Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Ugh !

Credo is a total bungholio festival.
    Stick to beer dives and what you know.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    HATE the individual serving cup crap.

Van Houtte is note particularly good IMO.
    Amen.

Haven't bought a coffee anywhere since my wife bought me an Aeropress for xmas. Run don't walk.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I like the individual serving cup crap for the convenience, but definitely need to buy the right brand of cups because many of them produce weak horsecrap.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

There is a little bubble tea place in city center east. They do a combo of a tea imported from hong kong, condensed milk and coffee....

its awesome.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I prefer tea over coffee.
    Same here. Never got used to the taste of java but if I have to have coffee...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...pper-Small.jpg

Credo is the only consistently good latte downtown imo...

Second Cup (Gingerbread Latte is my fav)

But I rarely buy coffee nowadays. Tassimo Nabob Latte with a spoonful of condense milk FTW.

Gingerbread latte is not coffee, it is a dessert.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^ Tim Horton's English Toffee/French Vanilla is a dessert.

Actually McDonald's coffee isn't bad either.

"Sound of real coffee coming out of my nose"...

ahhhh...

No to all your choices....
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

How Starbucks Gets Away With Charging a Fortune for Cheap Beans - Bloomberg Business

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...or-cheap-beans

I'd rather C2E than work!

They don't get away with it with me.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

The best coffee is Nescafe instant made at home.

Oh wow, a blast from the past. If I was to do this poll again, Tesoro and Axis would be replaced by:

Credo
    Transcend
    District
    Coffee Bureau
    Lock Stock Coffee
    Burrow (Central LRT)
    Iconoclast
    Little Brick
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I like Cafe Sorrentino. I think they strike the right balance between price, and quality and consistency, which is to say they serve an acceptable espresso product for an acceptable price.

One place I wanted to like but just can't is Transcend. There's something really unwelcoming and fanboyish about the place -- they're like a comic book shop of coffee. And they also have ridiculous hours. 7pm on a long summer night, Remedy across the street is busy and they're closed.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Exactly what a relative just told me. They've discovered, rediscovered, Nescafé.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Exactly what a relative just told me. They've discovered, rediscovered, Nescafé.
    Thanks, KC.

The best coffee is not the same thing as the best place to spend time with friends (over coffee as an excuse) or the best pickup because I gotta work and need the best caffeine bang for the buck (so I gotta get me some java).

As a hang-out places like Credo or whatever hold no candle whatever to the venerable old La Gare, smoke-filled and truly revolutionary back around 1990.

As a caffeine pick-me-up, almost anything will do, from Red Bull to Jolt to Timmie to whatever. But the convenience of forming infinite line-ups at Timmie's has nothing to do with the taste of the coffee they serve.

Coffee itself... is a difficult topic. The true snob will excoriate espresso as much as bewed percolated liquid. For the one true way to serve coffee has never varied from what the Turks and Armenians did once: to bring a thick micro-brew to a boil in a miniature metal Erlenmeyer flask with a long handle (you shouldn't call it an ibrik or a cezve unless you speak Turkish.)

Espresso is precisely what it means: mass consumption made on the fly.

The joy of Nescafe is that it takes no talent and no equipment. And it lacks both the bitterness of espresso and the wateriness of most brewed coffee.

All that said, the best cafe (as opposed to coffee) is any decent Second Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Like it too, gotta have lots of real cream tho

First One is Always Free

Default CB for the win

I vote for Coffee Bureau, their Americano is the best in the city, IMO. The owners are great. Luckily I work down the street from their shop, and it's become an everyday/every other day stop for me.

Second Cup news... new formats are coming to Alberta it seems.

What the heck is a: "Alpha dominche steampunk brewer"?

Found some article on it and posted below. So... maybe your specific favourite recipe will be encoded to future rewards cards/devices to get the exact same cup of whatever every time.

And some new Starbucks format too...

Second Cup CEO attempts to jolt struggling chain
    Alix Box believes going upscale is the only way for the slumping Canadian chain to win the bitter coffee war.
    By: Lisa Wright Business Reporter, Published on Sun Aug 09 2015

When Alix Box became vice president of operations at Starbucks Canada in 1997, Second Cup was the top gourmet coffee shop in the country, and she had her work cut out for her.
    “Second Cup was the premium brand, and I know that because I competed against it,” says Box, now chief executive of the struggling Mississauga-based chain.

She’s on familiar ground though, because back when she started at Starbucks, the Seattle-based coffee behemoth that launched in Vancouver in 1987 had only opened its first Toronto outlets in 1996, the year before she started. Born in 1975, Second Cup was the wily veteran and by far the most popular.

“When I was at Starbucks, we were number three. Timothy’s was number two, and Second Cup was the leader in specialty coffee,” she recalls, sipping an espresso frappe at the company’s first modernized café at King and John Sts. ..."

Though The Second Cup Ltd. continued to lose money in the second quarter, Box says she is encouraged by the 43 per cent jump in year-to-date sales at the chain’s first of many so-called ‘cafés of the future’. Another was unveiled in July ...

She plans to aggressively push forward with the rollout of its new format stores, with up to 45 per cent of the 337-store chain totally overhauled by the end of 2017.

“We have a lot of new projects in the hopper. Any new store will have this concept,” she says, adding existing locations will be converted as leases come up.

She also says the company is pursuing an undisclosed number of new locations in Ontario, Quebec and Alberta over the next two years."

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015...ing-chain.html

" The Mississauga-based company isn't the only coffee company struggling to makes gains as coffee consumption is showing signs of capping, and growth slows in a heavily saturated market. Starbucks just recently opened a higher-end "reserve" store and roastery specializing in small-lot exclusive beans and high-tech brewing in Seattle-reportedly costing more than $20 million.

Here in Canada, Second Cup had been seeing financial losses for some time, and last February took on Alix Box, who held senior positions at Starbucks and Holt Renfrew, as new president and CEO. She's been aggressively trying to bring new life to the company ever since; if this new location's redesign is successful, all the franchises will see a revamp along these lines.

In the centre is a horseshoe-shaped slow bar with a white porcelain pour over station and the crème de la crème - the Alpha dominche steampunk brewer, the first of its kind in Canada. They use a bright yellow La Marzocco machine. ..."

http://blogto4.rssing.com/chan-4198260/all_p47.html

"To see the Steampunk in action, I went to La Colombe Torrefaction in New York City. The owners of La Colombe were so smitten with the Steampunk demos last year, they demanded to be the first specialty coffee shop in the world to have it sitting on their coffee bar. The machine itself is quite impressive to behold:..."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/18/42...nche-steampunk

Alpha Dominche's Steampunk gives baristas total control

"First unveiled at the 2012 Specialty Coffee Association of America Exposition (SCAA), where it took the Best New Product prize, the American-made Steampunk Coffee and Tea Brewer doesn't do espresso, but..."
    "The Steampunk achieves this by using a steam boiler and a computer to control a wide range of specific parameters, such as water temperature, agitation and water pressure as well as three grades of metal filters to reproduce a range of brewing methods. An added benefit of the system is that it’s programmable, allowing baristas to create new coffee recipes that can be recreated at the touch of the screen. This programmability also means that..."

~
    Last edited by KC; 20-08-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ameheu View Post
    I vote for Coffee Bureau, their Americano is the best in the city, IMO. The owners are great. Luckily I work down the street from their shop, and it's become an everyday/every other day stop for me.
    1000% agree.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Just bought an AeroPress. Extreme happy with it. Makes a better cup with good beans than any of the $4+ hipster joints in the city. Next step, better grinder.

I've got one of these that I would highly recommend if you'd like something that's portable to haul around with your Aeropress to/from work.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Well, a Steampunk costs $15,000 US.

Just wait, you'll see people buying them for their 'upscale' kitchens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Just bought an AeroPress. Extreme happy with it. Makes a better cup with good beans than any of the $4+ hipster joints in the city. Next step, better grinder.
    I like Bodum stuff, and have this burr grinder ($120). Really good for the money. Used daily for at least a few years now without a hitch. Highly recommend for the money. I looked at grinders in the hundreds of dollars, but this one does the trick and doesn't take up much space.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I've heard that this coffee maker works great:

http://www.worldcoffeepress.com/wp-c...scafespoon.jpg

And no k-cups, filters or other environmental disasters to deal with.

^ I'd sooner drink a hot cup of my own urine in the morning than touch instant, much less instant made by a company so unethical it makes Monsanto look like Ben & Jerry's.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Ahh, next I was going to push the KC cup. It's far superior to the k-cup despite any bad taste it might leave in your mouth.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...BL._SY355_.jpg

Yeah, I'll stick to my Aeropress with stainless steel filter, & Zojirushi travel mug thanks. No spills & no consumables but water & beans for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    I like Cafe Sorrentino. I think they strike the right balance between price, and quality and consistency, which is to say they serve an acceptable espresso product for an acceptable price.
    Completely agreed.
    One place I wanted to like but just can't is Transcend. There's something really unwelcoming and fanboyish about the place -- they're like a comic book shop of coffee. And they also have ridiculous hours. 7pm on a long summer night, Remedy across the street is busy and they're closed.
    Completely disagreed.

While I like the value and convenience balance of Cafe Sorentinos, Transcend (in Mercer) might actually get my vote for best coffee (esp. when you get the mustachioed barista.)

Haven't actually tried Coffee Bureau, but Burrow is very nice.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    I like Bodum stuff, and have this burr grinder ($120). Really good for the money. Used daily for at least a few years now without a hitch. Highly recommend for the money. I looked at grinders in the hundreds of dollars, but this one does the trick and doesn't take up much space.

Ha, I have this grinder, I got it a lot cheaper some years ago. It looks nice, but is a bit annoying design wise as if you leave it grinding too long it creates a bit of a mess. I like filtered coffee, and actually found a cool looking super cheap model that makes a great cup, every bit as good as any coffee shop (better than more expensive models I've had in the past):

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/bella-li.../1455237382394

It all depends on what you like though. If you like just plain black coffee, there is no reason to every buy, except for the social aspects. If you are more into all the fancy girly coffee's with foamed cream or milk or what not, then yeah, a coffee shop makes sense as while you can do it at home, it makes a bit of a mess / takes time.
    Last edited by moahunter; 22-08-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Tried Little Brick this week. A good $4 latte hit the spot for me and a nice quiet, tucked away location, too.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Edmonton writer explores our city's love of bad coffee
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ffee-1.3281673

I love Jamaican coffee, we bring back a few bags when we holiday there. Mellow, but strong. I don't mind Starbucks, Second cup is ghastly. TH, ugh no thankyou.. I don't drink a lot of coffee on the advice of my doctor. That's why I love Jamaican Blue Mountain.

I had a cup of the gravity drip stuff or whatever at Remedy a while back and it was very very good. Not sure what kind of bean they used but it wasn't burnt, yet was very rich, smooth, and flavourful.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

This is in London. However, interesting about the guy's liver...

'Shocking' sugar levels in High Street hot drinks, warns charity - BBC News

Action on Sugar analysed 131 hot drinks and found a third contained at least as much sugar as a can of Pepsi or Coca-Cola, which contains nine teaspoons.

The charity said in some of the worst cases the drinks contained 20 or more teaspoons of sugar.
    Coffee shop chains Starbucks, Costa and Caffe Nero said they were committed to reducing sugar content in their drinks.

The drinks assessed included flavoured coffees such as mochas and lattes, hot fruit drinks and hot chocolates from coffee shops and fast food chains.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35593007

One year anniversary of Coffee Bureau today. Handing out a cute little letterpress thank you card and magnet.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Who can you always count on for a great coffee?
    This is a multiple choice poll.
    Starbucks has always been my favorite. However, Tim Hortons's fraps also taste great. I also love Gloria Jean's Toffee Nut.

Thanks you for bumping this thread and welcome to the board cerwrys.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    One year anniversary of Coffee Bureau today. Handing out a cute little letterpress thank you card and magnet.
    Rats !

Top_Dawg missed this.

Must haves to be sure.

Are there any left Greener ?

Feb 24, 2016 post TD.

heh, the term today often throws people off on old bumped threads..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

No Top_Dawg caught the date.

He just finds it funny when some jabroni on here hypes a thank you card and magnet as if anyone gives a flying ***.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 02-10-2017 at 11:05 AM.

^I cared. And I care about you. Big hugs!
    www.decl.org

^^Yeah, I detected some sarcasm. I didn't think you wanted the fridge magnet as a collector item.

To even mention "letterpress" thank you card seems a little NY jabroni as well. These are like World Class thank you cards. Not the run of the mill kind found..

One would think some people here get kickbacks for serial mentions of local or DT establishments.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12