Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I remember when...

Addicted to C2E

When did they redo that park?

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by microbus
    Hmmm, I think it finished the summer of 89 or 90. I remember going to the opening ceremonies with friends in Jr High, I'm just not sure if it was grade 8 or 9. I lived on 109A Ave, right next to the park there are 3 houses (well I guess someone built a new one on the corner of 122 St) I lived in the middle one for about 18 years. The clubhouse was right where the playground is.
    Jennifer Brule

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Re: things i remenber about edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by glenorarat
    ... len thuesen 9 till midinght.... ... trigger some memories?
    Holy shmoly you bet it does!!!!

<- CLICK HERE for a 12 second treat

I was heavily influenced by Len Thuesen's selection of music on his program. As a youngster in my early teens I listened and learned as he introduced many musical acts that broadened my musical tastes in rock.

<- CLICK HERE for a 1:02 Len Thuesen treat

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by alongtimeago
    Hmmm, I think it finished the summer of 89 or 90. I remember going to the opening ceremonies with friends in Jr High, I'm just not sure if it was grade 8 or 9. I lived on 109A Ave, right next to the park there are 3 houses (well I guess someone built a new one on the corner of 122 St) I lived in the middle one for about 18 years. The clubhouse was right where the playground is.
    i just found a "medal" I got from the Grads Park opening. It opened in 1989
    Jennifer Brule

Didn't read through the whole thread but I think I will some time.

I guess I qualify as a somewhat oldtimer.

Anybody remember the Confederation Train during the Centennial year?
    Or the flag debates.
    I remember one day all day our school marching down the streets of good ol Jasper place singing CANNNN AAAAAAAA DAAHHHHH! and hollering our heads off. Singing was optional.

I remember our elementary school being situated on historic end of steel park.
    and getting a FREE revel or icecream bar from the principal on "games Day"(and thinking this was extraordinary largesse) then grabbing your report card and dragging the 25lbs contents accumulated in your locker plus free books being tossed by the library) home and relishing the opportunity and adventures of the SUMMER HOLIDAY!!!

I remember the Jasper Theatre with the 25cent movies but us kids that didn't have much would sometimes get in by someone letting us through the back door. plus we would get our popcorn before hand from the Dunlop Tire store(Where Boston Pizza was later) which had an easily triggered popcorn vending machine. The free popcirn somehow tasted better..

I remember muddy streets and muddy boots being required kid fashion and to demuck said boots slightly, i.e. to less than 3 inches thick muck,so as to at least look presentable, before going into reputable "jasper theatre"

I remember Art Pauls book exchange and trading in comic books (won in hard scrabble marbles contests) for new ones. I remember getting kicked out for tracking in too much muck from boots.

Or walking mackinnon ravine with sled in tow to again meet fate at "Guv-R-Mint hill." I remember the haybales at the bottom that would many a time prevent one from possibly traversing river..

Watching them build Museum, then often going to free museum.

Long biketrips in unknown directions and trying to retrace routes near dusk after getting lost.

Seeing the "Batmobile" on display at the IGA.

BBhill

Centennial mall.

The wooden creaky sidewalk and unlit traversing by Westlawn graveyard to get to Centennial mall, jumping at the slightest noise and seeing things in the dark.. (I watched way too much "Night Gallery" as a kid..)

Halloweens that went from 4pm to 11 pm and mathematically detailing and plotting route so that you reached home each time you had to dump off the 25 lbs candy you were dragging in the strongest, biggest, two huge bags you could find. Then quickly off for more loot. In my memory always a full moon..

Watching planet of the Apes 3 times in a row at the paramount. (they used to let kids sit there as long as they wanted)

Seeing 2001 Space Odyssey at Meadowlark Cinerama as a 5-6 year old and it blowing my mind.

Drive in theatre before Whitehall Square was built and watching movies there without the sound. Learning new things about "facts of life" during real late features..or from the "blue movies" on Quality Cable..

Having parents sign for permission to take "family life education" in school and being bitterly disappointed with the *quality* of films...with all of us continuing to educate ourselves in the non innocent early 1970's

Camping with family at Alberta Beach and with older brother sneaking out to listen to bands play at the ol Alberta Beach hall adjacent to campground and hearing bands do covers of Eric Clapton and the like.

Sunshine of your love baseline reverberating and vibrating the building..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8SUc2SV4k

ah memories..

Later that night or early morning making a living collecting tons of beer or pop bottles scattered on any road and highway leaving the place.

Addicted to C2E

*sings*
    Ca-na-da, one little two little three Canadians,
    weee love thee,
    Ca-na-da, four little five little six Canadians,
    stronggg and freeee,
    North, south, east, west,
    there'll be happy times,
    church bells will ring ring ring,
    It's the hundredth anniversary of Confederation,
    everybody sing....... together...

I think that's the words anyways, from 1967...
    I should dig out my old 45s and find out

*sings*
    Ca-na-da, one little two little three Canadians,
    weee love thee,
    Ca-na-da, four little five little six Canadians,
    stronggg and freeee,
    North, south, east, west,
    there'll be happy times,
    church bells will ring ring ring,
    It's the hundredth anniversary of Confederation,
    everybody sing....... together...

I think that's the words anyways, from 1967...
    I should dig out my old 45s and find out
    Thank you. Thats the one!

A whole school of kids screeching their heads off with no notion of singing ability tone, note, having a great ol time.

Not sure how much of a public service it was though Nobody was exactly coming out of their doors clapping!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18-oRTLIe3I

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement

Or the flag debates.
    I remember one day all day our school marching down the streets of good ol Jasper place singing CANNNN AAAAAAAA DAAHHHHH! and hollering our heads off. Singing was optional.

I think nearly every school in Canada did that. To Bobby Gimby's
    "CAN-A-DA" and "This Land is Your Land". in the spring of '67. I lived in Winnipeg when the Centennial Train came.

Addicted to C2E

I lived in Balwin then, when it was at the edge of the city.
    And I went to North Edmonton School, which is now closed

I remember muddy streets and muddy boots being required kid fashion and to demuck said boots slightly, i.e. to less than 3 inches thick muck,so as to at least look presentable, before going into reputable "jasper theatre"

I remember Art Pauls book exchange and trading in comic books (won in hard scrabble marbles contests) for new ones. I remember getting kicked out for tracking in too much muck from boots.
    Did you not know that JP was the "Mud capital of Canada" until the City of Edmonton annexed it??

Or the flag debates.

I think nearly every school in Canada did that. To Bobby Gimby's
    "CAN-A-DA" and "This Land is Your Land". in the spring of '67. I lived in Winnipeg when the Centennial Train came.
    I do not remember singing CAN-A-DA" in '67 and I was in school (K) and living in the center of the universe at the time.

I do remember "This Land is your Land" though and singing it at the top of my (considerable even then!) lungs along with my cousins the summer of '67.

I also remember cheering when "my" team won the Stanley Cup that year too...had to switch allegiances (Oilers baby) so I could cheer for a winning hockey club again!

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by djgirl
    I do not remember singing CAN-A-DA" in '67 and I was in school (K) and living in the center of the universe at the time.

I do remember "This Land is your Land" though and singing it at the top of my (considerable even then!) lungs along with my cousins the summer of '67.

I also remember cheering when "my" team won the Stanley Cup that year too...had to switch allegiances (Oilers baby) so I could cheer for a winning hockey club again!
    Well, djgirl, that's one way to tell us your age LOL :P :P
    Didn't Montreal win the cup back then?

Quote Originally Posted by djgirl

Well, djgirl, that's one way to tell us your age LOL :P :P
    Didn't Montreal win the cup back then?
    MONTREAL...hardly it was The TORONTO Maple Leafs!

I will say that I started school really early and because of my birthday trying to figure out my age by the year is not much help!

But yeah I am the other side of *gasp* 40! And proud of it! :P

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I remember when my Dad had a car that could be cranked to start it.

I remember when kids could have cap guns or BB guns without getting in trouble with the law. We'd play cowboys and indians or good guys vs bad guys. It was a normal thing to do in those days.

I remember when beer parlours had two entrances; Gentlemen, and Ladies and excorts.

I remember when breakfast cereals had premiums. Kellogg's Pep had comic character pinback buttons.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat
    I bet it was an old fifties British car like an Austin or a Morris. My neighbor across the street had a '54 Austin A40 he used to crank-start when it got to below 0 deg. F!

Not bad!! It was a Hillman Minx.

I remember the Jasper Theatre with the 25cent movies but us kids that didn't have much would sometimes get in by someone letting us through the back door.
    That door was right under the square clock that said "Teem" on it.

Remember Teem? It was like Mountain Dew mixed with a little 7-UP.

No, actually. But I do remember something called Wink that sounds similar to that. I can only remember ever trying it at my granparents house. Mid-70s or so.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans
    No, actually. But I do remember something called Wink that sounds similar to that. I can only remember ever trying it at my granparents house. Mid-70s or so.
    ^ Wink is a Canada Dry product and is very popular and still available in Ontario.

I like it and will usually buy it when I am in the east.

I loved it as a kid and would "sneak" snips from the bottle in the fridge.

God, is Wikipedia amazing or what?

http://tinyurl.com/3xlu5e

Addicted to C2E

Wink, Teem and Tab...

Or, there was some brand of ginger beer that I used to buy
    at the M&M store in the Bonaventure Shopping Centre.
    It looked just like a bottle of beer, and I would walk back home
    drinking it openly to see if a cop would notice.
    Cops questioned me 3 or 4 times that year, always walking
    away a bit red-faced

Wink, Teem and Tab...

away a bit red-faced
    That was "Uncle Ben's". Ben Ginter was a staunch independent brewer out of Red Deer that always had a hard time with the Molson's, Labatts, O'Keefe's, etc. (This was BEFORE the American brands muscled their way into the market thanks to our annual summer beer strikes) He also fought a never ending battle with the ABA and the ALCB who set the retail prices for him. He wanted to undercut the big guys on price, but 'big brother' said "NO". His solution? Scotch tape a dime under every can!! He also offered shares in his company by having customers send in a dozen Uncle Ben's beer (or Gentle Ben's light beer) bottle caps for 1 share in the company. Again, the Alberta Securities Commision frowned on that one as well. And it was Ben who bottled soft drinks in standard 'stubby's' for sale in the corner store!! Unforturnately, Ben Ginter passed away sometime around 1980 or so. If I remember right, he was only 59 years old.

Wink, Teem and Tab...

away a bit red-faced
    Ah, yes, the Bonaventure or the "Bonnie" in the days before there was a berm/barrier separating the Yellowhead.

First One is Always Free

There was a pop that I believe it was called "Uncle Ben's." They made a root beer, and a ginger ale that was bottled in the brown stubby beer bottles!! It always seemed to taste so good, but was it just because of those damned bottles??

I remember when kids could have cap guns or BB guns without getting in trouble with the law. We'd play cowboys and indians or good guys vs bad guys. It was a normal thing to do in those days.

I remember when beer parlours had two entrances; Gentlemen, and Ladies and excorts.

I remember when breakfast cereals had premiums. Kellogg's Pep had comic character pinback buttons.
    I vaguely remember a promotion where everytime you bought a box of a certain type of cereal, you got a title to a square inch of a gold claim in the Yukon. I read that it was Quaker Oats that ran that in the 50's and maybe early 60's. I thought it may have been another cereal but I would've been very young at that time to remember exactly.

The claim was called the Klondike Big Inch Land Co., Inc., which covered 19.11 acres about 7 miles up the Yukon River from Dawson. One story is here:
    http://firstam.com/landsakes/html/em...02biginch.html

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH
    I vaguely remember a promotion where everytime you bought a box of a certain type of cereal, you got a title to a square inch of a gold claim in the Yukon. I read that it was Quaker Oats that ran that in the 50's and maybe early 60's. I thought it may have been another cereal but I would've been very young at that time to remember exactly.

The claim was called the Klondike Big Inch Land Co., Inc., which covered 19.11 acres about 7 miles up the Yukon River from Dawson. One story is here:
    http://firstam.com/landsakes/html/em...02biginch.html
    I vaguely remeber that as well. I never went for it, though. What was VERY popular around that time you speak of were the Jello "car wheels". I remember having a few of them when I was young, but far from the entire set of 200 or so. They appear on Ebay a lot, so there's still lots of them around.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I remember the old lotteries before 6/49 and Super 7: SuperLotto, the Provincial, Western Express. These were printed tickets. A SuperLotto ticket cost $10, the Provincial was $5 and Western Express was just $1 or $2. The jackpots weren't huge - SuperLotto was $1 million while the others were like 1/2 million or something.

I remember the draws were held on TV, and Don Wittman (from HNIC) hosted the Western Express draw.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    I remember the old lotteries before 6/49 and Super 7: SuperLotto, the Provincial, Western Express. These were printed tickets. A SuperLotto ticket cost $10, the Provincial was $5 and Western Express was just $1 or $2. The jackpots weren't huge - SuperLotto was $1 million while the others were like 1/2 million or something.

I remember the draws were held on TV, and Don Wittman (from HNIC) hosted the Western Express draw.
    I remember it being perfectly legal for kids to buy lottery tickets. Or at least, if there was a law against it, it wasn't enforced.

SuperLotto
    Shipbuilding? Textiles.

A SuperLotto ticket cost $10, the Provincial was $5 and Western Express was just $1 or $2.
    If I do recall, the draws on TV were held on Wednesday, or "Winsday", as it was hyped.

If I remember right, the first 'big' one with a $1 million payout started in 1974/5 as the "Olympic Lottery" to finance that huge albatross in Montreal that surprisiningly hasn't collapsed yet. It was in 1976 or so the western provinces wanted a lottery that kept the proceeds in the west.

First One is Always Free

Saturday night was movie night on CFRN (CTV) with Academy Performance.
    Yeah, I recall they had this intro with the name of the show being written in multiple layers of cursive writing. The whole thing had a real highbrow feel to it, or at least so it seemed to me.
    I was doodling on a newspaper earlier today, and my depiction of a number 1 caused me to remember that piece. Now it's stuck in my head for who knows how long. (For the record, the typeface used for the title is Magnificat; that was what inspired the name I use here.) It's too bad we don't have any video of that montage. That display was nothing short of spectacular. You'd never see anything like that on any adaptation today.
    I don’t know where I’m going, but here I am. And how is your day?

First One is Always Free

My God, the memories, the memories. I left Edmonton 10 years ago, but I'm so glad I found this site.

I remember calling a phone number for the time and a advertisement for "The Lydo" coming on first saying "426 5050, if you're hungry call The Lydo! Free delivery"

I remember Nikki Fordinski and Denny Andrews TV commercials.

I remember the Woolco in Heritage Mall with the conveyor belt escalators that could hold shopping carts.

I remember the top floor of the AGT Tower (now Telus) being a phone museum and 360 degree look off.

I remember when Keiller Road was still open to vehicle traffic. I also remember getting a speeding ticket for doing 50km/h in the 30 km/h zone going down the hill. I think the speeding ticket was for $35.00. That would have been about 1991.

I remember when Snow Valley and Connors Hill had tow ropes. I remember being so impressed when Snow Valley got T-bars installed. I remember when the toboggan hill by Fox's Farm at the end of Whitemud Ravine still had remnants of a tow rope.

I remember being worried my parents would go broke when they raised the price of a season pass at Snow Valley to $125.00. I remember taking school trips to Rabbit Hill and thinking it was sooooo far away.

Good post, and welcome. FYI, Snow Valley opened for the season yesterday on man-made snow.

Addicted to C2E

Anyone else remember the ad for Hodgson Pontiac-Buick?
    Hodgson drives you ha-ha-ha-haapppppyyyyyyy!!

I remember a friend of mine back when I was 13 or so, having
    his appendix removed at the Glenrose Hospital.

My son's first forehead stitches were done at the Charles
    Camsell Hospital.

When there were only two bus routes west of 170 St by WEM.
    The 12 Thorncliffe and the 68 Primrose.

When the Old St Albert Trail connected with 111 Ave, before
    they built St. Andrews Place.

I remember thinking it was cool that my Dad installed half
    of those red airplane lights on top of the AGT Tower. Then,
    many years later, my older brother installed half the ones
    on top of ManuLife Place.

Anyone else remember the ad for Hodgson Pontiac-Buick?
    Hodgson drives you ha-ha-ha-haapppppyyyyyyy!!
    Yeah.
    Didn't Blake Emmons do that theme song?

In case anyone doesn't remember Blake Emmons, he was a country singer, might have been from here. Hosted Canada's version of "Hee Haw" called "The Funny Farm" back in the 1970s plus a bunch of local telethons.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Blake Emmons was a regular on the ACT Teleramas on CFRN TV which raised money to build the facility for crippled children at Rundell Park

First One is Always Free

"Put a little power between your legs" at Denny Andrews kawasaki located at 111ave and kingsway

Blake Emmons was a regular on the ACT Teleramas on CFRN TV which raised money to build the facility for crippled children at Rundell Park
    I saw Blake Emmons in a production of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, at Stage West, early 90s some time. He came on after and talked to the audience for a bit. Seemed like a nice enough guy.

grish

637, no, make that 638 replies. does it make this thread the all-time leader?

First One is Always Free

More memories flooding back.

Southgate mall used to be one corridor connecting Woodwards and The Bay. I remember the fountains half way between the two department stores being turned into a Santa Claus display around Christmas. There was a t-shirt shop off toward one of the exits where you could get decals put on a shirt.

The Journal used to have a Klondike Goldrush where every day they would publish a cartoon filled with clues to help you find the treasure that was hidden somewhere in the city. I almost found it one time too!

I remember the Journal had ads for the porno movies at Studio 82 - movies that we would call Grindhouse flicks these days, like "Naughty Stewardesses" and "The Reluctant Bride". I remember driving past Studio 82 and with my mom and thinking that's where all those porno movies I can't watch are played.

I remember drunkenly walking home from The Bronx (later The Rev) across the top of the High Level Bridge. It's impossible to get up there now, but back in the 1990s you used to be able to squeeze between the chained gates.

I remember doing "Purple City" - staring into the yellow lights that shine on the Legislature. This made the white lights look yellow.

I remember Whyte Avenue being really, really seedy. There was a strip club called Thin Lizzies across from what used to be the Coin Castle arcade. I was going into the Coin Castle once when two sketchy looking characters came running out of Thin Lizzies straight toward me. They just went into the arcade. I also remember when the old Post office at Whyte and 106th was empty. It's restoration and occupation by nice restaurants was the beginning of Whyte Avenue's revitalization.

While I'm thinking about Whyte Avenue, I remember seeing "Repent" on every lampost, wall, power box, etc. in Old Strathcona.

I remember pay TV being introduced when I was in elementary school. Initially there were two movie channels - First Choice and Superchannel and one education channel called "C-Channel". Of course, nobody subscribed to the education channel so it quickly disappeared. I think First Choice and Superchannel eventually merged to form "Super Choice".

I remember going to the Motoraunt from a back alley that ran parallel to Jasper Avenue in the middle of the night. They had a monster burger. I remember the people who worked there were a little odd - some old guy said to me "That a monster burger, for a monster guy!"

I also remember the "Dial-a-bus" - somebody at ETS decided to save money by having the buses not do the entire route unless the bus was, well, dialed. Route 57 to Brookside would park at the ramp off the Whitemud Freeway. It would only go into the neighbourhood if a passenger requested it or called it in. The drivers had these massive phones and you would actually call a special number to bring the bus to the stop closest to you.

The Princess Theatre used to have a separate room for babies to cry in.

I remember Three Dead Trolls in Baggie Performing at the Garneau Theatre. I know one of the cast from the Trolls, Paul Mather, now writes for Corner Gas on CBC. The Garneau used to have midnight movies - like the Rocky Horror Picture Show and Pink Floyd the Wall. I did some pretty heavy making out on those couches they used to have against the back wall of the Garneau.

I remember the Three Dead Trolls having their own TV show on CBC. It didn't last long, but someone at Mother Corp thought they'd be the next Kids In The Hall.

I remember when Northgate used to be a nice mall like Southgate.

My teenage memory of Superchannel will be watching the late-night naughty films even though we only got a fuzzy B&W signal with no sound because we didn't subscribe.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Grey Cup Edition

I remember when....

- Either CBC would cover the first half of the Grey Cup and CTV would cover the second half or vice versa.

- The female streaker in the 1975 Grey Cup in Calgary during the national anthem.

- The Staples Bowl in the 1977 Grey Cup at the Big Owe between the Alouettes and Eskimos.

- The 1978 Grey Cup when Tom Wilkinson came in relief for Warren Moon in the second half to win the first of Five in a Row.

- Sitting in front of my television with dozens of East/West Grey Cup pool tickets hoping someone will score a single point so I will win the 3rd quarter prize. What ever happened to those pool tickets???

- As a kid, getting up at 9am on Sunday to watch the two hour pre-game show. Kickoff at 11am MST.

- Buying a sundae at Dairy Queen and it will be served in a mini plastic football helmet of all of the CFL teams. I still have them in my mother's basement.

- The Wes & Wilkie show on ITV.

- The Schenley Awards. And Miss Grey Cup.

I remember going to the Motoraunt from a back alley that ran parallel to Jasper Avenue in the middle of the night. They had a monster burger. I remember the people who worked there were a little odd - some old guy said to me "That a monster burger, for a monster guy!"
    I seem to recall that Steve Fonyo was an employee there, in between one of his numerous run-ins with the law.

I remember when the Oilers used to hold practices at the WEM skating rink. This was back during the glory days of Gretzky and The Moose.

I remember those same Oilers in advertisements for everything in town from plywood (Fogolin and Cementhead) to McDonalds (Anderson) to IGA (Moog) to go along with Gretzky nationwide hawking of soft drinks and breakfast cereals. I remember the "Coffey Break" feature on CHED.

First One is Always Free

Hi I'm new year ...

I remember going to the old Zellers on Teigler ... they had the absolute best hot dogs.

I remember watching Batman and Gilligan's Island on Popcorn Playhouse. They used to play Popeye and Gumby cartoons all the time. They also gave everybody a baby root beer mug and a bag of popcorn twists.

I remember watching "The Banana Splits" ... with a dog named Fleagle, a monkey named Bingo, an elephant named "Snooky" and a lion (I can't remember his name).

I remember watching "Shazam" on TV, with a magical genie.

I remember watching "The Monkees", the "Beatles" cartoon, "Abbott and Costello" cartoons, "Speed Buggy" and many other cartoons.

I remember "Krazy Krazy"... Wes and Wilkie Carpet World commercials (with Wilky's famous Wyoming Onions" ... Mom and Dad taking us to the drive-in just about every weekend, watching 5 horror movies in a row; watching Tarzan.

I remember "H.R. PuffnStuff" and "Lidsville".

I remember watching Carol Burnett every Thursday night, watching the Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday at Suppertime, and the Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show every Saturday morning.

I remember the Harlem Globetrotters coming to town every year.

So many memories ... and I'm so glad that I found this site

Addicted to C2E

Welcome, Colin

I remember bush parties at Laurier Park,
    midnight/twilight bowling at Garneau Bowling, ( I think
    it was called that, at 109 st/87 ave ),
    Owl Drug Mart at 124 st/111 ave,
    and for TV shows, watching:
    Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Police Woman, Streets of San Francisco,
    Too Close For Comfort, Romper Room ( I was so happy when
    she finally saw me through her magic mirror ).

First One is Always Free

To this day, I'm still heartbroken that my name was never seen through the magic Romper Room Mirror.

I too remember the Garneau Bowl on 82nd Ave.

We used to always bowl at Coral Bowl though ... and played pinball and pool down there. ... ah, what memories.

First One is Always Free

Anybody remember the large white ballooned tennis court at Coronation Park?

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    To this day, I'm still heartbroken that my name was never seen through the magic Romper Room Mirror.

We used to always bowl at Coral Bowl though ... and played pinball and pool down there. ... ah, what memories.
    LOL Yeah, Coral Bowl was my hangout too... including the
    YBC ( Youth Bowling Council ), and playing Speedway and
    a couple of pinball machines too.
    I don't remember pool tables at Coral Bowl though, or were
    they upstairs somewhere?
    And yeah, the ballooned tennis courts... and of course
    Queen Elizabeth Planetarium with all the sidewalks around
    it which was a good place to ride my mustang bike

First One is Always Free

I thought there was a pool table downstairs at Coral Bowl ... I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure (maybe my old age is playing games with my mind )

I used to ride my purple "Wildcat" bike, with banana seat and monkey handle bars. I felt invinsible.

I remember doing the Journal paper route in the afternoon after school, and going door to door to collect in the evening. That was long before the Edmonton Sun made the scene.

I remember when the Santa Claus Parade was sponsored by Eatons and the route went down Jasper Avenue. I still have some colour slides that I took of that event one year in the early fifties.

First One is Always Free

I remember when the Santa Claus Parade was sponsored by Eatons and the route went down Jasper Avenue. I still have some colour slides that I took of that event one year in the early fifties.
    And the Santa Claus Parade was Outdoors

Do they still make Krazy Karpets? Those thin flexible lengths of plastic with a couple of holes cut out at one end for handles.

Addicted to C2E

Do they still make Krazy Karpets? Those thin flexible lengths of plastic with a couple of holes cut out at one end for handles.
    I saw one this afternoon.. though it had two holes instead of
    one... how about the metal flying saucers? I went down the
    hill behind the Museum in one of those once, and missed
    the riverbank by about 3 feet

Addicted to C2E

I thought there was a pool table downstairs at Coral Bowl ... I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure (maybe my old age is playing games with my mind )

I used to ride my purple "Wildcat" bike, with banana seat and monkey handle bars. I felt invinsible.

I remember doing the Journal paper route in the afternoon after school, and going door to door to collect in the evening. That was long before the Edmonton Sun made the scene.
    Did you live in Sherbrooke or Dovercourt then?
    I lived in Dovercourt, but went to Sherbrooke for junior high.

First One is Always Free

Did you live in Sherbrooke or Dovercourt then?
    I lived in Dovercourt, but went to Sherbrooke for junior high.
    I sure did ... I lived in Sherbrooke in the townhomes ... my home was right across the street from the front entrance of Sherbrooke School. I went there from Grade 1 through Grade 9.

First One is Always Free

I saw one this afternoon.. though it had two holes instead of
    one... how about the metal flying saucers? I went down the
    hill behind the Museum in one of those once, and missed
    the riverbank by about 3 feet
    I also remember "Krazy Skis" ... plastic mini skis you'd wrap on your boots ... between the "Krazy Karpets" and the "Krazy Skis", we had a blast at winter ... although I wiped down more than my fair share.

I had a Wildcat mustang bike myself, but it was metallic gold in color. Was a 3-speed as well. I wanted a three foot high sissy bar for it with headrest, but they were hopelessly out of my price range at the time.

I also delivered the Dedmonton Urinal. Remember waiting at the green & white 'paper shack' and waiting for Frenchie and his cut-down cars made into a truck? Manually placing the inserts in the papers Newfie coveyor belt style before rebundling them up??

I had a Wildcat mustang bike myself, but it was metallic gold in color. Was a 3-speed as well. I wanted a three foot high sissy bar for it with headrest, but they were hopelessly out of my price range at the time.

I also delivered the Dedmonton Urinal. Remember waiting at the green & white 'paper shack' and waiting for Frenchie and his cut-down cars made into a truck? Manually placing the inserts in the papers Newfie coveyor belt style before rebundling them up??
    I delivered the Journal for a few months. Our shack was on 111th Ave. just west of 124th St., behind the corner grocery store. Never had to place the inserts in the paper, though.

I remember those old WEM ads. "If you can't find it here, it doesn't exist." And their old TV ad with the uber-glamorous people going through customs and their purchases being from WEM instead of the big fashion meccas like Paris and London.

[quote="TerryH"]

I delivered the Journal for a few months. Our shack was on 111th Ave. just west of 124th St., behind the corner grocery store. Never had to place the inserts in the paper, though.

At first, our paper shack was behind Fasco Rentals on Stony Plain Road facing the alley, west of 140th Street. In early 1974, Fasco needed the space, so the shack was uprooted and moved to 142nd Street & 105 Ave, behind the little strip mall with Super-A foods, Glenora School of Music, etc. It was around late 1973 when the Journal started placing the inserts inside the papers themselves at the plant. (The 'inserts' were everything, from the Canadian Magazine/comics on Saturday, to all store flyers, etc. The ragboys had to insert them when I started)

First One is Always Free

[quote="glenorarat"]

At first, our paper shack was behind Fasco Rentals on Stony Plain Road facing the alley, west of 140th Street. In early 1974, Fasco needed the space, so the shack was uprooted and moved to 142nd Street & 105 Ave, behind the little strip mall with Super-A foods, Glenora School of Music, etc. It was around late 1973 when the Journal started placing the inserts inside the papers themselves at the plant. (The 'inserts' were everything, from the Canadian Magazine/comics on Saturday, to all store flyers, etc. The ragboys had to insert them when I started)
    I had a paper route in the Prince Charles area. Our "green shack" was near a railroad track. The manager was a big goon named Moe. I remember some of the kids tied me up and dragged me on the railroad track one day. Not fun times.

I remember when I was a kid the Eaton's Christmas catalog was widely anticipated. It was full of stuff that dreams were made of.

As well, the department store windows downtown had fascinating displays.

First One is Always Free

I remember when I was a kid the Eaton's Christmas catalog was widely anticipated. It was full of stuff that dreams were made of.

I also remember the downtown Christmas windows being fantastic as well. It was a real wonderland!

I used to get so excited getting the Sears Christmas Catalogue. I'd zoom right into the toys section, and I'm sure I wore out those pages before Christmas Eve.

I remember when the Sears Christmas catalog would come out in October or early November. Now it comes out in August.

I also remember the downtown Christmas windows being fantastic as well. It was a real wonderland!

I used to get so excited getting the Sears Christmas Catalogue. I'd zoom right into the toys section, and I'm sure I wore out those pages before Christmas Eve.

I remember Sears "Wish Book". It was full of toys, but that was only in pictures. The best place was Woodwards 'Toyland'. They would clear out a huge space, usually in the appliances section and reserve it for all the new and wonderful toys. You could usually pick them up, try them out, etc. right in Toyland. And I remember at one time, only The Bay was open on Boxing Day. I stocked up on my Hot Wheels one year. They had them on for 10 cents a piece! That's right!!! ten cents!, and they were all the 'first issue' original 1967 stock like the Beatnik Bandit, Dodge Deora, besides the usual current production cars but with redline tires and mag wheels. I must have bought 20 of them that day, circa 1970. Unfortunately, of that 20 or so, I only have one of the originals left; the VW Bug with opening sunroof

First One is Always Free

I remember Sears "Wish Book". It was full of toys, but that was only in pictures. The best place was Woodwards 'Toyland'. They would clear out a huge space, usually in the appliances section and reserve it for all the new and wonderful toys. You could usually pick them up, try them out, etc. right in Toyland. And I remember at one time, only The Bay was open on Boxing Day. I stocked up on my Hot Wheels one year. They had them on for 10 cents a piece! That's right!!! ten cents!, and they were all the 'first issue' original 1967 stock like the Beatnik Bandit, Dodge Deora, besides the usual current production cars but with redline tires and mag wheels. I must have bought 20 of them that day, circa 1970. Unfortunately, of that 20 or so, I only have one of the originals left; the VW Bug with opening sunroof
    I loved my hot wheels. I spent hours upon hours racing them through those orange tracks. We used to run the track down the basement stairs and let those cars fly!

Does anybody remember the old SSP Cars, which you'd run a plastic strip through the middle of the car to get it going. What fun!

I loved my hot wheels. I spent hours upon hours racing them through those orange tracks. We used to run the track down the basement stairs and let those cars fly!

Does anybody remember the old SSP Cars, which you'd run a plastic strip through the middle of the car to get it going. What fun!

I used a length or two of that orange track on my sisters a few times!

Those SSP cars....are you thinking of the "Smash-Up Derby" cars where you and a buddy intentionally made them run into each other where the pieces like hoods and doors were designed to fly off upon impact? As I recall, one used a flexible 2-foot long plastic strip with gear teeth on it and a T-handle at one end to get the wheels to turn fast. There was a square-cut hole right through the roof of the car that you inserted this T-handled piece all the way and pulled as fast as you could to get maximum speed out of it.

First One is Always Free

I used a length or two of that orange track on my sisters a few times!

Those SSP cars....are you thinking of the "Smash-Up Derby" cars where you and a buddy intentionally made them run into each other where the pieces like hoods and doors were designed to fly off upon impact? As I recall, one used a flexible 2-foot long plastic strip with gear teeth on it and a T-handle at one end to get the wheels to turn fast. There was a square-cut hole right through the roof of the car that you inserted this T-handled piece all the way and pulled as fast as you could to get maximum speed out of it.
    Your message sure brings back memories.

I also remember "Krazy Skis" ... plastic mini skis you'd wrap on your boots ... between the "Krazy Karpets" and the "Krazy Skis", we had a blast at winter ... although I wiped down more than my fair share.
    The ones we had were called, "Super Slider Snow Skates".

Also, the SSP cars were a blast as were the Hot Wheels. I had the Hot Wheels track with the "Juicer"...fuel up the cars and have them burn up the big oval track.

Anyone have the Wizzers? Hand-held tops that made a mess of girl's hair if you wound them up and got their hair tangled up something fierce in them!

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by soycd

Also, the SSP cars were a blast as were the Hot Wheels. I had the Hot Wheels track with the "Juicer"...fuel up the cars and have them burn up the big oval track.
    Anyone have the Wizzers? Hand-held tops that made a mess of girl's hair if you wound them up and got their hair tangled up something fierce in them!
    Yea ... I think I had the "Juicer" ... where the hotwheel car goes in the box, and you pull a crank and sped the car around.[/b]

Yea ... I think I had the "Juicer" ... where the hotwheel car goes in the box, and you pull a crank and sped the car around.[/b]
    I had the "Juice Machine", which was in the shape of a gas pump. You plugged it into the car and held the red top down for a minute and a half to recharged your Hot Wheels Sizzler.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I remember having the whole rumpus room floor covered with AFX or Tyco slot car tracks.

I also remember buying Colecovision at Tops 'n Toys.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66
    I remember having the whole rumpus room floor covered with AFX or Tyco slot car tracks.

I also remember buying Colecovision at Tops 'n Toys.
    Yeah, we used to have the slot cars asa well. Was the Colecovision the triangular set that you had a steering wheel on one side for a racing game, a gun on another side for a shooting game, and knobs on the 3rd side for pong. Boy that was state-of-the-art gaming technology back then.

(The 'inserts' were everything, from the Canadian Magazine/comics on Saturday, to all store flyers, etc. The ragboys had to insert them when I started)
    I remember The Canadian magazine quite well. It was kind of oversized, by magazine standards, and was printed on this slick paper with an odd sort of fuzzy texture.

I remember an article on gays in Canada, that featured this illustration of these two leather type guys with their arms around each other. First time I'd ever seen anything like that.

And Walter Stewart had this ongoing column where he'd occasionally talk to this fictional old man about Canadian politics.

Addicted to C2E

I remember interviewing a city planner for an elementary school project, and hearing her gush over Millwoods. "such an achievement, the largest subdivision in north america..."

First One is Always Free

(The 'inserts' were everything, from the Canadian Magazine/comics on Saturday, to all store flyers, etc. The ragboys had to insert them when I started)
    I remember The Canadian magazine quite well. It was kind of oversized, by magazine standards, and was printed on this slick paper with an odd sort of fuzzy texture.

I remember an article on gays in Canada, that featured this illustration of these two leather type guys with their arms around each other. First time I'd ever seen anything like that.

And Walter Stewart had this ongoing column where he'd occasionally talk to this fictional old man about Canadian politics.
    I also remember there was a comic strip in "The Canadian". There were no words in it. I think it was "Mutt and Jeff", but I'm not sure.

I also remember there was a comic strip in "The Canadian". There were no words in it. I think it was "Mutt and Jeff", but I'm not sure.
    IIRC it was called, "Doug".

EDIT: I just did a search.....

Link -> Doug Wright's Family

First One is Always Free

IIRC it was called, "Doug".

EDIT: I just did a search.....

Link -> Doug Wright's Family
    Thank you so much ... that brought back alot of memories

[quote="Colin"][quote="soycd"]
    Thank you so much ... that brought back alot of memories
    There was also Canadian Homes magazine that came out once a month that was included with the Canadian magazine. Some of the issues featured unique Canadian architecture and furniture designs, etc.

Addicted to C2E

I remember the old public washrooms by the old Met
    store at 101 st/101A ave. You had to go down about
    25 steps to get to them, but they were rather popular

In the late '60's I still remember the odd outdoor toilet that was out back of some of the old shacks that were still standing in Jasper Place!! :P

Addicted to C2E

Yeah, I forgot about those outhouses
    We moved to Edmonton in 1965, living across from
    the bar entrance to the old JP Hotel.
    It seems a few houses along 100A ave west of 156 St
    had outhouses still, back then.

First One is Always Free

Seems to me they were pay toilets weren't they.

First One is Always Free

LOL Yeah, Coral Bowl was my hangout too... including the
    YBC ( Youth Bowling Council ), and playing Speedway and
    a couple of pinball machines too.
    I don't remember pool tables at Coral Bowl though, or were
    they upstairs somewhere?
    And yeah, the ballooned tennis courts... and of course
    Queen Elizabeth Planetarium with all the sidewalks around
    it which was a good place to ride my mustang bike

1974, grade 8 field trip to QE Planitarium and best of all streaking fad was at its zenith, what an eyeful.

Addicted to C2E

1974, ah... I was going to Shep then, and remember a few
    streakers around the area

re: Doug Wright's Family. Holy Cow, I remember that, but had completely forgotten about it.

Speaking of Canadian magazines, does anyone remember Quest, which was from Ontario I believe, but I think was delivered to selected houses free-of-charge for awhile? The only article I can clearly remember was in the early 80s, a profile of Henry Morgantaler, by the writer Katherine Govier(who incidentally was born in Edmonton).

That was the early 80s, but Quest had been around for a while before that. It always seemed really sophisticated, in that high-serious Central Canada sort of way.

re: Doug Wright's Family. Holy Cow, I remember that, but had completely forgotten about it.

Speaking of Canadian magazines, does anyone remember Quest, which was from Ontario I believe, but I think was delivered to selected houses free-of-charge for awhile? The only article I can clearly remember was in the early 80s, a profile of Henry Morgantaler, by the writer Katherine Govier(who incidentally was born in Edmonton).

That was the early 80s, but Quest had been around for a while before that. It always seemed really sophisticated, in that high-serious Central Canada sort of way.
    Yep, I remember it from 1973. The one article that stood out for me was a profile of Malcolm Bricklin, entitled, "They Laughed When I Said I Was Going to Build a Car in Canada!" from around 1975 or so. Then a couple of years later, there was a second article on his demise.

Speaking of Canadian magazines...
    I remember the rock magazine Graffiti, it was like Canada's version of Creem and SPIN.

Speaking of Canadian magazines...
    I remember the rock magazine Graffiti, it was like Canada's version of Creem and SPIN.
    That's ringing the faintest of bells for me. What years was that magazine around?

First One is Always Free

I remember how fun it was to go on the LRT for the very first before the Commonwealth Games in 1978 ... and when the Commonwealth Games started in that beautiful (then) facility. Really felt like Edmonton was in the Big Leagues then. I also remember watching the Oilers in the Edmonton Gardens in the WHA, and when they played in brand new Edmonton Coliseum ... wow, that was major league then!

That's ringing the faintest of bells for me. What years was that magazine around?
    In the mid-80s or late-80s. MuchMucus (a channel I've haven't watched since the Erica Ehm days) used to do a lot of cross-promoting with them.

I remember how fun it was to go on the LRT for the very first before the Commonwealth Games in 1978 ... and when the Commonwealth Games started in that beautiful (then) facility. Really felt like Edmonton was in the Big Leagues then.
    In 1980, when the Alberta government had its 75th Anniversary, there was a proposal to give the Commonwealth Stadium (and McMahon Stadium in Calgary) a full roof to make them year-round venues as a gift to those cities. Had that came about, we would have had two stadiums still in the Big Leagues.

I remember how fun it was to go on the LRT for the very first before the Commonwealth Games in 1978 ... and when the Commonwealth Games started in that beautiful (then) facility. Really felt like Edmonton was in the Big Leagues then.
    In 1980, when the Alberta government had its 75th Anniversary, there was a proposal to give the Commonwealth Stadium (and McMahon Stadium in Calgary) a full roof to make them year-round venues as a gift to those cities. Had that came about, we would have had two stadiums still in the Big Leagues.
    There was some talk about having the stadium to handle more events, either through design or a roof, but Norm Kimball threw a tantrum and we got what we have now.

For the most part, this is how I remember where the highways went through the city (this image from 1969):
    http://www.altaroads.ca/1969Edmonton.pdf

The only part I think was wrong on this map is it shows 28 turning off 97th St. at 118th, going over to 101st, then jogging over to 100th St. at 104th, but it may have if it went all the way to 82nd Ave. at Bonnie Doon (I recall 28 only going as far as Jasper straight down 97th.

The interesting thing is that if you travel down these streets the old routes went, there are signs that mark those routes, with a "TO" tab above.

Note the beginnings of the Whitemud between 159th St. and Fox Drive and the abscence of any indication of the Yellowhead except for the still recognizable portions of 125th Ave (and I remember when it was just a dirt access road west of 149th St.).

There's more PDFs up to 1975 at:
    http://www.altaroads.ca/

There's more PDFs up to 1975 at:
    http://www.altaroads.ca/
    That is such a cool site.

Things to note from the 1969 maps:

- Edmonton boundaries at 50 St, 137 Ave and 170 St - y'know, the so-called inner ring road?
    - no James MacDonald bridge
    - Millwoods almost non-existent
    - 104 St is a two-way from 51 Ave to Whyte Ave
    - the Town of St. Albert
    - the tiny hamlet of Ellerslie
    - the tiny hamlet of Beaumont looking so far away from the city
    - ditto for Sherwood Park
    - village of Spruce Grove with a smaller population than Stony Plain
    - Calgary looks so different without a Deerfoot Trail. And to think, they dared to build it along Nose Creek.
    - land-wise, Calgary hasn't grown as much as Edmonton. On the west side, the boundary was just east of where Happy Valley used to be (anyone remember that fun place?), while the south boundary was where the Marquis of Lorne Trail is now.
    - the tiny village of Airdrie
    - no Hwy 22 from Drayton Valley to Cochrane
    - no Hwy 19 from Devon to Nisku
    - no Hwy 37 from Onoway to Fort Saskatchewan
    - no Hwy 44, which likely terminated in Westlock back then
    - Hwy 21 ends at Hwy 14
    - lots of little villages that likely aren't on today's map
    - no Yellowhead designation for Hwy 16

First One is Always Free

Default Re: Showing my age here

Quote Originally Posted by celticolleen
    But I remember:

The Dog and Suds on Kingsway (I believe).
    Meeting Miss Pat from Romperroom at the Dog and Suds.
    Throwing coins in the fountain at Meadowlark Mall.
    Simpsons before it became Simpsons Sears.
    Paul Ma's at the corner of Stoney Plain and 163 Street.
    My parents telling me they bought our house on 105th Avenue at 164th Street for $14000 brand new in 1959.
    Our block (105th) only being a couple blocks long and there being an empty field and a highway at the end -- then nothing but farmland.
    Centennial Mall being built.
    EVERYTHING being closed on a Sunday.
    Gas coupons from Mohawk gas!
    Broadstock pool.
    Mr. Billassi at Britannia Jr. High.
    Taking reliable public transportation for granted.
    Storyland Valley Zoo.
    Milk delivered to the door in bottles.
    Houses with little cubbyholes that opened from both sides so the milkman could put milk in on the outside and you could bring it in.
    The Ulster Society.
    Acme with all of their awesome deals.
    AM radio being cool.
    CHED being the best ever!
    Only two TV stations in town.
    Old B&W televisions that weigh 400 pounds.
    Bruce Braidwood streaking at JPCHS.
    Mrs. Menzies teaching English at JPCHS.
    When they first put uip the monkey bars at Youngstown.
    BB Hill.
    Being too short to see over the soft ice cream counter at Zellers.
    Having lunch at the lunch counter in Zellers (Meadowlark).
    Bicycling at full speed down that hill to Storyland.
    Bicycling everyone with just one other friend SAFELY.
    Being out at night SAFELY.
    Enjoying a wonderful childhood surrounded by a beautiful city!

Thank you very very much for those..here are some of my memories ... with no particular order..

Meadowlark Mall:
    With record store with lots of vinyl.
    When Sears sold hand guns and hunting rifles in the sporting section (a little scary even then),
    The Cinerama .. where I saw the first showing there: 2001 A Space Odyssey - I was about 8 or 9 yrs.
    Rays Grocery - where you could get all sorts of candy goodies for just a quarter, and then collect bottle cap liners found on 7-up glass bottles to enter a competition to win a Triumph TR7.. yes, I collected every one!
    KFC next door
    Car Wash just up from that. and the Minute Car Wash on Stoney Plain Rd.
    Jays Joke Shop 156th St.- where you could buy a 'choice' Green Avenger water pistol and other strange stuff but not much else.
    J6 Bus
    StarLight Drive-In remember seeing 'The Nutty Professor' with Jerry Lewis when I was quite young with my parents.. also sitting on the bleachers there. Then much later watching 'Grease' at a different Drive-in to the south from the back of a pick-up with lawn chairs and friends!
    White Mud Freeway without the freeway.. with a creek and areas of quick sand we all thought.
    Bicycling with gangs of kids through the neighborhoods.. we used to put playing cards fixed to our front and back forks and through the spokes to make it sound like a motorcycle! cool!
    ok, Zeller's hotdogs.
    FONG's!!! the Chinese Restaurant after a huge teenage night out.
    Almost as good as the Rundle Restaurant in Banff... never mind!
    Concerts at the Edmonton Colosseum:
    Alice Cooper
    Kiss
    BTO
    Police, The Jam, XTC
    etc.
    Exposition Fun Fair - with rides like 'Tornado' where the floor drops out from underneath you with you spinning around. Meeting 'Little Eddie Taylor' the smallest man alive just 2 feet tall... nice chap.
    was it 'Kong'? everyone used to run out screaming! Huge stuffed animal prizes you could never win.
    mixtures of vomit, candy floss, and smoke could be smelled everywhere with relief of wafts of 'Dinky-Donuts' ... now they were good!
    Hockey Rink Shacks
    Speed Skates
    'Bumpering'
    NHL stamps at Esso
    76 Balls for your car aerial
    Super-Sliders, Aluminum Toboggans, Tractor Inner-Tubes.
    now that I think of it... Walkie-Talkies, SuperBalls, Clackers, really long toques, Swiss Army Snow Boots - very cool to have very white ones if you could find them. Adidas Giselle's.
    Skiing in town.. rope tow burns on your gloves.
    JPCHS 76 77 (yes Colleen, the streaker's.. but there was one more that day)
    ... some very fond memories of Edmonton!

I remember some great Chinese restaurants that are long gone;
    The Seven Seas
    The Purple Lantern
    The Cathayan
    The Beachcomber

First One is Always Free

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER!!!! that cool food court in westmount mall that had all the cars on the walls that wound honk and shake doors open and shut on every hour and half hour??? wish i could get a picture of that.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    DOES ANYONE REMEMBER!!!! that cool food court in westmount mall that had all the cars on the walls that wound honk and shake doors open and shut on every hour and half hour??? wish i could get a picture of that.

What??? They don't have that anymore???

Boy, I guess it's been a long time since I've been at Westmount.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast