Thread: Edmonton's best burger???

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Edmonton's best burger???

Throw in your favorite or favorites...

-New favorite for me is now Fatburger.(The kingburger is the bomb)
    -Still like the odd burger baron mushroom burger aswell.

Grandma D's BBQ Burger CookHouse.

Absolutely the best. Hands down

163 st, 111ave (right beside Princess Auto)

I was there for lunch today in fact

deeeee-licious

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

deLux is VERY good on 142nd street and 96th Ave. in Crestwood. The owners brother owns a Greek restaurant up in my small town. Great blue cheese burgers to die for!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Smile Good Topic!

I lived across the street from The Garage Burger Bar for years, and enjoyed their Garlic Mushroom Burger that seems to win SEE mag's best burger every year.

Ironically, the best burger I've had in Edmonton is right next door to the Garage, at Metro Billiards. Their Perfection Burger is unbelievable! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I think it's the char-broiled sirloin, and the combination of both bacon and a slice of ham. Yum!

The two burgers represent two different classic styles. The Garage is the home-style "slider" category of burger. The Metro's is a classic gourmet burger. Remarkably similar variations of this gourmet burger are found in so many different restaurants in town that I suspect it's design originated at NAIT's culinary school.

The Metro is my favourite overall, and they do the best example of a fairly common gourmet burger. I also love the Garage Garlic Mushroom Burger, which is only found there in this particular recipe, as designed by "Chef" Paul.

I haven't tried any of the mini-burgers in town, though I plan to soon.

I'll try them all in my quest to find the perfect burger.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

MMmmmm, the burger at Original Joes is always pretty darn good. Or Gusto Burger in St. Albert, so good.

If you want the best burger in Alberta you have to drive 30 minutes south to Millet and check out Burger Barn. Mmmmmmm...
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Partially Addicted to C2E

Isn't Delux the restaurant with the billboards everywhere with the ugly anorexic lookin chick trying to eat a burger? Can't figure out how those billboards are supposed to make me want to eat there.
    I do know that the Next Act off of Whyte Ave has very good burgers that they hand make, they would have my vote for #1.

Mmmm, I third the Garage garlic mushroom burger. Very tasty.

I do miss the burgers from the long lamented but not forgotten Sweetwater Cafe.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

/\ Unfortunately Gusto Burgers is no more.
    I like Marco's on Whyte and by Grant McEwan.

Garage burger is the best to me.. the dana burger is amazing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chupa View Post
    Throw in your favorite or favorites...

-New favorite for me is now Fatburger.(The kingburger is the bomb)
    -Still like the odd burger baron mushroom burger aswell.
    i cant believe no one mentioned Red Robin. hands down the best in Edmonton, if not Canada. the variety of their burgers alone should give them the title of the best of the best.

I'm not sure if the larger chains should be included, but for me, the best chain burger is the A&W burger. I especially like the Papa Burger, though the Mozza burger is also damn good. There's something about the spice in the burger itself that sets it apart.

Burger Baron is a close second for me -- delicious sauce!
    Last edited by davidnorwoodink; 25-04-2008 at 09:14 AM.
    Almost always open to debate...

Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    I'm not sure if the larger chains should be included, but for me, the best chain burger is the A&W burger. I especially like the Papa Burger
    I'll second that, A&W Papa Burger. I was a bit disapointed with Fat Burger - wasn't that great, and seemed overpriced to me (nice experience though, "fat burger, fat burger...".)

Pete's Drive Thru in Calgary.

Hah, kidding. Totally kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by missmarble View Post
    I do miss the burgers from the long lamented but not forgotten Sweetwater Cafe.
    The sweetwater was replaced by the Urban Diner, and they make a pretty tasty burger too (although it was tastier when they used to offer it with blue cheese).

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    Pete's Drive Thru in Calgary.

Hah, kidding. Totally kidding.
    I hate to say it but I think you're right - we always wanted Peter to open an Edmonton outlet, but he wouldn't move beyond his 16th Ave. site. Haven't been there in years, so I'm not sure if the quality is as good.

But...back to Edmonton burgers!
    Almost always open to debate...

C2E Posting Power

Peter's is good, although its certainly not the best there is. It will really be a shame when #1 runs over it....its too bad we dont have a similar joint like it in Edm though, its a fun experience.

In terms of local burgers, I have to go with Garage.

I was kidding about Pete's burgers, personally I think they're terrible. If you get them without sauce they're not too bad, I guess. I guide with a ski tour company in the winter, and for whatever reason people do seem to love Pete's. But when you're stopping there every Friday/Sunday from December to April, the novelty starts to wear off and a taquito from 7-11 starts to look delicious by comparison.

Oddly enough FatBurger won the category of ''Best'' burger in Calgary lastyear...

Quote Originally Posted by chupa View Post
    Oddly enough FatBurger won the category of ''Best'' burger in Calgary lastyear...
    Reinforces my view of Calgarians I guess... in fairness, it's all a matter of taste, and all our tastes are a bit different.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Local: The Garage
    Chain: A&W Teen

As for Delux, I still can't justify shelling out 25 bucks for a burger when I can buy a steak for that amount.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I went to the Garage last night just to check out that garlic-mushroom burger they have. It was a pretty darn good burger - LOTS of 'shrooms with a hint of garlic in it. Not sure if it's truly the best IMO, but ranks way up there in my book.

I've also always liked the mini-burgers at Hudson's Tap House, too.

Re: Fat Burger

Very cool place. Great atmosphere, good service, excellent milkshakes. But the burger was truly terrible. My favourite burgers are still at Harvey's.

"Edmonton's best burger??? "
    Is not to be had on 142 street in Crestwood

As for Delux, I still can't justify shelling out 25 bucks for a burger when I can buy a steak for that amount.
    Good news then, because last time I was there all the burgers including the special were $15 or less.

^ Lux has the $25 Kobe burger. Which is worth ordering if your company is picking up the tab - otherwise, not so much.

Delux's burgers are all less expensive, but they're also pretty meh (to me anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ Lux has the $25 Kobe burger. Which is worth ordering if your company is picking up the tab - otherwise, not so much.
    We tried the Kobe starter - didn't taste much different than a regular meat patty to us. I think if you want Kobe beef - it has to be a steak to notice the difference. Beef mince, is pretty much mince, I think.

Oh, forgot to mention, I had the pemmican burger at Blue Plate on Friday and it was absolutely delicious. I wasn't sure what to expect, as I don't think I had ever had pemmican before, but it turned out to pretty much be a bison burger.

Must be lunch time.

I had the Druid Burger at The Druid last night. Great burger to be had. The fries that came with it weren't bad, either. It's also great with cheese, either cheddar or mozza and/or mushrooms.

The Druid Burger sets you back as low as $4.95 - comparable to fast food chains, but with far superior quality. Additional stuff like cheese or mushrooms, etc., are $1.00 extra. That's still a lot cheaper than the Murphy Burger at O'Byrne's (about $11.00, add'l stuff $1.00 extra, or three extra things for $2.50 more) But the Murphy's I had last Saturday was kind of meh (couldn't even taste the mozza in it!) - the patty was really falling apart (though well-cooked, somebody apparently screwed up in making the patties) in my hands, making eating it little bit challenging. Obviously, there's no contest as to which I'd choose next time.

As far as fast food chains go, the Mozza at A&W is an old favourite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    I had the Druid Burger at The Druid last night. Great burger to be had. The fries that came with it weren't bad, either. It's also great with cheese, either cheddar or mozza and/or mushrooms.

The Druid Burger sets you back as low as $4.95 - comparable to fast food chains, but with far superior quality. Additional stuff like cheese or mushrooms, etc., are $1.00 extra. That's still a lot cheaper than the Murphy Burger at O'Byrne's (about $11.00, add'l stuff $1.00 extra, or three extra things for $2.50 more) But the Murphy's I had last Saturday was kind of meh (couldn't even taste the mozza in it!) - the patty was really falling apart (though well-cooked, somebody apparently screwed up in making the patties) in my hands, making eating it little bit challenging. Obviously, there's no contest as to which I'd choose next time.
    I guess the owner will be happy either way as I believe Denis Byrne owns both places.
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

Went to the Metro after sweeping on Sunday to see if the Perfection Burger was as good as I remembered. It was. I'm hooked. It's a sign when everytime you think about it, you get really hungry.

I've never tried Red Robin. I think I may give it a shot this week. I'll try Fatburger soon. Not too sure about the name though. And Delux is on the radar, as is Hudson's for the Mini-Burger.

I don't enjoy the Harvey's Angus as much as I thought I would. A&W are good though.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Default Grandma D's

Grandma D’s offers hickory ambrosia

ELLA JAMESON / [email protected]
    What makes a good burger? Well, if you ask the folks at Grandma D’s BBQ Cookhouse, they’d say it’s all about the sauce. The barbeque sauce, that is.

A family-run business, Grandma D’s is the brainchild of Jim and Jamie Dallin, son and grandson of the infamous Grandma D herself. Those who attended the Old Strathcona Farmer’s Market in years gone by may remember her homemade barbeque sauce being sold there for close to 10 years.
    Now available on the shelves at Sobeys, the sauce is well on its way to becoming a hickory-flavored culinary phenom. This is barbeque sauce on steroids, and I can see why they decided to wrap an entire business around its recipe. Which, by the way, is top secret, so don’t ask.

Located on the west side of the city, Grandma D’s is mysteriously hidden in a comparatively industrial area just shy of Mayfield Road. Nestled among car repair shops, it barely registers as being a pit stop for eats. I’d been running some Saturday morning errands when I found myself hungry and well outside my normal patch. I remembered that a friend had bragged that this little joint had one of the best burgers in the city, and I was more than willing to confirm the rumor.

Mon - Fri (11 am - 5 pm)
    Sat (11 am - 4 pm)
    Grandma D’s BBQ Cookhouse
    16336 - 111 Ave, 443.1074
    Rest of Article at VUE: http://www.vueweekly.com/article.php?id=7981

Fudrucker's used to be the best, but sadly they're no longer here.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

I don't think there are any Fuddruckers left in Canada except in Saskatoon.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Fuddruckers when bankrupt years ago, at least as a national chain. But yes, I do remember they had good burgers, and I used to love playing their games as a kid. Ohhhh the memories.

They're still a major chain in the States.

Fuddruckers in the US and in Canada were probably owned and operated as separate companies. All I know is that the Canadian company went bankrupt years ago.

Addicted to C2E

Default when in that end of the city ...

Fatburger! Fatburger! Fatburger!

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Fuddruckers in the US and in Canada were probably owned and operated as separate companies. All I know is that the Canadian company went bankrupt years ago.
    You're probably right because the one in Saskabush looks like a Red's type of place. The Fuddruckers I've been to in the States is a chain of your typical neighborhood burger & beer pub.

Fatburger, South Edmonton Common. New franchise and has some nice staff and retro interiors. The burgers are juicy yummy greasy and of course FULL OF FLAVOUR. The fries (SKNY) are quite good as well.
    ----

Anyone been to Soda Jerks? Buddy of mine was raving about them on FB tonight.
    http://sodajerks.net/index.html

C2E SME

There's a couple of places in Sherwood Park, Skyhigh and Smash Burger. Delicious burgers there too.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Had Skyhigh a couple weeks ago and it was nothing impressive. Price was decent however and the onion rings were classics crispy and tasty. I would go again but not on my top ten list.

Jack's in S.A. hands down.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Jack's in S.A. hands down.
    What is S.A.?

S.A.=St. Albert

For sure it's Jack's whenever we're up in Sturgeon county we stop by, usually one to share is good enough for us, unless you're famished. Although often they're busy and a few times they've ran out. Lunch I think is the busiest unless you're there just after 11.

Is Jacks 100% beef or do they add filler?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

My first job was at a Burger Chef 1970. Anyone remember them? White Spot makes good burgers in BC but I haven't had one here in Edmonton. We got a Burger King across the street and in all my 15 years of living at my current location, I must have been in there 4 times. Wendy's is my go to place for burgers lately.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Does anyone remember PRINCESS BURGERS ON 124th St. & Stoney Plain Rd?
    Goes back a few years but they were dynamite.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Is Jacks 100% beef or do they add filler?
    Their beef is AAA grass-fed, fresh ground daily at D'Arcy's Meat Market in SAL.

Jacks definetly one of the better bugers. soda Jerks (SA location) is ok. We also like Rodeo Burger. In fact when my wife was in hospital with a broken leg she had me run over to Rodeo B by the U hospital because she hated the hospital food.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

confederation lounge in the fairmont hotel macdonald... unless you're really hungry take someone to share it with.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    confederation lounge in the fairmont hotel macdonald... unless you're really hungry take someone to share it with.
    Yes, it's an excellent burger and huge especially with the sides.

I just tried SmashBurger on Sunday there are 2 in the Edmonton area (St. Albert, Sherwood Park), they were better than Sky High Burgers (both were good though).
    http://locations.smashburger.com/sea...da/ab/edmonton

Not quite Jack's burger shack, but damn near.

Burger's Priest

Got there at 1120, lined up 30 deep, 50 by noon. Had the Priest with smoke (panko jalapeños). Essentially a gourmet big mac.

Simple, fresh, delicious.

Fries just ok.

(http://cdn.foodbeast.com/content/upl...r-Priest-2.jpg)
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ The new hamburgler lol!

Not quite Jack's burger shack, but damn near.

Burger's Priest

Got there at 1120, lined up 30 deep, 50 by noon. Had the Priest with smoke (panko jalapeños). Essentially a gourmet big mac.

Simple, fresh, delicious.

Fries just ok.

(http://cdn.foodbeast.com/content/upl...r-Priest-2.jpg)
    Oh stop it, that's making me hungry for one.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

How much for the burger, $25?

www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ That's not bad, fries are extra of course. Are the open evenings?

Yup, yup
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ You sound like a curling skip, lol, thanks.

Might check it out in May once the novelty wears off.

Jack's Burger Shack @JacksBS

We're coming to Edmonton! Details soon...

https://twitter.com/jacksbs/status/663079024370032640

Burger Baron double Salisbury burger. mmmm

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Red Robin specialty burgers, endless steak fries. Beer, big screen tv's what could be better. Plus you get a free burger on your birthday.

Jack's is top by a good margin, absolutely love their BBQ crunch thing.

How about RHW west of Sherlocks!
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Red Robin specialty burgers, endless steak fries. Beer, big screen tv's what could be better. Plus you get a free burger on your birthday.
    I went to the West End one recently, and was surprised how busy, and the burger was better than I remembered, as good as anywhere I have had. Agreed, although I guess not the "fast food" thing. Seems there is a bit of a scale:

1. Fast food cheap - i.e. McD, Burger King, Burger Baron
    2. Fast food premium - i.e. Five Guys, Fatburger, Carls JR (A&W is trying move in here)
    3. Fast food very premium / local - i.e. Jacks, the old Garage (miss those guys)
    4. Restaurant burgers cheap - i.e. Red Robin
    5. Restaurant burgers not cheap - i.e. Fairmont or similar.

Not sure if its really fair to compare one against another. Maybe there's a better way to scale it, not sure.
    Last edited by moahunter; 10-11-2015 at 03:00 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ We went to Humpty's (Clareview) Sunday and I had their bacon cheeseburger. Lots of thick fries. Very nice although the bun cold have been bigger.

The Burg on 104th downtown is a tasty made to order burger

If you see a Vera's Burger Shack around, give it a try. I have a feeling we may see some pop up. Tried in YVR and was very good. Looking forward to it.

First One is Always Free

Next Act on 104st and Whyte Ave

5 Guys yesterday, enjoy it less and less each time. It is fresher fast food.
    www.decl.org

5 Guys yesterday, enjoy it less and less each time. It is fresher fast food.
    I'm with Ian on this as well. I don't know what I should expect when I go back (for the record, my kids like to go there. They don't have the educated burger palette I have yet ) but underwhelmed every time.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Well it's going to be soggy every time isn't it?

i don't mind 5 guys once in a while, but slightly expensive for my taste.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Just tangentially related, but Burger Baron's twitter feed is - uh - interesting
    https://twitter.com/Burger_Baron

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/03/2...of-hospitality

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Burger baron, seriously? Even I wouldn't eat there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Just tangentially related, but Burger Baron's twitter feed is - uh - interesting
    https://twitter.com/Burger_Baron

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/03/2...of-hospitality
    I've actually hit up Burger Baron a few times in the last year because of that twitter account.

Soda Jerks, good burgers and great fries.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Has anyone tried Carl's jr. (if I have that right) Is it any good?

^Its good, like a better version of burger king (as long as you order the right ones, there are two menus).

Carls JR is still my fav. Good burger, decent value, good service, and not a long wait.

Go with the thick burger- served on a fresh baked bun!!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I have a colleague that lives out in the West End, might ask her if after work on a Saturday if she could drive me out that way. Thanks guys.

I've been very disappointed with Carls Jr in Edmonton.

Had it in a few places in the states, not sure what the difference is, but it's way better down south.

I'd take Burger King over Carls

As for Burger Baron... It's hit or miss depending on location. Anyone can call themselves a Burger Baron - its not a trademarked name, and the menu varies per restaurant.

Carl Jr's opens soon on Argyll and 75st. It's the former Arby's next to Boston Pizza.

I'll give it a try. Or apply there

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I've been very disappointed with Carls Jr in Edmonton.

Had it in a few places in the states, not sure what the difference is, but it's way better down south.

I'd take Burger King over Carls

As for Burger Baron... It's hit or miss depending on location. Anyone can call themselves a Burger Baron - its not a trademarked name, and the menu varies per restaurant.

I can't say I notice a difference in the burgers he vs stateside at Carls.

I do notice the difference in the CDN burger kings - I would have to be extremely hungry to ever eat at a CDN one again. Both times I tried it here, the bottom bun was saturated with grease - just mush.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Carl Jr's opens soon on Argyll and 75st. It's the former Arby's next to Boston Pizza.

The work on that location has all but stopped last time I went through... Did they back out?

I went and ate at Burgers Priest again the other day (tried it right when it opened and it was "alright"). The Priest Burger is spectacular, I will go back for it.

I've been enjoying the Perfection Burger at Metro Billiards for more than 15 years, I believe

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Have to check this out

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

The work on that location has all but stopped last time I went through... Did they back out?
    There is signage on the sides of the building with Carl's logo. I checked Kijiji and that location is hiring for all positions. Time to update the resume!