Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: I remember when...

First One is Always Free

Grade 8 field trip in '75 to the planitarium, learned a lot about the universe and "Streakers"-----love the fads of the 70's. Won't say how raunchy the strip joints were but lets say at one time there was no separation from the stage and on this subject anyone else remember when Tracy Stars was the only other strip joint in town along with Chez Pierre's.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by kilocar
    All this and being on Popcorn Playhouse 3x. Nothing like diggin for gold in the sandbox and corny jokes with the moose
    That was Muskeg the Moose
    When I was on Popcorn Playhouse for my 6th birthday, they didn't
    have the gold mine. I remember shooting at a tiger

C2E Hard Core Contributor

anyone else remember when Tracy Stars was the only other strip joint in town along with Chez Pierre's.
    Yep. Corner of Whyte and 103rd. I guess that harkens back to the days when Whyte was a grimy, not-so-happening commercial zone? A certain echo of that era would seem to survive east of 103rd, going up to about Bonnie Doon Mall. Not that I don't like that area, I actually prefer it to the testosterone-crazed bar zone that West Of 103rd Whyte has become.

Hey, if anyone gets this, I'll be impressed...

There are trillions of gods more powerful that Jesus.

If you were spending a lot of time downtown, early 90s or so, you might recognize that.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans
    anyone else remember when Tracy Stars was the only other strip joint in town along with Chez Pierre's.
    Yep. Corner of Whyte and 103rd. I guess that harkens back to the days when Whyte was a grimy, not-so-happening commercial zone? A certain echo of that era would seem to survive east of 103rd, going up to about Bonnie Doon Mall. Not that I don't like that area, I actually prefer it to the testosterone-crazed bar zone that West Of 103rd Whyte has become.

Hey, if anyone gets this, I'll be impressed...

There are trillions of gods more powerful that Jesus.

If you were spending a lot of time downtown, early 90s or so, you might recognize that.
    ^ Was that from Frank the preacher and his sidekick Debra?

You have me curious...

Was that from Frank the preacher and his sidekick Debra?
    No. But I think it might have had some connection with their general mileu.

It was this graffiti that was spraypainted all over downtown, for a few months in the early 90s some time. There were several variations on it...

There are millions of gods more powerful than Jesus.

A trillion gods will burn out the eyes of Jesus.

There are millions of galaxies.

...and so on and so forth.

I once asked a street preacher(not Frank, but maybe one of his sidekicks) if he knew who made that graffiti. He replied that he did indeed know the guy, and had assisted him in getting checked into Alberta Hospital. My own guesss was that the scribbler was probably some unbalanced individual who had been pushed over the edge by arguing with Frank and Brenda.

I also once found a business card that had been printed up, with the graffiti slogans printed on it. So obviously, the guy was a little obsessed with his themes.

Was that from Frank the preacher and his sidekick Debra?
    No. But I think it might have had some connection with their general mileu.

It was this graffiti that was spraypainted all over downtown, for a few months in the early 90s some time. There were several variations on it...

There are millions of gods more powerful than Jesus.

A trillion gods will burn out the eyes of Jesus.

There are millions of galaxies.

...and so on and so forth.

I once asked a street preacher(not Frank, but maybe one of his sidekicks) if he knew who made that graffiti. He replied that he did indeed know the guy, and had assisted him in getting checked into Alberta Hospital. My own guesss was that the scribbler was probably some unbalanced individual who had been pushed over the edge by arguing with Frank and Brenda.

I also once found a business card that had been printed up, with the graffiti slogans printed on it. So obviously, the guy was a little obsessed with his themes.
    This is ringing more bells of recognition now.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Nope. The only strip joints I remember was Rusty's in what is now the Sheraton at Argyll Road and 75 St, and that sleazy hotel in the Kingsway Mall parking lot.

This is ringing more bells of recognition now.
    Yeah, the graffiti was everywhere downtown, early 90s. If you walked down Jasper, you were pretty much guaranteed to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    Nope. The only strip joints I remember was Rusty's in what is now the Sheraton at Argyll Road and 75 St, and that sleazy hotel in the Kingsway Mall parking lot.
    ^ Not that I was ever in the market for strip clubs but was there not a club in the old Bonadventure strip (intentional) mall on the YH and St. Albert Trail?

Partially Addicted to C2E

Grade 8 field trip in '75 to the planitarium, learned a lot about the universe and "Streakers"-----love the fads of the 70's. Won't say how raunchy the strip joints were but lets say at one time there was no separation from the stage and on this subject anyone else remember when Tracy Stars was the only other strip joint in town along with Chez Pierre's.
    Yep, I remember when 'Hourglass'; CBC's 6 o'clock new show filmed some streakers, uncensored going through the U of A.

I remember both Shakespeares and Tracy Starrs. The owner of Chez Pierre lived in the gully next to Mill Creek by 87th Avenue, until he got flooded out in August of '78.

The owner of Chez Pierre lived in the gully next to Mill Creek by 87th Avenue, until he got flooded out in August of '78.
    I think he might have lived there a bit later than that. I remember him being interviewed in the paper, late 80s early 90s or so, and as I recall he was still living down there. But he said that he would soon be moving to the west end.

First One is Always Free

ok, I'm maybe not the right one to be talking about 'back in the day', but why not....I remember the strip bar next to kingsway was called 'night Fever' or something like that, I can remember there was something in a hotel by the Coluseum (Forum?), something on Whyte ???? and Rusty's.

Yeah, ok, I was going to college (NAIT) in the late '80s. It was my duty to be informed of where the strip clubs were. I'm now overseas, my last visit to Edmonchuk was 2 years ago or so, and instead of a strip joint next to Kingsway, there was a crater where it used to be. But I still could find Chez Pierre's. That's pretty much the only establishment of this type in Edmonton anymore, or?

see ya later!

Quote Originally Posted by shorty
    ok, I'm maybe not the right one to be talking about 'back in the day', but why not....I remember the strip bar next to kingsway was called 'night Fever' or something like that, I can remember there was something in a hotel by the Coluseum (Forum?), something on Whyte ???? and Rusty's.

Yeah, ok, I was going to college (NAIT) in the late '80s. It was my duty to be informed of where the strip clubs were. I'm now overseas, my last visit to Edmonchuk was 2 years ago or so, and instead of a strip joint next to Kingsway, there was a crater where it used to be. But I still could find Chez Pierre's. That's pretty much the only establishment of this type in Edmonton anymore, or?

see ya later!
    No, there are lots of those establishments in Edmonton...men's clubs etc.

Welcome to C2E and hope to see you online more (and soon!).

The Embers began as a live music club but it turned into a strip club in its later years.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    Quote Originally Posted by mylilypad
    - I remember "Shakeys" a little pizza place in the parking lot of Woolco. It had glass windows so that you could watch them make your food (very forward thinking for its day)
    OMG Shakeys and their pizza was legendary!!!!! All you can eat, and I took advantage of that. I think it was where the current BP's is now...how approriate.

There was good old Happy Pop nearby too! (or was that pop shoppe???)
    And they used to show Laurel and Hardy clips on the projector on the Southwest wall.

The Happy Pop was there. The Pop Shoppe was where London Drugs on Stony Plain and 149th st currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by trent_vinyl
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    Quote Originally Posted by mylilypad
    - I remember "Shakeys" a little pizza place in the parking lot of Woolco. It had glass windows so that you could watch them make your food (very forward thinking for its day)
    OMG Shakeys and their pizza was legendary!!!!! All you can eat, and I took advantage of that. I think it was where the current BP's is now...how approriate.

There was good old Happy Pop nearby too! (or was that pop shoppe???)
    And they used to show Laurel and Hardy clips on the projector on the Southwest wall.

The Happy Pop was there. The Pop Shoppe was where London Drugs on Stony Plain and 149th st currently is.
    ^ Thanks for adding to the discussion and welcome to C2E!

First One is Always Free

Default what became of...

can anyone tell me what became of some of these names from our past?
    Ed Kaye? (Popcorn Playhouse)
    Eric Neville? (CFRN and Popcorn Playhouse)
    Eddie Keen (CHED radio)
    Chuck Chandler (CHED radio, and brief assistant to Monte Hall on the resurrected version of Let's Make A Deal)

Bill Jackson (Talk show host from CJCA radio)
    Al McCann (CFRN radio, and TV)
    Doug Main (ITV news anchor, wanna-be politician)

Thanks all

Default Re: what became of...

Quote Originally Posted by greydog
    Eddie Keen (CHED radio)
    Chuck Chandler (CHED radio, and brief assistant to Monte Hall on the resurrected version of Let's Make A Deal)

Thanks all
    I know all the names and know that Chuck Chandler is still around.

24karat will be a lot of help for the 'RN questions.

Bill Jackson I think is still around (Sherwood Park?) but is retired.

Eddie Keen (CHED radio)

Thanks all
    Ed Kaye is doing well, and playing trumpet in a seniors band.

Last I heard of Eric Neville, he was wintering in Arizona.

I spoke to Al McCann at the Tony Bennett concert. Al hangs around the Derrik Club.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat

I spoke to Al McCann at the Tony Bennett concert. Al hangs around the Derrik Club.
    ^ I knew you would have info!

First One is Always Free

Default WOW!

WOW, 24KARAT you rock!!

thank you

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Doug Main wasn't just a wanna-be politician, he was a MLA and Minister of Culture (or Community Development, or whatever it was at the time). I believe he now does some communications consulting work.

First One is Always Free

I can remember Bill Matheson's (RIP) weather forecasts as always entertaining.

I also remember the Harley guys seeing who could make the most noise driving thru the rat-hole (that's been gone a long time ago).

I can even remember the construction on 97th street when it went from 2 (?) lanes to the lane control (118th-yellowhead) that it is today (I was just a kid then- the wreckage from the bulldozed houses fascinated me). And yes, I've gotten ticketed for entering the buslane too early for the turnoff to 118th on my way into NAIT.

I'm not sure if Irving Kline Jewellers has been mentioned in this thread. I remember the clock on the walk, and I wonder where it is now.

I'm not sure if Irving Kline Jewellers has been mentioned in this thread. I remember the clock on the walk, and I wonder where it is now.
    The store was, but the clock on the curb was not. I remember that clock, mid-block on Jasper Avenue between 101st and either 100th or 102nd streets.

I think when matheson died, one of the obits mentioned that Jackson was living somewhere other than Sherwood Park, but I can't remember where they said it was. Somehere Central Alberta, I think.

And I'll also put in mention of David Ward, a lawyer and former alderman who hosted the late-night call-in show on CJCA on whatever nights weren't slated to Jackson. He was considerably more liberal than Jackson was. And the show had a more serious air about it. Ward's show opened official sounding announcer introducing him as "the advocate, David C. Ward". Whereas Jackson always opened with a brassy rendition of that "If you're feeling sad and lonely, call me" song.

I think the show was called Nightline. Does anyone know what happened to Ward?

Doug Main wasn't just a wanna-be politician, he was a MLA and Minister of Culture (or Community Development, or whatever it was at the time).
    He also ran against Klein for the leadership in '92.

I think when matheson died, one of the obits mentioned that Jackson was living somewhere other than Sherwood Park, but I can't remember where they said it was. Somehere Central Alberta, I think.

And I'll also put in mention of David Ward, a lawyer and former alderman who hosted the late-night call-in show on CJCA on whatever nights weren't slated to Jackson. He was considerably more liberal than Jackson was. And the show had a more serious air about it. Ward's show opened official sounding announcer introducing him as "the advocate, David C. Ward". Whereas Jackson always opened with a brassy rendition of that "If you're feeling sad and lonely, call me" song.

I think the show was called Nightline. Does anyone know what happened to Ward?
    ^ He has changed his name from David Ward to reflect his Iqualuit heritage and goes by just the one name (which is the practice) but I cannot remember it off the top of my head. (This name change was a good thing for someone close to me who used to get many misdirected calls.)

Apparently, his new name is Kiviaq.

http://tinyurl.com/yue7bn

Quote Originally Posted by djgirl

^ He has changed his name from David Ward to reflect his Iqualuit heritage and goes by just the one name
    Kiviaq

Thank you both...it was going to drive me crazy until I located it!

Eddie Keen (CHED radio)

Thanks all

I remember Ed Kaye and Gaby Haas doing the Noon Show, on CFRN, in the 60's (and maybe even making it into the 70's). The timeless combination of kids and polka.

Also, to go the University talk earlier on, did anyone ever read the "Getaway"? It was a takeoff on the Gateway student paper and was one of the funniest publications out there (and it was free). Damn, I wish I would've kept the copies I picked up in the mid-70's. It was pretty much on par with the National Lampoon of that time.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH
    Also, to go the University talk earlier on, did anyone ever read the "Getaway"? It was a takeoff on the Gateway student paper and was one of the funniest publications out there (and it was free). Damn, I wish I would've kept the copies I picked up in the mid-70's. It was pretty much on par with the National Lampoon of that time.

Yes, I remember the Getaway. It would be on Campus during finals. Seen some pretty raunchy stuff there.

Chandler also hosted Disco Daze, ITV's disco show in the late 70s. I was a kid at the time, and Chandler seemed pretty cool, in that slightly sinister, mirrorshades sort of a way. Then he disappeared from TV for a bit, only to turn up again in the mid-80s on Four O'Clock Rock, ITV's video show. That time around, he seemed considerably less cool. After a couple of seasons, he was replaced by Mike Sobol.

C2E Continued Contributor

Chuck Chandler does the morning radio show on A.M. 880.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60
    I think his real name is Charlie Hanumko

Ah, that would be CHQT, right? Are they still heavy into the easy listening format?

I also recall now that CC interviewed John Lennon and Yoko One at during their Montreal bed-in, late 60s.

First One is Always Free

It is now Cool 880 playing hits from the 80's, 70's and 60's. Actually some good tunes from those eras bring back some memories of starry nights, blankets, wine and I think I will stop now.

First One is Always Free

^ Not that I was ever in the market for strip clubs but was there not a club in the old Bonadventure strip (intentional) mall on the YH and St. Albert Trail?

Foxes was the name. Pinky's was at Kingsway Hotel.

Foxes was the name. Pinky's was at Kingsway Hotel.
    ^ Yup, thanks for the names.

First One is Always Free

Can anyone fill me in on Eddie Keen? I used to enjoy his ranting on CHED in the 70's.

Can anyone fill me in on Eddie Keen? I used to enjoy his ranting on CHED in the 70's.
    Apparently he is one of the contributors to Ted Byfield's history of Christianity. Why he would have been chosen for this, I don't know, because he never seemed to be someone with a lot of interest in theology.

Eddie Keen of Smoky Lake, AB, was for 17 years a reporter and editor at the Edmonton Journal, and then for twenty years a highly popular commentator on CHED radio in Edmonton, during which time he also wrote a column for the Edmonton Sun.
    http://tinyurl.com/32fal3

Not sure what else he's up to.

First One is Always Free

thanks for this update!

Speaking of former local news media folk, why is that when they're not bugging off to Vancouver or some national news network, so many of them turn to local public relations? Shawna Randolph, Doug Downs and Jerry Bellicka are just some of the former newsreaders who are now P.R. spokespeople for one organization or another.

Speaking of former local news media folk, why is that when they're not bugging off to Vancouver or some national news network, so many of them turn to local public relations? Shawna Randolph, Doug Downs and Jerry Bellicka are just some of the former newsreaders who are now P.R. spokespeople for one organization or another.
    Oh, I could name a few more...

The spokesperson part I understand as they are comfortable in front of a camera/microphone (unlike some spokespeople I could also mention) former newsreaders (as SDM called them) also get the "game" they know NOTHING is ever off-the record (if you don't want it repeated DON'T say it.

Furthermore, they know that as a spokesperson for an organization they do not have a personal opinion on the topic being discussed...this is just Media Relations 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman99

Yes, I remember the Getaway. It would be on Campus during finals. Seen some pretty raunchy stuff there.
    When I was working at Lister Hall, it was a weekly paper for the entire school year. Not sure when it stopped publishing.

When I was working at Lister Hall, it was a weekly paper for the entire school year. Not sure when it stopped publishing.
    Are you sure you're thinking of the Getaway, and not the Gateway? The Getaway was a parody paper. When I was on campus, early 90s, it was published one or two times per year.

The spokesperson part I understand as they are comfortable in front of a camera/microphone (unlike some spokespeople I could also mention) former newsreaders (as SDM called them) also get the "game" they know NOTHING is ever off-the record (if you don't want it repeated DON'T say it.

Furthermore, they know that as a spokesperson for an organization they do not have a personal opinion on the topic being discussed...this is just Media Relations 101.
    But why are the TV anchor people attracted to the PR work?

Most TV anchors and newsreaders write their own stuff (especially in a market like Edmonton) so they have (or should have) good competent writing skills...something that IMO many PR and especially Marketing professionals do not.

I am a professional and active member/volunteer of the local Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS), I am a member of the local chapters of the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), Canadian Women in Communications (CWC) and the Society of Technical Communicators (STC).

I have been through MacEwans PR program and have completed my writing diploma at MacEwan (and am more than half-way to my degree). I have mentored and sat on the advisory committees for both the PR and the Professional Writing (PROW) programs and just in my interaction with the professional associations I mentioned IMO the writing skills and confidence level from those in the PR program is non-existent. The program is also only one year as opposed to two for Radio & Television at NAIT.

You will find many journalists also switch over to PR, Media Relations or Communications work because there is more stability and better hours (supposedly).

Just my 2 cents educated opinion!

First One is Always Free

Default News Anchors

Can anyone tell me how long Linda Steele @ Global has been doing the news with Gord Steinke? She is sooooo hot!!!

Default Re: News Anchors

Can anyone tell me how long Linda Steele @ Global has been doing the news with Gord Steinke? She is sooooo hot!!!
    Lynda Steele has been anchoring with Gord for twelve years...before that she was a reporter for ITV (Global) and has worked her way up through the ranks. Which is great for an Edmonton born gal!

As to the soooo hot comment...not my type (gender) and I am not into blondes. BTW, she is married.

First One is Always Free

Default Linda Steele

thanks for the info. Well let's just say from my point of view, she makes watching the news worthwhile!!
    ps. didn't say I wanted to marry her, just stare!! haha

Default Re: Linda Steele

thanks for the info. Well let's just say from my point of view, she makes watching the news worthwhile!!
    ps. didn't say I wanted to marry her, just stare!! haha
    ^ Yeah, that I get.

Can't stand her voice.

Can't stand her voice.
    Too nasally for you? I donít mind it.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Her voice is not nasally. I describe it as a smooth, smoky kind of voice. I love it. Su-Ling Goh would be someone with a nasally voice (but she is smokin' hot!).

btw, I remember when Lynda Steele first started readind the news at CBC Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66
    Her voice is not nasally. I describe it as a smooth, smoky kind of voice. I love it. Su-Ling Goh would be someone with a nasally voice (but she is smokin' hot!).

btw, I remember when Lynda Steele first started readind the news at CBC Edmonton.
    You boys as long as "she is smokin' hot...

Now Ian Hanamansing (sp?) on CBC has a wonderful voice and he is nice to look at too..................excuse me as I am off dreaming...

Anybody know what happened to Jacqueline Clarke?, she was anchor at ITV before Linda Steele.

Anybody know what happened to Jacqueline Clarke?, she was anchor at ITV before Linda Steele.
    Hum, no I cannot remember off hand...I thought she had moved to another market (west coast?).

First One is Always Free

Default TV anchors

CBC... what is that?? The only thing good about the CBC is HNIC and even that is getting bad with all the commercials!!

Where did Leslie McDonald fit into the Global(ITV) situation? She was there in the 80's for sure cause she was pretty nice looking for an older woman!! hehe

I figured you girls would ga-ga over the kid from CFRN that does the weather. Is it Josh Claussen or something like that!! He's a hotty if you like 'em really young !! haha

First One is Always Free

Default anchors

Now Jae 'lyn Nye or however you spell it is sweet too! Funny that she hasn't taken over the mornings with Shae Gannon. Andrea Engle doesn't seem to want to be there. Or at least that's the vibe that I get!

I recall that she left ITV to take a position at the University of Alberta. Doing what exactly? I have no idea.

Not sure if she's still there.

Default Re: TV anchors

CBC... what is that?? The only thing good about the CBC is HNIC and even that is getting bad with all the commercials!!

Where did Leslie McDonald fit into the Global(ITV) situation? She was there in the 80's for sure cause she was pretty nice looking for an older woman!! hehe

She was doing five o'clock local news (on Global) up until a couple of years ago now she focuses on her "Woman of Vision" pieces. Older woman he says...

I figured you girls would ga-ga over the kid from CFRN that does the weather. Is it Josh Claussen or something like that!! He's a hotty if you like 'em really young !! haha
    Josh maybe cute but he reminds me of "Howdy Doody" or "Richie Cunningham" playing grown up weatherman!

Can't stand her voice.
    Too nasally for you? I donít mind it.
    No - too raspy - like fingernails on a blackboard.

Default Re: anchors

Now Jae 'lyn Nye or however you spell it is sweet too! Funny that she hasn't taken over the mornings with Shae Gannon. Andrea Engle doesn't seem to want to be there. Or at least that's the vibe that I get!
    J'Lyn Nye is a good announcer. I don't know if I agree with your comment on Andrea...Shae never looks like he is "there" though.

Default Re: TV anchors

Josh maybe cute but he reminds me of "Howdy Doody" or "Richie Cunningham" playing grown up weatherman!
    Hahaha! True, but he is a fantastic weatherman. There hasn't been a weatherman with genuine personality since Bill Matheson. Classen fits right in. He is also fantastic with the kids when he does his weather-watcher gig with them at the various schools.

Perhaps a little off-topic but I think the 'RN weekend news with Joel Gotlib is the best. At times he just cracks me up with his dry wit and eye-rolling.

I hope they don't let Su-Ling go(h), I've always liked her. I remember when she started out as a videographer with A-Channel and then she had her own entertainment news show on Global out of Calgary (why that show wasn't done here, who knows).

I remember when Ashleigh Banfield was a CFRN anchor. She gained worldwide fame during 9-11 as she reported live from the WTC, then her media career nosedived after that.

I hope they don't let Su-Ling go(h), I've always liked her. I remember when she started out as a videographer with A-Channel and then she had her own entertainment news show on Global out of Calgary (why that show wasn't done here, who knows).

I remember when Ashleigh Banfield was a CFRN anchor. She gained worldwide fame during 9-11 as she reported live from the WTC, then her media career nosedived after that.
    ^ Yup...

I cannot remember her name but there was an anchor at CFRN about seven years ago that was a real "blonde babe" who was seeing an Esk and moved to Seattle or Spokane to do Fox News...anyone remember her name?

Lesley Miller, she's the girlfriend of Sean Fleming. Yes she was hot but seemed to have a cold personality.

Lesley Miller, she's the girlfriend of Sean Fleming. Yes she was hot but seemed to have a cold personality.
    Yeah, that was my impression too gave new meaning to the term "icy blonde....".

I kind of thought that way... then I saw her last broadcast. Not so cold after all.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcrude
    I kind of thought that way... then I saw her last broadcast. Not so cold after all.
    How so? (I did not see it.)

Leslie's working for ABC Los Angeles

First One is Always Free

There was Olivia Cheng (reporter for Global). Does anyone know where she went off to? I thought she was hot.

There was Olivia Cheng (reporter for Global). Does anyone know where she went off to? I thought she was hot.
    I posted a story about her just last week.

Here is the link.
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ghlight=olivia

Most TV anchors and newsreaders write their own stuff (especially in a market like Edmonton) so they have (or should have) good competent writing skills...something that IMO many PR and especially Marketing professionals do not.

I am a professional and active member/volunteer of the local Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS), I am a member of the local chapters of the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), Canadian Women in Communications (CWC) and the Society of Technical Communicators (STC).

I have been through MacEwans PR program and have completed my writing diploma at MacEwan (and am more than half-way to my degree). I have mentored and sat on the advisory committees for both the PR and the Professional Writing (PROW) programs and just in my interaction with the professional associations I mentioned IMO the writing skills and confidence level from those in the PR program is non-existent. The program is also only one year as opposed to two for Radio & Television at NAIT.

You will find many journalists also switch over to PR, Media Relations or Communications work because there is more stability and better hours (supposedly).

from Graham Hicks column today...

NO MORE HOGLES AT CTV

It's a sad day in the Edmonton media. Two of the most solid, best-loved names in the game are moving on, one for good, one temporarily.

For 51 years, there's been a Hogle at CTV Edmonton (originally CFRN-TV).

Bill Hogle was news director when son Bruce Hogle joined the station. Bruce Hogle was news director when son Steve Hogle joined the station.

And now, after a long and successful career, popular news director Steve Hogle is resigning, to join the Alberta Research Council as vice- president of communications.

Steve's not saying much, as it's not fully official. But he has told others it's an opportunity to climb new mountains, that he's done about as much as it's possible to do at CTV Edmonton.

To my mind, his departure speaks volumes.

That a man as talented as Steve, with his love of the business, with the depth of tradition that he greatly enjoyed, would choose to leave the TV newsroom is representative of the steady decline of regional TV news journalism as an honourable, lifelong career.

The pay isn't comparable to communications jobs, absentee owners are forever squeezing the airtime, resources and personnel allotments to regional news and local programming. It ain't what it used to be. If it was, I don't think Steve would be leaving.

As far as I can recall, I remember her blubbering on live TV on her last day. One can possibly describe her delivery as "cold", but you could also argue that she was trying to maintain a modicum of professionalism at all times.

Anyone who saw that last episode can safely say that the emotions shown on screen certainly weren't fake. If they were, she deserves an Oscar. I think it's safe to say that she liked it here... a lot, and it pained her to leave. Anyways, applause goes out to her.

from Graham Hicks column today...

NO MORE HOGLES AT CTV

It's a sad day in the Edmonton media. Two of the most solid, best-loved names in the game are moving on, one for good, one temporarily.

For 51 years, there's been a Hogle at CTV Edmonton (originally CFRN-TV).

Bill Hogle was news director when son Bruce Hogle joined the station. Bruce Hogle was news director when son Steve Hogle joined the station.

And now, after a long and successful career, popular news director Steve Hogle is resigning, to join the Alberta Research Council as vice- president of communications.

Steve's not saying much, as it's not fully official. But he has told others it's an opportunity to climb new mountains, that he's done about as much as it's possible to do at CTV Edmonton.

To my mind, his departure speaks volumes.

That a man as talented as Steve, with his love of the business, with the depth of tradition that he greatly enjoyed, would choose to leave the TV newsroom is representative of the steady decline of regional TV news journalism as an honourable, lifelong career.

The pay isn't comparable to communications jobs, absentee owners are forever squeezing the airtime, resources and personnel allotments to regional news and local programming. It ain't what it used to be. If it was, I don't think Steve would be leaving.
    Thanks for posting this (I didn't get a chance earlier)...yeah it about covers what I have been saying.

Steve Hogle is a talented, classy and professional man and the ARC will be lucky to have him join them!

As far as I can recall, I remember her blubbering on live TV on her last day. One can possibly describe her delivery as "cold", but you could also argue that she was trying to maintain a modicum of professionalism at all times.

Anyone who saw that last episode can safely say that the emotions shown on screen certainly weren't fake. If they were, she deserves an Oscar. I think it's safe to say that she liked it here... a lot, and it pained her to leave. Anyways, applause goes out to her.
    Thank you for this information...I did not see her last appearance and never really watched CFRN news much at the time so my impressions were based on the males in my life reaction to her.

(Which is not fair of me or to her, she cannot help how great she looks (read hot babe) what should only matter is how well she did her job. By all accounts she was great at that too!)

First One is Always Free

Back in the late 80s, there was a journalist for CFRN. Recently I saw him in the news about a flea market that closed down. I only watched a bit of the excerpt. It seemed that he retired and opened up a shop at that flea market.
    He had this deep voice (kind of like Richard Burton). His name was Fred Kasohoff (???). Anyone know anything about him and why he retired?

Back in the late 80s, there was a journalist for CFRN. Recently I saw him in the news about a flea market that closed down. I only watched a bit of the excerpt. It seemed that he retired and opened up a shop at that flea market.
    He had this deep voice (kind of like Richard Burton). His name was Fred Kasohoff (???). Anyone know anything about him and why he retired?
    You are talking about Fred Kazacoff (sp?). He retired in the late 1980s when CFRN was going through that phase of sending out the veterans to pasture (Dafanie Little, Bob Stelmech, Eric Neville)and hiring the young bucks.

I remember a Journal story a few years ago about Fred being a diehard collector of vinyl records. He'll stalk the flea markets and garage sales to add to his vast library of vinyl.

Where did you see the recent news story about Fred, Superman99?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I've been spending the last half hour trying to figure out this former CFRN anchor's name ... Katherine Mistol! Always liked her -- thought she would get the top co-anchor slot after someone else there left, but then she disappeared. I see she started using "Kate" instead of Katherine and was on A-Channel in Calgary. She then moved to Fresno and later Austin, TX. Won some Emmys and now works with her husband producing video documentaries.

First One is Always Free

Eaton's Xmas Santa Village and Display in the eighties - reminded me of the movie Christmas Story.

Winter Festival - The Muckluck Mardi Gras when Churchill Square wasn't 3 mile Heat Island.

Mom dressing me in good clothes because we had to go shopping Downtown at the big Army Navy and if we we're good we might walk around the Hudson Bay or Eatons.

Channel 13 ITV and watching SCTV, Hi Q, 4 O clock Rock, Saturday Morning Cartoons.

The Gainers factory used to scare me.

First One is Always Free

You are talking about Fred Kazacoff (sp?). He retired in the late 1980s when CFRN was going through that phase of sending out the veterans to pasture (Dafanie Little, Bob Stelmech, Eric Neville)and hiring the young bucks.

I remember a Journal story a few years ago about Fred being a diehard collector of vinyl records. He'll stalk the flea markets and garage sales to add to his vast library of vinyl.

It was about a couple of months ago. I believe it was on CITY - TV or Global.

It was about a couple of months ago. I believe it was on CITY - TV or Global.[/quote]

I seem to recall it on Global and it was part of a 118th Flea Market story.

"Fred Kazakoff - Announcer CJDC AM & TV Dawson Creek 1959; news CHED Edmonton 1962-64; news CFAC Calgary 1964; CFCF AM & TV Montreal 1970ís; CFRN AM & TV Edmonton 1970ís-90s; Newsreal Productions Edmonton current. Member, Edmonton Broadcasters Club."

Source: Edmonton Broadcasters Club Website http://www.edmontonbroadcasters.com

^ By-the-by...we have a member of the Edmonton Broadcasters Club here on C2E (well one that I know for certain)...he is a very prolific poster...

Are you sure you're thinking of the Getaway, and not the Gateway? The Getaway was a parody paper. When I was on campus, early 90s, it was published one or two times per year.
    I worked at Lister Hall in the mid to late 70's. The Getaway came out weekly. And it was totally different from the Gateway, which also came out weekly.

I worked at Lister Hall in the mid to late 70's. The Getaway came out weekly. And it was totally different from the Gateway, which also came out weekly.
    I stand corrected. Thanks for the history lesson!

Not a problem. I didn't know it was still coming out

I abolutely loved 'The Getaway'! The 'advertising' was great!

Ones of note: The Brick 'End of the World' Sale

And 'ETS Student Packing' for only $15.00 a month.

On Monday a friend was amused at the radio newscaster making a big deal out of Alberta's three weekend fatalities - only one in traffic. She told me that in the early sixties double digit traffic fatalities in Alberta were the norm every weekend; and that, Canada wide, long weekend fatalities were often projected to exceed 150. Is her memory correct or has the number grown along with her age?

If she is correct, it speaks very highly of road construction, traffic management, trauma treatment and automobile technology that while even though our population has increased so dramatically, the number of fatalities is so low.

She told me that in the early sixties double digit traffic fatalities in Alberta were the norm every weekend; and that, Canada wide, long weekend fatalities were often projected to exceed 150. Is her memory correct or has the number grown along with her age?
    Well, I am not old enough to have been around at that time. However, my impression is that there really wasn't all that much awareness around drunk driving in those days, not to mention little concern for seat belts. But even taking those factors into account, double-digit fatalities every weekend sounds awfully high to me. You'd think people would have been afraid to get into a car with stats like that being public knowledge.

In the early eighties Edmonton was recording approx. 70 fatalities a year. In the past five years that number is down to approx. 25, with a much larger population. I'm sure the seatbelt law and airbags have had a great deal to do with the decrease in fatalities.

Quote Originally Posted by glenorarat

I abolutely loved 'The Getaway'! The 'advertising' was great!

Ones of note: The Brick 'End of the World' Sale

And 'ETS Student Packing' for only $15.00 a month.
    The "End of the World' Sale sticks out, as well as a fake interview where Tiger Williams talks about some of the stars and their sexual orientation (e.g. Gordie Howe being from Floral, Sask.).

I wonder if the Student's Union (or someone there) kept any back copies.

First One is Always Free

Default I REMEMBER

I REMEMBER WHEN GAS WAS SOLD BY THE GALLON LIKE 30 OR 40 CENTS A GALLON . . . SPEEDWAY . . . WHEN JASPER PLACE WAS A PLACE OF ITS OWN . . . AGT . . . NORTHWESTERN UTILITIES . . . CITY BOUNDRIES WERE 170 ST, 34 ST. 137 AVE AND 50 AVE. . . . POPCORN PLAY HOUSE . . . KIDS BIDS . . . NO BANK CARD . . OR ATM OR VLT'S . . . NO CASINOS . . . ALL THINGS CLOSED ON SUNDAY EXCEPT THAT SMALL CORNER STORE . . . 15 CENTS FOR A STUDENT TO RIDE THE ETS . . . 15 CENT CUP OF COFFEE . . . NO DRIVE THRUS . . . A&W CAR HOPS . . . WHEN YOU DIDN''T HAVE TO LOCK YOUR DOORS . . . THE MILK BOTTLE OF SILVER WOODS ON 109 STREET . . . THE CJCA TIGER SIGN . . . THE SILK HAT RESTAURANT . . . MIKE NEWS STAND . . . CENTENNIAL MALL . . . THE OVERPASS AT 170 STREET AND STONY PLAIN ROAD . . . 1/2 HOUR DRIVE TO STONY PLAIN OR ST. ALBERT . . . WHEN THE TRAIN CAME ACROSS THE HIGH LEVEL BRIDGE AND OVER JASPER AVENUE AND ACROSS 107TH AVENUE . . . AND THE RATHOLE . . . THE TRAIN YARDS ON 104 AVE. . . . THE ROLLERDROME . . . WESTMOUNT MALL LARGEST IN ALL OF WESTERN CANADA WITH OVER 300 PARKING STALLS . . . THE PLANTARIUM . . . A DOZEN MOVIE DRIVE - INS . . . THE DUSK TILL DAWNERS . . . BEER 25 CENTS A GLASS . . . BUYING $60.00 OF GROCERIES TO LAST YOU ALL MONTH . . . A 12 CENT COMIC BOOK . . . NIGHT FEVER . . . KINGSWAY INN . . . THE PAN-AMERICAN HOTEL . . . A LOT OF AIR TRAFFIC AT THE MUNY AIRPORT . . . SUZUKI 100'S RULED THE ROAD . . . HONDA 65 CC . . . NO LRT . . . NO REXALL PLACE . . . MAYFAIR PARK . . . THE TEGLER BUILDING . . . STEVIE WONDER FIRST CONCERT AT THE COLLISUM . . . NO BIKE PATHS . . . B & W T.V. . . . CABLEVISION . . . QCTV . . . PONG . . . PAC-MAN . . . THE NEW 1966 CHARGER . . . THE MUSCLE CAR DAYS . . . SEEING MY FIRST DODGE DAYTONA YOU KNOW THE ONE WITH THE 3 FOOT WING . . . THE BRICKLIN . . . MR. BEAN AUSTIN MINI'S . . . PUNCH BUGGIES EVERYWHERE . . . PEOPLE DRESSED FOR KLONDIKE DAYS . . . KLONDIKE MIKE AND HIS MULE . . . EDMONTONS JOURNALS SLOGAN CONTEST . . . EDDIE KEEN . . . THE CHICKENMAN . . . GOOD MORNING, GOOD MORNING IT'S A WES MONGOMERY MORNING . . . 3 TV CHANNELS . . . THE J3 THE J5 AND THE J7 BUS ROUTES . . . THE OLD YELLOW AND RED ETS TROLLEY BUSES . . . CHICKEN ON THE WAY . . . IF YOUR HUNGRY , CALL THE LIDO 426 5050 . . . JUST TO MENTION A FEW . . . THANKS FOR READING RANDY

Default Re: I REMEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by randy lukian
    I REMEMBER WHEN GAS WAS SOLD BY THE GALLON LIKE 30 OR 40 CENTS A GALLON . . . SPEEDWAY . . . WHEN JASPER PLACE WAS A PLACE OF ITS OWN . . . AGT . . . NORTHWESTERN UTILITIES . . . CITY BOUNDRIES WERE 170 ST, 34 ST. 137 AVE AND 50 AVE. . . . POPCORN PLAY HOUSE . . . KIDS BIDS . . . NO BANK CARD . . OR ATM OR VLT'S . . . NO CASINOS . . . ALL THINGS CLOSED ON SUNDAY EXCEPT THAT SMALL CORNER STORE . . . 15 CENTS FOR A STUDENT TO RIDE THE ETS . . . 15 CENT CUP OF COFFEE . . . NO DRIVE THRUS . . . A&W CAR HOPS . . . WHEN YOU DIDN''T HAVE TO LOCK YOUR DOORS . . . THE MILK BOTTLE OF SILVER WOODS ON 109 STREET . . . THE CJCA TIGER SIGN . . . THE SILK HAT RESTAURANT . . . MIKE NEWS STAND . . . CENTENNIAL MALL . . . THE OVERPASS AT 170 STREET AND STONY PLAIN ROAD . . . 1/2 HOUR DRIVE TO STONY PLAIN OR ST. ALBERT . . . WHEN THE TRAIN CAME ACROSS THE HIGH LEVEL BRIDGE AND OVER JASPER AVENUE AND ACROSS 107TH AVENUE . . . AND THE RATHOLE . . . THE TRAIN YARDS ON 104 AVE. . . . THE ROLLERDROME . . . WESTMOUNT MALL LARGEST IN ALL OF WESTERN CANADA WITH OVER 300 PARKING STALLS . . . THE PLANTARIUM . . . A DOZEN MOVIE DRIVE - INS . . . THE DUSK TILL DAWNERS . . . BEER 25 CENTS A GLASS . . . BUYING $60.00 OF GROCERIES TO LAST YOU ALL MONTH . . . A 12 CENT COMIC BOOK . . . NIGHT FEVER . . . KINGSWAY INN . . . THE PAN-AMERICAN HOTEL . . . A LOT OF AIR TRAFFIC AT THE MUNY AIRPORT . . . SUZUKI 100'S RULED THE ROAD . . . HONDA 65 CC . . . NO LRT . . . NO REXALL PLACE . . . MAYFAIR PARK . . . THE TEGLER BUILDING . . . STEVIE WONDER FIRST CONCERT AT THE COLLISUM . . . NO BIKE PATHS . . . B & W T.V. . . . CABLEVISION . . . QCTV . . . PONG . . . PAC-MAN . . . THE NEW 1966 CHARGER . . . THE MUSCLE CAR DAYS . . . SEEING MY FIRST DODGE DAYTONA YOU KNOW THE ONE WITH THE 3 FOOT WING . . . THE BRICKLIN . . . MR. BEAN AUSTIN MINI'S . . . PUNCH BUGGIES EVERYWHERE . . . PEOPLE DRESSED FOR KLONDIKE DAYS . . . KLONDIKE MIKE AND HIS MULE . . . EDMONTONS JOURNALS SLOGAN CONTEST . . . EDDIE KEEN . . . THE CHICKENMAN . . . GOOD MORNING, GOOD MORNING IT'S A WES MONGOMERY MORNING . . . 3 TV CHANNELS . . . THE J3 THE J5 AND THE J7 BUS ROUTES . . . THE OLD YELLOW AND RED ETS TROLLEY BUSES . . . CHICKEN ON THE WAY . . . IF YOUR HUNGRY , CALL THE LIDO 426 5050 . . . JUST TO MENTION A FEW . . . THANKS FOR READING RANDY
    Randy,

Wow, you remember a lot!

Thank you for your contributions and welcome to C2E!

Remember when bars had their own plastic custom-made swizzle sticks?

NORTHWESTERN UTILITIES
    Were they the ones who had that natural gas genie guy as their logo? I remember you used to see him on stick-on name tags, at events that had nothing to do with natural gas.

Default Re: I REMEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by randy lukian
    THANKS FOR READING RANDY
    I REMEMBER WHEN KEYBOARDS USED TO HAVE A CAPS LOCK KEY SO YOU COULD TYPE IN lower case AND UPPER CASE. IT USED TO BE THAT WHEN PEOPLE USED ALL UPPER CASE ON THE INTERNET, PEOPLE WOULD CONSIDER THIS SHOUTING/YELLING. I TELL YA, THOSE WERE THE GOOD OLD DAYS...

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast