Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 1,401 to 1,409 of 1409

Thread: The Quarters | Neighbourhood Revitalization | Discussion

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

One day the city is going to have to realise that pocket parks aren't some sort of cure-all. Especially here for the issues that the Quarters has.

Technical terms too much for Edmontonians?

This is fantastic to see and a good design. Not sure about the "pocket park" comment. Pocket parks in my experience with cities and planning and setting them up is very different (smaller and on public land or former roads) not a plaza or shared public outdoor amenity space for a housing development...
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Technical terms too much for Edmontonians?
    lol yeah when they're just used for the sake of being used and otherwise unnecessary since there's no traffic there to try to reduce...
    it's "a" plan i suppose...

C2E SME

Well that's going to be my word of the day. So would the north/south alley, going from Whyte Ave northwards between 104st and 105st, be considered a woonerf?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

A woonerf is a low-traffic street that is designed to give drivers visual clues that they are effectively guests and must proceed with caution. Typically narrow without hard curbs and other normal "roadway" design features.

Here it looks like just a shared laneway. Would have been a "Mews" on the design board 15 years ago.

Whether the park is pocket or otherwise, this is not a location with a park deficit, not with the Boyle community league park on the next block south, and the LRT portal/Multiuse trail lands just to the north should become a proper linear park eventually; this extra park is just more park without much purpose.
    There can only be one.

Actually, it looks from the chosen illustration that they just mean public walkway. Which still might have been a "Mews" but is in no way related to a woonerf. Looks like the city doesn't know what a woonerf is either.

Woonerf/Mews design should be applied to 104 ave and 105 ave instead, those are local-access streets with no need for through traffic, they don't need to look like the industrial access streets that they were 50 years ago.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well that's going to be my word of the day. So would the north/south alley, going from Whyte Ave northwards between 104st and 105st, be considered a woonerf?
    I think that's technically a plaza as it's pedestrian only and can be activated for public events like the Fringe.

Mews are typically pedestrian walkways with sometimes main or secondary entrances facing onto it, while a woonerf can accept auto traffic.

May 13, 2019
    10124 - 96 STREET NW
    Plan ND Blk 3 Lot 1

To rehabilitate an existing building and construct exterior and interior alterations. (Ociciwan Contemporary Art Collective)

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415