Thread: Alberta Transportation - 3-year construction projects

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Alberta Transportation - 3-year construction projects

http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFT...s2008-2011.pdf

Street Lights on QE2 to YEG:
    2 Airport Road - Edmonton SCL (Lighting) Construct Lighting .

New Grande Prairie bypass:
    43X Structure: Hermit Lake (86139-01) Grande Prairie
    ByPass
    Twinning - Structure .

43X Structure: Bear River Grande Prairie ByPass
    (E&WBL) (86138E,86138W,& 07301)
    Twinning - Structure .

43X 116 Street (RR63) - Hwy 2 and 43 N of Grande
    Prairie
    Grading, Base, Full Paving .

NW AHD:
    216 EDMONTON NORTH WEST RING ROAD (Hwy 16 West to Manning Drive)Grading, Base, Full Paving 22
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Lights on Queenie Weenie Duece?
    WooHoo!

Maybe they could reurface at the same time

First One is Always Free

Look at all that Deerfoot construction...

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Lights on Queenie Weenie Duece?
    WooHoo!

Maybe they could reurface at the same time
    Hwy 39 - Edmonton SBL is already tendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFT...s2008-2011.pdf

Street Lights on QE2 to YEG:
    2 Airport Road - Edmonton SCL (Lighting) Construct Lighting .
    Really? Lighting on QE2? What does SCL stand for?

EDIT: Never mind. Found it in the glossary of the pdf. SCL = South City Limit. Wow. I can hardly believe it. Perhaps all those eloquent letters I wrote to my MLA weren't a waste of cyberspace after all.
    Last edited by IKAN104; 23-04-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nriviera View Post
    Look at all that Deerfoot construction...
    Speaking of Calgary I also saw a Crowchild Trail interchange in that pdf. Since when is the province responsible for Crowchild Trail? Considering they refuse to take the Yellowhead within Edmonton I find that mildly disturbing.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I believe thats an interchange for the Calgary ring road.

C2E Continued Contributor

I love the idea of getting lights set up (Street lighting - NOT the intersection traffic lights type!) for the QE2 from Edmonton to YEG, as well as the NW AHD going up.

I also like the fact that highway twinning is a go through the Sturgeon Lake First Nation just west of Valleyview and also west of Grande Prairie from Wembley to Beaverlodge (see from Hwy 723 to 724), though I wish they'd do more for the Hwy 43X bypass, as in getting it all the way to just west of GP Airport.

Not that much twinning activity on Hwy 63 either, save for the Fort Mac area itself.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon-14 View Post
    I believe thats an interchange for the Calgary ring road.
    Well in that case I can accept it.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    I love the idea of getting lights set up (Street lighting - NOT the intersection traffic lights type!) for the QE2 from Edmonton to YEG, as well as the NW AHD going up.

I also like the fact that highway twinning is a go through the Sturgeon Lake First Nation just west of Valleyview and also west of Grande Prairie from Wembley to Beaverlodge (see from Hwy 723 to 724), though I wish they'd do more for the Hwy 43X bypass, as in getting it all the way to just west of GP Airport.
    First of all, what do you define as "Intersection Traffic Lights Type" and "Street Lighting". Are you trying to compare 30 meter structures vs the typical 13-15m structures? They serve completely different functions

Second of all, I think the continous lighting between Airport Road and the city limits is not needed. There's nothing to warrant the continous lighting, other than government officals with big wallets. The only lighting that should exist is where the geometry warrants it (i.e., interchanges, decision areas, etc).

The lighting between 9th ave SW- 23 Ave is already enough of a disaster, why add on to it?

Quote Originally Posted by e909 View Post
    Second of all, I think the continous lighting between Airport Road and the city limits is not needed. There's nothing to warrant the continous lighting, other than government officals with big wallets. The only lighting that should exist is where the geometry warrants it (i.e., interchanges, decision areas, etc).
    The lighting on the QE2 is need for several reasons.
    a) The traffic volume has dramatically increased between YEG and the city, even at night with 3-4 lanes per direction.
    b) Industrial and residential growth is anticipated along the corridor, along with at least one or two more interchanges planned.
    c) Having the lights will help reduce the feeling that YEG is out in the middle of nowhere - they serve as visual connectors to the city. First-time visitors to a strange new city notice such things.

a) The traffic volume has dramatically increased between YEG and the city, even at night with 3-4 lanes per direction.
    b) Industrial and residential growth is anticipated along the corridor, along with at least one or two more interchanges planned.
    c) Having the lights will help reduce the feeling that YEG is out in the middle of nowhere - they serve as visual connectors to the city. First-time visitors to a strange new city notice such things.
    TBH I didn't think about your third point. That's fairly valid.

I at least hope the department of transportation uses a similar pole and light fixture to the city of edmonton stuff to give everything a consistent look.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I at least hope the department of transportation uses a similar pole and light fixture to the city of edmonton stuff to give everything a consistent look.
    as in rusty and crooked?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post
    as in rusty and crooked?
    I realize you're trying to be funny, but the blue light standards along Calgary Trail and Gateway Blvd. are definitely not rusty or crooked.

as in rusty and crooked?
    Same style and color..

I was hoping to see some kind've provincial contribution to our 23rd ave interchange
    Last edited by Speedyturtle; 01-05-2008 at 03:49 AM.

23rd ave is being done by the city, not the province.

23rd ave interchange is actually already under construction...

They've actually been working on it for quite awhile, I had thought. They were moving underground utilities and pipelines around, the kind of work that you don't really see many visible signs of. I believe that's all been completed now, and they're starting earth/road works.

All's I know is that I'll be avoiding that area of the city like the plague for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    as in rusty and crooked?
    I realize you're trying to be funny, but the blue light standards along Calgary Trail and Gateway Blvd. are definitely not rusty or crooked.

I saw what looked like a bunch of new blue light poles in the ditch along Gateway between 23 and 34.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

First of all, what do you define as "Intersection Traffic Lights Type" and "Street Lighting". Are you trying to compare 30 meter structures vs the typical 13-15m structures? They serve completely different functions

The lighting between 9th ave SW- 23 Ave is already enough of a disaster, why add on to it?
    What's the point of wasting energy lighting up the QE2? Are people crossing the road, or are there intersections where you might not see a car? Last time I checked, all cars have headlights for lighting up highways.
    ETS Trolley Buses - 1939 to 2010 - R.I.P.

Umm Lightrail lighting QE2 to the airport has finished construction, it was on an earlier 3 year plan. I was just posting a link to a new 3 year plan from AB Transportation.

I will say driving in blizzard with street lights does seem to be safer than just headlights alone, perhaps it is a even lighting. But there is one part near Nisku where the lights from the fab shops seem to light QE2 very nicely even before it was lit.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    It still annoys me to see so much provincial money being spent on Deerfoot Trail.

IKAN if my memory is right the City of Edmonton opted out of having the province fund the Yellowhead.

No, the city wanted the province to fund the yellowhead, but the province wanted to do the yellowhead different (ie my way, or the highway. Pun intended)

What was the province's idea for the Yellowhead Med? Freeway? Leave the traffic lights?

What? This is the first I heard of this. The province offered to fund the Yellowhead and we turned them down? What could've been so horrible that we would've said "no thanks" to hundreds of millions of dollars?

This is way back, and really just folklore as far as I'm concerned. Word of mouth. I have no real other details. Perhaps some of the older crew around here will comment more...

C2E Super Addict

^ No it's true. The Province wanted to do it to their standards (makes sense if they're paying) the city wanted to retain control, so.....

how many years ago was that?

Oh, how I wish I could turn back time...

ECCA. Yellowhead. Lights on AHD. Arlington.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzlerz View Post
    how many years ago was that?
    I'm guessing mid 80's or whenever the yellowhead was being developed, this is secondhand to me from a very reliable source.
    Mayor Mandel is a immature childish man

Maybe the offer is still on the table.

2017-20 Major Construction Projects
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/614.htm

Includes list of projects and a map