Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Results 1,601 to 1,608 of 1608

Thread: I remember when...

  1. #1601
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    5,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Komorosky View Post
    Re: posting #1585
    There was also a House of Tools in that shopping mall. I used to go there to buy and browse their excellent choice of tools. They had another Store at Mayfield Common but both closed down over the years.
    Me too.

  2. #1602
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Riverbend
    Posts
    164

    Default

    According to my memory and a 1995 article from the Edmonton Journal on the occasion of IKEA's grand opening at the Whitemud Drive location:

    - Opened in Edmonton in 1978 -- 50th Street & Sherwood Park Freeway location
    - Moved to West Edmonton Mall -- likely in 1985 when Phase 3 opened
    - Moved to Calgary Trail & Whitemud Drive (old Eagle Hardware location, more recently Finesse Furniture) in 1995
    - Moved to present South Edm Common location in 2003

  3. #1603
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    asia
    Posts
    2,261

    Default

    I didn't listen to CHQT much in the early 80s, but my parents did. I remember on the morning show, every Friday they would have a guy singing this country-westernish song about "the last seven days", recapping the events of the previous week.

  4. #1604
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bonnie Doon
    Posts
    5,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    I didn't listen to CHQT much in the early 80s, but my parents did. I remember on the morning show, every Friday they would have a guy singing this country-westernish song about "the last seven days", recapping the events of the previous week.
    Bob Bradburn.

    My mom listened to CHQT too. I think the song started with the lyric, "This week had seven days....".

  5. #1605
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    asia
    Posts
    2,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    I didn't listen to CHQT much in the early 80s, but my parents did. I remember on the morning show, every Friday they would have a guy singing this country-westernish song about "the last seven days", recapping the events of the previous week.
    Bob Bradburn.

    My mom listened to CHQT too. I think the song started with the lyric, "This week had seven days....".
    That's right. I think I read somewhere that it was originally used on the 1960s CBC show This Hour Has Seven Days, for their weekly wrap-ups, and the basic format was written by Mavor Moore.

  6. #1606
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    asia
    Posts
    2,261

    Default

    Wow. AADAC has at least one archived copy of Zoot Capri magazine from the early 80s. Click on the magnifying-glass to browse inside.

    http://tinyurl.com/j56awr4

    Like most Alberta youth my age, I got unsolicited deliveries of that magazine for a few years.

    Looking back, I wonder how effective it really was at keeping kids away from substance abuse. It seems to me it might have been simultaneously too square and too cool. Too square, because most of my peers seemed to view it as just some goofy educational thing that adults want you to read for your own good. And too hip, because it had articles on things like "Best Places To See A Rock Concert In Edmonton", whereas, if we're being totally honest, a kid's chances of smoking a joint likely increase if he goes to a rock concert.

    So, the cool kids would have thought it was too square, and the square kids would have been encouraged to do the kind of things that increase their exposure to recerational substances. That said, I will admit that I was a (pretty square) fan of Zoot, and I wasn't inspired to go to rock concerts and take drugs.
    Last edited by overoceans; 13-01-2017 at 04:43 AM.

  7. #1607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Wow. AADAC has at least one archived copy of Zoot Capri magazine from the early 80s. Click on the magnifying-glass to browse inside.

    http://tinyurl.com/j56awr4

    Like most Alberta youth my age, I got unsolicited deliveries of that magazine for a few years.

    Looking back, I wonder how effective it really was at keeping kids away from substance abuse. It seems to me it might have been simultaneously too square and too cool. Too square, because most of my peers seemed to view it as just some goofy educational thing that adults want you to read for your own good. And too hip, because it had articles on things like "Best Places To See A Rock Concert In Edmonton", whereas, if we're being totally honest, a kid's chances of smoking a joint likely increase if he goes to a rock concert.

    So, the cool kids would have thought it was too square, and the square kids would have been encouraged to do the kind of things that increase their exposure to recerational substances. That said, I will admit that I was a (pretty square) fan of Zoot, and I wasn't inspired to go to rock concerts and take drugs.
    I know someone that was involved in media similar to that back then(except his work focused on STDs, etc.) Any great, smart, witty or hard hitting messages were always shot down by "the establishment". Only dull, boring and uninteresting ever went forward.

  8. #1608

    Default

    I stumbled across this thread when I was searching for other information. I thought it deserved to be BTT. This “I Remember When” really got me going. I basically grew up in Old Strathcona. Reading this thread had brought forth so many memories - I remember them too!

    I was born in 1964 at the General Hospital on 111 St & Jasper Ave. Mom said we lived in an apartment above Strathcona Furniture. I remember living in suites in houses on 99 St-83 Ave. Then an apartment on 102 St-83 Ave by the train tracks. I remember my parents’ friends staying overnight and saying the next day “the train woke me up” and we would say “what train” cause we were so use to it we never heard them. Then we moved to an apartment that was built on the site of the houses we had lived in on 99 St. I know/knew the area very well.

    Changes to Whyte Avenue between Bonnie Doon Mall and 112 Street since about 1970, I remember many of them. Changes to BD Mall - I remember. Same with the downtown core - I remember. Mill Creek area around 82 Avenue, I remember. So many places - I remember. Many of the major news events, local celebrities, tv shows - I remember. Many of the old posts - I could bump so many of them - I remember.

    Oh, how I remember!

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •