Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 1,301 to 1,386 of 1386

Thread: The Quarters | Neighbourhood Revitalization | Discussion

Part of growth and reality. I'm not pleased with tonnes of farmland still dominating downtown
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

It's also called incorporation.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Last thing on my mind is a dumb mural!

Maybe they could remove that sweet caporal ghost sign brick by brick and move it near the neon museum where more people could see it

Quote Originally Posted by Rseven View Post
    Maybe they could remove that sweet caporal ghost sign brick by brick and move it near the neon museum where more people could see it
    That would ideal. Edmonton has already carelessly destroyed enough of its history.

C2E Long Term Contributor

How about putting it up in the lobby of the AGA?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

^uh, no.

Churchill Square? Central Park? Maybe. AGA no.
    ... gobsmacked

The City is not fond of it due to its genre.
    www.decl.org

Yes, let's ignore history. That way we're not bound to repeat it.

Hang on ....
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Continued Contributor

Couldn't the brickwork be incorporated into one of the walls of the new podium somehow?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The City is not fond of it due to its genre.
    aaaah what????
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^Smoking.

C2E SME

Sweet Caporal is a defunct brand.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    ^Smoking.
    i know that - i used to smoke them. i wasn't questioning what the brand was but the "city is not fond of it" statement..

Deconstructed, removed from site, or tied into another art piece somewhere in the downtown area would be a great addition/save/incorporation. Shame really, if not.

Yeah, more bits and pieces scattered hither and yon. That's Edmonton's architectural history.

Incorporate it back to the new structure.

What a nice little development parcel in the Quarters for the right developer.

https://www.edmonton.ca/business_eco...ck_Listing.pdf
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Add it with the impark lot behind it.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

$2.8 for all that. What a steal!

C2E SME

It would be nice if a developer picks this up and comes up with something sooner than later.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    What a nice little development parcel in the Quarters for the right developer.

https://www.edmonton.ca/business_eco...ck_Listing.pdf
    Error on opening. What was the actual address?

It is that west lot next to the Chinese senior centre or across the street from that new hotel (on the north side of it).

A sidenote to the park, but awesome and hopefully a permanent feature to follow.

@dbayeg
    www.decl.org

Sponsored by Alldritt, no less.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Dope! Thanks for the post

City and partners to launch Quarters Skatepark
    June 26, 2018

Media are invited to join Councillor Scott McKeen, the Jasper Place Wellness Centre, iHuman and the Neighbourhood Empowerment Team in launching Edmonton’s first downtown skatepark.

Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2018
    Time: 5 p.m.

The event includes live music by DJs from iHuman, a barbecue and giveaways. It also coincides with a block party hosted by iHuman that starts at 3:30 p.m. at the same location. Skateparks are free and open to skateboarders, BMX riders, push scooters and inline skaters. Motorized vehicles are not permitted.

For more information:
    edmonton.ca/skateparks
    edmonton.ca/NeighbourhoodEmpowermentTeam

Media contact:
    Adrienne Cloutier
    Communications Advisor
    Citizen Services
    780-442-6966
    www.decl.org

Flashback...We sure liked to dream about the Quarters:

http://onpa.ca/projects/the-quarters...n-design-plan/

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Flashback...We sure liked to dream about the Quarters:

http://onpa.ca/projects/the-quarters...n-design-plan/
    The fact that it won an award of merit in the "Unimplemented Urban Design Plans" category speaks volumes.

How One Area is Revitalizing and Keeping its Heart

Nestled east of downtown, from 97 Street to 92 Street and from 103A Avenue to the top of the North Saskatchewan River Valley, is a neighbourhood known as The Quarters Downtown. The area has always played a vital role in the city as a cultural hub, and it has seen its fair share of hardships. Today, it has become an important site of renewal and revitalization for the city, and one that aims for a balance of the influx of new buildings and people with a commitment to those who already call it home.

The Quarters was an important first for Edmonton as a city in the form of the first commercial district. Back when horse-drawn carriages were still the primary traffic, the area was a hub for businesses. “The Quarters was where the first commercial district started in Edmonton,” says Mary Anne Debrinski, City of Edmonton’s director of Urban Renewal. “As the city started to grow, the businesses moved westward. The Quarters became a place where immigrants first moved and then left as they prospered, making it a great place to start in the country.”

http://businessinedmonton.com/august...keeping-heart/
    www.decl.org

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 16-11-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Jeff Chase on twitter

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I mean I guess it's better than what's there now... Still feel like there are more effective ways that money may have been able to have been spent to improve the area than these sorts of buildings.
    Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd; 16-11-2018 at 11:52 AM.

^ why don't you tell us what they are then? it's easy to talk when it's not your own 1.5mil

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_Lloyd View Post
    I mean I guess it's better than what's there now... Still feel like there are better ways that money may have been able to have been spent to improve the area than these sorts of buildings.
    these are both good and good value investments... they will help animate two buildings in the quarters that have been vacant other than for occasional temporary short-term uses for a very long time. the area needs animation more than anything else and "these sorts of buildings" are what differentiate the quarters and give it what character it has left and a base to build on. without them there would no difference between the quarters and windermere.

^What the Quarters needs is people with disposable money to have a reason to be there, either because there's attractive housing for them there or because they work there. The Ociciwan Contemporary Arts Collective and the Quarters Arts Society, while I'm glad they are going to have some space for themselves I suppose, aren't exactly a draw.

There's no interest by people in being in the neighbourhood as it is. The unleased CRUs in the gorgeous Quarters hotel is pretty strong evidence of that. This money could have been spent subsidizing residential and office development that would actually bring people in.

Lastly, and admittedly this is just personal preference, but the render for the Arts Society building is ugly as sin. Apparently architecture isn't one of the arts they plan on cultivating.
    Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd; 16-11-2018 at 11:52 AM.

I think this is fantastic news. Underused buildings get a new purpose and the area's 'credentials' as an artistic area get enhanced, all for a fairly low price. What's not to like?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^What the Quarters needs is people with disposable money to have a reason to be there, either because there's attractive housing for them there or because they work there. The Ociciwan Contemporary Arts Collective and the Quarters Arts Society, while I'm glad they are going to have some space for themselves I suppose, aren't exactly a draw.

There's no interest by people in being in the neighbourhood as it is. The unleased CRUs in the gorgeous Quarters hotel is pretty strong evidence of that. This money could have been spent subsidizing residential and office development that would actually bring people in.

Lastly, and admittedly this is just personal preference ,but the render for the Arts Society building is ugly as sin. Apparently architecture isn't one of the arts they plan on cultivating.
    we will have to agree to disagree on this one... while attractive housing would not be a negative and places to work there would not be a negative, there is no lack of vacant land in the quarters already on which to build those things. we don't need to create more vacant land within the quarters, we need to develop the vacant parcels already there and concurrently make good use of the vacant structures that are already there. this does the latter for two of those buildings and you're welcome to come on in and do as much of the former as you want without having to demolish a thing - the water's nice and there's nothing keeping you or anybody else from jumping in.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    you're welcome to come on in
    But if I'm a developer why would I choose to have my next project in The Quarters over literally anywhere else? The city has spent millions concentrating all sorts of affordable housing and social services into the neighbourhood which has effectively disincentivised the sort of high quality development that would be needed to bring in the people with disposable income that ultimately are the ones whose spending is needed to successfully "animate" the neighbourhood.

The city should be creating incentives for residential and office development which offsets the disincentives they themselves have created by concentrating Edmonton's most troubled into a single neighbourhood. Chasing this pipedream of creating an arts hub that will somehow overcome the inherent issues of the neighbourhood is not an effective use of money in my view.
    Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd; 16-11-2018 at 12:21 PM.

First One is Always Free

I can't tell from the renders, and sorry if I missed it elsewhere, but what buildings are these?

^^ this grant isn't about private development. this is an investment to better the lives of some people and promote indigenous culture through building restoration and facilitation of cultural programs. it adds to the neighbourhood and the lives of people who aren't you, and makes the street more attractive visually as well, which is nice. who who cares about what developers think of this or where you think this money could be spent "more effectively." completely irrelevant. just because the neighbourhood is ugly doesn't mean it's better to let it rot. it's the exact opposite actually. but cynics gotta schitt somewhere i guess...

you're welcome to come on in
    But if I'm a developer why would I choose to have my next project in The Quarters over literally anywhere else? The city has spent millions concentrating all sorts of affordable housing and social services into the neighbourhood which has effectively disincentivised the sort of high quality development that would be needed to bring in the people with disposable income that ultimately are the ones whose spending is needed to successfully "animate" the neighbourhood.

The city should be creating incentives for residential and office development which offsets the disincentives they themselves have created by concentrating the city's most troubled into the neighbourhood. Chasing this pipedream of creating an arts hub that will somehow overcome the inherent issues of the neighbourhood is not an effective use of money in my view.
    Every area has its pluses and minuses. This area is close to downtown (big plus), but a lot of vacant lots and a sketchy feel to it (a big minus).

I don't think the concentration of affordable housing and social services (actually it is more a concentration of vacant lots and unused or under used buildings) is so much "created" by the city as by other larger and historical factors. Poor people have to live somewhere too and this is an affordable area in proximity to downtown and has been a place with a lot of lower income housing and people for a long time. There is less community resistance to developing affordable housing and social services in this area, than say in Riverbend, because the people who would use them are already there. Yes, one could easily say the area is over concentrated with these things, but then that leads to the next much harder question - where exactly would these people to go instead, or do you just want them to go magically go away and say get a bus ticket to Vancouver?

Successful developers take risks, other developers follow the herd. If the city is somehow able to convince someone to develop in the area and it is successful, others will notice and follow. However, it may be difficult to get the first one to act as there is perceived to be more risk here.

It wasn't a situation created by the city, so I think throwing money to developers is not the answer. As other places in proximity to downtown are developed, those empty or underutilized lots will become more enticing and that will probably be what in the end spurs someone to take the risk.

I think that this is great news. There will always be nay-sayers no matter what. Perhaps this is just what is needed to help kick-start, (restart?) the Arts Hab Project. With the Quarters hotel open,Brighton Block and the Hat coming on line shortly and (fingers crossed but not holding my breath), the Alldritch building, this area of Jasper Ave will be transformed.

Great news. Federal investment in an arts program that just needed a boost to get to the next level seems like a great win for that area and our city.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by tristin.deveau View Post
    I can't tell from the renders, and sorry if I missed it elsewhere, but what buildings are these?

Streetview:
    Quarters Arts Society
    Ociciwan Contemporary Arts Collective
    Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd; 18-11-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Ociciwan will be such a far cry from the adult video store & peep show that used to be there
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 16-11-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Love what they are doing with Ociciwan

C2E SME

With this Ociciwan building, the hotel and the future Corners tower to the east and the soon to be newly renovated building to the west this little stretch of the Quarters is actually showing signs in the right direction. The hotel has to be further improved at street level. LRT station one block to the north will also help.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I kind of agree with Aaron_Lloyd on this one. The Quarters is not a destination location. We have an arts district already and I'm sure there are plenty of vacant spaces there, this is essentially tossing good money after bad. This not a draw to get people to the Quarters despite Valley line slicing through the area.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I kind of agree with Aaron_Lloyd on this one. The Quarters is not a destination location. We have an arts district already and I'm sure there are plenty of vacant spaces there, this is essentially tossing good money after bad. This not a draw to get people to the Quarters despite Valley line slicing through the area.
    Where are there spaces in the arts district?

Nice small projects.
    Some momentum building, mirama going right into construction after the first quarters tower would be huge for the area as well.

We have an Arts District but it's right on Churchill Square and much more expensive. And this is an ARTISTS District. Slight difference.

artists, designers, writers, actors...the educated and talented poor who would give their eye teeth to be able to live and work closer to downtown. I know that many have lived up in the Norwood / 118 ave area for decades because that's what they can afford. It's those people who were mainly behind the push to clean up 118 ave.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

then i kind of need to agree to disagree with you on this one as well...

this is absolutely part of the draw to get people to the quarters because it’s repurposing and reusing buildings that are to all intents and purposes otherwise derelict and abandoned. in their current state these buildings are disincentives to being in the quarters even if it’s just to walk past them. animating them adds visual interest and puts eyes in the street and creates safety in numbers whether they are your destination or your destination is the moth or the hotel or the nook or the chinese elders mansion or the new lrt or shaw or the new ram or canada place or the law courts or the new park or the community centre etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AUsenik View Post
    Love what they are doing with Ociciwan
    Yup. These two projects are also smart from a development standpoint given that they are utilizing existing structures. Creating a 'cool' neighbourhood typically starts with these types of uses and grows from there.

C2E SME

The more that there are businesses that add more pedestrian activity to the area, the more the area will be more attactive for development.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    We have an Arts District but it's right on Churchill Square and much more expensive. And this is an ARTISTS District. Slight difference.
    I thought the arts district was 124th street and Stony Plain Road.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

then i kind of need to agree to disagree with you on this one as well...

this is absolutely part of the draw to get people to the quarters because it’s repurposing and reusing buildings that are to all intents and purposes otherwise derelict and abandoned. in their current state these buildings are disincentives to being in the quarters even if it’s just to walk past them. animating them adds visual interest and puts eyes in the street and creates safety in numbers whether they are your destination or your destination is the moth or the hotel or the nook or the chinese elders mansion or the new lrt or shaw or the new ram or canada place or the law courts or the new park or the community centre etc.
    The demographic will continue in the area because sadly the Quarters has a stigma attached to it dating back to the 1950's. The area is improving, slowly. All its doing by repurposing these buildings is "sweeping dirt" under the rug. Just my 2 cents.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...t-central-core

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    I thought the arts district was 124th street and Stony Plain Road.
    Nope.

https://www.beedmonton.com/neighbour...arts-district/

124st does have a collection of galleries though - wasn't it coined something along those lines before?

I recall it being referred to as a gallery walk.

These would definitely do better on 124th.

These have the potential to do fine right where they are. Every journey begins with a single step and The Quarters will remain a work in progress for many years to come. But you have to start somewhere.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

These would definitely do better on 124th.
    interesting that you would say that...

and your doing so with such authority.

i have to wonder how well you know them or their constituents in making that pronouncement.

my guess is you don’t know them at all and it was just a wild-assed statement thrown out to try and support your [mistaken] position.

^Yikes, my apologies... jeez. I guess I should have tacked on "in my opinion" at the end of my comment. Here I was thinking that went without saying.

Allow me to elaborate, these sorts of projects have the potential to add more depth to an already burgeoning arts centre in the city on 124th... putting them in the Quarters is like a poor attempt to put lipstick on a pig and this decision ignores what is really needed to make the Quarters more appealing and active.... in my opinion.

OK, in your opinion, what sort of projects are needed to make The Quarters more appealing and active and why would these projects not be part of it?

^I went over what I'd want the city to be encouraging instead and why in my previous posts in this thread. Just scroll up a bit.

Ultimately having these two buildings upgraded like this is a good thing... but it's the opportunity cost involved that I take issue with. These sorts of projects in my opinion would get more use and add more to the 124th street area than the Quarters and in my opinion the City pinning it's hopes of revitalizing the Quarters on these sorts of art projects instead of working on the more basic issues plaguing the area is lazy, misguided and doomed to be ineffective.
    Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd; 20-11-2018 at 11:30 AM.

124th and Quarters have a completely different style of "arts"

Anyhow, its always been a chicken and egg game for areas such as Quarters. You need people to come to sustain development, but unless you have developments, people don't come.

Someone has to make a move. We're probably still 10-15 years out from any real tangible results but we have to keep working at it. Instead of seeing tangible results in the year 2040, if we decided to hold off any type of improvement to the area because we feel its a wasted effort, then we're not seeing results until 2060 and beyond.

What we do have now are key anchors: fancy looking (albeit poorly managed) hotel, well maintained flat iron building, new Cidex Hat tower, restoration of the Brighton block, noticeable (but waning) Chinese community presence, hardware grill, and while I don't agree with the surface LRT, it will bring a bit of cohesiveness to the area as well.

These little investments here and there will add up over time.

Once the "Hat" is completed, you can drive along Jasper from 82nd street to 124th street and mostly have a contiguous stretch of presentable buildings. It's a far cry from the drive even ten years ago.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    124th and Quarters have a completely different style of "arts"

Anyhow, its always been a chicken and egg game for areas such as Quarters. You need people to come to sustain development, but unless you have developments, people don't come.

Someone has to make a move. We're probably still 10-15 years out from any real tangible results but we have to keep working at it. Instead of seeing tangible results in the year 2040, if we decided to hold off any type of improvement to the area because we feel its a wasted effort, then we're not seeing results until 2060 and beyond.

What we do have now are key anchors: fancy looking (albeit poorly managed) hotel, well maintained flat iron building, new Cidex Hat tower, restoration of the Brighton block, noticeable (but waning) Chinese community presence, hardware grill, and while I don't agree with the surface LRT, it will bring a bit of cohesiveness to the area as well.

These little investments here and there will add up over time.

Once the "Hat" is completed, you can drive along Jasper from 82nd street to 124th street and mostly have a contiguous stretch of presentable buildings. It's a far cry from the drive even ten years ago.
    your missing the new tan tan and the coming conversion of the space above to micro-suites, the nook and the now leased space across the street from it, the national cappuccino building, the law office building, the sale (and hopefully the renovation) of the stovell block, the new boyle street community centre, the boyle renaissance project, the moth, ambrose place, the acquisition of the iron works building, the potential resumption of the lodge/pendennis building renovation, the sale of the armature block between the hotel and the park... and this is just off the top of my head, not likely to be all inclusive, based on what's already been made public.
    Last edited by kcantor; 20-11-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^Yikes, my apologies... jeez. I guess I should have tacked on "in my opinion" at the end of my comment. Here I was thinking that went without saying.

Allow me to elaborate, these sorts of projects have the potential to add more depth to an already burgeoning arts centre in the city on 124th... putting them in the Quarters is like a poor attempt to put lipstick on a pig and this decision ignores what is really needed to make the Quarters more appealing and active.... in my opinion.
    in my opinion, yours is wrong. both of these user groups - but ociciwan in particular - have long ties to the quarters that exist to this day that don't exist on 124th street. they're not up-scale art galleries that would be at home in an ever gentrifying and starting to become trendy and expensive area. the attractiveness of the quarters to them as well as their attractiveness for the quarters simply isn't transferrable to 124 street.
    ^I went over what I'd want the city to be encouraging instead and why in my previous posts in this thread. Just scroll up a bit.

Ultimately having these two buildings upgraded like this is a good thing... but it's the opportunity cost involved that I take issue with. These sorts of projects in my opinion would get more use and add more to the 124th street area than the Quarters and in my opinion the City pinning it's hopes of revitalizing the Quarters on these sorts of art projects instead of working on the more basic issues plaguing the area is lazy, misguided and doomed to be ineffective.
    as previously noted, having these groups occupy these two buildings is a good thing not just ultimately but immediately. having these buildings occupied and having these groups in the quarters isn't lazy, misguided and doomed to be ineffective, it's a good continuing step forward in working on the more basic issues plaguing the area.

we probably don't disagree much on what the area needs, just on our opinions as to whether this a good and timely part of addressing those needs instead of ignoring them. i'm not sure how often you're there but just about everyone that's there all the time - or there often - is supportive and not opposed.

C2E SME

And let us not forget the Boyle community center and all the new housing around there that has completely transformed the feel of that section of the Quarters neighborhood.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The Quarters imo needs more investment. I don't know what but some kind of a major attraction open all year around besides a park. There's a plethora of surface lots in the area.

What would work well there are small performance and exhibit spaces. Not bars but small clubs where the music is the primary attraction as opposed to the liquor being primary and the entertainment secondary. The Birchmere in Virginia has a space for dinner and then you move into the performance space. You can order a drink or two before the performance and at the intermission. No service during the show. Now, I'm not suggesting that it has to be all in one here like it is there but something along those lines.

Art galleries with wide and varied exhibits by artists that live and create in the area. Studio spaces.

Make it something that's unique and don't allow it to simply become another Whyte Ave or 124 st.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm glad the Chinatown mall is being demolished. Not sure it was an eye soar though. What was there before the mall?
    Last edited by envaneo; 19-12-2018 at 01:38 AM.

First One is Always Free

I'm glad the Chinatown mall is being demolished. Not sure it was an eye soar though. What was there before the mall?
    A Safeway store.

Yup!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wasn't there a Safeway just up the street by 90th & Jasper Ave in the late 1970's?

A grocer yes, but it was IGA right across the street from the Highand apartments- two red brick towers. That lot is now that nice 24 floor condo also in red brick and stone podium.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    A grocer yes, but it was IGA right across the street from the Highand apartments- two red brick towers. That lot is now that nice 24 floor condo also in red brick and stone podium.
    No, it was in fact a Safeway on 90th and Jasper, I worked there in my teens.

It may have when you did, but I lived on the West tower on the 18th floor facing south (1806) in 1991 and shopped there when it was IGA./Family Foods.

It may have when you did, but I lived on the West tower on the 18th floor facing south (1806) in 1991 and shopped there when it was IGA./Family Foods.
    yeah, but you had answered evaneo's question that in the late 1970's it was NOT a Safeway when in fact it was.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ Yes I seem to recall it was a Safeway as well

^ it sounds like you were in the Riverside or Boardwalk towers weren't even around there until about 1983

Quote Originally Posted by nunuangel99 View Post
    yeah, but you had answered evaneo's question that in the late 1970's it was NOT a Safeway when in fact it was.
    My bad!
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 19-12-2018 at 01:55 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

At any event Cidex said they'd have some announcement of what will be developed on the property. My guess it will be part of the Corners development. We'll know more maybe in the new year.

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

^^ Yes I seem to recall it was a Safeway as well

^ it sounds like you were in the Riverside or Boardwalk towers weren't even around there until about 1983
    The old grocery store is why the "Viewpoint" building at 9028 Jasper Avenue has one heck of a visitor's parking lot (26 visitor stalls, 1 loading zone stall, 2 disabled stalls, 6 commercial stalls, 2 contractor stalls).

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314