Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: I remember when...

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Re: I remember when....

Quote Originally Posted by glenorarat
    Watching ITV on its inaugural night in 1974; after 15 minutes, then going off-air for two hours due to technical difficulties.
    Really?

IIRC, the first thing they aired (after 2 weeks of colour bars) was a Shell gasoline commercial followed by the movie, "It's a Mad, Mad World".

Perhaps I stand corrected.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Anyone remember Chicken On The Way? And those ads where the woman had to chase down the fat guy because he'd be eating the food he's supposed to deliver?

Oh, and how about this jingle? "Where'd ya get those clothes? Brothers! Brothers!"

I remember shopping for records and tapes at long-gone national chains, such as Sam the Record Man and A and A.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    ...I remember shopping for records and tapes at long-gone national chains, such as Sam the Record Man and A and A.
    They've been gone from Seymour Street in Vancouver for five or six years if I remember right but the one on Yonge Street in Toronto was still there when we were there last fall unless something has befallen them since?

Addicted to C2E

Chicken on the Way!! A friend of mine used to work for them,
    and starred in several of their commercials way back when

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor
    ...I remember shopping for records and tapes at long-gone national chains, such as Sam the Record Man and A and A.
    They've been gone from Seymour Street in Vancouver for five or six years if I remember right but the one on Yonge Street in Toronto was still there when we were there last fall unless something has befallen them since?
    All Sams are toast except for the Yonge Street location.

SDM: you would have been around when Kelly's sold records too, yes?

Yep, I remember Kelly's.

I think HMV entered Canada by acquiring one of the Canuck record chains, either Kelly's or A&A.

On that note, I will also fondly remember spending entire afternoons browsing for CDs at the downtown A&B Sound.

C2E Super Addict

I remember Vista 33.

...and what was the name of the CFRN TV show hosted by Eric Neville (not popcorn playhouse) - where 4 kids sat like contestants and had to watch short clips of video and answer questions about it, among other things...I think you had to be a school patrol to get on (?) - I was on the show but can't recall the name....!

And SDM, I remember that Brother's jingle - thanks for the earworm!

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Chump
    ...and what was the name of the CFRN TV show hosted by Eric Neville (not popcorn playhouse) - where 4 kids sat like contestants and had to watch short clips of video and answer questions about it, among other things...I think you had to be a school patrol to get on (?) - I was on the show but can't recall the name....
    ...quoting myself, thats a bad sign.

Anyways, I'm thinking it was called "Sunshine Saturday"? Does that ring a bell?

Partially Addicted to C2E

[quote="Sonic Death Monkey"]Yep, I remember Kelly's.

I think HMV entered Canada by acquiring one of the Canuck record chains, either Kelly's or A&A.

HIV entered the Canadian market by buying up Mr. Sound. I remember Sam the Record Man in Edmonton Center on the west side in the basement level, and A&A also in the basement at the east side near Woodwards.

I don't recall Eric Neville having a lot to do with school safety patrols, but I do remember "Tiger" Goldstick having a 10-15 minute part on safety patrols during Popcorn Playhouse. It was part of his "Bring Me Back Alive" program in conjunction with the Canadian Motor Association. (Did you also get the 'Bring Me Back Alive' Iron-on before the Victoria Day long weekend in school??)

As for 44-Chicken, wasn't Susan Woywitka the dispatch operator for the Chicken on the Way TV commercials?

C2E Super Addict

I don't recall Eric Neville having a lot to do with school safety patrols...
    he didn't (if you're referring to my post) - but to get on that show I think you had to be a school patrol (the kids that held out the stop signs to halt traffic). I might be wrong on that though, after all, it was a few years ago....

As for 44-Chicken, wasn't Susan Woywitka the dispatch operator for the Chicken on the Way TV commercials?
    She's now a Celtic shaman? How bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by murman
    There is also the Barrington St location in Halifax, which was purchased by his sons (they said they kept it open as it was his favourite location).

Edit - Actually, I that one closed down about two months ago.

Being older than dirt I remember when Kelly's was Kelly DeYoung records.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I remember Southside Sound, SU Records in HUB Mall, and that used record place by The Brick on 101 street. I forgot the name....

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66
    I remember Southside Sound, SU Records in HUB Mall, and that used record place by The Brick on 101 street. I forgot the name....
    ^ I loved SU Records in HUB mall, it had a great selection and it was so neat to go upstairs to browse!

Addicted to C2E

I bought my first 45 at Sam the Record Man in Westmount...
    Nice to Be With You by Andy Kim.
    I bought my first LP at Woodward's Westmount.. The Monkees
    Greatest Hits... orange on brown in front, brown on orange in back.
    And lo and behold, I still have them

You realize that Southside Sound is still alive and well on Whyte Ave, right?

Are you referring to Trader Tom; in the old wood frame building? Medium blue in color with black stars all over it, and 'OPEN ALL NITE' painted on the front?

Ooops, my bad! Slap me with an Elton John record.

glenorarat: Not Trader Tom. It was not far from Victoria High School across from the Brick Warehouse. Metro Records?

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60
    Being older than dirt I remember when Kelly's was Kelly DeYoung records.
    Yep, if I remember right, it was on 101 Street across from 100A Avenue where it dead-ended.

Ooops, my bad! Slap me with an Elton John record.

glenorarat: Not Trader Tom. It was not far from Victoria High School across from the Brick Warehouse. Metro Records?
    There was Marquee, (A&A Records by another name) on the northwest corner of 107th & 101st that took over a shop that made granite memorials. But that was later, in the early '80's

That it!

Marquee Records. Now I can sleep tonight. Thanks!

That it!

Marquee Records. Now I can sleep tonight. Thanks!
    I worked at the Marquee in the mid-80s...

First One is Always Free

I remember when there was an old man and a middle aged woman who would preach (I believe it had something to do with the end of the world) across the street from Hotel MacDonald (near the bus stop). Wonder what happened to them.

/\ I even remember his chant:
    "may I offer you a testimony of what Jesus did"
    It's funny how some things stick in your head.

First One is Always Free

Frank and Debbie.

We called her the Robot Lady.

/\ I even remember his chant:
    "may I offer you a testimony of what Jesus did"
    It's funny how some things stick in your head.
    I remember him outside the Tegler Building. He'd swing slowly from side to side with those light green handouts, repeating over and over. "MAY I offer you a testimony on what Jeez-SUS did?!"

Frank and Deborah (sp?) whatever happened to them I know that Frank died a few years back.

Deborah I cannot quite remember her story.

SDM: you would have been around when Kelly's sold records too, yes?

Toronto's Sam the Record Man closing

UNNATI GANDHI

Globe and Mail Update

May 29, 2007 at 8:51 PM EDT

Toronto — Sam the Record Man, a Yonge Street staple since 1961 and once Canada's top music retailer, will be closing its doors for good next month.

Citing ubiquitous music downloads, Jason and Bobby Sniderman, the sons of Sam Sniderman and present owners of the flagship Toronto store, said rarely does a day go by without a story about declining CD sales.

“We are making a responsible decision in recognizing the status of the record industry and the increasing impact of technology,” said Bobby Sniderman in a press release.

He would not elaborate when reached by telephone Tuesday.
    Sam the Record Man has been a staple on Toronto’s Yonge Street since 1961 and was once Canada’s top music retailer.

The store will close June 30.

Sam the Record Man has been the most prominent victim of the ever-changing music industry in Canada.

In 2001, the store declared bankruptcy, liquidating most of its stock. It then reopened in 2002.

The business was squeezed by free music downloads on the Internet and rivals such as Wal-Mart and HMV, often selling hit CDs at cut rates.

Among other things, Sam's had stood out from the competition for its willingness to give Canadian records a chance.

“You know, I've sort of become an icon in my own time, the godfather of the recording-industry artists and all that, and I love that part of it,” Sam Sniderman told The Globe and Mail in 2001. “It's been my life.”

His son, Bobby, agreed.

“This is about more than just bricks and mortar; Sam the Record Man is the most recognizable name in the Canadian Music Industry, an iconic legacy that will forever endure and perhaps, other opportunities will arise for us to develop the brand in the expanding delivery of music,” he said in the release.

Musician-actor Ronnie Hawkins — who helped incubate such stars as The Band, including Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm, and whose bands included David Foster, Domenic Troiano, Amy Sky and Roy Buchanan — remembered Sam's being the only place he'd go to get his music.

"When I first came to Canada in 1958, he was the only one on Yonge Street that I knew of. One of the first albums he'd ordered for us was Muddy Waters."

Mr. Hawkins, 72, called the closing "the end of an era," adding that it was only a matter of time with "that new, fast world we're in. There's no way to stop it unless you take the computers and cell phones away from everybody, otherwise it's going to keep getting faster."

The closing marks the end of an era for the Snidermans, who have been in the record business since Mr. Sniderman began selling discs in the family's radio store in 1937. He added an outlet in a furniture store in 1960, opened the Yonge Street store the following year and began to create a chain through franchising in the late 1960s.

The two franchise stores in Belleville, Ont., and Sarnia, Ont., will remain open.

First One is Always Free

I remembered the Chinese library at the University of Alberta. You used to be able to smoke there while studying. I used to study there because you can actually drink coffee, smoke and eat while you study. I even remember a guy started snoring and there were students who looked like they haven't showered for days. I cannot imagine doing that now. It must have stunk there at the time.

Also, I remembered the pedway between Hub mall and Rutherford library where all the "beautiful people" hung out.

Addicted to C2E

I hope they keep the spinning neon lights. Those are iconic.

First One is Always Free

I remember when:

- Fishing for trout at Mayfair Park. Do they even stock trout at Hawrelak Park anymore?

- The Barbara Kelly Show on ITV.

- The Wes and Wilkie show on ITV.

- Morocraft Hobby Store on Whyte and 108 st. My brother and I would buy flying model airplane kits there.

There was also a Roundhouse Hobby store where the Strathcona Shopper's Drug Mart is now located. That place had a cool slot car track in the back of the store.
    Does anyone know what happened to Barbara Kelly. I believe she got caught shoplifting once a shopping center and was going through some kind of breakdown.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Superman99
    I remembered the Chinese library at the University of Alberta. You used to be able to smoke there while studying. I used to study there because you can actually drink coffee, smoke and eat while you study. I even remember a guy started snoring and there were students who looked like they haven't showered for days. I cannot imagine doing that now. It must have stunk there at the time.

Also, I remembered the pedway between Hub mall and Rutherford library where all the "beautiful people" hung out.
    Yep. Remember all of that. Also liked people watching in CAB

First One is Always Free

LOL - I was just remembering how *I* used to work at Marquee and googled to see if it was still open - finding this page instead.

I remember being there for the release of Michael Jackson's BAD (1987), as well as REM's Dead Letter Office (1987) and Eponymous (198. Funny how the only way I can figure it out exactly when I was there is by album releases.

Also, the iirc the manager (big guy) was named Jim - can't for the life of me remember asst-manager's name. He was a little guy with a British accent.

Takes me back

Quote Originally Posted by protocool
    LOL - I was just remembering how *I* used to work at Marquee and googled to see if it was still open - finding this page instead.

I remember being there for the release of Michael Jackson's BAD (1987), as well as REM's Dead Letter Office (1987) and Eponymous (198. Funny how the only way I can figure it out exactly when I was there is by album releases.

Also, the iirc the manager (big guy) was named Jim - can't for the life of me remember asst-manager's name. He was a little guy with a British accent.

Takes me back
    Glad you found us! Welcome to C2E!

Takes me back
    I think summer '87 was my final summer there. Cool...

Jim ended up in NYC, IIRC. Dave who used to do stock ended up in Moe Berg's band in Toronto (can't recall name). Dwayne joined Skinny Puppy and later OD'd and died...

Dave who used to do stock ended up in Moe Berg's band in Toronto (can't recall name).
    Pursuit of Happiness?

Dave who used to do stock ended up in Moe Berg's band in Toronto (can't recall name).
    Pursuit of Happiness?
    Thx. I was having a blonde-wannabee moment... or a grey one.. take your pick.

Pursuit of Happiness?
    Thx. I was having a blonde-wannabee moment... or a grey one.. take your pick.
    I resemble that comment.

C2E Super Addict

How about this jingle

426-5050 I wouldn't feed this crap to fido

also what were the 2 big stores at westmount, woodwards & kreske?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecker
    How about this jingle

Woodwards for certain, not sure about Kresge.

Quote Originally Posted by djgirl
    How about this jingle

Simpsons, maybe?

How about this jingle

Simpsons, maybe?
    No, that is not ringing a bell with me either.

How about this jingle

Simpsons, maybe?
    Woodward's was the anchor tenant and owner of Westmount Shoppers' Park. In the early eighties, Woodward's was solicited by Triple Five to be the fourth anchor in WEM. Woodward's solidly refused until Triple Five offered to buy Westmount Shoppers' Park.
    Up until that time, Woodwards was split in two within Westmount. Clothing, jewellry, and the Famous Food Floor were on the north end of the mall, while the furniture and entertainment were on the south end of the mall. The second largest store there was indeed S.S. Kresge about mid-way on the west side. (Have great memories of that long lunch counter.) The next runner up for size probably was Johnstone Walker on the east side. Had an interesting bridge/stairs over the basement stairway inside, and 3/4" thick frameless glass entry doors to the south. As for smaller stores inside, I remember the Hobby Horse, Jack & Jill, Westmount Kitchen, United Cigar Store, Mac's Dairy Lane, Cole's, etc. There were also numerous clothing stores, naturally, but can't remember them all.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

How about this jingle

Simpsons, maybe?
    The three original anchors were Woodward's, Johnstone Walker and Kresge's. I think the Sahara Theatre's single screen arrived a few years after the mall first opened in 1955 but I'm not sure.

How about this jingle

Simpsons, maybe?
    The three original anchors were Woodward's, Johnstone Walker and Kresge's. I think the Sahara Theatre's single screen arrived a few years after the mall first opened in 1955 but I'm not sure.
    Thank you kcantor and glenorarat!

Was the Sahara part of Westmount or was it a stand alone close to 114 Ave?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

How about this jingle

Simpsons, maybe?

Wikipedia stands to be corrected - along with me - but if they are correct:

"Westmount Centre was started as a strip mall called Westmount Shopper's Park in 1955. The movie theatre now operated by the Empire chain first opened in 1985, replacing a cinema at another part of the mall which originally opened in 1959 as the single-screen Sahara Theatre, which became the Westmount Theatre in 1965 when Famous Players took it over, then twinned the theatre in 1971 by building a smaller, 500-seat auditorium adjoining the existing 800-seat one."

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Wasn't the Sahara just north of Westmount, where the Mac's is? Or maybe it was just in the northeast corner of the parking lot? I'm pretty sure that it wasn't actually part of the mall (although I was probably about 4 at the time )

a cinema at another part of the mall which originally opened in 1959 as the single-screen Sahara Theatre, which became the Westmount Theatre in 1965 when Famous Players took it over, then twinned the theatre in 1971 by building a smaller, 500-seat auditorium adjoining the existing 800-seat one."
    The quote from Wikipedia is wrong.

The Sahara theatre with the attached Sahara Restaurant and Lounge was a stand-alone building on the northwest corner of 114Ave and Groat. Adjacent was a Safeway with a community clinic and the public library to the west of that. There was no theatre in the Westmount shopping centre until it was rebuilt as an enclosed mall.

The restaurant and lounge retained the Sahara name after the theatre name was changed to Westmount

C2E Super Addict

How about this jingle

Simpsons, maybe?

Wikipedia stands to be corrected - along with me - but if they are correct:

"Westmount Centre was started as a strip mall called Westmount Shopper's Park in 1955. The movie theatre now operated by the Empire chain first opened in 1985, replacing a cinema at another part of the mall which originally opened in 1959 as the single-screen Sahara Theatre, which became the Westmount Theatre in 1965 when Famous Players took it over, then twinned the theatre in 1971 by building a smaller, 500-seat auditorium adjoining the existing 800-seat one."
    All I remember is going to see some sort of clay-mation Sinbad movie there, probably late 70's. I'm thinking it was freestanding for some reason, not sure why I think that.
    Remember the old planetarium around there?

Quote Originally Posted by dwells
    a cinema at another part of the mall which originally opened in 1959 as the single-screen Sahara Theatre, which became the Westmount Theatre in 1965 when Famous Players took it over, then twinned the theatre in 1971 by building a smaller, 500-seat auditorium adjoining the existing 800-seat one."

The Sahara theatre with the attached Sahara Restaurant and Lounge was a stand-alone building on the northwest corner of 114Ave and Groat. Adjacent was a Safeway with a community clinic and the public library to the west of that. There was no theatre in the Westmount shopping centre until it was rebuilt as an enclosed mall.

The restaurant and lounge retained the Sahara name after the theatre name was changed to Westmount
    ^ Thank you,

I thought so, I was not around then but that was my distant impression.

Still is around behind Woodcroft Community Hall and the Lawn Bowls green.

Remember when the Planetarium was the big building in the park?

Remember when the Planetarium was the big building in the park?
    Nope, it has always been surrounded since I have been in Edmonton.

My SO does though...one early morning about two and a half decades ago police surrounded him as he practiced Martial Arts in the park...took some explaining and convincing on his part that he was not some anarchist or homicidal maniac. It did not help his case that he was one of those longhaired hippie types wearing his training "pajamas".

Wikipedia's gotten so messy recently, I usually go to http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page instead.

Wikipedia's gotten so messy recently, I usually go to http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page instead.
    I NEVER totally trust wiki, and always get at least two more sources.

First One is Always Free

Takes me back
    His name was Steven - who often placed a sock "strategically" in "strategic" places! I worked at Marquee during the "Slice Me Nice" epidemic. Other offshoot Marquee bands - Famous Blue Raincoat (Frank) and Skinny Puppy (Dwayne). Sadly, both died. Think that Dave from TPOH is still alive and kicking.

Happy Memories... :P

Quote Originally Posted by bythec13

Takes me back
    His name was Steven - who often placed a sock "strategically" in "strategic" places! I worked at Marquee during the "Slice Me Nice" epidemic. Other offshoot Marquee bands - Famous Blue Raincoat (Frank) and Skinny Puppy (Dwayne). Sadly, both died. Think that Dave from TPOH is still alive and kicking.

^ Thanks for sharing your memories...

Welcome to C2E!

Takes me back

What years were you at the Marquee? My favourite Slice moment was when someone came in asking for Slice Me Fancy by Madonna.

First One is Always Free

Takes me back

What years were you at the Marquee? My favourite Slice moment was when someone came in asking for Slice Me Fancy by Madonna.
    1986 to 1990ish. How about you? How many times did someone ask for something from the woman "Divine". I'm Carmelle by the by...

C2E Super Addict

How about this jingle

Simpsons, maybe?
    Woodward's was the anchor tenant and owner of Westmount Shoppers' Park. In the early eighties, Woodward's was solicited by Triple Five to be the fourth anchor in WEM. Woodward's solidly refused until Triple Five offered to buy Westmount Shoppers' Park.
    Up until that time, Woodwards was split in two within Westmount. Clothing, jewellry, and the Famous Food Floor were on the north end of the mall, while the furniture and entertainment were on the south end of the mall. The second largest store there was indeed S.S. Kresge about mid-way on the west side. (Have great memories of that long lunch counter.) The next runner up for size probably was Johnstone Walker on the east side. Had an interesting bridge/stairs over the basement stairway inside, and 3/4" thick frameless glass entry doors to the south. As for smaller stores inside, I remember the Hobby Horse, Jack & Jill, Westmount Kitchen, United Cigar Store, Mac's Dairy Lane, Cole's, etc. There were also numerous clothing stores, naturally, but can't remember them all.
    Yes, thats what they were. Miss those old stores....damn wal-mart.

[quote="Wrecker"][quote="glenorarat"][quote="djgirl"][quote="murman"][quote="djgirl"]
    How about this jingle

Yes, thats what they were. Miss those old stores....damn wal-mart.
    You're going to miss them even more, from what I hear. They want to rip out most of the small stores that are left between Zellers and Safeway, and put in Box Store! Do we really need a Home Depot in Westmount??

A few pages ago, someone mentioned the movie theatre showing Dracula Sucks in the early 80s, and how this became the subject of a court case. This reminded me of the string of moral panics that seemed to grip the city around that time.

I remember the Dracula Sucks controversy.

I remember a theatre getting busted for showing Caligula, and that this also ended up in court.

I remember a controversy over The Tin Drum, though I can't recall how it ended up legally. (It's actually a rather boring film.)

I remember Max Solbrekken campaigning against the film Blue Lagoon, and debating Pierre Cochard on Ron Collister's radio show.

I remember a gay bathhouse called Pisces Health Spa getting busted, and that very few convictions resulted from this.

I remember a guy named Eddie Keehn(not the radio host) who campaigned against adult magazines by vandalizing them in stores. This resulted in legal problems for Keehn, since he had neglected to purchase the magazines first.

I remember some people on city council trying to make an issue out of video arcades being a corrupting influence on youth. At the time, I was a teenager and thought this was a pretty blatant case of scapegoating. I still feel that way, even though I'm now an adult who detests computer games.

I remember Chez Pierre getting busted, and that the ensuing court case was rather embarrassing for the police. I think of this as being the last hurrah for Edmonton's Great Moral Crusades Of The 1980s. Can't think of anything like that happening since.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans
    I remember Max Solbrekken campaigning against the film Blue Lagoon, and debating Pierre Cochard on Ron Collister's radio show.

I remember a guy named Eddie Keehn(not the radio host) who campaigned against adult magazines by vandalizing them in stores. This resulted in legal problems for Keehn, since he had neglected to purchase the magazines first.

I remember Chez Pierre getting busted, and that the ensuing court case was rather embarrassing for the police. I think of this as being the last hurrah for Edmonton's Great 1980s string of moral crusades. Can't think of anything like that happening since.
    ^ I don't remember the Blue Lagoon controversy but I had not thought of Ron Collister for eons. (Always liked him as he was straight shooting and intelligent.)

I remember Eddie Keen… the New Sarepta Tire Company...he was at the Sun and was a harbinger to Kerry Diotte.

I remember the moral crusades at Chez Pierre’s and if I am not mistaken one of the women who was very vocal during that time was quoted in a letter to the Journal I posted today.

I remember a controversy over The Tin Drum, though I can't recall how it ended up legally. (It's actually a rather boring film.)
    It's been a long time since I watched The Tin Drum, but I can't think of what would be controversial about it. (Though I do remember it being boring. The book was far better.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear
    It's been a long time since I watched The Tin Drum, but I can't think of what would be controversial about it. (Though I do remember it being boring. The book was far better.)
    As I recall, it has a scene portraying a sexual enounter between the main character and an adult woman, at a time when the main character would have been legally a child.

remember Eddie Keen… the New Sarepta Tire Company...he was at the Sun and was a harbinger to Kerry Diotte.

Just so we're clear, the Eddie Keehn I'm talking about was not the guy at the Sun and Ched. He spelled his name differently, for one thing. I recall Eddie Keen the radio guy publically disassociating himself from his near namesake.

Wikipedia's article on The Tin Drum, with a section about the controversy...

http://tinyurl.com/ywdtsv

remember Eddie Keen… the New Sarepta Tire Company...he was at the Sun and was a harbinger to Kerry Diotte.

Just so we're clear, the Eddie Keehn I'm talking about was not the guy at the Sun and Ched. He spelled his name differently, for one thing. I recall Eddie Keen the radio guy publically disassociating himself from his near namesake.
    ^ Now the bells are ringing...

Now the bells are ringing...
    Ha ha! Oh, and by the way...

I remember the moral crusades at Chez Pierre’s and if I am not mistaken one of the women who was very vocal during that time was quoted in a letter to the Journal I posted today.

Are you referring to Audrey Jensen, who tried to get the strippers out of the bars, mid-90s some time? I guess she would be an example of post-80s moral crusader, though she never seemed to have much of a following.

Now the bells are ringing...
    Ha ha! Oh, and by the way...

Are you referring to Audrey Jensen, who tried to get the strippers out of the bars, mid-90s some time? I guess she would be an example of post-80s moral crusader, though she never seemed to have much of a following.
    Boy are you good! That is who I was referring to.

Boy are you good!

Well, thank you.

And, shifting gears a bit, I was just checking out the "new slogans" thread, and I was reminded of when someone had the idea of declaring Edmonton "Official Host City For The Turn Of The Century". (Or was it the Millennium?) The phrase actually made it to the side of the phone books that were issued that year, but then there was a media backlash against its supposed pretentiousness, and it was promptly dropped. I think the crowd-pleasing, sports-oriented City Of Champions was introduced after that.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

and now i suppose it's time for all of us old folks who remember "which" day was "$1.49 day" - along with whose sale that was - to raise our hands...

and now i suppose it's time for all of us old folks who remember "which" day was "$1.49 day" - along with whose sale that was - to raise our hands...
    It was Woodwards' sale. Can't quite recall the day of the week. Tuesday?

Hands raised... ^ I am sure it was Tuesday's too...wasn't there a jingle...$1.49 day--Tuesday...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

right on both counts

Correct about the jingle, but I remember it as...

1. 49 day...

Woodwards!

Though maybe they said "Tuesday", I dunno.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

1. 49 day...

Woodwards!

everybody's right this afternoon...

the jingle had two parts that went:
    dollar forty nine day...woodwards;
    dollar forty nine day... tuesday.

and now i will regret starting this because that silly jingle will be in my head (some will say all by itself ) for the next three days until something else replaces it.

1. 49 day...

Woodwards!

and now i will regret starting this because that silly jingle will be in my head (some will say all by itself ) for the next three days until something else replaces it.
    Well it is already in mine so why should you be exempt? UGH!

I will have to play some CD's this evening to try and drum it out...

Default Planetarium

I remember going to the planetarium (then called the Princess Elizabeth Planetarium) on a Brownies expedition as a kid.

I went to see it behind the Telus World of Science recently. It looks like they just use it for storage - just boxes and stuff can be seen in the windows. Seems sad. All that gorgeous marble that it was made with......and it still as a sign on the front stating that it was opened by a royal family member......

As well, I had forgotten all of the signs of the zodiac that were embedded into the sidewalk out front. I wish they would do something to reopen it. Seems a shame.......

Addicted to C2E

1. 49 day...

Woodwards!

$1.49 was on Tuesdays originally, then Woolco came out
    with $1.44 Mondays, so Woodward's changed their $1.49
    to Mondays to compete with Woolco.

1. 49 day...

Woodwards!

Would you like me to do the whistling at the beginning and the end while you sing it?

Lest we forget "It's Dollar thirty-three day, at Army & Navy....!"
    A&N did their best to undercut Woodards AND Woolco!!

Well, maybe this will help:

YES YA CAN!!

YES YA CAN!!

YES YA CAN BUY A __________ for ________ DOLLARS!!

What was the guy selling?

And how much did it cost?

YES YA CAN!!

YES YA CAN!!

You have me stumped.

Waterbed for $99 ?

[quote="djgirl"]

YES YA CAN!!

YES YA CAN!!

YOU GOTTA SEE THAT BIG BRICK WAREHOUSE!!

Probably a couch or a chair at Midnight Madness.

Or if it wasn't that, it was.

Uncle Dennis selling exploding Ford Pintos

Waterbed for $99 ?
    Bingo.

A California waterbed!!

Default Re: Planetarium

Quote Originally Posted by mylilypad
    I remember going to the planetarium (then called the Princess Elizabeth Planetarium) on a Brownies expedition as a kid.

I went to see it behind the Telus World of Science recently. It looks like they just use it for storage - just boxes and stuff can be seen in the windows. Seems sad. All that gorgeous marble that it was made with......and it still as a sign on the front stating that it was opened by a royal family member......

As well, I had forgotten all of the signs of the zodiac that were embedded into the sidewalk out front. I wish they would do something to reopen it. Seems a shame.......
    That does indeed sound like a shame. I think that old planetarium was a very cool structure, out there in the middle of the field. (Or at least that's how I remember it.) They should at least make it into some sort of a mini-museum or something.

And yeah, the signs of the zodiac. Very cool.

First One is Always Free

Default I remember when - newbie viewpoint

I haven't the same history as some of the folks who have posted here, having moved to Edmonton about six years ago. However, I still have a few "I remember when" memories like:

I remember when:
    I saw my first "ice fog" over the North Saskatchewan river;
    I thought that half-an-hour was a long time to get across the city!;
    My in-laws house at 153rd avenue was the northern edge of the city and 167 ave was "rural";
    I first took my kids to the AB legislature to splash in the wading pools;
    I remember coming back from vacation on Vancouver Island (where I used to live and work) and feeling like Edmonton was "home".

Cheers everyone.

Default Re: I remember when - newbie viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by John Lawrence
    I haven't the same history as some of the folks who have posted here, having moved to Edmonton about six years ago. However, I still have a few "I remember when" memories like:

I remember when:
    I saw my first "ice fog" over the North Saskatchewan river;
    I thought that half-an-hour was a long time to get across the city!;
    My in-laws house at 153rd avenue was the northern edge of the city and 167 ave was "rural";
    I first took my kids to the AB legislature to splash in the wading pools;
    I remember coming back from vacation on Vancouver Island (where I used to live and work) and feeling like Edmonton was "home".

Cheers everyone.
    Calling a place "home" is the highest form of praise IMO.

Welcome to C2E and thanks for the memories!

Cheers,

I remember Chez Pierre getting busted, and that the ensuing court case was rather embarrassing for the police. I think of this as being the last hurrah for Edmonton's Great Moral Crusades Of The 1980s. Can't think of anything like that happening since.
    There was a woman from Stettler (can't remember her name) who often protested peep shows and strip clubs.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat
    There was a woman from Stettler (can't remember her name) who often protested peep shows and strip clubs.
    Audrey Jensen.

I'm told that she's the reason why strip shows here in Alberta have devolved into tame loonie-tossing contests. I remember the strip clubs being a lot raunchier during the mid-80s, when I was young and full of you-know-what. I was out of the province when the liquor laws were changed, so someone else will have to confirm.

Yeah, we were talking about her earlier. Her name was Audrey Jensen. She was a real media celebrity for a few months, mid-90s or so.

I think her most outrageous stunt was when she dressed up as a man, complete with fake moustache, and went to check out the dancing booths that had recently been installed at one of the adult shops on skid row. She had a flock of reporters and photographers in tow, and came out of the shop to pronounce herself shocked and appalled at the depravaties she had witnessed while perusing the private rooms.

As I recall, she also got involved in grilling Don Getty during his byelection campaign, after he moved down to Stettler following his defeat in Whitemud.

(edited for grammar)

Audrey Jensen.

I'm told that she's the reason why strip shows here in Alberta have devolved into tame loonie-tossing contests. I remember the strip clubs being a lot raunchier during the mid-80s, when I was young and full of you-know-what. I was out of the province when the liquor laws were changed, so someone else will have to confirm.
    I can't really comment, since I haven't hit a peeler bar since the mid-90s some time, shortly after AJ's heyday, and I can't really recall how raunchy the show was.

Wasn't there an issue around that time about how bars that had previously just been regular drimking establishements were now featuring strippers, whereas traditionally burlesque dancing had been confined to establishments set up specifically for that purpose? I seem to remember Link Byfield running an editorial about this.

First One is Always Free

I remember the Library bar at the University of Alberta (right beside MACs store and Campus Tower). That was a very unique place to go. There were books all over the place (and the interior kind of looked like a library). That was the one place where professors, graduate students and even students could go and drink a pint.

Also, there was Dewey's bar on HUB mall.

Those were places where artsies could go to. Now I'm old and have a career, I dont know if there are equivalents. If there are, let me know.

First One is Always Free

Things at the U have changed quite a bit even just in the past couple of years. The Library is now Hudson's on Campus.

Powerplant is undergoing major changes. This past year they stopped serving alcohol during the week and implemented a buffet instead of regular food service. Both ideas turned out horribly and it's been shutdown for the summer while they retool again. It seems Dewey's is going to be turned into a "licensed coffee shop" which it has always seemed to be to me.

It seems Dewey's is going to be turned into a "licensed coffee shop" which it has always seemed to be to me.
    I was never really that comfortable drinking in Dewey's. It always felt kind of strange how one minute you'd be in a bar slamming back the pints with your friends, but once you leave, you're in the middle of a shopping mall, surrounded by people who are stone-cold sober and rushing off to their night classes.

Quote Originally Posted by nriviera
    Things at the U have changed quite a bit even just in the past couple of years. The Library is now Hudson's on Campus.

Powerplant is undergoing major changes. This past year they stopped serving alcohol during the week and implemented a buffet instead of regular food service. Both ideas turned out horribly and it's been shutdown for the summer while they retool again. It seems Dewey's is going to be turned into a "licensed coffee shop" which it has always seemed to be to me.

I used to love the Library as it always had a neat atmosphere and was a nice diversion from the frat scene at the PP or Dewey’s.

Did my share of drinking at Dewey's in Hub but I agree it was a little strange exiting into the middle of campus/a mall/ a residence.

The Faulty Club has the best view still or Rutherford House for tea!

Does anyone remember La Casa Ticinno (sp?) that used to be about where Timmy’s is now?

Great Italian food and they were always great about getting you in and out fast if you were seeing a show at the Jube.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    p.s. Speaking of CFRN I remember the little Indian boy they used as their mascot. Every Klondike Days the kids would get a CFRN paper Indian headdress.
    Oh crap, I forgot about that one!!!!! Almost as funny as Popcorn Playhouse!!

All this and being on Popcorn Playhouse 3x. Nothing like diggin for gold in the sandbox and corny jokes with the moose

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast