Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Quarters | Neighbourhood Revitalization | Discussion

Perhaps we need a new Community College now that MacEwan is a university. Build the whole widget in the Quarters.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I would like to see Norquest pick up some of the more 'community college' components that GMU might now drop or not put much priority on.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I would like to see Norquest pick up some of the more 'community college' components that GMU might now drop or not put much priority on.
    At the moment, it doesn't sound like MacEwan U has any interest in dropping programs.

Partially Addicted to C2E

How about we do something like the 16th street mall in Denver. The 16th street mall is a pedestrain street mall in the heart of Denver, the only traffic on it are the free mall ride busses they have that go up and down the street. I don't think that would be a bad idea in the quaters, maybe along the park that is supposed to be in this grand plan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16th_Street_Mall
    Last edited by canoilers; 02-06-2010 at 11:35 PM.

It wouldn't even have to be in the quaters but I think it would be cool if this city had something like it. They had trees and benches down the center of the street. You could play chess on one of the boards they had set or play a tune on one of the piano's set up periodically down the street. They also had these pavilions set up selling art. I just thought it was neat and it wouldn't have to be exactly like Denvers, we could make it our own.
    Last edited by canoilers; 03-06-2010 at 04:21 AM.

or you could just.... dare i say.. walk.
    www.decl.org

Actually thats what I did when I was in Denver. I went up and down the 16th street mall about hundred times and I pretty much covered most of downtown on foot. I walked over to Coors Field to take some picturs of the Stadium and I walked around that area. I went over to the old warehouse district then past the Convention Center up to the Denver Art Museum, Library and the Colorado History Museum. I strolled up to the State Capital building and the City Hall, took some pictures there. I even checked out the Federal District Downtown. The only time I wasn't on foot was when I took the public transit back to Aurora or when my cousin took me to the Pepsi Center and the Football Stadium.

C2E Continued Contributor

Just came back from Victoria and must say this is my favorite downtown in Canada in terms of pedestrian friendly. Bike lanes on major streets, lots of retail space in the downtown core and saw very few for lease signs. Filled with indie establishments directly beside major chains, lots of restaurants, cafes and deli type places. The powers that be seem to have figured out how to make a friendly city. Heck they even have a multi use trail (Galloping Goose Trail) that goes from across the river from downtown to their airport as well and another line that goes to Sooke. What a way for tourists and locals to have their own little freeway.

Even in tourism, Victoria has it figured out. The information bureau on the harbour. Cannot miss it unless you are blind. And they have all the infrastructure set up for locals and for tourists, double decker public transit to two companies that do hop on hop off tours, bicycle cabs, horse drawn carriages, water taxis, water tours, bicycle rentals and tour companies that will bring you almost anywhere by air, water or land. Even at 11 PM on a cool night, downtown was still buzzing with people walking around and it was not your typical bar flies. Just people looking at the lights of the legislature, the Empress as well as walking on the lighted walkways of the harbour.

I have to say I want some of that. The Quarters, if and when it starts could be something like this with 4 storey type mixed use buildings with retail or food on the main floor. And with the planned Armiture leading to Louise McKinney it could become the focal point. Lots of cafes, restaurants and retail on either side of the long park. But most importantly have connections between the Quarters and the Arts district, as well as Chinatown and Little Italy to the east so it is one big area instead of just its own little development. It would be nice of the Ukranian Museum could get its funding in order to begin construction. This would be a nice kick start. And the Gibson Block, once the lease with WEAC is done could return back to a public type building instead of a barricaded historical building. And think what could be done with the Grierson Halfway House, could become a museum for everything Edmonton to reconnect with the city that now surrounds it and connect it to Louise McKinney and the Armiture to make a great green space.

But alas I am still waiting for even the first thing to happen. Fingers crossed that something that has been announced in the past will finally end up with a shovel in the ground sometime soon. I want what downtown Victoria has? Is that a bad thing?
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

^not at all... Victoria has some wonderful pedestrian/urban areas.
    www.decl.org

Now U/C phase 1

www.decl.org

grish

Ian, what building is this?

C2E Continued Contributor

Future YMCA and community centre is scheduled to be part of phase 1. http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...naissance.aspx
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

C2E SME

So if I'm looking at the site plan correctly, the current station #1 firehall will be next door to the YMCA/community centre?

With this new project and hopes of a bunch more stuff going in north right up to the LRT tracks, I say again that there should be a brand new LRT station on right at 95st. That would make this area so much more attractive.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

grish

^ many, many voices in favour of just that... http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=12782

I'd rather C2E than work!

CTV had a feature on the Quarters last night. In it some official from the city was saying they expect ground breaking on one of two 30 story condos in the near future. They showed a rendering on the news but unfortunately I can not find the link.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E SME

Anyone see a news article on tv last night about the quarters questioning weather it is still working or it's a failure. I'm curious what they had to say.
    Personally I think the Quarters is only now starting to show signs of developement so its too early to count that area out.

30 story hey... Well since nothing is approved and all, other than stuff on east jasper at 83st... Or the hotel or the vpi project.... Just saying.
    www.decl.org

There is a video in CTV Edmonton's Special Features section:
    http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...e&s_name=graph
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Doesn't work.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/ and go to the Special Features section.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

...groundbreaking later this year?

Addicted to C2E

THat's regency east. Walter Trocenko should get his bearings considering he is the project planner. could explain the current status. BTW, Walter, there is not even a DP for the Hotel yet. And that work that is taking place, nothing to do with the hotel. "Brutal!"
    Re the Quarters Plan: to plan a plan, its not a plan unless there is an implementation and funding plan.

Huh...doesn't look like regency east
    www.decl.org

Those buildings in the rendering looks like it is the Corners development. The view looks like it is looking east on 102 Ave. The blue roof building on the left looks like the Edmonton Chinatown Multicultural Centre and you can see the outline of the residential tower on a portion of left tower.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,81.89,,0,0.47
    Last edited by ChrisD; 12-03-2011 at 07:11 PM.

C2E SME

I think one thing that would help the Quarters is if the Shaw Conference Centre is expanded north, with conference facilities and a hotel.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Expand it north to where? ATB Place, the Alberta Hotel, and Canada Place are kind of in the way.

C2E SME

I was thinking north, east of 97 Street. The spot where the former Gem Theatre could serve as an entrance for the north conference centre and hotel. That could be located at 101A Avenue, east of 97 Street.

C2E SME

Well the interesting thing about this part of downtown is that the developement plans have been even longer than they mentioned. Now with that said this area is finally moving forward with the work on the boyle renaissance project and wasn't there some sort of announcement recently that the ukranian museum finally got some additional funding? If that hotel is getting built sometime this year then that will definitely change the area. Now if someone in city council could push for a Boyle street LRT station at 95 ave, that would further help the area move forward.

Not sure these belong here, but I couldn't find a dedicated thread...these are pics of Boyle Renaissance from yesterday:

Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

C2E SME

I'm very impressed of how quickly things seems to be moving along.

Default Boyle Renaissance

What is the Boyle Renaissance and what are they building there?

Lots of information on that here.

Default Old Town vs The Quarters

I was recently in Omaha, Nebraska, a city with a population, and even climate, very much like Edmonton's. We rarely saw any people downtown and I attribute this to the large suburban office buildings. The exception however was their old area that was turned into a restaurant, and gallery district. It was usually packed with people (and this is the off season). There was nothing special there insofar as infrastructure except for the cobblestone roads and wide sidewalks and many old buildings. At some point there were enough restaurants to make it a destination. These were mostly lower and mid-priced places that you could just walk into and have something big or something small to eat. It looked like a great model for our own Quarters area. We would need more structures to replace the vacant lots, and the Gibson block would need to be an anchor with a pub and multi-level eatery but it would be possible.
    I only managed one shot of it with a pocket camera but picture this in Edmonton.

The photo was taken during the week. On the weekend it was packed. Another important feature was that a ball park and other facilities were not too far away. Omaha was a odd town with more parkades than I've ever seen in one city. Very few vacant lots but huge parkades. No trains, almost no buses (and none that we saw with more than five or six people in them). In Omaha you drove to where you wanted to go.

Another interesting feature was that they had only two tall office towers but the downtown was still large, with many smaller office buildings. It was a lot like our government centre area with six to fifteen storey buildings. Certainly it showed that height wasn't everything.

They did have a crime problem though. This sign was posted on one of their taller and newer buildings. It is used by an insurance company (Omaha must be the insurance company capital of America). To put this into perspective, imagine this sign on the one of our newer towers - if they had direct access to outside - such as Manulife Place.

Sometimes you just have to go somewhere else to truly appreciate Edmonton.

Gibson Block = my all-time favourite heritage building in Edmonton. I can't wait to see how they will incorporate it into the redevelopment.

U see those signs all over the US, especially in Texas ("no guns allowed in tunnel", or "please leave your weapon at reception").

I agree downtowns don't need tall buildings to be lively. The most important thing, IMO, is to not be full of empty gravel lots.

C2E SME

I hope that there will be some other development starting up in the Quarters this year. A nice new hotel or a new residential building sure would be nice.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    U see those signs all over the US, especially in Texas ("no guns allowed in tunnel", or "please leave your weapon at reception").
    Generally it's in states where you don't need to get a concealed permit to carry a gun concealed, or carrying openly is legal.

C2E SME

So two elements that can help the Quarters move forward at least a little bit is if/when is the city going to redevelop 96 st into "the Armature" and also I wonder when we can hopefully see the adult store at the end of 96 st and Jasper Ave closed or moved elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    So two elements that can help the Quarters move forward at least a little bit is if/when is the city going to redevelop 96 st into "the Armature" and also I wonder when we can hopefully see the adult store at the end of 96 st and Jasper Ave closed or moved elsewhere.
    When the city decides to buy out the peepshows' iron-clad, longterm lease. It's going to be an expensive pill to swallow.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^It's apparently the Massey Prenup of lease agreements.

if it wasn't for the massive and out of place BMO building, the burnt out K-R Block and the scaffolding that has been up for over a year, Rice Howard Way would look pretty similar to that first picture. At least I think so...

Default What is the Quarters

So If I understand correctly, the Quarters are to be a sort of Edmonton old town with restaurants, shopping and the usually stuff. Can we really support a full old town type area when we have three others already? We have Rice Howard Way, the 104 Street warehouse area, and the whole of Whyte Ave. Can any city of similar size really provide a market for that many old town type places. I realize they are not all the same but the concepts are similar. On top of the fact that we already have our existing old towns, the Quarters has the well known problems that must be fixed before it's going anywhere. Problems like the adult video (strange I didn't notice any of those while in the States), the non-recreation or entertainment oriented existing use of buildings such as men's and women's shelters, the vacant lots and the fact that most of the old buildings have either fallen down or been taken down already. Those are a lot of obstacles to overcome!

What's wrong with having more "old towns"? What would you rather have, more Oliver Square style stripmalls?

C2E SME

The thing with the Quarters though is that it is supposed to also have much more residential as compared to other areas. Rice Howard for example is just businesses as far as I know and Whyte Ave as we all know is businesses, restaurants and bars with some residential on 82 ave proper. Quarters if it can get moving will be more of a self sustainable residential neighborhood with maybe a main street with businesses, if I understand the concept correctly.

I think it would be great if we had several old town districts. My question is whether we are speading the entertainment areas too thin by creating so many of them. If it works, that is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    When the city decides to buy out the peepshows' iron-clad, longterm lease. It's going to be an expensive pill to swallow.
    If they want the image of the quarters to improve and attract developers the city will have no choice but to buy them out. Even though they are a legitimate business the sheer visibility of the peep shows on that corner is a detriment.
    There is also another peep show a bit further west along Jasper another blight. They should be encouraged to relocate elsewhere somehow.

Gentrification or redevelopment isn't cheap

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Doesn't happen overnight either. I'd say the old "Boyle Street" has come a long way from what it used to be. Go back some 10 or 15 years ago, and it was rife with flophouses, dive bars with "no knifes" signs, crack houses, hourly hotels, drugs and all kinds of shady characters. It used to be a hooker stroll, and you'd see entire convoys circling the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I'd say the old "Boyle Street" has come a long way from what it used to be. Go back some 10 or 15 years ago, and it was rife with flophouses, dive bars with "no knifes" signs, crack houses, hourly hotels, drugs and all kinds of shady characters. It used to be a hooker stroll, and you'd see entire convoys circling the blocks.
    It sure has, the area around the police headquarters has become very calm and quiet. I sometimes walk past there on the way to McCauley from downtown even in the early evening and the whole atmosphere is much different from what it was before.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E SME

I think the absence of multiple places where you can get stabbed definitely helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Doesn't happen overnight either. I'd say the old "Boyle Street" has come a long way from what it used to be. Go back some 10 or 15 years ago, and it was rife with flophouses, dive bars with "no knifes" signs, crack houses, hourly hotels, drugs and all kinds of shady characters. It used to be a hooker stroll, and you'd see entire convoys circling the blocks.
    Excellent point! It is nowhere near as bad as it used to be. Now it is just very down at heels, and desolate with pockets of seedy ie aformentioned "entertainment venues" thrown into the mix.

But it has quite a long way to go to be vibrant and or respectable. It will take time as you said. But it does need the initial catalysts to provide that.
    Last edited by NielCole; 20-04-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Perhaps it has been decided. The store is closed as of last Friday...

C2E SME

OH?? Don't mess with me, that would be great if that store is gone. I might have to check that out for myself. That woudl be a major major improvement.

^ I certainly don't have any 'inside info' but it was definitely closed when I walked by on Friday. And since it is usually open on Christmas day, I don't think the proprietor is the sort of chap who would close it in honour of Good Friday

Passover?

C2E SME

Well I passed by there yesterday and I saw that everything seem to have been removed and there was a sign that said Closed and it also referred to the other location on stony plain road. So my guess is that they are closed for business in the downtown.

^Good news. Always surprised me the store stayed in business for as long as it did.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

grish

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    ^Good news. Always surprised me the store stayed in business for as long as it did.
    perhaps, the patrons have moved to the on-line offerings... either way–good news for downtown.

I was also amazed by how long that peepshow place lasted. I'd have thought it would have closed after the hooker stroll died there. Still, the closing of this place and knocking down the last of the old flophouse/dive bar hotels are great moves ahead.

My next wishes:
    - move the women's shelter out of the Gibson Block
    - close down the Grierson minimum security prison

Question:
    Why is the old auto shop site at Jasper Ave/95 St fenced off? Are they doing the dreaded 20-year soil remediation?

Second crane erected for Boyle Renaissance:

Well I passed by there yesterday and I saw that everything seem to have been removed and there was a sign that said Closed and it also referred to the other location on stony plain road. So my guess is that they are closed for business in the downtown.
    Yup, I emailed Walter Trocenko at the City of Edmonton to confirm. Here is his reply:

Hello James - indeed we have purchased the xxx and we are in the process of confirming a new tenant.
    This is consistent with previous Quarters planning.

grish

too bad for Stoney Plain Rd.

Nice to see more positive change there.

The only thing still really dodgy about the Quarters area is the fact that it's so deserted (gravel lots everywhere) and a lot of the serviceable buildings are unkempt.

Confirming a new tennant? Hm.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Someone slipped this under my door yesterday. I'm not sure who, or what this is, but it sure would be an improvement......

Tan tan ? by Canadax, on Flick

...over what is there now.

Tan tan by Canadax, on Flickr
    Violating Foolhardy Tyranny

Yes please!
    www.decl.org

^^^ Excellent upgrade.

Edit: is this to be stucco?

Noticed yesterday the signage is off the peeps.
    Last edited by Dialog; 21-05-2011 at 10:14 AM.

C2E SME

Wow, if they were to renovate the facade to look like that, it would be a vast vast improvment to that part of the block. I sure hope that is whats going on and hopefully it will be done right. I still think the lot right next to this one would also be great for a restaurant with a nice patio with a little fountain in front.

No stucco from the looks of it, the original brick. Man, that'd be great. I love the New Tan Tan.

Hell yea, New Tan Tan is delicious and the building can match.

C2E SME

I think if buildings like New Tan Tan and others on 97 Street were fixed up, this would be a great start.

C2E SME

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...793/story.html
    Let's hope that the Quarters keeps moving along. I think the LRT and an LRT stop in the Quarters will also help the area.
    I hope too that there will be a new project happen in the quarters as the article suggests for later this year. A new hotel and the Ukrainian musuem can help the area too.

C2E SME

Like other parts of downtown, the growth in the Quarters will have to be organic. I think the park space along 96 Street will add to this area, and if 97 Street gets a good mix of businesses, it will provide a great connection with the Arts District.

C2E SME

It's important though to see some new development to give others encouragement that the area is moving forward. One one side of things though, it's been good to see the last bit of businesses that have led to the negative reputation of the area leave the area.

Speaking of The Quarters, it looks like BCM is at Executive Committee requesting funding under the Cornerstones program for 40 affordable housing units in their Five Corners Tower 1 project.

http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/c...1101424166.PDF

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Speaking of The Quarters, it looks like BCM is at Executive Committee requesting funding under the Cornerstones program for 40 affordable housing units in their Five Corners Tower 1 project.

I don't recall seeing that rendering before. Is it far enough along in the process to be considered the anticipated design?

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post

I don't recall seeing that rendering before. Is it far enough along in the process to be considered the anticipated design?
    Anticipated maybe, set-in-stone no. This came up at the Quarters open house at city hall last Wendesday, it is not a finalized design.

C2E SME

Now if something like that could be built on that site I think the Quarters would definitely start moving forward a whole lot quicker.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Now if something like that could be built on that site I think the Quarters would definitely start moving forward a whole lot quicker.
    Well, certainly Jasper east. It would be nice to see this ball moving, and maybe other development along Jasper shortly after (or concurrent with.) Let's get the Quarters moving soon, and hopefully shovels will be in the ground for the LRT by next year.

Looks good... But it's a BCM project. That alone worries me.

There was an advert in Metro today for the BCM project.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

www.decl.org

2 Towers it seems

www.decl.org

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Will the 2nd tower be on the other side of Jasper?? I recall seeing a rendering of that...

20% of the one tower will be social housing... as per the journal. I think by social housing they mean affordable housing which is rentals 10-15% BELOW MARKET VALUE.

Not true "social" housing.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

What a boost that'll provide if it actually gets built. Wow.

Imagine...people actually using LMP.

Let's hope BCM has changed their ways. Cutting corners only leads to disappointing developments of poor quality.

^Exactly. That's my big concern with this project. BCM and GMH don't have a great track record in terms of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    20% of the one tower will be social housing... as per the journal. I think by social housing they mean affordable housing which is rentals 10-15% BELOW MARKET VALUE.

Not true "social" housing.
    Correct. The proposed units would be better called near-market housing.

And the requirement to keep rents 10 to 15% below average market rents is a better deal than it may first appear. Average market rent includes a lot of rental stock that is fully paid for and/or is in poor condition. A more apt comparison would be with newly built market rental accommodation which would require rents 40 to 50% above average market rents to be viable.

Calgary's East Village (quarters equivalent) has its 1st substantial building moving forward by means of BOSA from Vancouver who they directly marketed this project to... what are we doing?

(http://i.imgur.com/E76Nd.jpg)
    www.decl.org

... what are we doing?
    This is something.

Edmonton kickstarts downtown redevelopment with $56 million

CBC News Posted: Jun 22, 2011 12:14 PM MT

Edmonton dedicated $56 million to improving infrastructure on the downtown eastside Wednesday kickstarting a program to redevelop the largely vacant lands.

"The key factors for a vibrant downtown are coming together," said Gary Klassen, with the city’s sustainable development department. "Significant mixed use development, expanded LRT, wide-ranging professional and retail services and incredible cultural facilities."

Calgary's East Village (quarters equivalent) has its 1st substantial building moving forward by means of BOSA from Vancouver who they directly marketed this project to... what are we doing?
    Rental yields are way better in Calgary.

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    ... what are we doing?
    This is something.

Edmonton kickstarts downtown redevelopment with $56 million

CBC News Posted: Jun 22, 2011 12:14 PM MT

Edmonton dedicated $56 million to improving infrastructure on the downtown eastside Wednesday kickstarting a program to redevelop the largely vacant lands.

"The key factors for a vibrant downtown are coming together," said Gary Klassen, with the city’s sustainable development department. "Significant mixed use development, expanded LRT, wide-ranging professional and retail services and incredible cultural facilities."
    Yup, that is very good news and a good step forward, but there seems to be a lack of private interest from outside of Edmonton. We need to promote this spot better.
    www.decl.org

Boyle Renaissance yesterday:

2 Towers it seems

is it going to built both towers instead of one ??
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Default Orient Travel Centre

while out driving today, I noticed that there is construction fencing (with a huge PCL sign on it) around the lot on the SE corner of 101A Ave and 97 street (the building that used to have the orient travel centre, that's north of hardware grill and the new tan tan)... anybody know what's happening there?

C2E SME

hmmmm, must be something really new cause I didn't think I saw anything there the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankyFourFingers View Post
    while out driving today, I noticed that there is construction fencing (with a huge PCL sign on it) around the lot on the SE corner of 101A Ave and 97 street (the building that used to have the orient travel centre, that's north of hardware grill and the new tan tan)... anybody know what's happening there?
    For the facelift of the New Tan Tan building? There was a render posted earlier in this thread.

East Village is moving even faster now, I was surprised driving through it recently. Its still has a long way to go, but huge amounts are being invested in it now, including, a new public library. To go with a National Music Centre, and a rumoured soon to be announced new Gallery for Calgary:

The Herald has learned from various sources that council will vote Monday to approve the site directly east of City Hall, which a consultants' report preferred over four other downtown options.

It will be the second major cultural destination in East Village, a few dozen metres from where the $132-million National Music Centre will rise.
    It seems in Calgary they aren't afraid to tax property owners even more than in Edmonton to get these projects going:

Funding is the other key. The city has also committed $175 million - mainly from a new fund carved out of a property-tax hike - and now the provincial government is taking interest in a pitch to combine the project with another cultural facility, likely an art gallery.
    Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ce...#ixzz1SwHVedsS

I guess in Edmonton, aside from Boyle Renaissance, Quarters has really been left in the too hard basket / will take quite a bit longer to get going. That's especially the case now that the North Edge seems to be the priority with the RAM / Arena, etc.
    Last edited by moahunter; 23-07-2011 at 08:36 AM.

C2E SME

I think the real catalyst for the Quarters will be the SE LRT. Just think, LRT connections to SE, NE, South and to a smaller extent, NW. Other projects like the Royal Alberta Museum will help, but the Quarters needs something of higher quality (not junk) to attract more residents.

Addicted to C2E

Well, i think a lot can be done between now and whenever(probably not this decade) SE LRT happens. The Boyle Renaissance project is fairly significant in scope and will provide community ammenities which will be far more useful than a new LRT line. I mean the existing LRT line isn't that far anyway and there are tons of busses through this area.

Hasn't the city already budgeted for infrastructure upgrades in the Quarters? They could definetely get going on some streetscape improvements if that's the plan.

Can the city somehow partner with UCAMA to get their museum off the drawing board? They've already secured some federal dollars. Perhaps with the city's help and some focused fundraising we can finally see this thing happen.

It's the residential developers that we really need to step up to the plate here. After all there should be an opportunity to build some fairly high spec housing in this area that could undercut the same product in other city neighbourhoods quite significantly. The city may have to kick in some kind of residential grant program at first before things really start to happen. Buyers need an incentive to buy just as much as builders need an incentive to build.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast