Edmonton

Note the TIKI sign.

https://media.timeout.com/images/101.../472/image.jpg

Fake beaches in Paris. They've added more due to their success.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...aris_ap416.jpg

10 of the best urban beaches and city riversides in Europe
    Will Coldwell, 11 July 2016
    https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...-berlin-london
    Last edited by KC; 28-12-2016 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Komorosky View Post
    Agreed, but what I think would be an asset is to have a fairly large rectangle of Bank excavated and some Jetty's and Mooring Spots made for those who would like a place for the boating season. Also a few Piers here and there to allow for Fishing.
    I remember being on the river in a friend's riverboat years ago. And on the Edmonton queen a couple times. And even in one of our canoe's. Though at those times and even today I hardly ever see people using our river. So maybe someday I'll be saying remember when no one ever went on our fantastic river for some strange reason.

I've kept the webcam on the new Walterdale bridge on quite a bit for the last year or so and there has been daily, if not hourly, river traffic when conditions are suitable. Power boats, rowboats with a motor, jet skis canoes, kayaks, paddle boards.

I've never seen so many people using the river before, because I wasn't watching. But when I was watching, there were.

First One is Always Free

Last time I walked through there I only saw that city maintenance building so I was thinking the brewery must be gone. Hmmm
    the existing white building was the "modern" (when??). addition to the brewery, that was i think kept on closure as it was relatively new.
    An idea is salvation by imagination.
    -- Frank Lloyd Wright

I remember when IKEA first opened in Edmonton, their store was either on or just off 50th Street, somewhere just south of 90th Ave. I went to their Grand Opening party with my family, and there was a guy performing on stage. My dad said it was Chubby Checker.

There was also a Co-Op in that same area, maybe IKEA took over the space? Not sure.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

As far as I know and I'm working off a seniors memory here but the first IKEA store was in West Edmonton Mall. It was doing good business in the late 80's early 1990's. I recall buying a bookcase there at the time.

IKEA was originally where the University of Alberta Archives are now.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Yeah, Noodle is correct. I can't remember if the southeast store and the WEM store were open at the same time, or if the former shut down and moved to the latter.

One thing...

"100, 8170 - 50th Street"

I remembered it as being north, not south, of Whyte, but I guess that address makes sense.

It's north of the Sherwood Park Freeway, which shortly changes into Whyte Ave, but before it doglegs over to the 82 Ave alignment, making it just south of Whyte.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^82 Ave actually continues slightly north of the Sherwood Park Freeway, past the Burger Baron and down a road of light-industrial/commercial spaces, connecting to 50th street behind the UA Archives building.

Yep, on the west side of 50th immediately north of SPF. We used to take the kids there to play in the ball room. There was a Cloverdale paint store in that precinct as well.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Yep, on the west side of 50th immediately north of SPF. We used to take the kids there to play in the ball room. There was a Cloverdale paint store in that precinct as well.
    The strip mall was called Parkway Village when it first opened. Remember the grand opening was held outside with Bobbie Curtola providing the entertainment.

In the 90's I used to frequent the Sportsman's Lounge in Parkway Village. Now it's Newcastle Pub.

My first swimming lessons.Then more over at the 700 wing.

Yeah, Noodle is correct. I can't remember if the southeast store and the WEM store were open at the same time, or if the former shut down and moved to the latter.

One thing...

"100, 8170 - 50th Street"

I remembered it as being north, not south, of Whyte, but I guess that address makes sense.
    The original IKEA store on 50th street moved to WEM.

The WEM Ikea is where T&T is currently located. Remember Canadian Tire occupied that space Before T&T and after Ikea.

After WEM, Ikea briefly moved to a lot behind the Superstore on Calgary Trail and 51 ave.

Re: posting #1585
    There was also a House of Tools in that shopping mall. I used to go there to buy and browse their excellent choice of tools. They had another Store at Mayfield Common but both closed down over the years.
    Last edited by Komorosky; 06-01-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: A Reference.

The WEM Ikea is where T&T is currently located. Remember Canadian Tire occupied that space Before T&T and after Ikea.
    No, Ikea @ WEM was where Red's/Ed's was/is, not Canadian Tire. Above the Phase 3 food court.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    No, Ikea @ WEM was where Red's/Ed's was/is, not Canadian Tire. Above the Phase 3 food court.
    Ah, you are right. So WEM had a Canadian Tire and Ikea at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Komorosky View Post
    Re: posting #1585
    There was also a House of Tools in that shopping mall. I used to go there to buy and browse their excellent choice of tools. They had another Store at Mayfield Common but both closed down over the years.
    I can't recall the detail, but according to staff at the time, The House of Tools at Mayfield was doing quite well but the company's failure started with losses in another province.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Ah, you are right. So WEM had a Canadian Tire and Ikea at the same time.
    I miss the interesting stores in the malls. When I go to WEM, or most malls for that matter, it's a pretty disappointing shopping experience. If you aren't looking for clothing there's not a great deal to look at.

As an aside, I have my daughter convinced that Princess Auto is the greatest store on earth and much, MUCH more interesting than any of those boring old clothing stores that her mother takes her to.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast